Utah Jazz: Team falls apart late at L.A.

Comments

• could have fooled me
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:08 p.m.

that was the jazz in the 3rd & 4th qrtr? no way. the jazz left staples center at halftime and were back in SLC well before the game ended.

i'm also handing my resume in to the miller family for the head coaching vacancy soon to be announced for the utah jazz.

• Robbie F
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:10 p.m.

I loved the first 3 quarters, but when the Lakers clamped down, the Jazz rolled over. I am a die hard Jazz fan but the Lakers in my opinion are going to win the championship this year and next. Boston is too old and no one else can beat L.A. I know many Jazz fans will harp on me for this comment, but Kobe Bryant is the 2nd best player in NBA history. MJ is #1 and Kobe #2. And Kobe is a close 2nd in my opinion. The guy is unstoppable. Wow. I hope the Jazz can have a good year and keep getting Deron better and add more pieces so that we can have our chance to shine as well. Congrats to the Lake Show, they are the best in the biz.

• Mike c
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:12 p.m.

I hate the lakers 6 points bother me more than the loss

• Big T
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:13 p.m.

From 6 min left in the 3rd Qtr, the Jazz were outscored 42 - 11. How is that possible? When they execute, they can play with most teams. The Jazz lack discipline, get out of their offense and try to play 1 on 5. This is a # 7 or 8 seed at best, let's trade Boozer for someone that can play defense and rebuild this team.

• Pathetic 4th quarter effort!
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:15 p.m.

I put the 2nd half on my DVR, but forget watching the ending now after I saw this headline! Must have been the worst most pathetic effort ever! Let me guess, it took LA getting up by 15 before Sloan finally figured out he should probably call a time out? Sounds like a fine bit of coaching Sloan!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:17 p.m.

Sloan's time is up. 6 point yo must be kidding me?

• same old
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:19 p.m.

Same old story, same team performance these guys really have a chemistry problem and know consistency,will it ever really get better?

• Not sloan's fault
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:24 p.m.

Where was deron? 17 pts is fine but when our shots weren't falling why was he passing up open looks? Intimidation lost this game for us, by the whole team

• joe says
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:30 p.m.

Jerry stinks

• todd from santa ana
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:33 p.m.

sounds like a job for another man to help us "overcome the fear"

I guess all of you think that if Avery was coaching tonight we would fall apart, look scared like little kids running home.

• todd from santa ana
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:35 p.m.

thank Greg and Kevin and Jerry they picked this roster....O Connor will tell you tomorrow "wait not a healthy roster" it will change when Price and Korver get back!

• Chuck Nunn
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:39 p.m.

The team gave a superior effort for three quarters, but the Lakers are just too big inside. It didn't help that Fesenko was sick and didn't travel with the team, and Koufos? Well, throw a guy in for the last four minutes of a rout and you can't expect very much. Ultimately, it was Gasol who kept the Lakers close throughout, and the Jazz just ran out of steam. Would Fesenko have played if he'd been healthy? I would hope so. His presence would have cut down the huge disparity on points in the paint. Hopefully team doctors gave him some pepto or something, because Superman is coming and Utah is going to need something more inside to try and slow him down.

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:41 p.m.

I hoped the Jazz bounced back against the Magic, loosing to a good team like Lakers are understantable as long as the Jazz did their best

• jbra80
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:45 p.m.

Where to place the blame after this one? 6 pts in the 4th? Their bigs are too long and skilled for our frontcourt and then they have Kobe on top of that, that equals a bad match up for us. Regardless of how bad we matchup against them, 6 pts is unacceptable. Where is the heart? Not quite sure what else you can say about it. I know it happened against the big bad Lakers but Todd, I think now is the time to hit that panic button.

• jbra80
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:49 p.m.

And how do they find these photos of Okur's defensive prowess? They had the picture of him blocking Duncan after monday and now he's doing it to Kobe. Why don't they show a more appropriate picture for the game?

