Utah

Huntsman family meeting in Utah this weekend to discuss presidential bid

Comments

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Please, no. No more proressive republicans like McCain running for president. Besides Romeny is more qualified than any other candidate to fix the economy of Bush/Obama.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:20 p.m.

Huntsman made up his mind to run for president years ago. I just wish he would seek the demo nomination as he is not much of a republican.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:24 p.m.

A presidential candidate wearing a denim jacket.

He has my vote!

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:30 p.m.

If he views being 'mormon' as his 'heritage' not his faith then he didn't answer the question ... or perhaps he did and he's the decendant of mormons.

I personally don't like any hint of a 'religion test' for political office. I do believe that his values should be open for discussion as they affect the basis for his decisions which are very much part of the political discussion.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:31 p.m.

I say he runs but nor really because he feels he can win the nomination in 2012- he runs because it positions him for '16- Has worked for many presidential hopefulls- get your name out there build a base in Iowa and NH and even SC and then build on that for 4 years later- backfires if your party wins that year a little but given his name recognition and other factors it is his best shot if he is serious about the presdiency

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    May 27, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Let's see, from the other article I just read about Huntsman, he's got the "model family." So, of course they're going to make the model decision to run if, for no other reason, then to divert any leeway Mit has going for him. The two are long-time nemesis, more on Hunstman's end than Romney's. Huntsman needs to get over the personal grudge he's held against Mit since the SL Winter Olympics snub. Also, I like how Romney can readily define his church membership & religion. Good, bad or indifferent, you know where Mit stands about his LDS faith. Hunstman ......?

• Fishback Salt Lake City, Ut
    May 27, 2011 2:43 p.m.

KM - Romney is not progressive?? Health care, abortion, gay rights, cap and trade? Look at his record/past statements not his temple recommend.

• Michigander Westland, MI
    May 27, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Who is he talking to in the photo - Elder Dallin H. Oaks?

• FarnsworthPMacGillicuddy Layton, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Junior will not run for 2012. He doesn't have the name recognition other than being a "sort-of" Ambassador to China for a very short period of time.
    If he cannot handle the tepid heat when asked about his religious beliefs, he can't handle much of anything else either. He's a political liability to any party at present. He needs to mature (grow up)politically instead of trying to be "slick".

• We the People Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2011 3:02 p.m.

This decision is easy...if you want to lose, then run.

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    May 27, 2011 3:22 p.m.

He says the decision whether to run is not easy? A look at opinion polls (only 2-3% backing Huntsman) should make the decision not to run very easy.

• B Logan, UT
    May 27, 2011 5:53 p.m.

@XelaDave

"he runs because it positions him for '16- Has worked for many presidential hopefulls"

False. Niether Obama, Bush, or Clinton didn't follow this path. In fact, the last person that really worked for was Reagan. And, ha ha, Huntsman is NO Reagan.

I am surprised that Huntsman is seriously considering jumping into this. He is the lightest of the lightweights. I don't mean that to be rude. It just true. There is no reason to waste the money.

• DonO Draper, UT
    May 27, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Huntsman is the real deal: Intelligent, savvy, photogenic, not to mention slick. But I seriously doubt he'll run in 2012, if ever. Diplomacy is his thing and he wants to be Secretary of State (even if he serves in a Romney administration). He may continue to make noise for the next few weeks gathering a little more support and money. And all the while he'll be handicapping the real candidates to decide the front runner who will give him what he really wants in exchange for his support. Or so I believe.

• dave Park City, UT
    May 27, 2011 7:45 p.m.

For those that think Huntsman is too far left to be a Republican I have some news. Today's Republican party would be too extreme right to accept Reagan. Like Reagan said about the Democrat party: "I never left the party, the party left me.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    May 27, 2011 8:16 p.m.

Jon Huntsman is the best hope we have to get our American mojo back.

