Utah

Thousands celebrate diversity, individuality at Utah Pride Festival

Comments

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2011 3:44 p.m.

No question about it, it's the brightest, funniest, and most enthusiastic parade of the year. So happy we can have this in our state.

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    June 5, 2011 4:04 p.m.

It's an interesting dichotomy between those who believe Sunday is a 'Holiday' verses those who believe it's a 'Holy Day'.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

We are all in the pursuit of happiness (or pleasure which are not the same thing) in some form or another. I believe there is a Plan of Happiness provided to us by a loving Heavenly Father. Within this plan, there are rules. These rules must be followed strictly due to the laws that govern the universe. Those that are broken will be followed by various degrees of consequences whether they be right or wrong. These consequences may be immediate or may develop over the longterm, but they will happen without a doubt.

We all have our own choices to make and I will not judge others for their choices. "For they are free to choose..."

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    June 5, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Nice to hear from the vocal minority again.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2011 5:18 p.m.

I went there!

So much fun! Kids, grannies, all flavors of people were there. And it was fantastic to see people, on a nice day like this, just being happy that we exist.

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 5, 2011 5:57 p.m.

A fun event on a beautiful day. Very nice.

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    June 5, 2011 6:45 p.m.

We who respect each other, serve the Lord.
    We who disparate hate, serve the Lord.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2011 6:47 p.m.

'Interesting that an article on the cause of aids comes out on the same day?' - KM | 4:04 p.m. June 5, 2011

Actually, the article is about the progress and hopeful cure for AIDS. But, I'm sure your just trying to paint homosexuals carriers by association.

Also, I would think EVERYONE would want a cure for AIDS, as it factually affects everyone.

My example?

Ryan White
    Brryan Jackson
    Magic Johnson, etc, etc.

And last, AIDS was discovered in 1981. If your trying to say that gays have a direct relation to AIDS, how do you explain homosexuals over 30 years old?

I'm 33. :)

'Within this plan, there are rules.' - jasonlivy | 4:04 p.m.

Polygamy, legal until 1890.
    Interacial marriage, denied until 1967.
    Gay marriage, allowed 1st in MA in 2004.

So easy to forget Amendment 3, Utah, 2004. A change from 'two people' in marriage in Utah's state constituion, to 'one man and one woman.'

• md Smithfield, UT
    June 5, 2011 7:23 p.m.

Pride. Well named.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    June 5, 2011 7:24 p.m.

jason, "These rules must be followed strictly due to the laws that govern the universe." What? Gravity, second law of thermodynamics,..and this has what to do with sexual orientation?

Actually, you are a wonderful example of why I don't believe anymore. To look across the vastness of the universe and think that it's about humans is beyond silly.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    June 5, 2011 7:30 p.m.

Interesting that the Church-owned newspaper sends a reporter to tell us about all the fun we could have had on the Sabbath celebrating our sexual diversity, except that we were in the chapels we were counseled to fill. There we were instructed to keep the day holy and keep our thoughts and actions pure.

Are we trying to have it both ways? Making friends with Babylon, while smacking the saints over their heads for not staying on the "straight and narrow path"?

Let's be honest, this same crowd that used to march around Temple Square can't stand you. And no matter how much you try to be their friend, until you give gays the priesthood and allow gay marriages in the temple, you'll never be their friend.

• isrred Logan, UT
    June 5, 2011 7:38 p.m.

"For the Church-owned Deseret News to send a reporter to cover Utah Pride doesn't show much wisdom. Just the opposite.
    Recommend"

Yeah, shame on a NEWSpaper for covering the largest parade in the state. How dare a NEWSpaper report news!

• Gandalf Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2011 7:53 p.m.

Maple Don, Just because the DNews is owned by the LDS Church doesn't mean that it shouldn't cover this event. It was of great significance in terms of number of people involved (both in the parade and watching) and as a reflection of an important aspect of both Salt Lake and the State of Utah. I was there and it was a lot of fun! I slipped it in between attending my stake High Council meeting and my sacrament meeting.

As part of an LDS culture, we need to become more respectful and aware of the struggles of our LGBT brothers and sisters, both inside and outside the Church, to obtain the basic civil rights they are entitled to. It's not my job to judge others based on what they do in their bedrooms.