• todd to jbra80
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:01 a.m.

my friend thank you........I would like mr knowledge of REAL the great Fedor to give his thoughts. Also Snagglepuss would be helpful if he came back.

I see this the start of a 8 game losing streak? No of course hope not. It is not that the Lakers are not better we know they are. My worry is how for 2 years any sign of road adversity and we completely tense up, fall apart and stop playing. That is a huge concern more than losing a basketball game.

I blame everyone yes Jerry should have tried Koustos. Yes, Jerry did not have a scorer he needed Okur to at least hit a 3 or 2 to stop a 19-0 loss.

This is a total team loss not just a head coach.

My question tomorrow...Who will defend Howard and his friends?

Maybe Hymie the robot from Get Smart

• todd to cowboy joe
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:04 a.m.

I am sorry to report this, I am beginning to agree Chris Paul is a better leader than Deron. It kills me to say this. Tonight he helped put the team on his back vs Minnesota and last night vs improved Sacramento.

By the way what did i tell you? Minnesota is (0-2) since beating us

• Anonymous
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:15 a.m.

If the Lakers get up by more then 5 or 6 points Sloan needs to immediately call a time out. Momentum and confidence are major, major factors in basketball! This was poor game management. Don't allow the Lakers to get on a roll!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:19 a.m.

Hey CJ you don't need to jack up a shot every time you touch the ball!

• Fire
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:35 a.m.

Sloan please please please. Then fire O'Connor. The trade Boozer( He is playing great) but face it he is gonna be gone next year let's get someone for him now why he is playing great. I love the Jazz and always will and I can live with the loses if their is effort. One of the funnest years I remember is the year after Stockton and Malone. They didn't have much talent but busted their butt. Sloan has lost his fire for the game and you can tell it is effecting the rest of the team. O'Connor just needs to be gone all he does is sit back and collect a paycheck. This status quo has got to change, if not I hope the Jazz fans stage a boycott on at least one game. one game could make a huge difference in a change.

• r u kidding Robbie F
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:41 a.m.

Sorry Robbie you must be a 90's child or the F stands for flunk. Kobe is not the 2nd best player ever. He is very good but Jordan is so far better than any player ever to play that it isn't even funny.

A little history for you, you have L Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul J. Pistol Pete, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson.

Greatest players of all time not only dominate the game, they raise everyone's elses game to new levels. Jordan won 6 titles in a row (minus his year and a half off). Bill Russell won 11 in 13 years. Kobe has won one where he was the best player on his own team. Without SHAC Kobe has one ring.

Kobe may be a top 25 player of all time, but he still no top 10 player in NBA history. Spend a little time checking out history, before you declare your generational player the greatest ever!!!

• 1 year extension ...
    Dec. 10, 2009 1:02 a.m.

of misery, inconsistency, road games losses and of course, NO TITLE !
    Long live to Sloan. He will to coach the Jazz even when he turns gray, and on wheelchair.

• talk to me GOOSE...
    Dec. 10, 2009 2:09 a.m.

Road games + Jazz = big loss

• Avatar-of-Smrek
    Dec. 10, 2009 2:20 a.m.

Don't be too down on your team. There's always another day, and I'm sure Saturday's game will be extremely competitive and physical. At home, your chances ar real good. Peace.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 10, 2009 4:21 a.m.

bad to see utah lose...dont like saying this but kobe is one of the all time best...surely a top 10 guy...no questions about that...hope we can get into the playoffs atleast with our injuries mounting

• FDR
    Dec. 10, 2009 6:15 a.m.

Play Koufos. I repeat, Play Koufos.I repeat, Play Koufos.I repeat, Play Koufos.I repeaI repeat, Play Koufos.t, Play Koufos. It is ridiculous, he has size, length, athleticism, skills, heart, things that we need to see and use. it is unbelievable that we have a guy with this much to help us, and we let him sit on the bench. Unbelievable.

• Cowboy Joe
    Dec. 10, 2009 6:34 a.m.

