LDS Church members rally around Jimmer Fredette

Comments

• B C Park City, UT
    July 6, 2011 4:49 p.m.

I have a brother who lives in the Sacramento area. He's not a BYU fan. I'm not sure he's ever watched a game Jimmer played in. He's not a Kings fan and he's never been to a Kings game. But, he's already planning to go to a few Kings games just to watch Jimmer.

Jimmermania is alive and well in Sac Town.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    July 6, 2011 4:59 p.m.

"Explaining that his faith is a big part of his life, Fredette said he plans to ... make himself available to speak to Mormon youth groups."

Not big enough to serve the Lord for two years as He has requested of all young men. Speaking to the youth would be so much more powerful if he had followed the Lord and His prophets. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching him at BYU - but there is alot more to life than playing in the NBA, NFL, or MLB. The example to the youth speaks volumes more than anything he will ever say.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    July 6, 2011 5:18 p.m.

I have been to two NBA games in my life. But, that will soon escalate.

I am already planning to see The Jimmer when he comes to play the Clippers and Lakers this coming year. A cousin of mine in Eureka, Calif. is encouraging me to meet him half way in Sacramento once this year just to see The Jimmer.

We are hooked!

• Tanyrb Highland, UT
    July 6, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Great guy, but not and LDS role model. Didn't do the two year thing

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    July 6, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Jimmer is like the Beatles!

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    July 6, 2011 5:53 p.m.

IJ really??? Since the church owns Deseret News and this was from a previous article, "The legend of Jimmer seems to be pretty widespread at this point including all the bits about his family and growing up and his religion.

But, the prolific bleacherreport.com has called the player of the year candidate "The greatest Mormon missionary in the world.""

Some people get so stuck in the "letter of the law", that by their judging, they sure don't understand the "spirit of the law". I am going to be grateful for the Donny's,the David's and the Jimmer's that have been idols for the youth and have lived the gospel. And what is worse, young men that don't fill the typical mission but impact many in and out of the church, or pious people who can't stop judging? Hmmm, ok, didn't take me long to decide. Oooops, I judged the people that judge, so I am worse then those young men who are spending more years as a light to the world, then I did when I served a mission. I am five years older then Donny, my mission ended, he still touches lives. Good for all of them.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    July 6, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Some comments seem to reflect a judgmental attitude toward Jimmer not befitting a member of Christ's church.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    July 6, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Many people have not served missions. Because you have served a mission does not make you a worse member. That doesn't define them as a person or as a member of the church. A person still has worth and can be a great role model for those around him.

Jimmer is a great guy and has produced more publicity for the church with his skills than I believe he would have by walking around all day in church shoes.

Tanyrb and IJ remind me of the pharisees in the scriptures. You both need to pull the big two by four out of your eye before you start to pick out splinters in others.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    July 6, 2011 6:07 p.m.

I don't understand the LDS faith how it's okay sometimes and not others. It's ok for LDS athletes to play on Sunday's if it's their job but not in college where they play for the school. THe church tells you "GO ON A MISSION" you sings songs in primary about the mission. If everyone (other LDS 19 year olds) had the mentality of some of these BYU athletes about missions then no one would serve.I mean really it's BYU a Mormonm school where they will pretty much hold your scholarship and everything. THey cater to you.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    July 6, 2011 6:10 p.m.

To IJ & Tanyrb

What do Jimmer have in common with Danny Ainge & Steve Young? No 2 years mission - yep. What is wrong with that? Get a life you two.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    July 6, 2011 6:27 p.m.

crowntown1 | 6:07 p.m. July 6, 2011
    Corona, CA
    "I don't understand the LDS faith how it's okay sometimes and not others."
    ===

Ummmm, crowntown1, it's called free will, self governance, or what ever you want to call it.

Kids stay home all the time, not just "BYU Athletes".

Do you ever get tired of whining about BYU?

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    July 6, 2011 6:27 p.m.

I definitely 100 percent support young men preparing for and going on a mission. That was definitely the greatest blessing for me to that point in my life was to serve a mission. I full heartedly believe that the mission opportunity gives a 19 year-old young man the greatest boost to the rest of his life.

