Cougar Nation: BYU football looking unusually deep at defensive back

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 5:38 p.m.

Cant wait to see this 4.9 speed in person. I'll bet of the fastest 20 players in salt lake and utah county, 19 of the 20 live in Salt Lake.

Speed and sunday school boys just don't mix

You all know its true

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 9, 2011 5:42 p.m.

I'm guessing the DB position represents the highest perecentage of non LDS players - one of the many reasons Y the Y has difficulting getting and keeping and quality at that position.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 9, 2011 5:43 p.m.

This sounds like a promising lot...In the past we have struggled a bit with recruiting but now that we're getting kids like Rich and Pendelton, a former safety, in I think we'll have better fortune recruiting the defensive backfield.

Our LBs and secondary will be strong along with the beef up front. We're going to have very few weaknesses.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 6:04 p.m.

We will have the best defensive backfield in the nation.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 9, 2011 6:04 p.m.

The difference between good and great for the Cougs this year is the DB's and TE's. Every other position looks solid.

With some key DB's graduating and moving on, I was initially very concerned. But the more I read, the more confidence I have that this group will be solid. Mendenhall doesn't give praise, unless it's due.

I know we have a lot of talent at TE, but I think the coaches need to get it down to three TE's at most. With more than that, they won't get enough reps to improve their execution.

This is going to be a very special team, and should be another 10+ win season. In spite of what Ute trolls will say, I think BYU has a legit shot at a BCS bowl with an 11-1 record, if the 1 loss is to a Top 10 team on the road.

Four AQ teams plus TCU, UCF and Hawaii is a great schedule for the first year of Independence. The top six teams on BYU's schedule are tougher than the top six teams on Utah's schedule.

117 days until the fun begins!

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 6:06 p.m.

What a surprise that wedgie and christina are the first two bloggers on another BYU article.

The fact that Bronco is filling up his depth chart with quality players at BYU's historically thinnest position has got them both scared silly, which is why they were so quick to launch into damage control mode on this one.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 9, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Speed and sunday school boys just don't mix:

Chris, you must have alot of speed.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 6:13 p.m.

@ CougFaninTX - "The top six teams on BYU's schedule are tougher than the top six teams on Utah's schedule." If true, what does this even matter? Last I checked, a season consists of all of the games on the schedule. Does it matter that I can beat a long distance runner in a 100 yard dash if the goal is to win a 25 mile marathon? Hardly. BYU's chance at a BCS bowl will be determined by BYU winning games regardless of who or what or where Utah plays. Just like it always has.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    May 9, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Sunday school boys beats speed and ex-Sunday school boys any day of the week. We like it that way.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 9, 2011 6:38 p.m.

1984 for life | 6:13 p.m. May 9, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    ====

What it means is the U of U has a schedule that doesn't matter...

BYU is the school in Utah that does matter...

Hedge, ChrisB, 1984forlife, Uteology, MarneRock, Dutchman, and the rest of the whiners...???

Do you want to respond? Does the U of U even matter to you kids????

Or....

Is it just BYU?

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 6:44 p.m.

"The top six teams on BYU's schedule are tougher than the top six teams on Utah's schedule. If true, what does this even matter?"

It matters because the first thing detractors are going to say is "Who did BYU play?" If BYU's record includes wins over Texas, Ole Miss, UCF, Utah, Oregon State, TCU and Hawaii, nobody is going to be able to argue that "BYU didn't play anybody".

The bottom 5 teams on BYU's schedule might keep an undefeated BYU team out of the BCS championship game, but they certainly won't keep a 12-0 or 11-1 BYU team out of a BCS bowl, especially with ESPN pulling the strings to create the most attractive matchups in the bowls ESPN televises.

The fact is, BYU only plays one or two more cupcakes than many of top AQ teams.

