High school boys basketball rankings

Comments

• 2A AND WONDERING
    Dec. 29, 2009 7:00 a.m.

If South Sevier beat both Enterprise and Kanab, how good are they(ent AND kanab)? Think we have too much respect going toward the South. Look for region 14 to be a big surprise to these southern teams!

• Go Utes!
    Dec. 29, 2009 8:31 a.m.

Where are the Utah Utess in this ranking?

• Brighton fan
    Dec. 29, 2009 8:44 a.m.

Where is Brighton? With only one loss how can they fall from number 2, to not even in the top five?

• RE: 2A and wondering
    Dec. 29, 2009 9:02 a.m.

I would have to agree, although, the win against Waterford may be impressive for SSevier but we still do not know how good Waterford is until they play Rich and South Summit. I would have to think the 20 point win over Waterford was impressive for SSevier. They must have gotten Waterfords Monson in foul trouble which is hard to do as most refs seem to protect him.

• Captain
    Dec. 29, 2009 12:59 p.m.

Who the heck is Rich. South Sevier would kill Rich.

• Arizona guy.
    Dec. 29, 2009 2:13 p.m.

I find it funny that they don't put American Fork, when USA Today recognizes them as a top ten team in the west... if they are 3rd in the 5-A class, then why isn't Bingham and Lone Peak Ranked Higher Nationally. I Played in both A.F. had friends at Lone Peak, and played in Arizona, and i'm smart enough to recognize that AF has true potential, they've been good since they were little kids.

• To: Arizona guy
    Dec. 29, 2009 3:10 p.m.

AF is not ahead of Bingham because Bingham is better. In 1-2 years AF may be the best in Utah.

LP vs AF? We will see on the court who pulls that one off. Both young teams with talented players.

AF is USA Today top 10 in the West? They probably saw the Provo win and put too much value in that one. It was a nice win, but Provo is not what they used to be. Neither is LP.

I think LP is a top 10 5A team. We will see how good they can get. But Bingham is the favorite to win it all this year.

Region 4 will be fun every night.

• RE: Captain
    Dec. 29, 2009 3:57 p.m.

From a laughing 5A fan,
    if you do not know who Rich is, isn't it strange that you are sure that S. Sevier would kill them? Oh that's right, you would beat every 5A school also, right? Seems like I remember hearing that in football. I have not seen anywhere on any blogs where Rich claims they would kill South Sevier. Interesting. Yes I am a 5A fan that is also a Rich fan as I have a cabin in Bear Lake and work with a lot of the kids that go to school at Rich. Maybe S. Sevier could beat Rich, but if they were really sure of that, why would they have to tell people so often?

• Utah Sports Action
    Dec. 29, 2009 5:07 p.m.

I agree with Brighton fan. Brighton should be in the top 5. I have watched them play and they are good enough to be in the top 5.

• REAL 2A TOP FIVE
    Dec. 29, 2009 7:23 p.m.

1-LAYTON CHRISTIAN
    2-SOUTH SEVIER
    3-SO. SUMMIT
    4-WATERFORD
    5-ROWLAND HALL

• Waterford
    Dec. 29, 2009 8:44 p.m.

Waterford had it close with S.S. until the final 3 minutes (3 points). That game was hardly a blowout! Monson wasn't protected at all and I think we'll see a different result next time.

• Rich/ Tabiona?
    Dec. 29, 2009 10:28 p.m.

S. Sevier beating Juab tonight by that far is impressive. No argument from this Rich fan. But have to agree with 5A fan that is wondering why they keep telling Rich they can kill them. We will never know and good luck S. Sevier, hope it all works out for you. That does make more since that Waterford was within three points with three minutes left.

Anyone know why Giles did not play for Tabiona tonight against Bryce Valley? They certainly did not hold him scoreless did they?

• Wasatch Fan!
    Dec. 29, 2009 11:13 p.m.

Go Wasatch! It has already been so fun to watch you play this year, and I am looking forward to seeing your talent and teamwork carry you all the way to the State championship!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 30, 2009 12:19 a.m.

Giles lost his head.

• Re: Giles
    Dec. 30, 2009 7:37 a.m.

Thanks, just wondering. They will need him against S. Summit.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 30, 2009 8:55 a.m.

