Utah Jazz: Team out-of-tune in loss to Hornets

Comments

• What now????
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:04 p.m.

Where do you go from here. Huge salary, Huge expectations, huge let down.

• sparks24
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:06 p.m.

It is time to break this team up!!!!!!!! KOC find some trades!!! 77 million bucks for this are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• gabe
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:08 p.m.

I AM GLAD WE LOST AGAIN !!!! Since KOC cannot be proactive, the only way for KOC to do something is to react to disaster. So, I pray we loose from the Grizzlies too, maybe then, maybe, he'll decide enough is enough and do something.

• BOO!!
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:08 p.m.

...to the Jazz's efforts!

• Another Career Best
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:09 p.m.

Devin Brown does it this time. I would bet that 1/2 of the players in this league have had their career best scoring game against the Jazz! What does that say about your defense Sloan? This is more than pathetic, I just don't know the word to explain it. I do know this though, it's time for a new coach and staff, and I don't mean and seasons end I mean yesterday!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:10 p.m.

Let's all say it together:

BOOOOO!!!!!

KOC, fans are sick of this. Make a move. NO D-LEAGUE trash. REAL players.

• T-ravis
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:14 p.m.

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

• Booooo!
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:14 p.m.

Boooooooo!

• cowboy joe
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:14 p.m.

Maynor is happy now. Went to an up and coming team rather than a heartless one. Major changes are needed but highly unlikely. At least they can put butter on the popcorn likr at the movies. Dry team dry popcorn.

• Time for a change
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:15 p.m.

It's so pathetic that I can sit at home and see that Deron is seriously questioning the heart and managment if this team, and I agree with him... What the heck is going on Jazz???? Jerry, your old and although I appreciate what you've done, you really need to step down. Take an office position if you still want to be involved. KOC you have lost your mind, I am tired of listening to you tell everyone that your building a championship team when all we have on this team are C- players, okay we have one A thats deron, but come on why is it that players we have traded away recently always light us up when they play us? KOC you need to be fired, take some lessons from Oklahoma City, there are putting together a solid team.

Jazz fans we are in for some long years if changes aren't made. Come on Miller step up and ACTUALLY ACT LIKE AN OWNER.

• PurplePeopleEater
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:16 p.m.

Brown? Their top scorer? Did the Jazz players have something else on their minds tonight?

Sloan ought to get equipped! (He once said he's not equipped when confronted with getting into his players' heads.)

Maybe the Jazz ought to get equipped with a motivational coach.

• Past the point of concerned ....
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:17 p.m.

A lot of empty seats a comin'

• cowboy joe
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:19 p.m.

Why did koc sign okur to an extension? Second worst contract in jazz history.

• HAHAHA
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:19 p.m.

The wheels on the bus have fallen off, fallen off, fallen off. The Wheels on the bus have fallen off in Salt Lake City.

Jazz are a safe 9th seed in the West now!!!! hahaha, peace from a Jazz hater!!!

• yuck
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:22 p.m.

I was given lower-bowl tickets to the Denver game February 6th for Christmas. I seriously am likely to give them away as it is a complete waste of time. This is the worst Jazz team I have seen since the early 80's. KOC needs to get some cohesiveness on this team by trading the dead wood. Play the big boys Sloan!

• jazzman72
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:22 p.m.

I've had it. They let another sub 500 team with a horrible road record beat them on their home floor. The ESA is no longer an intimidating environment for other teams. What's your excuse this time Jerry? Your prima donnas have been home for a few days and have been able to get their beauty rest. The team has flat out given up, and until I see some meaningful changes, I do too. I'm tired of wasting my time with this team. Greg, if you want to preserve your father's legacy, step up and save this franchise. I know a lot of fans are losing their patience with this continuity theory. The franchise is regressing, not progressing. PLEASE STOP THE BLEEDING!

• Chris
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:26 p.m.

Wow, as a long suffering Jazz fan, this is rock bottom.

The short term and long solution is a new GM, Boozer and Okur didn't result in a finals appearance, and at the moment Miles, Okur, Korver and Price are a $20 million+ liability. Ak's $16.5 contact should buy a marquee all-star starting player.

The worse part are the number of players who the Jazz could have drafted since 2000 who are contributing for other teams (Humphries and Snyder, really?? Jefferson, J Smith or K Martin would have been nice!!!)

Hopefull Boozer, Korver and Brewer's contracts ($20.3) are used to bring in R Gay (why no sign and trade deal for Mile and or brewer? Grizzlies gave away Gasol and AI blow up in their face, and they can't afford to keep R Gay), D Lee or L Scola, in 2010 and 2011 AK and Price's contracts ($18.5) are used to bring in J Noah and JR Smith.

With the Nuggets, Blazers, T-wolves and Thunder riddled with Lottery picks the future looks more like the Blues than Jazzy.

• Stythe
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:27 p.m.

When's the last time we saw some fight from this bunch. They don't play hard. They think they are, they just don't know what play hard means. I'm talking about this kind of stuff

set a hard screen (stock, horny, harp,Malone)
    cut full speed and with purpose (horny,bell)
    block out to the point of making the other guy throw an elbow (harp)
    get it a shoving match (Malone,harp,bell)
    take a hard foul (Malone,harp)
    dive on the floor (stock , harp, bell)
    run the floor like crazy on a fast break (Malone)
    run to the sideline on a time out (don't mope and walk slowly (Deron))

none of these has Anthony to do with d or shooting...it has to to with attitude and competativeness. Not wanting to
    lose cause it ruins your day. That's what we need more of.

Get rid of players who don't at hard
    ak,memo,miles,brewer,boozer

• D. Meredith
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:29 p.m.

Turn out the lights...The party's over...

For they say, all good things... must come to an

end...

• Fresno Cop
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:32 p.m.

Sloan has lost his hold on the players....They have no interest in playing the game, they dont try, simply put.......Sloan needs to resign, his time is up, IT REALLY IS........During that 3rd quarter when we were missing shots, no timeout was taken by Sloan...You can not let the game get out of control...A timeout should have been called, he shouldve told the players to drive to the basket, and possibly get fouled....But instead jump shot after jump shot was taken...When a team continues to lose, a change up in the line-up is due...Why is Sloan not making any changes in the starting lineup...CJ should be benched, Okur should be benched...As I watch the jazz play, the more i hate Okur's game...he has no shot, no inside game, and we all know he has no defense and turnover prone...If management does not make a roster change, the jazz are doomed...The team needs a spark...If nothing is done, management does not care about bringing a championship to Utah....Again the players have stopped competing....Please Jerry its time yo hang it up...Enjoy your farm....

• Just about done
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:32 p.m.

All the angry posts at least show that fans care. It's not gonna be too long before we just stop caring.

• P Diddy
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:37 p.m.

Last off-season has been a huge mistake by the Jazz. Not just that Boozer and Korver reupped for their contracts but that they extended Memo (what were we thinking extending a big man who can't defend down low?) and resigning Millsap (face it - the Jazz overpaid!!!) If the Jazz would have let Millsap go they wouldn't have had to worry about shedding salary as much and might have been able to swing some better deals. Instead, we get to sign a D-league player!

• Didn't watch
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:37 p.m.

There was more interesting football on. I see they didn't start Matthews again. I would say that obviously isn't working but the bench was just terrible tonight. That 3rd quarter total is ridiculous. Still, there was a groove and a confidence and now it is gone. Why? CJ seemed to be doing better coming off the bench. The pressure on him is too high and he is not handling it well. Am I wrong here?

• BP to "Another Career Best"
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:40 p.m.

You are uninformed to say the least, as are many others on this forum! If you looked at the Statistics this year (i.e Points Allowed), the Jazz are tied for 4th BEST in DEFENSE in the West. Guess who we are tied with??? Dallas and the Champion LAKERS. Last year we finished tied for 10th in the West on the Defensive end and would have been out of the Playoffs if it weren't for our offense (we finished 4th in Offense out of top 8 teams last year).

This year it's the opposite. Again, we are tied for 4th on DEFENSE and barely hanging on to 7th in OFFENSIVE production. The good news is that our offense this year is not as far behind as our defense was last year!!!

Tonight against New Orleans we held the Hornets to 91 pts..LOWER THAN OUR SEASON AVERAGE, WHICH AGAIN IS 4TH BEST IN THE WEST!!!! We only scored 87 points, proving again that this year our Defense has improved while our offense has diminished a ton.

Why has our offense been hurting?
    1) Mental Focus on Defense is throwing offense off

2) Korver is hurt

• Fedor
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:41 p.m.

To Todd...hello my friend, anxious to see what you say about team after tonight pathetic display.

Wow, what more can be said about this sad and sorry excuse for the Utah Jazz. Give me Raul Lopez over D-Will. At least in the 41-41 season Jazz team has the heart.

CJ defenders, go away. CJ incompetence his fault, not Sloan. Okur, 2010 called, feel free to wake up and walk in the door. DWill, sprained hand, sick stomach, lots of excuses. Boozer, maybe the bright spot right now? (makes me sick to say that) Fes and Kuf you are right where you belong. Don't fool yourself Jazz fan....Kuf and Fes are not the answer.

Devin Brown had this game circled on his calendar since Jazz let him go. HA HA. Devin Brown lights up Jazz. Add him to long list on nobody's in NBA who light up Jazz. LHM would be disgusted. I miss his passion.....a passion this team need right now.

I think players afraid to say they hate Sloan. They know Jazz would trade all players before they fired Sloan. I love Jerry, but he has lost team.

• This is the end, Jerry
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:43 p.m.

Jerry said he considered starting Matthews over CJ against N.O., but doubted it would make any difference. He also said he preferred CJ's experience. It's time to face facts, Coach. It's not that CJ is terrible, but the Jazz play so, so much worse.when he is on the floor. The Hornets wereplaying like D League in the first half and we could manage only a 4-point lead???? CJ goes 2-9 through three quarters, including yet another abysmal 3rd where we totally fall apart.

Remember, after an abysmal 3-5 start, Sloan put Matthews in the starting lineup and the Jazz played terrific, going 11-4 and lowering points allowed from 104 to 95 a game. CJ comes back and plays significant minutes and Jazz fall to 2-2. Now, with CJ starting, Jazz are 2-6. Is it any secret anymore???

No more CJ!!!!!

• RECKONING
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:45 p.m.

No heart.

No accountibliity.

