Larry Krystkowiak hired as Utah's new basketball coach

Comments

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    April 3, 2011 7:30 a.m.

I've tried, but I can't get Dave Rose out of Larry Krystkowiak! Sorry Hedgehog, I guess your source's are not what they used to be....or not what you ever dreamed they would be.

• Bleeding Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Wait a minute: This can't be right. Hedgehog and Chris B. assured us that Dave Rose was the next coach for Utah. This announcement must be wrong.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    April 3, 2011 7:43 a.m.

This guy sounds good. Hope he works out for the U, they need it.

Also, all of those posting ie. HH and CB, your rose garden just took a hit, hmmmmm, contract not signed hmmm, final four hmmm, Hill and Rose no coincidence hmmm.

• Rock Chalk BYU Lawrence, KS
    April 3, 2011 8:07 a.m.

Hold on, I'm so confused. I had marked it down that Dave Rose was going to be the coach, based on some inside sources with reliable information. Even worse, it turns out that after looking at my calendar, I had marked down BYU as being 0-31 this year. I guess there are some sources I shouldn't pay attention to anymore.

However, as for Coach Krystkowiak, congratulations on the hire! I hope you do a great job. The Utes are one of the winningest bball programs in the nation, and this past year is over, a new year is ahead, with a new league, best of luck!

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    April 3, 2011 8:20 a.m.

OUCH!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 3, 2011 8:28 a.m.

So wedgie did "dr. chris hill" get "whoever he wants"?

That said it is a good thing this soap opera is over. utah has a hard task rebuilding this program and becoming competitive in their new league. Hopefully Krystkowiak can get it done so that our state will be well represented. This dragged on far to long with hill wasting time trying to pursue coaches that obviously didn't want the job. There is no doubt he had to settle for something other than what he wanted but that doesn't mean it will be bad.

BYU had to settle for Bronco a few years ago when Whittingham decided to stay at utah and you won't find very many BYU fans that are disappointed in how that turned out.

I really do hope he can get it done.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    April 3, 2011 8:44 a.m.

Good luck coach.

Go Utes!

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    April 3, 2011 8:52 a.m.

What happened to Dave Rose? Oh well, this hire is still the coup of the century.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Krystkowiak?

Then why not just give Boylen two more years and let him work out his contract?

I see this as a down grade, not an umpgrade.

Now we pay Boylen, and the guy Utah turned down to take Bowlen.

Krystkowiak is taking a chance.

Tommy Connor and Alex Jensen would both have been better chances to take. I think this choice tells us neither wanted the job, or that Chris Hill thinks he knows too much.

However, the choice has been made. We weill see how it turns out.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Somebody had to take the job. I was even contacted twice.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    April 3, 2011 9:15 a.m.

This was a "super" hire. I have not been a fan of Utah basketball since Majerus left and quite frankly support USU, but I could see myself supporting Utah now that they have a coach I like. If only I could handle the bias of the media and ridiculous Utah fans, being a Utah native in retirement years I can see myself rooting for the new coach and his future!

• MESOUTE Karchaj, A.V.
    April 3, 2011 9:16 a.m.

"Respectufully, I cannot." Said Gottfried. To me this sounds like a man who is not bitter at being rejected, rather gracefully responding after rejecting the suitor. Translation, Utah didn't want to pay me enough.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Extremely disappointing!

Larry Krystkowiak is the safe pick for Dr. Hill, but Tommy Connor would have been the better pick.

• BaneOfHedgehog Bothell, WA
    April 3, 2011 9:18 a.m.

To quote Herman's Hermits... "2nd verse... same as the first!"

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:22 a.m.

Congratulations Utes, you finally have a coach that's worthy to the cause!

And hedgie... I know this is "soul crushing" to you but somehow... I know you'll get over the fact that Dave Rose personally disappointed you.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:27 a.m.

Larry K. is not my top choice, but I guess I have to accept this and hope for the best. I hope there is something Chris Hill sees in him that I don't.

As I have said before, I believe this is Chris Hill's last opportunity to save his job. If this coaching decision goes like the previous two, I believe he will retire or be forced to move on.

Welcome back to Utah Coach and good luck.

• onyx1950 West Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:31 a.m.

No Larry No. It is a big mistake. What a train reck. I hope you are able to turn it around. Good luck

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:37 a.m.

Krystkowiak began his coaching career in 1998 as an assistant to Don Holst at his alma mater, the University of Montana. He coached at Montana until 2000 when he left to join Old Dominion as an assistant under former Griz head coach Blaine Taylor.

He spent one season (20012002) at Old Dominion.

Head coach with the CBA's Idaho Stampede in 2003-04.

Head men's basketball coach at the University of Montana in May 2004.

In June, 2006, Krystkowiak left Montana to take a job as an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks, under Terry Stotts.

He was named head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks on March 14, 2007.

On April 17, 2008, Krystkowiak was fired as Milwaukee Bucks head coach after 100 games.

In July of 2010, Krystkowiak joined a strong New Jersey Nets coaching staff.

The guy's a nomad who hasn't stayed anywhere longer than two years since he started coaching.

• Newbie South Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:43 a.m.

