Utah Utes football: Utes pick up QB and cornerback recruit

Comments

• Texas Ute
    Jan. 18, 2010 8:23 a.m.

Nice Job Coach Whit . . . welcome men, to the two-time BCS busin', Alabama whoopin', Utah Utes!

• Big Ute Fan
    Jan. 18, 2010 8:58 a.m.

Two more solid commitments. Well done, Coach Whittingham and staff! We don't get a lot of fanfare with our recruits, but Coach Whitt has a way of quietly going about winning.

• Salt Lake Cougar
    Jan. 18, 2010 9:13 a.m.

Good job yewts! I hope that are decent players.. you're going to need them to stay competitive over the next few years. We wouldn't want to see your football program take a nosedive like your basketball program has done.

• Maybe?
    Jan. 18, 2010 10:54 a.m.

Maybe the Utes should get Whit to coach the men's basketball team also! lol

• nose dive?
    Jan. 18, 2010 11:26 a.m.

Your Right a 9-8 utah team that has a very tough schedule so far is in a nose dive. We are expected to be a 25-30 win team each yr. BYU's nose dive was when they were winning 1-10 games a yr in the 90's

• Thanks cougars!
    Jan. 18, 2010 11:41 a.m.

You are a CLASSY BUNCH!

• Re:
    Jan. 18, 2010 12:16 p.m.

Coach Whit goes about quietly winning, except for when he is not so quietly crying after losing to BYU 3 out of the past 4 years. We all know that is the only game that either school cares about! Go Cougars!

• Nose Dive - UNLV
    Jan. 18, 2010 12:29 p.m.

You really think BYU will defeat the Rebels in Vegas? I've got the Rebel's and 10 points

• re:re
    Jan. 18, 2010 12:36 p.m.

True statement. The Utes fall back on their BCS this and BCS that, but the bottom line, and we ALL know it, is that the only game BYU or the U cares about is their matchup. And, Coach Whit has lost 3 out of the last 4 years. Those are the facts. And, you can say what you want about Max Hall saying what he did after the game, but it never really got in the paper how unclassy the behavior of some of the family members of a certain U coach during and after the game was. The media has a funny way of skewing facts and behaviors.

• Woody
    Jan. 18, 2010 12:41 p.m.

I was told that the two QBs, this year for Utah were a gift from GOD. With a true freshman and a good sophmore, as indicated this past year, where are the new ones going to line up? I have the same question for BYU. The upcoming year is going is be fun to watch, with both teams, soph-freshman qbs, against a few real good teams just frosting at the mouth to get the Utah teams. GO-----.

• Bitterman
    Jan. 18, 2010 12:41 p.m.

No more smack talk about short corners, huh guys? Keep in mind that outside of McKay Jacobson, BYU's recievers will AVERAGE about 6-4 for the next three or four years.

Be as fast as you'd like. It won't matter when we throw it over your heads.

• recruiting
    Jan. 18, 2010 12:44 p.m.

The only thing I need to know when the recruiters come knocking is who has integrity and who will be honest with me about my options, who won't bad mouth another school to make themselves look better, and who won't lie to me and lead me along for months into thinking they are interested in me when they really aren't. BYU falls under the first statement and the U takes the grand prize for the rest. Utah might have the "big" wins but they don't have the respect of a lot of kids they have exploited over the years. Say what you want about BYU, but they have integrity and a coach that isn't a sell out.

• @recruiting
    Jan. 18, 2010 12:51 p.m.

• Need to set example
    Jan. 18, 2010 1:19 p.m.

BYU fans, including myself, need to start setting the example of what BYU football stands for like good sportsmanship and class. It's tough when we try and Utah fans knock us for it, but it's the standard we've set and we need to try harder at living it.

• re: @recruiting | 12:51 p.m.
    Jan. 18, 2010 1:36 p.m.

"Right on. It's happened many times and that's one of the big difference between these programs."

OK zoobies, your calling into question the Utes recruiting "integrity" but you give ZERO specific expamples? I'm very interested in hearing your specific concerns? Looking forward to your responses

Crickets Crickets Crickets
    LOL

• Re:
    Jan. 18, 2010 1:52 p.m.

The only way as a Ute fan I would be up for a rivalry game is when the Utes are on their way to another BCS bowl. But if its just bragging rights for the state of Utah? BYU can have it cuz I don't really care! Losing to BYU won't hurt my feelings, because I don't really care about the whole rivalry thing. It would be Boise St, the only two teams out of non-BCS conferences to go to the BCS twice and win twice. That is where the competition is and that would hurt my feelings more than anything else. BSU has a good program going in Idaho.

• Re: recruiting
    Jan. 18, 2010 2:01 p.m.

Speak for yourself BYU fans. Your coach and football program has no integrity coming from a Mormon (religious) school. Heck, your right up there with Notre Dame. Coach Whitt does = honest with all recruits, and if you go to Utah, you will compete for the starting job, nothing is a given. BYU on the other hand uses psychological ploys to get recruits to BYU, "We are a national championship contending school and will get there with you!" Hold up, your last championship is the reason why you or any other school outside the BCS hasn't been to a NCG. I think Coach Mendenhall and the university failed to mention that to their recruits. Thanks a lot BYU, for nothing!

