Utah

Muslims attending BYU focus on similarities between Islam, LDS tenets

Comments

• Anonymous
    Dec. 21, 2009 12:02 a.m.

I went to Utah State and then transferred to BYU for graduate school. The biggest shock to me was the emphasis on marriage and that every activity seemed to be about pairing people up, etc. etc. Looking out the window I would see girls carrying plates of cookies, cakes, etc. to the men's apartments. It seemed that most everyone had one thought in mind--MARRIAGE. That was several years ago and I would have hoped things would have changed a bit.

• Finding
    Dec. 21, 2009 12:44 a.m.

Similarities between cultures and beliefs builds bonds and friendship. Heaven knows our world could use more of that.

Cultural diversity tends to round out individuals.

• rw
    Dec. 21, 2009 1:08 a.m.

Great story!If we all treated others this way--looking for and building on similarities, and seeking to understand and respect differences--the world would be a much better place.

I'n proud of the Muslim students and their LDS friends. I hope they foreshadow the future.

• Idaho Mike
    Dec. 21, 2009 1:13 a.m.

Dear Andrew (quoted in story),
    We are NOT "taught to believe that Islam is a violent culture". But we are taught to read media reports from the Middle East, dominiated by Muslim Culture. Wow, if that part of the world isn't violent, then God didn't flood the earth during Noah's day due to "violence". Sheesh. 2 nice Pakistani Cougars (bless them) versus 100,000,000+ "Extremist" Muslims who honor Allah by supporting violent jihad?
    Just can't tell the truth at BYU?
    PC'ness is going to fry us.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 21, 2009 1:47 a.m.

I don't know from where Mr. Moulton is, but I have never been taught that Islam is a religion of violence and hate. In the contrary.

• nice article
    Dec. 21, 2009 3:23 a.m.

Good to see the Y is coming along. Those who think Muslims are all a bunch of radical terrorists are spending too much time on Fox News.

• ECR
    Dec. 21, 2009 5:03 a.m.

Great article! This seems to be evidence that two seemingly different religions have so much in common and that with thoughtful understanding and patient consideration they can exist side by side. Thanks for this wonderful illustration.

• Steve
    Dec. 21, 2009 5:52 a.m.

It's great to read about Muslims living in a Mormon community. My wife and I are originally from Utah but have been living in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain for 14 years. (I stlll read the Deseret News on-line). While there are clearly significant differences in culture, religion and politics we really have much more in common than those who are not familiar with both societies and religions typically realize. We really enjoy living in the Middle East. We generally feel very welcomed and we appreciate living among faithful Muslims with high moral standards. I'm very pleased to read about Muslims who are having similar positive experiences living in a Mormon community.

• Kim
    Dec. 21, 2009 7:13 a.m.

What a great article! It certainly is refreshing to see representatives from two great religions with similar values respect each other in this manner. What a fine example for all of us. I think it is great that BYU would allow these outstanding young men from Pakistan to enroll. The experience is rich for both them and for the BYU students who come in contact with them.

• Jim
    Dec. 21, 2009 7:29 a.m.

Cookies? Marraige? WHAT! at BYU!

• @idaho mike
    Dec. 21, 2009 7:32 a.m.

Your ignorance is only outpaced by your blind hatred. You sound like someone that could use a little less alone time and a little more time in higher education.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 21, 2009 7:49 a.m.

I THINK THAT THE CHURCH IS CONCERNED WITH FINDING THE THINGS THAT ARE COMMON WITH mORMONS AND OTHER FAITHS. tHIS IS CONTRARY TO TRENDS IN THE PAST WHEN WE CONCENTRATED ON THE WAYS WE WERE UNIQUE. iT IS MUCH BETTER TO FIND COMMONALITIES THAN TRYING TO STAND ALONE.

• I Guess
    Dec. 21, 2009 8:00 a.m.

Treating women as property is a "High moral standard "? I guess living in some century other than the current one is another "high moral standard' ? I guess that until these Muslims take over the USA like they are trying to do in Great Britain and institute sharia law everything is just well and swell. I don t trust Muslims . Not any of them

• Walt
    Dec. 21, 2009 8:16 a.m.