It's too bad Chris Hill was too afraid to even consider Tommy Connor for the job. Krystkowiak will either drive this program even further into the ground, or use it as a springboard assuming he has any success at all. He has no ties to the program. Here's to finding another coach in 3 to 4 years.

• whoisjohngalt Holladay, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:49 a.m.

HA HA!

• TMung99 Bluffdale, Utah
    April 3, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Dave Rose?

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 3, 2011 10:09 a.m.

How do we pronounce his last name. Oh, Coach K #2. Good luck.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 3, 2011 10:14 a.m.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    April 3, 2011 10:15 a.m.

Lets see...

Bennett...nope
    Kruger...nope
    Rose...nope
    Rice...nope
    Morrell...nope
    Howdy Doody...nope

Krystkowisk...Oh, I guess...

There is an old saying...

goof up once, shame on you...
    goof up twice, shame on me...
    goof up three times, shame on my boss for not letting me go...

Utah supporters make sure Chris Hill only gives yearly contracts so the buy out won't be so bad...

Maybe the problem really isn't on the gym floor.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 3, 2011 10:17 a.m.

New Jockey...but the dead horse hasn't been loaded on the rendering truck yet. Just the saddle, bridle and blanket salvaged. All I can say is good luck finding another horse to ride. Just changing the name on the head coaches door, his letterhead and in the school directory is going to cost a fortune. The Trib and the DNews will need another type key setter as well.

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    April 3, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Great hire, he will not disapoint we Ute fans need to be patient as they rebuild. I liked Krystkowiak as a player, to bad he had a bum knee, and I think he is a better coach.

I still think they should have went after Jerry:)But Larry sounds almost the same.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 10:29 a.m.

So this is the kind of hiring coup we can expect from the U now that they're in the PAC 12?

Reality has dawned on the hill this morning.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 3, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Mesquite:

Former Alabama coach Mark Gottfried was also in the pool of candidates believed to be finalists for the job. However, he declined to comment on the situation when contacted Saturday.

"Respectfully I cannot," Gottfried said via text message. "Sorry."

===

Translation: when asked by a reporter to comment -- no comment.

• eagle Provo, UT
    April 3, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Why not Larry Brown if we're going the NBA route? He is a proven winner at both the college level and the professional level. I think he's the only coach that won a NBA and NCAA championship and took two separate college programs to the final four.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    April 3, 2011 11:14 a.m.

To the Utah fans who fear that Larry Krystkowiak is Jim Boylen 2.0 you are incorrect. Jim Boylen is Larry Krystkowiak 2.0. It just got worse.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    April 3, 2011 11:37 a.m.

"I'm glad the Utes didn't go with some local stiff like Tommy Connor. The Utes get a Nationally recognized coach who's played and coached in the NBA...key for attracting high level (National) talent."

bwahahahaha!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 3, 2011 11:39 a.m.

hedgehog | 10:14 a.m. April 3, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ===

Hear that Dr. Hill.

You and Hedge are both thinking alike.

Doesn't that just make you all giddy inside?

Great time to be a Ute?

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 3, 2011 11:51 a.m.

hedgehog

"The Utes get a Nationally recognized coach... key for attracting high level (National) talent."

Record as a college head coach:
    2004-2005 - 18-13
    2005-2006 - 24-7
    Overall - 42-20

Record as an NBA head coach:
    2006-2007 - 5-13
    2007-2008 - 26-56
    Overall - 31-69

NBA coaching highlight: fired as Milwaukee Bucks head coach after 100 games

Overall record as a head coach: 73-89

"Nationally recognized" coach???

• Glenn A. Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Krystkowiack is an interesting hire. He's had some decent success as a head man at some low-profile sites (Montana, CBA). He failed as a head man in the NBA, but that's pretty common for college coaches jumping up to that level. In no way does that signify he can't go back to college and have success.

Ultimately, I think Krystkowiack has an solid amount of coaching diversity. He's also relatively young which could pay dividends with recruits. He's not necessarily the home-run we Ute fans wanted, but he's intriguing enough to spark my interest.

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Boylen, a former NBA Assistant, 69-60 as a Head Coach at Utah.

Krystkowiak, a former NBA Assistant, 31-69 as a Head NBA Coach, currently an NBA Assistant on a 23-52 New Jersey Nets team.

It makes sense to fire Boylen to go with Krystkowiak?

The Utes are on the hook for Boylen's golden parachute.

Was the Krystkowiak hire money driven?

Will his record resonate with potential donors?

Will recruits want to play for him?

Will fans get on board?

Will current players be inspired to play for him?

Will he be able to win with the current players?

If this hire works out, Hill will be seen as a genius.

• Utiesrsocute Murray, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:12 p.m.

Hedgie,

I'm just glad to finally see you on a Ute article. Even though your still wrong, no reason to throw Tommy Connor under the bus. In my opinion, the better choice.

Good Luck

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 3, 2011 12:20 p.m.

A guy like Tommy Conners might know his way around outskirts like Tooele and Fruit Heights, but the Utes needed a more sophisticated coach/recruiter for the PAC12.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:22 p.m.

In the voice of Nelson from the Simpsons while pointing at hedgie.

Ha ha.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 3, 2011 12:22 p.m.

