Utah

Crews rush to meet 'Extreme Makeover' deadline in South Jordan

Comments

• arewethereyet Parowan, UT
    June 28, 2011 6:12 a.m.

Wow. 200,000 cubic yards of material moved on a quarter acre lot? Hmmm...I don't think so. There are 4840 square yards in an acre, so there are 1210 in a quarter acre. That means they dug down 165 feet to get to the point where they moved 200,000 cubic yards. Were they digging a replica of the Kennecott mine? Interesting article....if only the facts were checked.

• ArizonaDad flagstaff, AZ
    June 28, 2011 7:21 a.m.

From the article:

"He couldn't release the square footage of the home but said crews excavated 200,000 cubic yards of dirt for the foundation and basement from the quarter-acre lot."

Let's do the math:

A quarter acre is about 11,000 sq. ft. A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. 200,000 cubic yards is 5,400,000 cubic feet. 5,400,000 cubic feet divided by 11,000 square feet is 490 feet. They dug the entire lot down 490 feet?

Now that's impressive!

Got math, DN?

• ArizonaDad flagstaff, AZ
    June 28, 2011 7:23 a.m.

Dang. Ya beat me to it.

Shucks.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:27 a.m.

Wow I knew that Kennecott got the clearence to start digging more, but I didn't know they had already dug 450 ft.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:39 a.m.

I'm happy for Jonah and all the support he's receiving. I just wish we could even out the generosity to the other people in our community who need similar help.

• splitme2 West Jordan, UT
    June 28, 2011 12:22 p.m.

USAlover; I hear ya. They could have helped several families with those kind of numbers. $550,000 home? Are these people going to be able to pay the taxes on that. It should be at least $3,000. Or, will they sell it to get a half a mil? These projects make for a good show but what happens after that? Let's be realistic.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    June 28, 2011 2:17 p.m.

I don't understand the message Extreme Home Makeover is sending with these kinds of gifts.