Florida: Florida Atlantic, UAB, Furman, Vanderbilt
    Alabama: Kent State, North Texas, Vanderbilt, Georgia Southern
    LSU: Northwestern State, Kentucky, Western Kentucky
    Georgia: Coastal Carolina, Vanderbilt, New Mexico State, Kentucky
    Ohio State: Akron, Toledo, Indiana
    Oklahoma: Tulsa, Ball State, Baylor, Iowa State

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 9, 2011 7:14 p.m.

re: nottyou | 6:22 p.m. May 9, 2011

• DC Alexandria, VA
    May 9, 2011 7:23 p.m.

Says a lot when the first two posts are from BYU obessers. Not so much Ute fans, just BYU haters.

So slow and a terrible team, yet BYU is somehow still competitive against Utah. Either Utah is also very bad or BYU is actually pretty good. And pretty good with a handicap to boot. Utah can recruit anyone from anywhere and still can't break away from BYU. So if BYU is slow and sucks, what does it say about an 10-2 Utah team that barely beat a 6-5 BYU team last year? At home? What it tells me is that Utah is in trouble in Provo this year, and that maybe, just maybe, BYU isn't as bad as the haters want them to be.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    May 9, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Wally West

"If A Collie were faster, he might not be the current poster boy for concussions?"

Say what?

Are you really that clueless that you would equate concussions to speed?

It really says alot about the desperation of the BYU-obsessed haters when they post such inane comments.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 9, 2011 7:30 p.m.

Mildred is write we just keep getting more and more loaded.

• satch Highland, UT
    May 9, 2011 7:56 p.m.

I was so glad to see Mike Hague switch to defense. When I saw him play in high school he was a great player, but the way he saw the field as a DB was amazing. He dominated the state finals game with his defense.

I don't know if that will equate to the college level, but when I saw him play that game (I was not a Brighton follower) I walked away thinking that guy could play in the NFL on defense. I hope I am right.

Finally I hope I am not seeing any Y fans on articles about the U that are there just to annoy. Some guys need to just grow up a little, mature, and enjoy life. While I enjoy following BYU, I never miss a U game either.

If all you do is wait to remark on a BYU article etc to be negative maybe you should get some counseling. There is much more to life than trying to irritate BYU fans.

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    May 9, 2011 8:04 p.m.

@ ChrisB

I lived in Utah County, ran a 4.4 and went to church every Sunday... just sayin'.

• onyx1950 West Jordan, UT
    May 9, 2011 8:16 p.m.

I ran a 4.3 and lived in Provo. I am a Sunday School Boy and proud of it.

• Wynn and lose Cougarville, Ut
    May 9, 2011 8:32 p.m.

Chris B:

I think 4.4 is how long it takes you to comment on BYU articles once they go to press.

I think the title of the article should be Utes trolls unusually deep on BYU fb articles.

Not only are the defensive backs getting faster, Bronco is also recruiting bigger guys, makes you wonder if we will see more 3-3-5 schemes.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 9, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Re: Chris B

Geez, all of those 4.9 corners sure did a good job of covering those athletic Utah receivers last year. They only put 17 points on the board!

• GJ Greenwood, IN
    May 9, 2011 9:06 p.m.

BYU's defensive backs don't have to be very fast when they play the Utes, since Jordon Wynn will throw the ball right to them.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 9:23 p.m.

What's interesting is that good DB's aren't essential if you've got a great pass rush. Just look at the 09' Minnesota Vikings. It doesn't matter how much faster the WR's are than the DB's if the QB has no time to throw the ball. If Pendleton, Van Noy, or even Kevinga can get one on one with the QB- GAVE OVER. BYU- W Other team- L. Don't believe me? Just ask Sam Bradford.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 9:55 p.m.

We are the best team in the nation. Why even play the season?

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 10:09 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas | 6:38 p.m. May 9, 2011
    Fruit Heights, UT

Wrong again. If you knew anything about the BCS you would want Utah, Texas, TCU and all of the other BCS conference schools on BYU's schedule to have difficult schedules and win all of their games other than the BYU game. Since BYU will take a hit playing all the WAC schools, they can still get a high BCS rating by beating the BCS conference schools on their schedule and hoping that those BCS conference schools they just beat win a lot of their games. That is the way the system works unfortunately.

