Vai's View: Jealousy abounds over BYU, Texas network deals

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Whatever floats your boat.
    7-6, Enjoy it. I know I will.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:40 a.m.

More good insight from a real pro. Good job Bro Sikahema.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:41 a.m.

Who would bark if BYUTV broadcast high school games?

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:43 a.m.

Vai,

Thoughtful comments but you left out a very important incredient in your analysis. If Texas goes indy where do they park all of their other sports most of which are very strong and competitive? There don't seem to be any good alternatives which is why for now Texas wants to act like an independent but remain a member of a BCS conference. BYU landed 11 of their olympic sports in the WCC which will work for them. Texas? Who knows.

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:43 a.m.

BYU Football > Any NFL Team with a high-profile BYU alum > NCAA Football generally > UofU Football

I am so glad I never have to watch BYU football on the Mtn ever again. I can't wait for the season to start.

• kswiss Norman, OK
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Chris B- your comment has nothing to do with the article. I'm in Big 12 country and they are not happy with this Texas deal.... But to be honest the Big 12 is nothing without them, so it is going to have to work. Go Sooners! Keep that #1 all year baby!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:59 a.m.

This isn't really new news as it was no secret last summer that Texas viewed what BYU was doing very closely, especially taking a very good look at BYUtv. UT wants to do the same thing, while not necessarily having to look to football independence. But I wouldn't put it past them, their brand is so great and has to be one of the top college brands in the country. They'll bide their time and eventually use their clout to push their way to get what they want. It was true before and it will remain true in the future that the Big12 is completely dependent on UT to prop them up, which is why it would have collapsed has UT left for the PACx.

They'll closely be watching the BYUtv scene, even though it'll be more to see what mistakes BYU makes rather than to see if it'll be successful. UT must be quite jealous over BYU right now and will be working and waiting until it's their turn to take control over their own visibility.

BYUtv already is a success for football independence reasons...they're visible and will remain so. Nothing else really matters to BYU.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:02 p.m.

@Dutchman - don't be surprised when more football schools declare conference independence and then band together in a conference, of sorts, for their other programs. Assuming either both schools or maybe just the home team gets broadcast rights on their own networks. It'll happen, and BYU will have been the catalyst of it all.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:05 p.m.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:09 p.m.

kswiss - are you sure you're a Sooner fan? I've never heard a Sooner fan give that kind of credit to UT.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:11 p.m.

BYU is 50-15 in the last 5 years. That's a double-digit winning season each year. So, as you can see, the 7-6 record from a year ago is the anomaly. Ute fans would have us to believe it's the norm.

Go Cougars!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Chris B:

BYU has beaten:

Miami
    Oklahoma
    Notre Dame
    Texas (one of worst losses in Texas history)
    UCLA (59-0)
    Washington
    Oregon
    Pitt
    Michigan

....... and the list could go on. Getting the picture??

Why do you think anything will change in the future??

• Thlete Draper, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:20 p.m.

@Dutchman, my exact thoughts while reading the article. Texas can't put it's basketball, baseball, etc teams in the Sun Belt or similar. They very likely won't be able to keep them in the Big XII while indy in football. Notre Dame works so well because all non-football sports are in the Big East. BYU didn't care about their non-football sports and were okay throwing them in the WCC. I really don't think anyone in Texas will be watching BYUtv (as Vai suggests) unless they are LDS.

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Chris B must be talking about Utah. I seriously was laughing my head off re-watching the highlights of the biggest game in Utah sports history (TCU vs. Utah) Talk about being out coached, out classed, and thoroughly pummeled. The best part is the next week they got smoked by a mediocre Notre Dame team ha ha:) Truly the best part though is that a freshman qb'd worst BYU football team in 5 years nearly beat them on there home field. The Utes have been enjoying exactly what Chris B is talking about for way to long. Luckily for them there going into the Pac so they can continue to beat patsies. If I remember correctly Utah doesn't play even 1 team ranked in the top 25 preseason coaches poll. Keep building you guys into something your not:)

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:30 p.m.

crisb;
    Your crystal ball of BYU predictions hasn't treated you too well in the past. Why do you think it is working now?

College Football + TV = big money. I am predicting that there will much more leeway given to big name teams to make their own deals if they will stay in the their conferences. A small share of a lot of $ is better than an equal share of a little $. I would not be surprised to see USC, Florida, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan and several other schools follow BYU and Texas in creating their own TV networks. You may even see the "independent" teams join together to create an affiliation or conference for their other sports to play in and to have a base of teams for their football schedules.
    This is just the beginning. Good or bad, college football will look a lot different in 5 years. Hopefully the BCS will collapse while this is going on.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:41 p.m.

I wouldn't mind seeing the top level LDS high school athletes shown on BYUtv once in a while. Would be fun to see what people are up to around the country. Not sure if the resources are there for BYU to truck around on Friday nights to show high school games outside of the intermountain west, but I'd tune in.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Is Chris B the same guy that said he would NEVER again post on an article about BYU if the Cougars beat SDSU in basketball?

Just got my season tickets in the mail. Can't wait for the season to start. Having almost EVERY game on espn is going to make it even better. Then after going to the game I can catch it again on BYUtv.

Luckily for Utah they scheduled BYU this year. Otherwise they might not have any games on national tv this year.

Great time to be a Cougar!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Thanks Chris B..

Jusdging from your track record of predictions, the future looks bright for BYU football. Have fun watching them on ESPN.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:48 p.m.

And the Score is:

Chris B: 0 Jimmer: Sweet 16

Yes, I remember you saying that BYU would be "Once and Done" at the big dance.

Please keep posting comments I really enjoy the entertainment.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Re: Thlete

If you honestly believe that Vai meant Texas would be literally watching BYUtv, as in sitting on their living room couch, then you need to reread the article. It seems you didn't quite get it.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:12 p.m.

I have to admit I was a little nervous about BYU's future, but after Chris B's prediction, I feel much better.

• NW Coug Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:14 p.m.

@the rock

FW huh? Me too. Decatur class of 03'.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Great article Vai, but lets not draw too many comparisons between BYUtv and Longhorn Network. Both are cable networks devoted to a particular university but one is on ESPN and will likely be devoted entirely to sports, while the other devotes as much or more time to devotionals and other religious programming as it does sporting events. I am not knocking that. I think its fantastic but it highlights how very different these two institutions are.

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Chris B is the man. He is always right. He told me a couple of days ago to go long on the DOW. "Go long baby" he said. I haven't checked the market the last couple of days, but I am sure I am fine.

