Utah

Utah builder staking future on 'going green'

Comments

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    May 11, 2011 1:01 a.m.

Now if their homes weren't so ugly...

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    May 11, 2011 7:54 a.m.

Good for Garbett. I'll be on the market soon, and I will keep this in mind.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    May 11, 2011 9:40 a.m.

Like this a lot.

• The Final Word Alpine, UT
    May 11, 2011 9:54 a.m.

NEWS FLASH

Building new homes is not environmentally friendly when there is already a glut of used overpriced inventory on the market.

I have to say the utility bills they are quoting are quite impressive though, if true.

At the end of the day though, building more new homes while there are reams of repossessed/bankrupt/short-sale homes available is NOT environmentally friendly and further depresses prices of existing housing.

It is comical that organizations put themselves forward as "green" meanwhile by their very existence are exactly the opposite considering the current housing market situation.

Good marketing for the sheep that will buy it thinking they are acting green though. Even though less efficient, it would have less environmental impact to buy an existing home rather than continuing to support these builders building new ones.

Marketing can and does deceive many.

Example? Apple. Supposedly many of the people who purchase their products are "green" and yet Apple was recently rated as one of the worst according to Greenpeace. Google "least green tech company" and see for yourself.

That does not seem to stop the sheep from buying their overpriced anti-environment products though.

Like I said, marketing deceives many.

• Sandy Sport Fan 2.0 Sandy, UT
    May 11, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Interesting article. I have seen some Garbett Homes in the Salt Lake valley and really liked their minimlaist style architecture. I was not aware that they were also aggressively pursuing energy efficient designs. I am impressed.

• bRad in Sandy Sandy, UT
    May 11, 2011 10:37 a.m.

@The Final Word - Your comments regarding new home building might be accurate if the population on the Wasatch Front were stagnant. However, this is not the case. The Wasatch Front continues to grow so existing housing cannot accommodate demand. In the long run, more housing is necessary to meet that growth in population. Although this is likely to have associate environmental impacts, energy effecient construction is an excellent way minimize those impacts. Would you rather have the new homes people build be energy efficient or inefficient? I would prefer the former and therefore I commend Garbett for pushing the market in this direction.

As to whether this construction is really green (or energy efficient), I think consumers can figure this out. If energy bills really are lower in a Garbett home then a buyer can know the home is more efficient (therefore, more green). If a Garbett Home utility bill is what the company claims it to be, then it is clearly a very efficient home (i.e. a green home). I wish my utility bills were that low.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    May 11, 2011 12:02 p.m.

If people want this type of home, then the market will show that. Just DON'T FORCE IT on us through government regulation.

How many people do you know that would say they selected their house or community or neighborhood or options in their dwelling based solely upon the cost of utilities? And what if the gas bill is lower, but the specific city services like water, sewer and garbage (or the local school district for that matter) were considerably higher? And what about property tax? There's a lot more to consider than the difference between $6 and $20 a month for electricity when deciding which type of home to buy and where.

Don't be decieved----do your homework folks!

• Stenar Salt Lake City, UT
    May 11, 2011 6:18 p.m.

I've always loved Garbett home designs and now knowing they're energy efficient is great, too!

• Utah Dad Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2011 4:05 p.m.

If we must have more new homes built in Utah they should all be built like this! It's nice to see a company innovating in a way that benefits society and the environment (not exclusively their bottom line).