I think Mr. Moulton was probably giving his first ever newspaper interview in his whole life, and made a very unfortunate choice of words. I doubt he has been "taught" to believe that Islam is a violent culture "and stuff." It might have been appropriate in this case for the reporter to read that quote back to him and ask something like "Is this really what you mean to say?"

• Muslims
    Dec. 21, 2009 8:42 a.m.

I attended a presentation at BYU where I learned there are more Muslims in China than the middle east and more Muslims in Indonesia than the rest of the world combined.

In other words, to the West, Islam has wrongly been defined by the Middle-Eastern radicals. Most Muslims are peace-loving and respectful people, including towards women, previous commentor. Not all Muslims are like the caricatures you see on tv.

• Lee
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:05 a.m.

OK ,So not all Muslims are terrorists.But, all the terrorists have been Muslim.Right, Muslims are so nice living in our culture.But you won't find any religous schools in muslim countries tolerating anything but Islam.How many missionaries does the LDS Church have in muslim countries?I'll answer it for you, NONE!I remember Saudi Arabia trying to keep chaplains & Bibles out of thier country when we sent our troops there to defend them in 1991.All of you Pollyanna's just keep thinking that "diversity" pap.But don't don't try it in muslim countries. You may not come back.

• significant commonalities
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:06 a.m.

1. A prophet; Who superceeds the Bible. "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you let him be enternally condemned. (Galatians 1:8)
    2 They both deny the God of the Bible the(Tri-une God)

• One question,
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:21 a.m.

Besides poverty and violence, name one thing Islam has contributed to the global society?

Name one, ONE!!, Islamic figure who has contributed to science, medicine, social progress, civil rights, education, government, and/or business?

I'm waiting....

• to significant commonalities
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:27 a.m.

Give it a rest, will ya? Why are so many fringe Christians eager to stir up trouble?

• BYU Fan
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:29 a.m.

To the Utah State transfer that apparently didn't enjoy having women bring him treats -- get over it. Most guys like having pretty, young women visit.

• New Yorker
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:29 a.m.

@ significant commonalities:
    You might want to really understand what you are saying before writing your nonsense. Your script is right from the anti - LDS textbooks. Having lived in the south these "sentiments" were expressed and when challenged could not be defended. Arguing with people like you serves no purpose.

• Orem girl
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:33 a.m.

I think some of you have better things to do than to trash on an article that is meant to inspire feelings of love and unity. It may come as a shock for you to that there are actually many "radicals" in EVERY religion. (LDS included) Let's share our similarities and treasure our differences!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:34 a.m.

Great story. Hope we can all build on similarities this way.

• To "Lee"
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:37 a.m.

All the terrorists have been muslim? What of the IRA in Northern Ireland? The Weathermen in the US? ETA in Spain? FARC in Columbia? All muslim, eh?

• Allie
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:38 a.m.

@ "Significant commonalities"

Thanks for your #2 comment! New revelation did help us overcome the errors of men from the Nicean Council and the deletions and mistranslations of the Bible to understand our Father directs His Son and the Holy Spirit in working together in the Godhead.

I revere our Muslim brothers for their deep faith and devotion. So many of my Islamic friends on the East Coast where I live are the best people I know in their generosity, intelligence and compassion.

Many powermongers in all faiths want to "force" everyone to live as they dictate. That's why my friends had to leave their countries to come here for safety! I mourn that they suffered at the hands of the same people we are afraid of now!

We need to follow the Savior (or Allah) in loving one another and serving God by living what we believe and not persecuting our fellowman unnecessarily. At Christmas, give the gift of forgiveness and generosity of spirit.

• Re: Anonymous 12:02 am Dec. 21
    Dec. 21, 2009 9:44 a.m.

"I went to Utah State and then transferred to BYU for graduate school... It seemed that most everyone had one thought in mind--MARRIAGE."