All of the coaches mentioned in the search as possible candidates can coach and pretty well.

The crucial question is can they recruit the talent needed to the U so the program can succeed?

How much better is Coach K at recruiting than Boylen? The answer to that question pretty much tells you how well this works out.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:25 p.m.

I hope that this is "third time is the charm" and not "three strikes and your out". If this guy is as bad as the next two, is Hill out?
    I am really hoping that the U can make a major improvement next season.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Veritas,

I think Alex Jensen needs more experience coaching before he comes in as a head coach. I think it would be great if Larry K. would bring him in as his top assistant so Alex would be in a good position to step up when he's ready. Kind of like what the Jazz did with Tyrone Corbin.

• uteowl Sunnyvale, CA
    April 3, 2011 12:28 p.m.

I am not impressed Dr. Hill. Out of the gate this not a hire that would have me back in the seats at Huntsman Center if I lived in SLC.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Ufan, I agree. I would rather have seen Tommy Connor. I hope this works out.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Duckhunter,

As a Ute fan I thank you for wishing our new coach well. I hope this works. From what I have read, it sounds like Larry K. was the number one choice when Boylen was selected, but the Bucks did what they had to do to keep him. Since that didn't work out he was available again this time and while I don't think he was the number one choice, it appears he was high on the list. My personal evaluation of him doesn't place him near the top, but if you look at my brackets from the NCAA tournament I may not be a good judge of college basketball talent.

I only ask one thing from the BYU faithful who have been following this decision, please pray for Larry K. I know you won't when you play us, but maybe you could do us that favor when we are playing in a tough new conference.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:37 p.m.

what is up with all these haters from down South? Shouldn't you be writing another Jimmer tribute song?

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:38 p.m.

Check this senerio out!

Recruit- Hey Mom I have decided to go play for Coach K!
    Mom- Your going to Duke?
    Recruit- No not that one! I am going to be a ute!
    recruit-MOM,MOM,MOM!

The story that will be heard around every recruits home in the country.

Nice pick up Hedgie and Chris. You guys did it, you got your guy for the pac- 12.lol

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Wow, way to welcome someone to the great state of Utah. I am embarrassed by many of the posts that have been written concerning the Utes new basketball coach. Sadly, many of those posts are from BYU fans who have nothing better to do than to run someone else down. I hope Coach Krystkowiack knows that the majority of Utahn's are good people who wish him the very best of luck.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Butler gets to the championship game two years running with young, unknown head coach, VCU makes the final four with the same, and Tommy Connor would somehow be the wrong choice?

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Well, I am glad Dave Rose isn't going anywhere!!! Someone got it DEAD WRONG! As for the Utes, I wish them the best of luck! I always admired they're basketball program then Rick left and it all went to pot! I almost felt sorry for the Utes except their Cocky Football Coach ruined it for me! I look forward to their mediocraty in Football in the PAC-12, and I look forward to their rebuilding a basketball program in the PAC-12!
    As for BYU, we'll just keep getting better!!! I can't say I'm thrilled with being in the WCC in basketball, we won't get #2,3,4 seeds in the NCAA tourney unless we have some great non-conference play and then rip the conference schedule, but hey, it's all part of the deal I guess? I mean you have Gonzaga as the Powerhouse, and St. Mary's kind of, who else is "GOOD" and even "SOLID"? We'll have a lot of championships wracked up I guess??? At least we are in a Private Religious Schools Conference, that is the positive I guess?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:59 p.m.

SUNNY ALL DAY,

"If this hire does not work out, how many more times will the "U" give Hill to finally "get it right"?"

I'll answer that for you. 0. Three strikes your out.

• Teddy Bear Las Vegas, NV
    April 3, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Good luck with the new coach. I am just relieved it isn't Rose. At this point, even if Rose were to leave, at least it isn't to the Utes, so that in and of itself is enough for me.

Anne26 - most of the responses by BYU fans are directed toward our normal BYU haters, and are generally responses to the constant rubbish we put up with from them. In general, most BYU fans are probably in the same boat as I am - just glad it isn't Rose, and indifferent otherwise. Most of us wish them well in the new conference, (as long as they continue to lose to BYU).

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:04 p.m.

@mormon ute

The truth is I always hope the utes do well other than when they play BYU. But I am certainly torn when it comes to seeing a large, and classless, segment of utah fans enjoy any success. You seem to be a good guy as is pocy and some others but I must admit seeing wedgie and christina feel some pain gives me pleasure.

So I hope the best for you but when the utes don't do well I'll let wedgie and christina hear about it.

• regis Murray, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

Give this guy some time. Sounds to me like he's done a pretty good job in some other places. But please give him some time.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Anne26,

Well said. Sadly, as the BYU fans you mention should have learned in a recent priesthood lesson on the pitfalls of pride, one of the marks of a prideful individual is putting down others. President Uchtdorf, who gave the talk that lesson was based on, used sports fans as an example where our pride gets the best of us and we wish bad things on our opponents. I hope we can all rise above that.

There are some BYU fans who are decent on here, but there are some who have a problem.

• JWunderli Henderson, NV
    April 3, 2011 1:18 p.m.

