Utah

Opponents of Utah guest worker program for illegal immigrants launch website

Comments

• texlds Dallas, TX
    March 30, 2011 4:15 p.m.

'Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.', said Christ.
    'Go away, even if you are trying to provide bread for your children.', say the misguided Utahans behind this effort.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    March 30, 2011 4:49 p.m.

When Jesus establishes the Nation of Christ, then he can set the immigration rules.

Until then, "We believe in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

• milojthatch Sandy, UT
    March 30, 2011 4:50 p.m.

I think all the Utahans that disagree with this law should move down to Arizona where the laws fit their mentalities better. There, isn't that simple? It would save the vast majority of Utahans that do agree with this law from hearing the yapping dogs.

• BYU Alum Cedar Hills, UT
    March 30, 2011 5:21 p.m.

We are a nation of laws. It wasn't Russia or China or Germany or Japan that has driven our country to its knees, it was an invasion from Mexico. Immigrants can COME HERE THE RIGHT WAY by obeying our laws and filling out the proper paperwork and waiting their turn and I for one would have no problem with them. I am a Democrat and my wife is a Republican and we will NOT vote for or support ANYONE in government who supports HB166, the Utah Amnesty bill.

• lopaki Holladay, UT
    March 30, 2011 5:25 p.m.

I support the efforts of our Utah legislators and governor in crafting a comprehensive solution to the problem. It may not be perfect, but it is going in the right direction. The problem stems from the fact that the number of legal immigrants allowed was never properly adjusted to meet the demands of the growing US economy for decades. Hence, workers (and their families)came to fill the needs in agriculture, construction, hospitality, manufacting etc. The opponents have no solution for those that are here except to drive the 110,000+ illegals from the State and the 12+million from the country. It is wholey impractical and immoral to drive them out in essence leaving the equivalent of Salt Lake City vacated- empty homes, empty apartments, workers gone, consumers gone, families torn apart. I (and most of us in Utah) reject such a proposition. It is time for the enforement only crowd to be part of constructive discussions on how to address the problem.

• OneMadGuy Salt Lake, UT
    March 30, 2011 6:43 p.m.

We'll see how much 'support of mainstream Utah' this has in Nov 2012.

This 'work permit' is a joke and everyone knows it will never get past the Feds.

• josephclark sandy, utah
    March 30, 2011 7:16 p.m.

We don't have job for 42.000 illegals here, they need to work but not here, they need to work in their country, their country need this illegals there not here.
    we don't have place, we don't have jobs, we don't have enought even for us, My kid is trying to find a job and can't get it, how can we have jobs for illegals if we don't even have job for us?
    please lets think about that, we don't have job for everybody, they need to get back to their country and work there not here....sorry!

• josephclark sandy, utah
    March 30, 2011 7:26 p.m.

milojthatch,
    we don't need to move to Arizona, illegals need to move to their country! here is my state, my country, illegals need to move not me! sorry!
    you can move to Mexico if you want or Arizona! by the way maybe you are from Mexico to think like that!

• Adam Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 1:20 a.m.

Amehico!!! That's what a group of hispanic teenagers call this country at my daughter's school. How do all you service men and women feel about that? Folks you DO NOT fully understand the lack of respect for the USA from this upcoming generation of children of both illegal and legal immigrants from south of the border. It is gut wrenching and is very real. I love the PRO - Illegal comments that come from those people on the east side of the valley. Get out of your bubble on the east bench once in a while and you'll see the intense invasion going on in Utah. And trust me, they are not all here to "work" for a better life.

• JBrady Murray, Ut
    March 31, 2011 2:06 a.m.

We have work visas already in this country. Taking away jobs from citizens and given them to foreign nationals is not the job of Utah's legislature. This legislation violates the rights of American citizens by not protecting American jobs in this country. It would destroy American families and the ability of Americans to provide for their family. This law declares war on American workers and is a disgrace to Americans across the country.

However, this law will never see the light of day. It would require changes to Federal immigration and labor laws. What this law is, is an attempt to stop E-verify and protect the drivers privilege cards. It's also an advertisement for Utah's business community to attract illegal immigrants to this state up until May 11 of this year. Our Governor and legislature has broke Federal immigration laws by encouraging people to come here illegally.

• JBrady Murray, Ut
    March 31, 2011 2:22 a.m.

lopaki, Many people never profited during the boom years, because of the flood of illegal labor. I know good honest people who lost everything after years in construction because of the companies that flooded the market with illegal help.

