U.S. & World

Deseret News in Haiti: Med student discovers a daughter to adopt

Comments

• JanSan
    Jan. 24, 2010 11:37 p.m.

What a sweet story. I wish this new all the love they deserve and hope for a speedy home coming.

• CP
    Jan. 25, 2010 2:19 a.m.

This was the most touching story I have ever read. What a wonderful beginning for a sweet little girl. I'm sure she will be home with her new family where she can finally get proper care and food. What a sweet blessing for this wonderful couple who waited so long to find their little girl.

• got a question
    Jan. 25, 2010 5:50 a.m.

Such a wonderful story--
    but I have to ask-where in the world are they in the picture where they are playing with the little toy kitchen set?
    It looks like someplace not to be found in Haiti ever.

Thanks Scott for another great story.

• Grateful
    Jan. 25, 2010 7:20 a.m.

I am humbled by the generosity of these people, and awed by those who are so willing to share their means to rebuild a devastated orphanage. The world needs more people like the ones in this story.

• Martha
    Jan. 25, 2010 7:50 a.m.

I certainly do not understand how "Distasteful Kidnapping" can be so negative to such a heartwarming story???? Some people are not happy unless they are putting someone else down. I would love to have a couple of these orphaned children myself to care for and put through school. How do you know that he will not teach his adopted daughter about her country?? This is beautiful and I hope that more children will be taken in. With the numbers so staggering, there will probably be many orphans in Haiti who will live in an orphanage until they are adults, if they are lucky. I've seen so many pictures of children wandering the streets with little clothing on and it just breaks my heart. Congratulations to Bill Betz and his wife and new little girl!

• What?!?!?!?
    Jan. 25, 2010 7:50 a.m.

Kidnapping? Are you crazy? This child's family is dead. How could you possibly think this is anything but a wonderful thing this person is doing? And what home do you think this little girl should be returned to?

Your attitude is nothing short of astounding to me.

• To Distasteful kidnapping
    Jan. 25, 2010 7:50 a.m.

Did you read the article? The girl's parents died in the earthquake. Would you rather her grow up in a Haitian orphanage? She will be loved in her new family, and given opportunities she never would have had in Haiti. It is not criminal to want to give someone a better life. It is compassion.

• Re: Distasteful kidnapping
    Jan. 25, 2010 7:52 a.m.

"...with no intent to return them to their homes." What homes? These are children with no home, no parents, no family other than the orphanage, no hope. What a distorted, negative view on life you have. What about considering compassion and providing a home and hope to those that have neither?

• Distasteful
    Jan. 25, 2010 7:55 a.m.

what else is distasteful is the cost for adoption, people that collect the monies or the governments that collect the revenue are doing nothing but human trafficking.

This is a a great story, in the way that this girl has no living family & now she will have a couple that really wants to take care of her.

• Eric...
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:08 a.m.

This is a powerful story, but the comment about distateful kidnapping is clearly misguided. Anyone who takes a malnourished, orphaned child into their home is not kidnapping. What is the alternative? Keep the child in an impoverished orphanage without access to food, healthcare, education, etc. They will make a wonderful family--shame on anyone for judging this couple's desire to provide love and care.

• Huh?
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:11 a.m.

To "Distasteful kidnappig":

Would you rather this child (and other children like her) continue to live as orphans for the rest of their lives, malnourished and with little hope for a bright future. Your condemnation of this scenerio is mindboggling!

• Daniel
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:12 a.m.

I don't know. The phrase that is most troubling to me is "her parents said to have died". I think that we need to tread lightly here. As one who has lived in Haiti, I can attest that there are plenty of children who have been in orphanages for years who are adoption candidates. To push forward with the adoption of a child on the premise that her parents may have died in this recent disaster is inappropriate in my opinion. While this may be a touching story to some, an exhaustive effort ought to be mounted to find her parents, grandparents or other relatives before taking this sweet little girl away. No matter how worthy & deserving these prospective parents appear to be, there is vast potential for impropriety here.

