Utah

Poll: Mormon church membership negative for Huntsman, Romney

Comments

• RichardB Murray, UT
    June 20, 2011 8:17 p.m.

Gays, amnesty etc. The LDS have had bad press lately.

I had friends across the country call me and ask why the were trying to give illegal immigrants mass amnesty in our state. With the majority of Americans against amnesty, it won't help.

• seer kaysville, ut
    June 20, 2011 8:29 p.m.

A very fair article with a nice compare/contrast with Kennedy and the religious perception. Like Kennedy, if Romney is elected, the number of those who would not vote for a Mormon would drop by more than half within the first year of Romney's term.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 20, 2011 8:37 p.m.

I spent practically of my life east of the Mississippi and I think you may be surprised how many non Mormons, except for the religious fanatics, will support a Mormon because they are Mormon. My stature has always been elevated when people found out that I was a Mormon. Sonja Johnson caused some negative influence among professional women but not women in general.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    June 20, 2011 8:42 p.m.

What a great opportunity for Mr. Romney and Mr. Huntsman to show the world how good "Mormons" live. If they truly live their religion, they have nothing to fear. If they loose because they live their religion, they will have still won. They will have proven that they place God before public adulation. Not many politicians would do that.

In the last race, it became clear that some politicians would say anything and do anything to get an advantage. Both Mr. Romney and Mr. Huntsman are better than that.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2011 8:51 p.m.

Those numbers have been pretty steady for decades though there is one reversal over the past 4 years. Back in 2007 the gallup poll found conservatives less willing to vote for democrats than liberals. This time democrats are less willing (27% won't vote for a mormon) than independents or republicans (20% each). That reversal is probably the prop 8 effect.

The atheist numbers are just atrocious in the poll with 49-49 for those willing-unwilling to vote for an atheist.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2011 8:56 p.m.

"it became clear that some politicians would say anything and do anything to get an advantage. Both Mr. Romney and Mr. Huntsman are better than that. "

Trained dolphins don't flip as much as Romney.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    June 20, 2011 9:06 p.m.

I live out side of the Inter Mountain west were Going to church in a 1 hour trip one way. Most people in my community support Mitt for the shear fact unemployment is at 22 percent here. They don't care if he is Mormon or not they want a president that will lead!

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    June 20, 2011 9:28 p.m.

Sadly I believe that it is still the two ton gorilla in the room.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    June 20, 2011 9:40 p.m.

Anyone who has lived outside of Utah, particularly in the South knows that Mormons are accepted like a kid eating broccoli by the Southern GOP Evangelicals. Anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. Watch as Romney and Huntsman get mired in sludge in the South, just like Romney did last time, he did terribly.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    June 20, 2011 11:11 p.m.

Even with the the Twilight books, David Archuleta, Mitt Romney and Jimmer, the majority of people in this country still view Mormons and outside the norm and that likely isn't going to change for a long time, if ever.

Now, to my fellow Latter-day Saints, when people bash us or ridicule us we can either feel sorry for ourselves are pick ourselves up and live the best life we possibly can. It's up to you.

By the way, no matter who the GOP candidate is, I predict Obama still gets re-elected pretty handily. Even with the economy still supttering he still got two advantages none of the GOP candidates have.

1 - Obama is the incumbent

2 - The news media continues to salivate all over Obama

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    June 20, 2011 11:31 p.m.

If you want to see some nice bigotry wrapped up in xenophobia with a side of racism, sign up for the GOP. As a former GOP supporter I still get emails that contain what I have mentioned. It's the same old same old, protect American for "real" Americans. The thing is, if you are LDS, you need to take a look back as I did and realize that any party where they dislike Muslims, Jews and ethnic minorities, they will dislike Mormons too. But so many LDS Republicans want so badly to be in a club where they think they are accepted.

Just wait till Bachman and Palin turn up the crazy in order to derail precious Mitty. They never let the facts stand in their way and it will be no different on how they exploit the religion card. I wait in eager anticipation as fellow LDS people I know will freak out in an attempt to contemplate how Palin and Bachman, who they love can hurt the poor Mitty. Heads will spin and ugly religious bigotry will come out.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 20, 2011 11:36 p.m.