You really couldn't expect any thing less. The Jazz have only beaten San Antonio and Portland with a winning record. The rest of their wins are against losing teams.
    Look for the Jazz to lay an egg tonight and then beat the Lakers on Saturday.
    The Knicks are winning so that pick might not be that good. What a horrible scenario for the Jazz.

• schreinervideo
    Dec. 10, 2009 6:45 a.m.

This was a new low. The really sad part of this game was that you can expect more of it not only this year and next year. The time for Sloan to retire was 2007. But there's nothing wrong with the players- other than they can't stay healthy. Or play defense. Or stop star players. Or shoot threes. Or can't win on the road. Or...

• Trade
    Dec. 10, 2009 6:53 a.m.

PLEASE TRY AND IMPROVE OUR TEAM. MAKE A TRADE!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:01 a.m.

Have the Jazz ceded the title to the Lakers?

• TXexile
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:03 a.m.

A fun hypothetical: can anyone beat the Nets while shooting 34%?

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:09 a.m.

the jazz faced adversity, they handled it well for three quarters, it wasn't like the lakers didn't try to go on runs in the first three quarters, the jazz had responded with baskets, and had answers in the first three.
    at the start of the fourth, sloan should've made it a point to get boozer some easy buckets, boozer didn't have it going and the jazz should've made sure he got the ball until he gets going again, instead, boozer was getting shots that were out of rythym for him.
    also, ak and korver would've made a difference, maybe not enough to win, but i don't think the lakers put up 20 unanswered with ak or korver int he lineup.
    i still think fesenko can contribute a few minutes a game
    playing maynor with dwillmight've been something i would've tried to stop the run, once it had gotten over 10 pt lead.
    sloan brought in okur, but he didn't make a difference, so ak and korver could've been rotated in but they're unavailable, you wonder why no bakcup center with the injuries? comeon sloan .

• Utahkoke
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:27 a.m.

1ST, 2ND AND 3RD QUARTER....WHAT A GAME, THEY WERE PLAYING GOOD "Mano a Mano"

4TH QUARTER...What happened??????????

We need to trade CJ Miles, Brewer and Boozer (he is playing good just to be trade to another team)and get some D that can play with Fesenko.

IF WE CAN BEAT SAN ANTONIO, WE CAN BEAT THE LAKERS!

• frustrated fan
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:28 a.m.

It was extremely frustrating to watch the Jazz falling apart in the 4th quarter again. Why is it that they just can't make shots under pressure? Something needs to change. Otherwise, the Jazz will be remain as just a mediocre team with a 50-50 record.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:34 a.m.

I know why sloan doesn't want to call timeout during the game because he doesn't know what to talk to his team at that time. He is not the in-game adjustment coach.

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:46 a.m.

concerning the center position,
    If you think about it
    memo should only play about 20-25 minutes a game, because to maximize his effectiveness, he needs to have energy to get his shot off.
    millsap should only play center 5-10 minutes a game, because he can play the position, but hes not a center, so its not a strategy you won't see win alot of games.
    boozer shouldn't evev be included in a rotation and substitution plan for center.
    so that leaves about 7-12 minutes of time available, a whole quarter? One quarter, when whether theres memo or millsap playing, or neither, the jazz aren't effective at the position? One way to look at it, the jazz jazz seem to be able to play well for 3 quarters, the three quarters they have a center in the game.

• Nevada fan
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:53 a.m.

Great game until the boys ran out of gas. Again there not machines. They need big defensive bodies underneath. Sloan use the 12 hard fouls that you have with kk, and Fes.
    Chuck: Again I agree, and I don't think Fess would have played. Sloan would rather run his guys to death.
    Fire: Hate to say it, but I agree. This season is done! Pull the trigger.

• Houdini
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:55 a.m.

