Utah

2011 Utah Legislature ends; immigration, GRAMA and feral cats focus

Comments

• Maj1972 Orem, Utah
    March 11, 2011 5:40 a.m.

This was the worst legislative session I have seen in a long time! So now we have no rights when it comes to know what our elective representatives are doing via e-mail, texting, voice-mail and etc. They are going to allow illegals to get work permits which means taking more jobs from Utahns! Who do they work for? Well, it looks like not us! I believe it is time to start reminding them who they work for...us! We are their bosses! Its time to make sure that what they did here will be remembered at the ballot box when they are up for re-election!!!

• open minded Lehi, UT
    March 11, 2011 7:50 a.m.

Too bad we'll once again be reaping the rewards years from now: especially when no one is becoming a teacher in Utah after all the anti-public education bills passed.

• Charles History Tooele, UT
    March 11, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Good the legislature ends - enough damage 400 new bills.

Our Utah Legislature will; make money for the select few, hurt the children of Utah, provide more government secrecy, and pray to the alter of the all mighty gun.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington DC, MD
    March 11, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Government secrecy has existed for decades. When there is secrecy, there is corruption. I used to be big into states rights, but it seems to me that the states are selling out to the fed.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    March 11, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Lack of diligence cannot be a criticism of the Utah Legislators. They worked hard. I do not enjoy being critical of others. I do not live in Utah but my grandchildren do and hence my interest. We are faced with class warfare as bad as it ever was. To deny this is being ostrich like. However, I do not believe the problem lies mostly with the ignorant masses clamoring for entitlements but more with the arrogant and disdaining attitudes of the Koch brothers and their ilk. The increasing shift of wealth to the top 5%, or less, accompanied with shifts to regressive taxation is simply not sustainable.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:54 a.m.

'SALT LAKE CITY Illegal immigration and open records may have dominated the 2011 Legislature that ended at midnight Thursday but lawmakers spent plenty of time talking about feral cats, too.' - Article

Worst. Legislature. Ever.

• Independent Woman West Jordan, UT
    March 11, 2011 12:46 p.m.

What the heck did Waddoups mean when he said "Government is intended to be hard"? Is that in his beloved Constitution? I don't think so.

• THM Cedar City, UT
    March 11, 2011 2:02 p.m.

Food for thought: take a look at some of the "conversations" that happen via text messages. For example, how many former Utah school teachers are now in prison for abusing their former students and some of the most crucial evidence that put them there were their text messages, or just yesterday SMU was punished by the NCAA for violations that were found in text messages, and the list goes on and on. Point is, along with the good there is also a lot of shifty business that takes place through text messages. HB477 is Disneyland for lobbyists - especially shady ones. WAKE UP UTAH!

• Norm Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2011 3:54 p.m.

I agree this has been one of most frustrating session I have seen in my 60 years of following the results of our legislators. It is time to remove some or most of the senior legislators. When they make statements that they disregard what the voters want because they know best what Utah needs. I thought they were elected to do what the majority of there constituents want. Our elected officails caved in to the various religious churches, big business and farmers/ranchers. With the new immigration bills that invite a guest worker program and allowed they can bring in there families including cousins nephew's grandparents and with that opening the families will grow to hundreds for one guest worker. Who pays for all the beneifits they will recieve, one guest worker who will be paying taxes on $8.00 a hour wages. We need a change on the hill. We need legislators that put the Utah legal population ahead of illegal immigrants. What cost will it be to monitor the program if they do, what enforcement is required if any. Please someone explain to this old man.

• frelsi Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Although I did not vote for them, my Rep.Jackie Biscupski and Senator Ross Romero, both Democrats, honored their Oath of Office to defend my Civil Liberties by voting against HB477.They have gained my respect and my vote.

• Claudie4 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:45 p.m.

Get rid of the caucus system..