Utah Jazz: Team frigid in frosty Memphis

Comments

• Exactly what I dont want to see
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:13 p.m.

That shot by CJ probably wasn't going in anyway. Miles is about the last person I want to see taking the last shot.

• Michael
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:17 p.m.

I'm impressed with the effort the Jazz have been giving defensively in recent games (they were awful on the defensive end last season). Now if they could just get the offense back on track...

When they lose they always have 1 terrible quarter. Tonight it happened again. I wish this team had a few more veterans to settle the team down and keep a more even keel. I think Okur is the oldest player, and he's only like 30 years old. It wouldn't hurt to have a few more vets.

• Great game CJ
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:20 p.m.

just what I expected,Jerry why on earth would you put this clown in to take the last shot WHY? Millsap,Brewer,Price,Korver anybody but Miles.WHY? Do you want to lose Jerry?

• Houdini to CL
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:25 p.m.

Perfect example of what I`ve been saying all along,but you know what,CJ Miles isn`t even worth talking about anymore.This team,I`ve decided has lots of talent,but is not a good team,compared to say Houston,who really doesn`t have the same talent we have,but is a better team.I`ve seen it all now

• Ak Fan
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:31 p.m.

On road Sloan always being Sloan. Offensively Jazz was out of sync. Ak fought back. Last minute possessions were bad.

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:31 p.m.

I would not have wanted CJ either to take the last shot, The Jazz have to do better on last shot options, the last 2 games with Price now this, got to force it into Millsap or Boozer to try and get a hoop and or foul, or set a screen for Korver.

Cj needs to be replaced. It just is not working out.

• HK FANS
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:32 p.m.

Surely Jerry is sick, how can you share the minutes of Brewer/Krover/AK/Matthews/Miles just by rotation without looking at their performance on the pitch?? Miles had a awful game again, and didn't deserve any minutes in the future.

AK surely need to go. His unhappiness maybe compensated by his big contract. But how can a player with this quality is only a bench of that D league player Miles?? It surely a insult...He played in a unfamiliar position for over 3 years. He should go for better future.

• todd to houdini
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:33 p.m.

It is unfortunate because I actually thought Jerry coached a great game tonight. I am sincere in that statement

• The Jazz were a great team
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:34 p.m.

When Matthews was starting. 11-4 with only an 8-man rotation (2-2 after Miles started playing). Now, with CJ starting, theyr'ee an abysmal 3-7. Tonight, it wasn't the last shot. It was the 0-7, lack of energy, and terrible first quarter. Matthews didn't shoot great, but his D (and Price's) were critical to the 3Q comeback.

CJ has had one good game out of 10 as a starter. Matthews got benches after one mediocre game. CU has exhausted his nine lives. It's time for this nightmare to end.

• jazzman72
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:48 p.m.

Glad I was at the Flash game. At least they played well. My son got Jefferson 's autograph. He's a stud. I think Kevin blew it. Great game CJ! I saw that coming. Nice goose egg! What's your excuse for your boy this time Miles? Looks like the Jazz have given up and are going for a high lottery pick.

• Struggling
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:48 p.m.

IMO Okur had an OK offensive game, while Boozer was strugging. If our lovely memo finds back his clutch shooting, he deserved to be in the game in the last few minutes. At least we have someone who is confident in taking shot in closing minutes!!!

• Fedor
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:50 p.m.

Why can't anyone (except Todd) see that CJ continue to be total bust? I rather have that WNBA player Sundiata take last shot.

This continue to be worst season ever. Hard to stomach. Makes everything seem terrible...frustrates.....hard to understand.....everything spinning out of control.

Worst week ever for Jazz. Owner feels need to declare he is real fan. David Locke and Ben Bags blindly defend their company...errr...I mean, the team. CJ Stink. DWill sits. Team play awful. Fans boo. Demand for changes from fans. It's the perfect storm......I feel ashamed to be a fan of this team that I love right now.

• Pleased...
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:51 p.m.

I actually thought the Jazz played well for the most part. They played hard, just not always smart. But that was a heck of a shot by Mayo with 5 seconds left. I say most of the time that doesn't go in.

PS... Anybody notice the hard foul by Boozer late in the game? Best foul all season. Jazz need more of that stuff.

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:51 p.m.

I ache for the team.

Tonight, I am going to be fair. The reality is we always get calls against us. The foul call on Carlos was bogus.

This was a painful loss. However, I know the Sloanites will be shocked by this:

I thought Jerry coached his best game of the season. He finally coached like a "true hall of famer".

The team in losing, let us hope discovered "mentally a turning point"

They scratched, pulled together, got stops.

Sloan kept out Okur and his horrible defense in the 4th quarter, he played Fes.

He allowed the 4th quarter comeback without making dumb moves. Price, Matthews, Millsap, Boozer, AK, and Brewer.

He had 2 3 point shooters at the end. I would forced it into Millie Or Booz try and draw the foul or set a screen and have Korver curl and hit that 3.

It was smart. However, CJ did not anticipate forcing up over Gasol, it was not a good play.

It stinks. We are now 1/2 game out of 8th and go to Dallas. They won at the Spurs.

If the Jazz win tomorrow, it might be a carryover from the grit tonight.

• I do not remember...
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:52 p.m.

the last time the Jazz won a close game on the road. From now on, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm just going to assume that we won't be able to make a shot in the last minute or grab a rebound, and that we'll play terrible defense and find a way to turn the ball over. So frustrating, but until something turns around, I'm just going to expect a loss when it's close and on the road. No reason to think otherwise.