It's those business responsibility for hiring them, not the American people. We already paid with reduced wages.

You don't stop lawbreaking by rewarding illegal behavior. When workers relocate for temporary work, and it ends, they go home. The boom and the jobs are gone.
    It's time for the temp workers to go home.

• JP71 Ogden, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:57 a.m.

I agree with this law and I support the Governor for his decision to approve this bill.

• Maj1972 Orem, Utah
    March 31, 2011 5:26 a.m.

This bill was to open the door to all illegals to come to Utah. The Republican control body justify that it will allow them to come to Utah and do jobs that Utahns won't do; really? Did these politicians really visit the Department of Workforce Services and talk to the people who was unemployed? Perhaps the business sectors would pay a fair wage and hire the unemploy, then you won't need the illegals here. And for those who support the bill, you are saying that you support law breakers. Remember, the end never justify the means. Those who support this bill, go visit the Department of Workforce Services and talk to the unemploy and tell them why you support illegals over your Utahns!

• John Adams Miami, FL
    March 31, 2011 6:25 a.m.

@ texlds | 4:15 p.m. March 30, 2011

The quote you give has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with immigration. The Lord was speaking to those who were still "laboring" under the Mosiac law and "heavy laden" with the burdens of over 600 made-man laws.

It never ceases to amaze me how people take pieces of scripture out of context in a feeble attempt to rationalize their personal opinions.

HB 116 is wrong, it's that simple.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    March 31, 2011 7:05 a.m.

Why does Mexico boast that it has the world's richest man while its only export is its people? Libyans are trying to overthrow their tyrannical government and NATO is helping because Libyan exiles will overwhelm neighboring countries. Why not help Mexican immigrants to go back and take over their own country? Get at the root causes of their willing to risk their lives and leave families behind to escape from Mexico.

• jim l West Jordan, UT
    March 31, 2011 7:09 a.m.

I served our country in the military. Now i expect our country to protect us. Repeal HB 116

• legalimmigrant Springville, Utah
    March 31, 2011 7:12 a.m.

All the people I have talked to agree this bill is not what Utah needs. Someone is lying. I guess we will find out who in the next elections, or hopefully sooner. In the meantime, I am signing the petition to repeal HB 116 and talking to my family, friends and neighbors into signing this petition as well. Those who throw the compassion argument are either naive or totally ignorant about the illegal immigration problem.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    March 31, 2011 7:19 a.m.

Iopaki,
    We have laws that allow for immigrant labor. Businesses found it cheaper to higher illegal help to the detriment of all of us and our government turned a blind eye. Would you condone illegally downloading movies from the internet. The consequences are similar in that it hurts our economy and punishes legal labor and legal workers.

• granolagirl Draper, UT
    March 31, 2011 7:24 a.m.

Ever since Gov. Herbert signed HB 116 into law, immigration attorneys that live here in Utah have been saying that their phone lines have been ringing OFF THE HOOK from illegal aliens from other states, asking if they really will be able to stay in the country if they "move to Utah and get that working privelage card by Mary 10th". The immigration attorneys have said that us Utahns better brace ourselves for a HUGE influx of illegal aliens into this state, in the next two months. Illegals want to get here before the deadline.

Herbert, how do you NOT understand that HB 116 is INCENTIVIZING illegals to flood into Utah?!! I am just appalled at this bill. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out!

If you leave a pile of sugar next to the opening of an ant hill, the ants will flood to it!!

• Mulder21 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 7:30 a.m.

@ lopaki

I don't think that you have the right to say "I (and most of us in Utah) reject such a proposition". Do you know most of the people in Utah? The only reason you have this false concept in your head is because the LDS church has backed the bill. However, just because the church backed the bill does not make it a good or moral bill. So, to assume that most of the people in Utah support or want this bill is asinine.

• BoomerJeff Saint George, UT
    March 31, 2011 7:45 a.m.

Desnews. Thank you for posting this article and being fair to those who don't agree with this bill. It informs us of a website where we can support the repeal. Thank you for doing the right thing.

• Proud to be American West Jordan, UT
    March 31, 2011 7:46 a.m.

No illegals in our country, a goal we can all live with.

It took me 0.3 seconds to sign this petition. Now it is time that you did the same.

• leer Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 7:56 a.m.

The governor has provided leadership which resulted in a common-sense solution a solution which has garnered, and will continue to garner, the support of mainstream Utah," Isom said.