You can blame the media all you want but is the Republican message that ain't selling. How many Republican candidates does it take to screw in a light bulb? Answer: they can't because no one wants the original Thomas Edison light bulb.
    Their message of don't tax or regulate the "job creating" top 2% is at least 100 years old and it is still bunk. The economy is the number one issue alright but the Republicans are fooling themselves to think they are on the higher ground. Our wealth is too concentrated. We need a robust consuming middle class for economic activity and we need to come up with plans to promote that. The argument that tax cuts to the rich pays for itself is so blatantly absurd that it is funny in a sick, morbid way.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2011 11:41 p.m.

Easy to say "it's religious". Maybe it's political. Who do we have as Mormon political role models? Who might we use as a gage for measuring Romney/Huntsman? Hmmmm. Let's see... oh yes!
    Harry Reid, whose name is synonymous with "Nancy Pelosi" on Fox News.
    Orrin Hatch, a target of The Tea Party, but not for religious reasons.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    June 20, 2011 11:49 p.m.

I travel a lot for work and interact with a lot of non-LDS in which we have very open religious conversations. Once they feel like they can be honest with me it is almost unanimous that they respect what we DO and find very strange what we BELIEVE. That is often the case even among the very religious. I'm just not sure how we are going to get around some of the things that are in black and white in our teachings, history and doctrine. Most people in this country know far more about our beliefs than is put out in our PR statements or on LDS.org. And many just have a hard time wrapping their heads around a potential President who actually embraces those beliefs.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 21, 2011 2:27 a.m.

JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt
    I disagree with you. I lived my professional life in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky and Mormons are respected and admired by the general public. Check out the story of the young Mormon kid elected as president of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Nashville. The sponsoring SBA removed him from office for being a non Christian. Read how he was supported overwhelmingly by his peers and the general public. The Mormons are respected throughout the South because of associations with Mormon neighbors. A Mormon candidate with a sensible platform will not be rejected because of religion but they will be rejected for being extremist on either side. I cannot speak for the upper 5% because I did not know any of them. They were in different circles.

• John Adams Miami, FL
    June 21, 2011 5:29 a.m.

The last time Mitt ran for president, a survey showed that many evangelicals were drawn to his values but repelled by his Mormon faith. Can anyone see the inconsistency in that statement? Isnt that like saying, I like apples, but I am repulsed by apple trees?

More times than I care to count, Ive read or heard how people really admire Mormons for their family values, yet their teachings are abhorrent. Mormons are held in high regard because of their work ethic, but the Prophet Joseph Smith was a scoundrel. Mormons are respected for their moral points of view on chastity, honesty, abstinence from alcohol, tobacco, and drugs, yet their doctrines are of the devil. Mormons are appreciated for their humanitarian contributions and the goods and services provided in the wake of natural catastrophes around the world; nevertheless, they arent considered Christians. Where has there ever been a greater contradiction of thought?

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    June 21, 2011 7:13 a.m.

The negative view of the LDS people is more of a commenatary of our nation than the LDS Church.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 7:21 a.m.

HB116, Prop 8 the LDS church has been active, and gotten noticed.
    Everyone probably knows I don't agree with the LDS church on many things, this is not news itself.
    I do want to point out that I have made some very good Mormon friends and their faith has never affected how I view them. The person, not the minoirty.

While I think the LDS church has done a good job on handling bad publicity and capatalizing on good, I think this reflects the Republican party more than the LDS church.

Being so devisive and 'your not conservative, enough' has led the Republican party to shrink. Becoming more elitist and having a 'RINO test' only seeks to EXCLUDE members, rather than invite them.

Again, my views on the Republican party are known. I do not support them. As, they do not support me.

Looking at this article and some of the Republican reactions to the two LDS canidates Romney and Hutnsman (I think Huntsman should run in 2016) though...

can you blame me?

• sfcretdennis Nice, CA
    June 21, 2011 7:39 a.m.

