Utah

Groups launch petition drive to repeal records bill HB477

Comments

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2011 1:17 p.m.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2011 1:18 p.m.

'Lobbyists are not allowed inside House and Senate chambers during the legislative session, but text exchanges between lobbyists and legislators gives them access and power that would be unseen by the public under HB477.' - Article

*'E-mail raises new questions about influence of Herbert campaign contributions' - By John Daley and Lisa Riley Roche - DSNews - 09/28/2010
    Line:
    'SALT LAKE CITY Gov. Gary Herbert "should remember" that the construction company boss on his meeting schedule is a $50,000 first-time donor who wants to talk "about transportation construction and issues within the state."

Herbert gets $50,000 in donations.
    The donor gets a I-15 contract worth $1.7 billion.

Also, HB477 would PREVENT email searches, unless justification was given and fee's were paid....

just 6 months after the emails raised questions about, said donor and it's effect.

• hello_utah slc, utah
    March 17, 2011 1:31 p.m.

Isn't this legislation in conflict with Federal FOIA acts anyway? Won't the state waste hundreds of thousands of our money defending this bad legislation in federal lawsuits? What a stab in the back by our corrupt leadership. Et tu Legislature...

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2011 1:48 p.m.

I don't think Utah republican politicians understand their voters very well. I have liberal leanings but I grew up in a conservative gun wielding household and one thing that I know about Utah republicans is that they hate government secrecy just as equally as liberals. When my dad and I agree that a bill is altogether evil it truly must be.

Just tell me how and where to sign this petition and I'll bring my whole conservative family with me.

• stowaway Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Jordan High School. Tonight 6 p.m.

• libertarian Cedar City, UT
    March 17, 2011 2:29 p.m.

"The enemy of my enemy is. . ."
    Interesting how a common enemy can bring opposing sides together. It looks like the legislature has done exactly that. The only winners will be the lawyers (as usual) as the lawsuits fly.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2011 3:15 p.m.

I never thought I'd see the day when Utah government become self serving.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2011 3:16 p.m.

I can't believe I'm typing these words. But I am actually agreeing with Ross Anderson on this. There I did it. It's typed out. This might be the only common ground that I will ever have with Ross.

Government needs to be transparant and open to the public. I'm not saying national security and their personal private conversations. But, for the most part we should have access and knowledge on how decisions are made and who is influencing those decisions.

At the same time, even politicians need the ability to have a private conversation that is not broadcast to the world. But, if they're accepting bribes and making deals, we should know about it.

If they wanted to debate a topic and get their thoughts and ideas together, that should be private. If they're meeting with a lobbyist then it should be public...

It will be interesting to see how they divide what is public and what is private.....

• Paul H West Valley, UT
    March 17, 2011 3:23 p.m.

Delaying the implementation date of HB477 was totally meaningless.
    Scheduling a work group do discuss HB477 is meaningless.
    Calling a special session to repeal it NEXT WEEK would be a step in the right direction.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    March 17, 2011 3:33 p.m.

If Rocky Anderson and the Democrats are in favor of repeal, we know that repeal will be bad for Utah.

• Rainman Syracuse, UT
    March 17, 2011 3:44 p.m.

I think the government should be able to hide whatever they want from the public. They know what's best for the people. If they say we don't need to know something, I'm sure it's for a very good reason. I mean, they would never do anything sneaky or underhanded. Seriously, why this lack of trust for our fine politicians? I just don't understand it! I love living in the United States of China.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2011 3:47 p.m.

'If Rocky Anderson and the Democrats are in favor of repeal, we know that repeal will be bad...' - Wayne Rout | 3:33 p.m.

Isn't that WHY Utah got Herbert, who signed HB477 into law. Preventing transparency from lawmakers to you....

and why George W. Bush was elected, and signed the Patriot Act, TSA?

Which allows the goverment to do warrentless searches to your property, emails, phones and person?

Just keep voting that 'R' there....

• Cedarite Cedar City, UT
    March 17, 2011 3:48 p.m.

Wayne, when exactly did complete secrecy and darkness in government become a conservative ideal?

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    March 17, 2011 4:47 p.m.

I'm sure there is a fan of HB477: The Kremlin. This bill sounds like Soviet Union-esque government secrecy and corruption. Buttars had an issue with what type of government we are. Maybe the legislature thinks we are a Soviet socialist republic? The Utah State Socialist Republic (USSR)?