Nice canned PR response! Support of mainstream Utah, I don't think so. Last time I checked "rule of law" mattered to most Utahns. When the entire story starts to unfold in 2011, Utahn and Americans nationwide will understand just how awful HB116 really is. This is truly one of the biggest smoke and mirror, political cons games to date.

Wake up Utah!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    March 31, 2011 8:15 a.m.

texlds

who was it that said "render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's"? I'm pretty sure that had something to do with honoring the law.

• texlds Dallas, TX
    March 31, 2011 8:34 a.m.

To all the critics of my comment, go and learn what this means, "I will have mercy and not sacrifice."

• tejas washington, utah
    March 31, 2011 8:38 a.m.

I have been out of work for a year and a half. Myself, my wife and three of my kids have been trying to find work with no success. I am about to loose my home which will make my family have to live in our small camper and a tent. It seems to me that some of our representatives care more about the illegals than there legal citizens. I for one would like to take there place as a representative to protect our people from the government.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    March 31, 2011 9:09 a.m.

jim 1 - I also served in the armed forces and our job was to protet them in power so they can better serve themselves not you or me. I dont ask my goverment for anything I take care of myself. and Im constantly getting ripped off for social security which wont be there when I want it back so I have my own retirement set up. your goverment is in it for themselves the constititon has been changed my friend its the goverment of the goverment by the goverment for the goverment ( good luck )

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:19 a.m.

I do not support this bill and will never vote for Herbert or any of the others who supported this bill.

• Adam Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:33 a.m.

I failed to mention in my earlier comment that 13 new hispanic students have enrolled in my daughters school since this May 11, 2011 bill/deadline has been announced a month or so ago. Multiply that by hundreds of schools in the valley that are going to see this influx of tax funded children. Hopefully you level headed people can start to see the writing on the wall. And we're still in March! Get ready because HERE THEY COME to Utah!

• lehiaggie Lehi, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Zero illegal immigrants? Really? Lets have a bit of common sense. Utah law makers passed many immigration bills on both sides of the issue because this is a complex issue. "Rule of Law" is not the only thing to consider. Open your minds a bit and think about how complex this issue really is. HB116 addresses one part of this complex issue. Other laws address other parts.

• RRB SLC, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:57 a.m.

After two years will they go home? Who will see if they go home, what police agency exists to deport them after their guest worker expires?

I don't think it will ever become a law, but the breaking of Federal immigration laws by our legislature and Governor has to be addressed also. You can't just pick and choose which laws you want to follow, and as government officials, you are suppose to set examples for the citizens. It's against the law for government agencies at any level to openly encourage people to come here illegally. The answer to America's immigration problem is not in Utah. The leaders are breaking immigration laws here.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:59 a.m.

HB119 is a way to keep track of illegal immigrants so Utah would have some idea of how many there are (in Utah).

That being said, personally I think we should enforce the laws of Immigration and Naturalization to deport those who are here illegally.

I don't understand why I have to hear Spanish conversations in public places; why I am given a choice on whether I want to speak Spanish (press 2) or English; or why half the directions on items I buy are in Spanish. I don't understand why these people consider me ignorant if I dont speak Spanish, or why they want to make Spanish the official language of the United States.

Illegal immigrants are not only coming into America illegally, but they are trying to take over America and we are letting them by being complacent or misguidedly compassionate.

America is for Americans. Anyone who wants to be a citizen of this great nation should consider it a privilege. They should have enough respect for America to enter her boarders through the established legal channels. Neither the LDS Church nor the Governor of Utah should say otherwise.

• watchman Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:59 a.m.

It is good to know that many, many Utahns understand and want to preserve the value of American citizenship.

I will sign the petition and encourage others to also do it. Repeal HB 116.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 10:03 a.m.

This HB 116 condones and encourages crime including murdering US border agents, farmers and ranchers, and the exploitation of all Central and South Americans, subjecting them to paying outlandish amounts of money to coyotes and drug cartels and subjecting them to being victims of rape, murder and exploitation.......this law is not humanitarian, it further exploits and punishes these people and gives them a false hope and sense of security(strands of human remains line the deserts of Mexico to Arizona.....The fed is not going to grant a waiver to the state of utah and it is foolish to write a law like 116 that will never pass litmus!

• Kearns_Dad Kearns, UT
    March 31, 2011 10:16 a.m.

I am glad HB116 passed and that Gov. Herbert signed it. Unfortunately, a number of Utahns seem to feel I must think like they think.

I was born in the USA to American parents and am proud of our country. If anything, we are talking about human beings. My friend came to this country legally and it took him 17 years and thousands of dollars to be an American citizen. The Feds need to fix this.