I see so bashing on Republicans, well I got news for everyone; both parties are wrong and corrupt. Each side has some good things but mostly both sides are corrupt. They take and take and take, they vote for what is best for them and not us. When they talk cuts they cut from areas that cannot afford the cuts, they never cut from themselves, they have the bet pay and benefits and they are talking about cutting form military pay and benefits and they do more good for this nation then the government and the government gets the best and dose the most harm. What we need is real, hardworking, honest people in our government and I just do not see it. You complain of Mitt's flip flop well what person in government don't flip flop on issue to suit their needs. I do not know if Mitt is right or not, I do know he has a good plan to fix our economy. Mitt is bad on immigration thou and that is not good, he wants to reward illegals for breaking our laws.

• friedeggonAZstreets Glendale, AZ
    June 21, 2011 7:42 a.m.

It will take a miracle to get a Mormon in the White House. There are still too many out there bent on distorting, misquoting or just not understanding what the church teaches. Just look at the message boards/comment sections of articles. People think we are crazy or dumb for believing what we do...this is from atheists and other Christian churches.

I don't know why they just do not run under the Independent Party if what JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt says is true (not sure if it is or not)? If the GOP can't agree on a person who will be a good one to run against Obama, then they are dooming our country to have 4 years with him.

As for Mitt flip-flopping (which has become such a ridiculous word), don't ALL politicians do this at one time or another for reasons only they and God really know?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    June 21, 2011 8:21 a.m.

"FDRfan | 2:27 a.m. June 21, 2011
    Sugar City, ID
    JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt
    I disagree with you. I lived my professional life in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky and Mormons are respected and admired by the general public. "

I am talking about the hard right, less educated, heavily evangelical movement that has taken over the Republican party, not every single person in the South. There are enough people to derail Mitt and you know it. These people will shake hands publicly with Mormons but pass on the same hate and bigotry they do to the current President by calling him Muslim and put his face on a monkey's body. They disparage Mormons in private and in their hearts. I will not go back to the GOP with this overtaking by the hard religious right, they are constantly trying to pass their version Christian of Sharia law on all people despite what the Constitution stands for. Mormons would be better served in an independent party than part of one that is constantly backhanding them while smiling to their face.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:40 a.m.

The prejudice against Mormons doesn't have that much to do with current events. It is a time-honored, long-ingrained bigotry that has existed for many years. That, thankfully, is changing. The more we get people in important places who prove themselves to be outstanding individuals the more it will change.

I think Mitt has an excellent chance. I promise you that Evangelicals are NOT going to support Obama in any significant numbers. I lived in the east for a long time and found that Mormons were mostly very respected. We all need to live our lives each day to make that perception become universal.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:54 a.m.

Only time will tell. We're just going to have to wait for the "Bible Belt" primaries to see if southern evangelicals are willing to vote for a Mormon.

I'm from the south and I can tell you that down there most view the LDS Church as a cult. A lot of these people vote with their faith and not their brain, so you'd better believe it will matter. Half of them STILL think Obama's a Muslim and no amount of information is going to change their minds.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    June 21, 2011 8:56 a.m.

"I think Mitt has an excellent chance. I promise you that Evangelicals are NOT going to support Obama in any significant numbers. "

Obama isn't running for the GOP nomination. Romney needs to get said Nomination to keep running. Said nomination hopes will die in the South just like last time. Just wait until the robocalls saying some ugly anti LDS things are said just like Mccain was submarined in South Carolina by an opponent. The call that said McCain had an illegitimate daughter with a "black woman". It will happen to Mitt, his opponents trail and will get more desperate. It didn't stop Huckabee who is measured in his responses, it definitely won't stop Bachmann or Plain who aren't.

• cymrul West Valley City, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:00 a.m.

What bothers me the most is that I see postings that would imply people in Utah and elsewhere would vote for Romney or Huntsman BECAUSE they are Mormon. NOT because they agree with their political views or political voting history. This is just as stupid as voting for someone because of their political party. Vote based on what they stand for, not where they go on Sunday or what letter is after their name, otherwise we will not see things getting any better.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    June 21, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Im not voting for Romney or Huntsman and as far as them being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has nothing to do with it. and thats all there is to that and as far as Romney goes he cant keep the same face on for more than a day because he flip flops more then Huntsman. these are just 2 people I will never agree with when it comes to politics. I have nothing but the upmost respect for the both of them. but we are worlds apart in the political arena

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:08 a.m.

