Utah

Peter Corroon announces a 'back to basics' bid for governorship

Comments

• Got My Vote
    Jan. 12, 2010 10:19 a.m.

Peter will make a great governor

• awesome
    Jan. 12, 2010 10:25 a.m.

Corroon for governor!

• John S.
    Jan. 12, 2010 10:43 a.m.

In the article, it says Corroon would bring Utah back to the Basics. Utah already is back to the basics. I think what Corroon is trying to say is he would like Utah to be more like California where the state is bleeding red ink. Utah is fairing much better than its neighbors due to wise fiscal policies of past leaders. Democrats - tax and spend.

• Nice Try
    Jan. 12, 2010 10:56 a.m.

"Trying to lead the crowd in chants" That's the equivalent of someone starting the dramatic slow clap and nobody else joining in. I'm interested to see how many "hundreds of supporters" show up outside of Salt Lake County. The mayor has an uphill battle I'm afraid.

• He Might
    Jan. 12, 2010 11:10 a.m.

be a good governor except he is non LDS. The mindset here is " The Church wants me to vote GOP" and maybe that is true or not but most Mormons THINK its true .The Magic "R' goes a long way in the Land of Zion

• He will be a great governor
    Jan. 12, 2010 11:17 a.m.

I hope he wins. He has my vote.

• splitme2
    Jan. 12, 2010 11:18 a.m.

I can't see why some think it will be an uphill battle. I don't know anyone who doesn't like Corroon, he has my vote!

• Corroon's Doom
    Jan. 12, 2010 11:38 a.m.

Tax hiking, fee hinking, double taxing, energy solutions money accepting, pretending to be a Republican-lite then taking money from every lefty organization in the state, and then say you're for "back to basics"? That cover it Mr. Corroon?

• Anonymous
    Jan. 12, 2010 11:41 a.m.

So he plays conservative values, how about his liberal policies as mayor?

Herbert has done a fine job and hasn't increased taxes.

• Mike
    Jan. 12, 2010 11:43 a.m.

Corroon came to my my high school a few years back to give a speech. One of the students asked him about his actions on Real Salt Lake's then soon to be stadium. The very next day, he took the opposite stance during a press conference with RSL GM. He lost our votes.

• @ John S. 10:43 AM
    Jan. 12, 2010 11:55 a.m.

You should get your facts straight and also realize that tax and spend is not exclusive to the Democratic party. California, who as you put it, "is bleeding red ink," has had a Republican Governor since 2003.

• RE: John S.
    Jan. 12, 2010 11:57 a.m.

Um, John S.-

Peter Carroon IS a fiscal conservative. Anyone who says differently is a demagogue trying to flame irrational (and unsubstantiable) fears. Look at the way he has done his job at Salt Lake County. Trust me, Carroon didn't get 66% of the votes in 2008 with only Democrats voting for him!

Our state Republican leaders almost single handedly created Carroon's polularity by cramming through a soccer stadium that was NOT fiscally conservative, and in fact made no financial sense at all.

You can point out his small tax increase in his 2010 budget, but wait until the Repubs start raising taxes this session on cigarettes, maybe sales tax on food, etc. We're at the bottom of a recession! I would rather, and I think the public would agree, have a small tax increase than do catastrophic damage to public education. Carroon is a common sense man like Lane Beattie, who recognizes the need to keep funding options on the table.

As a Republican who is sick of the power party politics in Utah, Carroon has my vote!

• @ John S.
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:08 p.m.

Do some research on Peter Corroon before you just label him as a tax and spend Democrat...

But then again... ignorance is bliss

• Mark
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:08 p.m.

Vote Corroon!

• Question?
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:11 p.m.

I find it odd that Corroon is running a campaign based on the exact principals that Herbert already employs, and yet he's a democrat?! It's like Corroon read Herbert's inaugural speech and decided to make that his platform just so he could compete in Utah. I'd rather just keep the current Governor in place, eh?

• I'm voting for him
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:11 p.m.

He'll be a great Governor and someone willing to make tough choices for the best of the state.

• Blake Henderson
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:15 p.m.

I wonder how many of these "he's got my vote" comments are family and staff members of Corroon. I guess we'll never know until the D-News decides to require you to use your full name rather than hide behind a screen name.

• Roger J.
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:17 p.m.

I wonder why he wants to move to the Governor's office. Is the pay better?

He has done well in Salt Lake County, and I particularly liked the way he handled the Salt Lake soccer controversy. But why not just stay where he is and continue the good work?

• Re Split
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:21 p.m.

Because he AINT A MORMON!!!!! That is why .That and he is an "evil' Democrat. ITs uphill at about 89 degrees .

