Red roundup: Utah football cracks CBSSports.com's post-spring top 25

Comments

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:01 a.m.

Dodds obviously didn't see any of utah's spring practices.

LOL

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:14 a.m.

This will be a top 10 team by the end of the season no doubt.

With Oregon and USC not on the schedule a Rose Bowl is the expectation.

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:16 a.m.

glad to see the utes in the poll. robert johnson is a stand up class act as well.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 10, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Part of the perks of being in a BCS conference is being hyped by National media.

Deal with it trolls.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Love the Utes and hope that they have a top 25 season.

However, if I am honest with myself - that is a very optimistic outlook. There will be some bumps in the road the first time through the PAC 12. Lack of depth (as shown in the spring game) will show at some point in a much more brutal conference schedule than the Utes have ever faced. I will be right there cheering the fellas on, but #22 seems generous right now. Maybe Wynn will surprise me in Chow's new offense?

This seems like one of those pre-season rankings I used to get mad about when Utah would get left out in favor of a BCS conference team that got its pre-season ranking because of its conference affiliation. It will take some getting used to to be able to lose 3 or 4 and still be able to hit the top 25.

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:24 a.m.

Great way to start out in a new conference!! It's awesome that the program has such national respect and such a bright future. Can't wait until the fall!!! Go Utes!!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:29 a.m.

Chris B - I am sure you meant to say the Utes don't play Oregon or Stanford this year. We play USC in PAC-12 week #1. Better study up on the Utes schedule rather than spending all of your time getting the BYU fans fired up.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Robet Johnson is another great story of someone rising up above the fray and succeeding with the odds stacked against you.

Good job RJ.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 10, 2011 11:41 a.m.

@UU32 Chris B is not even a Utah fan. He's a BYU fan posing as a Utah fan.

I'm not so sure that Utah finishes in the top 25 this year. Utah will have strong lines on both sides of the ball and strong LB play, but replacing the entire defensive backfield (wish Burton would have stayed), shaky QB play, and unproven RBs make me think a more likely result is 6-6 or 7-5.

That result is not good, especially when compared with previous success, but I think Utah will win a game or two that people think they will lose and lose a game or two that people think they'll win. Anything better than 7-5 and this will be a successful season.

• -PSUYB- Scranton, Pennsylvania
    May 10, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Well I think a top 25 ranking is extremely generous considering how last season ended for Utah.

The fact that they lost 7 or 8 of their best players on offense as well as their defensive secondary and best defensive linemen. Brought in a new OC and a new offensive scheme, and your starting QB cannot practice until fall camp. I dont understand how this makes for a #22 ranked team. But I suppose Utah has surprised many with past success and definitely harbor some respect.

However this year is much different. In years past Utah has only had to prepare for 2 or 3 big games per year. Then had teams like Wyoming, New Mexico, and CSU to coast through. That is over now with competing in the PAC. The competition is better week in and week out. And I think it will be 3 years until Utah is competitive in the conference.

With a new and inexperienced offense/OC Utah will struggle early, dropping games to USC and BYU. I think Utah will lose 3 more games to ASU, UW, and Arizona.

7-5

Any Ute fan predicting a 2012 Rose Bowl appearance is seriously delusional.

• oh ye confederacy of dunces Flushing, NY
    May 10, 2011 11:46 a.m.

This prediction is so far from acurate it is laughable. The U could VERY easily finish with a losing record this year. I would readily bet every cent I will make that the U will not finish the season anywhere near the top 25. Enjoy the little illusion of success this year's U football team has--it certainly won't last.

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Let's save the Spring & Summer prognostication and bluster for our friends to the South.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:58 a.m.

UU32

You are right, my bad. That is what I meant. Lots of potential with not meeting those two.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:59 a.m.

I was looking at ESPN and noticed something that bothered me.

When I clicked on the College Football tab, there was a feature story about Boise State, including a header that BSU is the class of the non-AQ. I thought ESPN was behind us....

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    May 10, 2011 12:02 p.m.

Nice to see the real U fans stick it to the real trolls on these boards. Best of luck this season. Should be a fun ride.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:07 p.m.

National respect for the U and for the PAC. This is good news for both of them. Utes picked the 4th best team in the PAC. I would have to consider it a good first season in the new conference if they finished with 7 or more wins and in the top 4 in the PAC.

@hedge
    "At this point I don't think Utah isn't in the top 25 (that could change by fall) but because of the conference they're in and the elite programs they play...Utah will forever more be thought of differently than a Non AQ."

I agree. If they are successful they will deserve everything they earn.(Money, good recruits and national respect). If they are not successful they will get everything they earn. (Money, mediocre recruits, not much national respect and a reputation as a league doormat similar to Washington or Colorado).

I am sure you will be more capable of dealing with that than you will be with the success of the team you are obsessed with.

