Faith

Prepare for church spotlight

Comments

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 28, 2011 7:27 a.m.

You are absolutely right! Thanks.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2011 7:32 a.m.

I won't vote for them... Will you?

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    May 28, 2011 8:07 a.m.

It's always exciting to see the Church in the limelight. However, as wonderful as that is, it's also very difficult to bear the vile an hateful venom of those who are bend on ridiculing and attacking it. I just wish people will judge the candidates more on their character, integrity, capability and achievements and not so much on what their religious affiliation is.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    May 28, 2011 9:59 a.m.

To Johnson72: Yes, I would vote for Romney as I feel he is the right candidate, the right man and in the right place. Only history will bear if I am right or not. As of right now my no vote for Obama was correct.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    May 28, 2011 10:19 a.m.

Something to keep in mind when speaking to others about the church is to normalize some of our unique LDS vocabulary. Some terms are second nature to us but are actually foreign to non-LDS. Some terms have built in assumptions to us that non-LDS do not understand. For example, we use the term "atonement" a lot but we may need to explain what we mean and explain how it connects to the Christian emphasis on the cross, being saved and grace. Maybe just remember to explain what a term or phrase means after using it or ask how they are interpreting it.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    May 28, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Bill in Nebraska -

You answered a post of mine on another article yesturday and indicated that belief in modern, ongoing revelation is key to my furstrations and questions about the Church. And you are absolutely right. It relates to this article as well. More than anything, in order for anyone joining the Church to have real long-term success, they need to believe that their general and local leaders are inspired by God. That this Church is God not man made. Therein lies the heart of my struggles.

As we talk to others about the Church, it can be easy to focus on what we think will resonate with them. Maybe it is the strong youth programs or an eternal family. But I think we have to remember to emphasize that we believe this Church was founded on and continues to progress and operate on revelation. If someone can't accept that they likely will not be able to accept the Church/Gospel or sustain that long-term. We shouldn't shy away from that when speaking to others because it will prove key if they run into problems or struggles with doctrine/history.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    May 28, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I think Tequita's article was well-said. Some of the other comments were good and they seem to be coming from members who are active. That is always comforting. I agree it is important to be cautious how we express our views and beliefs but we also must stand as witnesses of Jesus Christ in all we do and say. So many people watch us, listen to us. As we are prayerful and reading our scriptures we will receive the guidance and promptings that are needed to help us feel confident enough to share the gospel with someone.