Disappointed but not surprized,we don`t have ANYONE who can cover Kobe,Artest,Bynum or Gasol,they tried,Memo and Boozer tried,they are just over-matched,plain and simple.As far as kobe,no one was able to slow him,he can score at will against us.The Lakers toyed with us,turned the fire up in the 4th and burned us.Williams,Okur,Boozer and Miles played ok...ok is not good enough against the great teams,Koufos looked big,sloppy,clumsy,out of shape.LA is at the top,we are 2nd tier team at best

• Jumbo Slice
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:02 a.m.

LOL @ Jazz 28 to 6 in the 4th!

Jazz fan = Ute Fan = a loss

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:04 a.m.

@todd-it might be time to shake up the roster, boozer could be traded, because as long as sloan is coach the team is going to play like this, what do you think?

@fdr-who do you think the jazz could get in a trade for boozer?

i'm going to implement my new substitutiona nd rotation plan

memo plays 5-7 minutes to start, millsap comes in and plays center for about 5 minutes, sub in fesenko and boozer out. fesenko to start second, millsap stays in and plays pf, sub out fesenko sub in okur, sub out millsap, sub in boozer, end of half,

• Basketballogy
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:09 a.m.

Grab your pitch forks, "fire everyone and gut the team!" Good grief.

Reality check: The Jazz were 8 of their last 10, and lost on the road to the best team in the NBA.

I thought Sloan's post game analysis was spot on:

"We have to learn to stay within what we are trying to do. You can’t go out and play street basketball against this team. They will annihilate you."

Laker defense clamped down in the 4th, exactly when the Jazz sat Deron, and the rattled Jazz lost confidence in their offense and ran it halfheartedly, and resorted to street ball.

That was more or less Phil Jackson's take on the game as well:

"That was an amazing quarter. We were able to apply some pressure, and they gave Deron a rest. They subsequently got tougher shots, 24-second violations, turnovers, and things happened for us. I think once that happened, it became like an avalanche."

In Q4, Boozer had 3 shots, none in the paint.

Okur had 1 shot in Q4, not in the paint.

The guards DOMINATED the ball, froze out the bigs, and everything deteriorated into street ball.

• Hoopster
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:14 a.m.

Is it just me or did Sloan look completely confused and disoriented every time the camera zoomed in on him?

• Sloan
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:22 a.m.

Nothing Jerry could have done when you start klanking shots from outside,completely get out of your game plan,nope this one is on the players and I doubt if 10 timrouts would`ve changed that,oh as for Koufos he looks BIG and very SLOW

• Frustrating to Watch
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:24 a.m.

I'm a fan trying really hard to get back into watching this team. I didn't miss a game last year, and so far this year I've missed a couple, just due to the enigmatic, two-faced nature of this team. Last night was so annoying, the way the Jazz pushed so hard for three quarters, and then in the fourth quarter just started settling for jump shots and not taking it to the Lakers anymore. I think the Jazz could stick with the Lakers for a full game if they would take the ball to the basket the way they were earlier in the game. In that 4th quarter, it looked like a college team (Jazz) in a half court set trying to pick at the defense. THAT DOESN'T WORK IN THE NBA. The ball needs to move and you need to get a good shot! The crap shots that the team took in the first few minutes of that quarter doomed the Jazz. Terrible quarter.

• Get to the line
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:25 a.m.

We need someone to get to the free throw line in the 4th quarter to break up the Lakers run. We have no leader. You can't shoot 20 jump shots when they obviously aren't falling. Deron! Take the ball to the rack and either draw a foul or a charge! Anything but 20 straight jump shots!

• jbra80
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:27 a.m.

One defense of Sloan: He did call a time out after the Vujakic 3 with about 9 minutes left.

Sloan does however get blame along with everyone else involved in the 4th quarter. I would put more on the players though. To score only 6 points is more about heart than any adjustment a coach can make. A few hard drives to the basket for some ft's would be a good start.

One positive from the game, Fisher went scoreless didn't he?

• Doug
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:33 a.m.

Fair weather fans can be a blight. Jazz played without their highest paid player, if you take away Kobe to even it out we would win. Insert Harpring to spank them and the Lakers would have been crying in front of their own fans.