• sports fan Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:18 p.m.

I have always though that BYU and Texas should get together. they are both great sports programs and they share a lot of similarities. In fact i bet that if by some miracle BYU and Texas got together they could form a conference that would rival any conference in the nation. I know its not gonna happen but i would love to see a conference with Texas, TCU, SMU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. along with Utah, BYU, Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado and Air Froce. that would be my dream conference two clearly defined divisions, east and west with natural rivalries and extremely competitive play. what is more with two network operating schools in BYU and Texas exposure would be premium.
    but as for right now i could not be happier about My Utes and their inclusion in the PAC!
    Go Utes!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Jealousy = Lots of new fans! Just look at all the people suddenly commenting on BYU blogs alone on this site!! As I've gone to other sites, lots of people are talking about BYU. People can't help but want to follow BYU now. The team is very deep and totally ready for the season, so that will help. I've seen MANY Texas fans talk about BYU and what we are doing. What BYU is doing might be contagious to college football, much like Edwards passing the football philosophy that caught on to college football and is now everywhere.

BYU continues to lead and create new traditions in the sport.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:29 p.m.

I was going to rattle chirs b's cage, but everyone else already did.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:53 p.m.

A major difference between BTUtv and the Longhorn Network is that BYUtv doesn't need to turn a profit. BYUtv is backed by the church. The network is there even if they never show a single football game on it. BYUtv running short of cash? Beat the bushes and make sure members are up to date on tithing.

The Longhorns (and anyone else) don't have that luxury. A Longhorn will tune in to watch the game live, then maybe once again to see the replay, but after that? It may as well be dead air, nobody is tuning in.

The problem with high school football is programming isn't free. If BYU airs a Bingham High School game, BYU has to pay Bingham cash money. If Texas airs a Plano West High School game, Texas has to pay Plano cash money. Those are the kind of transactions that should have the NCAA's attention.

Texas isn't going independent. They only have to look at BYU to realize that's not a good choice. OU-Texas, TAMU-Texas rivalries? Those will have to be played in Sept. Even Texas would have a tough time lining up late October & November games.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 2:00 p.m.

"Missouri, of the Big 12, owns and operates the only on-campus commercial-run television station in the U.S. KOMO-TV, the NBC affiliate in Columbia, Mo. It has the infrastructure to pull it off."

I had to chuckle a bit at this one. The key words here are "It has the infrastructure to pull it off." So, Utah owns and operates KUED an on-campus TV station. While not a commercial TV station it certainly has the studios and equipment to operate like one. So, based on Vai's analysis I suppose Utah could be one of those programs that goes indy in football, put all the other sports in a league with other independents and convert KUED into a station that covers sports and hook it into a national feed along with all the other independents.

Get real people. USC, Standford, Cal, Michigan, Ohio St, and even Utah are not going indy because there faculties would revolt because they want the tight academic associations that come with a conference like the Big 10 and PAC 12. Texas may not care much because they are the academic heavy weight in the Big 12 anyway.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 2:01 p.m.

ChrisB you are hilarious being the first one to post on a BYU article. Methinks you have nothing to do all day long.

BYU going independent with their own TV station may very well be the source of the BCS dieing. Wouldn't that be funny. The BCS was designed to ensure that a school such as BYU could never ever win a NC and this same school finally bringing about the death of the BCS. LOL.

• coach hines Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 2:09 p.m.

div 1: so cal, ucla, cal, stanford, oregon, oregon st, wash, wazoo
    div 2: texas, texas a&m, tex tech, missouri, utah, colo, ariz, ariz st.

oklahoma oklahoma st. absorbed into the big 10 with kans and k-state and someone else to make the big 10 into the big 16 as well

super conferences are coming!!!!

• Dee J Portland, OR
    Aug. 5, 2011 2:12 p.m.

To TJ | 12:30 p.m. -

I agree with your assessment. It's probably more likely that conferences will figure out how to accomodate a school's TV network and separate broadcast deals to keep schools from going indy in FB. One big difference between Texas and BYU is that even without considering the lousy TV deal with The mtn., BYU was in a mediocre conference, while I'm sure Texas and its fans would love to continue playing most of their Big 12 rivals.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 2:25 p.m.

@ Chris B

You got the action right, but te wrong team. It's those mighty USU Aggies than regularly schedule Nebraska and others that blow them away on the Cornhuskers home field, in exchange for gate receipts.

Who defeated Oklahoma last year in the opener? (Now Isuppose you'll claim Utah's victory over Michigan was a "quality win" won't you?)

You were the first to post poison on a BYU artiocle again....very predictable. By-the-way, how's the Ute program gong? Swallow any insects lately?

• Duckhunter Hunter Alpine, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 2:38 p.m.

BYU fans -

I am surprised that you haven't figured out, by now, that Chris B. is one of your own, trying to stir it up.

You continue to bite time after time and after time. May I suggest that you ignore his/her comments. Actually, keep addressing them. It's getting funny that you continue to argue against the same tired comments with the same tired responses over and over again.

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 2:44 p.m.

The BYUtv is very interesting. As a member of the LDS faith, I hope it is use mostly for enhancing the church.

There is a big difference between Utah High School Football and Texas Football. Texas has over 25 million residents compared to 3 million. Most of Texas' recruits come from Texas and high school football has stadiums bigger than USU's stadium. Many of BYU's recruits come from Utah but just as many come from other states. Having lived outside of Houston, I remember watching powerhouse programs playing against each other and having my father talk about it. Having UT show your high school game gives huge advantages over teams like Texas A & M, Oklahoma, etc. Having a Texas microphone in your face all the time with millions of viewers can be very influential to a young, impressionable athlete.

As a Utah fan, I simply hope that my donations are not going towards BYU football broadcasts. Rebroadcasts are ok as long as they show the losses as well.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 2:51 p.m.

While BYUtv will be a huge revenue boost to BYU who has fans from coast to coast, the Utes will be watched by fans from Tooele to Evanston.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Nice smokescreen Duckhunter. It's you that is really the BYU fan trying to stir the pot. You just don't quite have the moxie of Chris B or Hedgie, though. Keep trying.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Re: Duckhunter Hunter,

As much as I'm sure you don't want to claim Chris B as one of your own, there's no doubt that he's Ute through and through. I'd be clamoring to disown him as fast as I could too if I were you!

• Justmythoughts Richfield, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 3:13 p.m.

I think BYUtv SHOULD broadcast some high school games....Maybe everyone in the Big12 is right. It might help recruiting. Some Utah and California high school games might just be the ticket.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 3:26 p.m.