Lisen Layton Christian barely beat North Sevier, Layton Christian is no better than Kanab, and Kanab aint that could. All you in Northern Utah get off your private school kick. South Summit lost to North Sanpete. North Sanpetes terrible, have you seen what South Sevier did to them, just beat em by 20. South summit? haha shoot.

• Giles
    Dec. 30, 2009 10:42 a.m.

Does that mean that he got kicked out of the game.

• re Waterford
    Dec. 30, 2009 10:45 a.m.

um, so you are saying SS scored 15 unanswered points against Waterford in the last 3 minutes of the ball game? Oh wait, did Waterford take out all of their players the last 3 minutes being within 3 points so SS could beat them by 18? Perhaps you better go back and look at the quarter scores.

• South Sevier Badgers
    Dec. 30, 2009 11:06 a.m.

Yes, South Sevier is the top dog in 2A no questions. They have a very proud tradition of recruiting from the surrounding communities. If any other team in 2A recruited and got the best basketball players from nearby schools then they would compete with South Sevier. If South Summitt got all of Rich's best talent; if Enterprise got all of Parowan or Beavers talent; or if San Juan got all of Monticello's best talent just to name a few, then the tides might turn. It is what it is, S. Sevier is able to successfully recruit and thus maintain dominance in basketball. They should look at recruiting in other sports because they do nothing!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 30, 2009 11:12 a.m.

Liahona at Milford tonight should be a doosie! Liahona's 3-4 but have only played 2 1A teams losing to #1 Rich by 10 at Rich and killing a decent Manila team at Manila by 20. Excited to see if Liahona is for real

• Get over it.
    Dec. 30, 2009 11:29 a.m.

Don't blame South Sevier because the family of the player you have an issue with moved there. They had nothing to do with it. Watch out, you may just choke on those sour grapes you are spitting out. And in case you haven't noticed, the team is loaded with talent that has been born and raised in South Sevier, and the basketball program has been dominant for many years, not just the last three.

• re re waterford
    Dec. 30, 2009 11:46 a.m.

its a good thing that ss beat waterford because they can just become more confident and get upset in the state tournament. Unless you actually played in the game you dont know very much about what happened, however you are probably a SS parent and wont listen anyway.

• re re waterford
    Dec. 30, 2009 11:54 a.m.

the article that follows the game explains it as being much closer than you state. Im guessing you are a SS dad and think they are untouchable so it doesn't matter what happened during the game only the final score. SS won't win 2A this year because they have no room for improvement

• RE: Anonymous
    Dec. 30, 2009 11:54 a.m.

Rich was up 20 to Liahona when they played. If you look at the box score you can see that they definately took the starters out of the fourth quarter.

• Re: real 2A top 5
    Dec. 30, 2009 11:55 a.m.

Did you really Just put a 4-4 team over a team that is 11-0 and a team that is 3-6 above two teams that only have 1 loss. You also put So. Summit above 5-3 Enterprise and 5-4 Kanab. Those are the Dumbest rankings I have ever seen.

• Captain To Re: Captain
    Dec. 30, 2009 12:02 p.m.

What i meant by the comment " Who the heck is Rich" is why do they think that they could beat everyone in everything. They did not say it in this article, I just misunderstood one comment. But I have seen in other articles where they have said that they could beat all the 2A top 5. I am not from South Sevier but i have seen them play and they are very good. I would not be surprised if they could beat Rich by 50 points.

• Not from SS just an observer
    Dec. 30, 2009 12:10 p.m.

Who cares if a kids parents want their son to have a better chance. Coach Hunt didnt go kidnap this kid and force him to play for SS. Parent will always look for the best oppurtunities for their kids. I know this because when I was in high school their were a couple of kids from a smaller community that wanted to play football for us. Their parents begged the schools to let them play. They did play but had to go to school in our school. We didnt recrute them we just gave them a chance to play and one of those kids ended up being the MVP of the state.

• go judge
    Dec. 30, 2009 12:37 p.m.

judge=state champs

• SS Fans
    Dec. 30, 2009 2:30 p.m.

Why dont you know it alls take a visit to South Seviers gym and see how many banners are hung in multiple sports! Especially the 2 that were hung in 64 and 65 in basketabll when there were only two classifications! Beating the likes of Judge Memorial and American Fork. Schools who were 10 times thier size! Come on people.....

