BYU football: Hall caps career in blaze of glory

Comments

• MVP MVP
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:06 a.m.

The mainstream media wants to insinuate that Oregon State would have played better without the wind, but Max Hall would also have played better. However, he was outstanding in the face of adversity. He deserved the MVP award many times over.

• Overstated
    Dec. 24, 2009 3:05 a.m.

Hall has had a nice career at BYU, but come on - if finishing
    g a season with a reprimand from the conference and less
    than 200 yards passing in a bowl game is a "blaze of glory"
    then what will you call a truly spectacular performance?
    And where's the love for Pitta? Nationally Hall is an above
    average QB but sr. Pitta is probably the best TE in the
    country.

• Red Headed Stranger
    Dec. 24, 2009 7:08 a.m.

To any Utes wishing to comment here,

Just let it go. You will be much happier if you do.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 24, 2009 7:37 a.m.

Great bunch of guys. Both on and off the field. Definitely some magic happening again at BYU.

It will be interesting to see who steps up and fills the holes these guys are going to leave.

Thanks for some great memories!

• Mizzou Blue
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:01 a.m.

I am one who has been critical of Hall in the past. But the way he performed in Las Vegas shows his maturity in taking all the criticism in & not letting it effect game-time performance against a team like Oregon State. Max, to you and all the seniors, congratulations & thanks for being a big part of restoring BYU's credibility on the national scene!!

• Howard S.
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:43 a.m.

Capped his career indeed. There is certainly no NFL in Max's future.

His brother-in-law will soon be collecting an NFL paycheck while Max will be selling cell phones.

• Hall-Maxie
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:47 a.m.

Max's "adversity" was created because he can't hold his temper. His accounts of the bad U people are still unsubstantiated by police who allegedly had to escort them to their car. Yes, Max's lasting legacy will be that he shot his mouth off frequently, that the conference reprimanded him AND THAT BYU AND HIS COACHES DID NOTHING. "I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, I hate their fans, I hate everything." When asked about these comments later, Hall stated "I think the whole university, their fans and their organization is [sic] classless". His response was no apology, it was a designation of who he meant to talk about but it did not apologize or retract. After the last touchdown against Utah, tape clearly shows him hitting Sylvester from behind as he ran to George, at least he was enough of a cheapshot to do it from behind because he knows Sylvester would have cleaned his clock if he would have done it face to face, see 2008 Haka dance before the game. Goodbye Max, you will not be missed or kept on any NFL roster.

• re:overstated
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:55 a.m.

No one is comparing the performances of Hall and Pitta. Dennis' performance over his career speaks for itself. Shake your head and get a grip! Pitta did not win the Bowl game. Hall was the team leader in this outstanding victory which was a team effort and to suggest otherwise is flat out ludicrous!

• BlueBoy
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:04 a.m.

My biggest problem with Max was his propensity for throwing interceptions.

He fixed that the second half of this season. Kudos, Max!

Nice ending for your career. Great win!

• cowboy
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:06 a.m.

My very best wishes to Max and all of the Seniors. I admire Mr George. and I do not mean to withhold any praise for those great defense and Mr Pitta, You men can be on my combat team anytime. May life and God bless and keep you all
    (Max you are the firery one, You mak me smile young man, a warrior indeed but I would not want to be tackled by several of those defenders)

• Re: Hall-Maxie | 8:47 a.m.
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:21 a.m.

Amen.

Max Hall's hateful tirade and BYU's lack of response reveals a lot about the values of the BYU athletic program.

• It's Simple
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:22 a.m.

Those who feel a need to still criticize Max Hall need to take a long look in the mirror. WE ALL make mistakes. Max's just happened to be very public. Some people simply focus on the negative. I'm sure it's reflected in many aspects of their life not just their anonymous comments on sports blogs.

Max was a fantastic QB for BYU. He began this season with a nice performance against OU and ended it in the same way. Thanks Max Hall for all you have done for the program the past three years!! You will be missed. Next season when some young QB takes your place we will recognize your contributions that much more.

In the big picture of the Max Hall era, let's not forget that BYU had the best 3 year run ever. They also had to compete against a Utah team in 08 and a TCU team this season that were both arguably the top team in the country. In hindsight, the only games BYU should have won in the Hall era that they didn't was Tulsa, Arizona and FSU. Great QB and great 07-09 teams!!