• @ "Kidnapping" and "Question"
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:13 a.m.

@"Distasteful Kidnapping"

And what, exactly, do you think will happen to those children who are NOT adopted from Haiti during this crisis? Even before the earthquake, the Haitian adoption agencies were not exactly functioning smoothly. In the aftermath of the earthquake, those agencies will be too swamped to provide adequate services, and children like Lauren will probably starve unless someone adopts them quickly. This is not the time to fuss about rules; little kids' lives are at stake.

@got a question:
    The article says that the rescue volunteers are living in a "sprawling compound" owned by a construction magnate. Maybe he and his wife have a toy kitchen set. In Haiti.

• to Distateful
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:14 a.m.

The only distasteful story here is your comment.

Obviously you know nothing about Haiti. You know nothing of the disease. You know nothing of the contempt the government has for the orphaned children which is exactly what happen with Lauren if she is left there. They are left to die in the streets, to drink from ditches along side of animals and animal droppings. They are left to starve. They are ignored.

No Distasteful, the people who go to Haiti to help have kind gentle souls. I hope many children come home with them to find warm homes with food, education, and most of all love.

So, Distasteful, you go ahead and sit there on your computer and do all the judging you want but when you get ready for the day, stand in front of your mirror and ask yourself, what have you done to help the Haitian people today and long term.

• HOPE....
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:22 a.m.

Kidnapping.. are you sick and crazy? so.... let's leave these little children there in a country torn apart, very little food,(of which is being brought in), a lack of potable water, etc etc... to NEVER have a loving family and home life.

This beautiful child deserves a home, with parents who will nurture, teach and guide through lifes trials; she will surely face.

Did you read how most of the children in this orphanage were brought there?

I for one think this is a WONDERFUL STORY and made me weep to think this little one has a future!

Thanks for an article filled with HOPE in this seemingly HOPELESS situation there for the people of Haiti.

May God bless you and your efforts. All who are there giving aid to those who are suffering!

• Shari
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:39 a.m.

in regard to "distasteful kidnapping" - wow, what a sad person. There is only love to be seen in this story. To think it better for this little girl to live in a makeshift home with no food or clothes, illness that comes from such - I'm just not sure what a person like that could be thinking. I'm so glad she found a family that wants to bring her into their home and raise her and give her a life. I hope they don't suffer through too many of the hardships that adoptive parents go through in a situation like that.

• To distatestful
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:50 a.m.

Obviously you have never felt the pain of not being able to have a child. You must have some pain in your life for something. What a wonderful guesture to give a girl a better life. She will be surrounded by people who truly love and appreciate her.

• omi won kenobi
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:53 a.m.

Obviously "Distasteful" is just a young inexperienced kid. He/she does not understand the horrors of this world. I am a grandma of 60, and would take a child in a heartbeat. Where do I sign up? I hope that there are many thousands more of families like the Betz's who will take in the orphaned children of Haiti and give them a chance at life. I went to the LDS webpage and they have a donation site. I felt it was the one safe place to give money to help Haiti.

• The....
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:54 a.m.

best of luck to the young couple and God Bless...

• Wonderful story
    Jan. 25, 2010 9:17 a.m.

Time for me to change my attitude of Brandt Andersen (formed after his terrible Michael Jordan PR stunt recently). Good for him for giving aid and helping out.

• SLH
    Jan. 25, 2010 9:45 a.m.

I love these pictures! Congratulations to the new parents and best of luck to the people creating the new orphanage. What a wonderful story.

• Ralph T
    Jan. 25, 2010 10:13 a.m.

This story brought tears to my eyes...and I'm at work! Sure hope no one walks into my office and sess me blubbering over my keyboard. What a beautiful way to bring something good out of something so horrific. I'm sure her parents are smiling down from heaven.

• K
    Jan. 25, 2010 10:29 a.m.

And I am an adoptive parent from a child born overseas.

If someone wants to adopt there are processes to go through. Even with Haiti you don't fly to an orphanage and pick one out.