• Private Schools
    Dec. 30, 2009 2:33 p.m.

And if we want to call South Sevier the Badgers what shall we call Layton Christian And Waterford? Does the recruiting habits of these private schools bypass UHSAA rules or what? Are you kidding me UHSAA? Juan Diego? Come on! Give them their own league and their own tournaments! Let them recruit all they want!

• RE: SS Fans
    Dec. 30, 2009 4:53 p.m.

Banners hung in multiple sports? I did a little research, and it doesnt work in your favor. I will give you a run down.

SS Boys Championships
    Basketball 9
    Baseball 6
    Track 1
    Football 1 (It is shared with 3 other schools)

SS Girls Championships
    Basketball 5
    X Country 1
    Drill Team 2 (cool)
    Softball 1
    Volleyball 2

Half of the school state championships are basketball. South Sevier is a basketball school and nothing more. They have some championships in other sports but most of them were won before most of the people on this comment board were even born.

I know somebody is going to get on and say "what has your school done." So I did a little research on that as well. Here you go. San Juan Broncos.

SJ Boys Championships
    Basketball 2
    Football 5
    Baseball 3
    X Country 7
    Track 1

SJ Girls Championships
    Track 5
    Volleyball 10
    Softball 1
    X Country 2

We have 36 State Championships. Which is more than South Sevier has. Also we dont share any of ours with other schools. These are the Championships all time as well according to UHSAA. Go check out the website.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 30, 2009 7:20 p.m.

Heck, well it sounds like South Sevier could beat the Jazz.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 30, 2009 8:37 p.m.

i think milford couid be a hard team to beat this year. thay have some real good kid.

• Just Wondering...
    Dec. 30, 2009 9:15 p.m.

where is South Sevier?

• Milford/liahona
    Dec. 30, 2009 10:49 p.m.

Liahona is legit-They led Milford by 18 in the first half at Milford (which is one of the toughest gyms to win in 1-a) but Milford came back to win by 2. It was a very good game. Liahona has some legit kids but Milford finally started playin like they are capable just in time. Both of these two should play deep into the state tourney! 1-a is wide open this year-right now Rich is the team to beat though.

• liahona
    Dec. 31, 2009 10:12 a.m.

after watching liahona play milford I realized this could be the team that takes out rich...if they stay out of foul trouble i'd say their the second best team in 1a. They lost to milford because their amazing point guard had to sit for alot with foul trouble and their two starting posts(which were a really talented duo) fouled out. I hope if milford runs into them again its in the state championship after they took out Rich.

• Liahona?
    Dec. 31, 2009 10:50 a.m.

You honestly think that Liahona can beat Rich after getting defeated by Milford? Give me a break. Milford was down by 18 points and still made a comeback for the win. Liahona was not impressive at all.

• give me a break.
    Dec. 31, 2009 12:53 p.m.

Liahona made everything they put up in the first half, even several circus shots that shouldn't have went in, while Milford missed everything from layups to several easy put backs before shots finally started falling for them. Milford missed 5 of 6 free throws in the last minute or two. Liahona is good, especially #12, but if Milford would have played consistently they would have won by alot more. Milford outscored them 3 out of 4 quarters. The better team won. By the way, Rich beat Liahona easily. I think that result 10 out of 10 times.

• Taking out Rich
    Dec. 31, 2009 2:43 p.m.

The only team that will take out Rich?.....is Rich! Here is how you take out Rich! Just let them run the same old offence they have had for years! The one they call "motion" where there is no motion at all! Stay in your zone "D" and wait for them to pass the ball around enough untill they finally turn it over or throw it out of bounds! If you happen to be down by 10 or 12 with less than minute left, foul them!, They are the worst foul shooting team I've seen in crunch time! And yes Rich fans I know, "You have placed more than any other team in the state", but wouldn't you like to win the big one for a change? Oh, wait!! that's right, there's always next year, and the next and the next.......

• I'm Praying
    Dec. 31, 2009 3:57 p.m.