• BleedCougarBlue
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:22 a.m.

Wow.

Time after time yewt fans have had opportunities to apologize for THEIR part in Max's post-Utah game statement, i.e., how THEY treated him like garbage for a full year but yet time after time they keep refusing to apologize for their part in the mess.

Time after time after time after time after time.......

• Re: Hall Maxie
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:24 a.m.

You say that Max Hall won't be missed and since you are a Ute fan....you're right the Utes won't miss him!

I was at the game and BYU fans were loyal and stayed until the end in the craziest football weather. Max played his heart out and totally handled the difficult circumstances of the weather. Max, thanks for the memories. COUGAR FANS will miss you!

Thank you to the BYU Seniors and all other team members for a memorable game! BYU dominated the whole game!

• Re: Overstated
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:25 a.m.

I was at the game and the wind was blowing hard. It is amazing he got the amount of the yards despite the gail force winds.

• Hall #4 All-Time
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:31 a.m.

Here is my ranking based only on their play at BYU:

1. Ty Detmer
    8. Virgil Carter
    9. John Walsh
    10. Gary Shiede

• Bluto
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:36 a.m.

To Hall Maxie

The very attitudes you rip Max for, you exemplify in spades.

Where is your temperment?

No forgivenes?

Quite frankly, I don't see any difference in tone in your judgemental attitude than I did in Max's
    "heat of the moment", "just from the field of battle", comments.

The difference is, you, more than likely, never even earned a High School Letter, hence you are unable to relate to "heat of the battle", emotions.

However, you are indeed, making your angry comments, A Full Month After The Fact, and you are still angry?

Max, on the other hand, has long ago, apologized for his more strident remarks, he then moved on and has demonstrated, that he could keep it all together under pressure.

(That's a little notion called "Redemption"), you may want to look it up!

Apparently, you should follow "his example" on this
    one. It might save you an ulcer or two!

Bluto

• Jared
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:55 a.m.

Max was great!

I had quite the debate with a friend over next years QB. I believe Riley Nelson will be the guy and my friend believes Jake Heaps will step right in. I mentioned Heaps will likely serve a mission and be ready to go after that. My friend said Heaps has no plans to go on a mission and will start the next four years. Any thoughts?

• Max
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:06 a.m.

This is one Cougar fan that you have one over.
    26-23 and 2-1 vs the u
    2-1 in bowl games with a big win over a ranked Oregon St team
    32-7 is very impressive.
    Max and the Cougars beat 3 ranked teams this year and 5 teams with winning records.
    A win over Oklahoma any year is impressive.
    The continued comments by "some" U fans only proves Max's point about Class!!!

• To Jared
    Dec. 24, 2009 11:10 a.m.

Things can always change but Heaps has publically said that his plans are to come in early, win the starting job, and play out his eligibility. Lots of great Cougs have done that and still been fantastic examples and missionaries for the Church. It appears by all accounts that is his plan.

But I suppose circumstances can also play a role in that. If he wins the starting job I think we can be assured he does not go on a mission. Similarly, if Crowton had put Ben Olson in the USU game he likely would not have gone and would have been our QB over Beck. So, things could change if Nelson or even Lark (more unlikely) wins the battle. He may then choose to go.

I personally think Nelson and Heaps have the edge in this battle. Lark can't be ruled out but he just returned and is susceptible to injury as spring ball and a hot QB battle is just around the corner. If he pushes too hard he could get injured.

My predictions - Heaps starts, Nelson backs him up, Munns redshirts, and Lark transfers somewhere close to home like Southern Utah or UNLV.

• Silly Ute fans
    Dec. 24, 2009 11:15 a.m.

Saying Stevenson Sylvester would have cleaned his clock. Referencing 2008 pre game Haka, That was pure classless Ute pride. Max's only mistake was insinuating ALL Ute fans when the truth is MOST Ute fans. Congrats Max!

• Third Down
    Dec. 24, 2009 11:30 a.m.

Max Hall is probably the best 3rd down QB in the history of BYU and one of the best ever in the country. He will be missed on those critical downs that he seemed to find ways to convert at an amasing rate. Have a great life Max and good luck. You'll always be remembered for your two victories over the Utes if nothing else.