@Whoa Nellie | 11:41 a.m. Aug. 5, 2011

Who would bark if BYUTV broadcast high school games?

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 3:31 p.m.

I am wondering how BYUtv will be a profit generator for BYU? Is there that much demand from advertisers? It is a tough audience -- us LDS folks aren't exactly known for being big spenders. I guess every Utah valley based MLM could grab a few 30 second slots, food storage providers may go nuts, Jell-O, modest clothing manufacturers, Deseret Book, and a few messages brought to by the Church. But otherwise it seems like a tough demographic to generate revenue from. The cost to operate an HD broadcast will be significant. I'd love to see the business case -- but then again, it is more about exposure than it is money. ESPN will be the cash cow and BYUtv will be an added bonus.

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Aug. 5, 2011 3:32 p.m.

giantfan,
    To the extent Chris B is a Ute fan we do reject his obnoxiousnous but I'm with Duckhunter Hunter... pretty sure he's a clever cougar pot-stirrer. (He makes Hedgie look downright reasonable!) Too bad that for every one Hedge there are about ten BYU equivalents... (ratio drops to 1 to 5 if Chris B is somehow really a Ute).

• Sandpiper Air Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 3:33 p.m.

@GoUTES - Great post. That was funny.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 4:21 p.m.

It's so awesome because I here that they will show Bronco's friday night fireside at halftime on ESPN.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 4:25 p.m.

I here the guy commenting about "NEVER HAVING TO WATCH BYU ON THE MOUNTAIN EVER AGAIN!" It was like they had a bunch of 1st graders operating the camera, and that "James" guy was like a fifth grade play by play caller, I couldn't stand any of them! Fowler and Todd Christianson were OK, but the rest were pretty much MAJOR NETWORK & HOME TOWN TV STATION REJECTS! I'll have to deal with that to watch Boise State, but that's life!

• ImaCaMan Redlands, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Yeh Vai, I care to wager. No one other than members of the church know that the BYU network exists. I have lived all over the country and most people outside of the Wards have heard of BYU but don't know anything about it and many times get it confused with the U (only knowing it comes from Utah). You all amaze me with your inflated self-importance. The world could care less about watching BYU play USD in the slim gym or a home FB game against NM State.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 4:59 p.m.

Texas is not going to watch what the Y does cloesly. They do not care if the Y succeeds or fails in this independent world. Texas is Texas, & they have the power & the prestige to do whatever they want, & what the Y does makes no difference to them. The only problem is where do they put their other sports. Will the Big 12 let them stay there, or will they have to go to Conf USA, or some other mid major conference that they would beat up on in every sport year in & out. I hope that they stay in the Big 12, & that here in a few years there are 4 Super Conferences with the Y still as an idependent, with Army & Navy. Notre Dame may stay independent as well, but who knows. The college football landscape as we know it will be completely different a decade from now. Maybe even within 5 years or so. I hope the Y succeeds in their new adventure, I just hope they dont win many games. They will always have 5-6 cupcakes, 3 toss ups, & 3 FOR SURE losses. Heres to the new world of college football, & the Y losing.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Clear, clean-cut and easy to understand. The BYU move to independence may very well be the goose that lays golden egg's. Perhaps we are seeing the dawn of a new day and a new paradigm of dollars and division I football.

I like that BYU has taken control of its own media destiny driving the bus so to speak and not along merely for the ride.

Good business is the axiom of BYU.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 5, 2011 5:20 p.m.

UU32

"I am wondering how BYUtv will be a profit generator for BYU?"

You don't understand. BYU doesn't need BYUtv to be a profit generator.

As Holmoe stated from day one of BYU Independence, increased exposure and making BYU sports more available to a nationwide fan base is the most important reason for going independent.

The 10-fold+ increase in ESPN over the MTN is just an added bonus.

-----------

ImaCaMan

"I care to wager. No one other than members of the church know that the BYU network exists."

Better not bet the ranch, because, guaranteed, you'd lose that bet.

Since BYUtv broadcast the WCC basketball tournament this year, guaranteed, every basketball fan in the WCC already knows that BYUtv exists. Going forward, fans of every opponent that BYU plays on BYUtv will know about BYUtv.

btw, New Mexico State will be on ESPN, and there will be thousands of fans watching.

NOBODY confuses Utah with BYU. You're making that up and you know it.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 5:31 p.m.

"Jealousy abounds over BYU, Texas network deals"

Texas TV is a knee-jerk reaction to Utah being picked up by the PAC.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 5:56 p.m.

"Ldsfan | 2:44 p.m.
    South Jordan, UT

If BYUtv showed local high school games, I don't know that it would have the same effect as UT Television. The kids that want BYU will go to BYU."
    ===
    "flynn is the coolest | 3:26 p.m.
    Salt Lake City, UT

"Exactly. Here's an interesting possibility- Take that sweet HD truck, and start broadcasting HS games of BYU prospects, and share the highlights with ESPN. I imagine raising the stock of future prospects would only help BYU's recruiting efforts."
    ===

I question who would watch UT Highschool football also.

However, when the truck is on the road, I wonder how difficult it would be to slip in a prominant local HS game where BYU is playing (both football and basketball) like flynn suggests.

HS kids all over the country could tell their extended friends and family that they will be playing on TV. I would love to watch some of the games in areas BYU is recruiting, and I'm sure Coach DuPaix would enjoy the exposure.

Then ImaCaMan would never be confusing BYU with Utah again. How fun would it be to watch (and recruit) HS football from Ted Runner Stadium?

• chicagoborn WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 5:59 p.m.

@Tom in CA
    That was a nice list you made about the teams that BYU has beaten but you can make that same list for most of the D1 college football teams in the country. Utah has beaten their fair share of powerhouse teams. And I do agree with you that BYU will continue beating good teams as will Utah.

• bbzebra Sandy, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:26 p.m.

Just a fact check....

KOMO TV is an ABC affiliate in Seattle, not an NBC affiliate in St. Louis.

• 93 COUGAR Orem, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:47 p.m.

I was really hoping to see Utah vs. Stanford and also Cal. The Utah fans are going to get their eyes opened when they go into those stadiums. Utah will now be the target of every religious/polygamist chant and taunt. Everything that was directed at BYU will now be thrown at Utah.

Get ready. It is going to be an interesting ride.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:05 p.m.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:20 p.m.

re: Tom in CA | 12:18 p.m. Aug. 5, 2011

"BYU has beaten:

UCLA
    Washington
    Oregon
    Michigan"

So has Utah. But they have also beaten USC.