That in a weak 1A year, football & basketball, which is not Rich's fault, that this will be the year they finally get to raise the State Championship Trophy over their heads! They are consistantly loaded with talent year after year and then consistantly blow the one game that could get them into the Big Game! Hopefully their one young guard, I believe he was a Sophomore last year, has emotionaly matured over the year, he had a tendency to mentally take himself out of the game if things didn't go as he would've liked. If they can play a consistant 32 minutes no one will beat them, in my opinion. The only team, in my opinion, that can cause them sorrow in the state tourny is Piute! I'm an old man who lives in Richfield, played and loves basketball, and looks forward to watching the state tourny every year! I'm just praying that this is finally Rich's year to put a basketball trophy next to their football trophy! What a year that would be!

• 1-A Final Four
    Dec. 31, 2009 4:12 p.m.

How about we have some fun and pick our Final 4 for the 1-A state tournament. Winner gets an all expense paid trip to nowhere - After all that is where the 5-A fans think we live :-)

My entry:

Rich: My no brainer. The Rebels cruise through the first two rounds leaving Montecello in the dust.

Milford: The second best team in Utah has the easiest road to the final four but faces Rich in the semis - this is the championship game a day early.

Piute: By finishing second in the Region 20 tournament Piute punches its ticket through to the finals. They win a close game against Whitehorse in the quarters to advance to the final four.

Liahona: This is the toughest call (could be Wasach) The Region 18 champion beats Duchesne in the second round to advance. You heard it here first - Region 18 in the final 4 and it is not Dugway.

Caviot - if Piute or Milford get upset in their tournament and come in as the 3rd seed. Whitehorse replaces Liahona in the final 4.

• Milford
    Dec. 31, 2009 4:14 p.m.

After watching how milford handeled adversity and came back to win the close one against possibly the second most talented(emphasis talented not best) team in the state i've come to the conclusion the Milford is way legit. Especially since they have the ability to through it into a 6'8 kid whenever you need a score this could be the year all of us milford fans have been waiting for.

• The only way
    Dec. 31, 2009 4:36 p.m.

Rich will win a state championship is if the rest of the 1A teams don't show up! And then they'd probably still loose! But hey, at least they placed!

• Liahona
    Dec. 31, 2009 5:09 p.m.

I've seen Rich, Piute, Milford, Tabiona and Liahona play twice. Hands down, Rich is the best. For the best of the rest, I have it this way: Liahona, Piute, Milford, Tabiona. I didn't see the Liahona/Milford game last night, but a friend (a coach) did and he said it was a playoff quality game. To say that one team was lucky because they hit a couple of "circus" shots doesn't give credit. If you're going to say that then you have to say the same about Milford, especially the last shot they made. Give credit to both teams, they are good, no doubt about it. Why do I pick Liahona over Milford in the playoffs? Neutral court and you don't have Milford with a 36-17 advantage in foul shots. Let's face it though, everyone is playing for second place behind Rich.

• Liahona @ Milford
    Dec. 31, 2009 6:33 p.m.

Milford came out flat in the first quarter, while Liahona was making circus shots like crazy, Milfords shots didnt fall the first quarter which got them down, Liahona is a good team but the refs were bad but the reason why Milford shot more Free-Throws is cause they drive to the basketball, Liahona couldnt stay with them, overall region 20 is the best region and its going to be the toughest region to win in so all our region games will be "state tournament" quality

• Re: The only way
    Dec. 31, 2009 6:37 p.m.

Hey check your spelling! ha ha

• Re to Re: The only way
    Dec. 31, 2009 7:05 p.m.

Hey I'm sorry for my spelling. I can correct my spelling but Rich will still lose! Past years of just placing have proven that. I can't remember if Rich has even played for the State Championship in basketball before?, but if they did, I'm sure they lost!

• 1A down
    Dec. 31, 2009 7:16 p.m.

If 1A is down. 2A is way down

• 1A down
    Dec. 31, 2009 8:16 p.m.

I don't think 1A is down. I think Rich is up and that makes the rest appear down. "Rich this year" is as good as "Escalante last year". There will be a "Duchesne" this year that improves all year and uses discipline and hard work and gives Rich a run for the money in the tournament - not sure yet who that will be. But "Liahona @ Milford" is right - Region 20 is the toughest and I predict the trouble for Rich will come from Region 20 because they will be battle tested.

• Jed
    Dec. 31, 2009 10:08 p.m.

Rich shouldn't lose a game in 1A. Piute will compete, but Rich will prevail.

• To: S.Sevier 60's fan
    Jan. 1, 2010 9:44 a.m.