Adoption should be about family building. Not the knee jerk response to a tragedy. Who wants to be a parent's visable sign to their community of a "good deed" performed?

These kids already will go through trama and have delays from nurtition gaps. Now there is the earthquake. Placing them in a home that's drastically different from their environment. Not seeing many from their ethnicity and culture. When you adopt you go through meetings/interviews with social workers, take classes on the above topics to help deal, gather paperwork on every detail of your life financial, marital, education, work, extended family. You invite people to inspect your home. There are rules regarding age, weight, heath of parents, number of kids in the home.

A person who is on the ground and sees a child hasn't gone through any of this process yet. They have no idea what they are getting into or even if it's possible to adopt?

• Steve Weinberger
    Jan. 25, 2010 10:37 a.m.

I will add to what I said when Bill and Amy first emailed me. Not only am I overwhelmed with gratitude that I can call you both family, but I am grateful that you keep the spirit and listen to it. You are truly blessed to have the means to be there and help in such a huge way. I have no doubt the blessings you will receive from Lauren will drastically overshadow the effort it has required. Please let me know how we can help in ANY way.

• utah's way of intergrating
    Jan. 25, 2010 11:19 a.m.

cute story though. People are going down there to like pick out their future children. Sounds a bit weird to me.

• Question
    Jan. 25, 2010 11:38 a.m.

I looked on the Haiti adoptive website and it said that in order to be qualified to adopt, you have to be married for 10 years, and be over 30. I am 24 years old and my husband is 25. We've been married for almost 3 years and have had infertility problems. I would love to adopt, but if I'm not qualified then there's nothing I can do right? I can provide a good stable environment, more love than any child could ask for, food, water... why are they putting a qualified status on there? Wouldn't they want children to be adopted so they can grow up educated and healthy and happy and loved? Does anyone know anything about this that could help me?

• K
    Jan. 25, 2010 11:49 a.m.

My comment didn't go through.

In the last 6 years in stable time about 300 adoptions to the US took place from Haiti. That is with an "orphan" count of 300,000 plus.

Pet-store mentality. I am upset this phrase is used in the story.

To Question. There are programs you are qualified for. Just not this one. If someone really wants to adopt they will look into various programs, see which qualifications they meet. Discourage what challenges they are comfortable facing: FAS, conspicuous families, breaks in attachment such as is seen but not limited to foster care kids, orphanage developmental delays, special need children..

We can care for orphans and still not adopt them. The child in question was brought to an orphanage but that doesn't mean all family is dead. Earthquakes don't happen when everyone is home. Parent could be injured somewhere so neighbors too her there. Most in orphanages there aren't orphaned. Their parents can't feed them. But even though kids can't necessarily get out of the orphanage. Parent's wouldn't bring their children there if they knew they wouldn't have them back again.

• K
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:05 p.m.

If you look at the website the US government has talking about intercountry adoption and Haiti there is a special message dated on the 22nd.

"We understand that other Americans, moved by images of children in need, want to open their homes and adopt other Haitian children who had not been identified for adoption before the earthquake. The State Department advises against this course of action at this time. Intercountry adoption involves strict safeguards and legal requirements that must be met to protect children from illegal adoptions, abduction, sale and child-trafficking as well as to ensure that any adoption is in the best interests of the child."

Children who are coming home were already adopted or the 18 month adoption period was well underway, it just takes months after for the official adoption passports and VISA's to get done. Most kids coming to the US have already taken the name of their adoptive families long before the quake.

• K
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:08 p.m.

Actually the parents both need to be 35, if one is under 35 they must be married 10 years.

• I agree
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:11 p.m.

With Daniel and K.

While this story is "heartwarming" and I applaud what many are doing for the children of Haiti, it is my hope that whoever wants to follow suit do so cautiously and do so by educating themselves properly and not rely primarily on emotional grounds. Or should we do so to gratify our own desire.

Yes, it is downright tragic but these children do not need our pity nor do we need to patronize them for what we perceive they lack. They do need more than a handout. These are REAL children with REAL stories.

I have worked with and met many who "initially thought" it was a good idea (because I'm helping someone else) to save the "less fortunate" from their world.

But when the emotional need subsides and reality hits, the children only end up becoming the victims of our own misdirected intentions.

• Great story
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:13 p.m.

How could you go down there to help and no bring back an orphan? Those poor children that are suffering so much. I hope the adoption process is sped up to save more of these kids.

• Wow!
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:18 p.m.

"Though not a Mormon, Laurent has opened his home, guesthouse and compound this week to a visiting team of LDS volunteer doctors and nurses from Utah and the rest of the United States providing post-quake care."

Does that mean that there are actually *gasp* decent and generous non-Mormons out there? My entire foundation is rocked by this news.

• Adoption Inquiry
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:32 p.m.

I see these stories, yet see adoption agency websites indicating that they aren't doing any adoptions through Haiti at the moment. That the first priority is to link children with possible extended family or neighbors in the area who would care for these children. Where do those who are interested in adopting find information?

• Mc
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:41 p.m.

@K "Parent's wouldn't bring their children there if they knew they wouldn't have them back again."

This is not true. Before the earthquake most orphanages in Haiti were filled with children who had living Haitian parents who placed them there because they could not feed or care for them. They had to agree to let them be adopted when they left them there. The orphanages were supported by adoptive parents who sent money each month until their adoptions go through. The biological parents do have to sign the final papers before the children are able to leave with their new parents, but if the parents do not sign the child will be returned to them, not able to stay in the orphanage. One of our Haitian granddaughters was once returned to her birth mother because she misbehaved and the orphanage thought that no one would want to adopt her.

Generally, Americans have no concept of things in Haiti. You cannot think of it in terms of what would be normal or accepted in the US. And now, after the earthquake, it's even less like American life or standards.

• Billl's Mom,
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Bill did not go the Haiti to adopt. He went to help with providing medical aid to the disaster victims. As His parents, we have watched and worried as he headed off to El Salvador after massive mudslides caused death and destruction in that country years ago and returned each summer to work in clinics with health care and building projects. Sometimes stories become changed in the telling, in this case, Lauren was actually found in the streets, apparently abandoned at a few months of age, she has been reared for 3 years in a very poor orphanage that was destroyed in the earthquake. Bill has spoken with the pastor who found her and learned than no one in 3 years has come forth to claim her. We, as a family, understand adoption to be a long process and hope everyone's prayers will be with Lauren for health and comfort in the long months ahead while she waits in the new orphanage.

• Silva
    Jan. 25, 2010 1:02 p.m.

What a great story and article.

• Mc
    Jan. 25, 2010 1:18 p.m.

That is not the true according to the statement by our government on the intercountry adoption page. Parents must have the say whether the child is adopted even after they enter the orphanage. They need to see papers to that effect or documented proof they are dead.

I can't post the link. Would have been nice if it were included in the article or read before this story was printed. How many are going to bombard agencies with calls when adoption isn't possible at this time from Haiti. Even if the featured family met the qualifications. It is too easy in the adoption world to get your heart broken and wallet emptied.

Why can't groups feed the entire family so families are split up to begin with?

Adoption is wonderful and that's what made me a parent. I wish them luck finding a program and match.

• Adoption
    Jan. 25, 2010 1:33 p.m.

• Re /Adoption
    Jan. 25, 2010 2:06 p.m.

That is simply not true. I know several single LDS people who have adopted children. Your information is incorrect. If they adopted children and were excommunicated, it wasn't because they were single.

• @Adoption 1:33
    Jan. 25, 2010 2:14 p.m.

It's sad, but you're 100% correct.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 25, 2010 2:23 p.m.

To 'Adoption'. Where on earth do you get your information??? And He isn't adopting, if you know how to read correctly. What he meant was that he was going to 'adopt' the orphanage, not a child! To 'Wow', quit it with the cynicism. There are many people who realize that non-LDS people are kind and generous. Your religion has nothing to do with it, it is your attitude and your choices. So, you are in fact quite the oxymoron yourself. To those of you who are still worried about the 'paperwork' to be done. The country is in shambles, and the lives of children are at risk. The important thing is to get them out, and placed with foster parents and then work on getting them placed permanently. My husband and I are confirmed for a flight to Haiti to help with the crisis and are ALSO working on paperwork to foster/adopt a child. Lets all just use our energy to be a force for good, and not for judgement, cycicism or "I told you so". Good luck to Lauren, and all those children, and adults who are suffering.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 25, 2010 2:25 p.m.

I guess this is one way to increase the diversity of Utah.

• HUH?
    Jan. 25, 2010 2:25 p.m.

Adoption
    "He is obviously not LDS. If you are LDS and single you cannot adopt. You can even get excommunicated for it."

You might want to read the article again. It states several times that he is married.

• Bishop
    Jan. 25, 2010 3:00 p.m.

While it is true that adoption by singles is frowned upon by the Church and may, in many circumstances lead to discipline, the Church is becoming more tolerant.

• MP
    Jan. 25, 2010 3:11 p.m.

Obviously some of you did not read the entire story, It indicated that he borrowed a cell phone to call his wife. This leads me to believe that he is married. However, what difference does it make if a person is single or married. These children need parents. Should it matter if they are single? I think not as long as they can give these children warm loving homes. Who cares what the Bishop says.

• DEAR HUH? and Bishop
    Jan. 25, 2010 5:28 p.m.

I have a wonderful friend, she is lds, SINGLE, and has adopted 2 yes 2 girls from China!!!! I met her 2 years ago while we both were participating in the Hill Cumorah Pageant, in Palmyra, NY.

These 2 girls were both orphans, both of them have no idea who their birth parents are; they were left on the street as newborns!

So let's talk about which situation either the church OR anyone would rather these girls to be in... The chances of them being adopted by LDS families and sealed was slim to none! My friend has given these girls a loving home, and they have been taught the restored gospel of Jesus Christ!

As for possible discipline for a single person adopting.... I can't swallow that AT ALL! In fact, that infuriates me!

If we lived in a perfect world then sure singles wouldn't need to adopt there would be families waiting for EVERY orphan out there!!! In fact, if we lived in a perfect world there WOULD BE NO ORPHANS RIGHT?????

• @DEAR HUH? and Bishop | 5:28 p.m
    Jan. 25, 2010 5:36 p.m.

It is, and will always be the Church's position that children should be brought up in a two parent household whenever possible. That also included adoptions.

• natalia
    Jan. 25, 2010 9:16 p.m.

As I read this story I got both good and bad feelings.
    Good because its always great to see a child happy.
    Bad because I heard that according to international law when theres a catastrophe in a country adoptions are put on pause. And as its known in Haiti all the offices have been destroyed and most officials have died. So how could you start adoption papers (even if helped by someone) This could lead to bad people getting this children.
    They dont know the age of this little girl, so how can they be sure if she doesnt have a relative still living.
    Im in favor of making the adoptive process less expensive and faster, but in a serious way.
    You can help this orphans by making sure theyre given food, medical treatment, etc. Take them with a tourist visa to the US for a couple of months until they can be relocated in Haiti. But no weird adoptions processes.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    Jan. 25, 2010 9:48 p.m.

In case you missed it, with these feels good stories - sounds good stories - this just in - Three aid groups called for an immediate halt to any new adoptions of Haitian children after last week's earthquake. Save the Children, World Vision and a unit of the British Red Cross said the focus first must be on tracing any family members that children may still have and reuniting them. Any hasty new adoptions would risk permanently breaking up families, causing long-term damage to already vulnerable children, and could distract from aid efforts in Haiti, the agencies said in a joint statement. Stories of Haitian orphanages struggling after the quake and the plight of the children there also has led many to ask about adopting children. Save the Children Chief Executive Jasmine Whitbread said the vast majority of children on their own in Haiti are not orphans, but were simply separated from their families in the chaos. Taking children out of the country would permanently separate thousands of children from their families. a separation that would compound the acute trauma they are already suffering and inflict long-term damage on their chances of recovery.

• How adoption works
    Jan. 25, 2010 10:19 p.m.

There is quite a bit of paperwork that must be done in the US before even heading to Haiti or any other foreign country. For those who are unaware here is the basic run down.
    1st you must choose a country (each country has different requirement)
    Then you find a home study agency they thoroughly check you out background checks (notice more then one) financial checks,reference checks, parenting evaluations and much more. (this typically takes 3-4 months)
    So as you can see like Bills mom said this is the beginning of a very long process.
    Then you chose a placement agency (which could be the same as home study agency)
    Then you get cleared through UCSIS (US fed Goverment) More fingerprints and background checks.
    Then you must meet all the requirements and do the paperwork to send to the overseas goverment
    Once all that is done then you are matched with a child
    do more paperwork
    go through court in the country
    go through the US embassy to make sure your not trafficking children
    Then you can bring your child home

• To Wow!
    Jan. 25, 2010 10:19 p.m.

Stop being so nasty. They were pointing out that non-Mormons and MOrmons are working together. Otherwise everyone would assume he was Mormon, since he hosted the LDS team.
    I doubt your so-called charity extends that far. Drop the not-so-civil religious war and quit looking for slights where none exist.

• K
    Jan. 25, 2010 10:36 p.m.

Taking the children out of country temporarily for safety purposes is fine. Getting away from the disaster area is a necessity to it's being rebuilt and people to live in relative peace and calm. Haiti is a small country when you look at a map.

Adopting is different from taking them out of country, temporarily displacing them for safety purposes. How would this family feel about adopting her and having to return the child to a relative or parent a year or two down the line when they are finally reconnected officially. And to return her to those conditions. Seems cruel for everybody. The missing time the bio parents had not knowing, the child going from one home to another and being returned to vastly different environment, the adoptive parents who no longer are the parents.

BTW before singles rush to apply to adopt from China they stopped accepting single applicants in 2007. There aren't a lot of choices for singles.

Agencies aren't accepting new clients for Haiti program because there is no infrastructure to fascilitate new adoptions now. With the mass graves how can officials be sure who is dead and who is alive?

• Linda
    Jan. 25, 2010 11:44 p.m.

I am totally fascinated by people comments!I have been following this tragedy though the LDS because I can expect stories like this one, not every thing is glum and dumb.yes my heart goes out to these people, I lived 31 years in a Latin American Country and I know first hand what these children so though. Adults can bounce back but a child is totally defenseless. So if it takes a tragedy like this for these children to have a decent home and caring families then so be it. God bless all that take the steps to help these children.I wish I had the means to do this myself, but my prayer are for those that have the means and the stamina to do so.

• Anon 808
    Jan. 26, 2010 4:54 a.m.

Than k You Scott Taylor. You will be a legand among them, when they read you storyies.

Although she is far younger then me. My wife and I are somewhat older.

I have been wondering what I could do for these people.

I can adopt one or two. My Son's Girlfriends Mother is from Trinadad, I can talk her into doing the same. I have a Sister In Law in Ogden, Her and her Husband are young and full of game, they would enjoy another child, I will have my wife talk to her.

I have a Stepdaughter in Seattle, she has two almost grown Black Daughters and a late life White Son and another on the way. She is an Accountant and works from Home. I will talk to her.

Get the idea, get on board if you can and quickly.

I could take shr/him/them to my Ward and No One would Stare or Grab their kids away. They would hug them, welcome them and see if we needed any cloths.

If we died before they where grown, my kids would finish the job for us.

This I can do and I will start tommorow.

• awsomeron
    Jan. 26, 2010 11:57 a.m.

Bishop: LDS Social Services will only allow Adoption to Married, Two Parent Homes, Active In The Church with a Current Temple Recommend.

There are also other requirements. Age among them.

In the case of Single Parent Adoption in most States it is Legal.

The Church is required to obey State and Federal Laws. State and Federal Laws Trump Religion and Culture.

The is about the Religious Bloodline and the Priesthood. The rules are to protect the Adults and the Kids.

I think the word Tolerant is Wrong. I think the Word Accepting fits better.

In a culture where the Goal is Family and Temple Marriage I can see where Single Adoption could cause a ripple among some people.

In some places the Box is very small, where I live not so much. We had the natural Father of an Adopted Child show up at our Ward last Sunday. We shock hands and Hugged and welcomed him. So didn’t the Adoptive Family, who are my closest friends in the Ward.

I have always suggested that they move out of the general area but they have chosen to stay.

Sometimes you just buy the BVD's and live with it.

• Tina
    Jan. 26, 2010 12:11 p.m.

I think anyone who LDS who needs a child should be able to have one of these wonderful kids. If we have enough of them in the church they will not feel alone. The more the better.

• awsomeron
    Jan. 26, 2010 12:50 p.m.

I have stayed on this Board on this Topic because the Mods, keep the hate out.

I live in a land where people do not see Color and Race as much as elsewhere.

In part because of Scott, I have done a complete 180 on this subject. I have had to rethink it and put it to Prayer. I did not think that this Adoption thing was a very good idea.

I still hold the same reservations as I did before. Fact is Fact, Life is life. What has changed is attitude and the ending words So What!

Get as many kids out, as young as you can as fast you can, then let God sort it out.

I have No Problem with most of the People of Haiti, my issues are with the Government Of Haiti. I have the same issues with the Government of the D.R.

If you build Shacks along Major Fault Lines when the Earth Moves Stuff will fall down it is as simple as that. When that happens people die.

If I was stuck in Haiti and I could get my child out, I would be dead.

We are saving, not stealing the Children.

• To "K"
    Jan. 26, 2010 12:53 p.m.

Totally appreciate your sentiments, and for the general population of children, I whole heartedly agree. However, this article was written with incorrect information which was corrected here in the comments section by Billy's Mom (and she actually is Billy's Mom) Lauren was found in the streets by the pastor who runs the orphanage many many months (I think she said 2 years, but am not sure and for some reason I cannot toggle between here and her comment)before the earthquake. In her time at the orphanage no one has come looking for her or to visit her.
    I really think the so-called reporter for this story did the Betz's a disservice by not asking more questions and giving more details as to the full situation of both Lauren and the orphanage she lives in. I'm all for LDS centered good news, but when there is more thought put into identifying who is and is not LDS in the story, than into the complexities of a not-so-simple situation, its disappointing.

• KP
    Jan. 26, 2010 1:03 p.m.

It wont hurt Utah to populate this state with Haitians. Utah has good resources here to educate all the Haitian children.

• Anon 808
    Jan. 26, 2010 1:08 p.m.

Thank you Tina, and so will I, Sunday will no longher look as much like the whitest day of the week. One of many reasons I stay in the Islands.

Also some of the Princess will look like Tiana (Princess and the Frog).

In a few years you could also do a remake of Guess who is Coming To Dinner.

• Nice looking people
    Jan. 26, 2010 1:20 p.m.

To Anon 808,

It never hurt anyone to breed out a race of people. The English tried to do it with the Scottish people, and they were quite successful with those they didn't kill. mixture is the only way this world can get along.

• Chaplain
    Jan. 27, 2010 11:08 p.m.

To Bishop, Huh, and others who asserted that single people will be disciplined by the church for adopting: You are dead wrong. The official Church Handbook of Instructions simply does not support your assertions. The church's only official policy on adoption is that adoption laws must be strictly followed. The church encourages adoption by couples, but the church in no way punishes single parents who legally adopt.

Congratulations to Bill and Amy (the married adoptive couple). I hope you make it through all the legal hurdles successfully.