BYU basketball: Jimmer Fredette wins more praise from ESPN

Comments

• rogerdpack Orem, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 12:22 p.m.

Now if they can just win on Wednesday...

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Jan. 24, 2011 1:37 p.m.

He is no Danny Ainge.

• J1234 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2011 2:06 p.m.

@Johnny

Neither are you.. But Danny Ainge is no Jimmer. Times are different and both are special in their respective styles. Quit being a downer.

• bobkee Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 2:08 p.m.

Give it a few years and their will be tons of little Jimmers in Happy Valley.

• Penguin Inc. SLC, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 2:10 p.m.

This fellow is a terrific basketball player. I wish him all the success in the world. Keep up the good work, my friend. You deserve it!

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Jan. 24, 2011 2:10 p.m.

What in the name of Danny Ainge is going on here? Great national pub. Can't wait for Weds against against the Aztecs. Let's see a Cougs dominating effort to put the Aztecs and, most importantly, their fans in their place!

• Serenity Now American Fork, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Love the Curly Neal comparison. He does dribble like a Globetrotter....

• Proud Father Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 2:16 p.m.

I'm a Utah fan and generally hope to see BYU lose.

I've enjoyed following this BYU team and can't help but pull for them. I think Jimmer's a great player and respect the way he handles himself on and off the court.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'll be cheering for BYU when March rolls around.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Keep on coming Jimmer and Cougars!

• Mortoon Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 24, 2011 3:34 p.m.

Someone tell Jimmer that this game is a road game!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 4:15 p.m.

Proud Father;
    There are many who feel the same as you do on both sides of the fence. I left Utah for several years and found myself really looking forward to seeing Utah football games. 2004 was incredible. I also pulled for Utah's Bball team back when they were in the NCAA tournament for several years. Although I am a USU and BYU fan first, I realize that success for any school in the state is good for all of them. Who knows; maybe you will be cheering for BYU football next fall...maybe
    Stay classy.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 4:57 p.m.

I too have cheered for this team for the past two years and have no love for the Cougars. Jimmer's added some passing this year that wasn't there last season and it's fun to watch. Of course when he pulls up and nails a 30" J and then takes the guy to the hole the next two times it's a blast.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 24, 2011 5:23 p.m.

I see Jimmer's #32 jersey hanging next to Danny Ainge's in the MC someday soon!

• Where do eggs come from Sandy, Ut
    Jan. 24, 2011 6:31 p.m.

If Jimmer can play with his team and keep his head from getting to large BYU could go all the way. He has a hard time realizing that when four are guarding him that he has three quality teammates that are open. If he doesn't learn this basic rule he will never make it in the MBA.

• LOTR Baltimore, MD
    Jan. 24, 2011 6:31 p.m.

KSL is running a "Vote and rank your favorite Jimmer 3 from deep" poll.

ummm, WOW!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 24, 2011 7:26 p.m.

This is really a great time for basketball history in the state of Utah. Jimmer is amazing and it's fun to be able to watch the legend unfold. BYU, Jimmer is getting tons of props and deservedly so. The three point line will never be the same again.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:21 p.m.

The irony is that without the "mono" last year that caused a greatly reduced performance, Jimmer would be in the NBA with a guaranteed contract. So a year later, the illness is a blessing to Cougartown and a curse to all the haters that fill the comment sections with their dubious comments.

• Teddy Bear Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 24, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Are there any official meaurements for these deep three pointers that Jimmer has made?

• B C Park City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 10:59 p.m.

I've heard that the shot from the Marriott logo against TCU was officially measured at 31 feet.

The half-court buzzer beater against Utah was about 42 feet.

The official NCAA 3-point distance for men is 20.75 ft. For the NBA it's 23.75 ft.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:05 a.m.

If you look at objectively, Jimmer might be better the Larry Bird or Jordan.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 25, 2011 11:24 a.m.

I don't know why everyone is trying to compare Jimmer to Ainge or Nash or Pistol Pete or . . .

Jimmer is different than all of them. I was too young to watch Ainge during his college years. And, I don't know if Jimmer will have as much success in the NBA as Ainge. Maybe we'll have more for all I know?

All I know is that Jimmer is the most exciting college player I have ever watched play the game. I am enjoying every minute of the Cougars success this year. Even my non-Mormon neighbors have started coming over to my house to watch the BYU games, to cheer for Jimmer (since I have The Mtn on DirecTV)