• che loco Springville, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:11 p.m.

How'd that preseason top 25 ranking work out for the utes last year? Put down the giant pitcher of red kool-aid. Let the season play out before you get too excited.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:14 p.m.

An undefeated season is absolutely within reach for this group. Loaded at linebacker and running backs. If Wynn gets back to good form this could be a special season much liked 2004 and 2008. My predictions: 11-2 and a respectable top 15 final ranking for the first Pac 12 year. Great time to be a ute.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 10, 2011 12:14 p.m.

I have many questions/concerns about this edition of the Utes, but the biggest ones are:

Was the dropoff in Wynn's productivity in the last half of last season due to his shoulder? How will he perform with his surgically-repaired shoulder?

Will a solid backup quarterback emerge? I'm afraid we will need one at some point during the upcoming season.

Will the offense take quickly to the new scheme brought in by Coach Chow?

Will the defensive backfield play better than their experience (or lack thereof) suggests?

We have debated for years whether our (WAC, then MWC teams) could withstand the weekly grind of playing a Pac 10 schedule. Well, we're about to find out.

I am traditionally a very cautious fan. I believe Utah will win at least half of their games, but that is far from a foregone conclusion. An 8-4 finish would make me extremely happy about Utah's inaugural Pac-12 season.

I can hardly wait for football season to arrive. Go Utes!

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:24 p.m.

I would say with a few breaks Wynn has an outside chances at the Heisman this year. He was inconsistent last year, but so was the team in general. Whittingham will have things resolved in time.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Uteology | 12:49 a.m. May 9, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

"Look this is nothing new, same old preseason hype every year..."
    ===

And, for many years to come.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 10, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Don't get so excited, it's the end of the season poll that counts, not the pre-season poll. I like Bronco's idea - don't release any polls until the 5th or 6th week of the season. I am happy to see that there are a few Utah fans who recognize that this is an unrealistic ranking given the experience of the team and the caliber of the schedule.

I only wish that BYU played Utah before USC instead of after USC so that we could claim a win over a ranked team. By the time the Utes come to Provo, they won't be found in any rankings. Utah does not have as good of a team as they did last year, and meeting USC (legit Top 10) and BYU (much improved over last year) in weeks 2 and 3 will leave the Utes with a 1 - 2 record.

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:30 p.m.

How about Scranton dude predicting the Utes will lose at home to Washington. Nice. Football. Knowledge. Why stop there? Predict the Utes will lose at home to Colorado as well.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:39 p.m.

@Utah'95

That is a realistic look at it. 8-4 would be cause for celebration.

As far as a mwc team being able to compete week in and week out, well I wouldn't put that on this edition of the utes. I personally think they are in for a down year and in my opinion that should in no way reflect on the teams they had during their best years. I would think the '04 and '08 teams would compete just fine on a weekly basis in the pac10. Maybe neither of them go undefeated but as far as being competitive...absolutely.

I have no doubt that there are going to be mediatypes that will use what this years utah team does as an example but it simply isn't accurate. It is an unfair comparison anyway as none of the pac10 teams other than USC is competitive every single year in that conference either. Most of them have competitive years followed by mediocre years and they cycle. My guess is utah will do the same thing but this year will be a down one. I just don't see it as a condemnation of their best teams.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 10, 2011 12:45 p.m.

Duckhunter,

I agree with everything you said. Realistic, logical, and emotion was left on the shelf.

Thanks for your insight.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:54 p.m.

"I was looking at ESPN and noticed something that bothered me.

I anxiously await the moment when will we prove all the naysayers wrong. I am changing my forecast from 10-2 to 11-1 as of today. Our only loss will be to TCU, and I'm not even sure about that one given that TCU lost so much talent on both sides of the ball."

What does any of that have to do with Utah? You and the rest of troll nation spend so much time on Utah forum's you've forgotten there are places to post you're BYU fantasy's that are dedicated to BYU.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 10, 2011 12:56 p.m.

@CougFanin TX

"Utah does not have as good of a team as they did last year, and meeting USC (legit Top 10) and BYU (much improved over last year)"

USC is legit top 10 team? Based on what? Historical performance? Projected performance? They do not even appear in the poll referenced in this article. Last year they went 8-5. I'm not saying Utah deserves a place in this poll, but what I am saying is that you must not follow the PAC-12 or college football very closely if you're asserting that USC is a top 10 team. Sure they get recruits, but Kiffin hasn't proven that he can coach and performance on the field does not merit your top 10 label.

I'd also like to address your assertion that BYU is a "much improved team." What is that based on? Their winning streak towards the end of the season (let me point out that they lost to the only team with a winning record in that streak)? Beating a marginal UTEP team?

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:56 p.m.

"How about we all admit there are two good teams from Northern Utah who are going to make this college football season fun.

And, for many years to come."