• onyx1950 West Jordan, UT
    May 27, 2011 8:40 p.m.

stay out of the race. You can not beat Obama. Support Romney. Mit in 2012

• ExDixieIte Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 9:04 p.m.

Don't forget. In 1991 George HW Bush had a 90% approval rating, there was little chance for any Democrat to have a snowball's chance to win. So the strategy of the Democratic party was to trot out this kid named Clinton who had HUGE charisma (as does Huntsman), get name recognition and then beat Quayle when he tried to run in 1996.

Well, in the meantime, the economy tanked, Ross Perot jumped in and we wound up with Bill Clinton as President. I'm pretty neutral when it comes to political parties but I do know that my 401k LOVED the Clinton years regardless of his morals.

Is Huntsman thinking the same thing? Probably. Could Huntsman win this year. It's the economy, stupid. If it tanks he could win Would I mind Jon, Jr. as President? No. He's a moderate that can appeal to both sides of the aisle. Will he win? Probably not with the Rush & Tea Partiers if the nation which will probably give the seat back to Obama.

• Lauraloves2run SYRACUSE, UT
    May 27, 2011 10:39 p.m.

I'm new to Utah, but the more I read about Jon Huntsman the more I LOVE him. What I don't LOVE is reading comments all over the web by members of the LDS church questioning his Mormonism. What ever happened to David O. McKay's big tent religion? I don't think Huntsman is being wishy-washy about being Mormon at all. It's just clear his sense of spirituality is nuanced and complex.

I see a lot of Christianity in Huntsman's desire to find the good in other cultures, religions, and people. I love that President Holland said in an interview with PBS that we should be claiming even those who like the Book of Mormon but don't believe in it's divinity. There are a broad spectrum of beliefs within the church, people.

I don't know what Huntsman thinks about every doctrinal issue, but I don't care. As a Mormon, human being, and person that's sick of partisan politics, I would be proud to call Jon Huntsman my brother and President.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 28, 2011 7:16 a.m.

Dear ExDixieIte: What your 40lK loved was the years that the Republicans took over in Congress and dragged Clinton kicking and screaming toward a balanced budget. Clinton always seems to get credit for the prosperity in the ninties when it was really Reagan's good work along with the new Republican Congress that took over in the '94 election.

Look, Jon Huntsman doesn't have a snowball's chance of winning--at least not in 2012 and probably never. He DOES have a grudge against Mitt because Mitt was chosen over him to be the head of the 2002 Olympics. That's petty and immature.

I hope he'll decide not to run.

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 28, 2011 7:40 a.m.

I think Jon ought to give it a go and run. He has as good a chance to win as Romney does, perhaps better. As far as money goes, Jon has all he needs right now.

• Lauraloves2run SYRACUSE, UT
    May 28, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Cats: All Mitt Romney has over Jon Huntsman is name recognition. I have to say I actually like them both. Jon Huntsman however, has more personality and charisma in front of a crowd, and consequently, may have broader appeal. I'm still unsure if Jon Huntsman's goals is 2016, but I think his potential is being underestimated. I have a ton of non-LDS friends that think Jon Huntsman is awesome. I can't say the same about Mitt.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    May 28, 2011 9:28 a.m.

Could it be Huntsman's plan is to run for the GOP nomination, lose, and then accept Obama's invitation to run as VP in 2012 - in a grand gesture of mutual "bi-partisanship"?

That's a far more likely path to the White House for him than simply running now with an eye on the 2016 GOP nod.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    May 28, 2011 10:11 a.m.

What I would like to see Huntsman do is sit out the Republican primary and let the Republicans nominate what is likely their extreme right candidate and the Democrats of course renominate Obama. Then he should run as a third party candidate perhaps with a Democrat running mate who has centrist leanings. I think this candidacy would go much further than any Perot candidacy (and he got nearly 20% of the popular vote in 1992). I think Romney could do the same thing if he lost in primaries. I think Huntsman with the right VP candidate could actually win. I think the people are sick of extreme politics. I think the people want somebody with a proven record of solid leadership. And Huntsman with the right person at VP, appealing to the middle who is basically ignored in our current political landscape, could actually pull something off radically changing the face of American politics.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    May 28, 2011 11:05 a.m.