The fact that many BYU students seem to be focused on marriage is nothing but a huge positive in my mind. At every other university in the country, college students engage in casual, premarital sex, or "hooking up" as it is now called. At BYU, men and women are seeking and generally finding, marriage partners so that they can have appropriate sexual relations in the context of the marriage covenant--leaving behind the illegitimacy, social disorder, and possible disease that comes with that other common university lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that, and everything right with it...

It is no wonder that people who have a high moral code feel comfortable at BYU.

• To "One Question"
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:00 a.m.

If you really think muslims haven't influenced the world (I hope that isn't true - if so, our education system has failed you), you my want to do a little reading about the Islamic Golden Age - if you're looking for names, you'll find many.

(Incidentally, before you wrote your poorly informed comment, did you pause to think of the many thousands of muslims who have sacrificed their lives fighting along side US servicemen in the Middle East?)

- A BYU Grad

• KC
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:10 a.m.

I'm reminded of Jay Evensen's editorial about the time BYU Jeruselem Center students gave blood after a terrorist attack that killed and wounded Palestinians. His Palestinian cab driver reportedly said, "Mormon blood is Palestinian blood, and Palestinian blood is Mormon blood!"

Incidentally, the LA times once published a very interesting article about the friendly relationship shared by several prominent LDS and Islamic leaders.

There are many differences between Christianity and Islam, but their similarities are enlightening and it's certainly encouraging to read about some of the friendships that are developing.

• Too many Extremists
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:18 a.m.

Please don't be an extremist Christian. Extremists typically lack understanding (as is blatantly evident above).

Instead, look deeper to see the common bonds that build healthy bridges of understanding. It opens lines of communication that lead to better understanding that lead to discussion that lead to mutual respect. I respect your views and hope you can respect mine. If we are well grounded we can handle such openness without taking offense or shooting up walls built of terror.

In my mind, the Bible neither condones a tri-une God (John 17:11,21-22) nor demands allegiance to an incomplete understanding of past truths (why the Jews rejected Jesus), but instead it does appear to me to teach every true believer to love one another as the Savior loves us. (John 15:12,17 and Luke 6:27). Love comes of understanding. I can therefore say that I welcome openness and discussion between Christians and Christians as well as between Christians and Muslems as well as between Christians and Jews, or what have you. We are all children of the One true God who is anxious for us to better communicate. Thank you DN for this beneficial article.

• Lee
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:19 a.m.

There have been terrorists throughout history. But none of them can compare to the level of atrocities that are commited in these times by MUSLIM terrorists.I am only aware of "suicide" bomber terrorists that are muslim.Muslim terrorists are much more organized than those in N.Ireland or the U.S. There is no real goal behind islamic terror than simply they want everybody to convert to Islam.And yet the muslim terrorists actually commit acts of destruction on other muslims.It was muslims that gave us 9-11.It is muslims killing innocents in Israel.It was a muslim that gunned downed military and civilians a few weeks ago in Texas.And it was done in the name of Islam.No my friend,I believe that Islam owns the terror of these times.

• Zadruga Guy
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:20 a.m.

@One Question:

Algebra.

The way we write our numbers.

Some aspects of medical care.

Just three very significant things off the top of my head.

• To "Lee"
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:38 a.m.

What do you mean by "these times"? If you're searching for examples of mind-numbing horror within the Western World, look to Nazi Germany - terror on an almost unimaginable, industrialized scale. Sadly, that did not occur in the distant past. Consider the slaughter of muslims by non-muslims in the former Yugoslavian nations. To argue that radicalized Muslims are the only group that has engaged in terrorism, you must ignore recent history.

• To "Lee"
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:41 a.m.

How odd that an article about two nice, muslim kids studying at BYU gives rise to a heated debate about terrorism. Pictures of nicely-groomed, studious boys calls to mind images of dusty men carrying assault rifles. There's something wrong with that. Something very, very wrong.

• Surprised
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:49 a.m.

I was surprised that students of another religion would be allowed at BYU. What about Jewish or Catholic hopefuls?

• To all you Islam haters
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:51 a.m.