Pretty soon, not enough fans ( the jazz need to average at least 19,000 fans to be viable).

The team is selling off players to make payroll.

The coach has lost the team.

The once proud franchise is heading downhill at an increasing rate of speed with no one taking the wheel or applying the brakes.

Larry, would be hard pressed to recognize the franchise he worked so hard to build.

• scodyshootfight (KC)
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:46 p.m.

Dude, the Jazz played tonight? I was so into the Boise State game that I completely lost track. I've been HARDCORE Jazz for the past 17 years, and not once in my lifetime have I been this disinterested. Even when they lost John and Karl, they were fun to watch because they laid it out every night. I would seriously rather watch us lose with Kosta and Big Fess on the floor because they would at least play with heart and hustle. Big ups to Ronnie Price for his killer desire and hustle.

• BP
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:50 p.m.

I can't believe Todd isn't on here yet. I expect that any minute we will see a post from him, and probably something like this:

"I call for the trading of the whole team, the demolishing of Energy Solutions Arena, and once it's down let's storm the Jazz locker and tell Jerry Sloan we don't like him, if he's still alive"

That's how ridiculous these posts are getting. It's mobocracy. You all are jumping on the bandwagon without any clue what you're talking about. Please, where are the Jazz fans who actually understand Basketball???

Devin Brown was not a blown defensive assignment. 3 of his 3's were from 2 ft behind the line, and another he banked in. He just made shots. Again, I'll remind all of you that we still held the Hornets to 91 pts...you Ignorant Mob you.

Todd??? Where are you buddy??? Your Mob is getting out of control.

For the record: I'm not claiming everything is right with our team. Clearly we're out of sync, but you guys are just ridiculous!!!

• David Lee
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:52 p.m.

The Jazz should have signed him last summer instead of Millsap. No comparison between these two.

• cortney
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:55 p.m.

Wow....as a long time loyal Jazz fan it was bad tonight. It is time the Jazz do something to change things up..clearly bringing back 12 players from last season is not working! Please do something!

• Enter Name
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:58 p.m.

I would rather have a root canal than watch these guys play.

• I'm shocked
    Jan. 4, 2010 10:59 p.m.

Do people still watch the Jazz? I had no idea they were still in town.

• Stythe
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:03 p.m.

I DEMAND effort.

I'm a business owner and I can tell when my an empoyee "checks out". This team is full of guys who no longer believe in waht they are doing. The effort..the "play like your life depends on winning" is just not there. Lots of other teams...even teams that aren't that good play really hard. Chicago, okc, Memphis, Denver, dallas, Houston. Houston doesn't have the best players, but they would be a fun team to root for cause they play so hard. That's all I need. I don't need a championship to be a happy fan, just players who care and play hard. These guys are the opposite of that...talented players who don't know what play hard means. Boy do miss harpring....and raja bell. Let's get guys like Kevin love, Lois scola, joakim Noah, shane battier, Josh smith, Gerald Wallace, david lee.

• Stythe
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:11 p.m.

I agree. How can management not understand that they are on the verge of losing the jazz fans. Soon (very very soon) people will decide to do something else rather than watch a team that doesn't care. They are perilously close to losing the fan base, unless a change is made. Even If it doesn't end up resulting in any great increase in wins, at least the fans will feel like maybe there's a chance it will get better, which will result in more interest. Hello...can anyone hear our cries?

• Now Losing at Home
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:17 p.m.

Now we are starting to stink at home.

Someone needs to be held responsible for paying roll players all star salaries.

Even worse New York is starting to win.

• Jazzsmack
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:18 p.m.

ONCE AGAIN!?

sloan coaches another player to career game,

too bad they are ALWAYS on the other team,

by my count this is the FIFTH one this year.

FIRE sloan!

FIRE o'connor!

FIRE scott layden!

and get people who can recognize, get, draft, trade for, and sign real talent,

put together a team that designed to win chamionships and not just barely get winning records so the franchise can sell tickets and t-shirts,

and people (a caoch) who can institute a real system, develop and coach the players, and know how to coach DURING a game.

AND Greg Miller:

MAN UP and actually do something.

• todd to bp
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:20 p.m.

Called back, sitting in the wings. BP you are beyond silly, as is your call for patience" You will have to wait for my next post maybe you can learn some things.

• jazzman72
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:23 p.m.

@BP: Ridiculous? This team 's effort right now IS RIDICULOUS! Larry would give them a piece of his mind if he were here. Come on Greg! Do you have some of your dad's passion? Put some fire under your boys!

• Ridiculous
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:24 p.m.

To BP: Ridiculous? Really? The Jazz go 13-6 and are playing great, and Sloan - for no clear reason - switches the lineup. Since then, the Jazz go 2-6. Ridiculous? I think it's pretty plain. The Jazz had great chemistry and were playing with real heart, and these changes have ruined everything. Nothing else has changed over the past 8 games. This lineup didn't work at the end of last year and it's not working now. Even if CJ made every shot, all he is is a jump-shooter. He doesn't run the offense and he barely plays defense. It's time for a change!

• Barakoboi
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:25 p.m.

Glad Eric Maynor got off a sinking ship!!! OKC just won another game. BTW see when Price came in, the offense just sputtered...opposing team see him as a one dimensional player and can easily shut him down, he's not a threat as a creative/imaginary passing PG like Maynor!!! Expect the Jazz team to continue this trend for the remaining games of the season. Greg Miller is more interested in his Land Cruiser hobby than trying to stop the bleeding and losing fans everyday!!!

• BP to "Didn't Watch"
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:26 p.m.

You are right...CJ should have come off the bench. That's where he was playing when he began playing this season and I think it serves him well. Less pressure. Matthews needs to go back to starting to get the flow back.

But to the rest of you....trade CJ?? Stupid move when he's costing us so little. He just needs to be utilized differently.

Now to Korver. I'll say this now, then rub it in all of your faces when it comes to pass. As soon as Korver is healthy and can handle significant minutes, the Jazz offense will flow again (just like when we got him in the trade). Whether he is hitting or not, his presence at the 3 pt. line frees things up. We need 3 pt shooting, or at least the allusion of it.

In reality I think we need the Allusion of 3 pt shooting more than we actually need the shooting. Tonight we knocked down 7 of 14 and lost...primarily because we were settling for jumpers all game. Korver's presence allows for more room in the paint, and thus higher percentage shots.

Not that difficult to see guys.

• go jazz
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:29 p.m.

go jazz and take the yewts with you!

• They Don't Care, Why Should We?
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:30 p.m.

My 16-year-old son had been a diehard Jazz fan his whole life. He became disillusioned last year because he felt several players quit on the season and gave up. Funny, those same players are the same ones are quitting again this season My son no longer has any interest in the Jazz. We haven't been to a game this year. He doesn't care if they're on TV (we watched the Fiesta Bowl tonight). Heck, I didn't even know they were playing tonight until I was scanning the desnews.com.

It's not the losing. We could live with the losses if the Jazz displayed some effort. The Jazz and their management are turning off their base fans by playing guys who don't care anymore. Why should we? Jerry is no longer the taskmaster that he once was. The Jazz are a mess. If Greg Miller thinks he can sustain the Jazz with this team and coach and still maintain a healthy fan base, he's sadly mistaken.

• O'Conner to Blame for Mess
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:38 p.m.

KOC has to to go. He's responsible for this huge contract mess. His record is spotty at best, despite recent puff piece by DNew's Jody Genessey.

His "do nothin" approach while everyone else in the West locks and loads is unexplainable. Jazz are mess. Start cleaning house with the GM.

• miles starts ...we lose again
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:39 p.m.

great game cj,5-14,5 fouls,and you`re guarding Devin Brown,who goes for 30,yep, great game cj

• Re: Stythe
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:40 p.m.

You may be right about a lack of effort but it sure as heck isn't because Jerry Sloan isn't trying to get them to play with more heart.

The man bleeds "effort" and "hustle" from every pore in his body.

• todd from santa ana part 2
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:45 p.m.

I saw everything I needed to say at the end of the 3rd quarter. DWIL just made that 3 pointer. The fans go nuts. He does not acknowledge his teammates slaps or pats on the back. He does not change expression, acting angry and frustrated.

Sloan tried to talk him dueing a break on the sideline worried if he was ok after getting hit-he did not acknowledge him

Everything, I have seen and the comments lately are clear-there is no more respect between players and coaches. DWIL is fed up with this organization. he is fed up with the direction.

Okur no longer cares.

DWIL< Boozer, Matthews, Price are the only regular players showing any interest or at least if Boozer does not he produces just enough to get a pass. Maybe Milsap. However, he and Boozer got destroyed by David West like I predicted,

That is why you need a Caron Butler.

In trade talks all over the league tonight, again, O Connor not rumored to do ANYTHING. HE WILL LET HIM GO BACK TO THE HEAT OR BULLS.

O connor LADIES AND GENTS WILL DO NOTHING..AGAIN..

You need bigs playing, could literally steal Haywood..

• BP to Stythe
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:52 p.m.

You are kidding yourself when you say that all you want is for them to play hard. You, like the rest of Jazz fans, want a championship and you want it NOW! Ever since we kind-of accidentally and kind-of on purpose went to the Western Conference Finals a few years ago, most of you automatically expected them to go to the same place or better the following year. But you forget that the reason we got to the Western Conference Finals was a combination of good fortune (getting Golden State in 2nd RD) and being under the radar. It was Deron's coming out party that year, and noone quite knew how good he was.

So stop acting like we DESERVE to be better than the top teams in the League. We are still a work in progress and the Jazz will add players or subtract them when they can. They tried to shop Boozer this summer but were unsuccessful. Are you gonna hold it over their heads forever that they signed an up and coming Boozer and Okur several years ago? You were all ECSTATIC when it happened. Fickle Fans!!! And getting rid of DWILL? Cmon Guys!

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:53 p.m.

I do not care BP about those "team stats" it means nothing. If you still get exposed to 3s because of strategy it is wrong. You have to score one more point than the opponent, maybe you did not know this. Offense system that does not work. It panics when players take away Boozer down low. Boozer had to work because New Orleans plays defense. Real defense...Knowing how to switch, cut, fight through picks, r

No timeouts, no lineup changes except Millsap back in for Boozer and AK in a 3rd quarter we were lucky not to be 20 down.

