Utah

Teen's dad spends school year waving at bus, embarrassing son

Comments

• Brian Wasilla, AK
    June 3, 2011 7:10 p.m.

Hilarious costumes...well worth the time to check out the link with the story!

• My2Cents Kearns, UT
    June 4, 2011 4:37 a.m.

What the son doesn't realize yet is that his dad has just created a year of memories he will never forget, even if they were embarrassing. Sometimes children can't distinguish memories from love and caring parents.

I think schools and society in general frown on excessive and expressive caring but this son will remember this year for a long time. And if ever in a war the boy will crave for the presence of his goofy father.

It's good though the dad will hang up his theatrics, it must cost a fortune. I wonder what the son will be saying next year about his dad.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    June 4, 2011 6:31 a.m.

would be interesting to see his grandpa do his part. poor kid but sound like his dad was a fun guy. do well in school for the next several years (including college if you do attend).

• weedeater Murray, UT
    June 4, 2011 7:34 a.m.

My High School girlfriends' Dad would crow like a rooster every morning from their balcony outside their house. This embarrassed my friend but man did we think it was cool, in a quirky way. Quirky is cool and the Dad in this article has definitely got quirky. Two thumbs way up.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    June 4, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Oh if my parents had shown even a tiny bit of the interest and love this man showed for his son it would have been wonderful. It's a shame that this teenager did not enjoy the moment of love and devotion but I'm sure glad his Dad kept it up and it is true - it will always be in his memory of what his Dad did for a whole year. Hopefullly someday when he grows up and matures the memories will be treasured and shared with future children. My hat is off to a father who had the gumption to daily express his love. If more would do that we wouldn't have these angry and lonely kids out on the streets at night causing trouble. They would be home with their families basking in their love.

• CVgal Smithfield, UT
    June 4, 2011 7:56 a.m.

I think it's great that someone could endure thinking up that many costumes. That had to be hard -- and expensive! Indeed, as others have said, what gerat memories -- for both of them! The son will miss seeing him this year, even if he doesn't want to admit it!

• barbara Carlsbad, CA
    June 4, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Does this man have a job? he might want to go on the road with the act, if the kid doesn't throw him under the bus before.

• Fly Washington, DC
    June 4, 2011 8:18 a.m.

This is absolutely hilarious! Love it!

• WYOREADER Gillette, WY
    June 4, 2011 9:16 a.m.

Priceless!

• RSD Pepperell, MA
    June 4, 2011 9:22 a.m.

AWESOME! Way to go, Dad!

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    June 4, 2011 9:26 a.m.

Sounds a little bit more about the dad than it does about the son. As a teacher, I've seen parents go to great lengths and against the respectful wishes of their kids, to inject themselves into the school process. One mother used to drive her hummer up, park in the handicapped space, find her little gent and bring him his In and Out Burgers every day for lunch.

I have a hard time believing all of the people who think the guy is the bees knees and that he should be commended for this. His son, who sounds like a great kid, obviously is embarrassed by the guys actions and would rather he didn't do it. Where's the respect for what his son is going through? Worse--perhaps this man has serious problems. Do we not remember the quirky---Captain Nemo?

• TheWalker Saratoga Springs, UT
    June 4, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I am acquainted with Dale and can attest that he is a pretty remarkable guy. After losing his leg in a motorcycle accident, rather than attempting to hide his loss under a pair of long pants, he actually advertised the fact by wearing a pirate costume to our company's Halloween party, complete with peg leg.

Pretty amazing.

• 4Shore Farmington, Utah
    June 4, 2011 10:01 a.m.

That's awesome! I appreciate a good story that has someone with a good sense of humor.

• cbm Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2011 10:05 a.m.

I love this story. I can appreciate the dad's efforts and hope his son will someday. I understand where both are coming from and hope they'll meet in the middle and embrace each other someday.
    I disagree with bgl. I'm a parent who understands how much you can love a child, whether others approve or not.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 4, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Yes the Dad has creativity but if his son was truly embarrassed by it then it should have stopped. Purposely embarrassing your children in front of their peers is a form of emotional child abuse. If the son asked him to stop and he didn't... then shame on the Dad!

If the son was able to laugh about it with his friends and family.. I'm okay with it. I'd love to hear more about what the son really felt about it.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    June 4, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Kool... I wish I had a bus route past my house!

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    June 4, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Well working with youth for the past 20 years, I am really conflicted with this story.

First the cost of this charade must have been fairly expensive, could that money have been spent on other things? Maybe who knows, family vacation? Colledge fund?