It has nothing to do with Islam, but evil people who use religion and poverty to accomplish their means. Take a history lesson and you'll learn that it was the exact same thing in the Middle Ages only the other way around. Muslims were the cultured and thriving ones and the Christians committed unspeakable atrocities on them. The Islamic religion itself is not the problem just as the Christian religion wasn't the problem back then. Please separate the religions from those who supposedly are believers in it.

• RE; Allie 9;38
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:01 a.m.

@Significant commonalities; 1. Joseph Smith taught the Tri-une God of the Nicence creed; "Which Father,Son, and Holy Ghost are ONE God,infinite and eternal,without end Amen. (D&C 20:28)also see (2Nephi 31:21) then he changed his mind.
    2. "Deletions and mis-translations". please give me specifics; Manuscript and date,scripture verse of variant reading. I currently have the Greek N.T. variants of the Gospels of John, Matthew,and the Epistles of Galatians and quotes from 2nd century diciples(of the Apostles) and Church Fathers,They would disagree with your assertion deletions. Your argument is one silence. Mis-translations, show me and I will check the Greek translation. Modern tranlations can be helpful, and in some cases better than the KJV. By the way not everything Saint Paul wrote was inspired, like his laundry list.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:07 a.m.

First I hear that we think we're really similar to the Jewish. Now I hear we're really similar to Muslims.
    This is just so neat!

• To Surprised
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:08 a.m.

You're kidding, right? BYU has many non-LDS students and even non-LDS professors.

• To Surprised:
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:12 a.m.

Students of all religions are welcomed at BYU as long as they agree to live by the honor code. They do pay more in tuition, but it's still a great deal considering the cost of college these days. I had classes with a lot of kids who were not LDS. It simply didn't matter. My room mate was Jewish and my friend who I grew up with was of no particular religious beliefs, but both came to BYU and were welcomed and enjoyed studying there.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:12 a.m.

Thank you to Idaho Mike for showing us all what is inside the mind of a Palin supporter.

• New Yorker
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:13 a.m.

Surprised? What planet are you living on? There are many non-LDS that attend BYU. I think that even means Catholic and Jew. Check it ut before you make such a ridiculous comment.

• To "RE; Allie 9;38"
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:17 a.m.

First of all, this isn't the proper forum for a religious debate (but you're drawing me in). Second of all, I suspect you're knowingly mis-characterizing Smith's teachings (anyone who's read his writing knows what you've asserted is not true). Thirdly, anyone who's studied the Bible knows it has been translated many times and that there is much debate regarding those translations. The Bible may have been inspried by The Almighty, but it was written by men for men and it includes (as do all mankind's works) errors and omissions. Consider, for example, books that are mentioned by the Bible but not included within it: Wars of the Lord, Jasher, Acts of Solomon, Samuel the Seer, Gad the Seer, Nathan the Prophet - the list continues and is extensive.

• Utah Grad
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:17 a.m.

I enjoyed this article. I knew a Pakistani man who went to school in Utah County (UVCC). His experience didn't end well after 9-11, but anything we can do to build bridges should be promoted. I'm also troubled at the hatred displayed in some comments, following this story.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:28 a.m.

As a Utah State student and now faculty member, I have been friends with many Muslims over many years. The commonalities among the cultures is not a new idea. Glad BYU is catching up.

I have had very respectful interactions with Muslims. Calling them a violent culture because of the radical elements that get the news coverage is similar to calling all Mormons polygamists because some polygamists refer to themselves a Mormons.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:41 a.m.

I can see the similarities. Both are worshiping made up gods based on Abrahamic (if that is a word) traditions. Both religions view women as property. Both religions would insist on everyone obeying them if they could get away with it. Very similar.

• Jim
    Dec. 21, 2009 11:57 a.m.

to Anom 11:41am

Surely you jest. When was the last time you read the Nicean Creed...no scriptural evidence to support it but widely accepted. Yep surely you jest

• the people
    Dec. 21, 2009 12:06 p.m.

Many Muslims are good people, I have no problem believing that as they are all sons and daughters of God. That being said, the religion is a repressive abomination. Not all religions are the same, and not all have added value to our world. In the case of Islam, it has added more evil than good in my opinion, and we should not put it on an equal footing with the LDS religion as this article does, this kind of a comparison is laughable in my opinion.