State championships in the 60's? Serioulsy. I mean good job, but are we still talking about the 60's??Someone definately hasn't gotten over their glory days! The 60's????

• RAMS
    Jan. 1, 2010 1:19 p.m.

We thumped Milford at their place and they and the rest of 1A feels they are better than 2A? Get out of town a little more!!

• re: Rams
    Jan. 1, 2010 1:51 p.m.

I am shocked you can get on here and brag with the way your team has been pounded. Your win against Milford was probably a fluke. I can think of many 1A teams that would do real well against your great 2A team.

• liahona
    Jan. 1, 2010 2:10 p.m.

It's nice to have another good team in 1A. I looked at the stats for their game against Milford, and am I right that pretty much their whole team are Juniors? It looks like they only have one Sr that gets any time. I also noticed that Wasatch Academy has mostly underclassmen. Could it be that Region 18 will be the power 1A region next year?

• re: liahona 2:10
    Jan. 1, 2010 3:57 p.m.

I've heard that a lot lately about Region 18. However, I still think it's unfair that private schools get to recruit, even from out of State. Private schools should have their own league and own rules!

• re: Liahona 2:10
    Jan. 1, 2010 5:07 p.m.

Aren't there 10-15 private schools throughout 1A? Some of them have been around forever and have never sniffed a championship, so I think it's unfair to imply that Liahona and Wasatch Academy have recruited. I remember hearing about how good Liahona was going to be last year when they weren't even a varsity team. So you're saying their coach recruited kids to a program that wasn't even varsity at the time? Sounds like a stretch to me.

• 1A?
    Jan. 2, 2010 1:38 a.m.

My Jr High would beat any 1A team by 40.

You guys need to give it a break 1a and 2a....

no one really cares...it will be decided come tournet time.

• RE 1A
    Jan. 2, 2010 8:47 a.m.

I have only watched one 1a team play this year but say that your Jr High team would beat any of them by 40 tells me that you haven't seen even one. If you want to post your phone number I'll bet that you don't have enough money or credit at the bank to cover your "motor boat" blogging.

• @1A?
    Jan. 2, 2010 8:57 a.m.

Who is your jr high team, maybe it could be arranged lets see a buck for every point you don't win over 40, 10 bucks for every point you win by more than 40. Interested? Let us know who you are.

• RE: 1A?
    Jan. 2, 2010 8:57 a.m.

Obviously you cared about it enough to get on here and comment. A majority of people who write on these blogs are 1A and 2A people. We really dont care about bigger schools comments but we dont get on here and tell you guys that no one cares and that you need to stop writing on these blogs so stop telling us to. 1A and 2A can write on the blogs whenever they want.

• 1A
    Jan. 2, 2010 3:06 p.m.

The fact that the majority of comments on these pages are from 1A and 2A fans is a direct result of the passion involved in small school sports. I played 4A basketball, but I saw a better atmosphere in Milford tuesday than I ever did at a non-region, preseason 4A bball game. Not to mention some great basketball. Both Liahona and Milford had a couple kids each that were VERY talented. Ofcourse they also had kids that couldn't make a free throw or dribble, but they played with passion and heart. If you've never been to a 1A bball game with 2 decent teams (sorry Wendover v Christian Heritage), you don't know what you're missing

• Anonymous
    Jan. 2, 2010 9:41 p.m.

Well if they are picked to be number two. Bryce Valley just beat them. What now????

• BV
    Jan. 2, 2010 10:35 p.m.

Bryce Vally should of beat Milford by 20 but couldn't hit there foul shots! BV is no push over!!!

• Liahona? Milford?
    Jan. 2, 2010 10:41 p.m.

Are people actually thinking that Liahona and Milford are top in the state? I can't believe the person that picked the final four thinks Milford will beat Piute and Panguitch. Milford only beat Wayne four points people and lost to BV! To think that Milford ends up on top in Region 20 is absurd. If anyone can beat Piute in Region 20 it will be Panguitch. The reason why people don't talk about Panguitch is they didn't have Frandsen against Tabiona in the Preview. The top teams in the state are (no specific order) Rich, Piute, Panguitch, Tabiona! Sorry Monticello you beat good team but you are not top in the state. Good for the rest of us, it shows Piute can play bad and be taken out. Valley is the surprise team except not in a positive way. I thought Duchesne would be better than that too.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 2, 2010 10:52 p.m.

Yeah Milford did lose to Bryce Valley. However the foul count for the secound half was Bryce Valley seven fouls twenty four. Now I am not saying Milford did not deserve twenty four fouls but there was no way Bryce Valley only had seven. I mean come on.....

• WOW
    Jan. 2, 2010 11:39 p.m.

When do you 1A and 2A schools have time to practice what you preach? Seems like all your time is on here talking trash to each other....I have to say "your very intertaining".

• 2nd in the state!!!
    Jan. 2, 2010 11:40 p.m.

I have sat back and sat back and read these comments and read these comments... and laughed every minute of it. But now I want to say something! Milford nor Liahona are 2nd in the state! There you have it! I agree with Liahona? Milford? Every word was stated beautifully!

• Again?
    Jan. 4, 2010 6:42 a.m.

During football season all we read on these comment boards was how great South Sevier is....and they lost. Now we are going through the same thing in basketball....? Please give it a rest.

• Ogden
    Jan. 4, 2010 9:23 a.m.

I think Ogden Should be in the top 20. They lost to a very good Ben Lomond, and 5A powerhouse Weber. 4-2 preseason. Go Tigers! Nobody can beat you in the Tiger Pit

• Just wondering 9:15 from Granny
    Jan. 4, 2010 12:15 p.m.

South Sevier is located in Monroe, Utah which is 10 miles south of Richfield. They take in many small communities in the South Sevier area of Sevier county. Beautiful place!!
    As for the rest - Sit back and watch - it will be a fun and interesting season of basketball in all the classifications with the end results hopefully the way you want it to be. Good luck to all players and coaches. You work hard...Go get em!!!

• in the know
    Jan. 4, 2010 2:16 p.m.

So many people post here and give kudos to their team. That is awesome! I do have an issue that seems to run rampant tho, Liahona will have trouble beating Wasatch Academy. Region 18 will be represented well this year, better than any year in recent memory. How anyone can take a cheap shot at Dugway this year knows nothing about the program. The team has ZERO seniors and ZERO experience. The ex-coach left the cupboard bare on purpose. Additionally, private schools have done pretty well in recent years, Mt. Vernon and Layton Christian won a few years ago and Waterford was always a power when in 1A.
    Sounds like Liahona is new and has no idea about the history of 1A.

• new ranking
    Jan. 4, 2010 3:16 p.m.

Since B.V. beat both Tabiona and Milford maybe the D news can show us some respect and rank us for the first time 09-10.

• re: new ranking
    Jan. 4, 2010 4:10 p.m.

Why are so many people worried about being ranked? Trust me, you don't want to be ranked! It simply puts a target on your team and brings raised pressure and expectations. Rankings mean nothing until the final day at state concludes.

• 1-A Final 4
    Jan. 4, 2010 4:15 p.m.

I made the Final 4 prediction that included Milford and Liahona. I did state that I thought Milford was the second best team in Utah - BV proved me wrong. But wait and see what happens when BV comes to Milford. I stand by my prediction that Milford and Piute will make it to the Final 4 - but maybe Piute is the second best team in Utah.

I did not say Liahona was one of the best teams in the state what I said was that the winner of Region 18 will make it through to the Final 4 this year. I chose a chewed up and spit out Liahona over a perfect Wasatch Academy. It is a battle of scheduling philosophy. Liahona has employed the "Bring it on" philosophy of Duchense while Wastch seems to be employing the coveted Dugway approach. I believe the "bring it on" approach creates a better team.

Region 20 is the toughest region in the State. I think we can all agree on this. Rich is the best team in the state I think we can all agree on that. I see more agreement than disagreement.

• RE: 1-A Final 4
    Jan. 4, 2010 4:43 p.m.

I wouldn't overlook Monticello. I have seen them play and they are a very good team. They will make some noise come tourney time.

• re:1A Final 4
    Jan. 4, 2010 6:17 p.m.

I wouldn't overlook the Manila Mustangs. Their program knows what it takes to win it all. We keep improving every game in fact every practice. They will be ready come state tournment time.

• NS
    Jan. 4, 2010 7:48 p.m.

and North Sevier is???

• Anonymous
    Jan. 5, 2010 8:26 a.m.

your right Manilla would finish a solid 4th or 5th in region 16

• 1-A final
    Jan. 5, 2010 9:35 a.m.

I believe your statement about the "coveted" Dugway approach to scheduling is really more the philosophy of their ex-coach, not one adhered to by the new coach at all. Perhaps you should attribute the scheduling philosophy to those who make the schedule and not the school.

• re:1A-final
    Jan. 5, 2010 10:20 a.m.

you are right. if you look at Dugway's schedule for the last couple of years and look at say West Ridge's schedule this year you will probably see similarities since the coach has changed schools

• 1- A Final 4
    Jan. 5, 2010 12:13 p.m.

I agree that Monticello is one of the best teams in the state but parings will have them meet Rich in the Quarterfinals - A rip for both teams. Because there are five regions two champions have to meet in the quarters. This year it will be Monticello and Rich - provided both win their regions as expected. Monticello gets the short end of this stick. Lots of basketball to play this is sooo fun.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 6, 2010 7:07 p.m.

Not a big fan of 1a and 2a high school basketball. I would have to say there may be some jr. high teams that could compete with 1a and 2a teams. Parents at those schools think their kids are great players when 15 people go to try outs to play for 100 students that go to the school

• Reg: Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:35 a.m.

You are not only a big fan of 1A and 2A basketball, you know nothing about high school sports or you would never make that statement. Large numbers help find more talent but small schools have much more talent per capita than large school because large schools produce more lazier kids because they do not involve themselves as much. Fewer kids see themselves as athletes and mostly they do not have the right last name and do not try. Bring your school to the best 1A teams and will see if thee is any talent at small schools:) They would compete. I promise. They will not beat all large schools but they would compete.

• re: 1A Final 4
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:32 p.m.

It's certainly a little early to be putting Monticello and Rich in the quarterfinals. However, you had better do your homework--correctly--before jumping to such conclusions. If you look at the pairings on UHSAA, Region 19 champion is in the upper bracket and Region 16 champion is in the lower bracket, making it impossible for them to meet until Saturday. However, Monticello would first have to get past Region 16 #3--something they couldn't do last year--and then get past Region 20 #2. That's a pretty tough road for Monticello to even get to the quarterfinals. This scenerio, keep in mind--only plays out IF Monticello and Rich win their Regions. Should Monticello not win Region #19, then they would possibly meet Rich on day #2.

• Re 1A final 4
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:38 a.m.

Your a tool!! Monticello and Rich are by far the Best!

• re: 1A Final 4
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:52 p.m.

Re 1A final 4 (10:38 Jan 8),
    Read the comment I posted before you get all upset. I never said Monticello and Rich weren't good. They are two of the best teams in the State. What I did state was FACT. It is impossible for them to meet at the State Tournament until Saturday. They would be on opposite sides of the bracket if both win their regions. No, I'm not a tool, just very informed by the facts.

• Tabiona
    Feb. 7, 2010 8:26 a.m.

Tabiona is the only team that can take down rich...... AND WE DID

• 1A
    Feb. 8, 2010 3:55 p.m.

1A I think you might be over looking Tabiona, if those boys keep playing how they have been their last couple of games they might end up on top when all is said and done...

• Tabiona
    Feb. 14, 2010 4:06 p.m.

The rich game was a preey intense game. I was so happy when we took it. Good Job Boys.

• hatu setu
    Feb. 26, 2010 9:08 a.m.

I was at the Region 20 Tornament last night....There was some great games....Game of the night had to be Milford vs Piute.....Milford got down early, but battled back to take the game to OT....(Second OT game with Piute in 7 days)..Milford grabbed a lead in OT and once again, the TIGERS got outcoached by Piut's coach.....Thats OK TIGERS you are playing good ball, and if you keep it up you will be a force at the State Tourney next week......Keep your heads up and good luck at State next week.......

• hatu setu
    Feb. 26, 2010 9:35 a.m.

I attended the Region 20 Tournament last night.....There are some great teams in the Region and great games last night......Game of the night had to be Milford vs Piute......After showing some heart and beating Valley on the road the night before, Milford fell behind early but came back to get the game into overtime.....(the TIGERS 2nd overtime game with Piute in a 7 day span)....The Tigers finally got the lead in OT only to be outcoached by Piute's coach once again.....Keep your heads up TIGERS and playing the way you are capable of and you will be a force to be reckoned with at State next week.......GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!