I'm a bit nervous about the hire of Coach K. I think he was a great player at Montana and didn't have much of a chance at Milwaukee because of injuries. Coaching under Avery Johnson is a good thing. He may not be the high-profile pick we Ute fans were hoping for AND at first glance he seems a bit too similar to Boylen but he's not Boylen and I'm going to support him and hope that he does a great job. He's got some pressing concerns: 1) convincing the current players who are good enough to contribute next year to stay, 2) hiring a staff who 3) can recruit a player or two (more as needed) in the spring signing period to help get the program on track and be competitive next year. I like the idea of bringing Alex Jensen in as an assistant (if he'll leave Majerus) and I hope he can find a few other good assistants who have relationships with players who haven't signed yet. Fingers crossed...go Utes and good luck Coach Larry K.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    April 3, 2011 1:18 p.m.

Well, here we go! I am glad Boylen is gone. This guy is at least articulate and does not look like bullwinkle. He has ties to the NBA, has at least been a head coach in the collegiate world, and has spent time in Utah, and in the west. Those are all good things. I just hope Clyburn stays, I can't imagine any of those JC seniors sitting out a year to walk away and then only play one year elsewhere. If he can hire some decent assistant coaches, it will be an improvement. I did not like Boylen from the beginning. I am not jumping out of my seat, but I am optimistic. Most of all, I am so glad we didn't get Rose, I could never cheer for him. Good luck in the WCC, the PAC-12 will be exciting. Bottom line, your still not a BCS school or in a BCS conference, make fun of our new coach all you want, that doesn't change the mess your in!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:19 p.m.

CougarKeith,

There's a great talk from October 2010 General Conference about pride by President Uchtdorf you should read. Particularly the section on sports fans.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 3, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Don't know much about the guy, but I'm surprised how many Ute fans find him objectionable. Usually the fans are defending the school's selection.

Ah well, you can always make the drive 40 miles South if you want to see some good basketball.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    April 3, 2011 1:32 p.m.

Once again I am underwhelmed by the lack of class from the BYU fans; what sad pathetic representatives you are of the school you support. I guess you feel you can rip on Utah because your school's stellar NCAA record including an NCAA Title, another NCAA finals game (runner up) as well as other Final Four appearances; Not.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Larry Krystkowiak may turn out to be a decent coach, but it's doubtful this is the guy any Utah fans were hoping for when Boylen was fired. I can't see Utah fans rushing out to buy season tickets because of this hire.

It's now wait and see whether Krystkowiak will breath new life into the Utah basketball program, or if this is the hire that will be the death knell to Dr. Hill's tenure as Utah AD.

• ST Layton, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:43 p.m.

$950,000 per year.... for a unproven coach ? wow... I hope he earns this money.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:46 p.m.

bigutefan,

Sorry to see you say that about Coach Rose. He is a proven winner and can recruit local talent, which we have been sorely laking in since Judkins and Majerus left us. You've let too much hatred color your version of the rivalry. That kind of attitude only poisons you and doesn't allow you to truly enjoy life.

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    April 3, 2011 1:47 p.m.

I support this hire

signed, Cougar Nation.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:48 p.m.

CougFaninTX,

Thanks for the offer, but I hope this works out for the best and see our own team in the Big Dance a few years from now.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 3, 2011 1:50 p.m.

Good Luck on your new hire. It's probably nice to have it done so you can focus on the future. I hope that Utah fans are patient with this one. It takes time to rebuild a program (look at how long it took Fisher to enjoy success at San Diego State). It seems that our patience as fans is becoming shorter and shorter and I think that can be detrimental to a program (as well as expensive).

Here's hoping that Boylen's recruiting has left the program in a situation where Coach K can have success quickly (like McBride's did for Meyer). I would love to see the Utes Runnin' again.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:51 p.m.

bigutefan

BOWL Championship Series (BCS) only applies to FOOTBALL - it's the only sport that has bowls. Get it?

With basketball, and as we've seen this year, it doesn't matter which conference you play in; you can be every bit as successful playing in a "small" conference as in a "big" conference - see Butler, NCAA championship game two straight years.

Dave Rose has already built a solid program at BYU and has been to five straight NCAA tournaments. That won't change. Rose will simply schedule a stronger OOC slate, to keep BYU's RPI high enough for a decent seed.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2011 1:56 p.m.

I was really excited about coach K the first time, this time makes me nervous. I have not been in on any of the interviews, therefore I do not know why other coaches chose not to come to Utah. (and I won't speculate) I am glad I was not the one who had to negotiate a contract, but 5 years makes this even scarier. I do hope that this works out, if it doesn't it is no reflection on me one way or another. I will give coach K a chance and I hope others will too!

As for the cougar fans posting...I don't blame you one bit for attacking Hedgie and Chris and some of the other obnoxious Ute posters. Your comments to them give me a good laugh every day. There are always those fans that give Utah a bad name and some who give BYU a bad name. Hopefully everyone can have fun posting and quit taking the schools win-lose records personally. Enjoy your team, which ever one it may be.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 3, 2011 2:00 p.m.

@pebbles

Thanks for another LOL!

