Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette camp doesn't disappoint admirers

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:05 a.m.

And Jimmer's 'mission' continues to roll forth.

I bet those kids had the time of their life! How exciting is that? To be tutored and mentored by the nation's best and most popular college basketball star.

Jimmered again!

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Jimmer was one heck of a college player. But I think the NBA will be a different story. Jimmer will have an extremely tough time competing with the likes of Lebron James or Dirk Nowitzki.

Jimmer also can't play defense and he won't be able to drive to the basket because of the size and the speed of the players in the NBA.

Unfortunately, Jimmer will be a sixth man who comes in to hit threes when the team needs a spurt. I hope Kings fans aren't getting too hopeful or excited. I'd hate to see them disappointed.

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Found it interesting that in the paper this article is juxtaposed with the one about how many more Sunday games the U of U is going to have, but this article didn't mention at all that Fredette is going to be playing many more Sunday games himself. As someone who has lived in Provo, but was not a BYU student, I grow tired of hearing so much about Fredette. He's no different than many of our neighbors and fellow ward members we have criticized (which we shouldn't) for working on Sundays. As far as role models, there is no reason to look to athletes when there are people much closer to us doing the best they can and setting good examples of simple, yet productive and inspiring lives.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    July 24, 2011 2:25 p.m.

Richard: I agree with you that there are lots of people much closer to home to look to and admire. These people really are heroes because they quietly go about doing the right thing for the right reason without anyone noticing.

But in today's world, it is the exception rather than the rule for some one with good moral standards -- like Jimmer -- to appear in the limelight. Therefore, I think it is worthy of celebration. Once in a while, the good guy in the white hat really does win -- David can slay Goliath and save the day.

• ted cantrell OREM, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:06 p.m.

I Still Can't Say It

I am so tired of hearing that Jimmer can't play defense and can't compete with Lebron James or Dirk Nowitzki; just a sixth man. Not too many can compete with Lebron or Dirk, and not too many can defend them. So what is the deal. Is your Ute heart so green with envy that you are still trying to beat a dead horse?

Richard Saunders

Like it or not, impressionable young people create heroes out of professional athletes. You don't see our great neighbors on Sports Center, etc... As for me, I much prefer to see Jimmer as Lebron, Dirk, etc. as a role model.

• ted cantrell OREM, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:06 p.m.

PS Great article Dick!

• The Rocker Bountiful, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:27 p.m.

I am a Ute fan and I used to enjoy the BYU/Utah rivalry until it became a bunch of poppycock. Jimmer is awesome! I am a fan of him for the same reasons I have been a fan of Andre Miller,Tom Chambers,Steve Young,Danny Ainge,and a few others. Just a great human being and a nice guy. And doesnt make classless statements like we heard from Max Hall. Just plays basketball.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    July 24, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Rocker, I too enjoy watching the talent from both schools.... But Max was right, his observations were the same as mine and as far as I am concerned they represented truth, not the lack of class that you suggest....

And "I still can't say it"....Jimmer will be Rookie of the year and he will do it by taking over the starting Point Guard job 15 games into the season.... He will average 20 pts p/g, 6 assists p/g, less than 2 TOs p/g and he will do it on 45% shooting.

• Jazz2Win Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Dang you Jazz for not drafting Jimmer!

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:31 p.m.

@Jazz2Win

The Jazz were never interested in Jimmer. Trust me when I say this, Jazz management was relieved when the Kings took Jimmer.

It allowed the Jazz to pick up a high-caliber player without feeling the wrath of the local fans of the school in Provo.

Jimmer on the Jazz would've been a disaster. While his playing here may have sold a few extra tickets in the short term, taking Jimmer in the first round would've guaranteed that the Jazz would not reach the playoffs for years and years.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    July 24, 2011 7:25 p.m.

Ok, istillcantsayit, please share with all of us, who is your official favorite team, college or professional?
    It's easy to criticize without committing yourself to anything or anyone.
    And who is your version of the perfect player, who not only plays a perfect game, but is also a tremendous human being on and off the court.
    It's easy to sit in your chair and criticize good people who do the most with their special talents and work their hearts out to develop them.
    So again, please share.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:37 p.m.

re: Jazz2win

Jimmer is not a #3 pick. Sorry.

re:I still can't say it

Whatever mister Jazz insider....like you know whether they were interested or not. The Jazz are notoriously tight-lipped and they sure weren't telling you and I suspect they would have picked jimmer at 12 had he been available.