• Tina M.
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:31 p.m.

Corroon is just another Northeast liberal elite.
    He sends his kids to an elite private school don't ya know!!

• @ Anonymous 11:41 am
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:44 p.m.

Herbert hasn't raised taxes because he hasn't had a chance. He hasn't yet been Governor during a legislative session or had to sign or veto any bills.

Additionally, it's not prudent to evaluate a candidate simply on whether or not they raised or cut taxes. No candidate wants to raise taxes because they know it will be automatic bad press for the good they are trying to accomplish. Yet, they are in a position of leadership and sometimes leaders must make tough choices.

A more educated and fair evaluation is to look at the way these individuals are allowing public dollars to be spent. I.E. when the STATE legislature pushed through the aboslute fiscal disaster known as the RSL Stadium despite Corroon's opposition to the project (the books show it's a bad investment).

Just today Chris Buttars said we should eliminate buses for high schools to help make up for the budget shortfall. So, do you really think that eliminating the only mode of transportatin some kids have for getting an education is a better choice than funding education better?

I think its better not to count your chickens before they hatch.

• @ Roger J
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:53 p.m.

Probably because he feels he can bring the same good to the entire state that he's given to Salt Lake County all these years. While I still have some research to do on Herbert before I make a final decision, I think he's a great option to have at the voting booth.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 12, 2010 1:05 p.m.

Is Peter LDS?

• Conservative
    Jan. 12, 2010 1:08 p.m.

Yes Carroon is so conservative - he doesn't impose taxes. Instead he labels them Fees - we all need basic fees, don't we.

A vote for Carroon is a vote for Fees and irresponsible democratic spending.

• Zaldy
    Jan. 12, 2010 1:10 p.m.

Be careful what you wish for...L stays liberal no matter what. C remains conservative no mater because it makes all sense.

• Balance
    Jan. 12, 2010 1:12 p.m.

It would be nice to get a little balance in our Republican dominated state. In the few months Herbert has been Governor we have; hotter radioactive waste coming, about to sell our water rights to Vegas, and no support for ethics legislation. Yeah, Herbert is doing a swell job. When Corroon was S.L. County Mayor, he refused to provide county money for the Soccer Stadium. Then Governor Huntsman and the legislature jumped in and provided the money out of Salt Lake County funds coming from the State. Yeah our fiscally conservative republicans, all about corporate welfare as usual. Funny how Corroon's a Democrat and the only public offical not willing to give our money away to Dave Checketts and his stadium.

• Louisiana Cougar
    Jan. 12, 2010 1:15 p.m.

Tina M., I would send my students to a private school in Utah as well. There are a few good public schools (e.g., West High, East High, some of the elementary schools on the East bench), but most of the public schools are underfunded.

That's a funny reason to support a gubernatorial candidate, Tina. Why not support or oppose a candidate based upon his record. Democrats have traditionally been far more supportive of education than Republicans. Think logically, please!

• @ Tina M
    Jan. 12, 2010 1:30 p.m.

Sending your kids to private school doesn't make you an elitist. Who cares if he's from the Northeast? That doesn't make him liberal or elitist. Corroon is FAR from liberal. Do you think we should all be pointing our fingers at you and calling you an uneducated panderer simply because you're from Utah (I assume) and your kids go to public schools?

Your argument is ridiculous. If you don't like Corroon, fine - at least argue about him on the issues instead of defaming him for trying to take care of his family the way he and his wife feel is best. Also, simply calling someone a liberal isn't arguing an issue, it's just immature labeling.

• Carla
    Jan. 12, 2010 1:39 p.m.

I, for one, think Mayor Corroon is breath of fresh air amidst all of the stale republicans Utah has in office. I have watched him since he took office and I think he has been a very fiscally responsible leader. He will have my vote. Good luck, Mayor Corroon!

• Tami
    Jan. 12, 2010 1:54 p.m.

With the current train wreck called new health care being shoved down our throats, the last thing in the world we need is a democratic governor to give Obama any more support. Sorry, good man, wrong party.

• People of Faith
    Jan. 12, 2010 2:23 p.m.

Like most Utah families, Peter and his family are very active in their faith. Mayor Corroon and his wife, Amy, were married in the Cathedral of the Madeleine. As a young man, he spent a lot of time serving sandwiches in the nearby soup kitchen. He said, that as a bachelor, he had some of his best meals there – bologna sandwiches. The Corroon children attend the Madeleine Choir School.

• @ Tami
    Jan. 12, 2010 2:34 p.m.