I have not heard as many boos "ever" as tonight. This goes back to the Salt Palace in 1979 as I have listened or watched 90 percent of the home games or more-all time.

Standings: Now New Orleans, Memphis gaining Clippers are next. Memphis with all those young guns Wednesday, if we cannot win this, who handles Gasol and Zack ? BOOZIE AND OKURRIE?

Sure.....

The Wizards "are desperate to trade" maybe all. You could get so many players from them that could make this franchise viable "again"

Between, Butler, Haywood, Mcgee, Nick Young, I could go on

• CJ should....
    Jan. 4, 2010 11:58 p.m.

come off the bench? what for? he`s useless,no defense no rebounds,no assists,just one brick after another.trade the bum

• BP to Jazzman72
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:00 a.m.

If we're not making effort, how do you explain being the 4th best DEFENSIVE team in the West???

I can easily answer the question I'm sure you'll ask me:

Allow me to role play it for you:

JAZZMAN72: OK THEN, HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE LAST 2 LOSSES AT HOME?

BP: EASY, NO OFFENSE.

• BP to "Ridiculous"
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:09 a.m.

I agree, and I already gave my thoughts on CJ, so I'll leave it at that.

I'll just add one thing. Just because Jerry fiddled with the lineup and put CJ back in the Starting lineup isn't grounds for firing him. I don't like everything Jerry does, but I like that he's looking at different lineups. If CJ keeps this up, he will put Matthews back in as Starter. But at some point, he's got to have faith in the players he has.

Part of me wishes he'd play Fez and Koufos. I love their size for defense. But at the same time I can't hold it against Sloan for putting the best all-around players on the floor. It is what he has to work with. Okur's and Booz' +/- are better than Fez' and Koufos'. It especially is justifiable since our Defense has not been the problem this year. Again guys, just look at the numbers.

Don't bother responding with your "ridiculous" comments until you do. I don't care if someone proves me wrong, but you WILL have to prove it.

• todd on devin brown
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:11 a.m.

what explains all the times he was left wide open? and no adjustments. You would think after a couple. The Jazz coaches and many of these same players practiced with D Brown when he was here.

What they are not aware of his capabilities?

That is what I mean about SLoan

Further, were there timeouts in the 3rd? Changes? If you count a little AK and Millsap in for Boozer.

Fedor: I disagree about Fez and Kous they deserve a chance to spark this team and get the fans back somewhat,

This is what happens when you wait "and sit" for something to happen///

• chico @BP
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:16 a.m.

Hey BP,

you missed the point, and did it classlessly. You see you are the one who is uninformed. "Another Career best made the point that guys tend to get career high totals in offense against the Jazz. Several have done it this year.

Lets take a look at who' had their career high against the Jazz just a few from memory

Devin Brown
    Ty Lawson
    Martell Webster
    Micheal Redd
    JJ Redick

• todd to bp
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:17 a.m.

the preceding announcement was paid for by BP, local houseman, employee Utah Jazz National Basketball Association

Friends; Want homer and tuxedos and huck hound?

Come see BP

You will feel warm and fuzzy and feel after meeting the Jazz and SLoan like Bret Hart the best there was the best that will ever be

• Front Office
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:17 a.m.

Ok BP you want real guys who know hoops? I've sat and read these comments forever and never said a word so here goes. I've played all my life, played college used to play with Jazz in off-season when B-russ was here played with Van horn miller and crew up at the U hyper gym, was allstate here and played on a traveling team (and yes us Utah whiteboys won a lot of tourneys) that actually played a lot of guys playing today including boozer who we played several times a year when he played for a team called LA Rockfish when he came down from alaska. Kobe, Garnett, mcgrady, and yes Maggette dunked on me i had no choice but to watch this guy jump outta the gym. I know hoops and know how to play. That said I love everyones comments on here cause we love our jazz. From day one Millsap will never be boozer and we overpaid. Kerilinko cant play d anymore boozer cant go hard to the hoop malone style and there is nothing good to say about Okur. CNT

• Downtown Devin Brown
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:18 a.m.

Whats up fella's. It felt great coming back to Salt Lake City as an NBA starter. Ya'll miss me? I missed ya'll. If lighting the Jazz up for 30 doesn't say that than i don't know else to say, LOL! Career High at that. Be Breezy. And i'm not talking about Drew Brees either, LOL!

• Michael
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:20 a.m.

Just playing around with the NBA trade machine...apparently a straight up trade of Carlos Boozer for Monta Ellis works under the cap. Golden State needs a power forward badly, and the Jazz need a consistent perimeter scorer badly. Besides, the Jazz have Millsap to cover for Boozer at the four spot (where he played much better as a starter last season). It won't happen...but just found it enticing.

• Get Mikki Moore!
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:24 a.m.

The Warriors just waived Mikki Moore today, pick him up KOC! Then we don't have to screw around with our "small line up" when Memo goes out, Moore can back Memo up, and milsap can remain the steady 4 backup. do it! do SOMETHING!

CJ needs to go. The jazz were doing just fine until he came back from his injury and screwed up the rotation. we've been terrible since he's been back. can't fully blame CJ though, sloan is the one making him play all the minutes and not taking him out when he does a crappy job. gotta get rid of them both.

at this point, i dont see ANY player on the team that is untouchable. the only untouchable in my eyes is matthews because he's the only one giving 100% effort every night. granted, they'd sell the team before they traded dwill, but i have a feeling he is a real pain in the butt in the locker room. he's always cussing players out and i dont think its for motivation, i think its just because he's orery.

• BP to Todd
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:26 a.m.

Caron Butler would be a great pickup, but he is 30 years old. Older than anyone currently on our team. Do we really take that risk? Wouldn't do it. He's the kind of player you add when you need that missing piece for a 1-2 year Championship run. We are not there yet. By the time we got to the Finals, he would be washed up and just bleeding the Jazz dry.

Haywood, not sure? He's older than Butler. He's pretty average. Getting 33 minutes and averaging less than 10 pts. Fez could do that, and still get the 10 boards and 2 blocks per game Haywood is averaging. I'd trade Koufos for him though.

David West made mostly tough shots, not bad defense. Again, we held them to 91 pts. The Jazz not scoring more than 91 at home, that's the problem. It's funny noone else is even talking about this, seeing how it's the first time in 3-4 years our offense has really been stymied for a long stretch.

I thought you were going to actually challenge my post with some facts Toddsky ??? Nothing come to mind?

Weird.

• Front Office
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:29 a.m.

Just expect CJ to come in and hit a few shots, brewer is great when back cutting and dishes down low which we need. It's hard to watch the other teams smallest guy go down the middle and nobody rotates over to block or foul the hell out of him like we used to. Remember when Jazz never gave an easy point? Here are my thoughts on what to do. First Okur has to go i loved the its 2010 wake up okur comment and thats exactly right. While this guy hits once ina while on the outside his plus-minus is horrible. How many points he gives up compared to what he's puttin down is embarasing! People he's not LAZY he has always been just slow, horrible footwork and barely get's his feet set to shoot. Okur goes Fez needs to give us inside presents. Just someone whos going to alter shots. Boozer is not the problem. Id like to see Kerilinko go as well. What I would do to get Chris Bosh. If we get a consistent shooter and Inside guy were gonna be ok. Its finally starting to affect D-Will.

• CL
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:31 a.m.

I'm usually pretty conservative, but I don't see this group of players being competative. K OC needs to make some moves. I'd like to see Price play better, but he's just not a point guard & even though he was a scorer in college he hasn't shown he is a good shooter. I have been rooting for CJ for yrs but he is not showing he can suck it up and play with any consistancy. Okur and Booz don't play D.
    Fes and Kk don't get any time, therefore they can't improve.
    OConner needs to blow the team up and make major changes.
    Get some players who are tough and compete.
    I still have hopes that CJ can beome a good player but it probably won't happen with the Jazz.
    His confidence isn't with his ability, it is with the uncertanty he is doing what is best for the team. Shoot the open shot or drive or pass etc. Sloan has him confused and hesitating just enough.
    He does need to toughen up though and play with greater intensity. He can do it I've seen it, but not often enough.

• Big trade tomorrow?
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:32 a.m.

I have a strange feeling something big is gonna happen with the player deadline, possibly a trade. The team looked like they all hated each other tonight. Even when they were playing well in the 1st quarter, they didnt care. you could tell they would end up losing the game. when CJ had that 360 dunk and they showed the non-enthusiastic golf clapping from the bench, you knew something was going on. i think maybe they were told tonight about something involving a trade and they arent happy or something like that? there's obviously something goin on, not one player cracked a smile tonight. and i doubt they're still upset about the maynor trade.

just sayin, i have a feeling tomorrow is gonna shake the team up. i hope i'm right, i just hope its not for the worse (judging by the players demeanor tonight, it might be!)

... and if we miss the playoffs and the knicks make the playoffs, KOC needs to be fired the day after the season ends, PERIOD!

• jazzman72
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:32 a.m.

@BP: The offense fell apart because everyone was forcing bad jumpshots, instead of taking it to the hole. Again, the defense was non-existent down the stretch. It's up to Jerry to get effort from his players. If he can't do it, they need someone else who can.

• Front Office
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:37 a.m.

As i finish up lets talk about sloan... Its hard to blame a coach but at the same time when was the last time you saw Sloan get an intentional Tec to rile up his players or come flying off the bench and get thrown out of a game? What's he got to lose. Show a little fire and maybe your team will too, instead he sits there with this "what the hell am i doing here" look. This is odd im used to the old Jerry and i miss him! Everyone wanted millsap to be answer but you saw it last year when team caught on to his act up jumping in and tangling arms so he could draw fouls they backed off and he declined. We have absolutlely nobody who can drive the middle or draw a foul to get to the line when we are struggling. Boozer and his flip shots are atrocious to watch, actually everyones shots are. What happened to going right up through a guys chest and drawing a foul instead of avoiding it. Last thing all our guys t-rex arms on D. We should have them up in passing lanes.

• the Mailman
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:39 a.m.

i like it!

• todd on defense
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:41 a.m.

tell me you give up 4 ppg less on d playing fes and Kous some, does not that win more games also?

Plus maybe you will get a block and then lead a fast break maybe from a Fes outlet too

That can happen if we average 80 a game

• Stythe
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:42 a.m.

@bp Man you are a condesending sucker. I could give a flying fart about what happene 2 years ago with this bunch. I don't blame Sloan for this mess. I blame koc and Greg miller and the players. You are such an apologist for these dudes it sounds to me like you are a jazz employee. Just be patient? We've seen this same crew for over 2 years! They couldve traded ak 2 years ago for Marion and while Marion would be gone, so would ak. They couldve traded booz for turus, but wanted more...they couldve refused to resign memo... They coudlve done lots of things...to think that they are just being "patient" or are somehow stuck with these players is both stupid and silly. I can stand guys like you...thinking you can tell everyone wha they really think...yes I'd love a championship but would be happy with a team that tried hard...like other jazz teams of the past...including the 41-41 team that I thoroughly enjoyed watching cause they played HARD.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:51 a.m.

@bp
    you really love bunching everyone together into the mystical jazz fan base you call "you". Cut it with the holier than thou crap...I never said to get rid of dwill, I never said anything about "expecting" to be good. All I said was I want players who play hard. Dwill plays hard. I don't think that doing nothing makes a team better, even the celts, lakers, and cavs made some changes this offseason. There is a reason. Change is needed to get better and to avoid becoming stagnant...the jazz are stagnant...just like your brain.

• jazzman72
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:57 a.m.

Yes, Loozer. The fans are going to get on you guys right now because we're tired of your pathetic effort. Crank up your effort a few notches, and we'll cut you some slack.

• IVAN
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:59 a.m.

AK defense is terrible he keeps his arms to his sides he donst even tried to contest a pass this is beyond a joke it is embarrising for me as a former coach that won 2 state championships .this is sad when the high school players are saying how pathics the defense is.If things dont change the miller family will feel the crunch.
    How many times has a gm of one on the dealerships been let go for not performing.
    How many times has a mechanic been held accountable for having a car keep coming back for not being fixed.
    By the article in the paper and talk from players there is a question of leadership from the coach.
    of players confidence.At any level it is you job.
    To help with this.
    If a coach at any level dosnt let players know whats going on by playing head games he will more than likely struggle.
    Greg has some real decisions to make.which i believe is beyond our comphrension.
    But i believe he will make the right choice.
    We dont need the same old tape recorder for post game interview.SHOW US YOUR BRILLANCE COACH.

• Stythe
    Jan. 5, 2010 1:07 a.m.

@bp
    your just not makin sense buddy. You ever play ball? You ever been on a team? Obviosly not. Your random thoughts just make no sense...sorry. Maybe you should apply for a job in the jazz pr dept. You guys can all ride the bus together and tell eachother that management did all it could and it is what it is and stuff like that. Maybe that could be your new slogan..."the Utah jazz - patience is a virtue! Buy season tickets now!" It's imposible to argue with irrational. so I won't try anymore. Jazz stink and need a change to spark some hope, with the players and the fans...that is all.

• Stythe
    Jan. 5, 2010 1:18 a.m.

@bp
    ps jazz are 16th in the league at opp fg% at .459% and 13th in allowing 94 ppg. Not 4th. Stop pulling stats out of the air to support your crazy theories. Imagine how bad the ppg would be if we played up tempo. Yikes.

• Stythe
    Jan. 5, 2010 1:29 a.m.

@bp
    ps jazz are 16th in the league at opp fg% at .459% and 13th in allowing 94 ppg.
    Here's a stat that is actually interesting. Jazz have the least amount of technical fouls in the entire NBA with 11.
    Here's the leaders
    1 Orlando 48
    2 Boston and la tied with 45
    3 Cleveland 38
    4 Phoenix 37

I know techicals don't show how good a team you are, but don't ou agree that they show how much you're fighting to win? Top 5 teams in the league lead in techs? Coincidence?

• Blake Stewart @BP
    Jan. 5, 2010 2:04 a.m.

BP said "Okur's and Booz' +/- are better than Fez' and Koufos'."

Your wrong on that. here is the actual +/- stat from nba.com
    Dwill + 85
    AK +80
    Milsap +69
    Fesenko +58
    Matthews +25
    Okur +8
    Kover +7
    Price +2
    Boozer +2
    Miles -2
    Brewer -7
    Koufos -17

Do the math and research before you start talking out your arse! Even with Koufos, Fesenko has higher +/- than Okur and Boozer. Koufos stat can't really be taken seriously either because of playing time.

• Parkcat
    Jan. 5, 2010 2:15 a.m.

The first revision to the Jazz has to be with Kevin O'Connor. The weight of the AK contract has crippled us. The Player Options he negotiated have boxed us into a corner that leaves us optionless.

Jerry has lost the fire and energy. He is not willing to back up his tough talk with tough decisions. He has never been an innovative strategist and when we had the pieces he has been outcoached by the Phil Jackson's of the NBA world.

The chances of making meaningful roster changes are virtually impossible. There is talk of trading Boozer. There are plenty who will trade longer term contracts for him. The franchise can't afford it.

I would reset the coaching staff with Hornacek. He is the smartest player I have ever watched. Stockton and Malone respected him more than Jerry. I saw him come out of timeouts and alter Jerry's directions with far greater success. I would bet that he could formulate an offense that would better utilize AK's skills since it looks like we are stuck with him another year.

CHANGE IT NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!

• Tune in, Tune out
    Jan. 5, 2010 2:23 a.m.

The Fiesta Bowl was more exciting and admittedly, I am not a NBA fan, especially since the Malone-Stockton era. I kept toggling between channels, more to see if this Jazz team would respond with some heart after all the criticisms (deserved I may add) lately. They didn't.

I agree with Sloan, you can either curl up in a corner or go out and fight. It is odd to watch a Jerry Sloan coached team curl up in a ball and sulk.

I thought D-will and Boozer would be our 2nd coming.

Folks, D-Will has incredible talent and I think gives his all. He shoots better than Stockton did at this junction in his career. He doesn't see the floor as well as Stockton did, but he will soon.

The problem with the Jazz isn't talent, its the lack of effort. And nothing turns Jazz fans away more than watching their hard earned money being wasted on watching effortless talent play ball.

I see Boozer as a bit soft. At least softer than Malone, but then again all we ever heard about was how other teams thought Malone was an elbow waiting to happen.

• Jazz Cop
    Jan. 5, 2010 2:50 a.m.

I'll admit, I liked watching them lose last night. It just wouldn't have been the same if it hadn't been the jeckyl hyde show. Man, this team is torture.
    I send my thanks out to dwill, boozer, miles, okur, not to mention ak, love watching you guys burn, thanks for being a pyre, you guys look good going down in flames.
    As for me, I'm smiling. Its not hard to feel good about watching them burn--to burn or, as a fan, to be burned, that is the question?

It's sad when you find yourself rooting for the other team. I'm ashamed, but, at least, I wasn't surprised when the jazz had eight points in the period.
    ...

Do you think dwill could help his teammates by going back to the ball when they don't have a shot, he just passes the ball and stands there and watches them, there are times when he needs to go back and get the ball back when there is no shot, if a player gets stood up, he should probably go get the ball back, do you think?
    i say pay dwill more.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 5, 2010 4:33 a.m.

its frustrating right now for the Jazz fans, D-Will's bad pass only shows that Paul deserves more to be an all star this feb.

• No Jazz All Star
    Jan. 5, 2010 4:45 a.m.

This team needs some leadershp. D-Will is a likeable guy; but, he's no leader. Walking the ball up the court at home is inexcusable. Okur has weights in his shoes, Price is throwing the ball to the crowd, AK can't make a lay up, and CJ just shoots all the time.

Time for a MAJOR shake -up! Have some guts Gregg. Your dad would have been calling this team out by now!!!

Jazz are lazy and selfish - absolutely embarassing!!!

• cowboy joe
    Jan. 5, 2010 5:47 a.m.

Keep losing we need john wall instead of dwill.

• JT
    Jan. 5, 2010 6:18 a.m.

I hate the Lakers, and the Yankees. But these organizations care about winning championships. The Jazz do not care about winning a championship. This organization is just happy with making sure they break even. Why else would they trade a promising young guard for a ham sandwich? These players outside a couple of them, could care less about you and me and the desire this State has to win a championship. I will not support this anymore. I have better things to do...

• Doug
    Jan. 5, 2010 6:22 a.m.

Many times the Jazz are crushed in the third quarter. Why? Because other coaches use halftime to adjust their game plan--Sloan doesn't. And because other coaches use halftime to motivate their players--Sloan doesn't.

For five years I've been saying that the Jazz can't be successful with Sloan as their coach. Only Miller can change that bleak future.

• Jazz Cop
    Jan. 5, 2010 6:54 a.m.

It is overlooked that fesenko throws good outlet passes which opens up the offense and the jazz get more easy points that way too.
    Price is an unstructured mess at the backup pg, yet he gets played because of energy, of all positions, this is the one position where having an unstructured mess hurts the team more than any other position.
    so, whats sloans excuse for not playing the young centers?
    yes, memo has been trying hard, and he's not terrible when he tries hard, but he's not a longterm solution, and the jazz need that inside presence, so what gives with sloan?
    sloan could be starting ak, playing cj at the backup point, bringing fes or koufus off the bench, these things would've helped the team, now that the team has no edge, these moves would not be good, the jazz need to get their edge back first, before they start playing these guys who are

• Once proud fan
    Jan. 5, 2010 6:55 a.m.

If you remember a few years back the Yankees had the highest payroll in the league and failed to meet expectations. Love him or hate him, George S. took the team and made the necessary changes to bring the team back to greatness. This included spending more money on quality players and getting rid of the non-performers. KOC is far from a Steinbrenner caliber manager and this team needs to rid itself of the non-performers and pay for players and managers that will bring this team back to a level the community expects. Someone needs to make the hard choices to change the players and management with individuals who have the ability to make hard and productive changes. This has not happened to date because management is so afraid of making bad decisions. Just as any business, rewards are not without risks, but we as fans would be sympathetic to bad decisions if at least we saw some effort to improve the team. Thus far we have seen nothing but excuses and gutless performances.

• re:stythe
    Jan. 5, 2010 6:56 a.m.

For the first time in my 22 years of being a Season Ticket holder I was cheering for the other team tonight. I want the Jazz to lose every game the rest of the year. That is the only way that we can wake Miller up and show him we are tired of letting Sloan steal all of our passion for the Jazz. It is so obvious that when the Extension was announced this team just quit. They are done listening to the crap from sloan. His last couple of post game interviews are classic. He has noone else to blame and he just doesn't know what to say. We will have a lottery pick our own next year and the knicks will be playing in the playoffs happy it won't be losing a very good pick. Fire sloan, KOC and trade Boozer and the team will change. Oh and quit backing sloan, he has done nothing to deserve it.