• Legacy
    Dec. 24, 2009 11:50 a.m.

Max you have cemented your legacy at BYU with your 2-1 record over the ewe, 2-1 recored in bowls and 32-7 record overall. You will be missed for your winning by Y fans and remembered for good and bad depending on the fan base for your comments. Utah fans who continue to trash MAX only support his and other fans veiw of many classy fans from the U.

• Come on, Ute fans
    Dec. 24, 2009 11:57 a.m.

Are we going to have to put up with your weepy tirades about how Max Hall hurt your tender feewings for the next ten years?

Give it a rest, already.

• Cougarf@n
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:27 p.m.

I think Hall is probably the fifth best QB of all time for BYU behind Detmer, Young, McMahon and Bosco. Tough call on whether he's better than Sark and Beck though.

The only thing that is funnier than seeing yewt fans whine about Hall hurting their "tender feelings" (as 11:57 describes it), is them pretending the incident never happened. THe pouting and denial is hilarious. Like Hall just made that stuff up because there's no way something like that could ever happen at RES. As one who has attended several games at RES (not just rivalry games), I've seen these things happen several times. I've had people try to dump beer on me (they missed), throw garbage at me, do things to a blow-up doll with a BYU cheerleader outfit on, and try to fight me for no reason. I've seen this at the rivalry game and, to a lesser extent, at other MWC games such as against TCU and CSU. While I can't say I witnessed these events, people in denial about whether they happened have no clue about what goes on at the rivalry game at RES.

• Answering Jared...
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:45 p.m.

I'm sure Riley will get the early nod over all others. BYU, like any other major football program, isn't going to turn the year over to an untested, recent high school grad. Look at USC and their results with Barkley, who is very lucky he was surrounded by so much talent at other positions, otherwise the Trojans would have been sub-.500 this year. At least Riley has gotten plenty of practice reps and some D1 game experience.

• oh, I forgot to mention
    Dec. 24, 2009 1:00 p.m.

Our basketball team rules also........

• Answering Jared, Part Deux
    Dec. 24, 2009 2:15 p.m.

Just one more prognostication (to our Utes fan-friends, that means, "a forecast or guess at the future")re: the pending QB battle at the Y in 2010. The final contest will come down to Lark and Nelson, who, I still believe, will get the nod for the starting job. BTW, I'm just messing with our Ute compadres...I like poking the lions through the cage at the zoo. My sister graduated from the U, so I have a right to give Utes a hard time.

• Utah IS Classless
    Dec. 24, 2009 2:17 p.m.

Max Hall you are a STUD! Thanks for all you gave to BYU. It was awesome watching you dominate for the past 3 years.

And truthfully I HOPE UTAH REMEMBERS YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS FOR A LONG BITTER TIME. You are a prophet - just wait till RES next year and all the Classless Ute fans come out.

• Digbads
    Dec. 24, 2009 2:33 p.m.

Thanks for the great years Max.

You've been very fun to watch.

Oh, and thanks for stating your feelings about Utah fans. It has really opened the door on their condescending hypocritical double standards.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 24, 2009 2:37 p.m.

The starting QB while important, is just the beginning. The back-up is going to be critical as well. Hall never missed a snap because of injury, but it is doubtful that that luck will continue through the playing time of the next QB. And while Nelson got some exposure this year, it seemed that he never was given a full latitude of plays to run. I still wonder how effective he will be in the passing game.

• Short time
    Dec. 24, 2009 3:00 p.m.

Just returned from the Vegas bowl and Max did an amazing job with the wind, you had to be there to truly appreciate how hard it was blowing. And to the Utah fans who showed up to the game to cheer against BYU..you are the ones Max's comments were intended. How can fan's be so twisted that they hate BYU more than they like their own team? to this I say Merry Christmas and I hope Santa can find you a life.

• kc
    Dec. 24, 2009 3:15 p.m.

give max hall is credit. you hateful utah fans need to chill out

• Anon
    Dec. 24, 2009 3:31 p.m.

Based on the comments criticizing Max Hall posted here I'm beginning to think that Max Hall's rant was absolutely right in all its particulars. Where are posts by Utes criticizing the comments using a host of hateful invectives against BYU, the students, church leaders, and players for no other reason than to be hateful.