I'm about as straight as they come but there are many wonderful people in the LGBT community who I love and who are living more Christian lives from what I can tell than some of my recommend holding LDS friends. And that's OK. We're all at different places in the process.

We need to knock off the judging.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    June 5, 2011 9:22 p.m.

Gandalf, I'm still laughing. Yeah, right. Sure.

High Council meetings aren't held on Fast Sundays.

Honesty eludes you.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2011 9:35 p.m.

Respect goes both ways.
    "pragmatistferlife | 7:24 p.m. June 5, 2011" Although I am not the first to do so, I look at the cosmos and celebrate the glory of God.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    June 5, 2011 9:51 p.m.

We all need to have pride in something, and I'm proud that our little town has reached the big time enough to have a legit pride parade. Things get better and all that jazz. Too bad we couldn't have a pride parade for a Utah Jazz championship.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 5, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Roseanne Barr gave one of the Top 10 Worst National-Anthem renditions of all time and then made a crude gesture. hard to take anyone like that seriously. Why would anyone want her to lead their parade?

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2011 9:57 p.m.

@Gandalf

"many wonderful people in the LGBT community...are living more Christian lives from what I can tell than some of my recommend holding LDS friends."

And exactly how would you know that without judging your "recommend holding LDS friends"?

"We need to knock off the judging."

No kidding.

• guswetrust Cebterville, Utah
    June 5, 2011 10:01 p.m.

Way to go Gandalf. As a Mormon, my thoughts exactly. Celebrate differences and the knowledge it brings! Enjoy other's beliefs and ways and love them for who they are. So they are different. Embrace them anyway.

• George Bronx, NY
    June 5, 2011 10:11 p.m.

thank you Gandaff and guswetrust, your words are very kind and I appreciate your understanding that there is plenty of room in the world for people of all stripes. A little more mutual respect and dare I say love would go a long way in healing the hurt feelings on both sides in our community.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    June 5, 2011 10:59 p.m.

Last time I checked pride was still a sin.

I have often wondered why people take pride (or satisfaction) in things they can do nothing about. I am of European extraction. I am a white guy. I am not proud of my "whiteness" I am just white.

If a persons sexual orientation cannot be changed, why take pride in it?

Why not take pride (or satisfaction) in accomplishment?
    Self esteem comes from accomplishment and accomplishment comes from hard work.

To me it is laughable to take pride in something I can do nothing to effect.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    June 5, 2011 11:37 p.m.

1. Responding to comments on Aids - The great majority of Aids cases could have been avoided if not for homosexual activity, heterosexual promiscuity and IV drug use. Thank goodness for this nation which has worked hard to alleviate this dreadful disease throughout the world. May God bless any who are so afflicted.

2. Judging - Correct we should not judge another's worthiness before God, we are however expected to judge right and wrong and stand for what is right in society. No need to criticize another but that is different from standing for what is right.

3. Marriage is defined as the union of a man and a woman as husband and wife.
    Wife is defined as a woman married to a man. Husband is defined as a man married to a woman. Therefore there cannot be homosexual marriage. Don't try to change the definition to something that never has been, is not, and never will be despite what courts or people make legal. Let the time tested definition stand and you will find much less opposition.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    June 5, 2011 11:42 p.m.

MapleDon: FYI, high council meeting schedules vary stake to stake. Many meet on Fast Sunday. Don't be so quick to accuse without the facts.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2011 11:44 p.m.

"I have often wondered why people take pride (or satisfaction) in things they can do nothing about"

Oppressed groups tend to need a pick-me-up which comes through a celebration of who they are. Actually... in a way it's kinda like Pioneer Day.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    June 6, 2011 12:26 a.m.

As a Mormon I can say with complete certainty that I do not hate those in the LGBT community. A Salt Lake City police officer friend recently informed me that SLC has the highest homosexual population, per capita, second only to San Francisco, of any U.S. city. If the LGBT population had not found SLC to be a friendly, livable place, then it seems to me we would not have seen such an influx as we have over the past decade and a half. I believe that acceptance is demonstrated by today's parade. However, just as the LGBT community does not care to embrace my diverse and unique LDS beliefs, I also don't care to embrace theirs. Yet we can still be good neighbors and respect each other's humanity. Today's parade proves this, in my opinion.