• B-Bye B-Boozer
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:04 a.m.

@Micheal: I like Monte Ellis, but you never trade a big guy for a little guy (especially when the big is considered an all-star, and the little guy is not).

Also, to all of you CJ lovers: it's time for CJ to return to the bench. The Jazz were playing better with a rookie in the starting lineup. I have been a big CJ supporter over the years, having bought into his athleticism, height, length, shooting stroke, and oh yes, his POTENTIAL. I still believe that he is eventually going to become a very good NBA player, but from the looks of things, it won't be this year.

I also think that it is time to return to the mentality of "it's time to start shopping Boozer." His trade value should be pretty high right now, and since he will probably be on his way out at the end of the season anyways, trade him.

As a side note, Okur has always played better when Boozer was out. Since the Jazz are now on the line with Okur for another two years, maybe they ought to try to get something out of their "investment." Lol.

• Jazz Cop
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:08 a.m.

Rotation issues and solutions: ak should be starting, cj is the best option at backu pg, millsap is not a backup center, he backs up boozer, so play one of the young centers.

but who cares, the team stinks, hopefully they just make a trade, sloan can't figure out the roster, he's had three years to figure it out and he hasn't been able to. he hasn't been able to motivate the team in a consistent way.

is it the players or coach, it's just alot easier to get another coach, wait, sloan was extended for no good reason. ok, lets get new players, wait, the #1 player who should not have been resigned was extended, insuring that mr. alligator arms will be patrolling the middle and jacking up 3's, and mostly watching guys drive on him from behind, and they got all this without even getting someone who will play hard every game?
    just an example of a very obvious bad choice in the front office.

who cares, its' fun to criticize this team, they stink, sloan stinks, managment stinks.

THe jazz deserve to be where they are, no pity.

• To BP:
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:20 a.m.

I agree with you entirely. Those who post here are more fickle and over-reactive than I've seen anywhere else, period. Keep trying to bring some sense to this forum. It seems impossible, but, I have no expertise in this area. Just wanted to encourage you, since you DO seem to know what you are talking about.

• Lonster
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:21 a.m.

The Jazz are over for me and have been for a few years now; this latest futility only cements my decision to avoid the time and expense of going to see them in person, or even waste time watching on TV. Maybe it's my age, but I now look back with fondness on the Frank Layden-coached teams that put up a fight every game, although they lost more than they won --- I just was more entertained by Eaton, Dantley, Bailey, Hansen, Green, et. al., than I am by these latest groups.

I agree with those who say that as long as the Jazz keep doing what they've done for years, both coaching and playing, the results are either going to be pretty much the same or, as we're seeing, worse.

• Jazz are a Joke
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:42 a.m.

I pay 550.00 per seat to see this Crap on the Court, The Jazz should refund our monies for putting such a bad product on the the floor. They have raised my ticket price 200.00 per ticket the last 3 years and this is what the end result it. Even in a recession my Tix went up 10 percent last year. The Jazz and their Management are a Joke and I will sell all my Tickets as this team disgusts me with their baby attitude. Lose out Jazz and get 2 top ten draft picks in June and start rebuilding that way and send Old Jerry to the pasture as his time has seriously gone by.

• Hugh G. Hater
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:43 a.m.

Usually disasters like this, imho, are caused by a perfect storm of events:

1. Bigs who don't produce- AK, Boozer, Millsap, Memo (memo, where has he been?).

2. Injuries- Dwill, CJ, Korver (memo?).

3. Inability to play your system.

Unfortuantely only one of the above 3 will probably change. KOC, Sloan, et. al. are going nowhere. Did nobody see LHM's last interview?? Sloan is in control indefinitely.

Blowing up this team for new players or draft picks won't change a thing as we will still have the Sloan system.

Man up and do something Greg.

• Frustrated Fan
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:44 a.m.

Hey to say it but it looks like there is no manangement. Jazz have the talent and have shown that they can beat the best. Good teams make big time deals i.e. Lakers Pau Gasol, Celtics K.G. Too bad KOC does not have the guts to pull something like that. Maybe he is the issue. Come on Jazz ORGANIZATION! Figure it out.

• So after last nights game....
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:46 a.m.

I am not wasting another penny of my money to watch this pathetic team. Im out

• Anon 2
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:49 a.m.

Since KOC came to this team it has started to go down hill. Mr. Miller, you need to look at the management of the team, the players that you are getting and the direction you are going. Paying that much money for nothing is shocking to say the least. You are ripping off the fan who pays so much and is now getting so little.

The Team needs some direction and it should be up and not Down. A shake up is in order.

• Loyal Fan
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:51 a.m.

I honestly just felt like crying last night. What has happened to this franchise? If I was Greg Miller I would take away all of Sloan's rights to call a time out and give them to my 4 year old son. My son knows just by my reactions when to call a time out!! Sloan needs to ditch his old ways. They just don't work anymore. This team is not mature enough yet to WORK through their problems out there. For the love of everything holy, I know nothing is going to change but PLEASE, PLEASE take away Sloans ability to call time outs and give it to someone that knows how to do it.

• Not Watching Anymore
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:55 a.m.

Learn how to call a time out Sloan. Sloan learns how to call a time out = 5 more wins a year...EASY.

• Luis/LA
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:02 a.m.

I watch a few Jazz games and it drives me nuts when Bolerjack keeps calling Okur "money"....Especially when he makes one of every ten three pointers He looks like a clown with over-sized shoes when he tries to drive and then they take the ball awway from him..LOL.....So his new name is "El Clown" and Boozer is "Matador" he just waves at players as they drive right by him.Question>>> Does Jerry,KOC and Greg not watch the same game as the Jazz fans and see that those two play no defense...

• Big Jazz fan
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:06 a.m.

Blow this team up! Trade AK, get Boozer out of here, Keep Williams but trade everyone else. You think Williams will re-sign with this team if they keep playing like this?

These guys have been together for a while now, and instead of getting better they are circling the drain.

• MADRYBEG
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:12 a.m.

Is it me or does it seem like the downward spiral began shortly after Miles was inserted into the lineup? Sloan has a man out there who only looks for his own shot (ok-more than one, but Miles is certainly one that fits that bill, too) and passive on defense.

• Miles
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:14 a.m.

Once again it`s Sloans fau;t,CJ didn`t get enough minutes or shots to get going he needs 25-30 shots per game and at least 30 minutes,as for rebounding that`s for the bigs,assists are for the PG,CJ`s job is to shoot

• jumpinjax to BP
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:23 a.m.

are u nuts? You honestly think that Korver will make everything ok?wow what an optimistic outlook to think that a career 10pt. a night guy will fix everything!!! I wish i believed that.

• louisiana jazz man
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:27 a.m.

its the new off yhey are running. everybody griped me included about the same old pick and roll now its all about jump shots its fine if you make them but they are not. hard to belive everybody couldnt make a shot. at least 3 game everybody turning the ball over and missing shots. william disagreeing with the coach in the media not good. cj dont matter about the same with or with out no one had a good game

• waste of time
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:30 a.m.

I had tickets to last nights game. i havent been to a game all year up to this point, and yet I had no interest what-so-ever in going. I gave the tickets away in the middle of the day. Turns out to be a great decision.

I used to be so passionate about the Jazz and even entertained the idea of buying season tix this year with a friend.. Now I cant even watch a full game. home games are littered with "boos", the team has no heart anymore. its really, really sad.

Make a move KOC, or there will be a LOT of empty seats at ESA... Couldnt be more frustrated with this franchise right now....

• Miles
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:36 a.m.

Last nights shooting percentages per player:

Millsap: 27%
    Okur: 27%
    Price: 0%
    Korver: 0%
    Matthews 20%
    CJ: 36%

CJ was 43% from 3 land.

Now let's get to the real problem:

11 point 3rd quarter. Every game we have lost during this stretch we have been outscored in the 3rd and have outscored the opponent in the 1st. So to start the game (the starters) have done their job. Then at half-time, the other team adjusts and Jerry continues to do the same thing. In the 3rd quarter the wheels come off the bus. Between the end of the 2nd quarter and the start of the 3rd quarter someone is not doing their job!! Take the 3rd quarter out of the games and we are 28 - 2.

• Monty Montana
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:41 a.m.

Another headline night at ENERGYLESS/NO SOLOUTION ARENA.

• Who's B.P.?
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:44 a.m.

He sounds like Sloan.

• The Answer
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:52 a.m.

we were doing good with Matthews starting,Sloan yanked him for no reason put in Miles,that my friends is when it all went bad,start Matthews and AK at the 3 and we turn it around

• Nevada fan
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:04 a.m.

4 things are obvious!
    #1 Greg Miller does not have the passion that his dad did for this team. If he did there would be a statement for the teams play ,and hopefully changes.
    #2 This team has quit playing for Sloan.
    #3 Sloan has not, and is not doing his job at the team's practices.
    #4 Management does not care about winning a championship or they have put too much faith in Sloan's decisions.

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:08 a.m.

Greg will be hearing from me and I will "cover the majority of us this weekend"

Far as BP-ignore him...Rhetoric and "sloanaholic"

I hate to admit this but to "Jazz Cop"

I too turned on the Jazz last night and started rooting for New Orleans so SLoan and his "worthless Sloanaholics" would suffer again, because New Orleans wanted the game more and I did not want the "holics" coming on-"told you so"

Well guess what, GO GRIZZLIES

Sad is it not? WHy you ask? Pressure, Pressure, Pressure and hope SLoan feels the effects, with stubborn people it takes pain and suffering and tough love to "sink in"

That is:

Jerry please go, you are tarnishing your great legacy more by the day..Please Jerry-walk....

• Re miles
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:13 a.m.

Kinda of a selective memory miles? Williams,Boozer and AK all shot 50% or better,did you miss them? cj 5-14,with 5 fouls,shoot,shoot,shoot and shoot some more....and miss a lot more than you make,no rebounding,no assists,no defense,just shoot...and shoot some more

• wcb
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:17 a.m.

It is time to get players and coaches that want to win, not just say they want to win. Big difference. How many times have we heard this team has great talent--talent but no guts, no heart and a coach that has proven time and again that he cannot motivate his players.