This kid must be a great kid from a great family and dad seems to really care and wants to help his son. I have seen to many kids that get embaresed by their parents and then take the wrong path, becuase they don't want to be with thier family. So of course they go out and find a conterfit one.

Great funny story, but I am not sure if parents truly know what they do to their children sometimes and how childern respond to things like this some don't do well.

A thin line........

• Mary E Petty Sandy, UT
    June 4, 2011 11:02 a.m.

This boy is the stewardship of his parents. We cannot second-guess what motivated the father to persist; but me thinks that many a child could do with such attention in this world of mess-up parental priorities. One day the son will come to himself and see what his father really did.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    June 4, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Lighten up people!!!

1. Cost, can you not tell these are thrift store costumes? And from the look at the home, I don't think that spending a little money on a costume is going to hurt his budget, maybe he opted not to eat out all the time.

2. They interviewed the son and he was not resentful, yes at first he was embarrassed, but tell me, what teenager is not embarrassed by their parents? A parent could be acting, dressing and being very normal, and a teen would figure out how to be embarrassed.

3. This guy needs to write a book with all the photo's, it would pay for his children's college education.

4. Life it hard and this father has taught his son how to laugh at life and be willing to laugh at yourself, so you people who are all uptight, learn to smile and laugh and find the fun in life, there are plenty of things that will hurt, but this young man has a great treasure that he will never forget.

Dale, I think you are awesome, you showed your son that you loved him in a special way.

• VA Saint Chester, VA
    June 4, 2011 12:36 p.m.

@MoJules - I couldn't have said it better myself! I am a teacher and I love this father for showing he cares, with quite a bit of flair. You go, Dad!

• Melanie Alpine, UT
    June 4, 2011 2:34 p.m.

I am still laughing!! I have a son who would've died, and I have a son who would have been totally enjoying all the attention on the bus. Sometimes kids act embarrassed but deep inside they love it. I think this guy is very fun. Hopefully his son can be less self-conscious about his dad and roll with it. I'm sure more kids actually rode the bus to see him. In our neighborhood, the high schoolers are "too cool" to want to ride the bus. I love his attitude about his leg, that is one of the real stories here.

The dad is saying, "I am NOT going away." We need more dads like that.
    Great story!!!

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    June 4, 2011 2:36 p.m.

What a great dad. I got so used to giving my sons a kiss on their forehead after sports game when they were little it continued into high school. Yikes, a dad giving his son a peck on the forehead?! Their friends never said a negative thing. Men should be showing tgheir silly and soft side. There are too much machoism in our world. By the way, my sons turned out super and this young man will be better for having a father who shows how much he loves him.

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    June 4, 2011 3:51 p.m.

I love this! I will bet every kid on the bus after a few days was looking forward to the next creation. Sounds like a great family and we sure need more like them. Dad you rock.

• guswetrust Cebterville, Utah
    June 4, 2011 5:23 p.m.

I loved that the dad took the time to do it. The son and bus driver and school chums will never forget it. I'd give a million bucks to see my dad stand out and wave goodbye to me (he died in 1984). Dale, you deserve an award. If I had known all this, I'd have drive by every morning!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 4, 2011 5:58 p.m.

This is the greatest story of the YEAR!

This Dad [obviously physically handicapped] showed pure committment and love to his son each and everyday - rain or shine - the best way he could.

The kid will be embarassed now, but I guarantee he will miss it next year...and every other day for the rest of his life.

I'll even bet, this same kid when he's a full grow man no matter what the age -- will be dressing up to say "GoodBye" at his Father's funeral.

Because, even though it seemed silly on the outside -- It really was an act of love.

More parents should be like that.

• mediabiases Orem, UT
    June 4, 2011 6:41 p.m.

After my daughter acted embarrassed that I would say good-bye to her in front of her peers after dropping her off at the jr. high, I made sure that I rolled the window down and yelled "I love you" each morning so that every kid in listening range could hear. She did have the option of walking the 1 1/2 miles instead so I guess she wasn't that embarrassed.

• Gator_au Newcastle, NSW
    June 4, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Awww if he is embarrassed before, then he should take a look at this.

His dad has gone viral lol.

• CandaceSalima Orem, UT
    June 4, 2011 9:46 p.m.

Love this guy's style!

• Utexmom Flower Mound, TX
    June 4, 2011 9:49 p.m.

This is the funnest article I've read in a long time. A breath of fresh air.