• Cougars with some sass today
    Jan. 18, 2010 2:02 p.m.

Who has "little brother syndrome" again? Cougars don't care about their "little brother" up north at all, do they?

Wow.

Oh, and I love the guy that wrote the "recruiting" post above, waited 7 minutes and then proceeded to write his own "@recruiting" response.

Now back to the article, good luck to the two young men coming to Utah. Hope it works out well for you and the team.

• RE:Woody | 12:41 p.m.
    Jan. 18, 2010 2:09 p.m.

"I was told that the two QBs, this year for Utah were a gift from GOD. With a true freshman and a good sophmore, as indicated this past year, where are the new ones going to line up?"

Ok "Woody", I guessing your new to football and Utes football specifically. I think the"sophmore" you speak of is Terrance Cains who will be a JC senior next year. As far as the new talent identified as QB's? well, it's not the positon they will play with the Utes. Brian Blechan 3 star (5.8) will probably play LB.

Whit has a knack at findings talent (typically the best players are at QB) and making them stars at other positions.

Glad I could help.

• Man in the Mirror
    Jan. 18, 2010 2:20 p.m.

It is true that BYU is the "national champion" snicker snicker, in the last 20 years to have NEVER gone to a BCS bowl.

I think that says everthing you need to know about their "national championship"

LOL!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 18, 2010 2:47 p.m.

Great Pick up, Utah. I could see Freeman being a Brice McCain type player at one corner. We need a Sean Smith (height and hands) in the other corner. Then we're set.

Go Coach Whitt...and thanks for staying at Utah!!

• Who is the 15 year old that
    Jan. 18, 2010 2:59 p.m.

keeps answering his/her own text? As a Ute, we know that there aren't that many stupid texters on both sides. I know this poster must be unemployed and simply is looking to stir the pot. Get a life Nosedive: Re, Re Re, recruiting, @recruiting, Woody. Get a life! You make your Cougars come across as idiotic and uneducated.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 18, 2010 3:23 p.m.

"Get a life Nosedive: Re, Re Re, recruiting, @recruiting, Woody. Get a life! You make your Cougars come across as idiotic and uneducated."

Based on Mendenhall's characterization of BYU's fans earlier this year, Nosedive: Re, Re Re, recruiting, @recruiting, Woody is showing us all that Mendenhall was right. That is, BYU fans are uneducated.

• I laugh
    Jan. 18, 2010 3:57 p.m.

I love it when you Yewt Fans get your panties in a twist when some 12 yr old blogs hate at the Utes just to get a rise out of yews....

Keep being classy YEWTS!!! and Congrats....

New Qb will Start and make Wynn a backup!

• Re: I Laugh
    Jan. 18, 2010 4:37 p.m.

If you're right and this new kid comes in and turns out to be good enough to start ahead of Wynn, who took you guys to OT on your home field against your "best QB ever," I'd have to say that doesn't bode too well for the Cougs.

Impressive logic on your part though. Go UTES!!

• sell out
    Jan. 18, 2010 4:44 p.m.

Notice how no one from the U has even attempted to defend the Coach Whit is a sell-out statement. I have to hand it to Coach Whit for not following the money to Tennessee. Maybe he learned his lesson from telling both BYU and Utah he would be their coach and then seeing who would give him more money.

• Cool!
    Jan. 18, 2010 4:50 p.m.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 18, 2010 5:09 p.m.

"The Utes stole a recruit from Colorado State! Woo Hoo! How did you pull that impressive maneuver off? Let's throw another parade!"

Sounds like a good idea Cougs! What was the bar you had your multiple recruite press conferences at?

• RE: I Laugh 4:37 p.m.
    Jan. 18, 2010 5:51 p.m.

YEWTI TOOT TOOT..............here come the yewts!!!!

I'm happy to see that the yewts got 2 more recruits. We need all of the teams in the MWC to be in full strength in order to be recognized by the BCS

Although it will be a rebuilding year for the yewts in both basketball and football, 2012 will be a GREAT year for ewe.

GO BOISE STATE!!!!!!
    It's a great year for us every year.

• Children
    Jan. 18, 2010 6:00 p.m.

Be good or go to your rooms. Stupid stupid remarks about 2 high school players these commentors know nothing about except for the few lines of print.

• RE: I Laugh 4:37 p.m. | 5:51
    Jan. 18, 2010 6:09 p.m.

BYU troll

• Anonymous
    Jan. 18, 2010 6:29 p.m.

funny, Max Hall was BYU's best qb ever? haha, nice memory (re:I laugh) last time I checked he was maybe in the top 6 and he beat Utahs best QB ever when he was a sophomore as a first year starter...

young
    mcmahon
    detmer
    beck
    sarkisian
    bosco
    hall
    neilson
    doman

• the end
    Jan. 18, 2010 6:39 p.m.

Do I care about the rivalry at the end of the Year? No. not anymore. Its just a little brother down south at this point. After going to the BCS twice and being the "peoples" champion in 08, all I care about is going to another BCS game. So playing the Pussycats down south doesnt mean much anymore. I am happy we got another 2 of great recuits. GO UTES

• Choice of words
    Jan. 18, 2010 7:04 p.m.

Sorry - instead of "best," I should have said "winningest."

• U Bound
    Jan. 18, 2010 8:53 p.m.

We are thrilled about Tyler Shreve going to play "Ute" football. He's big, strong,fast,rocket arm,smart,and a linebacker mentality. I think before anybody makes any pre-judgements, they need to see this kid play. He's the real deal,

• C'mon Man
    Jan. 18, 2010 9:22 p.m.

Shreve is the second coming of Tommy Grady.
    Don't forget the Utes have already recruited a QB with this kids exact size. Oh, I forgot. That recruit didn't even start for his own high school team at QB. Now he's going to be a LB for the Utes.
    Great recruiting season, NOT.
    How many de-commits have you had???

• Utah Fans
    Jan. 18, 2010 10:19 p.m.

Utah fans, please do not stoop to the level of the immature byu fans on this board. Do not even acknowledge their classless behaivor. Both schools have great programs, and top quality men at coach. We do not need to fall to their level.

• The Peoples Champion
    Jan. 18, 2010 10:37 p.m.

That is the best thing I have seen. Ask any SEC fan who was the champion that year and you will get FLORIDA. 48 1st place votes to 16. Ask the coaches and you get FLORIDA. The only people who voted the Utes first, was their coach. So they are Wits champions. I guess he is a person.

• RE: Utah Fans
    Jan. 18, 2010 11:08 p.m.

From a BYU fan, I must say I agree with you. But unfortunately there are immature fans who start stupid arguments on both sides, as well as usually mature people on both sides who get annoyed and react immaturely to the immature ones. I will admit I have been one of the latter type from time to time.

• Go Utes
    Jan. 19, 2010 6:28 a.m.

Shaping up to be the best EVER recruiting class for the Utes!!!

• Cougarf@n
    Jan. 19, 2010 8:02 a.m.

Looks like a couple solid recruits for Utah. As much as I'd like to get into a nerd fight over who is the "little brother" or who cares more about the other team, I'd rather just point out that both BYU and Utah have had a lot of recent success in both recruiting and on the field and both programs are benefitting from the other's successes. I would prefer my ranked Cougars to win or lose the rivalry game to a ranked Utah team every year and recruiting is important for the great tradition to continue. I'd also like any undefeated MWC team to be a lock for a BCS bid, which is becoming a reality even outside AQ status. I give major props to KW for sticking to his guns and turning down the money and prestige offered by Tennessee.

This rivalry keeps getting better in spite of the cat fights between jr. high school kids blogging on this message board.

• Hype & Spin
    Jan. 19, 2010 8:10 a.m.

This coming weekend is the biggest recruiting trip weekend in Utah's history. There will be four 4-star kids coming in for trips. DT Ricky Heimuli, OL John Cullen, LB VJ Fehoko and S Eddrick Loften.

And here's where Utah should be spinning this. If even just half of these guys commit to Utah, which seems a good possibility according to numerous reports, Utah will have the same number of 4-star recruits (4) as the mighty recruiting class of BYU. And the overall star rating per player for Utah will just push past BYU even farther than it already is. Current average per recruit for Utah is 3.06 stars, with 1 recruit not rated yet, current average for BYU is 2.82 stars, with all recruits having been rated. Source, Rivals.com. BYU has the quantity, Utah the quality.

Another interesting note: The hype surrounding Ross Apo has been huge from TDS. Meanwhile, he is currently rated below 2 Utah WR commits, Terrell Reese and Kenneth Scott.

Just the facts folks. You know, those pesky things that Cougar fans like to sweep under the rug.

• Congratulations
    Jan. 19, 2010 8:28 a.m.

on the two recruits committing to the UTES. You'll have great careers, get a great education and have a great time at bowl season traveling around the country to BCS & MWC Bowls. Maybe you'll learn a new position and really have some fun like Paul Kruger. He came to the U as a QB and left early as an NFL 2nd round pick. He had one of his best days as a defensive player when the QB of a certain rival threw him the ball. It was like he intentionally threw it to him. "Please catch this ball I'm throwing to you!" Well Krugar complied and he made a touchdown. Now he's in the NFL. Your going to have a fantastic time at the U! PS. Your now going to hear alot of whining and babbling about how this "other" team has beat the UTES and that is the only game that matters. (whisper) to them it does cause it's the biggest game they ever play!) wink, wink

• TCU Rivalry
    Jan. 19, 2010 10:05 a.m.

Until BYU can match Hawaii for number of BCS games they played in, I think most Ute fans will consider TCU their rival and BYU their kool-aid drinking, Twighlight watching, nerd cousin that they have to see once a year.

• RE: Hype & Spin | 8:10 a.m
    Jan. 19, 2010 10:36 a.m.

Hype & Spin | 8:10 a.m

If the Utes are fortunate enough to landing DT Ricky Heimuli, OL John Cullen, LB VJ Fehoko and S Eddrick Loften the average player ranking would swell to 3.39(rivals). Compared to BYU 2.89. It would also position them in the 30-35 top recruitment classes.

And before any Zoobie jumps on the board to claim a better recruitment class let me give you this stat…

Assuming Ute lands before mentioned recruits, the class would stand at 21. If the Utes added 7 more “one star” loser recruits to equal the number of the BYU class (28) they would still easley leap frog the Cougars in class ranking.

Basically, Utah could recruit 7 Safeway grocery store baggers and they would still rank higher than the might cougar recruiting class.

Typical Cougs — fast start only to fade in the stretch

• Re:hype and spin
    Jan. 19, 2010 11:48 a.m.

Those are some great points! I didn't. Know about Heimuli coming in for a visit. I know Fehoko really likes us. Kalani sitake is his cousin, so that might help bring him to slc. Tennesee was Cullen's favorite but after Kiffin skipped to sc it looks like the utes have a shot! Also, Lucky Radley a three star recruit from Cali visited this weekend. His top two are the utes and North Carolina. If we land all these recruits it will be the best in school history! Zoobs ur recruiting class is nice, but utahs will be better in the end! Go utes!!!

Can't wait to see if Heaps fullfills is promise! We are gonna rock him next year and he has hall to thank for that!

• Full of it
    Jan. 19, 2010 12:06 p.m.

Utes are such liars! You claim to have this whole team of 4.4 speed, four star recruits. I looked myself and your "quality" recruiting class only has 3 4.4 players! BYU just as easily has the same amount. Plus you only have 2 four star recruits, the rest are only three. Besides, this is all according to the all-knowing rivals! Wow, the fountain of knowledge itself. If you look on scout and espn you have only one receiver and one safety in the top 50, and espn doesn't even give you 1 4 star recruit. Talk about hype and spin, you guys are the best at doing it for yourselves. No one else is hyping yourselves but you.

• TheHailstorm
    Jan. 19, 2010 12:17 p.m.

Here's my take on the recruiting.
    Nothing is in cement until after the signing date of February 3.
    Bronko had 22 scholersips alloted by the NCAA for this year. He has offered 27 .. 5 above the mandate, and that does not include the missionaries that come home , or like Max Hall can't cut it for more than 8 months. Now how will he back out of the offer when he spent more than was in his bank ?
    He also pulled a real sneaky maneuver by not contacting Riley Nelson in person but rather talked with his parents while he was on the mission and that bent the rules just enough so that Elder Nelson knew that the Y had a place set for him at the training table.
    Coach Kyle has 8 scholarships left and the Ute staff builds the players. Koa Misi was walk on punter turned LB, Paul Kruegar was a Quarterback that now plays with the Ravens as an stunt linebacker, DE.
    Kyle 's staff builds players while Bronky selects pasta type players,and then throws them against the wall and sees who sticks.
    To me the Utes are doing things the right way !

• re: TCU rivalry
    Jan. 19, 2010 12:39 p.m.

Glad to hear U won't feel so bad after BYU beats your little team again to make it 4 of the last 5.

GO COUGARS!!!!!

• RE Full of it
    Jan. 19, 2010 12:55 p.m.

No one else is hyping yourselves but you.

----

Preseason hype at Utah!

Which program print Quest t-shirts?
    Which program was celebrating at Provo airport for a 1-0 team?
    Which programs 2010 recruits we talking about national titles in a 2009 PR conference at a Salt Lake City bar?

• re full of it
    Jan. 19, 2010 1:03 p.m.

ESPN and Scout are not credible recruiting sources at all. The best comes from rivals and everyone knows it. If they get 2 of the 4, most likely, they ll have the best recruiting class ever. They got a excellent chance at all 4 of them, we are in the top 2-3 with every guy. Also, someone mentioned Lucky Radley, he likes us and North Carolina. He has a 4.4 speed and has offers from South Carolina and Michigan too. He is considered one of the top western athletes available. I just hope the Utes are lucky enough to land him. Utah also had a 4 star ranking drop with Star Lotulelei, and it only dropped b/c he red shirted at the JC level this year. He is amazing, watch his video on rivals

• joe
    Jan. 19, 2010 1:05 p.m.

You honestly think you have a chance at beating Utah at home next year without a qb???? The utes are gonna be pissed off and you have Max Hall to thank for that. Moat preseason polls I have seen have Byu 4th in the conference with Utah 2nd. Air force third, and our real rivals 1st. It was the Las Vegas Sun who predicted that. I think byu has a great program and a good recruiting class! I love how you bring ours down to make yours look better! Stay classy cougs!

Go utes!!!

• West Jordan Blue
    Jan. 19, 2010 2:22 p.m.

What is so wrong with 2 star kids? I will give you two star kids Utah had the last couple years.

Brian Johnson QB
    Paul Kruger ATH
    Zane Beadles OL
    Sean Smith ATH
    Louie Sakoda K
    Brice McCain DB
    Joe Dale DB
    Stevenson Sylvester LB
    Nai Fotu LB
    Derrick Shelby
    Sealver Siliga
    Kendrick Moeai

My point is everyone is knocking BYU for having 9-10 2 star kids but they have more 3 star and 4 star kids than utah right now. Im not saying BYU class is better because time will tell on the field the next few years. Seems to me Utan and BYU have great coaching staffs that develop talent. Most of the kids Utah and BYU get are not Looked at over and over again. I used rivals because apparently they are the only credible source from what a Ute fan said, but they are biased and have favorites too.

• Re: 1:03 p.m.
    Jan. 19, 2010 2:28 p.m.

Who's everyone, the Ute fans?

Rivals was made by yahoosports. Yahoo was invented by some nerd from North Korea. Personally, I don't give much credit to sports analysis, especially American Football, from someone who isn't even American. Rivals is completely internet based. They don't have a television network, a radio program, all they have is a an internet site.

Scout, however, does weekly, even daily updates on recruits. They are a conglomerate of FoxSports, an American company, which I give far more credit to concerning American Football. They have actual scouts, who collect actual information on site from the coaches and the players on a regular basis. They don't go off of hearsay. The same goes for ESPN, who is the generally accepted sports communications organization accepted in the United States. Rivals is a joke. They don't even have the right recruits in the right recruiting class sometimes? So tell me, what, WHAT makes Rivals a reliable source? Do tell, please.

• re: 2:28PM
    Jan. 19, 2010 3:45 p.m.

Scout vs. Rivals since 2002. (That's the farthest their team rankings go back.)

Scout has listed BYU above Utah/TCU all 8 years. They have listed Utah at #2 4 times, and TCU at #2 the other 4 years. No wonder Cougar fans worship Scout.com! Where's that domination been?

Rivals has listed Utah with the top class 3 times, TCU 3 times and BYU twice. They have listed Utah in 2nd 4 times, TCU 3 times and BYU 1 time. So pretty even.

Since 2002, here are the records of Utah, BYU and TCU in head-to-head matchups:

Utah 8-5
    BYU 6-7
    TCU 4-6

Since 2002, here are the conference titles for each school:

Utah 3
    BYU 2
    TCU 2

Since 2002, here are the BCS trips and wins for each school:

Utah 2-0
    TCU 0-1
    BYU 0-0

I guess my question would be what makes Scout a reliable source? They clearly are over-valuing BYU's recruiting classes based on the facts, or BYU does a poor job at coaching talent they get. Meanwhile Rivals seems to be pretty accurate based on the wins by each program.

• need for speed
    Jan. 19, 2010 4:07 p.m.

That's good that utah is getting all these speedy new guys. That way they'll be able to get off the field real fast after BYU beats them again next season so BYU's team and fans can celebrate unimpeded. (Unimpeded: I know that's a big word for yoot fans, but trust me it doesn't mean the same thing as inebriated, a word that U are very familiar with)

• Wow
    Jan. 19, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Sounds like U are getting some really nice recruits.

26-23
    3 of the last 4

Regards,
    Cougar Fan

• re: TCU Rivalry
    Jan. 19, 2010 4:16 p.m.

Ya know, I think you're probably right about TCU being your new rival. After all, BYU has beaten the utes 3 of the last 4 times we've played each other so it's not much of a rivalry anymore.

• re: 4:16PM
    Jan. 19, 2010 4:21 p.m.

So just to clarify. Utah now considers TCU, clearly the #1 team in the conference, its rival While BYU still considers Utah their rival.

Guess we know who is trying to win the MWC, and who is trying to battle for 2nd.

Of course, the MWC title means nothing to Bronco. It's National Championship or bust! Even the BCS is an unnecessary stepping stone down south!

• re: re: 4:16pm
    Jan. 19, 2010 4:49 p.m.

So why are you aspiring to have TCU (the top team) as your rival when you can't even beat BYU? Did you clear this with TCU? I mean, do they even know you are rivals? Probably not. Silly yewts, once again your wacky twisted pretzel logic rears its ugly head. Say hi to all the other yewt fans in La La Land for us.

• TCU Fan
    Jan. 19, 2010 4:57 p.m.

Boise State is our rival. We've played them 2 yrs in a row in bowl games and we're 1-1. Who in their right mind would think Utah is our rival?? Are you talking about that same Utah team whose lunch we ate this past season in Fort Worth? Ha.

• Boy I wish
    Jan. 19, 2010 5:07 p.m.

I sure wish we had someone as good a Olsen, I mean Heaps coming to our school.....
    Don't you think that you should see if the kid even plays before you talk about how great he is??

Ya know, as a true Ute fan I will take 1 BCS win over beating tds 3-4 years and if it means that we lose another 3-4 and go undefeated again so be it! I would much rather reach greatness and lose some than never beat anyone you weren't supposed to and get THUMPED by the teams that beat you!
    Let's see, we lost to a ranked UO, TCU and BYU, not bad for a new QB and switch half way through the season.

The only way tds wins is if our QB is hurt, or you have a senior, so as long as our boys stay healthy it looks like it could be 4 straight losing years for tds.

• re: TCU Fan
    Jan. 19, 2010 5:11 p.m.

Yep, that same Utah team who you've managed to beat ONCE in the last 4 years.

It was so embarrassing to see TCU pull a choke job against the farm boys from Boise.

At least the other 4 MWC teams in bowl games pulled their weight.

When be like Utah and finish off a season with a BCS win, you'll be on our level.

• Re: TCU Fan
    Jan. 19, 2010 5:17 p.m.

Who has more wins in the TCU/Utah series since TCU joined the MWC? No need to look it up, it's Utah!

Sounds like a cougar fan that doesn't realize they have been smoked by TCU 2 years in a row including a beat down in front of 65,000 at home this year! OUCH!

If you are a true TCU fan, great job showing up for your bowl game!

• oh gosh
    Jan. 19, 2010 5:44 p.m.

I'm not going to argue about win-loss records since 2002. From 2002-2005, that's a little unfair to compare since Urban Meyer coached the Utes and Gary Crowton coached the Cougars. At any rate from 2006 on, yes Utah has had one BCS bowl, under Whittingham, from Urban Meyer's leftovers, so power to you on that one. But, BYU has had more overall wins and has done better in the conference championship category than Utah has, and has the edge in the rivalry since then. As far as TCU, I can't argue that they are well coached and do a heckuva job with whatever talent they are getting. Since we're not disputing that, it is a moot point in this discussion.

Since Bronco became coach, BYU's recruiting talent has taken an exponential climb each year. But, in case you are not familiar with recruiting conditions at BYU, you have to consider missions, academic problems, injuries, graduation, all of which play into BYU's challenges. Now, I realize the latter two are part of any program, but you can't argue that for former two are real factors. Things will come full circle though.

• re:Cougarf@n
    Jan. 19, 2010 5:58 p.m.

I'm glad to read your post and realize that there are still some level headed fans that despite their allegiance to their respective school, can see things for what they are and not only through their blue or red tinted glasses... refreshing!

Will the rest of you please take some notes?

- Utef@n

• @ 5:44 p.m.
    Jan. 19, 2010 6:44 p.m.

They maybe factors but you can't argue that BYU doesn't get a lot of help for being a religious school.I'm just glad my 10% dose not go to Athletic facilities.

• Let's put it this way
    Jan. 19, 2010 7:02 p.m.

Listen. . .

Both Utah and BYU are recruiting well. Is Utah recruiting better now than it has ever been in the past? I think you can say that across the board, that is true. Is BYU recruiting better now than it has been in the past? I think you can say that is also true.

Considering that BYU has the storied history that it does, to say that they have landed the best class in history, that is pretty huge. I hope that they can keep that up through the classes of 2011, 2012, and beyond.

Utah, (no offense), really does not have the history that BYU does, it really doesn't. More recently, they have done some great things. I think you can say that they are respected well in the conference. I think nationally, they haven't quite got the respect to consider themselves an elite program. I think they are looked at as being talented, and good, but they have a ways to go. If they maintain themselves the way they have the next 5-10 years, they might be considered a good program. BYU needs to get to a BCS game. I'd say they're equal.

• Re TCU fan
    Jan. 19, 2010 8:01 p.m.

Great job pulling a BYU in the Bowl game. Maybe next year your team will actually show up and attempt to play with some emotion. Last year BYU shames the conference by losing to Arizona, and this year TCU carries the shame of being the only MWC team to lose their bowl game.

• Re: Let's put it this way
    Jan. 19, 2010 8:48 p.m.

No offense taken, but I would disagree and tell you your assumption is wrong. Utah already has national respect and are considered amongst the elite. They don't need 5-10 years to prove it. Don't know what you considered storied history for BYU??? I consider storied history like Notre Dame, Alabama, Oklahoma, Miami, Ohio St, Michigan to name a few. Everyone in the country knows these teams. Everyone doesn't really know BYU all that well, or even know that it is a Mormon school. Utah, busted the BCS twice and destroyed Alabama in 09 Sugar Bowl. Utah may not be considered storied program, but people remember a team who not only beat a BCS powerhouse, but physically abused and manhandled them in the Sugar Bowl. But I do agree with you on one thing. They are equal to me as well.

• Re: Lets put this away
    Jan. 20, 2010 12:23 a.m.

I don't know if 1 national championship is that great of a history. Especially one where you beat a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl. If it's that easy Utah would have 2 national championships in the last five years. I definately would say 2 bcs bowl wins is equal to your national championship if not better. But yes, both schools history is equal to me as well. I don't know if Utah is on a national stage yet. To me that is a top 15 team every single year. Were not quite there. But I think were getting close. Another thing, Correct me if im wrong but isn't the Byu-Utah Rivalry split 5-5 over the last 10 years? If that's the case Byu's 3 out of the last 4 doesnt impress me too much. Byu and Utah both have great programs and are definately top 25 teams year in and year out. Just not quite top 10 top 15 year in year out.

Go Utes!!!

• Pitt Fan
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:41 a.m.

living in Penn. and a huge college football fan I can honestly say no one here on the East coast thinks of BYU as a “national power”. I would guess 90% football fans wouldn’t know BYU had won a NC in 1984. I would also say that 25% of East coast fans don’t even know BYU has a football team. The ’84 NC has almost ZERO clout outside of Provo.

On the other hand, Utah is now recognized as a respected program after that unbelievable beat down against possibly the nation’s most storied program — Alabama.

Pitt Nation looks forward to playing (and beating) the Utes this coming year…but trust me we all know this game will be a dogfight

• Re:pitt fan
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:00 a.m.

i live in Tennessee and surprisingly a lot of people know how good byu is.

• Please
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:44 a.m.

I also live outside of Utah and to say that know one knows about BYU football is a complete joke. It is amazing what some ewe fans will say and do to try and put down BYU football. Max Hall is right EWE fans are classless. The coaches and AP seem to think BYU is relevent with a top 12 final ranking. Every true college fan in the nation watches the polls every week and has seen BYU in them for the last 4 years straight.

• Re:pitt fan | 8:00 a.m
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:57 a.m.

"i live in Tennessee and surprisingly a lot of people know how good byu is."

Hmmmm - I wonder why they went after Whit then? Oh well.

• All this talk
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:12 a.m.

Seems to me there is a lot of nothing being said. Also seems obvious to me that if you are going to compare two schools you would simply look at the head-to-head record over the recent years. Anyone happen to know what that record might be?

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:23 a.m.

re: Re:pitt fan | 8:00 a.m | 8:57 a.m. Jan. 20, 2010

Yeah. If anyone would fit in in a cultural backwater like Knoxville, it'd be Mendenhall.

• Hank McCoy
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:24 a.m.

You zoobs do know the #1 WR prospect & #4 overall prospect coming out of HS was considering Utah?

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:51 a.m.

"Yeah. If anyone would fit in in a cultural backwater like Knoxville, it'd be Mendenhall"

• re Tennessee
    Jan. 20, 2010 10:17 a.m.

I think you mean the university of utah. university of tennessee representatives landed in provo and offered
    coach witt the head coaching job. I guess they are not that
    impressed with bronco or his staff

• Re: Please | 8:44 a.m.
    Jan. 20, 2010 12:10 p.m.

I live outside Utah and BYU is an unknown here. You would be well advised to speak for yourself and not make sweeping generalities.

• re:re: TCU fan 5:11pm
    Jan. 20, 2010 12:26 p.m.

Now it's all become much more clear. You want your "rival" to be a team you've won almost all games against within the past 4 years. I see. Ok, fair enough, that rules out BYU. Have fun with your new "rival". HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 2:13 p.m.

"Oh so now the truth comes out and we see why you're saying TCU is your new rival and not BYU. It's because you've beaten TCU 3 out of the last 4 times you've played them whereas you've lost 3 of the last 4 against BYU."

I’ve tried and tried to spell it out to you Zoobies. I’ll try one more time. TCU is our rival because they went to and will continue to compete for BCS bowls. BYU has not and most likely will not ever go to a BCS Bowl. Thus TCU is our rival. DO YOU GET IT!!!!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 2:14 p.m.

re: Anonymous | 9:51 a.m. Jan. 20, 2010

"What, you don’t thing the "firesides" would play in the rest of the country? Your right. Bronka will never have any other opportunties beyond TDS."

FDR did well w/ fireside chats but he was a (gasp!) socialist.

• RE: TheHailstorm
    Jan. 20, 2010 3:36 p.m.

Take the time to research the real story of how Riley Nelson ended up at BYU before you start "spouting off"!!

• Anonymous | 2:14 p.m.
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:03 p.m.

"FDR did well w/ fireside chats but he was a (gasp!) socialist. "

I think donka's firdsides probably wouldn't sit well in shall we say "main stream" american....

• Re: TheHailstorm
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:43 p.m.

Wear your helmet during the next storm. You are suffering brain damage.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:13 p.m.

Re: RE: TheHailstorm | 3:36 p.m.
    Re: TheHailstorm | 6:43 p.m.

Ok, so what's your version of the story?

• Re: Anonymous 2:13 pm
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:10 p.m.

And we've tried to make it clear to you utah fans, you are not our rival. Where do you people get these ideas from anyway???

-TCU Fan
    GO FROGS!!!

• Georgia
    Jan. 21, 2010 1:37 p.m.