Hopefully, HB116 will force the Feds to do something...if not, expect them to sue the state.

• Jazz Bass Man Wellsville, Utah
    March 31, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Somewhere the governor and the liberal media seem to think that Utahns really do want amnesty (aka guest worker plan) for illegals in this state, because I keep hearing the media say this. I'd like to know where they are getting this information, because from every poll I have seen (where actual LEGAL Utah citizens participated), the polls strongly indicate to the contrary.

EVERY citizen of this state needs to send the governor and the state delegates a strong message that we absolutely DO NOT want amnesty of any kind in Utah. This petition is a good start. I signed this petition, and everyone else needs to as well. If Herbert still doesn't get the message, then we need to remember this when he comes to ask us for our vote in the next election. Maybe when he is voted out of office (like Chris Cannon and Bob Bennett were), then he'll get the message.

• Trooper55 Williams, AZ
    March 31, 2011 11:26 a.m.

I agree with a lot of what was said, I am for the repell of this bill. I don't believe that they should be rewarded for breaking the law, and the State should never allowed it in law. I am for one that's tried of giving this land to the illegals from Mexico, and allowing their children to receive free schooling. If they are here illegal, then they should have none of the benfits of this country. I hope the people of Utah can get this bill removed.

• RRB SLC, UT
    March 31, 2011 11:37 a.m.

I hope the Deseret news adds this to their immigration section. It's more relevant to the subject than many articles there.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    March 31, 2011 12:41 p.m.

In Utah, and across the country, this issue is NOT about respect for the law. This issue is about how many Mexicans can come to this country each year ...legally.

We all want laws that are obeyed. Some of us would change the current federal law with that end in mind. Some of us do not want the law changed...because to do so would likely allow more people from Mexico to come/stay here.

All of us want all those who come here to get in line and come legally.

Some of us want to keep that line at the size it now is: 175,000 who manage to come legally each year.

Others want that line increased to 500,000 to 700,000 each year...and for those already here to go through that larger line...via a pathway to citizenship. The pathway should include payment of fines, learning English and passing a criminal background check.

The only thing the two sides really agree on: this is ultimately a federal issue.

No matter how you slice it: this is not about legality, it's really about how many of our Mexican neighbors can come here...legally.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    March 31, 2011 12:53 p.m.

@RRB 9:57. Of course they won't go home, especially since this bill makes it possible to bring the whole family. Once they are here they won't go.

@Jazz BM. Good comment and you are exactly correct. They need to just read the comments and take note of all the snap polls that Channel 2 & 4 have taken on this subject. Results are about 84% against illegals.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    March 31, 2011 1:28 p.m.

jimhale, no it's about illegal immigration. Mexico isn't the only country that has people wanting to come here. Being unfair to the people waiting in the rest of the world creates bitter feelings towards America and Utah.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    March 31, 2011 1:52 p.m.

There is no better way to break up a family in this country than money problems. It's the root cause of many divorces here. Now we are going to take away jobs from Americans and give them to foreign citizens?

What did our legislators do for Utahns out of work this legislature? By requiring E-Verify now, and ending the silly drivers privilege cards they could of opened up jobs for them. Instead they put E-verify on hold.

Our legislature chose to help those here illegally, and did nothing for Utahns. Except those who dishonestly hire illegal aliens.

The H visa law is a copy of current law, so is the enforcement law passed(secure communities). Our legislature did nothing except pass this law.

It all starts when someone walks across the border illegally, then people break laws to help him, to transport, to find housing, to get papers, to hire, and now to pass a law (ยง 1324). That one act of illegal immigration leads to dozens of people breaking the law, including Utah's legislature that just advertised for people to break immigration laws and come here.

Sign it.

• Bowman Lompoc, CA
    March 31, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Jim hale,
    Why do you think Mexicans should have a 100 to 1 immigration advantage over everyone else in the world? What makes them so much more special?

• Bowman Lompoc, CA
    March 31, 2011 2:22 p.m.

So far the comments on this board are 20 to 3 in favor of repealing HB116. That is exactly the opposite of "the support of mainstream Utah," which the Governor claims. Well I guess he can keep his head in the sand and be defeated next year, same for the legislators who voted for 116.

• texlds Dallas, TX
    March 31, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Pharisee-ism reign supreme in Utah.

It is all about the law, the law, the law.

And what about those that are poorer than you? And I mean much, much poorer? Any sentiment of compassion about them?

