Faith

SI features big-time recruit and his Mormon faith

Comments

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    July 20, 2011 8:27 a.m.

There is hope for the future in young men with this sense of self, character and realizing there are greater things in life than sports. I am proud of each of these men and all the others who follow in the same shadow.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    July 20, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Bad choice, Dallen. I made the same mistake and lived to regret it. If Jimmer can be a better missionary on the court than off, the same is true for you on the field. God gave you those gifts for a reason, and it was not to turn your back on them and lower yourself to the mediocrity of common missionary work that anybody could do.

I'm just sayin'.

• UGradBYUfan Snowflake, AZ
    July 20, 2011 9:39 a.m.

We can only hope that he will give BYU some consideration!

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    July 20, 2011 12:44 p.m.

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Right choice, Dallen. The people of Chile will be greatly blessed by your decison to serve. The talents and gifts that you have been bestowed with will allow you to alter and bless the lives of countless Chilean members and investigators. There is nothing common or mediocre about missionary work. Anyone that thinks an LDS athletes on-court performance trumps full-time missionary service has not been tuning into the last couple of Gen Conf's. Until I see some concrete numbers that show how many BofM's have been requested/placed, or discussions taught, and convert baptisms recorded due to Jimmer's on-court performance, then I will continue to hold fast to the Brethren's counsel that all worthy young men should serve, regardless of athletic prowess. I'm sure they're a lot of Uncle Rico's out there that think their 2 years of service destroyed their Big League dreams. A great example to look at is Brian Banks. A RM of the Seattle, WA Mission, BYU grad, and World Series Champion with the 2003 Florida Marlins.

• essay Redwood Valley, CA
    July 20, 2011 1:56 p.m.

I hope Parker is on BYU's radar and they're heavily recruiting him.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 20, 2011 2:07 p.m.

iamlds 2;
    No; buddy your not LDS. You may be a baptized member but your not in your heart. If you served a mission and still say what you did, you have some other problems you need to deal with. If you consider the salvation of souls and bringing people to the knowledge of Christ and the Atonement "mediocre" missionary work then you have serious issues. Going on a mission is 1. for the missionary and it prepares a missionary for life much better than sports or college. and 2. for the people who will be taught.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    July 20, 2011 2:16 p.m.

There is nothing "common" about any missionary service. Honorable service to our fellow man is uncommon today. If someone regrets his service, he probably did it for the wrong reason. Service costs time, talents, and abilities. If someone does it to receive anything other than the pleasure of serving others, he will always regret the service.

Everyone should serve as he or she is able. If we aren't in the young man's family or church leadership, we shouldn't pass judgement.

• LV Ute Fan Las Vegas, NV
    July 20, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Good choice Dallen. Plus, in my opinion, you're going to the best mission in the church. "La Luz del Este." Enjoy Santiago, you will love it!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    July 20, 2011 2:34 p.m.

I can't think of a situation in which going on a mission is a "bad choice."
    Either IAMLDS2 is trying to get a rise out of people or he's got some serious issues against the Church.

"lower(ing) yourself to the mediocrity of common missionary work that anybody could do" is utter nonsense and arrogance, and in your mind characterizes the gifted athlete as better and above everyone else.

I don't care if you are NBA caliber, the best thing you can do for your own growth and character is to humble yourself and spend 2 years proclaiming the gospel. It IS hard work and NO, not anyone can do it.

IAMLDS2, I think you are really, really off target here. Perhaps you're just being provocative?

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    July 20, 2011 2:36 p.m.

@i'mlds2,(yeah right), if you weren't so predictable you'd be clever.
    It's good to see with the new life you've chosen that you now are a happier and better member of society.
    Not everyone is a Jimmer, or an Osmond. Each person choses. But unless I'm sure I can have the same positive influence from my "career choice" that these people and many others have had, and have it last over a life time, then a mission is always going to be the right decision.
    Bottom line, I was happy to "lower myself" to do missionary work, and it continues to bless my life 35 years later....just sayin'

• Denver SANDY, UT
    July 20, 2011 2:38 p.m.