Maybe I'll just stop watching altogether (any chance K.O.C. or G.M. are reading this?). Changes need to be made, and now. I understand that we have the talent, but we don't have a good team. We need new blood, and I don't care who we get rid of except for DWill. If that means unloading for financial reasons in the thought of future success, fine. If that means trying to legitimately become competitive this season, fine. But things need to change. It's becoming hard to watch. This is not the Jazz we know and love.

• CL
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:05 p.m.

Re Houdini, your right. CJ is proving consistant at least at one thing. Being inconsistant and definately not someone you can depend on. A week or two ago I posted I was off the CJ bandwagon but I always seem to keep hoping. It is becoming more than frustrating and something I can't worry about. If he has a good game, good for him but you can't count on it. He definiatly isn't becoming the player I had hoped he would become. Maybe down the road and probably not with the Jazz if it does happen.
    Fess is the player I would like to see get more minutes. When he is in, the game changes for the better. He definately presents a defensive presence. His offense will improve as he gets more comfortable and that will only come with playing time. Haven't looked at the box score yet to see what his +- was. While he was in in the 2nd the Jazz started their come back. He needed to be in more but like usual Sloan kept him out.

• Houdini to Todd
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:16 p.m.

Probably the most talented team we`ve ever had,also the most heartless.we really miss Harpring

• scodyshootfight (KC)
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:18 p.m.

FINALLY, the Jazz played with a lot of heart tonight. I walked away from the game satisfied even though they lost because the effort was there and they all laid it out on the floor. That's all I ask as a fan, and I'll continue to support regardless as long as that kind of heart is shown.

My second thought is about Sloan. The more I think about it, and the longer this season progresses, the more I'm convinced that his success came from #12 and #32, not the other way around. I mean, think about it. It's very reasonable to think that he was the one who ruined the career of Andrei Kirilenko. Remember Gordan Giricek? He was AMAZING when he first came to the Jazz and would have games where he would put up 30 plus and wouldn't miss a triple.

Sloan has to take a lot of the blame for this team underacheiving for the past year and a half.

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:20 p.m.

Tonight I have been reading all sorts of stuff on the wire. Frankly it is turning my stomach.

The biggest problem we have in the organization is Kevin O Connor.

I am sorry, there cannot be any doubt further.

Once again, we are not rumored to make "1 deal"

While that is happening read on:

Reports tonight Houston trying to make a trade for Chris Bosh where they will take the expiring contract not have to give them Mcgrady/

They are also in the running for Caron Butler.

The Wizards may acquire Marcus Camby.

Meanwhile, the rumor next year Avery going back home to Louisiana take Over the Hornets while Bower goes back to being the GM

Sacramento would be willing to take an expiring contract just to obtain another draft pick as they want youth and rebuilding. Just maybe you could pick up a tough character player like Garcia. He seems excess.

All these moves should all depress you, because for one I am tired of the Jazz being "non-active"

• todd to houdini
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:24 p.m.

what is worse our rivals are all showing weaknesses even the "fakers"

Is it just me or can they be taken?

We could all regret for years a failed chance this season

• Hugh G. Hater
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:26 p.m.

Wait for it . . .

Wait for it . . .

"That wasn't Sloan out there shooting 40%"

I'm getting real tired of Okur's pathetic efforts/outputs. And AK's butterfingers.

Ah, the faith placed in CJ . . .

• TJ
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:31 p.m.

the first quarter was revenge from the jazz beating memphis before, but other then that the jazz out scored memphis every quarter. i argree cj shoudnt have taken the last shot should have set a screen for kover.

Big Fes stopped all scoring in the middle. would love for him alot more minutes. If okur isnt scoring he isnt worth having in the game.

Ps i dont know why everybody is harping on the jazz for this game they put a solid effort and almost fot the win. Ff they play like that the rest of the year that would make me a happier jazz fan.

• Chuck Nunn
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:35 p.m.

Y'all know it's coming, but here it is anyway: You mean to tell me after resurrecting Utah's inside defense and posting a +6 on nine first half minutes, Kyrylo Fesenko can't get back into the ball game?! Another five to 10 minutes of him in the third quarter and part of the fourth, the Jazz have a lead that would've carried them through. Instead it's Gasol who is the hero of the game with his last-second stuff of CJ. Where was his shooting tonight? Fortunately Korver provided a boost and got the Grizzlies to spread the floor a bit, but without a hot hand keeping opposing defenses honest, they'll just pack the paint. Rather than have Boozer foul out, why can't Fesenko absorb some of those fouls and provide a tough inside presence at the same time? The kid battled again, and just a little bit more of him on the floor would have made a difference here.

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• Disappointed
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:40 p.m.

What is up with the last play??? CJ hadn't hit a shot all night and he is in the game? Very disappointed but it is just a classic Sloan move.

AK does not show any emotion on the floor. Played a good game with some clutch plays (left handed floater and put back and one come to mind) and he doesn't even look excited or interested!

Price has some serious heart and is improving with every game. Look at how high he is in the air trying to block Gay in the photo for this article. He has the HEART and EFFORT that the rest of the team needs to show.

How about they work on the free throw shooting??? game is over if they make just a couple more. I guess when you are making the big bucks fundamentals don't count anymore.

I'm definitely a frustrated Jazz fan right now.

• Hugh G. Hater
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:40 p.m.

Todd: Remember, the main goal is to be fun and competitive? I guess the defintion of "fun" and "competitive" are open to interpretation.

Maybe we'll get a tweet soon defining those terms.

Everything now is ugly: the coaching, the players' efforts, management, etc . . .

• todd to chuck
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:49 p.m.