Not to mention, Pitt twice... in the BCS era

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:23 p.m.

@ Alterego | 11:43 a.m. Aug. 5, 2011

Actually, its Miami Dolphins > SEC > Utes > CFL > Arena > USFL > BYU.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:33 p.m.

re: CougFaninTX | 8:05 p.m. Aug. 5, 2011

Really. Thlete (12:20 p.m. Aug. 5, 20110) correctly inferred called that Notre Dame is the trailblazer.

Originality originating in Provo? Thats comedy!

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:35 p.m.

Veritas

Your rant mad no sense.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Sounds to me that Texas has the best of both worlds. Why give one of them up?

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Aug. 5, 2011 9:23 p.m.

Wally West

But Utah has never beaten a team as highly ranked as #1-ranked, defending national champion, Miami.

BYU is undefeated against two of the most storied programs in college football, 2-0 against both Texas and Oklahoma

BYU destroyed Oregon and Oregon State in the BCS era

Utah barely escaped Oregon State at home, and lost to both of them on the road, in just the last five years

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Aug. 5, 2011 9:54 p.m.

TheSportsAuthority,

That's inside-the-beltway thinking if I've ever seen it!

Pre-season or even mid-season rankings mean nothing. Where did Miami end up in the rankings oh those many decades ago? In this century, compare BYU's wins against season-ending ranked teams and the record pales in comparison to Utah's. Admittedly, one of BYU's only two wins over a season-ending ranked team during the Mendenhall era was the over-time squeaker against the Utes in 2009. (The other was against TCU, so no wins at all over ranked BCS teams.)

The rest of your "arguments" are about as legit as the talking point spin that is so frequent in your neck of the woods!

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Aug. 5, 2011 10:10 p.m.

morganh said:

"Great Article Bro. Sikahema. B.Y.U. going independent could really shake up college football and cause the Texas, Oklahoma,and other big name schools to go that route. Utah is not included as the "other schools" because you need a conference and you have the PAC 12 to get your exposure and you don't have the marketability that B.Y.U. has which enabled them to sign their deal with ESPN. Can't wait for Cougar football!"

Texas and Oklahoma fans will laugh at your post. The marketability of BYU?

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Aug. 5, 2011 10:17 p.m.

coach hines said:

"after only one year texas will lobby commish scott for the following super pac-16 conference:
    div 1: so cal, ucla, cal, stanford, oregon, oregon st, wash, wazoo
    div 2: texas, texas a&m, tex tech, missouri, utah, colo, ariz, ariz st.

super conferences are coming!!!!"

Texas A&M will join the SEC.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Aug. 5, 2011 10:24 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas said:

"Texas TV is a knee-jerk reaction to Utah being picked up by the PAC."

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Aug. 5, 2011 10:31 p.m.

CougFaninTX said:

"BYU blazes the trail. Texas follows. If the Longhorn network is successful, the floodgates will open. USC will jump on the bandwagon. When USC leaves the PAC12, 1/3 of the value of the recent PAC12 TV deal is gone. This could revolutionize college football."

Keep dreaming. USC is going nowhere.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 10:57 p.m.

Ldsfan | 8:35 p.m. Aug. 5, 2011
    South Jordan, UT
    Veritas

"Your rant mad no sense."
    ===

What was "mad" about my rant?

(Serious, you had five words to type...)

Let me know what you did not understand, and I will put it into small words.

I'll help you through it bro.

.................

NightOwlAmerica | 10:24 p.m. Aug. 5, 2011
    SALEM, OR
    "Veritas Aequitas said:

"Texas TV is a knee-jerk reaction to Utah being picked up by the PAC."

Wrong. Texas was already talking about its own network before Utah joined the PAC."

===

Soooooo...

It takes a while to making a move like this?

Is it possible that BYU, then, also had this in the works before Utah went to the PAC?

BYU going indy was not a reaction to Utah bolting the MWC?

That is an interesting observation that most of my Utah buddies have failed to see.

===

The funniest thing is Brother Vai is comparing BYU to Texas and Notre Dame.

It's gotta be killing the Ute fans who remind us all the time that BYU and Notre Dame should never be used in the same sentence.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:00 p.m.

Can't argue with the headline. Any team that can will try to do what BYU did. It was evident at their media day that broadcasting your own school, sharing the spotlight with no other team is extremely enviable. Instead of having a fifteen minute highlight of your team, you can have the entire day.

It just makes sense. Can't blame Texas.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:55 p.m.

"byu's problem is they will continually schedule big teams, get blown away by those big teams, and then "salvage" their season by beating up on nobodies."

Atleast one team from the state of utah is willing to schedule the big teams.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 12:04 a.m.

@ Wiley Old School

Regardless, Miami was still ranked #1 and it is in the record books.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Aug. 6, 2011 1:02 a.m.

Wiley Old School

"Pre-season or even mid-season rankings mean nothing. Where did Miami end up in the rankings...?"

The fact that you have to ask shows just how little you know about college football.

Miami was the baddest of the bad boys in the 80's and early 90's, and ended up ranked #3 in both polls.

That game launched Ty Detmer's Heisman Trophy winning season.

Utah has never beaten a team that finished #3 or higher in the final polls. Alabama, Utah's biggest win ever, only finished #6.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Aug. 6, 2011 1:10 a.m.

"BYU's problem is they will continually schedule big teams, get blown away by those big teams, and then "salvage" their season by beating up on nobodies."

Sounds like you're projecting your own inner Utah.

TCU 7-47
    Notre Dame 3-28
    Boise State 3-26

From 5th to unranked -- three humiliating losses, the final one to "girlsie state".

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 6, 2011 6:57 a.m.

@Dutchman

Football reigns as king in Texas...and knowing this the University of Texas has so much control over thier own destiny and are such a key component of the Big 12's overall sports package that they wouldn't have to leave the Big 12 in all other sports to go independant in Football. Niether would Oklahoma who is right now also planning to launch thier own TV Network. The conferences are the ones who are running scared right now. The PAC 12 is a perfect example in that Scott didn't even come close to getting any of the top names that he wanted for his mega 16 dream conference and settled for two B listers in Utah and Colorado. The Texas legislature may or may not have made a big mistake by interceding and not allowing the State ran University of Texas to join the PAC. Though it might in the long run have been the wrong decision...it certainly saved the Big 12's bacon for now at least. Had they let Texas leave the Big 12 then Oklahoma another one of Scott's principle targets more than likely would have jumped too. Independence is a viable option for both Universities

• Hugus IDAHO FALLS, ID
    Aug. 6, 2011 7:07 a.m.