He is not a #3 but in this draft he probably was good enough to go at 12. The guy can shoot and just like he will not be able to guard other stars they won't be to guard him either. The best college players tried all season long and nobody could stop him and they all seemed to be good enough.

The truth lies somewhere between the extremes of him being a superstar and a flop but most of you clowns are to polarized to admit it.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:59 p.m.

@ I still can't...

What you still can't or won't say is what the rest of the world knows and recognizes, Jimmer is a great B-Ball player and a great role model. This article had nothing to do with his his prospects for success in the NBA and how he will compare with two of the best players in NBA history - Dirk and Lebron. However, just like them, he is recognized by his first name only with no last name ever needing to be mentioned. I'd say that's a pretty good starting point.

As far as your comment that the Jazz were never interested in Jimmer and were relieved when the Kings took him, you are 100% wrong. I can tell you for a fact that Greg Miller wanted to take Jimmer with the 12th pick and was disappointed that he wasn't available. So, a word of advice, get over your hatred of Jimmer and all things BYU - it's making you look pretty foolish.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    July 24, 2011 11:15 p.m.

Great article, Dick Harmon.

Jimmer has help make BYU a national commodity. Thanks, Jimmer. Your legacy continues. You're a great role model for all these young guys!

Go Cougars!

• Bobby joe SAINT GEORGE, UT
    July 24, 2011 11:44 p.m.

I Still Cant Say It...and any other doubters out there... lets let do facts speak for Jimmer instead of jumping to opinion of the uneducated..

First of all, Jimmer is NOT slow... of comparable guards tested in the combine, Steph Curry, Ty Lawson, and Deron Williams, jimmer finished 2nd in the 3/4 sprint, and ahead of DWill. Also, he finished first in the lateral quickness.

Secondly, when DWill came out it was said of him "Can play defense well at times, but needs to save himself on that end of floor to play many minutes" huh??????? so Dwill gets a free pass????? Do you not remember the defense Jimmer played early in his BYU career, including then picking of a pocket of an A&M guard at midcourt during the NCAA tourney, and that he ranks in the top 5 career at BYU in steals?

Also, Jimmer will only have one defender on him... he will be the next DWill, Stockton, Nash, and Mark Price...

You all need to look at what he CAN do, instead of looking for supposed weaknesses.

For you saying he only shoots threes, he thrives on contact and driving to hoop.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    July 25, 2011 6:22 a.m.

Someone tell me what Jimmer has done to bring on criticsm. He is a good kid, signs every autograph, is polite, and a great player. It is weird to me that people still have to bash this guy. I hope Jimmer has a great career and maybe then all of these people will stop with the Jimmer bashing.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 25, 2011 7:01 a.m.

Jimmer won EVERY major award in college basketball. He won more trophies in a few weeks than most people win in a lifetime. Glad to see this trophy-winning and classy, classy guy is impressing and doing great things. I hope this one person will help give the Church a better impression in CA and he can be someone thousands more look up to as an example.

Jimmer represents everything BYU stands for. Proud of him!

Jimmer for 3 from the U!

• Red Headed Stranger Billy Bobs, TX
    July 25, 2011 7:50 a.m.

just-a-fan

What has Jimmer done to bring on this criticism?

The answer should be obvious. He is a BYU Cougar, and he is a success. Those two things together make some irrational people irrationally angry. It seems as if they have their whole life aimed at criticizing BYU, BYU alumni, and BYU's sponsoring institution. They post during the day when in theory they should be working. They seize upon the smallest of details to wrest their own interpretation of a supposed insult. They revel upon every BYU misstep, taking pleasure in someone's mistake and misfortune. They gloat in every BYU athletic loss, as if they themselves were the ones on the field who defeated the Cougars.

Why do they hate Jimmer? Very simple. He is a success, and they are not, and their psychological pathology compels them. It says much more about them then about Jimmer.

Why do I like Jimmer? He is a lot of fun to watch. He can move and shoot, and it was a fun ride while he was at BYU. Best of luck to him in the NBA.

• GJ Greenwood, IN
    July 25, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Good article, but was Jimmer really "talking off for Alaska"? It makes my jaw hurt just thinking about it.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT