Utah

Provo Tabernacle fire creates a complicated jigsaw puzzle

Comments

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Dec. 28, 2010 4:57 p.m.

It's heartbreaking to see it like this. I hope they can and will preserve what they can and rebuild the rest.

• Taylor Orem, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 11:45 p.m.

Thank you, DN, for these articles and pictures of the Tabernacle we so loved and cherished.

I'm grateful to have worshiped, attended numerous events, and enjoyed the Tabernacle in the many years I have lived in Utah Valley. What great memories!

I feel for our loss, with many others.

• OSS-A Godvik, Norway
    Dec. 29, 2010 7:21 a.m.

Looking at these pictures make me so sad, but I choose to remember the wonderful times I had singing in the Tabernacle as part of the BYU Men's Chorus, as well as attending Christmas concerts and Stake Conferences in this building.

• Lyle Springville, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 8:20 a.m.

I just hope that the LDS Church realizes that if they decide to restore the building, they will have no problem raising whatever funds are necessary. They need only mention a dollar amount and tell us where to send it.

Indeed, they may already have raised it in the Zion's Bank account that's been set up!

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 12:07 p.m.

Still brings tears to my eyes

• Zadruga Guy West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 1:21 p.m.

Undoubtedly, the Church would be able to raise funds needed to rebuild the building. The question, though, is whether the building should be rebuilt at all, and, if so, whether it should be rebuilt like it was, or replaced with something more functional.

Let's face it. The Church only rarely used the building for actual Church meetings. It was used much more often by commmunity and BYU groups. I thus suspect that there might be more worthy and urgent needs for the Church's funds.

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 1:50 p.m.

I beg to differ Zadruga Guy- as I understand it 2/3 of the Sundays in every year the Tabernacle hosted Stake Conferences, sometimes twice a day- this was a very well used building- church, community, education

• Bob Pomeroy Bisbee, AZ
    Dec. 29, 2010 1:53 p.m.

Please rebuild it. Surely a good architect can add more functionality to it. It should not be a matter of money at all.

• snowman Provo, UT
    Jan. 2, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Zadruga Guy: It was used all the time. It was in use the night it burned.