• berf Perry, UT
    March 17, 2011 4:58 p.m.

You know something is wrong with a bill when you have Rocky and the Tea Party and the Women League of Voters shaking hands. Wake up legislators. This will be an election issue. Did you or did you not vote for this bill? We (Republicans and Democrats alike) will not forget! If you voted for it and chose not to do anything you will be replaced. We need to make sure that the voting records are clear.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    March 17, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Every legislator that passed this better get voted out.

Either they were scared to vote their conscience or they were too dumb or lazy to understand what they were doing.

Now we are going to waste way too much $$$ on this mess when it could have been going to our schools where it is desperately needed.

Time to clean house.

The pride cycle is coming around full circle once again.

• La Tortuga Murray, UT
    March 17, 2011 5:04 p.m.

You know how you know you're wrong? You've got Rocky Anderson and the Tea Party joining forces against you... I think hell just froze over...

• So-CalAggie Anaheim, CA
    March 17, 2011 6:08 p.m.

Don't stop with the repeal of the bill, go after the guy who wrote it and those who supported it too! It's time people sent their lawmakers a message that they can no longer act without impunity just because they have an "R" (in Utah - or a "D" by their name in States controlled by the Dems). It's a good lesson why people should think before they vote and consider the person, not the party. Problem you get with a supermajority is that those in power start to think they can push forward any piece of legislation they want and no one, no constituent will say a word about it! Its wrong for all parties to think this way. It's why a balance to be struck when voting in State elections is a good thing. Too many people head to the polls with their blinders on and punch the strait ticket. No matter what your party affiliation is, this is wrong! Vote the person, not the party, and don't give any one party that much control and power! Remember vouchers? Those lawmakers still think you were wrong about that.

• Justmythoughts Richfield, UT
    March 17, 2011 6:17 p.m.

I never thought I would agree with Rocky Anderson about anything....I guess I was wrong. This bill needs to be repealed. The state legislature have totally over-reached. It's time for a few of them to lose their jobs.

• zeus West Jordan, UT
    March 17, 2011 7:00 p.m.

What a bunch of stand up dudes. They got a B+ and those gosh darn teachers are causing our society to collapse...so back off people!!!

• FargoUT Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2011 7:04 p.m.

When you have the vast majority of the electorate disgruntled with a bill, there's a serious problem with the bill. It was passed along with immigration reform, which I honestly think was meant to overshadow the HB477 passage. Luckily, we have not fallen for it. I will be signing this petition, and I sincerely hope they are able to gather the necessary signatures.

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    March 17, 2011 11:15 p.m.

So...Carl Wimmer and Rocky Anderson are together on this.

The End Is Near.

I am still against HB477, but when those two, ah, "colorful individuals" are on the same page on anything, it's enough to make any sane person think twice.

• dld kearns, ut
    March 18, 2011 12:16 a.m.

The comment made it will blow over in a week is history.
    You career politicians are coming to an end and quickly.
    Americans have had enough of your one sided voting with total disregard for what the people of Utah want. Your dictating days are over.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2011 12:31 a.m.

As it is, Utah enjoys an international reputation as the fraud capital of the country. HB116 helps to cement its reputation as the political corruption capital as well. Why am I not surprised by HB477 now? They go hand in hand don't they.

• nehimomma Parsons, KS
    March 18, 2011 1:29 a.m.

Leave it to the Utah Legislature to make me wanna agree with Rocky Anderson.

Now I gotta poke a fork in my eye...bah

do the right thing R's in Utah. Repeal the stupid Law...don't waste a stupid amount of money on this...cause you'll lose. You have better things to worry about...like how you can shove more children into classrooms..

• David B. Cedar City, UT
    March 18, 2011 1:43 a.m.

Lobbyists must be kept out of the capital.Everything must be transparent to all that way we can act(the people). The more the gov't is secretive in their dealing the worse it gets for the people then the people have no recourse.Heck does it really matter anymore? They're going to do it anyway whether we like it or not.

• liberalinutah St. George, UT
    March 18, 2011 7:06 a.m.

Lockhart's latest comments. . .

"Lockhart would not directly answer two key questions about the bill specifically, who was behind the bill, and whether she regrets how HB477 was handled."

She also stated on television interviews that she ran on a transparency in government platform (as did Herbert) and believes she has honored that platform. Then she says "I am a process person". . .I take that to mean she was happy with the process HB477 took.

