Utah

Police, protesters profess praise over 26 arrests in DeChristopher demonstration

Comments

• jazzfan65 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 27, 2011 10:59 p.m.

"it was the smoothest arrest of 26 individuals that I have ever seen." I submit this for the best quote made by a police chief ever

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    July 27, 2011 11:02 p.m.

It's a good thing they didn't go onto the street on bikes. Cars would have hit them for sure...

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 7:43 a.m.

Sounds as though it wasn't really a protest but rather a spontaneous pep rally by older folks with police cooperation.

• Belching Cow Sandy, UT
    July 28, 2011 7:47 a.m.

So they interrupted trax because a criminal got punished for breaking the law? That makes perfect sense.

• Danish American Payson, UT
    July 28, 2011 8:36 a.m.

Where is the outrage from the citizens of Utah. These mineral leases pay money to the School Trust Funds. These protestors need to put their money where their mouths are and pony up what they have cost the state in lost school funds.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 28, 2011 8:36 a.m.

This is a heartwarming story because it's really a win-win for everybody.

I love a happy ending...

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 9:10 a.m.

It's nice when civil disobedience is met with...

civil discourse.

No riots, no violence, it even strikes me that no one even raised their voice. From either side.

We could learn a lot from this.

The only thing I would add is not not put yourself in harms way. i.e. I heard the train came close to hitting someone. I'm sure that would not be the intent of the driver, and would mar the very composed protest, and response from our citizens and officers.

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I can't help but wonder how these protesters got from their homes to the courthouse that afternoon. Did they walk?

• bricha lehi, ut
    July 28, 2011 10:12 a.m.

The way I see it, this was a perfect example of what America stands for. I don't agree with their position, but that is the beauty of the whole situation, they were able to express their opinion peacefully. I look at this and compare it to what has happened in the middle east recently. It makes me proud to be an American, living in a place where we all can voice whatever opinion we want without violence.

• BH Tremonton, UT
    July 28, 2011 11:10 a.m.

So many suggest that this is the way America is supposed to work. Peaceful protests. While I also am happy to hear that the safety of our law enforcement officers was never at risk from these protesters, and also that the protesters were not physically abused by those that could have momentarily forgotten their duty, this still was not without impact to others.

What about those passengers on the TRAX, who had nothing to do with the protesters or the court system who executed the sentece. But they were still forced to "participate", unwillingly being delayed from wherever they were going. Many may even been on a tight schedule. I know I would have been very frustrated with these selfish little childern trying to be something.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 11:15 a.m.

'What about those passengers on the TRAX, who had nothing to do with the protesters or the court system who executed the sentece. But they were still forced to "participate", unwillingly being delayed from wherever they were going.' - BH | 11:10 a.m. July 28, 2011

BH, I WAS one of those passengers. :) Going from the UofU hosptial to downtown. Typically the trip takes around 45mins. Not a problem, considering the traffic.

The prostesters cost me about...an extra hour.

While I can understand someone being fustrated at being delayed an hour, and I admit many of us would like others to respect our scheduale...

I would have rather waited that hour, and more, than anyone be hurt.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    July 28, 2011 11:23 a.m.

The minute the protesters became disruptive to hundreds of others, I lost respect for their attempt to garner attention. These kinds of disruptions of unnecessary, and dangerous!

• WhatsGoingOnHere Ogden, UT
    July 28, 2011 11:44 a.m.

This demonstration didn't have proper permits and should have been shut down quickly. They were causing a public nuisance and should not have been allowed to stay on the streets. But instead of dealing with the problem, the police ignored the situation and was complicit in helping the protest to continue.

The people should recognize where their police chief stands on these issues and should vote accordingly. He should be removed from office in the next election.

It shouldn't have taken 4 hours to arrest people that wanted to be arrested.

It is a good thing that there was no emergency where firemen or police needed to get through quickly. We should all be outraged that it took the police so long to get the mess cleaned up.

The protesters should have gotten permits, and kept it to the sidewalks. As soon as they went onto the streets, they went too far!