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Krysko will whip this squad into shape. They will be disciplined, physical, and fundamentally sound in every facet of the game. Anyone that saw Krysko's 2006 Montana team play its 1st & 2nd round games at the Huntsman Center knows what I speak of.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 3, 2011 2:04 p.m.

pebbles... anything else you want to Yne about? I'd recommend that you leave Phoenix or use only filtered water. Geesh!

Plenty of congrats from many Y fans and plenty of negative comments from Ute fans.

I'm glad the drama is over and that the Utes have a coach.

• Andy Tomasso Layton, UT
    April 3, 2011 2:05 p.m.

People, the negative comments come because of the two clowns that tell us to "mark it down" and "how great it is to be a ute" if they didn't have negative comments on every story about the Y, half these comments wouldn't be here. I hope coach K does a good job, but I love to see hh a cb get it wrong, every time.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 3, 2011 2:22 p.m.

tommy Connor is local ward ball coach. Thank goodness Dr.Chris Hill had higher standards then to ever entertain such a small time option.

Coach K brings a National name and the sophistication to work with talent that goes well beyond Utah county. Again this is the PAC12 not fruit hieghts.

Solid choice.

• byu_num_1 Holladay, UT
    April 3, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Re: CordonBleu

At least Utah still has a chance. We pretty much ruined our basketball program by joining the WCC.

We'll be playing several horrible teams twice a year. WCC teams usually get poor seeds in the tournament because their SOS is so poor, and we haven't beaten a better seed in the tournament in 30 years.

Utah will at least have good programs coming to play at the Huntsman center. UCLA, Arizona, etc. We'll be playing in HS gyms on the road.

BYUs move to independence in football shows that other sports are not a priority. The move to the WCC almost makes me want to stop supporting BYU basketball.

• Utiesrsocute Murray, UT
    April 3, 2011 3:03 p.m.

Hedgie, sweetheart, its okay that you love this hire, but why would you keep disparaging a guy that spent 3 years service as your point guard and then 7 years as a coach on your bench in your glory years, and done nothing but win big with 2 scholarships per year at westminster. I thought you were just angry at BYU maybe your just angry.

ttfn

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    April 3, 2011 3:05 p.m.

HH: I asssume that Rose can do all of the national recruiting you are talking about seeing as how you were so anxious to have him. Hmmm, Rosey for the Y, and I think K2 might do okay give him a few years; one at a time, the u can't afford any more alimony.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2011 3:18 p.m.

No more posts ever from Hedge Hog because now you are a joke on this post. Good luck Larry!

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2011 3:30 p.m.

Larry, Alex Jensen would be a great Assistant coach. You will be get a hard worker and the faithful will like you even more. Just a thought.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 3, 2011 4:02 p.m.

hedgehog | 2:22 p.m. April 3, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI

===

Connor spent three years as a GA under Majerus, and four years at the U as an Assistant.

Tommy Connor enters his 12th season as head men's basketball coach at Westminster College. Since reinstating the basketball program in 1999-2000, Connor has put up some impressive numbers. The Griffins have gone 243-105 (.698) overall while proving even more dominant in Frontier play with a 118-34 (.776) mark on their way to seven of the last nine Frontier Conference titles while earning a spot in the NAIA National Tournament nine times.

Last season, Connor guided the team to a 27-6 record and a third consecutive Frontier Conference championship. The team also won the conference tournament for the second consecutive season.

Then I guess every empty seat in the HC over the next few years has your keen insight and Dr. Hill's "higher standard" to thank.

Check Coach "K"s record again, including longivity...

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 3, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Buster,

Sorry but on a National level, Westminster is a dog show. Don't get me wrong, Conner learned a few things from one of the best coaches.... but he doesn't have enough cache for the PAC12 - at least not yet. I do think BYU would be a good option for him.... and down the road, who knows.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    April 3, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Dave Rose must like High School Gymnasiums!!! If Rose doesn't make a move to a better league and soon, he'll regret it in the years ahead!!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 3, 2011 4:46 p.m.

byu_num_1

"We pretty much ruined our basketball program by joining the WCC... WCC teams usually get poor seeds in the tournament because their SOS is so poor..."

Any "BYU fan" who claims that joining the WCC has "ruined" BYU basketball either isn't a real BYU fan, or doesn't understand the difference between college football and college basketball.

The WCC had two teams in the Big Dance last year, and Gonzaga and Saint Mary's would have both been in the NCAA tournament this year if Saint Mary's hadn't faded down the stretch. With BYU in the WCC, the conference will be a regular 2 or 3 bid league.

Gonzaga has played in 13 straight NCAA tournaments with the following seeds:

1999 - 10
    2000 - 10
    2001 - 12
    2002 - 6
    2003 - 9
    2004 - 3
    2005 - 2
    2006 - 3
    2007 - 10
    2008 - 7
    2009 - 4
    2010 - 8
    2011 - 11

That's MUCH better than ANY team in the MWC has done!

In fact, there isn't a team in the PAC 10 who can match Gonzaga's record during the last 13 years.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 3, 2011 5:00 p.m.

hedgehog

This Krystkowiak hire has really sent you off the deep end, hasn't it? Larry has absolutely no national "cache". He's hasn't spent enough time in the college coaching ranks to prove he can recruit and he hasn't been successful enough as an NBA or college coach to prove he can coach.