• GB4 Logan, Utah
    June 6, 2011 2:06 a.m.

People complain about Pride. They say straight people dont have parades and festivals to celebrate their own sexual orientation. Let me ask you something if you are straight. Every time you go out in public, do you have to question who it is okay to start liking, or weather or not you can ask someone out on a date? Do you have to question if someone is the same sexual orientation as you? During our 3 day festival, it is the one time a year where you can dress however you want to dress, act however you want to act, and finally let loose and completely be yourself. Nobody will give you a second glance, or make fun of you. It is the one time of the year where everyone else is just like you. You dont have to wonder if you are going to be made fun of, or laughed at for being different. It is the one time of the year where being different is normal. And its amazing.

• goitalone w bountiful, ut
    June 6, 2011 8:15 a.m.

Nice try Gandalf, but you might have slipped it in between a sacrament meeting and whatever else, but you weren't in a High Council meeting. I be;lieve you are a troll trying to legitimize beliefs with facts you can't support.

• goitalone w bountiful, ut
    June 6, 2011 8:22 a.m.

If this event is so much fun and is legitimate and represents Utah, then why the change in name? Why can't it just be called what it is, Gay Pride Festival? Why the covert legitimization by attaching a name which suggests that Utah is unique in supporting the LBGT agenda?

People are people. Accept them for who they are. I see no reason to cloak what has always been a gay pride festival in a more politically correct name. Utah can be proud of a lot of things, but this festival is, and always has been a celebration of LBGT lifestyle. Is there something to hide here? If we are proud of the lifestyle, then just call it what it is.

• Sheryl HEBER CITY, UT
    June 6, 2011 8:43 a.m.

I would never attend or especially bring my children to such a sad display of what our fine city has become. There's nothing to be proud about here. I'm sad our Mayor would attend this either. We need to get back to our roots and true pride. This is not where we should be heading.

• toshi1066 OGDEN, UT
    June 6, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Oh dear, God is having a wonderful laugh at all this bickering. Personally, I think we celebrate God and his love far better by having a good time and enjoying the day with friends and loved ones instead of staying home or sanctimoniously going to church when your mind is really on the up coming football game.

Didn't Jesus once tie into "those who would loudly cry their love of God to Heaven, but continue to treat others as garbage"?

Hypocrisy: They taught the law but did not practise some of the most important parts of the law - justice, mercy, faithfulness to God. They obeyed the minutiae of the law such as titheing spices but not the real meat of the law. (Mat. 23:23-24)

• Gandalf Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 9:30 a.m.

MapleDon you are simply wrong, both about High Council meetings in general and my activities yesterday specifically. For you and goitalone, unfounded accusations of lying are inconsistent with a commitment to engage in civil discourse.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Honest question to be answered by the gay community.

Honestly...I wanna know. Peace and love to all.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    June 6, 2011 9:34 a.m.

@mapledon Psst. Gay men do have the priesthood.

• Clifton Palmer McLendon Gilmer, Texas
    June 6, 2011 9:37 a.m.

What place does a story glorifying sexual perversion have in the Church News?

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    June 6, 2011 9:37 a.m.

The more we lower standards of acceptable behaviour in the name of tolerance, the more sub-standard behaviour we will have; the more extreme and perverse it will become; the more problems it will cause; and the more destructive it will be. Those are the facts. Even if some people are too delusional to see it.....

• ST Layton, UT
    June 6, 2011 9:38 a.m.

I think it is funny that people say "don't judge" yet everyone has to make thousands of decisions /Judgments everyday- it is called life.

If you DO dress and act like a freak and geek (direct quote from the story) then people are going to treat you accordingly- especially when you have a big parade every year to show your real self to the world.

• Robert Johnson Sunland, CA
    June 6, 2011 9:44 a.m.

Reading the pious comments from several of the posters here remind me so much of the hypocrites that Jesus spoke out, who like to proclaim their "righteousness" to the world, when the truly righteous are much more humble.