Yeah, my fault I forgot Boozer fouled out on that horrible call.

Chuck, You can help all of us here. You have more insight than me, I will defer to people that know a little more so here goes:

Is there any truth to the ESPN report tonight about Snooz going to the Mavericks?

If so, and O Connor pulls this off, I will lessen my negativity.,

The question is who would they give us?

What would you fans want?

Dampier or Marion?

I need answers, so do the Jazz Universe

• CL
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:52 p.m.

What's with Ak only getting 19 minutes? He brings so much to the game, even if he is not scoring.

• jazzman72
    Jan. 8, 2010 11:18 p.m.

I agree with the AK comment CL. Why did Miles get so many minutes when he was totally ineffective? AK probably would have helped the team more. I also agree with Chuck. More minutes for Fes could have made a big difference. We need a coach who will utilize the talent on this team.

• todd
    Jan. 8, 2010 11:43 p.m.

see my Oracle Comments. Good luck tomorrow, maybe Dirk will only go for 40

• the Mailman
    Jan. 8, 2010 11:47 p.m.

More minutes for Fez?
    My goodness how obvious is that..except to the man that calls the shots.

What a sad state of affairs that the man in charge is so, so stubburn.

The Jazz management have no interest in winning a title, that has never been more clear than it is right now. Just show em the money, thats all that matters, and i bet that is just fine by Sloan. He gets his millions year in, year out.

We poor fans are being taken or a ride..

• CL
    Jan. 8, 2010 11:57 p.m.

Re Chuck & Jazzman72: AMEN Totally agree. Fes has go to get more time!!!!!!

• JAZZ....
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:04 a.m.

Dirk will get at least 80 pts. Usually we have a bad game after a good game (lost 2 pts on the road is good enough for them!!!)

• Anonymous
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:19 a.m.

no longer a fan

• B.R.
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:40 a.m.

Like I have been saying all along, we need more Fesenko. He could have been the difference had he played in the 2nd half. Go figure?

• BP
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:48 a.m.

Bottom line: Jazz are still playing good defense. Offense just needs to pick it up.

I will repeat my prediction, because I'm more than sure it will come to pass:

As Korver gets healthier and gets more minutes, the Jazz offense will flow again and points will be on the board. Not necessarily from Korver, but his outside shooting frees up the offense. Just like Hornaceks used to do. Even if he's not making, he is always a threat and opposing teams respect him enough. Couple that with the fact that Korver is ALWAYS moving and you get opposing teams scrambling and more high percentage shots in the paint. It will happen, because it does every time.

This isn't the first time I've said this, and I'm not the only one who's said it, but mark my words.

My only hope is that our defense keeps holding teams in the low 90's. That will come in handy in the playoffs. I predict we still climb up to the 5th seed by seasons end.

We need to stop worrying about trades, etc. It might happen, but it might not. The game goes on.

• BP on Fez
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:57 a.m.

I love Fez, in fact I think I was lobbying for him to get more minutes back when everyone else was saying he'll never amount to anything because he's a goof, etc.

But despite my liking Fez, Okur's EFF ratings are so much higher. That's the stat that measures a players total efficiency in every category. That's why Sloan plays him more. But on any given night, Fez can be the difference in the game so I was glad to see Jerry use him appropriately tonight.

Okur and Fez can be a difficult duo if they are used in tandem. Either on the floor at the same time, or rotating regularly to confuse defenses. Throw Koufos (a Memo/Fez hybrid) in there when he matures and we'll have a pretty effective front line. It'll happen. Fez is finally starting to mature and Koufos just needs PT.

• JAZZ ARE...
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:59 a.m.

10th now in the West hahahaha! jazz are terrible!

• Calgary Jazz
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:03 a.m.

to disappointed: You would think coach would reward you with minutes after great game? Not in Sloan's land: 19 min for AK? when Miles stinks there for 25? Sloan is pathetic.... he is so done.

• Re: Michael
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:17 a.m.

Michael,
    The defense has been better, but what's the point of playing good Defense if you don't win the game? And we can't make excuses that the Jazz are still learning, they've been together for 4 years now, they've been to the Western Conference Finals, The conference semi finals, and the first round three times, they should know what it takes to not only finish a game, but what it takes to win on the road, in other words, these guys are veterans that only care about how big their check is that they take home. Enough of the boozer talk, boozer hasn't been all that bad, i liked his play. Ronnie Price should start over D Will because he doesn't waste half the shot clock before getting the team into the offense unlike D Will.

• Chuck Nunn
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:09 a.m.

Todd, I'm not sure about any trade in the works to send Boozer to Dallas, but I'm almost certain that the trades we hear about are the ones that aren't going to happen. KOC is notoriously tight-lipped about any such moves.

BP, I love Okur too. Not sure why he's not shooting the way he normally does, likely he's playing through something. I just think that Fesenko should be the guy backing him up. I'd also like to see Memo and Fess on the floor at the same time, as I've always felt that Okur is more suited to the PF spot. But certainly, when Okur is out, Fesenko should be in.

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• Jazz Cop
    Jan. 9, 2010 5:03 a.m.

When gasol left okur to go block that shot, memo slipped back to the three point line. thats the way memo plays and i'm fine with it, but it's no wonder the jazz aren't a better team. maybe if moneyman had stayed closer to the basket gasol doesn't leave to go for a block?
    I thought it was a fun game to watch. The jazz handled them easily at home, and almost won at their place. The grizz are a good team, and they gave it their best, so I'm satisfied, but dissapointed that our best didn't beat them.

I agree good foul for boozer. I'm glad the refs didn't tech him, they made the right call, it was a foul, but it wasn't a tech, same thing when gasol popped his shoulder, sometimes those things happen when people are hustling.