• T-spoon West Jordan, UT
    May 9, 2011 10:25 p.m.

BYU will have a solid defense this year. The offense will be very good. It should be a really good year for the Cougars! Can't wait until the season starts!

Of course, the Ute trolls will interpret my comment incorrectly and say I said the Cougars will win the National Championship.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 9, 2011 10:33 p.m.

Re: flynn is the coolest

Agreed. The pass rush has to be there for the secodary to do their job. BYU is going to have a phenomenal front 7 this year. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily say that it is all in the pass rush either. A few of BYU's defensive backs have really not been given the credit they deserve the past few years. Brian Logan, Andrew Rich, Scott Johnson, even Ben Criddle and Corby Hodgkiss didn't get their due the way they should have at times. Those guys were smart playmakers who were also athletic enough to run with most receivers in the league. Andrew Rich and Brian Logan have already admitted that the up and comers right now in the BYU secondary legitimately have a chance to be better than they were. Maybe there is a chance that BYU can actually have a really solid pass defense to go with their usually strong run defense too!

Go Cougars!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 9, 2011 11:41 p.m.

Chris B + Hedgehog = sour dough
    BYU - Utah = BYU
    Utah x Pac i2 = 0
    Pac 12 divided by Utah = zero
    Utah + Utah = Weber
    Utah x Utah = Utah-squared

Just some simple math

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 10, 2011 9:08 a.m.

..."Do you want to respond? Does the U of U even matter to you kids????

Or....

Is it just BYU?

(BTW, this is a BYU story... if you respond, it shows you are just stalking BYU...)"...

@veritas aequitas... Dude, seriously? first you call out Utah fans, then you say if we respond we are stalking BYU? that is cowardly, just cowardly...

anyways, I just wanted to say good luck to BYU. I realize that most BYU fans have somewhat reasonable expectations. I realize that most BYU fans don't go out of their way to dis the Utes. The same is true of Ute fans... Just know that the people who are posting on these articles are most definately the exception and not the rule...

Go Utes!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    May 10, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Why would you recruit instate skill positions? Look at your history!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 10, 2011 9:34 a.m.

@ReasonableUte
    Amen brother!
    I am embarrassed by some of the BYU commenters / agitators as much as I am the ones from the BYU haters who pretend to be Ute fans(I would really be offended if I were a real Ute fan). I love BYU football and I like to watch the Utes play and win every game other than the BYU game. I don't get obsessed and let any game ruin my day because I have many other priorities in my life. It is a sad person who is so obsessed with their foe that they let it consume their lives and live to disrespect them. There are a few really pathetic people on these posts.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 10, 2011 9:41 a.m.

1984 for life | 6:13 p.m. May 9, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

I concede that the bottom six teams on BYU's schedule will be easier than the bottom six teams on the Utes schedule. But both BYU and Utah should be able to beat the bottom six teams on either of their schedules.

So the thing that will determine whether either team has a successful season is how they perform against the top six teams on their schedule. Ute trolls continue to take shots at the Cougs strength of schedule and I'm just pointing out that BYU's road to a 9 - 12 win season is more difficult than the Utes.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 10:03 a.m.

Having good DBs is very important to a defense. And, it is a difficult position to get very good at. The DBs have to be fast to cover those lightning-speed receivers (especially from the U of U ha ha!).

One of the reasons for Utah's success and Sugar Bowl victory and undefeated season in 2008 was because of excellent DBs - a few of which went to the NFL. That year Utah had an excellent pass rush, but even with that, blitzing was necessary and that meant man-to-man coverage in the defensive back was necessary. Man-to-man coverage is difficult and requires excellent DBs to do it. Utah had that, and thus their defense was fabulous.