Or does your mercy only extend to naturalized Americans?

• RRB SLC, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Come on Deseret News, if this was a Hispanic group holding a meeting where 30 people showed up, the article would be in the immigration section. If a protest was planned by Hispanic's over the bill, it would be in the immigration section. Not adding this story to the immigration section, where it could be easily found and commented on for several days, is a form of censorship.

• Bowman Lompoc, CA
    March 31, 2011 3:11 p.m.

World's richest man is a Mexican, Carlos Slim. You need to ask him that question.

But I do have compassion for Burmese stateless war orphans, which the US government prevents Americans from adopting and bringing to the USA because they would rather have Mexican illegal aliens. If you had compassion for stateless Burmese war orphans you would join the Immigrant Rights Foundation which is working to persuade the US Government to allow them into the USA.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:45 p.m.

There is a really simple solution to the illegal immigration problem.

Make employing an illegal alien a felony punishable by a $100,000 fine and 1 year behind bars. Offer a $10,000 reward for anyone who turns in a business that is found to employ illegals.

The illegals are here only b/c the jobs are here. If the jobs go away the illegals will go away. We won't need to deport anybody or spend billions on enforcement. All it takes is some pre-employment screening. You take away their livelihood and they'll move of their own accord.

• SLars Provo, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:56 p.m.

texlds other media have reported stories on con men trying to sell guest worker passes to illegal immigrants already.

So, is it alright if we steal from those here illegally, like they are from us? Or do you want the law to protect them?

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    March 31, 2011 4:26 p.m.

What makes the Mexicans special?

They are one of our two nearest neighbors....the ones with the extreme disparity of incomes.

They are, the main, conservative people - a type I'd like to see more of in this country.

They have an equal claim to this promised land.

And lastly, we stole California, Arizona, New Mexico and much of Nevada and Utah from them in 1848.

(Please don't tell me we paid them for that loss of land....they only agreed with our cannons trained on Mexico City...in a war condemned by Abraham Lincoln (who complained that the then President had lied us into war - on the floor of the Congress and in speeches up and down the Atlantic coast) and U.S. Grant (who participated and wrote about it in his memoirs). It was not a purchase; it was a theft under duress.
    We aren't going to give the land back, but we should remember from whom we stole it.
    President Polk tried to buy the land before the war for more dollars but was turned down. Then he ordered troops all the way south though his generals thought it unnecessary.)

Besides: I like Mexicans.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    March 31, 2011 4:53 p.m.

jimhale,

Actually, CA seceded from Mexico before it became part of the US - ever hear of the California Republic? Mexico has no more claim on it than the UK has on our Atlantic seaboard. Spain has as much right to it and all of Mexico or the rest of the areas you say we stole.

Besides, why would the illegals want CA, NC, AZ, NM, or UT to become part of Mexico? Then they'd be back in the place they tried to leave!

• Bowman Lompoc, CA
    March 31, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Jim,

Americans didn't steal this land from Mexicans, they stole it from Native Americans. The Southwest was claimed (but not controlled) by Mexico for only 26 years, and only 5000 Mexicans lived here at the time. It was actually controlled at the time by the millions of Native Americans who had lived here for 10,000 years.
    The Mexican American War was waged to decide who would take the land from Native Americans. Lincoln and Grant were against annexing ALL of Mexico into the USA because it would bring in new slave states, not because it was a "land grab" of the current Southwest.

But if you want to give everything you own away to the Mexican family of your choice and move to Europe as the Mexica Movement wants, knock yourself out.

• ufound10 duquesne, pa
    March 31, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Cartels,terroist,gangs are licking their chops a place to operate from , with less immunity . With illegals come those unwelcome elements, Georgia has first hand experience,425,000-500,000 illegals cost to taxpayers of Georgia 2.2 billion a year.
    I'm sure Georgia residents are hoping the word gets out about Utah having the welcome mat open for illegals.

• VinhLe San Gabriel, CA
    March 31, 2011 5:37 p.m.

jimhale,

I am surprised you don't prefer British people, since Oregon was taken by the US from Britain through threat of a third war with them. Maybe the real reason you prefer Mexicans is because Mexicans will work cheaper than Brits?

• countryscotty Orem, ut
    March 31, 2011 10:21 p.m.

I am a supporter of repealing this bill and am a county delegate. Please go to the website given in the article and take the time to watch Chris Herrod's video 'The forgotten Immigrant'. This quick clip has some great points to ponder when trying to say that this legislation is compassionate.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    April 1, 2011 3:10 a.m.