Now Herbert is saying he felt uncomfortable with the process and uncomfortable with the product.

Then another legislator says what is now happening is "good" and exactly what he wanted to happen by promoting the bill. . .

Liars are liars, regardless of how they want to spin and oh, how the spinners are at work now....all in a shameless attempt to save their political careers and that even includes a family member of ours.

• Nicky Gee Farmington, Utah
    March 18, 2011 7:25 a.m.

The problem we have is this: We say whatever the Dems are for we are against. Then, if the Dems become against it we say we are for it.

-- What we should be saying is: These are my values, these are my principles. I will individually look to see if a suggestion is supporting those.

----Openness and transparency in Government has always been a valued principle by Repubs and Dems.

This time in our legislature the Democrats 'stayed the course' and voted for keeping openness and transparency while our GOP representatives swam like flemings in the wrong direction.

Powell makes a point we've all known happens: Legislative Leaders do pressure legislators to vote in a particular way at times. Why should that ever occur? My legislator may be voting against their constituents will.

• Chickenchaser Centralia, WA
    March 18, 2011 8:02 a.m.

Sure don't want to display my ignorance, but I was also sure the legislature would kill this bill and have the sponsor's funeral the same day. Then again this reflects the secrecy notion so patently safeguarded in Utah.

Are we being driven toward business as usual policies just like D.C.?

• Bruce Edward Walker Midland, MI
    March 18, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Congratulations to the fine people of Utah of all political stripes and backgrounds who are raising their voices against this ill-considered piece of legislation.

• legalimmigrant Springville, Utah
    March 18, 2011 9:08 a.m.

I will be happy to sign this petition - btw, when are we going to start a petition to repeal HB 116, the bill that grants illegal aliens work permits after paying a fine and opens the door to importing workers from Mexico?

• JGatesUT Bountiful, Utah
    March 18, 2011 9:11 a.m.

All this fuss, and all the while many of our elected representatives had heard the cry of the people and took action to police themselves. Yes, for some they had second thoughts; my Senator called for pulling it back early and admitted "we got it wrong". We the people have over the past years allowed our representatives to believe they were making the right choices because we were silent. We complained to each other, at the water cooler, but we didn't engage in actual conversation with these people. They are human beings and do make mistakes, but it is OUR JOB to communicate to them on a consistent basis what we like and what we do not like.

We walk into the booth and elect them, then walk away and never talk to them again until the next campaign. I'm pretty sure that if I was voting during the session and no one called me to tell me what they wanted me to do; I would believe that the people just agreed with me. IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY, as their boss, to give them periodic reviews and instructions. That's what bosses do.

• nomo Draper, UT
    March 18, 2011 9:18 a.m.

If this bill were voted upon by the people of Utah it would go down in a devastating defeat, yet our representatives voted for it..Go figure. How bout the Gov, he signs the bill then says now he doesn't like it?. The Speaker of the House has set new standards in double talk that may never be equaled in the annuls of Utah history. When ploiticians will not even name the person who wrote the Bill what does that tell you..But rejoice they gave themselves a B+..

• JNA Layton, UT
    March 18, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Psst Pagan, I didn't know if you knew it or not but George Bush hasn't been President for quite a while. The guy in the Oval Office now is much worse though.

I have never agreed with Rocky Anderson on anything until now. Shame on our legislators..shame on you.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2011 10:15 a.m.

'Psst Pagan, I didn't know if you knew it or not but George Bush hasn't been President for quite a while.' - JNA | 9:51 a.m.

So, JNA, that means Bush didn't sign the Patriot Act into law now?

Cursory Wiki search:

'The USA PATRIOT Act (commonly known as the "Patriot Act") is an Act of the U.S. Congress that was signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 26, 2001.'

The 2001 Republican controlled congress.

The constant claims that Obama should 'fix' our problems...

means that Bush LEFT them for Obama to fix. Cut and run much?

You try to IGNORE who passed the patriot act, while trying to say that OTHERS should fix it.

Shame?

Shame on those who CREATE problems and then run away.
    Shame on those who try to DEFLECT responsibility for something they created...onto others.
    Shame on those who claim to SERVE the public, and then work so they don't have to ANSWER to the public.

Trying to forget Bush are we JNA?

Republicans voted Bush into office...twice.

And voted for Herbert...who signed HB477...into law.

• Trooper55 Williams, AZ
    March 18, 2011 10:54 a.m.