• Prior to 2001
    Dec. 21, 2009 12:13 p.m.

Anyone remember Oklahoma City? prior to 2001 our version of terroirsm was domestic- indeed the Dept. of Justice had the great misfortune of submitting their budget request on Sept. 10, 2001 to Congress- any guesses where international terrorism ranked in their top 10 priorities- yeap not in them- needless to say they asked for the request back and made it number 1- but the point is domestic terrorism has always been a probelm and if you read the Dept. of Justice assesments of late you will see a considerable concern over it again in the last couple of years- but I am sure that is a left wing conspiracy as is anything that does not comport with preferential views and stereotypes as we desire them

• BH
    Dec. 21, 2009 12:27 p.m.

Great article. It is nice to see a news story that, instead of being about hatred and all the crimes that go along with it, is about a couple young men with good values and enough applied intelligence to know how to find common ground with their neighbors. Thanks, DMN.

Lee:
    While there have been some significnat recent events that may lead one to believe Muslims are primarily responsible for terrorism in the world, you may want to take off the blinders and look a little further around you.

I think that everyone would agree that Timothy McVeigh's act upon the Oklahoma Federal Building was an act of terrorism. And I'm pretty sure he claims to be Christian.

And then we have the home grown KKK organization, who demonstrated expert terroristic skills during the '60's and '70's, and still to this day does their best to breed hatered and intimidate others. Isn't that what terrorism is about? Pretty sure KKK members claim to be Cristian too. Can you say burning cross?

• LOL!!
    Dec. 21, 2009 12:29 p.m.

"Low tuition?"

That is interesting? Thank goodness for scholarships or I wouldn't be able to afford it......LOL!!!

• John Z
    Dec. 21, 2009 12:31 p.m.

To One Question:

The following Islamic scholars laid the foundation for modern science:

Abu Abdullah Muhammad ibn Muso al-Khorazmi (Algorithmus) in the ninth century developed new procedures in mathematical calculations and numerical systems, including algebra and algorithm; Abu Ali-Abbos Ahmad al-Farghani (Alfragnus) in the ninth century resolved significant problems in astronomy and geometry; Abu Rayhan Beruni (Beruny) in the eleventh century contributed significant understandings in geography and astronomy, including arguments for a geocentric system, which predated that of Copernicus; Abu Ali ibn Sino (Avicenna) in the eleventh century advanced the study of medicine; Mirzo Ulughbek, in the fifteenth century, engaged in extensive astronomical observations with one of the world’s earliest observatories. Indeed, Ulughbek used his observations to draw the world’s first precise map of the known stars.

I hope this helps.

• John Pack Lambert
    Dec. 21, 2009 12:31 p.m.

Since Marriage is the most important decision you make in life and essentially for salvation, I do not think there is anything wrong with caring a lot about it.
    I do think that people at times need to spend more time planning their marriage than their wedding, and at times impatience is a little too much, but marriage is good.

• Eliot
    Dec. 21, 2009 12:38 p.m.

BYU has long cultivated warm relations with Muslim peoples. BYU's Jerusalem Center is a testament to that effort which required a strong relationship with both Jewish and Muslim groups. BYU has created what they call their Islamic Translation Series which has made available English translations of Islamic texts. Three years ago Boyd K. Packer gave a stirring introduction for Dr. Alwi Shihab of Indonesia prior to his forum address at BYU. You can find it on BYU's website. Read it if you want to find out how church leadership feels about Islam.

• RE: Allie 11;17
    Dec. 21, 2009 1:03 p.m.

"And the honor be to the Father,and to the Son,and to the Holy Ghost,which is ONE God. Amen" Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, Martin Harris(from the final line of the Testimony of Three witnesses)agree with Joseph Smith(D&C 20:,28)changed his mind.