Hall's revelations about the putrid Ute behavior, encourages me to hope the game is closed to the public, forcing the fans to pay for their malicious activities. If fans can't behave, they shouldn't enjoy the right to watch the game in person.

The poster who identifies himself as Hall Maxie is an example of a hate-filled Utes. His detestable posts are why Hall is right and HM is a pathetic moron wannabe, which brings up another point.

I’ve heard Utah is first in graduating the most morons per capita, nationally. Poster "Hall Maxie is a prime example, provided he can pass all his remedial courses so he can start real college. Shouldn't take him more than two or three years. Who knows, he may not even be able to get to full-moron status.

• Re: Answering Jared . . .
    Dec. 24, 2009 4:01 p.m.

About the 2010 starting QB job. You make a good point about Matt Barkeley being the starting QB, but what about Jordan Wynn for Utah? He was the most talented of the group and choosing to start him over Cain was the best decision Utah could have made. I really think that Jake Heaps has the raw talent to step right in and just be that good. Look what Max Hall did as just a sophomore. Those are my thoughts. If there is anything Heaps has to do to be prepared to take the job he's going to do it. I think that Nelson has a slight edge being where he is but I also think that with Heaps and the way he fits into BYU's system, he will pass Nelson up over Spring and Fall camp. Heaps has his work to do but that's how I see it playing out.

• Dear Howard S
    Dec. 24, 2009 4:15 p.m.

Right along side Johnson

• Dear Hater
    Dec. 24, 2009 4:24 p.m.

Reading your unforgiving comments shows that Max may very well have been right about Utah Fans, at least those who are on this blog. No Class. You apparenty have not Read Matthew 7. Or if you did, it did not take.

• Come On Cougs!
    Dec. 24, 2009 4:33 p.m.

How long will it take to realize that the idiots on both sides are only a small minority. Go check out the posts to the main article in the DN about the Utah bowl win. Dozens of classy comments from both sides. That represents the majority. Let's stop being so reactive to the few (from both sides) who continually come here and post. Most love their own team but also cheer for their rival otherwise. I'm not sure what is more immature - the initial post or the thin skinned responses going both ways.

• To - Answering Jared
    Dec. 24, 2009 4:41 p.m.

You said - IMO Heaps won't be even slose to ready to start his freshman season from what I've read of the scouting reports. He needs to beef up some in the upper body and work a lot on his deep passing, a glaring weakness at this point. With time, I'm sure he'll improve in these areas, along with his footwork and speed.

I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree. Heaps is the most ready to play of any freshman QB to step on campus. Ben Olson also could have played had Crowton handed him the ball but I don't think Olson came early for spring ball like Heaps is and Olson was not nearly as accurate. Heaps is simply one of the top three QBs in the country this year and is very skilled in the short to intermediate game that is BYU's bread and butter. And I remember a skinny kid who also needed to beef up and did not have a rocket arm. His name was Ty Detmer - and that was as a senior! Heaps is just as ready as Nelson and probably more than Lark just getting home.

• heber
    Dec. 24, 2009 4:46 p.m.

I hope Nelson gets the starting job next year he has speed and brings a new element to the game. He has'nt thrown the ball much this year but he can throw he has all the utah records. It will be interesting who will play they are all really talented

• Nelson and Heaps
    Dec. 24, 2009 5:16 p.m.

I see both helping the team in different ways. Nelson will be a great direct-snap, run threat. Watching him play you can see that he can run well. I think that coaches will game plan for him, and that he will have plays designed to use him. But Heaps is certainly the pro-style, starting quarterback that BYU is looking for. He will have all off season to be prepared to step in and I see him doing a better job than Max Hall did as a sophomore.

• A career with glory?
    Dec. 24, 2009 5:42 p.m.

No BCS bowl
    Low-class comments
    Struggles in big games --ie no big wins
    Mediocre "quest for perfection" campaign

Yeah, I get it.

• Santa
    Dec. 24, 2009 6:00 p.m.

Great win BYU. Thanks to all the players and coaches. BYU football is the best. Congrats for all the wins the last 4 years. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. BYU rocks.

• JM
    Dec. 24, 2009 6:00 p.m.

BYU fans make it so hard for a Utah fan to respect BYU. As a Ute I am thrilled with what Bronco has done to rebuild the program. I love the fact that the Mtn West is giving the BCS all it can handle and more. Once the BCS is dead and buried, then BYU will become enemy #1 again.

