Faith

Cougar Nation: Mormon missions help players prepare for football and life

Comments

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    April 20, 2011 3:56 p.m.

I don't think Alisa paid too much attention in Geography class if he took one.

Great to hear many are back and will be contributing immediately.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 3:59 p.m.

They leave slow, white, and unathletic.

They come back slow, white, and unathletic. You'll never hear me complaining about the mission boys being older. Still aren't athletes.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 4:05 p.m.

If BYU does well it's the "unfair" advantage of returned missionaries. When BYU does poorly it's because of the "old men" returned missionaries. Coaches often look for reasons outside of their own team to rationalize defeat. If other teams really believed their own complaining they could send their players to the Peace Corps or VISTA for two years.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    April 20, 2011 4:18 p.m.

LOL Chris B

How many returned missionaries play for the Utes? Oh, I forgot, those are all the fast, athletic missionaries.

Thats actually how BYU and Utah decide who goes where... if you run a 4.4 40 and have skills you go to Utah after the mish... if you are slow, they send you down to Provo. No one "chooses" to go to BYU.

Its all making sense now. Thanks Chris B.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    April 20, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Then we have ChrisB who is just...slow.

• IDC Boise, ID
    April 20, 2011 4:54 p.m.

Several of those names are familiar to me from 2 years ago. Hopefully a bunch of them can contribute this year. Go Cougs!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 5:05 p.m.

My mission helped me realize how transient and unimportant athletics is in the long run of life. I enjoyed running still but finishing my degrees, serving my fellow man and raising my family became so much more important. I love those who can continue to enjoy athletic pursuits. But after serving even they have a greater perspective on life. I would certainly recommend Peace Corp, Inner City service or something along those lines for those that don't have the opportunity or desire to serve a mission. Two years of learning to get outside your self can do a lot for your world view. It even makes slow, white, fast, Asian, handicapped, athletic, short, Samoan, tall, unathletic, black, Russian, genius, talented, female, intelligent, and computer trolls better people.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    April 20, 2011 5:11 p.m.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    April 20, 2011 5:28 p.m.

This is a good article, a mission will help anyone be better prepared for the rest of their life. For football I guess it could? I think most Elders come home out of shape. You only get a half hour slotted everyday to workout and most dont. Some do all they can with the time they get like Austin Collie did reading about when he returned. There were a couple byu players that were in my mission and know they came home out of shape. If there is one peron on the roster who worked out hard after their mission its Mike Hauge. I read the article on him losing that weight to play safety. He was super nice kid, we talked a couple times when we were both at the MTC.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    April 20, 2011 7:50 p.m.

I remember years ago when Lavell Edwards spoke in General Priesthood Meeting and said "Boys (young men) who play football well prior to serving a mission usually have the ability to play well after their mission. Those who don't play well prior to serving a mission generally won't be able to play well after their mission, either." (Or words to that effect.) The whole place erupted in laughter. They were waiting tounge-in-cheek for him to say that serving a mission would result in suddenly becoming a great athlete even if one had little potential prior to serving. It as pretty hilarious.

Those coaches who say BYU has an advantage by having older players that have served missions ought to look at such things at whether they are subsequently married and whether or not they like to "party," drink and chase girls for expected physical favors. Why is it that some of those other schools have to constantly worry about players being arrested, skipping class, or stealing/cheating, etc? Isn't it a bit disingenuous to then say that RM's are an advantage because of their "age?" Never mind the differences in behavior, I guess.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    April 21, 2011 6:10 a.m.

The Mission experience does absolutely nothing to prepare for football. Either you're a player or you're not. You may be 2 years older, which can be an advantage to some, but it doesn't make you better. You still have to play.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    April 21, 2011 7:08 a.m.

So does the letter writing from the " big brothers " continue while their missionary little brothers are out in the field ?

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    April 21, 2011 7:31 a.m.

I didn't know playing football was the ultimate goal of the returned missionary.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    April 21, 2011 9:00 a.m.

It continues to amaze me how articles such as this try to always bring the Church into other area of life. Such as "Mormons in the NFL", "Mormons in the NCAA Tournament", etc.. So what! A mission is a wonderful growing experience for an individual and their family. Period. Football is football. Period. I don't see how the two are related.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    April 21, 2011 9:02 a.m.

I find it refreshing to hear these young men tell you about all of the positive things that happened to them while doing what they thought right. One of the most important attributes that these young returned with was not an increase in football talents, but as I see it, the confidence to tell the world how good it is. I don't see any of the comments refering to how great they are in football, but, rather, the way they grew in the love for mankind.

The u, aggies and many other programs have many return missionaries. they certainly don't go to just the Y.

It was a great article, perhaps not really a sports genre.

Go aggies with all your rm's.

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    April 21, 2011 9:15 a.m.

JRJ said, "I no longer make comments because everything comes back unacceptable. Trouble is, where is the list telling you what is acceptable? I don't "tear" into anybody, just reasonable comments. So can somebody tell me where the web site is with the rules on it?"

Don't take it personal, JRJ. The censors at DNews have it out for me too. At least 80% of my comments are rejected and I rarely say anything controversial. My worst comments are tame compared to the norm for many of the Ute fans on here. I finally just gave up and, with this exception, no longer comment on anything.

My guess is that the censors at DNews are a bunch of Ute fans.

• AggiesAlltheWay No.Logan, utah
    April 21, 2011 9:27 a.m.

My original comment was unaccepted as well. Just change the title of the Article to "Mormon Mission Trips Help Players Prepare for BYU Football and Life"

There are many other RM's that play and will return to play for other teams as well.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    April 21, 2011 10:28 a.m.

Chris B

Yep, you got it just right. All BYU players are slow, nonathletic, oh and of course (the ever sly racist implying quip)white.

Yep, always have been, never going to change. You said it, it must be true.

The problem with your comments is that you just carpet bomb a negative aspect and want to apply it to the entire team or the school. this makes your comment have no merit.

So if I can find...
    one fast guy,
    one athletic guy,
    and one non-white guy
    to prove you wrong,

will you go away and stop posting on BYU articles?

• Lowell Chad Tempe, AZ
    April 21, 2011 3:40 p.m.

Is Heaps still going on a mission?

• Marrion Barry provo, Ut
    April 21, 2011 3:52 p.m.

Cougar nation. After watching Cougar Town I'll never hear the word Cougar the same. Cougar nation indeed.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 7:30 p.m.

Starfarer, Daniel Sorensen said so himself that byu was "a bunch of whiteboys". so there is nothing "sly" or "racist" about what Chris B said.