Tommy Connor has done both, albeit at the NAIA level.

Dr. Hill was supposed be hiring a coach who could rebuild the Utah basketball, not a celebrity. The jury is still out, but it's more than likely Krystko will be Hill's 3rd strike.

• krisb White Lake, MI
    April 3, 2011 5:11 p.m.

hedgy and chris b,

Is Dave Rose going to be hired at the u of u as the lead assistant head coach? Everyone knows you both (or are you the same person?) know so much about BYU and the u! There is nothing like hiring a coach that has worked for two of the WORST NBA franchises! Another NBA coach, another Jim Boylan.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    April 3, 2011 5:24 p.m.

Some of you Utah fans are beyond laughable. With your basketball program in the toilet like it is and has been for many years I'm surprised that "anyone" would want to apply. What do you really have to offer besides a "guarantee" to be a cellar dweller for the near future in a league you have no business belonging to? Is reality too much for you Utah fans to accept? Fact is you are not very good and haven't been for many years!

• parrothead orem, ut
    April 3, 2011 5:24 p.m.

Good luck coach--just go get Alex or Tommy to help out !!

• CWEB Orem, UT
    April 3, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Hmmmm--

Utah--12-18 last year.

Krystkowiak 31-69 last year...

Seems a great fit.

Looking forward to more of the same.... Good luck Utes.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 3, 2011 6:11 p.m.

hedge;
    You stated that "The Utes get a Nationally recognized coach who's played and coached in the NBA...key for attracting high level (National) talent". Isiah Thomas was nationally recognized and coached in the NBA and he has ruined everything he has touched. I probably shouldn't ask this but where in the world did you get the idea that anyone who coached in the NBA will be able to attract recruits better that someone who has not? Do you have statistics to cite?
    Just wanting it to be doesn't make it happen. You have personally proven this many, many times.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    April 3, 2011 6:28 p.m.

As a loyal Cougar fan I am glad it is not Dave Rose and I look forward to the recruits he will have next year who will bring the size we lacked in the tournament this year. Rose is a great recruiter and the good local talent currently goes down to Provo. I personally think Utah will be better off with someone who knows the local connections but if that is not what they want then I guess Coach K with have to do. However, a good college coach knows how to recruit in his own backyard and that is something he will have to grasp if they are to be successful.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    April 3, 2011 6:42 p.m.

Glad to hear we have a coach.

Really don't know this guy from the next but I can only hope he pans out and can do some good things with this program. Was really hoping they would give Tommy Connor a shot.

Welcome coach K! The pressure will be great and I hope you can deal with it and WIN.

That being said, I can't wait for football and the game in Sept. Will be a warm up for the Utes and their first season in the PAC 12. On the other side, byU's whole season will be on the line. They lose, their goal changes from BCS to the San Francisco Chicken Finger Bowl. I can already hear the yine flowing.

Go Utes, on to the PAC 12!

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 3, 2011 7:00 p.m.

byu_num_1

Wasn't Arizona, the PAC 10 champion and highest seed from the PAC 10 this year, only a #5 seed. Gonzaga has had four seeds higher than #5 in the last 8 years - that's half.

Your "WCC teams usually get poor seeds" claim doesn't seem to hold much water.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    April 3, 2011 7:25 p.m.

To paraprhase Jay Bilas - "Does Chris Hill even know that a basketball is round?"

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 3, 2011 7:50 p.m.

ute fans asking for tommy connor to assist I have a question for you. Why would he? He left as a ute assitant to become a head coach in his current position. He has been very successful in that position. Seeing as though he left an assistants position at utah why would he want to go back there as an assitant?

Then of course there is the slap in the face he just got from chris hill who didn't even give him the time of day despite the fact he was being pimped by alumni, fans and donors.

It seems to me chris hill is going out of his way to drive as many ex-utes as far away from the program as he possibly can. It is as if he thinks that now that utah is in the pac10 none of them are good enough to be associated with the program.

I don't know but it all seems very strange to me. I suppose he has wedgies endorsement so that must mean something to him.

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    April 3, 2011 8:09 p.m.

re: hedgehog

"Coach K brings a National name and the sophistication [etc., etc.]"

I love it when you have delusions of adequacy.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    April 3, 2011 8:33 p.m.

re: hedgie

"Coach K brings a National name and the sophistication [etc., etc.]"

I have said it all along that as soon as they hired their 6 or 7th choice, Chris, Hedgie, Hill and the rest of the ute fans would say it. "We got the one that we wanted all along".

Hey look at the bright side you did'nt hit double figures on rejections before you got the one you all wanted in the first place. lol

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 8:54 p.m.

It seems like I always start like this - but once again I love all the coog fans commenting on this Utah article. Your knowledge of sports in general is biased and off that it always seems to make me laugh. A poster above said that Utah has been down for "many many years" - hmm ok yes we did have two losing seasons but before that we were conference champions and we won the MWC tourney that year too - something that the greatest coog team in over 30 years wasn't able to do this year! The way you all gloat over any success is one of the many reasons college sports fans all over the nation dislike you.