I like most Utes don't fault Maxie for what he said, we just think he was cowardly for saying it after he waited to see if they would win as opposed to having the guts to say what he had been feeling for a year.

Now if he would have made those same remarks before the game and still gone out and won, that would be something. I still wouldn't like him and I still would think they were a little over the top but at least you would have to respect his moxy. For now I will just sit back and enjoy our 9th straight bowl win. How many did you win Maxie?

• Azresident
    Dec. 24, 2009 6:19 p.m.

Mendenhall's blathering about Max makes me want to throw up. He is as annoying at Max.

• Santa C.
    Dec. 24, 2009 6:20 p.m.

I am writing this to all the bad little boys and girls {Ute trolls and Utes with no class). I have been watching and must say that I am very disappointed with your behavior. You have been very bad boys and girls. All you care about is being mean and nasty. That's not any way to act at Christmas time. Christmas is the time to be happy and enjoy the presents under the tree. I don't see anything under the tree for you. Maybe you just don't believe in Santa. I won't be leaving any presents this year. It's really not that difficult to be good boys and girls. Try it you might like it. Time to run. Merry Christmas to all.

• Heaps/Nelson which fits BYU
    Dec. 24, 2009 6:29 p.m.

Heap's HS Career

618/1000 (.618) for 9295 yards and 113 TD's, 18 Int's, 30 Rushing TD's (record 40-2 with 3 state championships)

Sr: 3,191 yds, 45 TDs, 7 Int's, 9 Rushing TD's
    Jr: 2,945 yds, 38 TDs, 4 Int's, 7 Rushing TD's
    Soph: 3,103 yds and 31 TDs, 7 Int's, 14 Rushing TD's

Nelson's HS Career (harder to put together)

Career:
    Total offense 9869 yards for Passing 79 TD's, 51 Rushing TD's

Senior year:
    277/409 (.677) for 4041 yards and 53 TD's, 31 Rushing TD's (1774 yards rushing) (13-1 senior year with a state championship) (4054 total yards prior to senior year)

Heaps was recruited by top schools like Wash, FSU, Oklahoma, Cal, TN, ND and has won every major award for a HS QB at all the specialty camps.

Nelson was a parade all American as an All-Purpose Player not as a QB. He was recruited as a safety by Stanford, and others. All American QB's that year were Mitch Mustain, Tim Tebow, Matthew Stafford, Jevan Snead, Jake Locker, Pat Devlin, Demetrius Jones.

• Mr. T.
    Dec. 24, 2009 6:32 p.m.

To JM. Why say some nice things and then at the end of your article be so stupid? How many years did it take Utah to win an outright conference championship? I think it was almost 40 years. If not mistaken I think BYU has around 22. Just give up the hate for Max and BYU. You'll feel alot better. Morgan Scalley and Alex Smith said hateful, mean things about BYU fans and players. Big deal. Let it go. Get a life without hate.

• more re: JM | 6:00 p.m
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:08 p.m.

Here are your finishes in conference the last 11 years plus previous 7 bowl years.

2009 3rd
    1996 T-3rd
    1994 T-2nd
    1993 T-4th
    1992 T-5th
    1964 3-way T-1st
    1947 1st
    1939 1st (#3 bowl represntative from the MWC)

Bowl record vs conf - considered strongest conf to weakest (as teams are aligned today).

SEC (1-0)
    Big12 (0-0)
    Pac10 (3-2)
    Big10 (0-1)
    ACC (1-0)
    BigEast (2-0)
    MWC (1-0)
    WAC (0-1)
    CUSA (2-0)
    Independent (1-0)

15 total bowls (11-4) in your history. 1 time (1964) you represented the WAC as Champ in a bowl. Now 3 times in the MWC you have represented as the conf champ. Should be easier to win bowl games when you are playing lesser opponents for most of them.

BYU=20 times represented as conf champ in bowl games and never went to bowl when lower than 3rd in conf.

• Utah Fan
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:44 p.m.

I could care less about Max Hall's comments. He stated something in the heat of the moment. I've done that myself many times - saying something I didn't really mean. Apology accepted. He was a great QB for BYU, but he never accomplished what the Utes did: a BCS bowl win. I think some BYU fans secretly deeply resent that. However, BYU had some seriously tough competition in TCU and Utah. Young, McMahon, Detmer, etc. did not have a trio of competition at the top of the conference. People should give Hall more credit for that.