Why all the complaints? Seems to me we have the Lakers 3/4 of the way figured out. We get them again this week and most likely in the playoffs so we are gaining (I hope).

Lakers improved when they got Artest and the Jazz improved when Boozer came back. Odom and Gasol make the Lakers nearly unbeatable, we had our chance and sad for the Lakers we get another chance.

Signs of immaturity would be crying and calling for coaching and player trades after getting whipped by the biggest of the bigs. One reason the season is so long is to get teams to come together and play at an NBA level. The Lakers have been doing that since the return of Gasol, the Jazz are still figuring things out but that is no reason to pitch the baby out with the bath water.

Fez and Koufous would have been killed in the game

• OK
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:47 a.m.

I hate the Lakers
    I think their team is classless
    I think their orginaization is classless
    I think their fans are classless

Ok now victims line up and whine

• Rookie Observations
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:55 a.m.

What no love for the super stud rookie today? Maybe all that praise went to his head. Gotta laugh about all the fans that think Matthews is the second coming. All I saw last night was a lot of running around and throwing up a wing and a prayer 12 times. He did connect twice tho. Where are the rookie lovers now that he showed why he wasn't drafted?

• IVAN
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:57 a.m.

The Jazz had no anwser for the matchup zone defense the lakers threw at them it causes alot of problems Even tougher with 3 7 footers on the floor. It is the same matchup Lute olsen ran at ARIZONA AND UNLV ran under TARK.
    Also you cannot run the flex offense if the defense is switching on every screen. You have to screen you own man so he cant switch.
    Hopefully the Make the adjustments and Make the adjustments for saturday.
    The Laker just kep pushing on offense. The jazz played to protect there lead. What a change in the game.It happen alot at all levels

• Fan
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:04 a.m.

The problem with taking the ball to the rack when the jumpshots aren't falling is that the lakers don't respect our outside shooting to begin with and they back in the middle with their two seven footers forcing us to shoot jumpshots that we obviously can't make. But, I agree something needs to change. That fourth quater was awful!!!

• Hilarious!!!!(but predictable)
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:06 a.m.

All you guys blaming Sloan.

Wasn't it Sloans system that basically had the game within two points going into the 4th quarter?

Yes it was.

Then we all watched as our PLAYERS settled for jumper after jumper after jumper after jumper after jumper.

Our supposed leader Deron Williams comes on and shoots how many shots in the 4th?

2!!!!!

How many drives to the basket did he make and try to get to the line?

These PLAYERS are successful when they do what they are told and when the PLAYERS sell out and play selfish jumpshot and defenseless basketball they are reduced to a gutless pile of rubble.

That said lets put things in perspective.

Nobody in this league (this season) can even come close to matching up to the Lakers in a 7 game series.

That just puts us in the same boat everyone else is in.

Lets all hug and get used to the reality.

Lakers rule...for now.

• Cat and mouse game
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:16 a.m.

Have you ever watched a cat play with a mouse? If you saw the Jazz play the LAKERS last night you have seen it. The Jazz were gobbled up in the fourth. It was as simple as that. I had a sense that the Lakers were just coasting for three quarters to keep things even and the game going for the fans. this always happens when the Lakers play the Jazz. Lets watch it happen again Friday. Lets see when they decide to demolish their inferior opponents.

• Idaho fan
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:18 a.m.

We got beat because L.A. is simply better than we are all the way down the roster. Even D-Will was bothered by Farmar in the second half. We won the first half, L.A. won the half that counted. We have to try harder not just trade players. Boozer has really been working hard on his whole game. Give him some credit.

To the fellow who said Kobe is the second best player ever, I would say to take a look at history. Even looking at guards, have you ever heard of the 'Big O' Oscar Robertson who averaged a triple double in one full season? Kobe has never won without a significant cast of other greats around him. He had Shaq, now Gasol. Kobe is a great player but not second best. Magic Johnson - Jerry West - Kareem - Wilt - Russel - Baylor - to name a few.

