Utah Jazz notebook: Ronnie Brewer hoping trade talk remains just talk

Comments

• Chuck Nunn
    Jan. 22, 2010 9:31 p.m.

Certainly from the standpoint of his defense and passing, I give my vote of confidence, for whatever it's worth, in Ronnie Brewer. I hope Fesenko gets well soon and gets back into the swing of things, and in the meantime that Kosta Koufos sees some minutes in the meantime and beyond. And I hope D-Will gets the coaches' vote for All-Star.

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 22, 2010 10:08 p.m.

Not a salary dump but trading Ronnie to a contender with us for playoff spot for draft picks, that O Connor will waste anyway makes 0 SENSE

• Chuck Nunn
    Jan. 22, 2010 10:26 p.m.

Yeah, that's why I don't think it'll happen. The Wizards are looking for equal value for Antawn Jamison, so IF there's a trade, it ought to be Boozer for Jamison, but I'm not aching to see Boozer go, especially if we can get our young big guys in to help bolster the defense. But if a trade HAS to happen, that's the one I'd like to see.

• Michael
    Jan. 22, 2010 11:28 p.m.

This team has seemed to find it's groove lately. Hopefully, they continue the solid play of late. I really think they should wait until after the season to make any changes. It's so hard to find chemistry again once you make a trade or two. Boozer is playing at an all-star level right now. I say just finish this thing out with the players you've got. Unless, of course, a team offers one of those "Pau Gasol for a few scrubs and a box of popcorn" deals.

• Ak Fan
    Jan. 23, 2010 12:07 a.m.

I like Jamison idea. Even with ugly shots he is stud guy.

• mike
    Jan. 23, 2010 5:57 a.m.

Brewer is just another average player on a team loaded with very little NBA quality ballplayers. We need shooters and agressive big men. Brewer needs a team that plays a running style; Phoenix and Golden State. He cannot dribble or pass, but can run.

• E
    Jan. 23, 2010 6:45 a.m.

Without Brewer the Jazz have weaker defense and all for a draft pick, and cash. They are loosing Brewer because they gave a contract to Miles, who belongs in the d-league. Trade Miles and keep Brewer. This is not good news for a team with an already soft defensive. The Jazz staff loves Miles, I don't get it. Help me understand, please!

• Ronnie Brewer
    Jan. 23, 2010 8:29 a.m.

Is the kind of player a fan can root for. He plays hard and brings it every night. He doesn't get into trouble and seems to be a class young man. I hope the Jazz hold on to him for a long time!

• j
    Jan. 23, 2010 8:39 a.m.

Why wouldn't the Jazz want a 1st round draft pick...they might be able to get over the Western Conference middle of the pack hump. They certainly won't do it with the team they have now. Ship Brewer FedEx First Overnight to Memphis.

• Re: j
    Jan. 23, 2010 9:55 a.m.

Yeah you want the jazz to ship off brewer and you can watch the jazz draft another waste of a first round draft pick i know ronnie brewer isnt the best defender or the best shooter but he is a hardworker and you can't find to many guys that will do that.

• Re: j
    Jan. 23, 2010 10:01 a.m.

So you want to send one of our better defenders for a pick that is going to be 17+ this year? (Either the Lakers pick, the Denver pick or Memphis's own?) Don't think the draft is THAT deep this year.

• IDjazz12
    Jan. 23, 2010 10:13 a.m.

Hey j

Grizz do not want to give up there 2010 pick so that probably means the pick would be the following year. So the Jazz get two this year and two in next years draft. That does not make any sense from the standpoint that we pay four rookies to play in the D-league for two years then ride the bench for a year and out. Sloan is clueless on getting rookies game time on the floor or developing them. So getting draft pick for players is not a good decision until Sloan leaves. Not only that doing that means they are wanting to rebuild again which is not smart. Jazz need some veteran leadership on this team and a new coach.

• Houdini
    Jan. 23, 2010 10:18 a.m.

I`m a Ronnie B fan,good hard worker who has an all-around game,just like AK when he gets minutes,keep Ronnie here,he`s a real Jazzman,get rid of miles, the dead weight,Go Jazz

• Re : E
    Jan. 23, 2010 10:23 a.m.