The more I read Vai's reporting the more convinced I am that he has no ability to present an objective article. He is always so predictable and robotic - just a mouthpiece for the church. There is no comparsion between BYU and Texas. Are you kidding me? It is apples and nuts. Nice guy but generally a waste of time and too much party line. Vai...you'd have done well as a reporter in the Soviet bloc in the 60's!

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 7:27 a.m.

If enough teams go independent and band together in a conference...how could they be independent?

Ton in CA...to answer your question...the past is not a predictor of the future, only in Provo.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Yes, the one thing Vai left out of his analysis is what does Texas do with all of the other teams they support at UT? While the coogs claim they are happy throwing all of their other teams to the Western Church Conference, in acutality the only person made happy by this move is Tom Holmoe.

Dave Rose puts on his game face and says what he's supposed to say when asked about this move, but why would he "enjoy the challenge of a new league" such as the WCC?

What I'm wondering is Vai urging Texas to go independent, thereby creating a vacancy in the Big 12 he thinks the coogs may be asked to fill? Not likely.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:16 a.m.

@chris b

I just love watching te Las Vegas Bowl every year. Utah's performance last year was great!!! Explosive ute offense put up 3 points on a little non-AQ school in route to a 26-3 whooping of the
    Littliest brother way up north.

Remember ute fans: #5 seed from pac12 still goes to the Vegas Bowl!

I'll be looking for Utah in Vegas in December!

As for BYUTV, in more homes nationwide than KJZZ or Pac12 network.

ESPN + BYUTV> any ute tv deal

Go Cougs!

• Rando305 Miami, FL
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:01 a.m.

I like the idea of broadcasting local high school talent. Imagine increasing our ties with Lone Peak High School! I love the idea of using it as a recruitment perk. As an independent - who can complain? (Other than the U! But 'they don't compete in the same sphere anymore...')
    People talk about BYU's need to jump to a conference when invited. This TV thing changes everything. It is going to be very difficult for BYU to enter a conference in the future not because of Sunday play - but because our network will incite jealousy. Not only does BYUtv compete nationally. It is expanding significantly internationally. Imagine what that will do for other sports! (Which isn't even the motive of the network.)

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:04 a.m.

TheNun

What I'm wondering is why are U and other jealous Utah fans still trolling BYU articles?

Could it have something to do with the fact that EVERY BYU game for 2011, except, ironically, BYU's game at PAC 12 Oregon State, is already scheduled for national television (10 on ESPN, 1 on BYUtv)?

While, the only Utah games scheduled for television are Montana State (KJZZ, enought said), USC (on, gulp, Versus), at BYU (on ESPN), and Colorado (on Fox Regional).

As the title of the article states,

"Jealousy abounds [on the hill] over BYU... television deal".

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Where are you guys getting the idea that in order to have a school TV station, you have to be independent? Texas isn't going to go independent, and they are going forward with the Longhorn Network. The question is what content to show (i.e. high school games). Its a new area, and ultimately the NCAA will have to make a ruling on it.

It's understandable that Texas is looking at airing high school games. Texans love high school football. It would draw in viewers. The Longhorn Network doesn't want to be like BYUtv. Look at their schedule today:
    BYU Weekly, Around The House with Matt and Shari, Paint This with Jerry Yarnell, Chef Brad Fusion Grain Cooking... blech! What sports fan is gonna add THAT to their sports channel favorites?

• Rando305 Miami, FL
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:19 a.m.

The Nun -
    Why would Dave Rose really be stressed out by the WCC? It's got great teams. As a whole it's not as strong as the MWC was, but it isn't disrespected. Basketball has significantly greater opportunity to demonstrate your teams potential in the NCAA tournament. It's not like Dave will ever be restricted at running for a national championship ever?

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Oh... that's right, TheSportsAuthority. When you dust off the papyrus showing the stats from a season over two decades ago, Miami did finish strong... unlike the Cougars who after their strong start closed the season with 31 and 51 point blow-out losses! Thanks for reminding me... it makes me feel a lot better about Utah's late-season struggles last year.

• Heater BALA CYNWYD, PA
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Yo Hugus - get clue. Vai is a COLUMNIST, not a reporter. He's not supposed to write "objective" articles. He takes POSITIONS. And yes, his positions are always aligned with the CHURCH to which he belongs, serves and hence will be loyal to. The majority of us who read him expect that. Disagree with him if you wish, but clearly, he has a HUGE following because we appreciate he takes a position.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 6, 2011 12:21 p.m.

Comparing the football program in Provo to the Texas Longhorns is a huge stretch. Provo better play clean football when they face Texas this year, any cheap shots will add to the diminishing chances of Provo ever getting into the Big 12/10. Oklahoma will never vote for your admittance into such a league. The Sam Bradford disabling has long lasting effects. You'll need Texas' vote.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 6, 2011 12:34 p.m.

Moderate

"What sports fan is gonna add THAT to their sports channel favorites?"

This may be a difficult concept to understand, but the collegiate sports season hasn't started yet.

BYUtv has never been billed as a 24-hour/day sports station, like ESPN, but it will have signficant coverage of BYU sports as soon as the season begins.

In the mean time, BYUtv already has 63 previous BYU games loaded and available for on-demand replay anytime, including Utah at BYU 2009, Utah at BYU 2007, and BYU at Utah 2006.

A dream come true for BYU fans. A nightmare for jealous Utah fans.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 6, 2011 12:39 p.m.

First it was the "Notre Dame of the West" now "Texas of the Mountain West"?

Trying to compare themselfs with ND and Texas it seems BYU is the one that's jealous. After all if BYU was such a valued brand then they would already be playing in the SEC or Big 12.

"In the early years, I think BYU felt that they had outgrown the conference and their people were talking about how BYU would go to the Big 12 or the Pac-10. They used to come into the Utah game always talking about who they would be playing in their bowl game.... When we started beating them, they stopped talking about their bowl game." -- Ron McBride

Now we beat them to the BCS status they're talking about TV networks.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Aug. 6, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Uteology

You beat BYU to a BCS conference, but you're still on Versus and KJZZ. Your only game on ESPN is courtesy of BYU. How pathetic is that?

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 4:30 p.m.

re: TheSportsAuthority | 9:23 p.m. Aug. 5, 2011

Oh, look. I touched a nerve & all by bringing up facts about games that didn't happen in the Lavell era.