The coogs had a great season - they had their first national player of the year award winners and yet they only made it to the sweet 16! It's time to stop patting yourself on the back and realize you're moving into a 1 bid league. Spare me the stuff about Saint Mary's would have made if.... they are a 1 bid league and now that Jimmer and the best defender are gone welcome back to mediocrity.

Go Utes!

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:14 p.m.

I find it very interesting that at least half of the comments on this article are from UTE obsessed BYU trolls.

I for one love this choice of Coach K!! The key will be who he surrounds himself with on his coaching staff.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:14 p.m.

Chirs Hill's undoing as far as basketball is concerned goes way back to when he let Rick Majerus run off Jeff Judkins. Judkins was the best recruiter and number one assistant before leaving. He has proven at BYU that he would have been a great head coach to follow Majerus. This all could have been avoided. Now we are left hoping that we've got somebody who can rebuild what was one of the top programs in the country.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    April 3, 2011 9:19 p.m.

Qwest Perfected:

So if you've only had 2 bad years, how come Gottfried, Bennett and Rose all turned you down and you could only get Krystkowiak?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 3, 2011 9:24 p.m.

I don't care how big the gyms are in the WCC, I don't spend a lot of time in the visiting teams gym. I only care that there's an ESPN camera or a BYUTV camera in the gym, so I can watch the game in the comfort of my family room.

With BYU's addition, WCC will be a constant two bid leage, just like the MWC. On occassion they will be a three bid league and next year they could be a four bid league - BYU, Zags, St Marys, and University of Portand is an up and comer.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:44 p.m.

@qwest

Actually utah has had losing seasons 4 out of the last 6. That is being "down" for quite a few years in my book. Even at BYU's lowest back in the 90's they didn't have a run of futility like that.

Who is it again that lacks knowledge?

LOL

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    April 3, 2011 10:03 p.m.

This hire is atrocious. Nothing against Larry K., but the U needs a much better/credentialed coach for their new league. I'm extremely disappointed. It most certainly IS a downgrade, as many have mentioned.

A 5-year deal at $100,000 more per year than the U paid Boylen, who is probably a better coach and recruiter?

Chris Hill, you're history. Thanks for the boost in football, but you have repeatedly shown us that you wouldn't know how to pick a good basketball coach if every coach in the nation were willing to come here.

• Jimmy James Salt Lake City, Ut
    April 3, 2011 10:34 p.m.

To everyone saying Chris Hill is going to get fired: You're NUTS!

This is the guy who got the U into the PAC. (Or at least the guy who hired the guys who got us into the PAC.)

Hasn't all this conference rearrangement lately taught you anything? Football drives athletics at the college level, not Basketball. The past 10 years of football have been nothing short of phenomenal for the U of U. We went from a bottom dwelling team thats only joy came from when we occasionally beat BYU, to a Nationally recognized team that still takes it's greatest joy from beating BYU. :)

Anyways, as long as Chris Hill keeps football rolling, in my opinion he'll be just fine.

• Cougar Cindy Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 11:11 p.m.

Never heard of Coach K until today, but here's one Cougar wishing the best for him and the Runnin' Utes. I had never heard of Dave Rose till he came to BYU either. Hope to see the program competitive in the Pac-12 and successful on the national stage.

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    April 3, 2011 11:41 p.m.

I wonder what the buYout clause is.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    April 3, 2011 11:48 p.m.

JJ ... sorry to burst your bubble but chris hill had very little to do with the utes getting into the Pac 10. You can thank Larry Scott for painting the Pac 10 into a corner by offering Colorado and the other Big 12 schools and thank Colorado for accepting with the others declining. Larry Scott had no other option than to invite utah. BYU was obviously out of the question with their religious affiliation. No matter how you spin it, the invite had NOTHING to do with chris hill or the utes.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    April 4, 2011 12:50 a.m.

Good luck, Coach K.

From a BYU and Utah fan (except when Utah plays BYU). I am an alum of both schools, but enjoyed the spiritual aspect at BYU, which was lacking at the U. Maybe that is because I did not attend the LDS institute at the U!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 4, 2011 5:00 a.m.

@Dave S

Plenty of Y fans congratulating the Utes today, however can you explain the many Ute fans NOT happy about having Coach K.2? Lots of discontent and frustration being exhibited.

I enjoy the rivalry as much as anyone and put my two cents in but your observation and others complaining about some Y fan comments doesn't hold water when several of your own fan base is very upset over this hiring.

Time to pull things together. I sincerely hope for the success of Coach K.2. and the Utes basketball program in the PAC

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    April 4, 2011 6:45 a.m.

Can't say I'm excited about the hire but since I don't own a crystal ball I'll wait to cast judgment about him until time next year.

Until then Go Utes!!

• GuitarGuy Layton, UT
    April 4, 2011 7:11 a.m.

I guess the mystical lure of the 12PAC isn't what many of you have purported it to be, now is it?

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    April 4, 2011 7:15 a.m.

Stop with the "Coach K" there is only one true Coach K..

or I guess ute fan you could go with, Coach K the 2 if you want.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    April 4, 2011 7:22 a.m.