But ...

My current bishop did not serve a mission. Does that mean he should be removed from his post? Of course not. He is an amazing man. When he speaks of missionary work, I feel the Spirit and I know he is speaking truth.

Heck, even my current Prophet (your Prophet, too) didn't serve a mission, but we all know the Spirit is with him.

Come on people. Judgement Day is not today and thank goodness none of you are the Judge.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    July 6, 2011 6:30 p.m.

The window of opportunity for an NBA career is fleeting. Those who stand in judgement should try walking in the shoes of someone who has to make that kind of career decision before passing judgement.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    July 6, 2011 7:05 p.m.

I am NOT a BYU fan but think Jimmer is one of the most outstanding athletes to have played ball at any college in Utah.

Sacramento's gain is the Jazz loss. Sad day when the Jazz let him slip thru their fingers.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    July 6, 2011 7:08 p.m.

IJ and Tanyrb, judge not lest ye be judged. I can not believe what you two are saying. If I remember right serving a two year mission doesn't make you any better than a person who didn't serve one. I served for a full time honorable mission in 1995-97 in the Tucson Arizona mission, and that doesn't make me better than my brother who didn't serve and happens to be in the high council, or my father who didn't serve a mission who served in the bishopric for 5 years, or how about Howard W. Hunter a prophet of the Lord, he didn't serve a mission either. Please get off your high horses and stop judging others. Look inside yourselves instead, and remove the sty from your own eye.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    July 6, 2011 7:10 p.m.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 6, 2011 7:12 p.m.

@tanyrb

"but not and LDS role model. Didn't do the two year thing "

Oh well then I guess the prophet isn't a role model either by your standards.

• OU812 Layton, UT
    July 6, 2011 7:14 p.m.

Shawn Bradley did and had a long NBA career. Nobody's passing judgement.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 6, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Just sa dang neat!

• LKA Tremonton, UT
    July 6, 2011 7:48 p.m.

It is funny how it all gets off the subject. When someone is so popular like Jimmer, Donny Osmond, Steve Young it would be too much of a distraction for them to serve a regular two year mission. Everyday people are more likely to be a success. These guys can serve when they get much older. Jimmer just being the person he is will be much of a influence.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    July 6, 2011 8:45 p.m.

Dear Jimmer,

Fresno is only a 3 hours drive away -- even less if my sister drives you.... Come and visit our youth anytime.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    July 6, 2011 8:58 p.m.

crowntown1 | 7:10 p.m. July 6, 2011
    Corona, CA
    "Then why go on a mission and give up 2 years of your life? Those 2 years you could work towards a career or finish college. Just be active and a good example and that could be your missionary work right?"
    ===

Right!

Why waste everyone's time (companions, zone leaders, mission president) doing something when you are distracted, or your heart is not in it?

I wish more people had the opportunity to spread the word like Steve Young, Brother Vai, Danny Ainge, David Archuletta and Jimmer, whether or not the did the "purse and script" thing.

There are plenty of missionary experiences, whether or not you commit for the two year gig. It really is not the right experience for "every" young man.

(Seriously, don't you think the world would be a better place if people worried more about their own actions, and less about the actions of others? The word jealousy comes to mind. "I did my time, why don't they"?)

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 6, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Thru his chosen Prophet the Lord has counciled that he would like all young men when they reach the age of 19 to go on a mission but it is the individuals choice as to whether or not they follow that council and decide to make the sacrifice and go. It is two yrs and it is at the prime time of life for these young men (some young women go too), it is a big sacfice for some but having gone on a mission myself it is something I would encourage and recommend every young man do. A young man or woman who goes on a mission (if they go for the right reason) will have experiences that will be a benifit and blessing to them for the rest of their lives. That being said, it is still the young man/woman's choice and they shouldn't be critisized if they choose not to go. Maybe they will choose to go later in life with their wife. There are many ways to spread the message of the restored gospel and Jimmer even though he isn't going onamission persaynow isandwillbedoing everything hecanto be amissionary now, byexample orwhateverhecando.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 6, 2011 9:11 p.m.