"In fact, Utah hasn't had a road win over a PAC 10 team with a winning record since last century"

Really? So, you would not count the Utes beating Cal in the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl?

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 6, 2011 4:45 p.m.

Wally West

"So, you would not count the Utes beating Cal in the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl?"

Maybe you need a refreshed on what constitutes a ROAD game.

Clue: California is officially the University of California, Berkeley; the Poinsettia Bowl is played in San Diego, 494 miles from the California campus.

So, no I wouldn't count the Poinsettia Bowl as even remotely close to being a home game for California, which is what it would have to be for Utah to count the bowl as a road win for the Utes.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 6, 2011 4:54 p.m.

Wiley Old School

Programming note: The 1990 BYU-Miami game is available on-demand, for free, on BYUtv, as well as the Miracle Bowl, BYU's National Championship-clinching win over Michigan, Steve Young's game-winning catch against Missouri, and BYU's Cotton Bowl win over Kansas State.

Don't you wish the Utes had their own network with ready access to replays of Utah's greatest victories?

What BYU fans already have available, Utah fans can only dream of.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 4:57 p.m.

re: anti BCS | 4:45 p.m. Aug. 6, 2011

Wow! You are one unhappy individual for someone who lives so close to Disneyland.

It was not at RES. So, technically, it was road game.

Why so serious?

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:29 p.m.

Cougars - Wise Older Brothers
    What BYU fans already have available, Utah fans can only dream of.

--------

What Utah has done twice BYU can only print t-shirts for, see 2008 season.

@TheSportsAuthority

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:10 p.m.

BYU football: Always winning off the field and losing on it.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Judging from the number of jealous Utah fans commenting on the article, Vai makes his point.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:14 p.m.

THis will be interesting in watching how we watch television in the future. TiVo is changing how we watch because we hate commercials. I recently purchased HULU and Netflix. We now spend more time watching those sites more than the DISH.
    The sports networks on the other hand have a whole different card; TiVo. Who wants to watch a game on TiVo??? Gotta watch it live!!!! Therefore for sports Networks, this may one of the few options for TV sponsorships. Imagine most of that revenue going to sports teams rather than plane TV- not unrealistic.
    BYU has a huge following. The big stone in Nebekenezzar's dream is rolling forward and gaining steam. BYU football and basketball are part of that vehicle with a high quality BYUtv Network.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Aug. 6, 2011 11:11 p.m.

Aloha St. George: So the stone cut out of the mountain without hands isn't the restored gospel, but BYU sports? Thanks for clarifying that doctrinal point for me.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 12:54 a.m.

Everytime a BYU fan brings up Miami, a ute posts that the #1 was preseason and Miami was weak that year. Hmm 10-2, losing @BYU and @ND. The BYU loss kept them from winning the NC. Many felt they were the best at the END of the year as well. Colorado had a loss and a tie and should have had another loss when they scored on Missouri on 5th down. Had Miami beat BYU, they would have ended up 11-1 with the only loss @ ND (who finished the year #6).
    Preseason #1, and ranked #3 at the end of the season. I guess that 46-3 win over #4Texas in the Cotton Bowl was the icing on the cake for that weak Miami team that was loaded with NFL players. Over 20 went on to play in the NFL. There were 9 players drafted that year alone. With 2 first round picks, including Russell Maryland the #1 pick overall. 2 second round picks, a 4th, 5th and 6th round picks. They won the National Championship in 91 and had several players that were drafted the year after, including 2 more first round picks.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Aug. 7, 2011 12:55 a.m.

Uteology

Most of Utah's games will be on the PAC-MTN regional network, basically, Utah and Colorado. In other words, U will have less coverage than the MTN. And, of course, no on-demand replay of past Utah games.

Enjoy.

---------------

Wally West

The Poinsettia Bowl is the very definition of a neutral site game for Utah and California. Unless U played California in Berkeley, it wasn't a road game no matter how you try to spin it.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:05 a.m.

Uteology | 8:29 p.m. Aug. 6, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

What Utah has done twice BYU can only print t-shirts for, see 2008 season.
    ===

Dude, who places banners on the outside of the stadium for bowl games?

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 7, 2011 4:37 a.m.

@mussingaround

Did you just compare the PAC-12 Network to the Mountain? Try doing some research then try posting again.

Oh no... no "on demand replay of past games" on the PAC-12 network. Truly the PAC-12 network is failure. I guess the $30 million that Utah will be get annually will have to make up for the on demand replay.

• Max Syracuse, NY
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:18 a.m.

@ Randy 01

THANK YOU!!! Frankly, I am so embarrassed by those who insist that the gospel is being preached by BYU sports teams. Can anybody come up with any church president or apostle who has made a statement that can even remotely be interpreted as such? I would sincerely appreciate it because I have never heard this in general conference or in the Ensign yet so many people seem to be making this claim. Are LDS athletes rejecting mission calls when they decide to go elsewhere? I do know that Kyle Whittingham specifically asked a high ranking church leader if BYU's offer was considered a church calling and he said it wasn't. I know that sports teams help BYU get exposure but is this really the same as the stone cut without hands? Just trying to understand.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:45 a.m.

@Uteology "News flash Utah athletics can be found on the new PAC-12 network next year. So don't worry about us, lack of exposure hasn't stopped us from competing on the national stage."

Congratulations on the "national" exposure next year...the national PAC 12 channel reaches 40 million homes, 15 million less than BYUtv. If you live outside the PAC-12 region, getting that channel requires the purchase of a separate sports channel that carries it.

But that's IF you even get on to the national channel. U will most likely be playing on your regional channel, which covers Utah and Colorado. But hey, that is a step up from KJZZ, right?

All U fans need to know right now is that their two BCS wins since 2004 have gotten them a game on Versus with USC and a game on ESPN2 (courtesy of BYU) while Colorado gets its game with USC on ESPN2, as well as Hawaii on ESPN2, CSU on FSN, and Utah on FSN.

Even your new "rival" gets more exposure than U.

U finally get a seat at the "big boy" table and find yourself stuck in the high chair.

Go Cougars!

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:12 a.m.

@ Veritas Aequitas "Dude, who places banners on the outside of the stadium for bowl games?" Answer: Dude, when your team has actually been to a top tier bowl game and won (twice). Something the Y knows nothing about. Glad to answer that for you Veritas.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Uteology

Call us when Utah gets that first $30m check from the PAC12. Here's a clue, it'll be years to never before it arrives. The fine print on the PAC12 deal is that it's backend loaded and performance-based.