• bricha lehi, ut
    July 28, 2011 11:59 a.m.

WhatsGoingOnHere

As far as I understand the situation, that is when the police did step in, when they went out into the street. I think they handled it very well, like I said before I don't agree with what they are standing for, but they were able to get their point across without anyone getting hurt, and when they did become a public nusance they were taken to jail.

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    July 28, 2011 12:45 p.m.

A police chief who describes law-breaking as "people who came here to make their point"? So if that's how he sees it then who is supposed to protect us from people blocking roads and trax trains?

• Danish American Payson, UT
    July 28, 2011 1:07 p.m.

@WestGranger: This police chief feels the same way out illegal immigrants. They are only here to make a point and certainly none of them would have broken any laws.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    July 28, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Burbank's job is to avoid "inconvenience to the public" from happening and to protect public safety. They should have rounded them up and hauled all of them off when it started. By letting it go on they could have really had the confrontation that they were trying to avoid. Burbank will get cudo's from his liberal buddies for his tolerance, but he should think of the public at large and the dangers to the public at large a protest such as this can potentially cause.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    July 28, 2011 2:41 p.m.

WestGranger @ 12:45

You have to understand that Chief Burbank is one of the new "progressive" cops. He was, after all, the guy who acutally said "enforcing the law increases crime".

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 28, 2011 3:42 p.m.

I agree, the police chief blew this one and we voters need to remember it. He should've respected those folks on TRAX who actually have jobs, contribute to society in a positive way, and put these lawbreakers away quickly. If the police chief thinks this is how to make a point he's just opened a huge can of worms. His precedent has been set, he is no longer a viable law enforcer and should be suspended for his inability to enforce the law. And shame on the DNews for making this love-in seem like a good thing when it was far from it.

• gb says SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 28, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Brave Sir Robin and the 14 readers who recommended his comment:

Really?

Informed opinion requires that first you are informed. The DN article that you are commenting on says:

"When they arrived at the jail, seven of the 26 protesters chose to accept a citation instead of being booked. The rest spent a few hours in jail, but all were released by 11 p.m. that night."

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 5:34 p.m.

"The protesters - mostly unemployed college dropouts - get to go to jail and enjoy a cleaner bed than they're used to and a few square meals, all paid for by someone else. That right there is living the liberal dream. So the protesters win.
    On the other side, the rational people in society get 26 hippies off the street for a night or two. So the people win."

Robin, do you have any reading comprehension? You and the others that recommend your comment?

No one spent even one night in jail, I would be very surprised if anyone ate any meals while in booking, let alone "a few square meals."

The protestor interviewed is a graduate student, hardly a drop out. Do you have any source that any of the other protestors were drop outs?

Can you please tell us how you have any knowledge of the usual sleeping conditions of any of these people? How would you know how clean any of their beds are?

Hippies? Really? Wow, I haven't seen any hippies around since the 60s.

One more question, do you always just make things up?

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 5:49 p.m.

Many of you posters are clearly not fans of the US Constitution.

Congress shall make no law respecting. . . the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

They were peaceful, they had every right to assemble.

Once they stepped into the street to block traffic they were breaking the law. At that point the police calmly arrested them.

So what is your guys problem?

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 7:45 p.m.

Are you freaking kidding? I question someones reading comprehension and you won't post it! Ughh! Come on. Really?!

Man I wish the tribs comment board wasn't absolutely awful to use!

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    July 28, 2011 10:21 p.m.

Sir Robin's comment was funny. I'm guessing that's why so many people recommended it. Even funnier is the guy that gets his shorts in a knot and thinks he's been censured. So after all of the Kum-ba-yah who really thinks it will amount to a hill of beans? As long as Obama is the pres and Salazar is the secretary, the leases ain't going to happen. If we get a new set of pharoahs in 2012 then we might see some movement.

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    July 28, 2011 10:39 p.m.

For once a law that Chris Burbank will enforce. That's a new one!