Some faithful young LDS men play professional sports on Sunday. Some do not. Some faithful young LDS men who are qualified in every way choose to go on a mission. Some do not. When they are faithful, qualified, and prayerful their choice is theirs to make and is between them and God. It is foolish for me to substitute my view for theirs. Paul reminded us we are all the Lord's servants, and therefore it is between the servant and his Lord alone for any judgment to be made. (Romans 14: 1-10.) I like Paul's recommendation that we all get "persuaded in our own mind" of what we decide to do, but stop short of "despising him that" chooses differently. I trust any prayerful decision is right for the person involved, whether I would have made the same decision or not.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 20, 2011 2:47 p.m.

I M LDS 2 is right.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    July 20, 2011 2:50 p.m.

Why are people saying that someone isn't LDS just because he had a bad experience on a mission?

That isn't correct. Your thinking reminds me of all the uneducated individuals that say that "Mormons aren't Christians." We are not very tolerant when the shoe is on the other foot, and we disagree with someone else.

Let's be a church or party of one. If we disagree with someone, we kick them out of the party or church. I don't agree with anyone on everything. Do you?

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    July 20, 2011 3:22 p.m.

Let's not forget that Steve Young's mission was to play football...as is Jake Heaps...to each his own.

• ChiefSportsFan Denver, CO
    July 20, 2011 3:23 p.m.

I M LDS 2 and Earnest T. Bass are so far off base that they really do not know where they are; or where they are going. Just sayin' . . .

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    July 20, 2011 3:41 p.m.

To "majmajor | 2:50 p.m." it isn't that "I M LDS 2" had a bad experience. It is the fact that he is encouraging somebody else to not serve a mission because of a bad experience.

You really should read your scriptures more. Jesus said that the Gospel is not for the perfect, but for the imperfect. If "I M LDS 2" is imperfect, then what better place to learn is there than God's Church on the Earth?

• majmajor Layton, UT
    July 20, 2011 3:56 p.m.

Redshirt1701 | 12:44 p.m. July 20, 2011
    Deep Space 9, Ut
    "TO "I M LDS 2 | 9:33 a.m." so what you are saying is that it is better to go against the word of the Prophets than it is to obey it. Wow, your screen name would indicate that you are LDS, but are you LDS in name only?"

Hummm. Maybe you should realize that someone is pushing your buttons. I think the other guy "has your goat." Laugh a little.

• UGradBYUfan Snowflake, AZ
    July 20, 2011 4:21 p.m.

I agree with Denver 2:38 p.m. Please don't impose your feelings on anyone else. I personally would choose the mission. But I won't speak as one that pretends to know what God wants him to do. I had a good friend, Peter Vidmar, the Olympic gymnastic champion, that chose not to go on a mission. I discussed it with him at the time that he was deciding if he would go on a mission. I know that he sincerely prayed about his decision, and he discussed his decision with his leaders, local and General Authorities, and I believe he chose what he felt his Father in Heaven would want him to do.

I know there are some people out there saying, "But the prophet said, 'every worthy young man should go on a mission'". Does God give "exemptions" from commandments to particular individuals in extraordinary situations? Well, I believe that Nephi was definitely given an exception when he was commanded to slay Laban. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the book of Mormon. Would any of us have chastised him after he took off his head? Would you say, "Nephi, you know 'Thou shalt not kill', how could you?"

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2011 5:12 p.m.

Anyone equating the decision that a LDS athlete has to make in regard to missionary service to the decision that Nephi had to make in regard to Laban needs to check themselves.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 20, 2011 5:45 p.m.

SI also features a swimsuit edition. Maybe don't get too wound up on the mormon boosterism thing.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    July 20, 2011 7:23 p.m.

Re: MAFU

The characters you refer to in your post in the names of "Nephi" and "Laban" are fictional. Yes everyone needs to check themselves before referencing and chastising from the book you speak of.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    July 20, 2011 8:45 p.m.

If you go on a mission for the right reason you will never regret it. If you go for the wrong reason it will be a miserable experience.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    July 20, 2011 9:58 p.m.

Once again I find myself asking-- did the writer of this story do any original research, get any quotes of their own? Why not just read the SI article? Is this a newspaper or a media clearing house? Seriously questions and you may also want to ask--- is a name change in order for the DNews?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 20, 2011 11:04 p.m.

@mightymite "The characters you refer to in your post in the names of "Nephi" and "Laban" are fictional."