• J in ID Idaho Falls, ID
    June 4, 2011 9:59 p.m.

As a father all I can say us, " I'm not worthy!" I can only dream of embarrassing my kids that good.

And I believe the kid loves his dad for it. My kids might be embarrassed at first but would end up looking forward to it every day just like their friends.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 4, 2011 10:05 p.m.

For some reason this reminds me of A Goofy Movie and An Extremely Goofy Movie (more the second movie).

• Cherilyn Eagar Holladay, UT
    June 4, 2011 10:57 p.m.

Way to go, Dad! My dad had a huge whistle, and every time I performed on stage, he would sit in the audience and let out that whistle while everyone else applauded. It was so embarrassing, but deep down inside, I knew he loved me. Now that he is gone, it is one of my best memories of him, and I will always cherish it.

When my children were teens they would have been embarrassed by just about anything. When we announced my fourth pregnancy, my eldest son was 14. His reaction was, "Mom, just don't embarrass me by showing up at school looking pregnant!"

But after the baby was born, he was the best big brother ever...so darling holding that tiny child in his arms. So much for embarrassment. Now he's a great dad with three children of his own that he will probably embarrass when they are teens.

• MrDave Brownsburg, IN
    June 5, 2011 7:51 a.m.

A father's love. Great job.

• scambuster American Fork, UT
    June 5, 2011 8:20 a.m.

The Daily Herald had a much more in depth article on this story on May 28 that should clear up any misunderstandings. First of all, this was not expensive. Mr. Price used what he had around the house for the vast majority of his costumes and many neighbors pitched and gave him things to wear. He was very creative with what he had and spent only $50 for the entire year. Secondly, while his son was very embarrassed at the onset, the dad became a star with his friends. According to the Herald:

"The first day of high school I have my dad waving at the bus," he said. "It was really embarrassing. But the last couple of months it has turned into more entertainment."

His friends have looked forward to the daily event.

"Some of my friends walk twice as far to the bus stop to see it," he said. "I have a lot of friends who are going to miss it. It is a once-in-a-lifetime thing."

• Schmice NORTHRIDGE, CA
    June 5, 2011 11:43 a.m.

How many fathers among us wish their sons or daughters were still alive to be able to be able to entertain them and their children like this? End the wars and bring our children home alive.

• GB Silver Spring, MD
    June 5, 2011 5:07 p.m.

Hilarious, and it doesn't seem like the son is suffering emotionally. The article quoted the son as saying the following: "Most of them [the other kids] like it, and we roll down our windows and wave. It's fun."

• Say What? Bountiful, UT
    June 5, 2011 5:10 p.m.

What a waste of time. If you really care about your son and really want to benefit him, how about getting involved in his academics.

How is your son doing in math?

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    June 5, 2011 6:30 p.m.

At what point did the Dad decide to make it all about him and not his kid?

• lydfin MENLO PARK, CA
    June 5, 2011 9:56 p.m.

Jeez, I can't believe how some people would rather look at things negatively. They probably didn't get any love from their parents. The link to the family's blog clearly shows a loving family who have a lot of fun. The son is an honor student, and plays in the high school marching band. He is not all that embarrassed since he and his friend laugh and wave back. Friends and neighbors give the father the costumes so they don't have to pay for them. To those critical commenters, your life would be better if you get a sense of humor.

• Say What? Bountiful, UT
    June 5, 2011 10:56 p.m.

Yes my comment was negative.

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

Good luck and good fortune to you for your efforts towards your son.

• GAmom Athens, GA
    June 6, 2011 7:18 a.m.

This is great! While kids often profess embarressment, they are often secretly trilled! Every year of our kids school lives we would sing "School days" to them as we let them out for their first day of school. Every year they would say "you aren't going to do this are you? Please promise me you won't etc". Teachers and friends would gather round with claps and whistles while our children looked embaressed. But they never left or ran into the school. They always stayed until we were finished so they could get their good luck kiss. When our first child left for college, the night before her first day she called crying "Are you going to call and sing to me in the morning?" We did that until every child finished college. Now those "embaressed" kids sing to their children.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    June 6, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Gosh, Dad! If we all could care about our children with such ferociousness of love. You showed us that laughing at yourself is truly important.

• I Choose Freedom Atlanta, GA
    June 6, 2011 12:10 p.m.

Great story.

Whilew not the same, this story reminds me of a friend in Indiana whose son was starting to cause some trouble at school. She warned him to cut it out but he didn't. She then showed up in his first period class to apologize to the teacher. She was wearing a robe with bedroom slippers. Her hair was up in curlers. She looked like a 50's era woman getting ready for the day. Needless to say the son got the point. Don't mess with Mama!!!