It also reminds me of "Harper Valley PTA".....usually the people who feel the need to tell everyone who righteous they are, are just a little Peyton place and all Harper Valley hypocrites.

• Tami Herriman, UT
    June 6, 2011 10:05 a.m.

To all who call for less judging, that is all fine and good to say. However, in the past 5 years, I have seen the LGBT movement shoved at me to accept as normal, their agenda is being put forth as normal and acceptable and I do not believe it to be so. Sorry if I feel that sinners should be quiet and repentant of their sins, not prideful of them.
    Nice to know Mayor Peter Caroon was in on this, I'll remember that come his next election. I feel we need leaders who reflect the community's values.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2011 10:05 a.m.

@Clifton Palmer McLendon

The Deseret News is, in fact, a NEWSpaper that we in the Salt Lake area read for NEWS in our community and our state. Like it or not, this was an event that happend in our commuity that was NEWSworthy. If you don't want the local Salt Lake news, perhaps you should stick to the Mormon Times and your local newspaper in the community where you live.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    June 6, 2011 10:10 a.m.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2011 10:27 a.m.

The last time I checked, not ONE person was forced to attend this parade. I didn't see anyone in army uniforms rounding people up at gunpoint to force them to watch or participate. If you chose not to attend, then great. If you did choose to attend, then that is fine as well. It is a free country and how you chose to spend your Sunday is your business. No one cares if you went to church, went camping with your kids, watched NASCAR, golfed, went to a parade, went to Wendover to play the slots, or anything else. For those of you who get puffed up because you are are seemingly better than everyone else, just remember that this is still the USofA and everyone is free to spend their time as they choose without having to justify it to you or anyone else.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 6, 2011 10:28 a.m.

Teafortwo | 9:37 a.m. June 6, 2011

I hope you're referring to the substand behavior of discrimination and bigotry. These behaviors are both destructive and the cause of many of the problems we face as a society; even if some people are too delusional to see it.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    June 6, 2011 10:36 a.m.

RanchHand - You need not be a bigot to understand that certain types of behaviour are good for society and certain types of behaviour are bad for society. Those that are good have become the traditional standard. The more we digress from those standards, the more problems we have. Do a little research. You will discover that people who live in traditonal families and traditional relationships and come from traditional backgrounds do better in every way and have fewer problems, overall, than people who live in non-tradtional settings. That is not opinion. It is fact and it has nothing to do with bigotry, hatred or discrimination. Even if you don't want to believe it.....

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2011 11:01 a.m.

@bigsoccer

"It is said that in the last days that Salt Lake City, will be considered one of the most wicked places in the world, at least in the United States. And it will be one of the first cities to burn."

It is said by whom?

• Belching Cow Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2011 11:09 a.m.

There was a parade last weekend?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    June 6, 2011 11:20 a.m.

Perversion on parade. Delightful.

• Robert Johnson Sunland, CA
    June 6, 2011 11:43 a.m.

To "The rock" white-guy from Federal Washington:

You ask why people need to take "pride" in who they are....since you don't take pride in being white or in being a man...because they are things that you cannot change.

The main reason is that you are not told by a large segment of the population that you are inferior to a man (as many women are told), that are inferior because of the color of your skin or that you are perverted and disgusting because of your sexual orientation. Gay Pride exists as a way to say to people around the world that are made to feel inferior or different or worse, ostracized to the point of suicide....that hey....its ok....you are not alone and that the bigots of the world should not be allowed to destroy your spirit.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 6, 2011 11:49 a.m.

@Teafortwo;

Do some of your own research. It is proven fact that non-traditional couples are as beneficial a family as traditional couples. I am doing far and away better than my heterosexual siblings; as are many of the GLBT couples that I know. Children raised in GLBT families are every bit as well off and well rounded as children raised in hetero/traditional families. Fact.

This has everything to do with discrimination and bigotry even though you may deny it.

• Free Agency Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:08 p.m.

It's great that Salt Lake has a solidly accepted Gay Pride Parade.

But for those who aren't gay, it's important to remember that no group can be the face of individuals. What you're looking at is simply one subset of gay life acting out their own particular personae. It does *not* represent everyone who's gay.