Your list of non-canonical books: Some of the tests for inclusion,(there are many more) Is it authenic?-The fathers had a policy of "in doubt,throw it out.",Is it dynamic-did it come with the life-transforming power of God. Was it received,collected and used?-was it accepted by the people of God? Peter acknowledged Pauls's work as Scripture parallel to Old Testament Scripture(2Peter 3:16)
    In (Acts 17:28,29 NIV)Paul quotes the Greek poets,Epimendes and Aratus, why not include them in the Bible?

• Ace
    Dec. 21, 2009 1:04 p.m.

Many of the Christians who have posted comments need to read up a little on the history of Christianity before they group all Muslims into "violent extremist" box. Ever heard of the Inquisition? What about the Crusades (there were nine of them)? Heck, what about the Missouri Extermination Order? Just good Christian folk giving people they considered to be non-believers the option to convert or be killed.

• To: Anonymous @ 11:41
    Dec. 21, 2009 1:19 p.m.

Women as Property??? Latter-day Saints view "women as property?" Are you kidding me? How can you actually post comments like these with any iota of integrity?

Your post is one of the most absurd ever allowed to be posted by a DNews moderator.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 21, 2009 1:23 p.m.

No, Andrew, "Americans" have not been taught that his religion is violent. More specifically "Provincialism" may be teaching it.

• Flatlander
    Dec. 21, 2009 2:38 p.m.

Whoa-heated debate going on here over a feel good story about a 19 year old kid. Well I went to a Catholic school here in the plains so have at me with whatever hate you've got about those of us who did-start with the Inquisition if you'd like.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 21, 2009 2:41 p.m.

I too made friends with Muslims who were keen to become friends with me and seemed genuine and warm.

That was of course until the discussion turned to Jews. It was then that I realized it was all a facade.

With all this talk about looking for the things we have in common, pity Muslims can't and wont extend that same consideration to Jews.

In my experience Muslims are tolerant until you disagree with them.

PS... since when did Mormons allow people of other faiths to talk about their religious beliefs in a fast and testimony meetings? I know a Baptist minister who would like to do the same.....

• John Pack Lambert
    Dec. 21, 2009 2:56 p.m.

Modern terrorist techniques were developed by Jews.
    Was it Muslims in the IRA (absolutely not), the Basque Seperatist movement (no again), bombing Oklahoma City (no way at all).
    I could come up with some other terrorist acts not done by Muslims, like the OAS killings in France and Algeria to try to force France to not pull out and killings of nuns in El Salvador along with hundreds of others. There are lots of terrorist acts that have been done by people other than Muslims.

• John Pack Lambert
    Dec. 21, 2009 3:00 p.m.

To Lee,
    You need to take basic math.
    There is an ENTIRE MISSION in Indonesia. Indonesia is a Muslim country.
    There are missionaries in Malasia. Malasia is also a Muslim Country. There are at least 3 missions in Nigeria, some would count Nigeria as a Muslim country.
    So at least two, maybe three or more Muslim countries hae missionaries working in them.
    I believe the Church also has missionaries in Kazakstan, which is often considered a Muslim country, and I know they have them in Albania, which is clearly considered a Muslim Country, although whether it really is is harder to say, since for 30 years it was an athiest country.
    Sierre Leone is also at times counted as a Muslim country and there are missionaries there.
    So there are lots of missionaries in Muslim Countries. Know what you are talking about before you start talking.

• John Pack Lambert
    Dec. 21, 2009 3:09 p.m.

To the 9:21 commentator,
    Among the more prominent Muslim scholars have been Al-Ghazali, Al_Fabi was a muscian, philosopher and the like, Al-Kindi was an astronomer, chemist, mathematician and so on. Ibn Rashd or Averroes was the greatest philosopher of the 12th Century, far more advanced than any Christian contemporary. I could go on. Suffice it to say that the greatest scholars from the 9th to the 13th Century were all Muslims and that the Islamic world was culturally and scientifically much more advanced than Europe at that time.

• John Pack Lambert
    Dec. 21, 2009 3:17 p.m.