It seems that BYU has always been lacking at DBs. Typically the Y has good linebackers and good defensive linemen, but questionable DBs. If BYU can have solid defensive backs, then the keys are there for an exceptionally solid defense. It might be interesting even for a U fan to watch and see how it pans out.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 10:33 a.m.

CougFaninTX | 9:41 a.m. May 10, 2011
    Frisco, TX

Exactly, because a WAC schedule is much more difficult that a PAC 12.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    May 10, 2011 10:39 a.m.

I hope these recruits pan out for BYU, but frankly they have a lot to prove. Two words: Florida State. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 10, 2011 10:57 a.m.

@Independent

Florida St. wasn't the db's fault. It was the horrible defensive scheme that gave FSU 5 yds uncontested underneath before any opposition. FSU simply kept taking 5 yds at a time until the db's had to come up to try and stop it and then FSU went deep.

I blame the coaches for that, plain and simple it was an awful defensive game plan.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    May 10, 2011 11:01 a.m.

@ Independent, for the FSU, Nevada, and USU games we had a mutiny going on on the defensive side of the team. Hill was very disgruntled for unknown reasons and at one point was throwing tantrums. He was even calling the same defensive coverage/scheme regardless of the situation for every play in the USU game. He was relieved immediately after that game. My point? Don't base too much if anything off of what you saw during the pre-Bronco run defense in 2010. Again, there was some big time internal problems that have been addressed.

Hopefully you'll see "it" at Ole Miss and at Texas and (especially) against the UofU. You'll see a lot more offense in the case of the latter.

Go Cougars.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:23 a.m.

reasonableUTE | 9:08 a.m. May 10, 2011
    Provo, UT
    ..."Do you want to respond? Does the U of U even matter to you kids????

Or....

Is it just BYU?

===

Cowardly?

LOL...

I called out the Whiney Ute trolls.

If YOU take that personally, then that's up to you.

I just can't see how you come up with cowardly.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:37 a.m.

1984 for life | 10:09 p.m. May 9, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Veritas Aequitas | 6:38 p.m. May 9, 2011
    Fruit Heights, UT

Wrong again. If you knew anything about the BCS...

===

Yawn...

Read my post again.

I swear, twisting and turning words.

The point is the obsession of so may Ute fans, they are not even worried about, nor do they care about, the U...

Just want to hate on BYU...

• Independent Henderson, NV
    May 10, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Duckhunter and Blue, I hope you're right. Like I say, I'll believe it when I see it.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Gotta love Ute Trolls still bitter about Collie. First he ran all over your "faster" DBs, caught the 4th & 18, said they were living right off the field, then went on to NFL success. It has to hurt. LOL

By the way... get over the "Magic Happens" comment. Kyle said it first in 05.

"I have no answer for it. There's got to be a flaw in the way we are practicing Monday through Friday, the way we're living our lives Monday through Friday. There's something wrong that we've got to get to the bottom of, so we can get that corrected. I don't have an answer right now. I wish I did. If I had an answer in previous weeks, I would have it corrected by now Something is going on that is preventing us from winning the fourth quarter....."

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Does ANYONE read articles on ute football?

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:43 p.m.

2011 schedule is not strong enough to get to a BCS bowl. You dont consider records, rankings, or SOS before opening your mouth. BYU will face at most two teams that will be ranked in top 25 in final Polls (Utah and/or TCU), so 12-0 is their only chance at the BCS, and thats if BSU doesnt go better than 11-1. Its a historical fact that BYU cant go undefeated if there is a ranked team on their schedule. An unranked 5-7 terrible Texas or 5-7 Ole miss team wont matter, especially to the computers. The bottom half of BYUs schedule will kill them in the computers. Did Iowa State or UCLA get credit for beating Texas last year? Oh, but I guess they played a real schedule, so why would anyone pay attention to their most pathetic victories?

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:43 p.m.

BYU -only team in college FB history to claim a NC title without beating a ranked team (and only claim to an NC without playing a ranked team in bowl). BYU's 1984 opponents' combined record was 0.46. No wonder the real 84 champ (UW) has a banner hanging in their stadium.