• FredEx Salt Lake, Ut
    June 6, 2011 12:36 p.m.

That is the funniest dang thing I've seen in years. This guy is awesome, and what a great way to show your kid you love him.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:58 p.m.

This is just incredible that the father would reinforce bullying to the son, he's merely raising yet another bully. This shows the kids that it's fine to make fun of someone and embarrass him/her and to write it off as fun. Shame on you.

• Cwolf Orem, UT
    June 7, 2011 12:16 a.m.

This is Dale Price?! No way! He was the founder of Pegleg Paintball. Awesome guy!

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    June 7, 2011 11:37 a.m.

I'm not convinced that this is a father "expressing his love" for his child. His son is pretty clear, to as matter-of-factly say that he doesn't like it. Personally, I can't blame him. Yes, having your dad do something unpredictable and zany like waving to you in a Darth Vader costume one day as you get on the bus, is kind of funny. Watching him day in and day out do the same predictable thing that breaks social norms, is quite another - particularly when Dad runs out of Darth Vader costumes and starts wearing white wedding dresses. That could be very embarrassing. His doesn't get the luxury of getting a laugh with all of his friends about that silly thing his Dad did that one time, because he must constantly deal with trying to explain why his Dad routinely exhibits unusual behavior - so unceasingly. My guess is this is more for the Dad than the Son, otherwise he would respect his Son's request. He doesn't, and so that begs the question of motive???

• Sparky908 Yakima, WA
    June 7, 2011 12:55 p.m.

That's quite impressive. I to grew up in a house filled with humor. To those who don't understand humor, this father was showing quite a lot of commitment to his son. I'm sure at the end of the first week the son was telling his dad how much his friends were enjoying the laughs. I'm sure the son and father had a good laugh about it also. Needless to say I can remember a lot of the corny jokes my father told me, well enough that I can tell my children, who now ask me to re-tell them all the time.

This father could have had a "woe is me" attitude after his injury, but instead did something to have a positive affect on his son's life. In a school atmosphere were most kids aren't even notice, I'm guess most kids in the school knew how "radical" this kids family was. My hat goes of to Dale and I hope his son will always appreciate the message that dad was always thinking of what he could do for his son the next day.

• Mountain Bird West Jordan, UT
    June 7, 2011 12:58 p.m.

I guess a quirky dad is better than no dad.

• GuitarGuy Layton, UT
    June 7, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Sounds like the father has a good sense of humor and really loves his son, but I'm a little put off by the oddity and slightly sociopathic nature of this story. There's a fine line between being a "crazy, fun Dad" and a "creepy weirdo", when you think about it. The difference must be creativity and humor. Pretty elaborate, time-consuming and expensive gesture, but there's no question it created a memorable year for his son. Whether it was for good or ill remains to be seen.

• Maggie Claire LAS VEGAS, NV
    June 7, 2011 4:01 p.m.

WOW! This would be hilarious and fun to watch from inside the bus-- only if it wasn't my dad. (:

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 8, 2011 6:28 a.m.

This dad isn't cool .... he's immature.

• Cheeseman Tyler, TX
    June 8, 2011 7:50 a.m.

What a Dad. This Kid should have played along. Everyone in school knew who he was and wanted to ride his bus. When you get older you will realize how great your Dad was. Tell your kidd if he don't make good grades you will continue standing out there. Good Story. Need more Parents like him. Get involved with your Kids. They will grow up better people.

• thinkb4posting HUDSON, NH
    June 8, 2011 8:23 a.m.

I think that although it was well-intentioned, sometimes you have to respect the feelings of your child and not just care that it makes YOU feel good to do it.
    How selfish. That is the only thing he could think of to connect to his son? Guess talking and listening to him was too much work.

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    June 8, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Rifleman | 6:28 a.m. June 8, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    "Embarrassing your children in front of their school mates isn't my idea of bonding with them. Too many children today turn to suicide as an answer to their problems."

This has gone from an activity this kid is going to remember--and laugh about--for the rest of his life, to suicide? Seriously?

• Simple Man Riverton, UT
    June 8, 2011 9:39 a.m.

@thinkb4posting | 8:23 a.m. June 8, 2011

...and what makes you think they didn't engage in talking and listening?

Funny how some negative people think that parents are only capable of doing "A" or "B", but never a measure of both.