BYUtv (free - already in 60 million homes) > PAC 12 network (subscription only - "projected" to be in 45 million homes).

Utah will only have occassional appearances on the PAC 12 "mothership" channel - most Utah games will be shuffled off to the regional PAC-MTN regional network (Colorado and Utah).

Besides, BYUtv is only BYU's backup broadcaster, when a game like Idaho State isn't picked up by ESPN, where most of BYU's games will be played.

BYU fans will have virtually unlimited access to BYU sports nationwide.

When you're sitting home wishing you could relive some of the great moments in Utah football and paying increased ticket prices, you can console yourself with the knowledge that Utah is getting megabucks for being a middle of the PAC team.

Enjoy!

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:16 a.m.

You might be in 60 million homes but you will only have 12 people watching when you play Idaho and Idaho State and the big one New Mexico State. Hey boys we have reached the big time. Big time is an interesting perspective. You can be involved with a very tall mountain (Pac 12) or you can be a beetle on top of a very tall cow pie (BYU). What's interesting is the beetle thinks everything is rosy and life is great. ( BYU fans)

• Max Syracuse, NY
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:22 a.m.

deductive,

Are you saying that Utah should not have joined the PAC 12? Are you saying that BYU would not also be a mid-level PAC 12 team had they joined? Are you saying that BYU would have turned down a PAC 12 invitation to be independent?

I know it REALLY hurts, but it is long past time for BYU fans to get over Utah being invited to the PAC 12.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:50 a.m.

re: mussingaround | 12:55 a.m. Aug. 7, 2011

I recall that the Utes have gone into Berkley beat the bears. This was after the Urban led Utes beat Cal here in 2004.

Not only that, the U has gone into the most legendary stadium in college football (The Big house in Ann Arbor) & come away with a win.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Got to love BYU spin. Hate to break it to you guys but PAC 12 is a major brand and BYU is a Mormon brand.

Just because BYU reaches 60 million homes doesn't make BYU the "Notre Dame of the West" or "Texas of the Mountain West".

Again lack of exposure didn't hurt Utah and TCU from competing on the national stage, only BYU.

@deductive

I'll have Dr. Hill call you in a few years when we become a full member, what's your cell number.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:36 p.m.

@wally west

"Not only that, the U has gone into the most legendary stadium in college football (The Big house in Ann Arbor) & come away with a win"

LOL! Hardly. Not to mention that Michigan sucked. Try rolling out of South Bend with a win. I've been there and experienced that. utah on the otherhand. Well....let's just say it wasn't a win there for them.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:54 p.m.

@Rock of the Marne "Answer: Dude, when your team has actually been to a top tier bowl game and won (twice). Something the Y knows nothing about."

Funniest post ever! It shows the classic Ute mentality that second best is their goal. Congratulations your top tier bowl games...in all seriousness, those were great seasons. But can U tell me without looking it up who won the 2005 Sugar Bowl? The 2008 Fiesta Bowl? Or how even the 2011 Sugar Bowl?

Nobody cares about the runner up. If BYU made it to a BCS bowl this year, it'd be a good accomplishment...but we're not looking for good accomplishments, we're looking to win a national championship, something that we've done before.

And something U know nothing about.

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:04 p.m.

@Uteology "How funny the only one complaining of Utah's exposure on PAC-12 network is BYU fans."

And the only ones complaining about BYU's exposure through BYUtv are Utah fans.

@Uteology "Hate to break it to you guys but PAC 12 is a major brand and BYU is a Mormon brand. "

Hate to break it to you, but the folks at ESPN disagree. Two quotes from Dave Brown, ESPN VP of Programming:

"I think that for me, when everything came together last summer, I just said games like (BYU vs Oklahoma, '09) are what really separates BYU from everybody else. Our schedule was lacking because we didnt have BYU on, and now moving forward theyll just be a big, big part of our lineup and thats going to be great for us.

"BYU is a great brand and we know theyre always going to be successful and we certainly look forward to a long way past 2020."

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 4:11 p.m.

re: Duckhunter | 1:36 p.m. Aug. 7, 2011

So, beating an average/substandard Michigan doesn't count? Is there a reverse statute of limitations on that theory?

I can hardly wait for you to cry fowl.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Aug. 7, 2011 4:18 p.m.

@ Max

I don't know about LDS athletes at other schools, but BYU's record isn't perfect either. Neither Heaps or Fredette served and Max Hall received a very early release. Obedience is more likely to bring the blessings of heaven than spectacular sports stats, at least in my scriptures.

BYU sports is not the stone, it is not the gospel. Those of us that are faithful latter day saints need to remember that. As much as I love sports, I wouldn't trade one stone of one Temple for the entire 'storied' history of BYU football (or Utah football for that matter).

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:06 p.m.

@Max, Randy01

Here's a copy of the mission statement of the BYU athletics program:

"Our mission is to conduct the Athletics program in a manner that will develop student-athletes of excellence in academics, athletics, faith, and character, and to contribute to the mission of the LDS Church through the visibility of our positive example and our accomplishments."

BYU sports isn't the stone, nor is it the gospel...but it is a tool to help people of different faiths get exposed to BYU and understand the principles that we live by.

The publicity garnered by the Brandon Davies situation, and by Jimmermania, was really unparalleled. It's exciting to think what the future will bring with the increased exposure of ESPN.

I think those fans who talk about BYU being the 'Lord's university' and make scriptural references to the athletics program are saying these things in jest (at least, I hope so).

However, it IS true that BYU stands for more than just the university. It stands for the Church, and its athletics program can be a force for good in enlightening people on the principles and practices of the LDS faith.

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:31 p.m.

@Randy01 "Neither Heaps or Fredette served and Max Hall received a very early release. Obedience is more likely to bring the blessings of heaven than spectacular sports stats, at least in my scriptures."

You know, President Monson, President Packer, and President Uchtdorf all didn't serve mission, yet they've gone on to be some great examples and leaders in the church.

I think it's sad that a lot of church members judge (unrighteously, I may add, which, in MY scriptures, we're told not to do) people who didn't serve missions. That's a very personal decision and I think it's unfortunate that we tend to ostracize those who didn't serve missions, or who returned early.

Should they serve missions? Absolutely.

Do they all? No.

Should we judge them if they don't? No.

Anyhoo, just my two cents.

Go Cougars!