We're all around you, and often unrecognizable. I, myself, have a much more "Mormon" style and values--though I'm not a Mormon. It's simply who I am as a person. I like the soft-spoken and non-substance-using life. And no, I'm not "unliberated." I'm totally liberated, from both "straight" and "gay."

So again, when you're looking at Pride Parades--whether delightedly or with dismay--remember, it doesn't show who gays "are." It only shows who a certain group of gays are.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    June 6, 2011 12:16 p.m.

Remember cream of the crop LDS Folks.......... If everything you say is true, you will have it made in "Heaven". The folks at the Parade who you are criticizing, won't be your neighbors in the "next life". You have pretty much narrowed down who is going to get in there. It will only be you and your like minded buddies.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    June 6, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Ranch Hand - You sound like the same people who have been telling us for the last 45 years that unwed parenthood is NOT a problem. Well, it is a problem. A huge problem. Here a few little nuggets to chew on: 70% of prison inmates were born to unwed parents; 80% of welfare payments go to families headed by unwed mothers; black males raised by unwed mothers are more likely to die violently or end up in prison before the age of 25 than they are to graduate from college. The fact is that traditional families work better than non-traditional families. Which explains why traditional familes are the same in virtually all societies, civilizations and cultures.....

• More of the typical SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:32 p.m.

I don't even know where to start. First, @Jasonlivy, Mormons, despite common belief, do not hold the monopoly on happiness. I know that many of you may feel, and have certainly testified to others, that the only way to be truly happy is through, essentially, being Mormon. It's all relative my friends. If true happiness was such a guarantee in Utah, we wouldn't have the highest anti-depressant usage here, now would we?

"It's been said that SLC will be one of the most wicked cities, first to burn, blah blah blah." Really? Said by whom? Brigham Young? Or maybe one of the many from that (and subsequent) era that also said things like blacks will forever be subservient, and never have the priesthood? Common. Stop taking everything the brethren say as scripture. IT ISN'T.
    Lastly, being angered or bothered by support for "wickedness" is relative. YOU may believe that homosexuality is wickedness, and a grievous sin, but many people don't share that belief, because they believe something else. Have a little respect for the fact that other people may have different sets of beliefs, but can still be as "good" as you.

• cymrul West Valley City, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:37 p.m.

@ teafortwo all of your statistics showed the results of SINGLE parent families, you have NOTHING that shows similar statistics comparing a heterosexual couple and the results of their child rearing to those of gay couples raising children or even the children raised in plural marriage households. To me you would need those to support your "traditional" family argument.

• cymrul West Valley City, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:43 p.m.

I look at it this way. We have the first weekend in June to celebrate our diversity and individuality and who we are, the rest of you get the 24th of July to proclaim your conformity and lack of individuality and who you aren't. But after that parade I promise that I will not post mean spirited comments filled with tired biblical quotes, the falling sky, the end of society as we know it, and innumerable homosexual men suddenly changing their minds and becomming straight, thereby destroying countless gay relationships across the Wasatch Front.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Teafortwo | 12:17 p.m. June 6, 2011

"The fact is that traditional families work better than non-traditional families. Which explains why traditional familes are the same in virtually all societies, civilizations and cultures..... "

---
    Umm, not really. Polygamy is fairly traditional in many parts of the world. There are families in South America were it is NORMAL that a woman have sex with multiple men, other than her husband, in order to provide a second "father" to a child - it is EXPECTED.

Your "version" of traditional, isn't quite.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:57 p.m.

While there should be no discrimination against those who choose a different lifestyle it is a fact that the LGBT lifestyle is abnormal, LGBT is defined as such by statistics. It is not discriminatory to hold to time tested societal standards like marriage.

Hipocrisy has been mentioned, the LGBT community needs to have tolerance for those who do not support LGBT lifestyle. Discrimination against those who supported prop 8 in California is only one example of such hispocrisy.

I am also interested to see answers to USAlovers questions - Do most gay people cringe when they see the "drag", "queer" and "cross-dressing crowd wearing thongs"? Are half-naked people parading through downtown the best ambassadors for your movement or do they reinforce stereotypes that are harmful?