The Utah State commentator really shows that people prefer to hate near by. BYU has had Muslim students for years. Hugh Nibley had a story from the 1970s or 1980s about some of his Muslim students.
    The Mufti of Jerusalem's children went to BYU in the 1990s. These men are by no stretch of the imiagination the first BYU students who are Muslims.
    I knew multiple Muslims at BYU and I was last there in 2004.
    If you want to build respect worldwide, first build it in your own backyard by not turning an article that is designed to open people's minds into a chance to try to claim people are behind the times.

• John Pack Lambert
    Dec. 21, 2009 3:23 p.m.

To the 11:41 commentator,
    First off, who views women as property more, those who encorage them to respect themselves and not show off their bodies or those who encorage them to go around in a string bikini so they can win a beauty contest?
    I know that is putting things at the extremes, but so is your comment.
    The claim that Latter-day Saints treat women as property is a tired canard that has no basis in fact. It is not built on actual Mormon theology, that is unique in teaching that a man can not be fully saved without a wife.
    The claim that Muslims treat women as property would need to be squared with the fact that Pakistan, a very Muslim country, has had a woman leader and the United States has not.
    I think you are largely wrong on both sides. Like I once did you have confused inner devotion for pressure.
    Lastly the LDS Church boldly proclaims the right of all man to worship God in however they please. All LDS references to Employment Devision v. Smith I have seen have decried this decision that banned religious smoking of peyote.

• John Pack Lambert
    Dec. 21, 2009 3:29 p.m.

To the 2:41 commentator,
    I have heard many people who had not been baptized speak in fast and testimony meeting. Either you have never been to such a meeting or you do not understand them, I am going for the former.
    Anyone can come to the front and speak. There is no checking and regulating people before they come up.

• Christy
    Dec. 21, 2009 4:21 p.m.

Great article. And so nice to see that most comments are positive.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 21, 2009 4:41 p.m.

Missionaries might have presence in some countries with large Muslim populations, but LDS missionaries are not to teach the Gospel to Muslims. Do you want to guess why? Because members of the religion of peace kill family members who convert to other religions.

My brother served a mission in Australia and they were given direction there not to teach Muslims... it is only that much worse in countries with a predominant muslim population. Furthermore, they have stopped sending european looking missionaries to some of the areas in the countries you have mentioned because there is a perception they are Americans and therefore targets.

By the way, your comment about anyone being able to speak at fast and testimony meetings. Fast and testimony meeting is to bear a testimony. As church leaders have indicated, this should have 4 parts. One, a testimony of the divinity of Jesus Christ as our Savior and redeemer, two that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, 3 that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that this is the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. As a Muslim cannot proclaim this, then the individuals comments should not be expressed in this forum.

• Re Anonymous 4:41
    Dec. 21, 2009 5:06 p.m.

Mormon Testimony; not only could Muslims not express this nor could a knowledgeable Christian.
    The Jesus of Mormonism is an exalted man,Christians don't beleive that. The majority of Christians do not know who Joseph Smith is and it does not matter ditto Book of Mormon,and Mormonism(another Gospel) which is not in the Book of Mormon,but added later.
    The one thing Islam and Christianity have in common is they don't believe in Mormonism.

• Melissa Anderson
    Dec. 21, 2009 10:51 p.m.

I love Talha and I am so glad that he is always willing to share his beliefs and testimony with me. He's a great example of a Muslim and I'm glad he's here to teach us all a lesson or two:)

• Greg The Man
    Dec. 22, 2009 12:22 a.m.

Talha, you are amazing! that is all

• derrick
    Dec. 22, 2009 8:14 a.m.

whoaa-oh sameer dude you're awesome!

• matthew
    Dec. 22, 2009 9:24 a.m.

sameer you're an inspiration to us all ;)

• Stay sweet
    Dec. 22, 2009 11:27 a.m.

Don't Mormon men all plan to become polygamists in the end? Become more like the Muslims and beat their wives? Umm i think this is the great plan. It is a mans religion and must WOMAN OBEY the priesthood! Till then you must stay sweet.

• To One Question
    Dec. 22, 2009 12:31 p.m.

You obviously don't know about anything regarding the history of science math and astronomy, etc.