Enjoy the #1 ranking in 84 because times have changed. In 2008 Utah went 13-0 beating FOUR top 25 teams (2 top 10) in FINAL POLLS, and thats how you get the BCS. The most BYU has EVER beat is two in one season 1996 (and they got 10 wins that year) (the Utes also beat four in 1994).

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Crazy people, talking about a 50th ranked team coming off a 6-6 season, with a week schedule, no BCS history, no big wins, playing in the BCS as the first 11-1non AQ to ever make it? If a 11-1 non AQ makes it, it will be a team like BSU or TCU who have earned it. BYU fans act like they are part of the BCS bowl scene remember that it was Utah that won two BCS bowls, why do Cougar fans act like it was them? Why do they act like theyre in the club? TCU, Utah, BSU beat ranked teams to get to the BCS. BYU hangs their entire decade of the 2000s on beating 5-7 UNRANKED Oklahoma team in a preseason gamewow.

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:50 p.m.

I've got to give it to you all. Pretty optimistic coming of a 6-6 season with a QB ranked 98 out of 120 and still arguing about getting to the BCS. Remember the BCS has been around since 98. All the decent non aq's have been and won. But this is it! This is your year! You will go from 6-6 to 12-0, BSU and TCU will fall appart, Your 5-7 unranked Texas and 5-7 (never any good, not worth mentioning) Ole miss teams will all of a sudden be top 10 teams, you will beat Utah, and the BCS computers will change their formulas.

Yeah right.

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:51 p.m.

How are the great Pac12 Ute's" fans going to manage after losing to the Independent BYU Cougars on Sept 17th? BYU 34 UTAH 14.

BYU 11-1
    UTAH 5-7

It's not the conference it's the GAME.

Wynn LOL!

• ArticunoBYU Highland, UT
    May 10, 2011 2:52 p.m.

We are going to be awesome. We are a legit top 5 team, even with mostly sophomores/freshman. We are going to go to the BCS this year. Let that sink in cougar fans. We are going to go to the BCS! No longer will the Ute "fans" be able to be mean to us!

Jake Heaps was on the cover of a magazine! Was Wynnie? Nope! lol!

Bronco has said that this team is the best he has ever coached. He is super excited for the season and we are going to beat everyone in our path. Think about this cougar fans. If we play to our best, we can not be beat. We are better then everyone on our schedule.

Hey Ute fans! Go back to your articles! 3 of 5! Hey-oh!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 10, 2011 2:55 p.m.

Cougarista:

We don't read tabloids. Sometimes I read the Hedge report or Chris files, but over all I find the Cougar reports to have the most substance.

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2011 3:00 p.m.

Cougarista | 2:28 p.m. May 10, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Does ANYONE read articles on ute football?

Why would anyone read an article about the Utes? The Basketball team is terrible and the football is dropping like the Jazz. Nobody cares about them outside little SLC. Oh, there is the Gymnastic team, now they are good. 

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 10, 2011 3:24 p.m.

@forreal people

Gee whiz gomer you sure convinced me.

LOL

• T-spoon West Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2011 3:33 p.m.

Reasonable Ute:

I hear you. There are fans from both sides that have ridiculous posts. I mean, look at "forreal people". He even has an 8-5 (bowl winning as well) Oklahoma team listed as 5-7, lol!

As a Reasonable Ute, what is your prediction for the Utes record this season? Just curious to hear a "reasonable prediction". As for me, my reasonable cougar opinion says 8 or 9 wins for the Cougs.

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 3:45 p.m.

Duckhunter,

I supose you think BYU's 1984 13-0 vs unranked teams with losing records was a bigger accomplishement than Utah's 2008 13-0 vs. a better schedule than BYU has ever faced?

You know, it's a fact that the ute's 2008 schedule was tougher than not only BYU's 1984 schedule, but any shedule BYU has ever played. I'll say it again, it's a fact.