So you admit you are an uneducated voter who votes strictly party without considering someone's personal and proven record. What a shameful way to dishonor all those who have fought and lost their lives just so you can go and blindly check the big R on the ballot on voting day.

Your reasoning is just like saying you're going to vote for someone just because they are LDS (or any other religion). Being LDS doesn't make you a good person or a good candidate just like simply being Republican doesn't make you fiscally conservative or a good candidate. In fact, party affiliation really is ridiculous in general.

When we vote for a Governor, we are evaluating two candidates for a job. That evaluation should include examination of past work, track record, etc. just like any other job interview would. It should not rest solely on some arbitrary letter that appears after a person's name. Personally, I hope you stay home on election day.

• In for a penny...
    Jan. 12, 2010 2:36 p.m.

Corroon's proven himself to be a fiscal conservative who still understands that the public needs functioning local government services for the local ecomony to thrive. That's an extremely tough balance to achieve, and I applaud his skills in that area.

I also remember that Corroon oppossed funding the soccer stadium with our tax money, but we taxpayers nonetheless got stuck with that monster by the Republican-dominated legislature.

To achieve political balance in state government _and_ have a fiscally conservative, level-headed leader for the state is to me a strong argument in favor of Corroon being our next governor.

• re: Tami
    Jan. 12, 2010 2:45 p.m.

Typical Utah attitude. Walk into the voting booth, hit the Straight Party R without knowing any of the candidates, and move on with life.

So sad.

I'm guessing you voted for W. twice also. Guess you didn't mind having a war shoved down your throat. Or the huge deficits W ran with nothing to show for it. Instead of trying to help Americans with his spending, W spend and watched as Americans lost billions of dollars.

• Pagan
    Jan. 12, 2010 2:47 p.m.

Corroon's got my vote.

Allowing 3,000 tons of depleted uranium did not help my opinion of Gov Herbert.

• Stenar
    Jan. 12, 2010 3:05 p.m.

HURRAH!!! He has my vote.

• Cats
    Jan. 12, 2010 3:41 p.m.

He doesn't have a snowballs chance of getting elected.

• Emjay
    Jan. 12, 2010 3:42 p.m.

• DMH
    Jan. 12, 2010 4:09 p.m.

Well, this is going to make my decision on who to vote for very difficult, because I like both Peter Corroon and Governor Herbert. They both have the same values that I have. I think that they have both done very good jobs in their respected offices and this will be a very good and interesting campaign. I think it will be a very close race and I don't even want to pick a potential winner. I have voted for Corroon twice for County mayor and I like him a lot. Good luck to both men and I look forward to their campaigns.

• Deltabelle
    Jan. 12, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Caroon got my vote the day he sent RSL and their hideous publicly funded stadium packing. Too bad our state officials didn't have the same guts.

• re: Emjay 3:42 P.M.
    Jan. 12, 2010 5:27 p.m.

"Regardless of all the great blogs that have been posted here by the Caroon campaign, the guy hasn't got a chance of being elected."

I suppose it would never occur to you that someone could support Corroon just because he's a smart, ethical guy who would make a good governor, would it?

How do we know that _you're_ not merely a shill for Herbert? Get the point?

Come on, people! Can we PLEASE address the question of who'll be our next governor like grownups?

• RE: Deltabelle
    Jan. 12, 2010 7:09 p.m.

That's funny you bring up the stadium, Coroon lost my vote because he was too naive to see into the future and recognize the changing demographics of our state and country warranted the need for a soccer stadium. God bless Governor Huntsman.

• alan
    Jan. 12, 2010 7:30 p.m.

He is a transplant as he is note from nor was he raised in UTAH. Typical politician he says what you want to hear.

• Get Educated!
    Jan. 12, 2010 8:09 p.m.

Before you throw your support behind a politician, get educated about their platforms, positions & what they plan for.

Most people throw their support behind a 'D' or 'R' without the least thought of getting educated.

Glad Pete is in, but I support no one until I learn about them!

"Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day." -- Thomas Jefferson

• pete will win!!
    Jan. 12, 2010 9:41 p.m.

re:People of faith, lovely message, but that's kind of a lot of personal information...

For those of you opposing Corroon based on taxes and fees alone, Herbert's budget trimming will involve a lot of layoffs. Those who lose their jobs will likely receive unemployment and other social support programs... where do you think the money for that comes from? Recessions hurt, but they cost no matter what.

Everybody practice spelling "Corroon" for homework tonight. Not Caroon, Carroon, Coroon....

• fromsandy
    Jan. 13, 2010 5:39 a.m.

