Utah

Brigham City woman recalls memories of LDS Church in Joplin, now demolished by tornado

Comments

• onapodium Manteca, CA
    May 24, 2011 11:17 a.m.

This is quite a shock. When I was young I lived in Carthage, which is just a short distance away, and we went to church in Joplin. (1970-71) I believe this is the same building we attended. I too have a lot of memories there, and cant believe it is gone. Im sure that it will not be long before a new building is built, but memories will linger in hearts and minds, and many an album. Blessings to all the people of the Joplin area as they regroup and rebuild.

• Undefeated Hyrum, UT
    May 24, 2011 12:46 p.m.

I worked in Carthage and went to the Joplin church also in 75-76. Sometime before we moved there the same building was hit by a tornado. The piano was refinished because of rain damage. Wished I was living there again, good luck to everyone.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    May 24, 2011 2:14 p.m.

Oh, geez. When I saw the headline I thought they meant Janis.......

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    May 24, 2011 5:09 p.m.

I'm truly sorry for the devastation that has occured in the latest string of tornadoes, and for the loss of life. It's a tragedy for anyone to have to endure. I have personally witnessed enough loss of life and personal tragedy that I understand the terrible toll it takes on anyone surviving the event.

That said, I am sure getting tired of the constant reminders that somewhere, somehow, and usually involving someone (however remotely) there is a "Utah Connection" to just about any event anywhere in the world. C'mon news outlets...Let the news be the news and please stop trying to assure a Utah tie-in to every tragedy in the world. It's just plain pathetic and makes us look foolish, at the very least.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    May 24, 2011 7:44 p.m.

@ HCB63

I completely disagree! Not pathetic and foolish at all. I find it very interesting. When I lived out of state there were always articles like this tieing a local in with some remote tragedy. It brings a new perspective and increases our compassion when someone close to us is feeling the pain.

• sfcretdennis Nice, CA
    May 24, 2011 8:12 p.m.

O'really | 7:44 p.m. May 24, 2011

Remember this is a LDS news site so it is going to have issue that LDS members wish to here. sorry if it offends you but this is a LDS run paper and news site. If it were any other news paper then I would have to agre with you but its not. Sorry.

• It's What I think Denton, TX
    May 24, 2011 10:58 p.m.

HCB63, No need to feel foolish or pathetic. This kind of news reporting happens everywhere. Most people have a sense of "community" and want to know about events and people that touch or affect that community. At least once per newscast here we hear about a "North Texas" connection to some story or another.

Best wishes to those affected by the Joplin tornado.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    May 25, 2011 9:46 a.m.

DN: "Brigham City woman recalls memories..."

Did she forget the memories and now recalls them?

A better headline: "Brigham City woman recalls LDS Church in Joplin..."

• kenny Sterling Heights, MI
    May 25, 2011 8:09 p.m.

We need that strong connection between the saints in Utah and the saints scattered accross the world.

• MPeace Provo, Utah
    May 26, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Condolences to all of those that lost loved ones and their most needed and necessary belongings.

I hope they can find them all.

If Everyone prays for the money to clean up this damage, -and rebuild -and

-If Everyone prays for Wisdom, Understanding and Knowledge, and searches the internet using Google,

-There is no excuse for this kind of destruction from these type of winds from Tornados, being that Google shows the way on -

theretiredminer website found with it -has the methods to prevent such damage in the future and places to obtain the prevention materials under Home Hurricane, Typhoon, and Cyclone Protection.

Construction of netting over tall structures so that it would come down to anchors automatically at the first sound of tornado sirens would prevent any and all destruction from these storms.

This kind of Damage at the present day has no excuse throughout the whole area East of the Rocky Mountains. Since, with the government backing it, there is the means.