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    July 28, 2011 10:54 p.m.

Mark - it seems Sir Robin has 19 recommendations (from one post) and you have 2 from 3 posts. Sir Robin wins!

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Gosh, woodyff, you are right robin did get many recommends. I didn't know it was a contest though. But haha, yeah he wins.

Of course you notice you have zero, as of this post. But it is okay.

Yeah Eliot, I know, I get my pants all in a twist. Darn. Of course the first post wasn't there when I made the comment to the monitor, and the next post was, so yeah, I thought it got booted. The frustration in my comment? I get a lot of my comments not posted that I think should be. Not the biggest fan of the random nature of the monitors on this site.

Oh well. Seldom do the monitors post comments that are about them. Didn't think they would post it. Haha, my bad. I'll have to remember to cuss the next time I don't want something posted.

But you really think Robins post was funny? Well no explaining what people find er, funny. I guess junior high kids might find it funny too. I doubt it though.

Funny? Really? Well Okay.

• Mohawk SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 29, 2011 12:50 p.m.

The police chief and his officers should be commended for the professional way that handled this situation. Clear thinking was evidenced in this situation. Thanks for a good job.

• gb says SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 29, 2011 2:01 p.m.

Woodyff--

Fact: Neither Sir Robin nor those who recommended his post had read the DN article.

It was a post based on fantasy and if those who recommend it do so because they find it funny, so be it. That's just an example of the nature of today's comments' debates here and in other media outlets: throw in some myth or some fantasy and perpetuate these and you have a following in fantasyland!

• skinnyreporter Farmington, UT
    July 29, 2011 5:39 p.m.

This is just more proof that global warming is real. If students are willing to pay fines and spend time in jail for supporting another student who was convinced that he could do his part to stop global warming, then there must be something to the theory that polar bears could drown if we don't stop driving cars powered by fossil fuels. So as a lover of cuddly arctic bruins, I salute those who accept Al Gore's predictions that the sea will inundate Washington D.C. and New York City if we don't start driving Volts and mowing our lawns with electric Toros.

• ChickyintheMatrix Farmington, UT
    July 29, 2011 5:44 p.m.

The money-quote: "We've been working all along, throughout the trial as well as through the sentencing process, with the group of individuals and saying, 'Hey, we're here to facilitate you getting your peaceful message out there,'" the chief [Burbank] said Wednesday.

The liberal ideologue, Chief Burbank is at it again!

His political activism/ideology has no place when he's on the clock. To admit he's been working with these folks all along is a stark admission of 'enabling' a group of nuisance activists who otherwise may not have been so brazen, that is until they learned that a liberal and sympathetic Burbank was in charge to keep the peace.

This reminds me of his very public, vocal opposition to illegal immigration enforcement measures, and his stark refusal to do the job of upholding the laws put in place by the people - through elected, representative government and the democratic process.

I have no problem with the chief's personal political beliefs, but when he's on the clock, his support, or opposition to, these events should be neutral. I don't recall his polite accommodations,cooperation and hospitality when we were organizing our protest against the amnesty/guest worker bill.

• FootballFelon Farmington, UT
    July 29, 2011 8:00 p.m.

The point of a protest is to raise public awareness on an issue, which is fine - PRIOR to the sentence being rendered. Before the ruling, it was a valid, peaceful method to encourage the public to write a letter to the editor, call the court and leave a message for the judge about your feelings on the case, or even participate in the sentencing as a character witness or friend of the court.

However, we've seen how this plays out in the past. There's a huge difference between raising awareness on something that's in your power to change or influence and this blatant disrespect for the law and the system in general. That's when we distinguish the difference between a noble, valiant cause and a bunch of stupidity that equates to "My way OR ELSE!"

Anarchy, tantrums and flash-mobbing to get your way because you couldn't acheive the public support and participation for your 'cause' is so...Burbank. It's also un-American. And the very small crowd that participated in your hostage-taking of our streets ought to be a very big clue that most of us disagree with your perspective and wanted justice to prevail.