Ouch, there is a lot of religious litmus tests mentioned today. Does anyone else see it?

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2011 11:26 a.m.

Huntsman is exactly the kind of person we DON'T need for president, especially not now. We need a president who consistently makes his decisions based on our founding principles of freedom and limited government. We need a president who clearly states his core principles, and stands up for them.

Huntsman is a politician of convenience--not principle--which puts him all over the map. In other words, he makes his decisions based not on what's right, but instead based on which "group" he can most safely afford to offend. That's a sandy foundation which shifts frequently, and normally results in bigger government, less freedom, lower standards, and economic uncertainty.

• ST Layton, UT
    May 28, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Mr. Huntsman,
    Please don't run! We don't need another RINO in this race. Last time around we put forth a favorite of yours- Mr. McCain, yet another RINO, and look how that turned out. Please do the country a favor- don't run, and stay out of politics.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    May 28, 2011 12:14 p.m.

I see Huntsman as a reasonable politician who will work with others. I, for one, am tired of extreme politics, tired of leaders, whether they be from the left or right, that just want to call each other names and be strident in their positions. Huntsman has enough business acumen to get our economy going. He has enough compassion to listen to others. I hope he seizes on what I see as potential unique opportunity that appeals to the centrists of our country who want reasonable government and expects our politicians to work together to solve problems. I'm sick of party line votes on everything, we need someone who has the potential to bring our country together.

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    May 28, 2011 1:26 p.m.

dave said, "The GOP has been corrupted and will continue to be a sideshow until they swing back towards center where true Republicans reside."

I'd like you to lay out the issues and where "true Republicans" should reside on each one of them.

It's always interesting to hear Democrats tell conservatives that in order to be relevant we basically have to adopt their positions.

So dave, are you able to lay out 10 issues and tell us all where "true Republicans" are supposed to reside and why?

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    May 28, 2011 2:30 p.m.

Nothing screams easy Obama win for 2012 than a GOP ticket of Romney, Palin, or Newt (basically all the current leaders for the GOP's ticket).

It just goes to show the current state of that party. Lost and out of touch.

No solutions
    No relevance
    No victory in 2012

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    May 28, 2011 2:37 p.m.

The pundits treat him as an afterthought...he is an absolute unknown outside of Utah! My sister lives in San Diego with her husband and family and has never heard of him

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 28, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Huntsman is a nice guy with some real talents in the commerce field and did a good job as Ambassador. He might be cabinet member material (Commerce?) but he is not Presidential material.

Good hair and the ability to bend your positions on issues to suit the latest poles, and the inability to tell us how bad the other side's programs have hurt us are not qualities we need. His favoring "cap and trade" is one of the most repulsive aspects of this chameleon's performances.

He was a mediocre governor at best, never leading, just drifting with the winds of politics.

We don't need another RINO candidate, we need a true conservative!

• CJ Murray, UT
    May 28, 2011 10:44 p.m.

Is he going to challenge Obama for the Democratic nomination? That is where he belongs, certainly not on the Republican ticket. We had that last time with the nomination of Democrat Lite, McCain. Cap and Trade, illegal alien amnesty, the list goes on with this RINO. Who needs him? We already have his boss, Obama,,, who needs another radical liberal? We may as well keep the one we have.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    May 29, 2011 1:14 a.m.

PeanutGallery, where is your evidence that Huntsman says/does what is popular, or offends the fewest people? Was it support of liquor laws which were against the LDS church's position? His support for civil unions when most citizens were against it? His pushing through the four day work week when many didn't want it?

LivinLarge, so anecdotal evidence is your basis? Your sister has never heard of the U.S. Ambassador to the 2nd most powerful nation in the world? Never heard of a man whom the President of the United States has mentioned several times? Does that say more about Romney, or your sister?