Fesenko gets some minutes, the team comes back to life, and we're starting to get some life in the paint again.

• Jazz Cop
    Jan. 9, 2010 5:19 a.m.

The jazz need to get some life into the paint. Some toughness they've been lacking. Okur hustled, thats what the jazz need from him, but he's not bringing life back to the paint.

@todd-i would give jer sloan about a b+ tonight. I thought he rode ak too hard. There was a point where the jazz got the lead, and I would've pulled ak, and surprisingly I would've put in okur for some more offense. Later boozer fouled out, so ak would've had a natural opportunity to be in the game at the end. I also thought gaines should've played more, the jazz didn't get rolling until gaines touched the ball.
    Sloan was vocal, and had good timeouts, and kept a good rythym. But he could've done a couple things differently that probably would've kept momentum going the jazz way.

• Steven
    Jan. 9, 2010 6:50 a.m.

Am I Wrong about this?...
    Jerry Sloan seems to have an outdated coaching philosophy that make less tallented players better and less tallented teams over-achieve.

It also makes great players average, and great teams underachieve.

• Jazz a .500 team
    Jan. 9, 2010 7:07 a.m.

Up one night, down the next. Easy math.

• John Wicks
    Jan. 9, 2010 7:19 a.m.

0 points in 25 minutes. Great coaching job Sloan. When are you going to get it. And then putting him in for the last play of the game. Miles should never even be playing. Korver ought to have the starting job if the Jazz want to make the playoffs. Jerry wake up.

• Miles
    Jan. 9, 2010 7:28 a.m.

Once again this loss is on Sloan,great shooters need time to get untracked, to find their stroke,CJ was pulled out after only 25 minutes,he needs 35/40 to be effectiveHe is the only pure shooter on this team but isn`t used properly,not his fault

• DC Hilton
    Jan. 9, 2010 7:29 a.m.

The fools who continue to lambaste Sloan don't understand one thing: He is the Jazz. When he retires, you will soon lose your team. Salt Lake, as a small city, is lucky to have a team. Do you think Flip Saunders or any of the other mediocre coaches out there will continue the legacy of the Jazz and their proven style of play? Doubtful. The seats will slowly empty and the team will be sold.

I live in DC and have to suffer with the Wizards. There are 5 million people here to support a team. There's also a lot of ill-gotten money to afford $100 tickets. Obviously, any team could draw fans here. Salt Lake has a special situation on it's hands and it was created by Sloan and Larry Miller (and Stock and Karl). Sloan is a rare commodity and he could take any group of idiots and go .500. I wish he'd come to DC, but it would be your loss.

I for one am going to enjoy seeing Jerry coach until the hall-of-fame legend calls it a day.

• SJDY
    Jan. 9, 2010 8:08 a.m.

Same Jazz - Different Year

• FDR
    Jan. 9, 2010 8:34 a.m.

When is Koufos getting off the pine? Ridiculous. He is a hybrid Memo/Fes, and he would give us inside presence on d, which Okur has trouble with, and the o skills that Fes can't give us. We are so foolish not to play this kid. We need his length, rebounding, and o skills. If you gave him the playing time that Fes is now getting, his numbers would be triple Fes', and we wouldn't be worried about the inside. I'd also play them together, that is Memo and KK, or KK and Fes. But Coach seems to not allow him to play and learn. That is the only way for him to show his worth to the team. Unbelievable.

• Cheers for the Jazz
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:06 a.m.

The Jazz may be on a bit of a downward spiral but at least they don't have the massive problems as the Wizards! Let's get behind our team. So they are on the skid for now. Teams lose! They played hard last night....after the first quarter.....They want to win...sometimes the other team gets in the way! Cheer the Jazz on. They need the fan support not all the negative vibes.

• Hustle Player
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:10 a.m.

I have to agree, when Korver gets more time the offense will spread and improve. He is more of a threat than Miles or Matthews. Korver is highly respected as a shooter....the Grizzles had him covered last night on that last shot! It was great to see Korver come in and get some shots. He plays with hustle and heart. Besides he can shoot that ball !

• Love that Korver
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:15 a.m.

The healthier Korver gets the Jazz will improve. The more time he spends on the floor the more the offense spreads out. If only there were some plays designed for him. His 4 for 5 last night was a sign of good things to come. It was a fun game to watch until the last 5 secs. Korver truly leaves it all out on the floor every time he gets in the game.

• Nevada fan
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:15 a.m.

To Chuck: This sis the first time I have to disagree with you on one point , and that is Okur. Even the announcers commented on how slow he is. They even went as far as questioning if the replay was full speed or slowed down. I do agree with you on your point that it would be nice to see Fes and Okur (at the 4) at the same time. This would mean that Booz, Milsap, and AK would play at the 3 and that would make this team alot longer, but the Coach will never try this.

• At least it was...
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:17 a.m.

an entertaining game.

It is obvious we have too many 2's and 3's in the rotation so at the very least we need to trade or sit one of them on the bench. As much as I have backed CJ over the years I think he needs to be the odd man out. He does seem to be trying more on D but on the offensive side he just stands around and waits for the ball. You watch, Brewer, Korver, Matthews they are constantly on the move. I still believe that with time, he will "get it" (Another example of a HS'er who wasnt NBA ready) but our team right now is better w/o him. (Assuming Korver is healthy)

Also, if there is anyone still putting negative comments about Price here, its time to stop!!! Sure the guy has a few turnovers every game but how many does he create? The new Harpring? A pest. Not too mention the most exciting part of every Jazz game is when the other team has a fast break and Price is chasing behind for the block.