Go Jazz. Win tonight and Saturday.

• Re: Ok
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:20 a.m.

You hate the Lakers so you think their classless. The fans on the posts can be idiots but so can Jazz fans. You are just a jealous fan who knows you will never win a championship. I used t hate the Jazz with Stockton and Malone but I respected them something you could never do.

• LTV
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:23 a.m.

I haven't checked yet, but I bet the Jazz had more turnovers than points in the 4th qtr. Great defense by the Lakers caused 3 shot clock violations, and the Jazz folded like a cheap wallet...GO LAKERS...12 straight after we slap the Jazz again on Saturday!

• B.R.
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:26 a.m.

There is no question about it Fes and Koufos need to be developed. ( That means by playing.) We lack defensive power in the paint especially after our little big men are tired in the 4th quarter. Why can't Fes and Koufos get a few minutes during the game so our regulars have a little fresher legs going into the 4th quarter? Change it up a little, show them the bigs once in a while, change some shots. Good grief Jerry whats up?

• Miles
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:34 a.m.

"Hey CJ you don't need to jack up a shot every time you touch the ball! "

Best comment of the day.

The team shoots 33%. CJ shoots 50%. He should have jacked it up every time he touched it. Houdini you are clueless.

• CL
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:35 a.m.

Sloan needs to play our two young bigs and help them develope. Boozer has been playing great but he can't play effectively against tall,long PF's & C's like the Lakers have. He looked totally overmatched against Gosol & Bynum. The same thing happens against Garnett and Howard. Anybody long,& athletic Boozer struggles with. It is frustrating to see Sloan continue to sit Fes and KK and not develope them when their development is what the Jazz need. Sloan has got to learn how to develope young players and still try to win. He is so concerned about winning that he is afraid to put the young bigs in the game. It will pay off in the end if he will play the young bigs and let them develope. Okur needs to play PF against the Lakers with Fes in at Center. The Lakers are just too tall and long for Boozer and Milsap. That equals no inside game and too many forced shots, outside shots, forced passes = fast break or easy pts for the opponent.

• Miles
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:37 a.m.

CJ's stats:

14 points
    6-12 from the field
    2-6 from Downtown
    5 Rebounds (yes that is correct)
    1 Assist
    1 Block
    0 Steals

Matthews stats:

7 Points
    2-12 from the field
    0-3 from downtown
    4 rebounds (That's 9 between the 2 of them)
    0 Assists
    0 Steals
    0 Blocks

• todd from santa ana
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:41 a.m.

Jazz Cop-that sub scenario is good, the trade scenario even better but Bosh would be the best bet because he is getting frustrated in Canada.

Koustos will never get better if he plays garbage time and the point is you have to try and negate that length somehow..

WHat is upsetting Sloanites is the way this team falls apart and has no answer on the road. The fact is Jackson calls timeout down 8 rips the players and they immediately with incredible response.

Does your man have the same inpact and do the Jazz ever play like possessed like that defensively?

Why not?

• Lay off the Coolaid
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:43 a.m.

Yo Jazz Fan, lay off the coolaid. I'm a Laker fan, but I root for the Jazz as well. I think you have to give props to the Jazz. They were doing well for 3 quarters and just simply fell apart. It happens. It has happened to the Lakers as well (three times this year at least), but you don't see Laker fans calling for the head of their coach or players. Jazz fans are sooooo tempermental. You have to give the team time and recognize that the Lakers are just bigger and faster up front. I can see that the Jazz are quicker at the 4 and 5, but that the Lakers have Kobi. It would be tough to beat the Lakers and would take a massive effort. If you're facing one very tough week, wouldn't you want to save it for home? I would. I hope the Jazz rebound and I even hope that they beat the Lakers. Of course, Jazz fan will still be fickle, but somethings never change.

• Just Can't Understand It
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:46 a.m.