I'll take it a step further this has been the case for the last 15 years.

Good luck to both teams may their zealot's see the light!

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    May 10, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Gonna stink when you start your season out 1-3 and only beating Montana.

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    May 10, 2011 1:37 p.m.

I am very excited for Utah football this year. I think the Utes will do well, but not amazing. It's very gladdening to see a Utah school get into an AQ conference. Good luck!

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    May 10, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Gonna stink when you realize soccer isn't even a sport in the US.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    May 10, 2011 1:44 p.m.

I think I'll continue with wishing both Utah and BYU the best of luck for the upcoming football season. I'll even take it further by adding USU and eber to the list. I hope all our teams from Utah do well this next season. This from an AGGIE alum.

• Samwise Provo, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:27 p.m.

Good for the Utes. I hope they remain ranked throughout the season. Looking forward to when they come down to Provo to play BYU. Should be a good game, hopefully between two ranked teams. I hope the Cougars can pull it out.

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    May 10, 2011 2:37 p.m.

USC won't stand a chance against pre-season national champion Utes!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:37 p.m.

@ Chewbacca
    Come out from under your rock. Soccer is the biggest youth sport in the state of Utah and in the country overall. It is a fantastic sport for learning strategies, teamwork and it involves many kids who would otherwise not be involved in sports at all.
    I am around 50 yrs old and felt as you did about soccer until I had kids and watched them play youth soccer and develop a love for it. Hopefully you can grow up some day, open your eyes and realize that Soccer is a great sport for our country.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Good to get the attention. Better to fly under the radar. Going to be a growing up year...but a good one.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    May 10, 2011 3:10 p.m.

It's nice to see the Utes ranked in a preseason poll. Hopefully, they'll be ranked in the Coaches and AP preseason polls and they'll still be there when they visit LES. It will make the game even more interesting.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:01 p.m.

I bet the Hog and other Ute trolls were nervous when they saw that Uona Kaveinga was listed on the all-Spring Practice team on Rivals this year.

USC talent + playing for Bronco = Utesies shivering in their respective shorts

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 10, 2011 4:17 p.m.

@DevilishUte

USC - Here's why USC is a legit Top 10 team and will likely win the South. 2010 was first year under Kiffin and players adjusting to his system. Players now know the expectations and Kiffin's system, and we all know they have talent. 2010 was impacted by the shock of the program's suspension. That's old news now and players are over it. Barkley has a chip on his shoulder and has something to prove. When they play your Utes and Sun Devil's in week 2 and 4, you will see what I mean.

BYU - If you would have watched the games at the end of the season, you would have seen they were much improved. If you would have seen them in Spring practice, you would have seen they are much improved. They have a passion and focus that I have not seen before. They also have more talent than they've ever had before, but they are still very young. I'm not predicting a NC like some Coug fans, but I think a 10 - 2 record is very realistic. Heaps will take then to a BCS bowl before he's done.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Awesome, start the Utes out ranked (which is a complete laugher) and make BYU domination of the overrated Utes on Sept. 17th all the more sweet. However, after USC is done beating them senseless, they'll be out of the polls already...DARN!

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    May 10, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Can USC play in the championship game? It would be great to see them play Oregon and win and then Oregon can go to the Rose Bowl after losing the championship game. As for ASU, I can't stand them but when they play Utah I hope they win.

Go Wildcats

• -PSUYB- Scranton, Pennsylvania
    May 10, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Mesa Coug,

To answer your question, No, USC as of now, cannot participate in a bowl game. But they can participate in the conference championship. Last I heard, USC was waiting for an answer to their appeal in whether they will be able to compete for a BCS bowl bid.

They will clobber Utah either way.

Utah is in for a rude welcome to the PAC-12 on there visit to the Coliseum.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 5:44 p.m.

That Sept. 10th game in LA will be a shut-out, something Boise State and Notre Dame came very close to achieving at the end of last season against the Utes...My preditions for the Utes for the first 3 weeks are: Utah 10-7 over Montana State, USC 42-0 over Utah...followed by a 35-10 thrashing of the Utes by my Cougars (on National TV I might add) to ensure a Utah drop in the polls beyond receiving any votes for weeks thereafter...

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    May 10, 2011 6:03 p.m.

PSUYB - That was my question if they could participate in the conference championship game. It would be great if they won the conference championship game and then had to send the loser to the Rose Bowl because USC can't play in a bowl game.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    May 10, 2011 6:54 p.m.

Was BYU mentioned or ranked in this poll? Just curious!!

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    May 10, 2011 7:16 p.m.

"Was BYU mentioned or ranked in this poll? Just curious!!"

Yes, BYU was ranked #1 and the Cougars were the most talked about team in the poll!

Just curious why Athlon's preseason cover of Jake Heaps was considered all preseason hype, but today's preseason Top 25 poll has Utah fans beating their chests.