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    May 29, 2011 8:37 a.m.

The sequence of events in the Huntsman saga are off-putting for me. I find it distasteful that so soon after his interview with Time magazine in which he stated he still needed to do his due diligence before he would be comfortable answering the pressing questions of our day - he went to the K Street lobbyists. Now you might say, he was 'just' seeking financial backing for his run. Or you might say he was asking the corporate representatives what positions he needed to take, in order to get financial backing for his run. I love many of his statements, when he was willing to speak out. I would feel more comfortable with him than with Bachmann who speaking for a world divided, and I prefer Huntsman to Romney and Pawlenty, both of whom strike me as being willing to say anything, to get elected. But I doubt Huntsman is really prepared. Maybe next time. I would rather have him in the White House than the characters we will be choosing among, but I dont see him being ready for the run. The whole process seems out of hand, since the first primary is NEXT year.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    May 29, 2011 9:01 a.m.

real maverick:

It just goes to show the current state of that party. Lost and out of touch.

No solutions
    No relevance
    No victory in 2012

Really?
    what solutions from the demos, spend everyone else's money
    demos relevance? spending, taxing, changing....all that was good
    we will see. glad you are so sure.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    May 29, 2011 10:15 a.m.

I just saw the latest CNN/opinion research poll taken after Huckabee and Trump gave up. Romney is at 15%, Palin is right behind, but Guliani is leading with 16%. They also asked who your 2nd choice was and Romney had 15% of those and Guliani had 14% and Palin was right there too. So... Guliani is statistically tied with Romney and Palin even though Guliani has not even been running much. Next thing, Guliani now says he is going to N.H. to test the waters. PS: Huntsman just got 1%. I find these poll numbers astonishing. Guliani was famously an adulterer. He never won even one primary, and only had the funds to really go after one race, in Florida and did not win. I suspect that people who are choosing Guliani over Romney are saying, anybody but Romney. Bachmann and Pawlenty must be crying right this minute. They came in after Cain who got 10%. Paul got 12%. So Bachmann and Pawlenty are not even in the top five nationally, although the bandwagon effect may kick in if one of them wins Iowa.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    May 29, 2011 1:29 p.m.

"not an easy decision" or "tough to define" ...

These recent quotes by Huntsman are not giving me easy feelings about him leading our nation.

Go Mitt!!

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    May 29, 2011 2:54 p.m.

To Cats | 7:16 a.m. May 28, 2011

You're re-writing history to fit your wishes concerning what happened with President Clinton. Sorry, Cats, your construction is totally wrong. Reagan had nothing to do with President Clinton's economic success. The economy was failing as Reagan left office, and totally stagnated during George Herbert Walker Bush's term in office. Clinton turned the economy around, and made it work very well. Also, in case you don't want to remember, President Clinton fought Gingrich and his cohorts to a sandstill when President Clinton wanted to retain a higher tax rate even though here was a financial surplus, and use the excess funds to balance the budget and reduce the federal debt. Gingrich wanted to run up deficits while giving the money back to the well-to-do.

I am grateful that President Clinton won. He was a totally wretched person, but a very good President. We need more like him . . . and NOT like any of the Republicans running for president in 2012 (except, of course, Governor Huntsman, who is the only decent the candidate the Republicans have).

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    May 29, 2011 3:42 p.m.

Furry

Could you specifically tell me what Clinton did to turn around the economy, as you say?

• dave Park City, UT
    May 29, 2011 7:23 p.m.

@Charles | 1:26 p.m. May 28, 2011

I've been a republican since the 70's. I know what I'm talking about. At this juncture, I refuse to vote for most of those in my own party that trample on the foundations of the party. Why don't you extreme right wing loonies start your own party.

• rocklaw Holladay, UT
    May 31, 2011 9:49 a.m.

go for it, nothing better than a moderate, it's just what we need, someone reasonable, and moderation in religious views is also a positive.