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Truecoug1:

I hope that BYU represents the Church well, but it is my fear is that as less North American student can attend, it becomes a divisive factor in the Church. Fans that cloak the sports program in quasi-doctrinal terms should think carefully about the impact they have on members of the Church around the country. In short, if you were't able to attend the "Lord's University" is your education equally valid? What about those wards whose leadership is primarily composed of former BYU students even if they are a minority of the ward. What about taunts that non-BYU fans weren't good enough?

Beware unintended consequences. Jimmermania brought exposure to BYU and the Church, but how many young men will elect to not serve missions because of his choice. Ward leaders held BYU sports up as an example of how you could still serve a mission and realize a dream when I was young. Jimmer decided that his dream was more important than a mission.

It is because BYU represents the Church that I express my opinion. Students and fans of the "Lord's University" should be better that represented on this thread.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:06 p.m.

TrueCoug1:

There was a little thing going on called World War II that had just a little impact on Pres. Monson and Packer being able to serve missions. No such events stood in Jimmer or Jake's way. I am not judging Jimmer, I don't even know him. But the question for you is, would you have rather he had gone, or would you rather see the highlights on ESPN? What kind of exposure do you want for BYU? A great sports team with national acclaim, or a true example of holiness?

I think these are fair questions.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Rock Of The Marne | 9:12 a.m. Aug. 7, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ

===

Championships are worthy of banners.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:51 p.m.

@Randy01 "But the question for you is, would you have rather he had gone, or would you rather see the highlights on ESPN? What kind of exposure do you want for BYU? A great sports team with national acclaim, or a true example of holiness?"

Is it too much to ask for both? I'm pretty sure that that's BYU's goal.

Again, every worthy young man should serve a mission. Jimmer decided not to...that's his choice. I'm not going to judge him, or the school's holiness, by how many of the athletes serve missions. The vast majority of the LDS athletes that attend BYU have served missions. Jimmer is the exception, not the rule, and his not going shouldn't reflect on BYU as an institution.

There are still great examples of realizing a dream and serving a mission...Austin Collie, Brett Keisel, and Bryan Kehl come to mind

However, my question to you is, did Jimmermania help a lot of people to become more familiar with BYU? Is that not contributing to the mission of the LDS church?

People can find fault with anything if they want to. Personally, I think BYU is doing just fine.

Go Cougars!

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:45 p.m.

TrueCoug:

Frankly, it may be too much to ask. BYU can't have everything, at least all of the time. No school can. Please consider this:

1. Many would be very uncomfortable with BYU allocating the financial resources to its programs that Texas does. In fact, I sincerely hope that the ESPN funds are being used to ensure that tithing funds don't go to BYU sports.
    2. BYU is not and should not be the only competitive venue for LDS athletes. If they want a nationally prominent career, they can opt for another D1 program. LDS fans have proved that they will support LDS pro athletes, why not other colleges?
    3. The BYU experience is only available for a relatively small percentage of the college age population of the Church. Even very well qualified LDS students are turned away. Some don't want to go. There should not be a class system within the Church based on admittance to a specific college or university.
    4. Success does bring "exposure" both good and bad - it may win friends, but does it win converts?

The subject is a very emotional one for many - isn't an objective conversation in order?

• football43 Morgan, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:55 p.m.

Duckhunter and Wiley Old School

Yes Chris B. unfortunatly is a Cougar fan. When I found out for sure one day I was as dissappointed as when I found out who Santa really was. I was so hoping he really was a Ute fan.

Yes Chris B, many are on to you.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 8, 2011 12:02 a.m.

@truecoug1: "And the only ones complaining about BYU's exposure through BYUtv are Utah fans."

Nope, I think its a great move by BYU to own its own broadcasting rights. I just don't think you have the same demand for BYUtv compared to Big 10, Texas, PAC-12 networks.

@trucoug1: "The difference between BYU and Utah is that BYU's can stand alone with its national brand."

@trucoug1: "Utah's brand gets shuffled into the PAC 12 mix and I guarantee when people see PAC 12, they don't think of U"

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 8:10 a.m.

@Uteology "I just don't think you have the same demand for BYUtv compared to Big 10, Texas, PAC-12 networks."

Fair enough. I don't think the demand for the PAC 12 will be remarkably high, either. I'm a college football fan, but I don't have the Big Ten or Texas networks on my satellite package. Frankly, I don't see the incentive for people outside of the PAC 12 to buy the separate sports package that contains the national PAC 12 channel to watch PAC 12 football.

But maybe I'll be proven wrong.

"Nice try but BYU had to stand alone with its brand because the SEC, PAC-12, Big-10, etc. haven't shown any interest in the "Notre Dame/Texas of the West" brand."

But ESPN has...and as was my point, BYU doesn't need a conference in order to move forward in football. I don't think Utah could say the same.

"True, just like when people spoke of the MWC they didn't think of the Y. Instead it was the BCS busting brand of Utah and TCU."

Well said :)

Go Cougars!

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2011 9:00 a.m.

@ TheSportsAuthority

"Sounds like you're projecting your own inner Utah.

TCU 7-47
    Notre Dame 3-28
    Boise State 3-26"

Let's take a look at byu's 2010 losses.

Air Force 35-14 (Ouch)
    Florida State 34-10 (This was expected)
    Nevada 27-13 (Wow a loss to a WAC team)
    Utah State 31-16 (How embarrassing)
    TCU 31-3 (At least Utah got in the end zone)
    Utah 17-16 (Burton is still unblocked)

For future reference, don't post your rival school's losses when your own school was just as bad if not worse.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 8, 2011 1:00 p.m.

@truecoug1

No you are spot on that people won't pay for PAC-12 or Big 10 exclusively. But I think those networks come with the sports package. I have the Direct TV sports package and the Big 10 network came with it.

True BYU can standalone but only a handfull of schools that say that. Many other schools besides Utah can't go Indy like Oregon, Arizona, the Big Least.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 11:31 p.m.

@Uteology "But I think those networks come with the sports package. I have the Direct TV sports package and the Big 10 network came with it."

From what I've read, anyone living outside the PAC 12 region has to order the PAC 12 national channel for their cable to pick it up. But I could be wrong/reading false information.

"True BYU can standalone but only a handfull of schools that say that."

Which is part of why I suggested BYU's brand is a more national, recognized brand than Utah's. But if the U does well in the PAC 12, they could definitely jump right up there.

@Bleed Crimson

I find it ironic that BYU lost 6 games last season by a combined total of 103 points. In Utah's 3 losses, they lost by a combined total of 88 points...

Ouch.

Bad sign leading in to the PAC 12.

But good luck :)