If any of you people know people you know that he is Irish Catholic, hard working and a bit on the cheap side, he definitely is not a spender personally nor he will be for the state. He married a native Utah girl, introduced by her father. Many Catholics in Utah and all over the country choose to send their children to Catholic schools because they attended Catholic school and to make sure they learn their faith. There are no seminaries for Catholics next door to the local public school as there are for Mormons! Mayor Corroon is truly an honest, hard working, ethical guy and the title "democrat" or republican does not apply-although he does look out for the little guy-he definitely would work his heart out for the state.

• JMT
    Jan. 13, 2010 6:24 a.m.

So many reasons for Carroon to not run. He will lose and in pretty decent sized fashion. And he will not lose because he is a bad guy. He will lose because the fundemental dynamics are against him.

First, he is Democrat. Read the polls in Massachusetts. A relative unknown Republican has tied the Democrat for US Senate in a special election. Very likely the Democrat will win (fundamental dynamics) though the fact it is so close shows that the tide is GOP this year. Just as the fundemental dynamics went Dem in 2006 and 2008.

Carroon loses base and votes on that one. Then throw in that no matter what he talks outside of Salt Lake county he is another Nancy Pelosi. Utah, Davis, Weber and Washington Counties will go GOP by 60% plus. Rural Utah will likely push 65%. LDS voters will add a couple percentage points.

Now to his record. He gets a pass in the media and since the Dems control SL County, he even gets a pass with the GOP. They don't like pocking big dogs with sticks. Now the gloves come off and his record is exposed.

Nice guy loses 57-43.

• Sorry no!
    Jan. 13, 2010 7:33 a.m.

I am not interested in a social liberal as my Governor. He is pro-illegal immigrants, pro gay rights, pro abortion and is not the fiscal conservative he claims to be.

• re: JMT
    Jan. 13, 2010 7:52 a.m.

Your putting way to much thinking into this. Coroon will lose because of the D by his name. That's all you need to say to hit any statewide election in Utah on the nose.

Utah has so many uneducated voters who simply vote for the R. It's really pathetic.

Heck, Ivory almost won a few years ago after only being in the race a couple months. They might as well have put "R - Nominee TBA" on the ballet.

• Cold Day
    Jan. 13, 2010 8:00 a.m.

He may carry Salt Lake County but he has no chance of carrying rural Utah and the suburbs. He's a liberal. He's no Governor Matheson!

• proudtobeamom
    Jan. 13, 2010 11:26 a.m.

I would not consider voting for someone who allows the double taxing of unincorporated areas of the county for police service. Where was their money coming from before and where has it gone?
    Our parents (retired, fixed-incomes) will be VERY hard pressed to pay the ADDITIONAL taxes for police service that they already pay/have paid for with their taxes. And as for the businesses/churches, haven't those taxes been paid for already. {How will that money be spent is an interesting thought too.} Every person who pays into church funds & pays property taxes have already paid for that service. Somebody needs to stop this thing before the unincorporated areas have to stop buying goods and services just to be able to pay for police service.
    Once these fees/taxes start, what's to stop it from snowballing into other areas?
    We may have to help our parents pay for the police service and we don't even live in S.L. county. How's that!?

• Managermom
    Jan. 13, 2010 12:09 p.m.

Gary Herbert seems like an intelligent and decent person. However, I just can't keep Herbert in the highest position in our state knowing that he is a College Dropout and that he doesn't give any credence to Global Warming or environmental issues. We are too far along for that.

• To: Mangermom
    Jan. 13, 2010 1:25 p.m.

Just a point. My husband is a PhD and he has serious questions about the science of Global Warming. I like Herbert and he most closely espouses my viewpoints on major issues. I like Carroon, seems like a reasonable person, but he does not share my views. Therefore I choose to vote for someone who shares my views whether they be D or R or I.

• Who is he?
    Jan. 13, 2010 5:26 p.m.

Like it or not, the Mayor did an about face on taxes. After chiding his fellow democrats on the Council this past summer, he went ahead and raised taxes in December. Then comes the "fee" for police. The best statement was "we couldn't transfer the amount (from the Municipal Fund) that was going to the Sheriff because it would require a tax increase." So, surprise, $174 dollar a year fee. Similar to Mike above, the press failed to cover the compelte story on the Real Soccer Stadium. The Mayor once again did a change of position after telling state leaders he would support it. He even went to the extreme of hiring the same consulting firm that said the South Towne Exposition Center would not work....it's only number 1 in the nation for shows and attendance. Of course he covered his tracks with the "professional" work by a consultant. Ask the good Mayor about cap & trade which would bring unbearable increases in utility costs to working families. And how about the way he treats public employees? Who is he? Do you remember the warning in 2008 of "just words"?