Fine dining: Utah Valley offers new tastes for the palate

Comments

• Salt Lake Centric
    Jan. 5, 2010 6:11 p.m.

I would hardly place Salt Lake Valley dining in the same category as New York City or San Francisco.

• come on now
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:15 p.m.

if you thought the article was comparing salt lake restaurants to those in major cities, you were reading it too critically. it was obvious what the article was saying. that said, i won't travel to utah county for food.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 5, 2010 10:30 p.m.

got any good vegetarian places?

• Ut chefs
    Jan. 6, 2010 12:10 a.m.

Sounds great... how's their wine list?

• Anonymous
    Jan. 6, 2010 1:11 a.m.

Sorry folks:

Any restaurant, which features a sign that says, “order here” is hardly a candidate for an eatery that focuses on high-end presentation.

Give me the white linen tablecloths and napkins.

• awesomeron
    Jan. 6, 2010 2:12 a.m.

Communal would be to close to Commode for Me to consider eating at.

Prepare you Sunday meal on Saturday so you only have to reheat it.

The Idea is for everyone to Rest not the Poor Work, and the Pious be served.

Tipping the Server with a Church Tract, or BOM, does not count as a Tip. If you are going to do that, and there is nothing wrong with that, (except the assumption that the Server needs enlightenment), Double or even Triple the Tip.

I gave a kid a stock tip once and met him several years later on a Golf Course. I wish I had taken my own Tip.

I understand Police, Fire, and some Health Care Workers, some Hotel Workers, but the Rest is mostly Not Needed.

• Anon 808
    Jan. 6, 2010 2:26 a.m.

I like to Eat Out but Never Ever On A Sunday. If No Meal at Home is prepared, thats what a Can of Progresso and a Microwave are for.

Reheat the Calamarie and Gau Gee, I bought o Saturday.

Put the non Breaded Shrimp (Do Not Eat Breaded Shrimp if God had ment them to be Breaded he would have created them that way),in water when you Microwave them and they will turn out nice.

Chicken was ment to be Breaded the Breading replaces the Feathers and makes the Taste Better. However you do not have to Bread it, if you Bake the Chicken. Breading covers up skinney chicken.

When I eat out I do not want High End Presention. I want to stuff my face. So Ruby Tuesdays is my Favorite for American Food, and I love Asian Food.

If I have to feed the Hungry on Sunday, and that has happened I know a Buddist with an Asian Take Out.

• Annie
    Jan. 6, 2010 5:57 a.m.

Communal and Pizzeria 712 offer great dining! My friends and I go back and back. Both offer fresh, healthy foods in unique atmospheres. Can't be beat!

• to: Ut chefs
    Jan. 6, 2010 6:24 a.m.

You are right. The wine list makes the restaurant go. Here in my state it is fantastic!!

• Susan
    Jan. 6, 2010 7:21 a.m.

"Fine Dining" and the waitress shown is wearing a tee shirt?? "High end" restaurants don't usually have an "Order Here" sign painted on their walls, either. I think our standards are a tad low.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 6, 2010 7:43 a.m.

Any place where the waitress wears t-shirt does not count as fine dining.

• Also
    Jan. 6, 2010 9:10 a.m.

You could add Sparks in Provo for another metropolitan place to eat in the area.

• Please stay
    Jan. 6, 2010 9:28 a.m.

note to people in Utah Valley:

please stay where you are at. the food in Salt Lake is very bad. don't even come here to try it. it is so bad it will make you run back to Utah Valley. You have the best food in the world. stay home please. people outside of Utah Valley are evil. do not take risks, please stay home! if you are here, go home.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 6, 2010 9:39 a.m.

What arrogance in some of the comments. A restaurant does not have to be fancy or waitresses bowing at your feet to be a good restaurant. The food makes the restaurant. Some of the best food can be found at a "hole in the wall" restaurant. And if you are above eating at a place with an "Order here" sign or where the waitresses wear "teeshirts" maybe you need to get off your high horse.

• Anothernonymous
    Jan. 6, 2010 9:48 a.m.

Any place where the waitress doesn't wear t-shirt also does not count as fine dining.

• Another Anonymous
    Jan. 6, 2010 10:19 a.m.

Re anonymous 9:39-- Like everything else in Utah, it is about the image and presentation (the superficial things) rather than the actual quality of the food. That is why people are making comments about t-shirts" and "order here" signs. They are just used to looking for superficial things that meet their narrow definitions of fine dining.

• Is it a gimmick?
    Jan. 6, 2010 10:58 a.m.

I hope the Chef is not making the dishes look fancy to justify charging higher prices.

• Pizza 712
    Jan. 6, 2010 11:23 a.m.

I love pizza 712. I eat in Salt Lake and Park City regularly, but 712 is my favorite. Simple, natural, and utterly amazing food! I didn't know about some of these other places. Can't wait to try them.

Thanks for the info!

• Pharmar
    Jan. 6, 2010 11:26 a.m.

Ignorance of others tastes and beliefs... alive and well in Utah!
    I like hole in the wall "diners", mostly because the high horse arses don't come there!

• G
    Jan. 6, 2010 11:30 a.m.

As Jack Handey once declared, "I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!"

Just because it's possible to have a discussion on a website about what classifies a restaurant as "classy" or what tee-shirts mean when worn by a server doesn't mean that it's not a complete and utter waste of time.

• David
    Jan. 6, 2010 1:42 p.m.

