Cougar corner: Y. hoops attendance biggest increase in nation

Comments

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    April 27, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Wow,what will the trolls think about this? I am biting my nails in anticipation.

They had so much to say about ESPN and a possible bowl game. What wisdom will they regale us with today?

BYU is rising in almost every single category. All around the country the vast majority of people are aware of BYU, their programs and even some of their challenges. What's better, (outside of our resident trolls on this board)most people have positive impressions of BYU! I remember well, when more ill was spoken then good, but now almost everything I read (from coast to coast) has BYU gaining ground.

And just in case you were wondering...

Nope. I still, couldn't care less about the PAC 10's junior members.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    April 27, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Oh yeah,

I would still rather be independent.
    I would still rather play in the WCC.
    I would still rather have my own deal with ESPN.
    I would still rather have my 1984 National Championship Trophy.
    I would still rather have had the chance to see Jimmer play.
    I would still rather have my attendance at BYU's events.

than be U.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 27, 2011 12:52 p.m.

UNLV is putting together a strong basketball staff.

Sort of what I had hoped Utah would have done getting ready for the PAC-12.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    April 27, 2011 1:15 p.m.

BYU is taking charge here. I see a lot of momentum built up with the whole Jimmer-riffic season we just had. It's not like the cupboard is bare. If anything, I see this as an opportunity for the Cougs to show that they are not a one-hit wonder.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    April 27, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Typical BYU...always trying to grab the headlines.

Didn't Utah Basketball grab some headlines this year too? Don't they deserve a little more exposure as well?

I'm sure Squeegee and Krissy will make up for the media void.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    April 27, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Woooooo!!! Nothing like being comapared to the top programs in the nation. Way to go fan base! Of course that is a great indicator of a team that wins and wins often!!!

Can't wait for this fan base to show it's enthusiams across the nation. Go Cougs!

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    April 27, 2011 5:11 p.m.

Not really that important, but BYUs winning percentage in SLC was 100% (which includes delta center contests). utahs? Not even worth calculating.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 27, 2011 7:41 p.m.

7 of 7 comments all referencing the Utes.

Thanks little bro. We'll send you a PAC12 postcard inwhich you can live vcariously through.

Chow.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    April 27, 2011 8:30 p.m.

And Hedgie you just could not resist commenting on another BYU article. Big fan you are.

Tennessee better look out. BYU is not far behind and another year will have BYU with an even larger fan base.

Go Cougars.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    April 27, 2011 11:30 p.m.

hedge:

if you weren't trolling a BYU article you wouldn't know these comments existed.

Kind of like the age old philisophical question: "If the Utes lose to Oral Roberts, CSU and Air Force at the HC in front of 15000 empty red chairs, and no one sees it, did they really lose those games?"

You're accusong Y fans of Living vicariously through their rival? The only reason anyone knows you're alive is because of your comments on BYU articles.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 27, 2011 11:33 p.m.

@notty0u
    You sort of got that right...what utey's hate worst to admit is that BYU does get a lot more of the starry bannered headlines for it's sports programs. That's always been a problem for utey's...and always will be. I liked how Veritas Aquitas summed up utey obsession with joining the PAC in the blog acompanying the related Utah article. One utey fan ranted on about leaving behind places like Laramie, Wyoming, Ft Collins, Colorado and Albuquerque, New Mexico. He simply said "Dude... to the other 10 PAC teams...you just became their Laramie." Gotta be one of the best top 5 comebacks so far in any of the Utah related PAC discussions. And as usual we find our little buddy Hedgie still miserably camped out on the edge of the Great Black Swamp up near Ann Arbor again utey tooting "No Joy" in uteyville.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    April 28, 2011 4:10 a.m.

BYU is no longer part of the MWC................so who cares???

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    April 28, 2011 8:56 a.m.

BYU's "Increase" in Attendance This Year, was Larger than Utah's Total Average Attendance.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 28, 2011 8:59 a.m.

@ honorCode

Apparently you still care. And BYU nation appreciates you.

BYU will have an excellent Basketball team next year. They will have a less experienced but very talented guard lineup and will have an excellent front court. They should be deep enough to play 8 or 9 in their rotation and should be back in the NCAA tournament. They have some excellent recruits on their radar. They have raised themselves a notch this year and should stay there now.
    Great time to be a Cougar fan.

• Chickenhunter Provo, Ut
    April 28, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Get lost U trolls! Didn't you see Jimmer complete our QUest for Perfection?! We are on a different plane now.

Do do do do Cant touch this!!!

• UC Baller Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2011 12:16 p.m.

My team is from out of State...but a simple observation...

BYU fans...where were you the last 7 years when I moved here? Can you say bangwagon fans? We all like a winner, but easy on the "we are the greatest fan base" comments when I would take my 3 year old to a game and it would be 3/4 empty not too long ago. Bandwagon defines BYU Basketball. Everyone knows the BYU fans are fickle and are the best stagecoach drivers in the land.

Utah. Poor Utah. You want deperately to even get a glipse of a bandwagon so you can not drive it like BYU fans, but just get the chance to ride on it. No local players, bad schemes, poor record, boring bball, etc. I sure hope both teams rise and be the best teams in thier conferences like in football. It just makes things fun.