I live in Athens Georgia. And nobody here considers BYU to be even on the level of the Big Least teams, if they even know who BYU is. They have some respect for Utah after their beat down of Bama and they still remember the Utah blowout win over Georgia Tech in the Emerald bowl, but there isn't anyone here that will admit they are on a level with Georgia. Sorry cougar fans, just tellin it like it is.

• To Georgia
    Jan. 21, 2010 2:07 p.m.

Who cares what the Georgia fans think? Georgia is not exactly known as the state of exceptionally talented or smart people.

• Only Championships Matter
    Jan. 21, 2010 2:21 p.m.

Anyone who honestly would equate two bcs game wins and a national championship needs help. Schools like Wisconsin and West Virginia would gladly trade their two wins for a national title. Seriously, people, bcs wins do not mean anything unless you have the right to be called champion of all of college football. Why is everyone fighting about all of this when we should be focused on giving teams like the 2008 Utes a shot at winning a game that actually matters. Playoff!

• RE: Georgia
    Jan. 21, 2010 2:33 p.m.

BYU has a decent program, it's just alot of the BYU faithfull have insecurity problems. They (BYU FAN) have to be coddled, patted on the back, and let everyone know that they won (wink.. wink) a NC back in 1984 against a unranked Michigan Wolverines team. BYU fans are like that neighbor kid you beat at Tecmo Bowl 100 times in a row, and he finally beats you and never lets it go. Even today, I run into him and he still brings it up.

• to RE: Georgia | 2:33 p.m
    Jan. 21, 2010 2:55 p.m.

That's nice that the whole country, including the major polls, pat BYU on the back by ranking them #1 in the nation in 1984.

Luckily, U fans are so self-assured that they don't want anyone to think that they think that they deserved to be ranked #1 in 2008. Oh wait, they did let everyone know they wanted to be ranked #1. But they never were... too bad!

• Redlands East Valley
    Jan. 21, 2010 3:38 p.m.

They play in the black and blue league called the Citrus Belt League. Great league. Redlands East Valley is a very quality school. Hope he does well.

• Dave from Taylorsville now
    Jan. 22, 2010 11:38 a.m.

I am proud of BOTH schools achievements! Impressed at BOTH recruiting classes. However, there are some misguided untraveled folk here that think the BYU football program isn't known AROUND the country. Not just in your living room in Atlanta.

I've lived and have football connections (college/HS/Po Warner) in FL, GA, TN, NY, MS, CA, WA and UT. Utah is known in these places. . . but BYU IS a storied program. They know the quarterbacks - and yes, they remember the NC. My Georgia fan friends remember the Hershell Walker - Steve Young game. They also remember BYU kicking Miami's butts when EVERYONE wanted them to.

I am interested why the name of Jake Heaps hasn't come up here regarding recruiting. I see the Utes have a great recruiting class. . . but man and boy I have seen great quarterback in person and seen each on numerous occasions (i.e. Spurier, Casey [FSU], Testeverde, Manning {Daddy], Sixkiller, Nielson, Wilson [everyone at BYU and Utah in that past 34 years]. . . and this Heaps kid is FOR REAL. He is one, if not, the best of all of them. In person he IS incredible - arm, eyes, brain - has it all.

• To Re: Let's put it this way
    Jan. 22, 2010 6:22 p.m.

Do you realize that ESPN ranked BYU as the 25th most prestigious football program in the nation? It is the only non-AQ conference team in the top 25, and quite a way of Utah (which was 43rd). During the early years Utah beat up BYU because BYU was new and inexperienced, but since the 1960's the sides have been reversed. Utah's recent success does not make up for BYU's consistent success. BYU has more 10+ win seasons this last decade than Utah has in the last 100 years! And also, have you thought that if the BCS system existed in the 80's, BYU would likely have more than 2 BCS games?

With that all cleared up, congrats to Utah for the recruits. I saw coach Whittingham at Snow College to recruit; a good place, if you ask me (Asiata, as well as BYU's Andrew Rich and Colby Clawson came from there). Neither school is a national power-house yet, but hopefully both become one soon. Both schools look good. I like the Utes, but I grew up a BYU fan. But you can't argue with facts.

Go Cougars and MWC!

• TheHailstorm
    Jan. 22, 2010 7:19 p.m.

How can Bronco give out 29-30 scholarships when he had only 22, according to the NCAA, to offer as per regulations. he hag only 22 ? Can someone in Utah County explain the math to me ? Giving out almost twice as many as the U could really pull you up in the recruiting polls ? He and his staff would let a some boys down by not having one available when they get ready for ball in the fall.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 22, 2010 7:37 p.m.

Are you sure it is 29 scholarships? Or is it 29 recruits? I'm asking because I don't know. I do recall hearing that he had only 22, though. Maybe he changed up some things.

• U Bound
    Jan. 22, 2010 8:08 p.m.

After reading most of these blogs, I am amazed that so many people put so much stock in those pathetic star ratings. max preps and those other orgs. use sports writers and other forms of info to make these ratings. If these ratings were made by coaches, then ok. but they are not. C'mon folks, get your heads out! Just remember that Alex Smith was only a "2 star".