• Brian H. Provo, UT
    June 8, 2011 11:12 a.m.

I understand the concerns about the dad embarrassing his kid... BUT the article does quote the kid as saying that it's fun and that he laughs about it with his friends. It's ok to like something and be embarrassed by it at the same time.

No one needs to tell this family how to be a family, go deal with your own.

• Rando305 Miami, FL
    June 8, 2011 1:45 p.m.

This seemed to be more about the Dad than the son. What was the point - other than getting your 15 minutes of fame. This isn't much different than the Dad in Colorado that faked the runaway balloon story having his 6 year old son 'supposedly' on board.

Great - you made the news at your sons expense. I hope your son will soon forgive you for it.

• Probal DasGupta ISELIN, NJ
    June 8, 2011 3:07 p.m.

Wonderful gesture. Tremendous perseverance. Great sense of humor. A gift that the son will remember and appreciate afterwards. The son was embarrassed. I would be too (without a doubt; I can imagine the nicknames my classmates would have invented). But I would always treasure it afterwards.

• iam3 AURORA, CO
    June 8, 2011 4:06 p.m.

I loved this! I sent this story to all my siblings who are parents (the one who is not a parent, and ought not, would NOT "get it")

Both of my kids had to endure my antics while growing up. My vow to them was to always try to do my best to show them my love. Now, at 26 and 22, they remain my best friends. And like this man's son, they have wonderful stories to share with others. My son, who could whup me with one arm tied behind his back, still gives me hugs. So does my daughter. Even after all the antics.

Imagine that. They have never doubted that I love them more than anything.

Anything.

To those "academics" who decry this guy's actions------I pity you. And hope you don't have, or deal with, children. We need fewer of you and more of this man.

• NightTrader Colonia, Yap, FSM
    June 8, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Well, at least he's all set for Halloween for the next 170 years!

• raybies Layton, UT
    June 9, 2011 6:04 a.m.

Teens need this. I've got a couple in my home, and they take themselves way too serious. It's a sign of maturity to be willing to laugh at yourself, and just have fun. In a way it represents visually the struggle that teens often have as to how to cope with having been children, and trying to find their way to adulthood. Too many kids despise anything from their childhood and develope a thick cynical skin, resentful of parents and authority, and are easily swayed by popular icons. These costumes are great for poking fun at popular iconic figures, for kindling a childlike playfulness, and for pointing out that adults don't have to abandon their inner child in order to survive.

It's really quite brilliant at a psychologically healthy level, and the parent has already stated he's not going to do this again. It's a onetime shot--so it's not really about him or some unhealthy fixation with wearing women's clothes. Also the son seems very mature in his approach to his dad's antics.

Very cool.

• SusanBM Cottonwood Heights, Utah
    June 9, 2011 7:34 a.m.

My cousin wanted her children to have special birthdays so she would do outlandish things to make them memorable - like covering the front of the high school with a banner saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY BREE, or talking the principal into announcing her daughters birthday over the intercom, or bringing large amounts of candy for all the school to enjoy etc. etc. Bree, and her siblings, were VERY embarrassed, but when my cousin died, guess what memories stuck most in their minds. This was love. Hats off to this guy because he's just given his son something more precious than gold; a loving memory. Laugh and the world laughs with you.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2011 7:03 a.m.

This father is a jerk for doing this to his son. Those years are tough enough without your father doing stupid things like this. I feel very sorry for the son.

• CP Tooele, UT
    May 25, 2012 6:17 a.m.

What a wonderful dad! I never had a dad while I was growing up and going to school. It would have been great fun for me to have had a dad to want to wave to me every morning as the bus went by. What a blessed boy..even though he may not see that yet. And what a pricelsss memory he gave his son. He won't forget this school year at all. Way to go Dale :) Two thumbs up in my book!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    May 25, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Anyone who claims to know how much this comes from love and how much the kid will appreciate it in the future (even though he is a high school kid who stated quite plainly that he was embarrassed by his dads actions)--is too caught up in the instant and viral spreading of this story. You are just like the people who were so certain that Marie Osmond lived a charmed and gloriously happy life. Look deeper. Be prepared to consider that, even though we shouldn't automatically assume that there is a negative, there might actually be a negative here, even though it's clouded by whacky loving old dad. This guy seems like a self promoter and his actions seemed more about pleasing himself and not respecting his son. You are positive that this kid is going to grow up knowing that his father loved him? I think there's a good chance that the kid might grow up knowing that his dad wants some more attention.

• duffingn SANDY, UT