Gotta laugh at the hypocrisy!

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    May 10, 2011 7:56 p.m.

I'm reading all of these incredible prognostications concerning who will beat who and with what score, & I simply cannot fathom how anyone can come to any conclusion concerning any team at this point.

If you're reading any of the updates on PAC 12 teams it appears they all have significant issues of one kind or another to deal with between now and September, and no one has their Fall recruiting class reporting in yet.

I understand fan loyalty, but hey this is ridiculous. To me the burden of proof will be (1) how effective the various coaching staffs will be between now and the first kickoff, (2) which team's players will really dedicate themselves to preparation between now and September, and then (3) who can stay healthy thru the season.

I'm not much of a Notre Dame fan, but it seems to me you need the luck of the Irish to get thru a heavy schedule and come out on top. That doesn't necessarily mean the team with the most Scout.com stars will win.

All the rest of it is just postering and puffery. Anything can happen, and it probably will.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Who cares this early?

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2011 9:36 p.m.

It's too bad that BYU will be 0-2 before playing Utah in 2011. It will bring down the strength of schedule.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    May 11, 2011 6:10 a.m.

This Cougar fan hopes both the Utes and the Cougs will come in undefeated and nationally ranked when they meet in Sept. After all the hype, nothing could be more disappointing than seeing them come in both 0-2, and nowhere to be seen on the national poll radar. Go Cougs! Go Utes!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 11, 2011 6:43 a.m.

Wow, a #20 at Rivals and now this, a #22. It's must be great to be a Ute. Heck, let's just declare a Las Vegas Bowl and get it over with!

BSU wins again!

I'm still laughing about the Utes only appearance on ESPN is against BYU this September.

There's something special about nationally televised games for the Utes lately. Oh, I remember... single digit scores!

• jefferysl Huntsville, Alabama
    May 11, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Hmmm, Ute's ranked in top 25? I like the Utes, and I suppose this is good for the PAC-12 (if they can back it up), but I don't see it. Langi and the Ute offense positively stunk in the Spring. Get Wynn back and some more work in the Fall and I'm sure we'll see some improvement. BUT, the strength of this team will be defense. Oh, and watch out for Washington. They are going to be decent on both sides of the ball with good talent and very good coaching. They are coming off of a 5 game win streak (unlike the Utes) and are playing with confidence.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 11, 2011 10:15 a.m.

This is great news for the Utes. Since most analysts have us finishing 9-3 or 8-4 it shows how much respect they are giving the PAC-12 and particularly the PAC-12 South. Now the team just has to deliver.

• IDC Boise, ID
    May 11, 2011 10:47 a.m.

I hope Utah is undefeated and ranked in the top 10 for the BYU game. I really do.

• AggieLuva South Jordan, UT
    May 11, 2011 10:59 a.m.

There is no way Utah will finish in the top 25 this year. Unless, Norm Chow starts developing one of the backup QB's right now and one of them improves drastically by week 3, or 4. I say that because 1 thing will happen by then, either Wynn gets injured, or Norm pulls the plug and puts someone else in. Jordan Wynn will be the reason Utah has a subpar year. Shoulder surgery or not, it doesn't matter what they fixed on Wynn, they didn't fix his heart which he doesn't have out on the football field. I wish the best for the Utes, but until they pull Wynn and find someone else, they don't have a chance! It's sad because I was hoping this would be the year that Utah would pave the way and let people around the nation know that the state of Utah is legit and the MWC was as good as a BCS conference.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 11, 2011 10:59 a.m.

@IDC

That hope is in vain I'm afraid. The utes will not beat usc and it won't even be close. We'll just have to be satisfied with beating them down unranked. I'll enjoy it either way.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 11, 2011 8:26 p.m.

Boy its crystal clear that byu fans are just burning up reading the national media attention on Utah while the team THEY think is so relevant with that big ESPN deal is ignored and ignored again.

Watching BYU lose and their fans squirm may be even better this year than it was last.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    May 11, 2011 9:23 p.m.

Tomahawk Red

You mean the national media attention that decided not to televise a single Utah game on ABC/ESPN. Yes, BYU fans are really burned up about that.

Utah fans will really be squirming when the Utes realize they don't have a quarterback after getting anihilated by USC and BYU. Watching the Utes go down in flames after a year of chest beating is going to be sweet.

Utah football meet Utah basketball.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 12, 2011 8:33 a.m.

@tomahawk red

Actually get on tv one game before u start bragging about exposure. Last I checked BYU already has 5 games on espn scheduled for this season. That is just about 1/2 of their games. Unfortunately the utah game is dragging them down to the secondary espn but it does still go ut nationally.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Most of Utah's games will be on FOX Regional and/or the PAC 12 Channel. Still alot better than the MTN.