I think Wasatch Front Latter-day Saints are a wee bit delusional in the sense that they have no clue how those outside the state view LDS. Allow me to explain: If you want to think that views on Mormonism are really improving, you'll have to compare the current American views of Mormonism with those of the 1800's. There are no mobs, and polygamy isn't front page news. Get it?

Latter-day Saints are viewed as politically whacky (Skousen-Beck) and religiously cultish. Many Evangelicals will NOT vote for a Mormon. Moderates don't trust them.

You can all pack it in on the Romney and Huntsman campaigns... The only reason they are looked at this year is because the field is so weak.

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    June 21, 2011 9:11 a.m.

Members of the LDS church (Yes I am an active member) need to suck it up and quit whining and quit using the church as an excuse when a member is not elected to a political office. Huntsman wouldn't win this election no matter what church he belonged to. I think the same thing about Romney. Its not a mormon issue for either one of them. When, if ever, are members of the church going to put the past aside (all the early saints are dead now) and move on and stop feeling like a bunch of victims that everybody is out to get!

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:51 a.m.

I really want Romney to win the election, but I'll be much more pleased if he continues to live a good and moral life, even if he loses. I think he would do wonders for helping the economy. Go Mitt! Win or lose, I like you. If people look down on me because I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, that's their problem. I certainly have no problem with people or other faiths and respect many of them.

• raybies Layton, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:54 a.m.

I don't know many religions these days that are popular with all the masses. And if it were the LDS church, I'd be concerned.

Romney's success will not be because he gets a super-boost from his religion--it will be due to his appeal as a politician and what he offers to the country. In a way this is probably the BEST way a politician can win--based upon ideas, rather than on some inborn group they belong to that entitles them to success...

To that I say, Good luck to all the Mormons in politics, may you all have great ideas, inspiration, remain scandal free, and keep true to your faith...

There's no religious conflict between mormonism and the truth, but sometimes there is a conflict between the truth and popularity.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    June 21, 2011 10:24 a.m.

But being a Mormon is ok for the democrats with Harry Ried?

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    June 21, 2011 10:27 a.m.

This is another unreliable poll by Dan Jones. I saw an article last week that showed the opposite, that before the last election only about 40% said they would likely vote for a Mormon, however now 60% would likely vote for and LDS candidate. So who is correct, recent results would say you can't trust Dan Jones.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    June 21, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Though a Latter Day Saint, I didn't support Mitt Romney last time. I support him this time - because he appears to be the best available candidate.

Conservatives in this country are going to vote for the GOP nominee regardless of religion. For example, I would have supported Huckabee last time despite the fact that he is obviously an anti-Mormon bigot.

Membership in the LDS Church is not going to cost a GOP nominee the White House. Many of those who would never vote for a Mormon are among those who would also never vote for a Republican. That is especially true post-Measure 8.

Between now and next July, expect evangelicals to look for one of THEIR own if they think they can make it to the convention.

And look for the press to regularly do their level best to point out LDS teachings which they think will turn off the public. They're already doing so with malice aforethought.

They will be doing that even more if either Romney or Huntsman is the nominee.

Rest assured, should one of them be elected, that energy against the Church will only increase....especially if POTUS ever attends a temple.

• Stalwart Sentinel San Jose, CA
    June 21, 2011 11:20 a.m.

We Mormons have no place in the Republican party. They don't want us and their principles are counter to our faith. No amount of marketing or goodwill on our part will change that. More of my brothers and sisters need to settle in where we truly belong: liberal Democrats.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 21, 2011 11:31 a.m.

I will probably vote for Romney or Huntsman or Reid even if they are not on the ballot. I will write in their name. Why? I have absolutely no confidence in the arm of flesh. These times are too dangerous and I'm looking out for my grandchildren. Now either of these candidates may be so indoctrinated in their political ideology that they ignore God's influence. But I will probably take my chances and hope for the best. In the meantime I will not hesitate to sound off when I feel I have something to say. Even a donkey feels the need to bray sometimes.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    June 21, 2011 12:38 p.m.