Well from my neck of the woods is Dale Murphy. He had a great pro baseball career and did not serve a mission early in life. But he was a mission president a few years ago.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    July 6, 2011 9:35 p.m.

IJ and tanryb:

Your kidding right? He is and will do more for the church right now than he would have ever done on a two year mission. He reaching from the west coast to east coast, oh foget it he's gone global.

• Munk Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 6, 2011 10:10 p.m.

Ok, so Jimmer did not do his mission and this makes him a bad role model? Oh come on. When you have someone like Jimmer who is in the national spotlight and talks positively about his faith, his family, his home then that is a very good thing.

He has already reached out to more people in regards to the LDS church than most missionaries could do in a life time. His career and his life are his mission. No.. I see nothing bad about this so far, only good.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    July 6, 2011 10:24 p.m.

Don't focus on the trolls. It is amazing the Dnews lets that jibberish get posted. Look Jimmer is a fantastic individual with terrific talents and was a great student. He is going to be a tremendous leader and props to him for what he has accomplished not what he didn't do.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    July 6, 2011 10:35 p.m.

We love Jimmer and went to every home game last year to watch him and his superb teammates play. He will be a great missionary for the Church wherever he goes and whatever he does. He can go on a door-knocking mission when he is 50+ years old. Remember, his mom is a Catholic. I'm just happy he made the choices he did to be where he is today, taking nothing away from her. She seems like a terrific person as is his LDS convert dad.

Go Jimmer! Rock Sacramento (if the NBA owners and players ever get it together so you can actually play).

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    July 6, 2011 11:49 p.m.

Bottom Line, you were saying what I was thinking, but didn't have the words. I read some of the comments (trolls) and they are sounding so out of the know. The sweet little digs, oh I didn't know that, so why this? I did serve a mission as a sister, my husband did not. But he has to be one of the greatest guys in the world, he treats me with the greatest respect and loves me unconditionally. My step sons did not serve a mission, the two that are active in the church, have held leadership callings. I have two step grandsons that are getting close to that age, the one might not be able to go because of his ADHD and ODD. Fantastic kid, with a heart as big as gold and if he can't serve in that capacity, he will in some other way.

• OU812 Layton, UT
    July 7, 2011 12:32 a.m.

Crazy how non trolls can spin things for their own ideas:

I was asked a few years ago, Should every young man who is a member of the Church fill a mission? And I responded with the answer the Lord has given: Yes, every worthy young man should fill a mission. The Lord expects it of him. And if he is not now worthy to fill a mission, then he should start at once to qualify himself....

Certainly every male member of the Church should fill a mission, like he should pay his tithing, like he should attend his meetings, like he should keep his life clean and free from the ugliness of the world and plan a celestial marriage in the temple of the Lord. -Kimball

Nobody's saying that Jimmer is bad or cannot be successful in life or anyone who hasn't been for that matter. Just saying the counsel is there and each will answer for their own decisions.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    July 7, 2011 7:20 a.m.

Buying season tickets just because a Mormon plays on the team is still just a gigantic waste of money, imo.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    July 7, 2011 7:27 a.m.

Goodness gracious, so many of you complaining that Jimmer didn't complete the Mormon rite of passage to becoming a MAN. "Every young man on a mission" started with Kimball, those who don't feel a "calling" to go on a mission shouldn't go. Instead you all make it NECESSARY in order to accept the poor guys.

Go Jimmer, do your thing! (And I'm not even a Jimmer fan).

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    July 7, 2011 7:27 a.m.

If Jimmer were called on a mission to meet with the youth of the church, would that satisfy those who judge Jimmer? Probably not; they would say, "But he isn't serving full time".

Each person has to decide how he will live his life. We are told we should not judge anyone. So, all I can say is, "Jimmer, make your decisions about your life. We love you. God loves you. Do the best you can with the opportunities you have, and leave the rest to the Savior's atonement."