• todd to miles
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:25 a.m.

spare all of us. This is why you get the criticism you do. Outlandish comments. CJ does not exactly have a track record even like John Starks did when Riley left him in there for that o for 15 against Houston in Game 7.

It is funny, SLoan is getting ripped on a night more so than when he truly deserves it. I have more fault with how the last play was executed. Of course we do not know in what order the options were given. I do not fault with Jerry putting in 2 3 point shooters to go for the win in regulation.

Of course, tonight is another night.

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:31 a.m.

on Okur playing #4 and Fes #5 together. I would love to see this tried more. Better yet, any trade if the Jazz ever would make, Okur would be on top of my list to be moved and maybe get some interest.

• Bully-Boy Sloan
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:31 a.m.

After a horrendous first quarter and start to the second Mister tough guy finally makes a subsitution and puts Fess in. Now the team starts a rally from down 19 and the team is stopping the inside game for Memphis and what happens? A timeout is called and "hook nose" while the camers are on him lays into to Fess for a mistake he made that more than likely cost the team 2 points. Point in this is that this is a confused coach and someone(Fess in this incident)is going to get his wrath. He always has a player on his teams that are going to get his frustrations and public degrading issued to. Every year or sometimes it's multiple years he picks out someone he can insult so that he looks tough and mean. I have hoped for years that one of these guys would pick this man up and shake him so hard that the marbles he has for brains would spill all over the floor. Maybe then he would treat players with respect, trying to be a teacher instead of a dictator. This man is disgusting and embarrassing! Get gone Sloan.

• Rotation
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:37 a.m.

Everyone likes to say how deep the Jazz are, but I dont think that is the case. Sloan needs to tighten the rotation. We shouldn't be going more than 9 deep. I do applaud Sloan for trying to find combos that work, but we are too late in the season to keep experimenting. I said it when they signed Okur to the extension,(and didnt the Jazz sign him because they finally found someone who said they wanted to stay in Utah?) but who needs a 7 footer that can only shoot 3's if his feet have been set for 3 seconds? No low post game, plays no defense, I cringe every time he drives to the hoop. I would love to find a trade that includes Okur and one of our 2/3's. The only way Okur should be on the floor is if Fes is there to cover up his lack of defense. The playoffs go through LA and until we get longer and more athletic in the post we dont have a chance. Trade Okur, and give Fes some minutes. If he isnt the answer what have really lost?

• Miles: RE At least it was...
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:39 a.m.

Are you serious? you want to sit the best player on the team? We are where we are because of CJ,without him we aren`t even in the playoff hunt,get a clue

• Adding To Last Post
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:43 a.m.

I have had it with Sloan as you can read from the previous post. Players don't need to be publicly humiliated to play this game and should not have to put up with it. Why doesn't he get on D-Will, Boozer, Memo, and C.J. when publicly when they screw up time after time? The man just flat out picks out someone to be his whipping boy every year. It's disgusting! Until he has taken the heart and confidence out of these players he's not happy. Send him back to the farm and maybe he can organize a retirees team that plays in a rec league and he can be in his heaven. I've seen enough here. We need a new GM and completely new coaching staff, then this team will play up to potential! Get it done Millers!

• No More
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:44 a.m.

Life long Jazz fan... sad state of affairs... make some moves Kevin this team doesn't fit together. Can't even watch my favorite team Sloan, Miles, Boozer need to go. I don't mind not always winning but you have to try and get better. Locke is terrible... pleaseeeeeeeeee get us someone better.

• Miles
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:46 a.m.

@Todd:

First off Todd this is my first post. Houdini is the one making the fake posts for me. He does that due to his love for Miles.

Second: If you want to blame anyone for the lose last night, blame Boozer. 6 for 18 from the field. Randolph scores 1/3 of Memphis points.

Third: Matthews was 2 for 9. How do you rate that?

Fourth: CJ stunk last night but not the reason we lost. Look at Boozer for that one. And why does Jerry call the CJ's number to take the last shot when he is 0 for 7 in the game?

• todd UPDATES
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:53 a.m.

CHuck, and others:

The rumor reported of that 3 way trade last night. It is still on, but guess what it has been diminished to involve only Jersey and Dallas. Drew Gooden would have been removed by last Wednesday for him and Najera to come here for Snoozie.

Dallas is dealing Sean Williams and Kris Humphries (who fans liked there, ah someone getting worse after leaving SLoan?)to New Joisey for Najera.

As result, everyone STILL STUCK WITH BOOZIE.

Gets better O Connor fans (why)

The Wizards are willing to gut the whole roster only for "expiring contracts only no money taken in"

Butler is courted by several teams.
    Houston wants Bosh

If you want to trade with Washington expiring contracts only...

• Jake
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:16 a.m.

Jazz down by 2...5 seconds left...

Sloan: "I got a great idea that'll catch everyone off guard. Let's run a play for the guy who's 0-6! They'll never expect it!"

As everyone's fave coach, Isiah Thomas once said, "It's crazy enough it just might work."

That's the level Sloan's at right now - Isaiah Freakin Thomas.

FIRE SLOAN!!! He's lost all control.

• Miles
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:16 a.m.

@ Todd,sorry Todd,the first post was mine but not the second

• Disappointing but......
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:21 a.m.

...at least they worked hard.

Tough to lose but at least their effort was watchable. Even in the loss that was a product worth my time to watch.

I'm glad they did not lay down on the road like they have so many times in the past.

They fought hard till the end.

Some bogus calls really ate up their chances for a win but that is the reason it is always tougher to win on the road.