Really? That's news to me. How do you know that?

I'd encourage you to read Moroni 10:3-5 and then follow through on its counsel. You'll be amazed by what happens and I guarantee it will change your life :)

Anyhoo, the decision to serve a mission is a very personal one. The prophet has counseled that every worthy young man should serve a mission. However, people have their free will and some choose not to go. It's not our place to slander them or defend them, but rather support and encourage them regardless of the decision.

I chose to serve a mission and, next to getting married to the most amazing woman in the world, it stands as one of the best choices and experiences of my life.

Dallen's made a great choice and it will bless him for the rest of his life.

If Jabari chooses to serve a mission, it will be one of the greatest experiences of his life as well. Here's hoping he's wearing BYU blue if and when he makes that choice :)

Go Cougars!

• Big R La Palma, CA
    July 21, 2011 1:45 p.m.

Why does everyone on these boards think they have to judge and lecture? Appreciate and cheer the talents and just like God's plan, let each person choose for him/herself. If you are close to the person you can advise, but if you are just some person who likes to read the Deseret News, then enjoy the articles and trust that each person has those they go to for advice and it most likely isn't someone who comments on the boards!

• bronco SPRINGVILLE, UT
    July 21, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Has someone told Dave Rose yet? Please I hope he reads this article :)

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    July 21, 2011 3:14 p.m.

He was on BYU radar but has his top 5 and the Y is no longer in the running.

• exjet BAKER CITY, OR
    July 21, 2011 9:07 p.m.

"Every young man should serve a mission? I must say with 4 young men in my house and being a recent young mens president I have been paying very close attention to these words when spoke by the phophets and in the last several years I keep hearing " Every young man should PREPARE to serve a mission" Completely different statement. Fits the church, as they don't usally make blanket statements that could be hurtful to someone who can't serve for mental or phyiscal reasons or perhaps other reasons. How many times have you heard 11yr olds can go on campouts if their dad goes? Check the book, it does not say that. How would that work for the one's without a dad. Sorry, just hate to see qoutes changed to say what you think they mean. fine line between opinion and judgement, let's let each use his free agency.If someone is really going to serve a mission I don't think someone expressing a negative opinion is going to carry more weight than Heavenly Fathers Spirit. Just sayin.

• JP Skillet SLC, UT
    July 21, 2011 10:10 p.m.

Re: exjet - ummmm...you are partially correct, but not so much. I've spoken to two apostles personally in the last 5 years and they said every young man should go, except for exceptions in physical, emotional or mental reasons, and of course worthiness. It's basically a commandment. you are right there is more to it than just a black and white thing, but the spirit of the law is not as liberal as you are making it sound. They should go and so should Heaps (too late cause he's married) and so should Jimmer. they chose to go against the prophets council and that's their choice. But it's essentially an order from Heavenly Father that is handed down through his prophets.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 22, 2011 1:27 a.m.

Seems like a terrific young man. A young man to be emulated, not judged. I wish him all the best.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    July 22, 2011 8:29 a.m.

Too funny. Many of you are supporting the decision to go on a mission. Are you some of the same ones who posted not that long ago supporting Utah Idol's (Jimmer) decision not to go on a mission - taling about how he served his mission another way and that was just fine?

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    July 22, 2011 9:57 a.m.

iamlds:

If you regret the choice to serve a mission, you need to re-examine your values. Someone who serves a mission and puts his/her own desires on hold to serve others is someone who will sacrifice for children or a spouse, and who will make a good husband and father, or wife and mother. But even better, someone who WANTS to serve others, and feels joy from doing so, is someone who is on a higher plane, and will be a GREAT husband, father, mother or wife.

When service is a joy based on one's personal value set, there is no sacrifice involved in helping others. Those who value service have the potential for almost constant happiness because they can control the very thing that makes them happy. They can serve others. They are not dependent on exogenous events, wealth, the actions of others, or even "success" to be happy. They can engage with others, serve them, and find peace and joy consistently.

So take a deep look at your personal values. I'll bet with some significant sould searching and effort, you can be much happier. And have more joy in your relationships and life.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 22, 2011 12:47 p.m.

you should all stop bickering over this... it's the young man's choice and he'll make it based on his own personal relationship with God. What each of you think means nothing.