• Old Gregg Alpine, UT
    July 7, 2011 7:46 a.m.

@OU812

A mission is not a saving ordinance. Yes, the counsel has been given that every young man should serve a mission, but there is also free agency. Wouldn't it be nice if every member did everything that was counseled to do(hometeaching, temple attendance, tithing, etc). But we are still human and we all fall short of perfection. You don't know Jimmer personally, and you don't know what his thought process is, or anything about his decision to not serve a mission. No, The Jimmer did not serve a mission, but ask yourself, have you done EVERYTHING that has been counceled? I can answer that one for you, no you haven't! And the reason is because we all make mistakes. I wish Jimmer would have gone on a mission, but the fact that he didn't will not keep him out of "Heaven" and does not mean he won't be successful in life or that he won't be a great member of the church.

• grj Bountiful, ut
    July 7, 2011 7:49 a.m.

The article states "You can't underestimate how popular he is in the church."

What does that even mean?

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:07 a.m.

Jimmer could still go on a mission if he can vision if the NBA will be on a lockout for two years. His girl friend will be done with college in time for his return. But, that is okay because he is doing his church things for his new home town and everywhere in the world. Remember, not every young kids are suited to serve like myself who is almost totaly Deaf/Blind. My bishop asked me to serve in the Stake Mission in the Oakland, Ca region for one year. I'm fine with that at no fault to my bishop.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:19 a.m.

I gave up a promising baseball career to serve a mission. Two years out of action, and focusing on the work, ruined my chances.

If I had known I could have been a better missionary by going pro, I would have chosen differently.

I also followed the Prophet's counsel about getting married and starting a family. Meanwhile, sons of Apostles and Prophets were counselled by their parents to put off marriage and family until they finished their educations.

Seems there is a bit of "do what I say, not what I do" going on among the elite families of the Church.

• COOL HAND LUKE Old Ephraims Grave, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:23 a.m.

@ I J

Judge not lest ye be judged. Do you know the path of every young man/woman in the church? I think not. A mission is not always going to a foreign land to walk door to door. His mission is much different. Quit bagging on himSeriously!

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:48 a.m.

What is up with the mission thing?

How about:

1. The First Presidency, Monson, Eyring, Uchdorf, did not serve a mission when they were young men.

2. Howard W. Hunter did not serve one either.

3. Elders Nelson, Oaks, Hales and Packer did not serve either.

There are others in addition to this list.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 7, 2011 9:32 a.m.

It's the pious attitude of some Mormon church members that turn non-members off of the church. Seems that failing is still alive and well---sadly.

I've known many who won't have anything to do with learning about the faith because of the judgemental attitudes of church members they've met.

Talk about the reverse of doing missionary work!

Yet, those people are quick to judge The Jimmer.

• Julianne North Salt Lake, UT
    July 7, 2011 9:40 a.m.

I am a BYU and Jimmer fan and these people who cut Jimmer down because he didn't serve a mission should think about what they said, expecially when they haven't served. I haven't been or watched a Kings came but I am going to support Jimmer while he is playing pro basketball. Jimmer show them that you aren't faking it and good luck in the future.

• cymrul West Valley City, UT
    July 7, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Linus,

Why is it okay for members of the church to make comments about other people or groups that are "not befitting a member of Christ's church", but it takes negative remarks about a ball player from BYU for you to point that out?

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    July 7, 2011 10:04 a.m.

So tell me, what is a "mission"? FYI, there are people who serve missions from their home, I did for a short while as a support missionary for indexing, they also have New Family Search missionaries. There are people who are serving missions by way of computers and teaching that way. And honestly, it is NOBODIES BUSINESS!!! This is something that each young man must decide with his family, bishop, stake president and maybe others. But lastly, they need to go to the Lord and make this decision and if you don't agree, well, just keep your thoughts to yourself. Or rather then take the cowardly way and write it here, go find all the young men in the church who have not gone on missions and tell them all what you think of them. Do you have the guts to attack them face to face? Trust me, if I were talking to some of you in person about this and you were coming down on these guys, I would tell you face to face that it is none of your business. This is a fantastic kid and you will see the fruit of his labor.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 10:07 a.m.