I LIKED BOOZER putting Mayo on the floor!! If we could get Boozer and Memo to do that in the first 5 minutes of every ball game maybe other teams would not be so comfortable with their layup drill.

• Houdini
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:23 a.m.

No Miles,I`m not posting as you and you know it.You like to post trial balloons to see everyones reaction,then pretend they`re not your posts,be a man for once ,or maybe you`re not a man?

• todd to miles
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:25 a.m.

sorry if that is the case, i do not get peoples mindsets, people have done it to me also.

I sense Matthews is more of a defensive type, and not the greatest shooter. I known what Zach did he abused him, Millsap and the Tabernacle Choir and everyone else in the low post.

I tried today this expiring contract stuff with the Wizards on ESPN trade machine.

Boozie, Korver and Brewer in final year.

Using combination of 2 of 3 or all 3, a trade works out with basically anyone from the Wizards Roster. Young, Haywood and Butler in my opinion the best deal for the 3 expiring contracts.

• JT:Re Miles
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:26 a.m.

Here we go again,Miles blaming Boozer/Matthews,everyone except his boy CJ

• VirginiaJazzfanfan
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:34 a.m.

I am the only one gettting frustrated to hear over and over again from all the Jazzplayers say the same thing abothe the lack of energy ,need to step it up when playing on the road. I am glad I didn't but the NBA package this year as it would have frustated me even more and since the jazz appear to to not be headed to the playoffs it was a good finicial decision. As a long time Jazz fan who was there the first game of the Utah jazz era this team has no leaders and most of them have "No heart" It's time to start benching players and for changes.If players are not giving there all it's time to cut our losses and send them packing. That's the real world. Jerry seems to be cuddling these young players . the old days jerry would have benched them and give them an ear full.

• CL
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:39 a.m.

Miles, your crazy, like I've said I'm a CJ fan but your can't blame Sloan for CJ's poor shooting last nigtht. Your exagerations are unreal. CJ needs to come to the game more prepared and be more mentally tough. CJ wasn't trying hard enough. He lack toughness. CJ needs to have a pre game routine like Ray Allen. Preparation will bring the results he needs but he seems lazy and way to non-shalont.
    What I do and have critisized Slaon for is not building young players confidence by the way he handles young players. He is negative and makes them fearfull their doing something wrong all the time. You can see it in their faces. CJ for the last 3or4 yrs Fes 3yrs & KK expecially this yr.

• Doug
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:05 a.m.

Give me strength,

Todd says more Fez and more Korver.
    Last year in the playoffs Korver would not shoot. He turns into the consumate passer when in a pressure situation and showed it again tonight. Against the Lakers he has no heart or confidence and I was hoping his rehab time would help his backbone but that is obviously not the case.

And the cry for play more Fez is about worn out. He plays a few big minutes but our lead vanished while he was on the floor. How can a team afford that? Fez is an overgrown streetballer and Sloan tries to teach and give him time but the cost to the team is horrendous.

• Houdini To Todd/Jazz fans
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:15 a.m.

I posted earlier that I`m done posting about CJ.whoever is posting as me,oh well.I didn`t like your call for a boycott last year,but I`m writing a letter to the Jazz expressing my dissatisfaction with the direction of this team,addressed to Kevin O`Connor.I know there has to be 250,000 Jazz fans out there,if we flood their mail room with letters,maybe they`ll listen,I don`t think e-mail would work,they`ll just delete them.Don`t know what else to do,any ideas?,this is OUR TEAM.We pay the bills and should have some say.Too much talent on this team to lose to Memphis/Minnesota....

• Anonymous
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:19 a.m.

to todd from santa ana:

Really now, you don't have to type out EVERY single thought that comes into your head. Try putting a cohesive thought together. Just because the newspaper uses one-sentence paragraphs doesn't mean you have to as well. You're not an expert, don't pretend to be one.

• Houdini
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:21 a.m.

One more thought,in my letter I`m mentioning the verbal abuse Sloan gives his players,I`ve heard for myself.Some places you`d get arrested for verbally abusing someone like that.I`s no wonder Fess and young guys are afraid to play here,sending my letter out today,took me 5 minutes and costing 40 cents

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:23 a.m.

DWIl and Price PG, if kid works out Gaines he is #3
    Off guard Butler, backup Matthews

Small Forward- AK, Backup Nick Young, CJ
    Power Forward-Mille, Backup Okur
    Center-Haywood, Fes

You can mix and match. This would get us going now to rebuild this roster.

We have far better defense, Further Nick lifetime scores 1 point for every 2 minutes of action. He is lifetime 37 percent 3 point shooter. He can do more things than Brewer and basically be an upgrade over Korver athletically.

Butler has been playing some at Shooting Guard now he is a tweener at 6/7. If the Bulls acquired him he would split shooting guard with Salmons.

Butler and Millsap would average about 35 between them, Okur and Young provide off the bench offense.

Haywood could play about 25 minutes, and at least give Fes 15 minutes or play them and Okur together

• To Doug
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:25 a.m.

did you watch the game,Doug,Korver shot 4/5 not bad,last year he was hurt,Doug are you sure you`re a real fan or just a wannabee complainer

• To Chuck@3:09am
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:47 a.m.

Great post.

I want to see Okur and Fes on the floor at the same time as well. And Okur should move to the PF spot.

I personally think Okur is in a funk because the jazz org are trying to make him things he is not. He is NOT a low post banger. He is a SHOOTER. That is what he is best at, that is what everyone remebers him as. I see to many bad plays called for okur to banging around into the paint resulting in a bad shot or turn over.