I call 'em like I see it.

No hard feelings towards Max Hall.

• AK Cougar
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:27 p.m.

Thank you Max for bringing fire into the program and playing. I have enjoyed your play and watching you direct the offense. It was a very good ride. I will remember you most about the difficult plays you were able to pull together for a big win. Congrats to you and best to you in your future.

Comments above about next years stable of QB's. Glad I am not the coach, but it will be fun to read all the morels the DN prints about the progress of the players to keep our spirits high during the non football season.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• kvw639
    Dec. 25, 2009 12:45 a.m.

Hey you Ute fans...cool how you point out that Max won't be drawing a paycheck in the NFL....not sure if you're right, but I believe your deluxe quarterback last year, Brian Johnson, has no hope of cashing any NFL checks. How's his pro career going? I'm sure you're puzzled, right? Sometimes, great college QBs never play pro ball successfully....it doesn't diminish Max's winning record against the Utes.

• George is STILL open
    Dec. 25, 2009 12:46 a.m.

A bunch of sore looooosers. Cougars win again. Nuff said!

• Seabisquit
    Dec. 25, 2009 5:16 a.m.

I appreciate that Max Hall had talent and focus of effort I could not come close to. He may have learned enough this year to have a shot at the NFL. He is the best that was available and has amazing records to prove he was very good.

How does he rank among past QBs? We have to include in the evaluation that he had BYU's best ever wide receiver to throw to in Collie,the best ever tight end in Pitta (with George also), and the most productive running back we have ever had. I would drop him down to the middle of the top ten list, and am still really glad we had such a great QB available. Look how he did in the wind compared to the all PAC10 QB.

His comments about the U? A good coach and a good parent does not jump on every mistake. My children are fully grown and I am so glad now of the many times I did not respond, only helped fix it or just asked what they learned. In my book he is still a kid, but a pretty good one.

Great job U last night.

• Congrats on your bowl Max
    Dec. 25, 2009 8:32 a.m.

Now go up and pilot the Edmonton Eskimoes to a Grey Cup victory.

• Tracer
    Dec. 25, 2009 9:22 a.m.

Top QB from MWC vs Top QB from Pac-10. Hmmm. MVP for one and lots of excuses for the other. Max had a slide on scramble % of .08. NFL commentators talk about the best indicator of a team's strength is 3rd down conversion rate...Hmmm. If OSU and CAL played uninspired (as the ESPN commentators stated) perhaps that alone should drop them from the royalty of BCS. I wish Max well in the draft and hope that he surprises the naysayers every bit as much as Austin has. Also, great kudos to Jordan Wynn for taking it to the Pac-10 facade....

• RockOn
    Dec. 25, 2009 9:41 a.m.

Objectively... Max Hall is in the pantheon of BYU Quarterbacks. I've watched all of them lay eggs. But, like the other great ones they kept going and kept winning.
    The Pantheon
    Tier 1= McMahon and Detmer
    Tier 2= Bosco,Young
    Tier 3= Hall, Carter, Sarkesian
    Tier 4= Beck, Wilson, Nielsen
    Honorable Mention: Walsh, Sheide

• To Remember About Hall
    Dec. 25, 2009 10:44 a.m.

Two key points to remember about Max Hall's career are that 1) he was a great 3rd down QB. Pitta, Unga and Collie helped with that but he did come through at those crucial moments as well as any past QB and 2) NO BYU QB ever had to go up against the kind of in-conference talent that Hall did against TCU and Utah. The 08' Utah team and this season's TCU team were every bit as good as any past BYU team. Hall lead this team in a very different conference dynamic than past BYU QBs did. In my book, he was a gambler (high int numbers) but also a big time winner (all time leader). His game reminds me of Detmer (though doesn't read the field quite as well) and his personality like McMahon. He is a solid 4 or 5 on my all-time BYU QB list. I have a feeling we will all appreciate him and this great 3-year run even more as we break in some very green QBs next season. Thanks Max!!!

• Utes are jealous.
    Dec. 25, 2009 11:03 a.m.

Yewt fans are jealous that Max went out with a bang. Max is the best QB in MWC history and one of the best ever at BYU.