It appears not to be all Mormons who are judging Jimmer, but rather certain Ute fans. Please do not confuse the two. Who started this tired discussion anyhw? It has nothing to do with the article.

====
    @ I M LDS 2

You sure are making a whole lot of assumptions there. 1) You definitely would have made it big in baseball if it weren't for serving a mission. 2) "sons of Apostles and Prophets were counselled by their parents to put off marriage and family until they finished their educations." I guess you must have their homes bugged to be privy to what advice they are giving their children, huh? I bet this statement just gives your wife and children warm fuzzies all over.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    July 7, 2011 10:08 a.m.

I know many LDS members including myself that think Jimmer is completely overrated.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 10:42 a.m.

man of few words,

I had the AAA contract sitting on the coffee table in front of me and my parents. I was ranked in the top 10 HS recruits in the country. What assumptions would you have made?

As for the sons of Apostles and Prophets, one of them was my good friend in college. He is now President of a University, and told me personally that his father counselled him in direct contradiction of Kimball, Hunter, Benson, and others to finish his graduate degree before considering marriage and children.

I bet trying to judge those you know nothing about give you warm fuzzy feelings, doesn't it?

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    July 7, 2011 10:49 a.m.

I hope you didn't interrupt my comment as judging. I was saying that many youth will use Jimmer and the rest you have pointed to and use it as justification for not going. When the Lord said all young men should serve a misson I believe he meant all. All those you have sighted could have served and been just as successful as if they hadn't served and the youth would have been that much more admiring. As far as who is more righteous - only the Lord can judge that. He knows the circumstances, he knows the heart. As far as motes and sties go - Maybe you could read your own comments and see just how condemning you are.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 11:19 a.m.

@I M LDS 2 ..... You just made me laugh!!!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    July 7, 2011 11:36 a.m.

Jimmer will be more effective as a missionary where he is than knocking doors anywhere in the world. We are all missionaries, or at least we should be. Jimmer is a role model for all of us!

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    July 7, 2011 11:50 a.m.

While I certainly don't judge Jimmer's choice, I have more respect and appreciation for guys like Tyler Hawes, David Foster, Collinsworth Brothers, etc. who put athletics aside and heed the prophet's call. I hope my sons look up to those guys. Especially in the case of Hawes, who has a real chance to go to the NBA.

We know where the prophet stands on the issue. We also know that a mission is not required for salvation. If Jimmer chose not to, that's his choice.

I do hope that we don't undercut what the full-time missionaries do. Sure, Jimmer will be able to reach more people then a full-time missionary, but that doesn't mean that what he is doing is better or more valuable than a full-time elder or sister.

Lest I be misunderstood, I am glad that Jimmer is using his talents to further the work of the Savior.

• Golfhack20 West Jordan, Ut
    July 7, 2011 12:08 p.m.

I for one am glad that my current Prophet President Thomas S. Monson and many other General Authorities didn't serve missions. They were protecting and fighting for this Country and allowing us to live a free life! Freedom is surely not free!!! Whether they serve in the Military or serve missions it allows them to serve and mature to be become better citizens, husbands/fathers and friends. That is what this life is all about. Serving and becoming better. Overcoming our own personal trials and struggles. Whether that means serving a mission or not we are all put here to make a difference. Some make it good and some make it not so good. We aren't the ones to decide who is what but support and love them for their own choices!!!!

• Officer Coolguy Highland, UT
    July 7, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Amen to everything Chris Bryant said.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    July 7, 2011 12:28 p.m.

How many people have joined the church since Jimmer has become popular? Probably a few to none. Granted we all assume he will be a great role model, I just dont get why so many get so defensive when someone has a different opinion on this guy. He could have served a mission but he didnt who cares. That was his choice, not ours to make. He did miss out on something very special but he can just be a good example for the church and that always helps the public image of the church. One good example is Dale Murphy, he was mentioned before by someone else. He may have not served a mission but he was mission president of the best mission on earth the Massachusetts Boston Mission! He did a great job and helped many come unto Christ. Freddette will have opportunities to serve in other ways. We dont know the future but I trust this kid will stay strong to his testimony. Good examples may not lead to more conversions but it does help people know more about the church and what we stand for. Who knows how many people he can influence?