• J in NY
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:17 a.m.

@Miles: Man, I am glad you're not the coach. Give CJ 25-30 shots a night? That's LUDICROUS. I'm pretty sure that every other team in the western conference would love for the Jazz to do that (outside of the T-wolves and Warriors, because the Jazz would challenge them for the top spot in the lottery). Rebounding is not just for bigs. MJ did it. Lebron does it. Wade does it. Kobe does it. The best wings rebound. They pass the ball too. Oh hey, and here's another thing that they do, they play DEFENSE (also unlike CJ).

The coaching staff needs to insert Wesley Mathews back into the starting line-up, and relegate CJ to the 15 minute/night role that he has earned. Then once Korver is completely healthy, CJ can go back to keeping the bench warm full-time for the guys who play a more complete game.

• re: Todd
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:18 a.m.

yes, the Jazz were aware of Brown's capabilities. He just played way over those capabilities last night.

• plyxply
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:25 a.m.

It looks like the Jazz are beginning to panic that the Knicks may make the playoffs and want to assure themselves of a first round draft pick.
    CJ Miles is horrible, worst mistake on the team, no heart, no guts, and a mental weakling.

• Miles
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:27 a.m.

Ummmm the Jazz had 6 steals last night and CJ had two of them. Yea no defense by the rest of the team. I didn't miss the fact that Williams, Boozer and AK shot well, the point was, most of the team was horrible offensively. Especially Memo and Millsap 6 -22. And I am sure the Memo played no defense last night and Millsap got eaten up by the bigs as usual.

So if you want to point fingers at the problem, point them where they belong Houdini.

• blauch
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:30 a.m.

Three things to improve the Jazz

Start Williams, Matthews, Kirilenko, Millsap, and Fes.

Set Picks for AK

Trade Boozer

THE END

• A Positive Note
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:31 a.m.

Just to add a positive note among all the negative!
    I got my money's worth last night just watching the shooting before the game! Korver drilled shot after shot from the 3 point line. It was a beautiful sight to behold. Glad to see him back in uniform. Hopefully he will be able to play more minutes and get out on that 3 point line to open up the inside shots. Without him to spread the floor it's mighty tough to get inside. We miss Korver's instincts and level head.

• fossil
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:36 a.m.

look at the bright side, we will trade the nicks draft pice and our lottery draft pick and get derrick favors who will lead us to the promised land and a ring. great. root for a loseing season as we need a good draft pick for a future superstar and the lakers would beat us in the firs round anyway since the judas goat fisher cheated and left us. glad to have a major team here also.

• Re: Who is B.P.?
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:38 a.m.

He's either Korvers little bro., or Sloans wife. Other than Sloan, who else is pleased with Boozer and Okur.

• Miles
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:38 a.m.

@J in NY: You might want to pose your question to Houdini (comma man). He is the one that made the post of 30 shots a night. I am sure he has an excellent theory as to why CJ should take that many shots a night.

On the other hand, Matthews is playing for the Jazz. Just because he does not start doesn't mean that he can't have an impact while in the game. Starting him is not going to change to dynamics of this team. Getting rid of Memo and Brewer would be a better option.

• Gut Feeling
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:39 a.m.

Maybe we're all on the wrong trac here! It seems like the team was getting along just fine here until Matthews came. The team had spirit and cheered each other on! Is he the thorn in everyone's side? Just can't see what all the fuss over Matthew's is. He does play hard I'll give him that, but he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off most of the time. He doesn't get guarded like the other players do so he gets easy baskets. Playing hard is not the answer to the Jazz woes! Get rid of Matthews and the team will pull together. I just have a gut feeling it all started with Matthews!

• Thanks J in NY @ 9:17
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:50 a.m.

Your spot on! C.J. and 25-30 shots a night? Is that C.J. punk nuts? I am soooooooo tired of his comments on this web I can't stand it! I sure would like to meet this punk face to face. I'll bet he has a grin on his face just like his hero. There isn't 1 player in the NBA that gets 25 to 30 shots a night. What a laugh this whatever you want to call him is.

• I wonder....
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:50 a.m.

if miles had a "must start " clause in his contract,that`s the only thing I can figure...the dude is worthless...and clueless

• fossil
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:52 a.m.

maybe we can bring back lopez our first round pick when we missed parker and i said don't you regret not picking parker and he said its non of your business. i thought fans is their business.

• I Just Read Sloan's
    Jan. 5, 2010 10:06 a.m.

explanation of the loss. He sited missed shots at the rim.

Well there is a reason why very talented players are shooting less than 40%.

The Sloan inside offense is dorked up.

Any team with decent interior defense can stop Sloan's offense for a quarter and that loses the game for the Jazz.

How many times did I see Boozer/Millsap attempting and making circus shots inside against 2 or 3 defenders.

Why do you think there are so many inside TOs.

The losses are not going to change until Sloan finds a way to adjust the offense. It is simply not working and the players can not implement it against a decent defense.

Boozer and Millsap are a little short but the problem is the breakdown of the offense.

Get used to it. The Jerry Sloan offense is history in its current form.

• Deron Stinks!!!
    Jan. 5, 2010 10:32 a.m.

I don't care what his stats say--DERON IS TO BLAME!!

I have been complaining about his TURNOVERS for weeks and here it is in his own words from the ESPN story today.

"He made a great anticipation," Williams said of Paul. "I should have thrown it up to Andrei high. He's a lot taller than Chris. It was a bad pass by me."

This guy is a TURNOVER MACHINE and it is always at the worst possible time.

Quit blaming all these other players--none of them think they are allstars.

Deron mistakenly does for some reason.

DERON was walking the ball up the court all night long.

EVERY JAZZ FAN KNOWS WE WIN WHEN WE RUN AT HOME.

EARLY OFFENSE AND FAST BREAK BASKETBALL WINS AND GETS THE CROWD GOING!!

Evidently that fact has escaped Derons brain. He thought we could "look past" another team and win again without trying. Just like Denver, Oklahoma, Miami, Minnesota, and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

This guy is no leader!

Tell me which of the players around him is he making better?

ZIP!!!

ZERO LEADERSHIP!!

• The Jazz have nothing to
    Jan. 5, 2010 10:34 a.m.

lose by replacing Sloan. If Miller will not fire him the fan base will fire him by walking.

Miller is losing money on his car empire. The Jazz were one of his main advertising/PR elements. Now the Jazz are becoming a negative for the whole empire. If he pulls the plug on the Jazz the fallout is very negative for all of his business interests.

Miller needs the Jazz to win and be a positive for the rest of the empire.

In the long run he has no choice but to get rid of Sloan and then rebuild. This franchise has hit crisis. It no longer works as a business model because it now losing at home with Sloan's dated and flawed approaches.

The Jazz can't trade Boozer. He is the only part of the offense that kind of works. He is the only one who can create his own shot.

If the Jazz can get a wing who can shoot they might save the season (7/8th seed).

If DWill goes down this team is history.

So many years of bad draft picks and bad decisions are killing this team.

The Sloan offense is ruined.

• B.R.
    Jan. 5, 2010 10:36 a.m.

12 - 20 minutes of Fes would have allowed the perimeter defenders to focus on and guard the perimeter.

Last night the offense stalled even worse when D Will was out of the game. Whats the Jazz's record since the Maynor trade? Maynor ran the offense as good as D Will and is only a rookie. The Maynor deal might have been the last nail in the current Jazz coffin.

Devin Brown after nailing one of his threes strolled proudly past the Jazz bench and ajusted his head band.

• PurplePeopleEater
    Jan. 5, 2010 10:43 a.m.

The loss column is the only one to pay attention to, because that's the only stat that you can't make better---you can always add to the win column. Losses just pile up.

The Jazz, as bad as they're playing right now, are only 3 losses out of tying for first place in their division. And it's early in the season. Plenty of time to recover.

In fact, the only divisions that have clear leaders are the Western Conference's Pacific (Lakers with 6 losses), the Eastern Conference's Atlantic (Boston with 8 losses), Central (Cleveland with 9 losses), and Southeast (Orlando with 9 losses, but only 3 losses ahead of Atlanta).

Both the Northwest (Jazz) and Southwest (Dallas/San Antonio) divisions of the Western Conference are up for grabs by at least 4 of their 5 teams. Tight races in the West!

If the Jazz don't get out of their funk, they'll miss the playoffs this year, and won't need New York to do poorly to get a high first round draft pick.

Against Memphis (the next two games!), we'll see what these guys are made of.

• jazz fan
    Jan. 5, 2010 10:52 a.m.

Everything you see isnt what it looks to be. Sloan plays alot of mind games with these players. He is not a good coach to me. Does not know what he is doing. Cna't keep yanking players in and out. Time for a new coaching method in Utah. I believe this will make a difference in this team. Don't think Sloan has a clue. The players are not going to tell you everything they know. Can only say certain things, give hints. You don't see or here all that they do, but I beleive its time for new coach, new plays. You have a team full of atheletics guys like this and can't win. Players have to adjust to coaches but I think in this situation coach needs to adjust to players.This system is not good for every player in it. Sometimes it makes the players look bad.CJ, Milsap,Brewer, and some others need to be in a different system. Deron and Boozer probably to but it doesn't show as much on them because they have the ball more than any others.

• The Truth
    Jan. 5, 2010 11:00 a.m.

I am laughing at all of the posts on this site. I didn't watch the game. In fact I changed my programing package with DISH. The jazz aren't getting a dime from me until this mess is cleaned up. Why would any fan of basketball want to watch the Jazz? they have no toughness, no heart and they can't shoot plain and simple! Oh they can't play D either. Coaching, please...I will observe from afar waiting for the trading deadline.

Sometimes you can have an addition by subtraction. Look at Denver, when Camby left, I'm sure fans weren't to pleased. Denver is just fine now. If management gets rid of Booz or Memo maybe Koufos or Fess will fill the gap. I'm a big Memo fan, but he has been terrible this year! although I thought he has played better at times when Booz wasn't in the game. I'd start with Booz, get him out of here! then go with a motion offense instead of forcing the ball inside to Booz every game. A little less predictability may help don't you think?

• Fivealarm
    Jan. 5, 2010 11:23 a.m.

We're all calling for Jerry's head right? Well who else is out there that will coach this team?