• Re:RockOn | 9:41 a.m
    Dec. 25, 2009 12:31 p.m.

You're right on.
    Merry Xmas

• Willie
    Dec. 25, 2009 2:32 p.m.

Thanks for the ride Max. You beat that TUN twice and left them whimpering.

• Sane Fan
    Dec. 25, 2009 4:22 p.m.

So Alex Smith makes comments about BYU that are similar to those made by Max Hall and he does it on National TV, ESPN. Funny how the local media, MWC, and Utes fans are so incensed when a BYU QB states he hates the Utes. Alex Smith said he hated BYU and called everyone affiliated with BYU as being so arrogant but he issued no apology and he received no reprimand by the MWC. So why the double standard?

• Howard S.
    Dec. 25, 2009 5:56 p.m.

"So why the double standard?"

Those "higher standards" can be a pain when you actually have to live up to them.

• Re: Howard S
    Dec. 26, 2009 2:06 p.m.

Sorry you think Max wants your job. Don't worry, he will be doing much better than selling your cell phones, even if you does not make it in the NFL.

• RE:Coward S.
    Dec. 26, 2009 3:53 p.m.

"There is a double standard because BYU set the double standard by claiming the role as standard bearers for the values of BYU."

Who else's standard bearer should BYU be if not BYU's?

• Re: 3:53 p.m.
    Dec. 26, 2009 4:54 p.m.

Be the standard bearer for BYU values. Live them to your hearts content.

But when you publicly espouse those higher standards as the basis for your superiority and your senior quarterback blatantly disregards those standards, don't be surprised when others notice and call you on it.

• Great year Max
    Dec. 28, 2009 9:51 a.m.

BYU played against seven teams that made it to bowl games this year and, with Max as QB, compiled a record of 5-2.

Utah played against six teams that made it to bowl games. Their record? 3-3.

Max went out a winner and a class act.

Dec. 28, 2009 11:15 a.m.

From a life time BYU fan, thank you for your dedication to the program and great effort. You had your ups and downs like most of us, but you gave it your all and did everything ask of a BYU QB. 1) Won a conference title. 2) Beat Utah (2x). 3) Won bowl game. (2x) The records and wins over Oklahoma, UCLA, Oregon State, Arizona, TCU, and many others were all icing on the cake. Utah fans should just be ignored. They obviously don't like you because you are a threat to their teams success every year you played. They degrade their own program every time they go after you as you beat them 2 of 3 years. Again, thanks and best of luck to you and your wife as you prepare for the next stages of your life, whatever that brings you.

• BYU stands for
    Dec. 28, 2009 11:35 a.m.

Striving for perfection, not being perfect. That is why Max apologized. It's now on the Ute fans, not him.

• What?
    Dec. 28, 2009 1:21 p.m.

You Utah fans amaze me. I don't live in Utah but cheer for the MWC. You chastize Matt for what he says but then ask how he can be a good Christian and make comments like that. Apparently you think that telling the "truth" is unchristianlike. Had he not said what he truly felt and said that he thought the Utes and their fans were wonderful you would all be singing his praise. And it amazes me how easily you brush aside what your fans did to his family...as if that shouldn't matter. You would have all said the same had you been in his shoes. Congratulations for someone finally saying what they really felt instead of sugar coating it! Now get over it!

• Let's get real for once!
    Dec. 28, 2009 10:16 p.m.

The huge majority of Ute fans are mature, self-respecting folks. Likewise the huge majority of BYU fans are mature, self-respecting folks. It is the extremely small, fringe group of wacko nut-jobs (from both schools) who ruin this great sports rivalry between these two great schools. We end up calling each other liars and worse. We end up demeaning two of the nations finest coaches for doing no more than trying to bring out the very best in their respective teams. Sadly, I do not have the answer. I am just sick of the nasty, disgusting dialogue and certain events we have been witness to. Being a sports fanatic does not give anyone license to leave your brains at home on game day. I would prefer you just stay home rather than ruin it all for the rest of us. And moreover keep your silly diatribe(s) to yourselves on these sites.

• Ref: Career of Glory
    Dec. 29, 2009 7:23 a.m.

Yea you're right the two wins against the uties were not "big wins". They're just par for the course for the Cougars (3 out of the last four).