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I M LDS 2, whether you could have made a professional baseball career or not, or whether certain of the brethren counselled their sons contrary to the statements of the prophets or not, really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. However, I am concerned for your cynical response to what happens. To paraphrase what a number of wise men have stated, it's not what happens to a man that matters, it's how he responds that matter. Your statements here indicate some deep-seated bitterness on your part. I hope you can let it go eventually.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 2:22 p.m.

Osgrath,

I don't know what you have been reading (between the lines), but there is no "deep-seated bitterness" at all. Just stating facts.

At the time I chose to serve a mission, there was much pressure from parents, the Ward, and the Stake, and there was no tolerance for "the wrong choice". I was torn between being highly recruited and doing what was commanded by the Prophets. It was not an easy decision.

But knowing what I know now, seeing how the Church's general attitude toward missions seems to have loosened, and having seen the "value" of a mission, if I could go back in time, I would have signed and played for Walt Haas, whom I met personally. I still have a pair of Levi's jeans I received on a recruiting trip.

It is what it is. I think we make way too much of serving missions, and put too much pressure on young men who could otherwise make great contributions to the world without serving a full-time mission. I was such a young man, and I think Fredette is, as well. I chose differently than he did.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    July 7, 2011 4:19 p.m.

@I M LDS 2
    Whats with all your regrets? Did you not have a good mission? Did you not feel the amazing spirit serving? Did you not experience the joy of seeing others come unto Christ. Did you not feel the Saviors overwhelming love everyday even when times were tough. Osgarth is right it seems like your very bitter. When its comes down to sports and the Gospel and you think you made the wrong choice, I would ask you to do some serious reflection and prayer asking God if you made the right choice. Heavenly Father gives us that commandment and he speaks through his prophets. You may have regrets but you cannot blame anyone for forcing you when ultimately it was your choice. Sport careers come and go very few ever make it professionally. Yes there are rare cases like Jimmer or Steve Young but there is only one time when your young, you get to serve the Lord and help so many people. Anything wonderful in my life now, I attribute to serving a honorable mission. Anyways you did the right thing by serving, I hope you realize this.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    July 7, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Im not active now but I can bet the First Presidency is pleased with the kind of light Jimmer is shining on the church. Jimmer is a great dude and yes, A great role model to the youth of the church.

Members of the church who are in the national spotlight have a lot more pressure to represent the church in a positive light than even missionaries do. A missionary makes a mistake and maybe a few hundred people might care. If Jimmer makes a mistake the news will go viral. (But of course, The Jimmer doesnt make mistakes)

Cant wait to see him take the court.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 4:27 p.m.

@I M LDS 2,
    Just out of curiosity, how long ago could you have signed the AAA contract? If it was 2 or 3 years ago, then I accept your statement - it would be fresh enough and I would expect you would still be working through your feelings.

If it was more than 10 years ago, you are harboring feelings that will do you absolutely no good and will eventually harm you. Again, let it go.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    July 7, 2011 5:08 p.m.

I M LDS 2: Thanks for pointing out that too much social pressure is placed on a young man to serve a mission.

The decision to serve should be between the young man and the Lord and the reason why some young men do not serve a 2 year mission should not be a subject of speculation.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 5:25 p.m.

I M LDS 2,

My statement to you was: "You sure are making a whole lot of assumptions there".

Assuming that you did in fact have a AAA contract and a friend who is a child of an unnamed general authority (we are anonymous after all -- realistically, you could be just making stuff up), I still stand by my statement.

Not every man who gets a AAA contract goes any further than that. People get injured. People wash out all the time. Also, there have been many athletes who have served missions and have returned and still made it to the next level. Some were given that chance; others, like Chad Lewis, created that chance for themselves. Your assumption here is that you would have made it as a Professional athlete and the mission is what kept you from that. Since there is no way of you knowing what would have happened, it is an assumption.