Lost in DC -
    CA only seceded from Mexico because the Anglo minority took over the place by force....driving out long standing Spanish landowners...emboldened by the presence of GOLD.

Bowman -
    Okay, I'll give you part of that: We stole the SW from Mexico AND the Indians.
    We were illegal immigrants at the time. Bloody illegals, I guess.

Please cite your source that there were millions of Native Americans in the SW at the time of those few thousand Spanish/Mexicans....in the US as a whole, yes - in the SW, no.

Lincoln was against the War on Mexico because it was initiated on a pretext: an incident of dubious fact and legality in southern Texas....and because the Southern version of manifest destiny would have created slave states.

Grant was sour on the Mexican war because the strategy of going all the way to Mexico City was not militarily justified ...and because he too thought the facts on the ground did not justify the President's extreme policy.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    April 1, 2011 3:19 a.m.

VinhLe -

Oregon was stolen from the Indians, too. It's fate was settled by treaty with England ...after a convention of European settlers chose to join the US...rather than Britain...by one vote. (The Indians probably thought they were all illegal immigrants at the time.)

I like English Americans. I largely am one ...also partly Irish...all in America before the Revolution....and nearly all in Oregon before statehood.

Did you know there are now more Americans of German descent than those of English origins?

I personally have no vested interest in low Mexican immigrant wages...making them all legal would greatly reduce their negative impact on wage rates. Maybe you would like them better then.

• John Adams Miami, FL
    April 1, 2011 6:40 a.m.

@ texlds | 2:53 p.m. March 31, 2011

Either you haven't read or you do not understand the 12th Article of Faith. Which is it?

As for those who are poor, I would bet my head against a football that those who are strongly opposed to HB 116 are paying a far greater portion of fast offering than those who are in support of this bill.

Why do I say that?

Because my experience has shown that those who support socialistic agendas, such as HB 116, are more inclined to expect someone else to foot the bill for their expenses. It's the entitlement attitude.

In the end, your attack on law abiding citizens is indefensible. Such an approach goes to show how weak your stance on the subject is.

As has been said so many times before, no society, anywhere, rich or poor, should condone, support, or reward illegal behavior. HB 116 is neither just nor merciful. Mercy cannot rob justice.

Oh, and what was it Jesus said to Judas when he complained that ointment could have been sold and given to the poor?

• SLars Provo, UT
    April 1, 2011 10:32 a.m.

How can this law be just, when Federal laws (immigration and labor)stop guest workers (visas holders) from taking jobs Americans are willing to do, and will not depress wages in the area? Many will sign up, only to find out they have to leave their current jobs if Americans want their job. Then they are out of work, and lose their guest worker pass. Will Utah then deport them? What about the poor that pack up their belongings and head here? Were are we going to find jobs for everyone, after all the Americans are employed? People are going to get hurt coming here, and finding it is a lost cause. That falls on the legislature and the governor.

Who makes sure they leave after 2 years? Utah? Will our police forces be used to enforce immigration laws? Didn't the Utah compact say it was a Federal job? Isn't that a direct contradiction?

So what is the true purpose of this bill?

Looking at the people and organizations that support this scares me. Are they going to be around to pick up the pieces of peoples lives that come here for work, and find us full?

• SLars Provo, UT
    April 1, 2011 3:40 p.m.

Is there a reason this is not included in the immigration section? It seems to be exclusion by design.

• ufound10 duquesne, pa
    April 1, 2011 6:46 p.m.

The Aliens are coming to your town soon ,at a staggering cost to you,and your culture.

• ufound10 duquesne, pa
    April 1, 2011 7:01 p.m.

Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich released figures from the Department of Public Social Services on Wednesday reporting that in January, $53 million in welfare benefits ($22 million CalWORKs plus $31 million in Food Stamps) were issued to parents who reside in the United States illegally and collect benefits for their native-born children in Los Angeles County. This represents an increase of $3 million from January 2010.
    During the 12 months of 2010, more than $625 million in CalWORKS ($265 million) plus Food Stamps ($360 million) were issued to children of illegal immigrants - a 10% increase from the previous year ($56 million). This amounts to approximately 22 percent of all CalWORKs and Food Stamp issuances in the County.

When you add the $625 million to the $550 million for public safety and nearly $500 million for healthcare, the total cost for illegal immigrants to County taxpayers exceeds $1.6 billion dollars a year not including the hundreds of millions of dollars for education, said Antonovich.