I don`t think the Jazz staff loves miles,I think they`re stuck with him,he has no value,hopefully they are trying to showcase him to garner some interest,problem is that he is worthless/useless,who would would want him, especially at 4.7 million year

• laughable
    Jan. 23, 2010 10:47 a.m.

i bet the jazz were laughing at this offer. i mean come on. brewer for a non-lottery draft pick? a proven lottery pick that plays pretty decent defense and can score and rebound and steal, for a draft pick we dont even know yet. all to save 3 million. i think even KOC is smarter than that. here's a better idea. trade miles to them for a draft pick and save even more money. then THEY can continue on developing the now 4 year project. THAT's who's wasting the team's money. with the savings on that we can extend brewer's contract in the off season and have an open spot for someone else.

• REE.J
    Jan. 23, 2010 10:51 a.m.

Besides the reasons that already got sent back to you, Tell me one first round pick the jazz have made since Brewer that plays any amount of time? THERE IS NOT ANY, in fact the only first rounder on the jazz since Brewer is Koufus and how much does he help the Jazz?

• jazz fans
    Jan. 23, 2010 2:23 p.m.

keep ronni dont be dumb

• CL
    Jan. 23, 2010 5:39 p.m.

Re Houdini ; You like to rile Miles don't you.
    I don't think the Jazz will trade Brewer. I don't think KO will make a trade unless it helps the team.

• badidea
    Jan. 23, 2010 5:41 p.m.

Don't trade Brewer!!! The Jazz need his hustle.

• Brewer
    Jan. 23, 2010 5:56 p.m.

I refuel on chocolate milk don't trade me!

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 23, 2010 6:41 p.m.

I agree Brewer I will take 100 times over CJ. Ronnie perimeter jumper seems so much better at home than on the road though like so many player performances.

jekyll and hyde.

Brewer at least prepares, has the focus usually and athletically is interesting and exciting to watch when he drives for those dunks or alleyoops.

Brewer has all star potential one day. CJ is usually a one dimensional 3 point shooter, because he will not consistently work or utilize other things that will help the Jazz

• E
    Jan. 23, 2010 6:45 p.m.

I agree Miles is useless and nobody wants him. Didn't a team offer him a contract and the Jazz matched it, foolish. It seems like we started losing games when he returned from his injury. Keep Brewer he's going to get better.

• Houdini
    Jan. 23, 2010 7:48 p.m.

Yep gotta admit,it`s fun and pretty easy to rattle miles` cage,but I`m serious about miles the baller,weak/worthless/useless ballhog

• Miles rules
    Jan. 23, 2010 8:08 p.m.

he will be an all star one day. He is young.

• miles
    Jan. 23, 2010 9:34 p.m.

another great game tonite cj

• Searce
    Jan. 23, 2010 10:15 p.m.

RE: Todd from Santa Ana
    Seems as if you are counting your chickens before they hatch. The Jazz did not seek out a trade for Brewer. Kevin receives calls each day and says he listens to all offers. Doesn't mean he will bite, especially on a bad trade offer.

• CJ
    Jan. 23, 2010 10:38 p.m.

Keep Ronnie, he is a hustle player and has earned the right to stay here and be a part of the team. If we trade him now we will not make the playoffs.

• Get Serious Fans
    Jan. 24, 2010 10:03 a.m.

I really like Ronnie Brewer as a person, and a basketball player who tries. The facts are facts. Just look at his offensive skills like shooting from the field and free throw line and I mean career wise. They are not good and do not get any better year to year. Yes his field goal percentage is acceptable, but thats because of so many dunks and close in shots. A wing player must make those and open outside shots along with free throws, to be a valid starter in this league and Brewer doesn't do this. He should be a reserve not a starter. we have a glut at the 2 & 3 spots and if someone is offered that can rebound and play defense we should jump all over it. He most likely will want more to resign than we can afford too. Another thing I failed to mention is he isn't a very good rebounder either. Trade bait should be Brewer, Korver, Miles, Memo, and Koufus.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 24, 2010 11:04 a.m.

I feel Ronnie deserves more respect than it appears he gets from the team. Maybe the Jazz need to think about what they will lose if he goes elsewhere