Your other assumptions are in regards to what general authorities council their own children. you are basing this off of heresay. You, in fact, did not ever hear any of these men give this council.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 7, 2011 5:26 p.m.

The internet gives more exposure to the LDS than they ever wanted. At least Jimmer is good publicity for a change.

• There's always room for Jello Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 5:31 p.m.

I never realized there were "elite" families in the Church. Interesting comment....

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    July 7, 2011 5:44 p.m.

I'm not sure how this discussion yet again digressed to Jimmer's missionary status. But I will throw in my 2 cents.

First off, my perspective is colored by my being a returned missionary. My 13 year old son is a huge Jimmer fan. When he discovered that Jimmer hadn't served a mission, it gave us a chance to talk about choices, obedience, free-agency, and the wonderful benefits of missionary service and obedience to God.

No one will be denied the blessings of membership or of hearing the gospel because of Jimmer's decision. A just God would not do that. The person who ends up missing out is the person who chooses not to serve. Also, the person who serves and resents it should probably just stay home. They make it harder on everyone else and end up resenting the Church. That's my perspective.

As for Jimmer, in particular, I will say that he has his free-agency and the Holy Ghost. He is in charge of his life and I am in charge of mine. My life is a full-time job.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 5:49 p.m.

man of few words,

No, I did not hear GAs give that counsel. I heard one of the sons of one of those men testify that his father gave him that counsel.

Any questions?

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 5:55 p.m.

Osgrath,

I served honorably in many leadership positions, including AP, ZL and several branch presidencies.

But I would have really enjoyed that fat baseball contract I was offered!

My point remains: young men are pressured too much to blindly serve missions instead of taking advantage of other opportunities to achieve great things. Although I chose differently than Jimmer, I agree 110% with his choice, and as I have stated, if I had it to do over again, I would have chosen the contract, not a mission. And I counsel all young men accordingly. Go on a mission if you have nothing else going on in your life, but don't sacrifice a promising future for a mission.

(Maybe that's why they released me as Bishop).

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 6:11 p.m.

I M LDS 2

So, to understand this correctly, you did NOT hear the general authority give this counsel. His son, who was or had been putting off marriage, justified this decision by saying that his dad told him to.

From this, you have decided that, not only is it true, but it also must therefore extend to all general authorities. That is what I mean by you making a lot of assumptions.

Also, I'm not sure what makes it YOUR place to advise other people's children to ignore the counsel of the Prophet. That seems intrusive and highly inappropriate to me. You've obviously missed the whole point of serving a mission and that is truly sad for you.

• Target Provo, Utah
    July 7, 2011 6:21 p.m.

man of few words

"You've obviously missed the whole point of serving a mission and that is truly sad for you."

Yep.

• Jack Winters Provo, Utah
    July 7, 2011 6:24 p.m.

I M LDS 2

Wait ... you've been off your mission long enough to have served as Bishop?! Dude, just let it go already. Time to get a new dream. Maybe you a supposed to be a currant bush and not a shade tree....

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 7, 2011 7:31 p.m.

I bet non-Mormons reading these posts are going to be really confused; have a strange idea of what Mormons are; wonder what the fuss is all about; etc.

Get a grip, people!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 8, 2011 5:37 a.m.

@whatsinitforme

We are not confused in the least.......it is absolutely absurd dialogue and can be very entertaining at times buddy! Different strokes for different folks as I see it. Cheers!

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    July 8, 2011 6:20 a.m.

It's time for Jimmer to fulfill his responsibility to the Church and go on a Mission.

• Big_Ben SLC, UT
    July 8, 2011 8:10 a.m.

"I served a full time mission. Let me just say, Jimmer has brought more exposure to the church than I could have done on a 30 year mission."

Yes, but those you taught will love you and thank you and will always be thankful to you for the rest of eternity. Those who are conversion starts with a professional athlete that they will never meet or know personally will either become converted by actually doing the soul searching themselves, or they will fall away quickly (demonstrating that they were actually just groupies).