• J in NY
    Jan. 5, 2010 11:25 a.m.

@Miles: Maybe you're right. Maybe starting Mathews wouldn't change the dynamic of the team. Oh wait, starting Mathews DID change the dynamic of the team. I don't remember exactly what their record was with him in the starting lineup, but I'm pretty sure that it was something like 13-6. What is their record with Mathews on the bench? If my math is correct: 5-10. Ouch. That seems pretty convincing to me.

Starting CJ obviously changed the dynamic of the team. So why not revert back to what was working before?

The argument can also be made that the loss of Maynor has had a huge impact on their current slide. I would agree. As much as I like Price, he is not a point guard. Let's just hope that Jazz management brings in someone who will take away Price's minutes at the point, so he can go back to being used as a small 2 guard.

• CL
    Jan. 5, 2010 11:25 a.m.

Sloan's style is old school and fundamentaly sound, BUT we need a change. We need a coach that will utilize the 3 pt shot in his offense. We also need Sloan to put Fes in and let him develope. We need a defensive presence in the middle.
    With the conservative approach the front office has alway taken, I'm sure there won't be much movement any time soon.
    Nobody but the fans pay any attention to these posts but at least it is a way to vent.
    Booz is good but too small & to slow to make a difference on offense or defense if the bigs for the other team have any height or length to them. With Okur slow, no hops, etc no D. The other teams guards drive the middle on the Jazz all the time and Booz and Okur just let it happen.
    Why won't Sloan play Fes, he has shown that he can make a difference. Playing time will only help Fes improve. What have we to lose?

• The Sloan Loyalists
    Jan. 5, 2010 11:26 a.m.

may accept Hornacek as a replacement if it is handled well. However, Hornacek would have to know how to modify the offense so that it works again.

It is better to change coaches than to start trading good players and contracts for worse players and bad contracts in an attempt to save Sloan.

If a major trade is made things will not get better. It will take time for the new players to learn the offense and Sloan can use that as an excuse for why his broken offense is not working.

Major trades mask the real problem. The Sloan offense is getting beat by defensive adjustments and he has not make counter adjustments. Further, he may have designed so many weaknesses into this team that he can't counter.

The Jazz need to make trades. They should make a statement that they will be rebuilding for the next 2 years and will only make trades when they can improve the team. In the mean time they need outside shooting and a real back up PG.

The Maynor salary dump has back fired at this point.

It is fixable if they get shooting and CJ/Brewer can play PG.

• Miles
    Jan. 5, 2010 11:42 a.m.

Give up the Hornacek for coach.

First, Name a coach in the NBA, who has had success without ever being a head coach before taking the job?

Second, Hornacek isn't even an assistant coach.

Third, We need an x and o's guy to coach this team. Not some guy who teaches shooting.

Fourth, Jerry's time has past him.

• Aggie3
    Jan. 5, 2010 11:56 a.m.

I am sick of watching this team. I pay an additional five dollars a month to Dish to watch them. I am mad that I made the decision to pay the extra money. This team is most certianly not worth my five dollars a month. Embarrassing!

• okakfan
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:17 p.m.

Devin Williams has been misled if he believes he is an all-star. While he has some incredible nights he has many more bad ones. He flat out refuses to pass the ball to wide open players. He walks the ball up the court. But, the absolute worse thing is the misuse of the pick and roll. A screen only works if you drive your man into it. I really think he would be more use to the Jazz as a 2 since he has great ability to score. Unless Okur is scoring he needs to sit. If nothing else, The 2 big young men could use all their fouls stopping drives. Sloan's offense will work if it is ran correctly. There seems to be no fire in Sloan at all. The old Sloan would not be afraid to bench those not hustling. It really hurts watching this team.

• Sloan/KOC/Miller
    Jan. 5, 2010 1:00 p.m.

view the current losing streak as a minor pothole in a long journey. However, what they are ignoring is that things have been getting worse for years and the same loser patterns have been there for years (even decades) and that the fans are becoming aware that this is not just a minor pothole but a continuation of problems that have always existed ever since Sloan has been coach.

One or more players will be shuffled. The Jazz will get a little better or worse. But the trade will camo the real problems.

The real problems are mistakes by the FO and Sloan's coaching style. His inability to adjust and his flawed approach to the game which has become obsolete and dysfunctional.

The Jazz are no better at the inside game than their opponents (many of those run an outside game). Look at the 82games team data on type of shots taken by the Jazz so far this year.

There is no Sloan inside offense. The Jazz are average at the inside. They have lost their identity.

The players get blamed. But the problems are with Sloan's design.

Hornecek or Stockton can run the team better.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 5, 2010 1:04 p.m.

I dont agree with the whole comment on wizards having alot of people to trade with. Thier are only two people i would take, 1 bulter. Caron butler is very versital and a great scorer/defender. The second i would take is Antwane Jameson, who is also a great scorer/rebounder/defender. Other those two players no one else is worth it period.

• JAZZFAN
    Jan. 5, 2010 1:52 p.m.

I think Deron is an allstar but playing in a small market area can make a difference. Memo has not been goo at all this year and this team needs a change. The Coaches can cover all they want about the confidence thing but they can take it way easly. Fess and Koufus have no confidence because of them. They get so nervous when they are on the court trying so hard not to mess up and it makes it worse. I'm telling you these coaches have go to have more patience with this young guys. Why do you have them here if your not going to use them. Could understand if you actually had a big in front of them. I blame the coaching staff first because they have no clue and then the players. I think some of the players are frigid and timid because of Sloan and can't relaxes because of him.

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 5, 2010 1:53 p.m.

anonymous 104 pm--wrong wrong/// Jamison is 33 too old. Sorry. Mcgee if given time can be a great player. I watched Nick Young at USC he is fearless and dynamic, he is inconsistent, no worse than the current roster. Nick is way better than Brewer he needs experience/

• BP (Reply to ALL)
    Jan. 5, 2010 1:56 p.m.

WHERE TO BEGIN? Glad to see my comments sparked some discussion about actual production and relevant information.

@ STYTHE: If you knew how to read, you would see that I said Jazz are 4th best in the WEST, not the League. I never mentioned FG % because it is not as relevant as Points Allowed...ask anyone (especially the Stat Geek David James). Either way it doesn't disprove my point. Technical Fouls is a Stupid statistic any way you look at it, but if that's the best you got that tells me all I need to know.

@ BLAKE STEWART: You are right, that's because I was looking at the wrong stat. The Stat I meant to quote was EFF, which shows the total EFFICIENCY of a player. Here's the Breakdown:

Boozer + 24.29
    Okur + 13.67
    Fez + 3.95
    Koufos + 1.94

Thanks for the colorful post though!

@ ANONYMOUS: No need to get so worked up. I was talking to everyone when I mentioned DWill, since a number of moronic people think we should get rid of him.

@ TODD: As so many have said, your posts are Incoherent with no attempt to back up anything with fact.

• BP to Fairweather Fans
    Jan. 5, 2010 2:14 p.m.

For the record: I have played as much basketball in my life as anyone on this blog, and at a high level, not that that qualifies me...but some of you think that is the ultimate qualifier. The only person who can claim to know more about actually "playing" the game is FRONT OFFICE/CNT who has played with NBA Players. The rest of you need to shut it.

Having studied Statistics extensively, I can't help but assume that the Bulk of you are not truly a "Representative Sample" of the Jazz population. This blog is inherently biased because generally the only people who post on here are the Whiners and the Complainers. It would be much more engaging to take a true sample and cross section of the Jazz fan base and see where the chips fall.

What I find funny is that so many of you say "that's it, I'm done watching" and yet you appear on these blogs every time I'm here saying the same thing. You are also the fans that probably used to get mad at fairweather fans who only wanted to watch when the Jazz won. Ironic isn't it?

• Anonymous
    Jan. 5, 2010 2:47 p.m.

What was the point of getting rid of Maynor??!!??!

• BP on Jazz offense
    Jan. 5, 2010 2:57 p.m.

Many of you have said our Offense stinks. YOU ARE RIGHT ON. But the reason it stinks is really what everyone seems to be arguing about. Below are the reasons you have given:

--Starting CJ vs. Matthews

--The NBA teams have now (miraculously I might add) after 20 years caught on to Sloan's system and rendered it ineffective.

--Jerry doesn't know his team, doesn't adapt, subsitute, or do anything well

--DWill is not a true leader, not an All-Star

--No Korver to free up the middle (that one is mine)

--Pick and roll doesn't work, Booz is soft, Memo is too slow

I think some of these reasons tell SOME of the story. The question is why are we struggling RIGHT NOW?, with mostly the same team that we took to the Western Conference Finals a few years back.

The lack of Derek Fisher is something none of us talk about. But he was much of the reason we went to the Conference Finals. His calm leadership was huge. But I'm not going down the road of suggesting Deron is not a leader. He is a leader, just needs time, just like Kobe needed.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 5, 2010 3:06 p.m.

Jazz are way too soft they need to get rid of memo/boozer for some big guys who will make the opp fear the paint

• BP cont.
    Jan. 5, 2010 3:09 p.m.

IN SUM: To give one definitive answer as to the Jazz offensive struggles is impossible. All I know is last year they were in the top 3-4 best Offenses in the West, and we didn't change anything.

That leads me to believe that it will come back with hard work and patience. But rather than patience (since some of you hate that word), I will use the word COMPOSURE (i.e. Lack of Panic)!!

Unless any of you can directly influence Jazz management, like TODD ROD hilariously thinks he can do, you have no choice but to also have patience (composure) or else stop being fans. Many of you clearly are not even real fans, just mad you don't have a championship to attach to your pseudo-fanhood. So to those, I say I don't care if you stop watching, we don't need you.

To clariy, I am really only referring to about half of the people on this blog. Many of you, though I may not agree with you, I can tell you really are fans. Your constructive criticism of the Jazz is welcome. Todd, you've past the point of no return.

• Hugh G. Hater
    Jan. 5, 2010 3:21 p.m.

BP: no one is listening to you. Go away. Personally attacking other posters won't win you any arguments.

• BP to Chico
    Jan. 5, 2010 3:22 p.m.

I never replied to Chico, so I'll do that now.

Chico, unless you compare the Jazz to other teams, your argument is just a complaint. Show me that other teams don't also get burned just as much for big scoring nights, then I'll shut up. Until then... your point is incomplete and tenuous at best. Way to get in the game though.