Having Okur/Fes in, the jazz can have both defense and spread the floor from Okurs shooting.

Jimbo

• re: Doug
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:52 a.m.

You blame Korver for his efforts to pass more and shoot less? You think Korver WANTS to shoot less? It is clear that he shoots the ball better when he takes more shots... compare his stats from Philly to his stats in Utah. You think this change came about because he has no spine or heart? Are you kidding me? LOL A shooter that just doesn't like shooting... wow, must be a first in the NBA!! Korver has changed his game to fit into Sloan's system... period, cut, end of story. That last play wasn't designed for Korver to take a quick shot... not with 5 seconds on the clock. Had he found himself wide open, he shoots it... having shot well all night, I'm sure he would have taken an OPEN shot. With time on the clock though, no way Sloan wants him to take that shot... Sloan wants to... what, everyone??? Say it together... pound it inside and score and/or draw the foul. The problem in this case was that CJ should not have even been on the floor, much less driving for a soft, fade-away nothing shot.

• Miles
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:59 a.m.

Houdini give it a rest. Your writing style is one of a kind. You have posted as "Miles" 4 times today. I know you wish you were me, but you aren't. So go back to your basement and collect your government check.

Show some class and post as Houdini, comma man or comma boy. But don't pretend to be me.

• Miles
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:01 p.m.

CL I am saying that Boozer gave up 29 points and went 6 for 18. You do the math.

• Stop the dreaming
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:34 p.m.

We all know O'Connor will not try to get a blockbuster trade going and another thing Jerry will not approve that trade. You guys are all blind Sloan runs the show on the court and in the front office. O'Connor and Little Miller are only Jerry's scared little puppets on a string. This team will remain the same the whole year no changes will be made and if they are it will be an unsmart insignificant trade that will not help the team. I love the Jazz more than most of you people on here but I truly have ZERO faith in this team. If they can't get it together by now they are not going to....Stick a fork in em fellas they are done for the year.

• todd to houdini
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:44 p.m.

I cannot believe it. My friend I am proud, great great. I should wait until after tonight. When we get killed in the back to back, it will have more effect than I can get even "more emotional"

Sloan targets Fes?

it would not shock me. Thanks for your opinion,. But i now know a way to "directly email the source", maybe I will do both....

• todd to houdini
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:49 p.m.

On Sloan verbal abuse:

I am very troubled to hear that. I read your posts the other day which were some of the best work I have ever read from you, regarding your daughter social work. etc

I agree it is awful, when I coached even my adult league games I acted for years like a Bobby Knight,. thinking "oh this is fun".

I realized on my own mostly, it is being a teacher, listener, positive reinforcement, works better. I learned the hard way. If Sloan acts this way, I am more anti SLoan because it not the right way.

Besides, do you ever see him rip DWIL, Okur, or Boozer or Millsap even publicly?

I saw when CJ was replaced the other night, he said something to him, and it did not look too nice. There is merit I feel in what you are saying.

• put the fork in
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:57 p.m.

face it...the jazz are not a very good team

despite the salaries, despite the talet level, the team continues to lose

maybe this yr, they will play better..DWill returns as a good floor general, booze and okur hits their shots and rebound, AK begins playing like he cares, and Milsap, brewer, miles, korver fit their talents into the team role..

but..any team that wants to beat them, just needs to attack the middle..with okur, booze they are softer than 1 ply, generic brand toilet paper..and the defensive effort sadly resembles the fore mentioned comparison..

and it does seem they have tuned sloan out, but the answer is not to fire sloan..sloan does things right, just get rid of player, including DWill, who is part of the problem

but..does not matter..i will stil follow them..

• Y 2K orver
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:03 p.m.

the jazz, in many ways, seem to never have guys who want to take over the game..

DWiil doesnt..Booze doesnt..KK should have shot...miles had he had more confidence in his shot, would have histed it without hesitation..

maybe they can learn from this

• CL
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:21 p.m.

Re Miles: How ridiculous some of the comments on this board are do make it amussing and enjoyable BUT come on Miles.
    My Dad, many times told me, It's one thing to let everyone think your a fool, it's another thing to open your mouth and remove all dought.
    Your statement DO THE MATH**** LETS DO THE MATH
    BOOZ 6 FOR 18 = 33%, CJ O for 7 equals 0%.
    What does that tell you?
    I agree Booz didn't shoot well but 33% is much better than 0%. BE HONEST ABOUT THINGS. CJ's shooting last night stunk. Put the blame where it needs to be. Like I said, Sloan is terrible on young kids and their confidence but SLOAN DOESN'T SHOOT THE BALL.
    MILES to your boy CJ to have a better work ethic and pregame routine. Tell him to find out what Ray Allens routine is and copy it.
    I'd love to see Sloan retire and the Jazz get a new coach. Someone who is more uptempo and uses the 3 pt shot as part of his offense, instead of 3's only when the Defense forces it.

• Concerned Fan
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:26 p.m.

WHY!!! Is no one stating the obvious FIRE JERRY SLOAN!!! The man has been a CANCER to the Jazz for long enough!!! His old school ways don't work anymore in the NBA!!! Even coaches who have been around for a while Gregg Poppavich, Larry Brown know that you cannot continue to run the stupid old school. You don't have John or Karl out there who bought into it. FIRE JERRY SLOAN!!! FIRE JERRY SLOAN!!! Should be heard from the rafters at the ESA!!! As long as he is calling the shots and that poor coaching staff is in tact the Jazz will never be a title contender!!!! If Jerry really wants to help the Jazz he would step down and call it a career! Hopefully something is done soon!!!