We went to Pizza 712 for a work lunch and all ten of us were very, very disappointed with the service there. The food was fine and the atmosphere good, but the hostess and waitress seemed absolutely put off that we were there. Bad experience for us. Our secretary even called back to complain!

• Blue Lemon
    Jan. 6, 2010 2:16 p.m.

The Blue Lemon *****

Very good food and nice quiet atmosphere.

• @Anothernonymous 9:48
    Jan. 6, 2010 2:43 p.m.

omg, you have me laughing til tears are rolling down my cheeks. . .thanks!

• Former SF-er
    Jan. 6, 2010 3:14 p.m.

Just moved here from SF and so wish there was good food. Not really impressed with any of this stuff. Red Iguana is fantastic. That's about it.

• Spark is where it's at
    Jan. 6, 2010 4:19 p.m.

Spark Restaurant Lounge should be on the list. I wouldn't call Blue Lemon or Rooster fine dining.

• Tuffy Parker
    Jan. 6, 2010 4:50 p.m.

I've eaten in fine restaurants all over the country - Seattle, San Francisco, Houston, Minneapolis, Phoenix, NY, etc, - often paying $250 to $350 for 4 people.

One of my favorites is a 500 sq. foot place in a strip mall near Isabella, Puerto Rico owned and run by a couple of amazingly talented chefs who landed there due to their love of surfing. Oh, and BTW, an outstanding 3 course dinner made from fresh, local ingredients will set you back about $15 - $20.

The point is that while white linen, two waiters, a sommelier, etc. certainly adds ambiance, excellent food can be had in many places, for reasonable prices - even Utah Valley. To state otherwise only becomes pedantic drivel.

• EM
    Jan. 6, 2010 5:00 p.m.

Utah you have no idea what fine dining means. Step out of Utah to find out.

• Re: em
    Jan. 7, 2010 7:27 a.m.

i am from out of utah and have lived in oregon, california, maryland, and virginia. (sf, la, and dc) that had to be one of the most arrogant comments i have seen. there are plenty of fine restaurants here in utah. if you weren't so full of yourself you may have tried them. btw, some of the absolute best restaurants you can eat at are the ones we non utah natives call the "hole in the walls".

• JoeBlow to AwesomeRon
    Jan. 7, 2010 9:18 a.m.

you write

"Places to Eat should Not Be Allowed to be Open on Sunday. The Lord meant it to be a Day Of Rest for everyone Not Just you. Such establishments cause people to work on Sunday who should and would otherwise be in Church. Some times the kids go Unchurched because the parent(s) either work on Sunday or the Parent at home is either disinterested or overwhelmed or both."

So Ron, "not allowed"? Are you suggesting Govt pass laws? Not a free market kind of guy are you.

Aren't you wanting to FORCE your religious beliefs on others?

I've often wondered why the Deseret News has a Sunday edition. Is that absolutely necessary?

Anyway, I hope your post is tongue-in-cheek. If not, you scare me.

• Spark
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:58 a.m.

Spark Restaurant Lounge just won Best Overall Restaurant in Utah Valley Magazine and is not even mentioned?

• Liz Rose
    Jan. 7, 2010 11:25 a.m.

I have yet to see anyone comment on the irony of a "High End" restaurant opening when the economy is supposedly soooooooo bad that people are tight with their money when it comes to helping those that really need it. I find it pretty amazing that people in Utah can afford to shop in thier expensive stores and eat at expensive eateries like this one, yet their pockets are filled with lint when it comes to helping those in need. Hmmm, so much for being a religious state. I see nothing but a bunch of hypocrites!

• re: liz rose
    Jan. 7, 2010 11:53 a.m.

some people have money to spend. so since there is a recession and my husband and i are eating out we are hypocrites? your comment doesnt even make sense. did it ever occur to you that the same people that eat out help the employees that work at that restaurant? in addition to that many of us have given HUGE contributions to help others out of work and otherwise in need. how about you? what have YOU done to stimulate the economy and help your fellow man? maybe YOU are the hypocrite.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 8, 2010 6:55 a.m.

Shabu in Park City is fantastic, went there for New Year's Eve. Great atmosphere, unbelievable food (it's "Asian Freestyle" according to the menu). They vegetarian and regular dishes, some sushi, all around great experience, would definitely go again.

• Chef Quint
    Jan. 8, 2010 3:45 p.m.

I say hats off and congratulations to all of you that are promoting eating well. I find that there
    are many people in our world (cooking world)that have had great experinces and training from many different places. When we as chefs decide to share our knowledge, you as the consumer generally benifits. I say good luck to those that are trying to make the food experience better. Keep up the good work and constantly strive to make better food. We chefs, as leaders, should realize that we are here to train those that will eventually pass us.

• Amy J.
    Jan. 28, 2010 4:04 p.m.

I live in LA and ate at communal a few months ago on the recommendation of a good friend. I was not disappointed at all! It was AMAZING! I can't wait to return to Utah and visit Communal!

• Nicole Tracy
    March 10, 2010 9:24 p.m.

I used to work at Blue Lemon and I can assure you the quality and heart put into the food is 100%. I loved it there and I still drop by every now and then for a bite to eat. And as a barista: The coffee is sooo good and it's organic! :)

• Love Blue Lemon
    March 10, 2010 9:59 p.m.

I live out of state and met friends for dinner at the Blue Lemon. LOVED it! So fresh and delicious and what a refreshing change from the predictable! And affordable to boot! I'll return for sure.