I would also ask -
    If I accept the gay and lesbian lifestyle as "you were born that way" then how do you explain bisexual behavior? It seems like it is nothing more than an uncontrolled, wreckless and perverse lifestyle to satisfy carnal desire whatever way possible.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    June 6, 2011 1:04 p.m.

cymrul - You are living in a fantasy world of confusion, delusion and ignorance....Contrary to what you may choose to believe, children need parents. And there are no parents who will care more for children than the biological parents who created them. It is obvious that you find the whole concept of traditional marriage and traditional families to be hoplessely old-fashioned, but that is only because you don't know what you are talking about.

• Mr. John SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 6, 2011 1:50 p.m.

@teafortwo and rocket scientist

As has been pointed out to both of you on far more then on occasion the research actually does not support your position. I suggest you take your own advice and do some research if you actually want to know the truth which I doubt you do or you would have already done so. coming on and making the same false claims every time there is an article about the gay community is doing nothing to help your cause. For that want to no the truth it is simple enough just google the American Psychological Association, the American Pedantic Society and/or the Nation Association of Social Workers they all have research available that directly contradicts these two/s baseless claims.

• UtahDemocrat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 1:55 p.m.

@Rocket Science and USAlovers- Unlike a heirarchical system where leaders are elected, chosen, appointed, or "called," the LGBT community is a natural collection of people from all walks of life with only one thing in common: They all are, or know and love someone who is, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. From conservative to liberal, from rich to impoverished, from lily white to ebony and everything in between, the only thing that unites us is that society raised us with an expectation we would be straight, and we declared our independence from social labels. The people who talked to the media weren't the duly appointed gay presidents. They 1- were doing something that caught the attention of the reporter and 2- were willing to talk.

Only the most naive media consumer would hear Senator Buttars' racist rants or Glen Beck's conspiracy theories and conclude all LDS faithful are of the same mind. Yet because the media highlighted a woman with a beard or a man in a speedo, some conclude that the community picked these spokespeople. Not so. We have declared independence. We can each speak for ourselves. And we will not be silenced by calls to conform.

• glendenbg Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 1:58 p.m.

"Honest question to be answered by the gay community.

Do most gay people cringe when they see the "drag", "queer" and "cross-dressing crowd wearing thongs"? Are half-naked people parading through downtown the best ambassadors for your movement or do they reinforce stereotypes that are harmful?"

Although Honest question to be answered by the gay community.

I would ask - do you look at the people at Carnival in Brazil - in costume, partying in the streets - and think all Brazilians or all Catholics dress and act like that? Do you look at Mardi Gras pictures and think everyone in New Orleans is always in the streets partying it up, wearing strands of plastic beads? If not, why would you look at pictures of the Pride parade and think that's how people dress and act all the time?

• Mr. John SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 6, 2011 1:58 p.m.

@USAlovers

Despite popular belief among the far right the LGBT community is made up of many people all with their own thoughts and feelings on such subjects and with enough wisdom from past experience to not make comments that will be taken out of context and used as a tool to try to disparage individuals or the community (I have no doubt many in the LDS community feel the same way about their religion). Unfortunately many of us have grown suspicious that any such question is sincere especially on a public forum such as this. If you are sincere (since I cannot see whats in your heart) I would say talk to a LGBT person you know and ask them their individual opinion off line.

• cymrul West Valley City, UT
    June 6, 2011 2:24 p.m.

@teafortwo 1:04. You read a lot into my comment that I never wrote. For example: I never said that children DON'T need parents, I only said that your data showed only SINGLE parent families not PARENTS (plural) where is your data comparing "non" traditional families to "traditional"? also, I would think that your idiotic comment "And there are no parents who will care more for children than the biological parents who created them." will be offensive to many parents who have adopted children for whatever reason. And lastly, you seem to feel that you know me quite well, which prooves only that YOU are confused, delusional and ignorant. I only pointed out the flaws in your information, and you respond by attacking me on a personal level. I have NO problem with the "old fashioned" idea of the traditional family, but I also understand that the misguided concepts you and your kind cling to tend to harm society more than the gay community ever could.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Ah. The 'time tested' tradition of marriage.

Polygamy, 1890.

Interacial marriage, denied until supreme court ruling in 1967.

Gay marriage, 1st legal in MA in 2004.