Hmmm. I look at the history and see another coach getting a million dollar a year contract for five years and he has little in results to show for it, anywhere he has been. How is he with X's and O's? How is he with recruiting? The life blood of Success is never about money. Has he shown success at any level? Some of the Ute Fans suggested Rose. What makes Rose such a good coach? Excellent staff, really good with X's & O's, Great recruiting, Understands the psychology of the game, knows how to deal with his players, great human being. It goes on and on. I don't know, this one will have to play out with time to see if it was wise. Maybe it is not about lights and glitz. Maybe it is about integrity, honor and hard work. I think Connor would have brought those qualities to the table. I just see more cannon fodder. WOW!
    Jeff

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    April 4, 2011 7:49 a.m.

According to several sources on these posts that have "never" been wrong, Dr. Hill and Dave Rose were having lunch together in Houston over the weekend. Apparently Rose has already agreed to coach the Utes...in 3 years.

Coach K is very aware of the challenges and is willing to take them on. He didn't take the job based on recent history, he took based on the potential and tradition of the program. Let's give him our support and time to do the job.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    April 4, 2011 8:22 a.m.

I wish the best of luck to Coach K2 and to the Utes.

• mamalongarms Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 9:38 a.m.

I'm glad there is someone to take over and I wish him the best of luck. I hope he can get all the guys to stay and work together for a bright season next year. If he can get the guys to stay and then teach them to work together and hold themselves to a high standard, the Utes will be a force next season.

To those naysayers who give the excuse of Chris B and hedgehog to come on here to laugh and wish demise on the Utes, you are no better than they are. Way to hold yourself to a "higher" standard.

• Jimmy James Salt Lake City, Ut
    April 4, 2011 9:52 a.m.

AltaHawkFan:

While you're right that Larry Scott was a huge part of the U getting the invite, please don't tell me that the U had nothing to do with it. Otherwise, why wasn't Larry Scott interested in Utah State, or the Idaho Vandals, or SUU? Oh yeah, that's right, because they haven't done anything worthwhile in football.

Granted, BYU got passed because of religion and Boise State got passed because of academics, but I'm pretty sure that had the Utes NOT had the Fiesta and Sugar Bowl under their belts, there wasn't a prayer that the PAC would have signed off on letting the U come into their fold.

Chris Hill hiring Urban Meyer and then keeping Wittingham, is the stuff of athletic director legend. The impact those two have had on the university as a whole is pretty amazing if you ask me.

Needless to say, I still think Chris Hill's job is pretty safe...

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:01 a.m.

I was really hoping we could get Luther Wright, John Amaechi or even the Big Dog, Antoine Carr. Larry K is a great hire.

We can start calling him Coach K now, and I am sure someone like Duke will steal that name, kind of like the University of Miami stole our 'U' sign we do with our hands. Just like Michigan took the "Team down south" from us to refer to Ohio St.

• GOUTES! Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:07 a.m.

I don't mind all the BYU Trolls talking smack about basketball, because come Football season all us Utah Trolls will be out in full force while we're in the PAC-12 and BYU is playing somewhere in the middle of WAC country.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:30 a.m.

hedgehog | 12:20 p.m. April 3, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    --------
    Hedge, at least you are an equal opportunity troll, slamming your rival, an alumna, and fans of your own team with equal distain. Perhaps a Michael Jackson song would be helpful:

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
    I'm asking him to change his ways
    And no message could have been any clearer
    If you wanna make the world a better place
    Take a look at yourself and then make a change

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Jimmy James | 9:52 a.m. April 4, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Ut
    AltaHawkFan:

---------
    Curious, Jimmy, what is the population of Logan? Moscow? Cedar City? That couldn't have anything to do with it, could it?

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 11:23 a.m.

This is a step sideways in my opinion. The guy has a LOSING RECORD as a head coach! He couldn't hack it in the NBA. He couldn't hack in the NCAA. It would have been better to get someone who's up and coming, not someone who's dead and gone. Worst......Hire......Ever.....

• Sportfanatic West Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 11:55 a.m.

I would have liked the Utes to go after Steve Alford from New Mexico.

• gfam Park City, Ut
    April 4, 2011 12:02 p.m.

Let us hope Chris Hill is right this time. Remember he hired Ray Giacoletti and Jim Boylen, decisions that cost the University of Utah millions in payoffs and dwindling attendance. He is now asking fans to pay for his mistakes in higher ticket prices in the coming seasons. Ive yet to hear him volunteer to give up part of his $350,000 annual salary to help offset losses that resulted from his poor judgement.

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    April 4, 2011 12:53 p.m.

The utes got their superstar coach! Warm, fuzzy, tingly optimism all around...right?

Sweet sixteen next year and the national championship in 2013! Mark it down!
    Is this what "It's a great time to be a ute!" means?

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Sorry, but this doesn't look like an "All-Star" hire. Appears they should have stayed with Boylen.

• holt56 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Whether this new coach is a good choice or not, Ute fans are looking for one thing - wins. How that happens, it doesn't matter. Fans just want that result. Good luck Utah, with Coach K.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    April 4, 2011 9:10 p.m.

Man, this guy has yet to coach a game at Utah...and the hatred is oosing. Put the crystal balls away boys.

And yes, I refuse to "mark it down."