The Muslims in the Middle East were miles ahead of the Europeans in every way, especially in math. Explorers and others took back the knowledge they gathered in the Middle East and in Asia and used it to encourage Europe's backward society to progress.

Algebra, for instance, comes from the Arabic word Al-jabr-wa. Muslims were the first to develop and use algebraic equations.

Muslims figured out that the planets moved long before anyone else did (although based on writings by Aristotle)

Muslims in the Middle East were among the first to successfully use knowledge on opthalmology and dental care. They were MUCH cleaner and WAY more civilized than the Europeans. Hygiene was a foreign concept to Europe.

Although they did hit a wall and failed to progress at a certain point, they DID contribute to society in a phenomenal way. Unmatched by other cultures.

Your bigotry is showing.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 22, 2009 12:50 p.m.

Had to check in to see whether this discussion had gone of the deep end. As expected, it has - plenty of wildly inaccurate information about both Muslims and Latter-Day Saints.

• D&C 132
    Dec. 22, 2009 12:55 p.m.

To Stay Sweet,

Just read me to find out.

• Great Article
    Dec. 22, 2009 1:03 p.m.

I have always respected the Muslim people for the way in which they live their religion. They are very dedicated to their beliefs. They set a good example for us.

• Talha and Sameer great examples!
    Dec. 22, 2009 2:16 p.m.

I very much enjoyed reading this article. I love reading examples of people standing up and living what they believe.

I went to BYU six years ago, didn't have the chance to interact with any Muslims, but I currently do on a daily basis at my job in the bay area.

As Muslims and Mormons both believe in a final judgment, we will be judged on the basis of how much light and truth we received in life. Nobody but God will judge. Of course as a Mormon, I believe that before someone can be judged as "saved", they must have performed certain ordinances, whether in this life or the next.

To all the posters commenting on violence/terrorism/Islam vs. Christianity, I'd suggest reading jihadwatch dot org - gives a very interesting perspective - shows "in their own words".

• Heidi
    Dec. 22, 2009 4:11 p.m.

I would like to know more about Islam. I have not been taught that it is violent, though I have observed that it is. I've been taught that it is the religion of peace. But I have not observed that. I have met and heard of a handful of Muslims (these two boys at the Y, Benazir Bhutto, a guy at a fotomat named Mohammed, and a counselor at college) that have been positive Muslims. The others I have met and read about in the news, scare the heck out of me.

I have read parts of the Koran, and have found it to be contradictory and violent in parts, very negative. I think there are several versions of it out there. And I believe that "positive" Muslims have the Spirit of Christ in them. I would like to hear someone who knows about the Muslim faith to enlighten me...because like I said, I am not yet convinced that it is the religion of peace.

• try this out in your area:
    Dec. 22, 2009 8:52 p.m.

I organized a lecture at my (LDS) Institute where we invited students from my University's Muslim Student Association to give a lecture on some of the basic tenets Islam. It had a huge turn out and was very sucessful. (If I were still in school, I would probably repeat this experiment with other religious groups on campus as well).

Mormons and Muslims can relate in a lot of ways, not the least of which is that we can both understand what it feels like to be grossly misjudged by popular media and broader American culture. I can say that as a committed latter-day saint, I was strengthened by the example of the Muslim students I met. They helped me to live my religion in a secular environment, and honor God more than man.

• To Walt
    Dec. 22, 2009 9:21 p.m.

What a classy, gracious insight. Thank you!

• T
    Dec. 22, 2009 10:29 p.m.

Great article! I've met Sameer only a couple of times. I've always walked away a better man after having a conversation with him!!!

• To Lee:
    Dec. 23, 2009 6:12 p.m.

There have been many Muslim scientists, like Avicenna and al Khayyam, and others, and they advanced algebra, chemistry, medicine etc. but that is not the point. We do have much in common with moderate Muslims and nothing in common with extremist wahhab or shia ones. In general, there were many other religions in Muslim controlled lands until these fanatics took control, even in Iraq and Iran. We have to convert or kill these people, or they will surely do the same to us.

• Hoffa
    Jan. 4, 2010 2:10 p.m.

Great insights, we all should expand our horizons more.