I think the WCC will get boring real fast; and Utah Coack K will turn it around, but not to the top. We need to face the fact that football will dominate a lukewarm basketball project for both schools for the next several years.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 28, 2011 12:39 p.m.

UC Baller

"when I would take my 3 year old to a game and it would be 3/4 empty not too long ago... I think the WCC will get boring real fast"

Your analysis is way off and smacks off out-of-state homerism.

I've been to most of BYU's home basketball games during the Dave Rose era and except for an occassional late-December game after the students had left, the Marriott Center has never been 3/4 empty during the last six years.

The WCC will be different, but there are some very good teams in the WCC and Rose is already beefing up his non-conference schedule to compensate for the WCC not being as strong as the MWC. BYU will continue to make annual trips to the Big Dance and, as long as Dave Rose is BYU's head coach, BYU basketball will continue to be exciting.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 28, 2011 2:23 p.m.

Get lost U trolls! Didn't you see Jimmer complete our QUest for Perfection?!

What does perfection mean? Must have everything to do with morality and not performance on the court.

let's review
    1. Did not win out right the MWC
    2 Did not win the MWC tournement
    3 Did not win the sweet 16 game
    4 Did not win the elite 8 game
    5. Did not win the final four
    6. Did not win the NCAA championship

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2011 4:05 p.m.

Honor Code | 4:10 a.m. April 28, 2011

MWC teams care about BYU although the reverse is not true! They diss BYU, pout and threaten (very childish) not to schedule games until they look at the draw BYU has. The MWC will sink even lower without TCU, BYU and Utah. Bye, bye, er...ah, what was your name? Oh yes, MWC.

• Chickenhunter Provo, Ut
    April 28, 2011 4:12 p.m.

hedge- Jimmer made the nation fall in love with BYU again. He did more for college sports around here than anyone in recent memory. He single handedly packed the marriot center. It was awesome. To bad you didn't see it. Perhaps if you had been there you would understand and be a fan of Jimmer and BYU!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 28, 2011 5:35 p.m.

"Jimmer made the nation fall in love with BYU again"

I smell a T-shirt!

• UC Baller Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2011 6:45 p.m.

umm at True Blue 12:39

I wreak of sarcasm because what I stated are facts. Truth hurts. I bet you were wearing a Duke shirt then switched to BYU once they started winning (but not advancing in the Tourney). I like BYU but guys like you are hilarious. Try these facts on for size.

Facts:
    BYU Attendance
    (BYU ticket office even stated these are tickets sold, and the average attendance was 5-8% off of that as some season ticket holders didnt attend. So this is # is the highest they would be):
    2000--8,300 (not in Top 25 in the Country)
    2001--6800 (same)
    2002-- 8119 (same)
    2003-14,468

2004-15,300
    2005--under 10,000 again
    2006--under 10,000 again
    2007-under 10,000 again
    2008--13,518
    2009--13,383
    2010---14,029
    2011--18,714

NCAA.org

Facts are, maybe 3/4 empy was a little off. So seeing how the MCenter holds 22,700...Average is well below half full. Dave Rose era or not. Bandwagon fans-like you True Blue, need to leave your spurs and horse whip at home.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    April 28, 2011 10:41 p.m.

To Hedgy...

For a school to live vicariously through another team...that team has to be dead...

So for BYU to live vicarioulsy through the U., then the U must be dead...finally we both agree...

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 29, 2011 1:47 a.m.

@UC Baller

And yet, ironically, that average attendance at BYU bball games over the last 12 years (which, according to my brief calculations and figuring around 9000 for the '05-'07 years, is a little under 12,000 a year) is still a higher number than the number of seats in more than half of the basketball stadiums around the country...and those stadiums are having trouble putting butts in the seats.

So in a country where football is king, I'd say BYU fans do a pretty dang good job representing their basketball team.

• UC Baller Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2011 5:14 p.m.

@ TrueBlue

true, I will agree that BYU fans do support the teams... but only when BYU wins. My point was/is that the MC is on average half empty. Numbers are numbers. Ask my buddy Jared Jensen how he liked playing in front a 2/3 empty arena.

Now, people would think that if you dont have a winning product people wont go. But if you look at the Top teams in the Top 25 in college basketball attendance, these teams have people show up no matter what. Like SEC football, the Packers, the Trailblazers, etc.

So the comment posted that BYU has "the greatest fan base ever" is way off. That was my point. There are the diehard BYU fans that I love and respect. But most BYU fans are known as being bandwagon fans, and wont part with the mighty dollar unless they can feel like they are a "part" of something. Whereas in other parts of the country, people buy season tickets on credit cards and slowly pay it off if they cant afford it because they are going no matter what.

Are you a season ticket holder in both football and bball?

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    April 30, 2011 11:27 a.m.

hedgehog | 2:23 p.m. April 28, 2011

5. Did get an NCAA Tournament invitation for the 5th consecutive year
    6. Did have the national player of the year
    7. Did beat Utah for the 9th consecutive time
    8. Did have the 6th highest average attendance in the country
    9. Did have the biggest increase in attendance in the country
    10.Did have the biggest national following in the country

Few programs in the country can compare - certainly not your Utes.