So easy to forget about Utah's constitutional Amendment 3, passed also in 2004. Factually changing marriage from 'two people' to 'one man and one woman.'

Those 'thousands of years of marriage?'

It's really seven.

Claiming a historical presidence as the reason to deny LGBT rights is disengenious and factually false on it's face.

Also, Octo-mom.

14 kids.

No husband.

LGBT rights are comming, mainly due to the fact that those against have no solid arguments that can stand against it.

• MBSalt Lake Salt Lake City, ut
    June 6, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Calling gays intolerant because we won't let you get away with intolerance is getting really old and is extremely disingenuous. While it is a brilliant strategy, turning the victim into the perpetrator, no person is obligated to be tolerant of the people who HATE them.

I've just never understood how people could believe that destroying my family will strengthen theirs. Gays aren't telling you that you have to change anything, we just want the same rights and acknowledgement of our humanity and dignity. It's appalling that the concept is so difficult for people to understand.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    June 6, 2011 4:44 p.m.

To all those leaving negative comments, go ahead, we don't care what you think, and your arguements are getting really old. I love the folks who have said "well we don't celebrate straight pride." Guess what, every day is straight pride. We have Mother's Day, Father's Day, Bosses Day, Veteran's Day, etc., heaven forbid the gays get a day. Happy Pride everyone!

• TheWalker Saratoga Springs, UT
    June 6, 2011 7:49 p.m.

From 'The Family: A Proclamation to the World'

"We ... declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets."

Just a reminder, people, on where we, as Latter Day Saints, should stand.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    June 6, 2011 10:46 p.m.

I will remember what Peter Corroon supports during the next election.

The Pope speaks as loudly as The Prophet on the importance of marriage between one man and one woman.

• geo2 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 7, 2011 12:42 a.m.

Interesting that the Deseret News would cover this news story and then totally ignore Pioneer Theatre Company's production of RENT.

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    June 7, 2011 6:43 a.m.

We as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hold sacred a belief that traditional families are the bedrock of society. We do not claim that we are even close to being perfect. We strive, or should be striving, to 'Love the Lord thy God with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength and to love our neighbor as ourself.'

We also believe that God created man in his own image and because of this divine creation, we are subject to His laws and commandments. This is were we put our faith and trust. These laws include that marriage is only between a man and woman. These laws are not debatable nor negotiable.

We believe in the eternal family and that those who build their lives on this sure foundation is what Christ described as building your house upon a rock, that when the winds and rains come and beat upon the house, it remains. But when these laws are broken it's like building your house upon the sand and when the winds and rain come, the house falls and is destroyed.

He that has ears to hear, let him hear

• Vince here San Diego, CA
    June 7, 2011 9:29 a.m.

The Rock

Re: Pride

I don't believe people that use the term 'pride' as in "gay pride" mean it in the same context as say, for example, scripture-based pride, lacking humility, etc.

Pride in the context of gay pride means not to be ashamed in the context of not being closeted, not being allowed to be ridiculed for who you are - that kind of pride.

Other groups and events use the word "pride" and it does not have a negative connotation. School pride - for example, but you don't accuse them of being sinful for having school pride.

TeaforTwo

What would people have said about lowering standards when marriage between races was a taboo? In fact, people did see it as "lowering of standards" when, in fact, it was just just intolerance.

• Robert Johnson Sunland, CA
    June 7, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Jason Livy.....what you fail to recognize that it wasn't that long ago that members of the LDS church believed that marriage was between a man and a woman and a woman and a woman and a woman and a woman and a woman and a woman and a woman.

So forgive me if I don't give your statement much credibility when you write "These laws are not debatable nor negotiable".

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 7, 2011 10:13 a.m.

'Just a reminder, people, on where we, as Latter Day Saints, should stand.' - TheWalker | 7:49 p.m. June 6, 2011

*'In doing so, recognize that marriage is not an all-purpose solution. Same-gender attractions run deep, and trying to force a heterosexual relationship is not likely to change them. We are all thrilled when some who struggle with these feelings are able to marry, raise children, and achieve family happiness. But other attempts have resulted in broken hearts and broken homes.' - Title: Helping Those Who Struggle with Same-Gender Attraction,

- Author Elder Jeffrey R. Holland - Oct 2007
    Source? LDS website.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 7, 2011 8:25 p.m.