• Chuck Nunn
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:00 p.m.

Pardon me, there, Doug, but "Fes plays a few big minutes, but our lead disappears"? Were you watching the same game the rest of us were? The Jazz were down 17 points when Fesenko came in, and the lead was cut to 9 points by the end of the quarter, thanks in no small part to the presence he provided defensively in the paint. Not to mention the "Jazz Oracle Play of the Game" when Ronnie Price turned on the speed, catching everyone unaware but Fesenko, who received Price's pass and went up high and strong for a thunderous dunk. If you don't agree with us, that's fine, it's America. But at least have your info straight before you disagree.

• Take a break Sloan
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:06 p.m.

I think we'd all like to see the 3's raining from on high. It sure would be alot more fun to watch than forcing the ball inside so Boozer can lose control of the shot! We have enough 3 point shooters that would get that offense running. Maybe Sloan could take a vacation so he wouldn't have to see the 3's falling!

• Miles
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:11 p.m.

CL:

How many shots did Boozer miss: 12

How many shots did CJ miss: 7

I am sure if CJ had taken 18 shots last night, he would have made 6 of them.

Out of 18 scoring attempts, Boozer scores 12 points. Then turns around and gives up 29 points to Randolph.

Boozer attempts 22% of the team's attempts.

CJ Attempts 8% of the team's attempts.

My math adds up to Boozer was the loser last night.

• More Time
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:12 p.m.

@Todd....stop the crazy notion of trading Korver. He is the ultimate team player that gives his all every game he's on the floor. He even stopped playing because he couldn't help his team. Even when there was a rookie conspiring to take his place Korver was man enough to know he was playing subpar and sat out. When Korver is healthy Matthews cannot get anywhere close to his talent. I won't even mention CJ...because if anyone needs to be traded it is CJ! Korver is a smart player and the most unselfish guy on the floor. Can he shoot the ball? Well we know the answer to that. He needs more time on the floor and he will prove his worth time and time again!

• The Reason We Stink
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:20 p.m.

Is because Jerry Sloan is accountable to no one. He doesn't care about winning, he cares more about his own egotism. For some reason he likes to belittle big men and make them look foolish. Oystertag, Fesenko, Koufos and I'm sure there have been more.

• Fes Fouls
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:48 p.m.

Are getting better all the time. When he is fouling now he is making the most of it and taking about 3 guys out with one swipe. Bodys are flying out of the paint and falling like domino's as he stands there unscathed as if to say, "Send some more of them in."

• Fes Fouls
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:52 p.m.

Which would you rather see? Fes Fouls or tip toe through the tulips?

• Fes Fouls
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:58 p.m.

Leave him in long enough so we can see him use all 6 of them. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

• todd to concerned fan
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:01 p.m.

Have you read my work? Do not worry I will not start.....Give me another day or so, everyone should follow Houdini idea. A great 40 cent investment. Then again, what pigeon will screen it and keep away from Greg?

• CL
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:31 p.m.

Re Miles: You can't say he probably would have. It's hard to say what CJ would have done last night. 0 for 7 not too good.
    I'm a big CJ fan and hope for the best for him, BUT you have to see things as they are. He is soooooo inconsistant. That doesn't mean he doesn't do some nice things out there but so far this yr he is not shooting that well, he looks tired and winded alot of the time. He gets pulled because he is shooting poorly and hangs his head and then makes other mistakes. Not husltling, poor D, poor pass to name a few.
    We often say Sloan needs to build CJ's confidence and let him shoot, he is a shooter. If CJ's shot is not falling and then he hangs his head and makes other mistakes, then I don't blame Sloan for pulling him. CJ needs to mature and stay focused and play tougher.
    I was glad for CJ's confidence that they went to him for the last second shot, but he went to the hole weak.
    Come on CJ step it up.

• todd on korver
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:41 p.m.

That person who wrote I want him traded.

That is because the Wizards only want expiring contracts.

I have always been a Korver Fan. Without him being acquired 2 years ago, we may not have made the playoffs took the Lakers to 6 tough games without him.

Under Sloan, Korver is not allowed to do what he does best, shoot away play loose and goosey.

Last season, The Orlando Magic Radio announcers stated when Korver was with the Sixers, they were concerned about him, and he was a concern for the Magic game plan when playing the Sixers.

• Nothing will change...
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:59 p.m.

...until we get a different coach. Sloan is so set in his ways, he won't play Fes or Koufos over Okur, he won't play Matthews unless a couple other vets are hurt, and he won't adapt in so many other ways I can't list them all.

• Monty Montana
    Jan. 9, 2010 4:20 p.m.

Time to put AK back in the starting line up and bring Korver of the Bench and give him CJ's minutes plus the few he was already getting. Give CJ the towel boys minutes!

• Shoot Away
    Jan. 9, 2010 5:10 p.m.

Good idea Monty Montana. I agree AK should be in the starting lineup. Korver could back him up. You will never see Korver pout or complain. He wants to play and will do anything to help his team. It would be fun to see him unleashed and play the way he did in Philly. Korver has been a very good sport about adjusting his game for the Jazz system. Now that Kover's getting healthy hope Sloan lets him get in the zone and shoot away.

• Backseat GM
    Jan. 9, 2010 5:19 p.m.

Hey all you hatin' Sloan and Jazz mgmt. posters, keep it down, ok? If you keep it up, you'll let the cat out of the bag that Fez, Koufos and Brewer are future superstars. Maybe San Antonio (that plays nearly the exact same offense as the Jazz) will read your posts and offer Duncan straight up for Fez.
    And he wouldn't play in SA, either.