To "Stalwart Sentinel | 11:20 a.m." actually, faithful members have no place in the Democrat party. Their big government programs and liberalism go against the teachings of prophets.

President Benson taught "idleness has no place, and greed, selfishness, and covetousness are condemned." (A Vision and a Hope for the Youth of Zion, BYU Devotional 1979) All of which are promoted by the Democrat party through class warfare, social welfare programs, and big government.

Elder John Widstow, once said "The self-called liberal [in the Church] is usually one who has broken with the fundamental principles or guiding philosophy of the group to which he belongs." (Evidences and Reconciliations, Improvement Era, vol. 44 [1941], p. 609.)

Neil Maxwell once said "You will also see that the living of one protective principle of the gospel is better than a thousand compensatory governmental programswhich programs are, so often, like straightening deck chairs on the Titanic. " Ensign/Liahona November 1979

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Stalwart Sentinel | 11:20 a.m.,

I completely agree with you. I will never understand LDS support for the Republican party...

when it is self-evident that the Republican party has a problem with someone being LDS.

• Gr8Dane Tremonton, UT
    June 21, 2011 2:22 p.m.

This Poll by the Deseret News has little relevance to the Real World.! The poll that really counts is of all other Americans; other than predominantly LDS demographic. Utah mormons (me included) tend to get all wrapped around the axle over every little blip in the mormon PR blogosphere.... Only later to realize that there are a whole lot of Americans who still know very little or even nothing about Mormons or LDS Church. I dismiss this poll out of hand. It has no credibility to reality.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 2:31 p.m.

"We're just going to have to wait for the "Bible Belt" primaries to see if southern evangelicals are willing to vote for a Mormon."

That would be hard to gauge. For instance, in 08 were southerners voting for Huckabee over Romney because of religion or because they're social conservatives and Huckabee (well... anyone in the republican field other than giuliani or paul) has a stronger record on that than Romney?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 2:33 p.m.

"Romney needs to get said Nomination to keep running. Said nomination hopes will die in the South just like last time"

I disagree. Romney doesn't need to win a single red state to get the nomination. He needs to get the Obama states. What buried him last time was that he lost too many blue state primaries to McCain.

• Stalwart Sentinel San Jose, CA
    June 21, 2011 5:46 p.m.

Pagan Many thanks, much appreciated.

Redshirt1701 Liberals promote big gov't? Explain current conservative state legislatures on voting and abortion. Or tax breaks and subsidies. FYI - that is gov't regulation.

Re: Benson - You unintentionally contradicted your point. If greed, selfishness, and covetousness are condemned, social welfare programs serve to mitigate said condemnations. Also, democrats don't promote class warfare, we think everyone should play fair. Why are republicans so afraid of competing? Finally, idleness is your problem, not ours. Liberal states make more money, work longer hours, pay more in federal taxes, are less obese, own more small businesses, among many other indicators, when compared to conservative counterparts.

Re: Widstow - Consult a dictionary. He is referring to liberalism in religion ie reformation of religious principles. He later clarifies "[i]t is folly to speak of a liberal religion, if that religion claims that it rests upon unchanging truth."

Re: Maxwell He is correct, willingness to live by a certain standard is always the best option. Hence the purely socialistic Law of Consecration.

Regardless, those quotes are from men. Our Church teaches principles that are pro-choice, pro-environment, pro-civil liberties, and pro-democratic. All things republicans oppose tooth and nail.

• Maryquilter Farmington, UT
    June 21, 2011 5:54 p.m.

@John Adams: Right on! The New Testament says 'ye shall know them by their fruits'. It says evil people cannot bring forth positive fruits of the Spirit because that means you have a house divided against itself. If you see an honest politician ( I know, oxymoron) who has values you admire and stands for the same ideals you hold dear, then leave the darn religion or race card out of the equation and simply vote for that person whether they are Jew, Muslim, Catholic, or Protestant, white, black or green. Is that asking so much?