It's good to see the people band together to try to stop the things believe in.My hat is off to you, and I hope you the people of Utah can get the bill off the books.

• RShackleford Saint George, UT
    March 18, 2011 11:39 a.m.

(on Passing This bill) "has given us the opportunity, the great opportunity to have this discussion, to engage the public."--Speaker Lockhart

Well Thank you Ms. Pelosi!
    And I always thought our Legislators were to engage us in conversation and then represent us. But it looks like the way it works is they pass legislation and see if we care enough to engage them...

Where do I sign?

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    March 18, 2011 12:10 p.m.

What a different cast of characters. I'm with them on this one. Secrecy is for the underworld, unless it involves national security.
    The only time secrecy for the dems is a noble thing is when Obama gets to have private conversations on his blackberry with rev. wright, Bill Ayers and others.
    Well, at least in this instance we are on the same page.

• Janell West Valley City, Ut
    March 18, 2011 12:14 p.m.

JGatesUt,
    You're right, the legislators should listen to what the people say and if we remain silent we are partially at fault for their errors. However, in this case the people DID speak loud and clear about this bill (in the short time it was unveiled until it was too quickly passed). The Gov. certainly knew how the people felt, seeing as he watched a
    demonstration on the Courthouse steps and received a tremendous amount of email opposing it.
    Yet, he signed it anyway. I found it extremely insulting that the Gov. claimed he signed it so there would be time to "discuss" it afterward. In plain English, taking time to talk about it really means that they will let you rant and rail about the unfairness of it, but then they will go back smugly to their cushy offices, thinking they have condescended to listen to the will of the people, but change nothing and the let the law stand, as is.
    I'm proud of the Utahns who have stepped up to the plate to repeal the law and those who will sign the petitions. Now if we can only do the same for hb116.

• county mom Monroe, UT
    March 18, 2011 4:18 p.m.

where is the petition? Is it in central Utah?

• theyareallcorrupt West Valley City, Ut
    March 18, 2011 4:56 p.m.

We need to investigate this session of the legislature for criminal and ethical wrongdoing. Writing unconstitutional laws for the benefit of your corporate donors is wrong. Proposing laws that were written by lobbiests from a 501c3 group is illegal. Our lawmakers have unapolagetically joined lobbiest groups and pass laws for their benefit. They belong in prison.

• David Centerville, UT
    March 18, 2011 5:18 p.m.

You want to know what happens when the legislature recognizes that they have done something stupid, and that a referendum will embarrass the legislature and reverse something they want?

Just look at the ethics reform referendum. The legislature "triangulated" the effort by passing their own "ethics reform" to take the air out of the citizens referendum. The legislature then changed the rules and laws around the referendum process, making it more difficult to successfully carry out a referendum and get it on the ballot.

Our legislators think we are stupid. They think that we know nothing, and that we must simply trust our legislators...they will tell us what is right, what is good, and what we should do. "Here, watch what my right hand is doing" while the left hand is taking money and power from citizens.

Just watch for the "changes" that will occur to HB477 before the referendum is completed. Legislators will try hard now to protect their power, their status, their positions. They will work very hard to make us forget their arrogance.

Tell me where to sign this referendum. After that I will vote against any legislator that supported HB477.

• David Centerville, UT
    March 18, 2011 5:20 p.m.

I will be voting against our current governor as well.

• donquixote84721 Cedar City, UT
    March 18, 2011 6:40 p.m.

Our elected officials knew this was wrong, and that is why they snicked it in and rushed its approval. Everyone that voted for this measure should be recalled as they are representing themselves, not the people that elected them.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    March 20, 2011 3:36 p.m.

The whole process of this Speaker of the House made any other legislative positive action for naught. There are too many questions why she fast-tracked and slammed dunk this HB477. Is it her husband's influence? Is it the Tea Party's influence, is it the Eagle Forum influence? One has to have Integrity and Honesty to maintain an open and honest discussion with the public. To withhold information and the process from her fellow legislators is a disgrace to the process if she wants to maintain a civility with her party. It is more than a party aspect. Utah is know for honesty and openess in our process. She has made it so legislators are now backtracking to maintain their own descency and honor, now that the quick process is unfolding. If you do 99 good things and the next one is egregious to the public and openess and Integrity of the system, the B+ you gave yourselves, to the C Dr. Jowers gave to F- is a failure for any other part of the legislature. Trying to save any part of this HB477, if there is a sponsor will be a failure.