The only way to argue against the fact that byu's toughest year ever (1996) was a week schedule compared to Ute's 2008 schedule would be to ingore college football rankings. But if you do that, then what about BYU's #1 rank in 84?

In 1996 BYU played three ranked teams, beat two of them, and lost to one unranked. Making the record agains ranked teams 2-1 and an overall record of 11-2 - BYU's best season ever. Utah has had two beter seasons: 1994 (#10 final polls), 4-0 vs ranked teams, 11-2 overall. 2008 (#2 final polls), 4-0 vs ranked teams and 13-0 overall.

But I'm sure your good at brain washing yourself.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 10, 2011 3:45 p.m.

"As for me, my reasonable cougar opinion says 8 or 9 wins for the Cougs."

You're selling the Cougs short. 10 or 11 wins is more likely the result you'll see. I recently saw that Uona Kaveinga was named to the all-Spring practice team on Rivals and he is hungry for some Ute meat.

Bronco says that this is the most talented team he has ever coached. I trust Bronco's judgement that a 10 or 11 win team is the bar.

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 3:52 p.m.

T-spoon. Your right about the Oklahoma team. My bad. Still and unranked team though. But to call the post "rediculous" because of that? What about all the good info that is in there. Texas and Ole Miss were not 5-7, unranked teams last year? Please Dig further into the posts. I would love to see you try to prove me wrong about the numbers. You've done good so far, but brain washing yourself and calling facts that I looked up online "rediculous" does'nt make sense.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 10, 2011 3:54 p.m.

forreal people should get real. If BYU is such an over-rated school, then why do you feel compelled to read and comment and comment and comment and comment on a BYU article? Maybe if you keep posting ad nauseum, you'll finally convince yourself!

• T-spoon West Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Hondo:

I would not be surprised to see BYU win 10 or 11, not to worry :) I'm just being conservative.

forreal people:

Lol, opinion is not fact. Even the overall record you listed is incorrect. The Cougars went 14-1, not 11-2. Also, they ended up ranked #5 in the nation. #5 beats #10 by the way.

The Utes had a good run in 2008 for sure, and believe me I was happy they slammed Alabama. My hat's off to them.

Doubt you could say something nice about the cougars.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:04 p.m.

@forreal people

Actually BYU won 14 games in 1996. They were the first team ever to do so in one season- and beat KSU in the Cotton Bowl with a final record of 14-1.

I'm assuming this 'football thing' is a new concept, so let me elucidate. If you think Texas and Ole Miss will be pushovers in 11', you're mistaken. Utah's best players wouldn't even dress for game day at Texas (BYU players as well). They're as deep as any team. As for the 'never any good' Ole Miss, they were the only blemish on Florida's NC the year Utah went to the Sugar Bowl. I think my assumption is pretty good.

• Target Provo, Utah
    May 10, 2011 4:06 p.m.

forreal people

Your insecurities are showing....

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:07 p.m.

forreal people

BYU -only team in Utah FB history to claim a NC title.

Jealous much?

• T-spoon West Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:10 p.m.

By the way forreal, I wasn't singling you out as a ridiculous post, that was a general statement.

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:22 p.m.

In stitches,

Because it's fun for me to post and read the responses. I don't feel BYU is over rated. I do feel that they did not deserve to be No.1 in 1984, and that if it were now, they would have no shot at the title game because people care too much about SOS and so do the computers.

I think BYU is a great football team and I'm very interested because I'm obsessed with Utah football and they are the arch rival. So I like to tear them down as much as I can. BYU can beat Utah any time, any where... always a threat for the Ute's.

I do get a little frustrated with what I percieve to be THEIR FANS over rating them. Like now, and last preseason. Such high expectations seem a little suspiciouse to me, as if some of the fans don't pay attention to reallity-at all.

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:22 p.m.

In stitches,

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:28 p.m.

@ Katiebugg,

Of course I'm jealous of that. Just like BYU fans are jealous of the two BCS banners hanging in RES, and the PAC-12 invite. If I wasn't jealous, I would not be ripping into the 84 title. If the Ute's didn't get ripped twice, I would not be trashing on the BYU 84 title.