With this lack of "info"rmation, I think you are the one who is classlessly un"info"rmed. Get it? Good.

• Miles
    Jan. 5, 2010 3:28 p.m.

@BP:

That's crazy stuff. Starting Matthews over CJ is going to help the offense? I can't stop laughing as you said last week all CJ can do is shoot and doesn't play any defense.

I agree that this team has no leadership. Jerry builds it that way. Dwill can not lead a team that he has no control over. Plus Dwill and Boozer are not leaders but followers. That's what Jerry wants.

• @ B.P.
    Jan. 5, 2010 4:01 p.m.

Todd at least knows something about basketball even though he rants somewhat. You just rant. I've never seen anyone type so much and say so little. Did you even make the bantum basketball team. He He He.

• todd to bp
    Jan. 5, 2010 4:31 p.m.

the new messiah of basketball, the guru...Dream on. I rant guess what I back it up. I also give my full name and email. I do not hide for someone like you that wants to come on all the sudden and act like Mr Jazz spokesman/ I have been tough but fair. You should read all my work. The praise when SLoan went to the Hall/ My posts of Larry and Hot Rod Memories, SLoan losing loved ones. BP you want to challenge me in knowledge and what is right, bring it on I beg you.....

• Lets play Fes and Koufos
    Jan. 5, 2010 4:53 p.m.

The jazz always play better when Okur is on the bench. We need 7 footers playing center who want to play defense.

• BP
    Jan. 5, 2010 5:14 p.m.

Miles:
    I didn't say I thought Matthews was better than CJ. I was Listing what other people have said. I don't know the answer. I think Matthews probably should start, but I've ALWAYS been a CJ fan. I think he can be capable and a huge asset if used right, but needs to come off the bench so they can build his confidence slowly. Starting is too much pressure for him.

I did not, I repeat, did NOT say last week that CJ could only shoot and not play defense. I said the opposite: that his defense against Kobe and others has been good, just needs to be more consistent.
    Cmon, keep it real and stop misquoting me.

• KK
    Jan. 5, 2010 5:22 p.m.

Maybe Sloan was so upset with the awesome 360 dunk of Miles, that he said no more fun! Run the Freaking system!!!! Too bad, that was a fun 1st qtr to watch. The rest was horrible.

• BP
    Jan. 5, 2010 5:36 p.m.

To Hugh G. Hater, Todd, and "@ BP" (whoever that is):

Clearly people are listening to me, since every post is a Reply to me. Noone likes to hear facts and rational analysis when they're emotionally upset about something. Sorry to rain on your parade, but someone has to stand up for moderation and some doggone sensibility. Besides that, I'm having fun.

You SloanHaters (I.e. Todd Homers) are like a bunch of children that didn't get their way and now you're taking your ball and going home. I certainly don't care if you guys agree with me, and I don't really care if anyone agrees with me. I'm not that insecure. I'm just daring someone to prove me wrong. So far all you've done is prove me, and several others on here, to be right.

What again is very funny is this: Even if nothing changes with the Jazz, I guarantee come playoffs everyone on here will be still watching, despite the scary threats that you're going to quit being fans. Now that's something nobody cares about.

Some facts please.

• Fingerson
    Jan. 5, 2010 6:50 p.m.

Todd at least knows the game...BP is no B.R. Jazz are in trouble!

• @BP
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:32 p.m.

I think if you were to take a true random sample of people who attended the Jazz games, watched them on TV consistently or even occasionally or who cared about the team you would find a lot of frustration. I also think you would find that Sloan is a polarizing figure at this point. He is loved or rejected by large segments of the fan base.

Most of the fans want to win. They do not care a lot about Sloan or specific players so much as they expect to win at home and to make the playoffs.

That is not happening right now. Expectations are high because the salaries are high. For years fans suspected that if the Jazz just spent as much as the Lakers they would win. Just the opposite is happening and the fans are upset. They are losing faith in the management which seems to be driving the team into the ditch both financially and in the win column.

Something has to restore the faith of the fan base. We have been patient for years. The problems are getting worse do to inaction by management.

• @BP
    Jan. 5, 2010 7:41 p.m.

I think BP is raising important issues. I do not agree with some of what he is saying but he has important points of view.

There are problems with the players, the coaches, front office decisions and with the offensive system. It is not just one thing. Further, there is not quick magic fix. It took years to get into this mess. It will take a year or two of making the right changes to get out of it.

The right PF/C and wing would help a lot but not fix all of the problems. It may take a year or more to get the right players for the right price. That assumes the FO makes the right decisions.

Replacing Sloan will happen. It is a matter of timing. Then there will be a lot of change. Some will be positive and some not.

To me arguing about whether CJ or Mathews should start is not very relevant. They both have strengths and weaknesses and on any given night both contribute when playing well. Neither is the solution at wing at the moment.

To me the first short run priority is a shooting wing.

• jbra80
    Jan. 5, 2010 10:23 p.m.

Sorry, late for the fight. I was playing basketball instead of watching it last night. BP: You are one of the only reasonable posters here, keep going with your posts. Todd: You take everything so personal on here and respond with name calling, good stuff. Oh and your post about "Greg is going to here from me", yeah really? Good luck with that! Best post i've ever read on here, classic! Anybody rooting against the Jazz right now for a higher pick needs to turn their fan pass back in, find a new team, you are not a true fan. Front Office: You do seem to know b-ball and I liked most of your posts but what was up with qualifying yourself first? That was like when Todd came out and proclaimed he is a former coach (no way thats true Todd).

The Jazz are struggling right now, but who thought they were going to be more than a 5-8 seed anyway? If they somehow don't get back into playoffs, big deal, i'm kind of anxious to see how next offseason goes anyway.

• BP
    Jan. 5, 2010 11:00 p.m.

To @BP: I appreciate the comments, and I'm glad you don't agree with everything I said. That would be boring anyway. I enjoy reading other rational and thoughtful posts as well.

As far as your comments, I agree that a lot of Jazz fans are frustrated. And that's ok with me. I'm frustrated too, but I always look for the silver lining because there always is one. Even if it is one or two guys doing well. That can still serve us well down the road. I'm preaching to the choir here since I'm sure you agree with me on this.
    CJ and Matthews are pretty irrelevant to the big picture, as they don't cost enough to be a burden IMO. I agree we need a Shooting Wing, also a shot-blocking presence inside before we take it to the next level.

jbra80:
    Thanks for the love. Hilarious post! You know you're right about Todd, he is classic. He definitely makes it interesting. I probably wouldn't be posting on here without him making his silly commentaries. Definitely agree on supposed Jazz fans rooting against the Jazz, what a joke!!

• Re: Jbra 80
    Jan. 5, 2010 11:44 p.m.

Really Jbra 80? Do you really believe the Jazz will be a 5-8 seed? You and B.P. seem a little optimitstic towards the current Jazz team and infra structure. Your loalism has to be desired though. I was thinking more like a lottery pick and I do not mean New Yorks. Your opinions are appreciated though and you may be right who knows with this org.

B.R.

• jbra80
    Jan. 6, 2010 8:56 a.m.

B.R.: All i'm saying is that they are better than they are currently playing, and currently they are 9th. They are also 5 1/2 back from 2nd in the conference and 3 1/2 back from the division leader. With 48 games left to play...no i'm not worried and yes i think they will be somewhere from 5-8 when its all said and done. I've said all along that the team is a little flawed, a move or 2 could really change things for the better (or worse). Signing Memo to an extension, when we really had no reason to rush to get that done, was a bad move. Hopefully everything works out, as a fan all you can do is hope.

• todd to jbra and bp
    Jan. 6, 2010 11:51 a.m.

The eternal optimists.

Like The Jazz are going to overtake Denver.

I like JBRA your continuity, homer mode..

"a move or 2 could really change things for the better (or worse)

Again you two are the "poster childs" for what Greg wants to hear and see

Results: You get a 1st round elimination

I agree the Jazz will make the playoffs by default telling Greg "we are fun and competitive. told you SLoan is great"

That is because OK city, Memphis are good but still too inconsistent and hard to say if can do over 82 games. Sacramento is still trying to get over growing pains together and close losses. New Orleans has little, yet they beat us.

So due this year, a tougher conference. The positive for the Jazz is that it will take less wins than one year to possibly have similar seedings.

• todd from santa ana
    Jan. 6, 2010 12:07 p.m.

Dear Intelligent ones:

We have JBRA and BP. We need Magnus back then the "hat tricK' that will score more consistently than a member of the Utah Grizzlies.

That is homers and Miller spokesmen.

• BP
    Jan. 7, 2010 1:18 a.m.

Todd the Jazz Hater:

Too funny your last post....I didn't know I had a posse. But I guess that's better than flying solo, eh? How is that going anyway?

On behalf of jbra80 and the rest of the sane fans, I officially give you the nickname JAZZ HATER for perpetuity (Sloan Hater is too soft). I don't do this to demonize you, it's just the only fitting description to give since you want to get rid of Greg, Kevin, Jerry, S Layden, Corbin, Briggsy, the rest of the trainers, all of the players...and seemingly all of the true fans.

So I ask you, who's going to show up for work? Are you planning on putting together some investors to buy the team out and start working your Toddmagic to build a championship contender? Sounds like you have all the tools and moxy to do so.

I'm no multi-millionaire, but I'd say it's a risk worth taking. You can't get ahead in life without taking a few risks. I know Bryant Henry, Larry's (and now Greg's) right hand man. I can get you a conversation I suppose.

• todd to bp
    Jan. 7, 2010 2:04 a.m.

You are so full of garbage. You are not even worth answering to honestly. Yeah., I would not doubt you know Greg, would not matter either way. Then again, that explains your posts and the tone of them.

A real Jazz Hater yeah thats me I guess. I guess following them almost religously for 31 years, I just do for the heck of it just to criticize.

I have learned in life, people that take the higher profile and go out on a line to tell it like it is, is always not appreciated by those such as yourself.

Except, your attitude is beyong arrogant, the thing you rip me a new one every chance you get, but yet you also do the same thing to others as well.

Let me get back in your loving graces so you feel better

SLoan is the Best Ever
    Greg is a tremendous owner for continuity and having people work for him that do nothing.

It is great sitting back and watching many teams get better and will become "playas" for years in the Association while we make grand designs to get better

Davey Locke is the best ever.

First Round eliminations fabulouso