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    July 8, 2011 9:56 a.m.

Personally, I don't worship idols.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 8, 2011 6:24 p.m.

I'm LDS 2: I feel bad that you have had so many wonderful opportunities to serve the Lord and you still seem to have a chip on your shoulder about when you went on a mission and that it cost you the opportunity to play baseball.
    Playing baseball or going to school or anyother opportunity to do something else isn't a good excuse to ignore the Lords council and nottoserve. I respect a young man deciding not to go on a mission, I don't agree with it but I respect it. He has freeagency but I would hope he would use that freeagency to follow the Lord. I feel bad that as a Bishop (or now) you would council young men in any way that is different than what the Lord would have you council. The things of this world are not as important as the things of God and putting the things of this world ahead of the things of God priority wise is poor council.
    I know many men who are as good as any men I know that didn't go on missions but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have followed the Lords council to servemissions.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 8, 2011 6:37 p.m.

Most of the wonderful men I know that didn't go on missions wish they had and would council other young men to follow the Lords council and serve a full time mission. Jimmer has freeagency and has chosen not to serve a full time mission, now that he has made that decision, I hope he does all he can to be a good example and to spread the message of the restored gospel thru his popularity as a NBA player. I think that is what he wants to do and I applaud that, he will have the opportunity to influence many people and the Lord can use him as a missionary even though he is not a full time missionary. Very few young men will have the opportunity to be like Jimmer, so to council other young men not to follow the prophet would be a mistake IMO.
    Way too much is made of sports, I am a big sports fan and probably have spent too much time playing, coaching, watching etc , it is good clean entertainment but it is not nearly as important as trying to do the things the Lord would have us do.

• AZ Long Beard MESA, AZ
    July 8, 2011 11:10 p.m.

Jimmer's decision is his own. But Elder Anderson set the record straight in his talk at April Conference. He told the story of the New Zealand rugby star who postponed his career to serve a mission. He returned to be a star. POINT: Every worthy and able young man should serve a mission. I agree that Donny Osmond was probably the exception because he was world famous at a young age. But I guarantee that millions of people living in countries all around the world don't have the slightest idea who Jimmer is or who Steve was. Who remembers Devin Durrant? There was a kid in a very similar situation. Lots of hype. But he did serve his mission even when many said he should stay and play. His NBA career never materialized. But he can always say that he followed the prophet. I hope Jimmer is a huge success. But a fantastic NBA career will never substitute for a 2-year mission where one sacrifices everything for others rather than making $$$ for oneself. No comparison.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    July 9, 2011 7:17 a.m.

ALL young men are expected to go on a mission. Using his visibility as a basketball player as a reason to not go is ridiculous. One of the reasons to fulfill the mission is for the building of the individual. Shooting hoops doesn't quite do that.

• Native Angeleno LOS ANGELES, CA
    July 11, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Sorry, Moroni, but Jimmer's gonna sit on the bench and play mostly in the 4th quarter in games and situations where the team is woefully behind. He can't play defense. It was embarrassing for his fellow Moroni to lavish attention on him while Tyler Honeyctt, who knows how to play D and so will at least double Jimmer's playing time, sat ignored. The Sacratomato Kings played Moroni for suckers, knowing you will ooze out of the woodwork to buy tickets for a sport you barely pay attention to, or you would know better about Jimmer's limited future in the sport. The King's ownership is into Jimmer for the money. Moroni are into the celebrity of fellow Moroni. By the ecstacy of your involvement in this, you are yet again being played for hicks.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 12, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Native Angeleno: Your way off my friend, Jimmer was taken #10 in the draft because of his BB skills not his popularity, popularity won't keep fans coming to the games, winning will and Jimmer will help make that happen. That is why he was drafted ahead of Honeycutt. Jimmer didn't even try to play D last yr with BYU but when he tries he plays D just fine. IMO Jimmer will be in the top 5 for ROY, that is if we have a season.

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:09 p.m.

He can play church ball on my team. I guess the NBA wont be playing this year.