I'm not a homophobe, but I just don't get PRIDE.

First of all, I know for a fact, if I had been anywhere near downtown when this was going on, looking like the Mormon I am I would have been seriously heckled or worse. Pretend to be open mided all you want, but we both know that isn't always the truth when push comes to shove.

Secondly, all this parade seems to do is exaggerate and give more credibility to the very sterotypes that gay people are always up in arms about.

Thirdly, by emphasizing your differences in such a bold brash display, doesn't that further emphasize the divide between gay and straight?

Fourthly, if it were a straight pride festival, there would be an uproar from the gay community in a hot second....

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    June 8, 2011 12:29 a.m.

TO: Robert Johnson

There was a need for polygamy in the early history of the church. The need is no longer there. We have been commanded that marriage is between a man and a woman. That's it.

The fact is I don't know the reasons. There are many things I don't understand. We all have to put our faith and trust in something. I have chosen to follow the gospel of Jesus Christ. I've put this to the test many times in my life, and through my experiences believe that it is the best thing for me and my family.

As someone who holds Christ sacred, I believe that the scriptures are true. This is where the Lord has taught us how to be happy. The primary way for us to find happiness is through family which consists of a man, a woman, and children reared in righteousness. This brings peace to my soul.

I believe there are laws and rules to morality. Morality is one of God's fundamental laws. As we neglect these laws and count them as foolish, we will suffer significant societal consequences...

• cymrul West Valley City, UT
    June 8, 2011 8:53 a.m.

@jasonlivy What does Christ say in the scriptures about homosexuality? Nothing. What does he say about judging others? What does he say about love they neighbor? In most cases of those who profess to know Christ are the most un Christlike. A case of "they draw near to me with their mouths but their hearets are far from me".

• MBSalt Lake Salt Lake City, ut
    June 8, 2011 12:53 p.m.

@SLC gal

You wouldn't have been heckled "or worse" for looking Mormon. What does that even mean? Please explain to me what you think lesbians (and their friends, mothers, sisters, etc.) look like? Horns? No wait, that's Mormons right?

You're just another example of the oppressor acting like you're the one being oppressed. Especially with your Straight Pride idea. I think that's a fine idea but a little redundant since every day of the year is straight, white pride.

Also, I'd love it if you pointed out one statement in your post that WASN'T homophobic.

• Vince here San Diego, CA
    June 8, 2011 1:09 p.m.

jasonlivy

But Jason,

You're working on the assumption that homosexuality is immoral and that only Christian nuclear families are heaven-bound, and further, that gays cannot be Christian.

I believe that God loves all his children and that God loves his gay children as they are. To say that gays have to conform to heterosexuality is narrow and moreover--it promotes the further teardown of what you're trying to protect, ironically. Gays are as capable of living committed happy fulfilled lives and to choose God, if they have a relationship with him.

Otherwise, you drive gays away from God. Which would you rather have?

• Robert Johnson Sunland, CA
    June 8, 2011 3:35 p.m.

To JasonLivy:

All of that is fine....if that is what you believe. Just don't try to pretend then that "these laws are not debateable or negotiable" because by your very post, you prove yourself wrong.

• New Mexico Albuquerque, NM
    June 8, 2011 4:18 p.m.

One word-- GROSS!!!

• Eddie T Baton Rouge, LA
    June 8, 2011 5:54 p.m.

@Clifton Palmer McLendon

You do realize that there is an LDS Church News which is separate and distinct from the Des News, right? The Church News and Mormon Times, while distributed with the Des News, aren't the same. The Des News is a local newspaper first and foremost. Their job is to report all of the news that all of the community would find important, not just the stuff the church and its members approves of.

• Dr. James Rawson Orem, UT
    June 14, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Maple Don is Spot On. This parade should have been ignored. To have children watching whilst Gay men dress up in drag and openly display acts of homosexual activity is beyond the pale. And, our State, County and a far too numerous hosts of people endorse such Sodom and Gomorrah behavior. The Lord is not well pleased and, the Deseret News, words aren't enough.