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:32 p.m.

You are right forreal.... ALL of the teams BYU beat were terrible. Texas, Ole Miss will both win maybe 3 games combined. They have maybe the weakest schedule in the country. I thought OU went like 1-10 when BYU beat them. I know clueless people will post that they were 8-5, but we know the truth.

So what if the 09 OU team lost to #17 Miami by 1, #3 Texas by 3 and Nebraska by 7 with maybe the most dominant D-Lineman in the last decade... oh ya... who cares that Bradford, the best player in college that year was out most of the year. Yep... that team was terrible. You can tell by all the players drafted in the NFL.

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    May 10, 2011 4:49 p.m.

BYU always recrutes well for DB's. In fact, I would say the majority of their team have been DB's at one time or another or are currently DB's. Theres no doubt that Bronco and his staff were great DB's in their day and most of them still are.

You have to give credit where credit is due. I would say this year BYU has the biggest and best group of DB's this state has ever seen. It's no wonder BYU had a hard time scheduling games for this year. Who in their right mind would want to play a bunch of DB's like the ones down at BYU this year. With BYU's DB's on the field and a bunch of DB's on the sidelines backing them up there's no doubt BYU could have the best defense in the Independant ranks.

It's going to be interesing to see how those DB's down at BYU do this year and in the future. I can't wait!

Go Cougars!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 10, 2011 6:14 p.m.

@forreal people

Well I thought you had me convinced after the 1st 10 posts but now there is just no denying your overwhelming list of "facts".

I now see 1984, 2004, and 2008 in a whole new light. You might even have turned me into a ute "fan". I can'r believe I spent all these years thinking a national chmapionship was better than 2nd, or 4th, place. Finally someone came along that could set me straight.

I think there is very little doubt our utes are going to go at least 12-1 this season with wins in the pac10 championship game and the Rose Bowl. Then of course we'll finish #2 which is way better than #1 anyway (I learned that today)and then we can hop on all the BYU articles and really prove to those Cougar dummies how dumb they are by posting 24 posts in a row of nothing but the "facts".

I can't wait. It's a great day to be a ute!

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    May 10, 2011 9:24 p.m.

Dear Kristy;

I go to church, I served a mission, I have a NC ring and two SB rings...I guess my speed was OK.

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    May 10, 2011 9:38 p.m.

Wow, there's a new BYU hater in town who's giving ole Chrissy and wedgie a real good run for their money. C'mon guys, step it up and meet the challenge!

Just FYI, if you think these pre season articles about how good a team is (last year we heard the same things about how good the team was and how they were more athletic than former BYU teams), then the way to stop them is to stop commenting on the articles. As long as these sports articles garner the most replies, the desnews will continue to publish them. So, if you don't like it, ignore them and maybe they'll go away.

BTW, as annoying as obvious BYU haters are, I have to say that you're a lot better than the posers (i.e., the obvious posters who pretend to be BYU fans over exuding ignorant confidence). Except for Ernest T. Bass. As the first such poser, he holds a special place (though his posings aren't nearly as good lately). You feeling well, Ernest?

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    May 11, 2011 12:59 a.m.

If there was ever an "achilles tendon" (no pun intended), in BYU's long football history, it's the DB position.
    They need to get a real core of screaming fast and high leaping DBs to complete the team, or they will still fall short of completing a season of greatness.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 11, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Cali Coug

Now you have me wondering who you are!!! I may have to ask around next time I'm in Visalia.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 11, 2011 1:06 p.m.

@T-spoon

sorry, but I don't make predictions based on info I don't have. I am almost positive they wont be going to a rose bowl, I suppose its possible, but I don't think so. The byu game is a toss-up as usual. If I had to guess, I would say the utes end up with three losses, possibly 4. I think they will be good enough to beat anyone on their schedule, but they won't win em' all, so I say 3 or 4 loss season.