Look at the Lakers 3 years ago. Who did they have-Kobe, Odom, a young rookie center Bynum, now look- They have 5 players that could start if needed that no one in this league could touch. Start Kobe @ PG, Artest @ SF, Odom, Bynum, and Gasol up front, wow what a team. How did they do it? Gasol was given to them, and Artest decided he wanted to get a ring and Houston got nothing. 2 great players for nothing, how do they do it? I guess it really doesn't matter but I guarantee you all that this team is unbeatable barring any severe injury bug. It hurts to say that but just look and wish we could be so fortunate.

• RE : Rookies
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:48 a.m.

Did you watch the game? lots of our players were throwing up " a wing and a prayer" why pick on only Matthews ? you sound like "miles"

• Basketeballogy
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:49 a.m.

Sorry if this is a repeat, it wasn't clear if it took my comments last time.

For those obsessed with blaming someone, at least blame the right someone(s). Check out the shot chart for Q4:

BIGS: 0/5
    Boozer: 0/3, no attempts in the paint.
    Okur: 0/1, no attempts in the paint.
    Millsap: 0/1, no attempts in the paint.

GUARDS: 1/9
    Matthews: 0/6, 2 attempts in the paint.
    Williams: 1/2, no attempts in the paint.
    Brewer: 0/1, no attempts in the paint.

In Q4, the Jazz as a team were 1/14, with only 2 shot attempts in the paint.

What is worse, the bigs weren't getting the ball, much less getting the ball in the right places to be effective.

The main culprit was rookie point guard Wes Matthews, who had NO ASSISTS in 33 minutes of play, and who took more Q4 shots than Boozer, Okur and Millsap combined.

Matthews played foolishly and selfishly, and made the Lakers defense more effective than it actually should have been.

• cvlfan
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:54 a.m.

Classless is the perfect description of most Jazz fans here. As was expected the Jazz gave the Lakers a very good game through 3. LA has too much talent and depth to keep in check most games. Playing Sloan's system kept you in the game. It's when you got out of your game you lost- turning a great and very winnable game into a laugher. You've got us again at home in a few days and I'll predict you bring us down to earth in that one. I still say you've got a solid team and are certainly much better than an 8 seed. I think you should be a 3 seed but will get about a 5.

• Had the game for 3 quarters????
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:57 a.m.

Saying we had the lAKERS for the first three quarters is sadly mistaken. They were just playing around with us. When it came time to finish the game they took us to the street. Sloan was clueless. Jackson who sits there with an amused look is decorated with Championship Ribbons!!!!!

• Sokol
    Dec. 10, 2009 9:58 a.m.

All of the so called pundits that reap praise on Sloan are crazy. Sloan does not know how to be creative, inspiriing or be efficient. CALL A FRICKEN TIME OUT YOU FARMER. Sick of wasting my time with these Sloan-O'Connor teams....the two of them should be fired...
    Who thinks Okur can guard anyone? Our one advantage, Williams never attacks the whole game, he just sits back doing nothing. We ought to ask for our money back from Millsap and the useless always injured Kirilenko....Kirilenko gets injured more than Oden or Camby...What a waste of a 100 million dollars..
    Our only chance would have been Fesenko, but of course the Jazz geniuses would not have played him.

• heh8meN1
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:03 a.m.

It's funny how people call Kobe just a "Good" player because (at this time) he's not the in the TOP 5 OF ALL-TIME. That in and of itself, speaks volumes to such logic. The only 2 players before MAGIC and BIRD that get included in the top ten conversation are WILT & RUSSELL.

TOP 10 (by position 1 & 2nd team)
    PG. 1. Magic 2. Stockton
    SG. 1. Jordan 2. Bryant
    SF. 1. Bird 2. Dr. J
    PF. 1. Russell* 2. Malone
    C. 1. Kareem 2. Wilt

* Russell really was a PF. But if he were to be placed in center position he would be 3rd. And Duncan would be second best PF, while Malone would be 1.

THERE IS NO SINGULAR "BEST OF ALL-TIME". They are all greats. Once one reaches this level of "greatness"- it's just a matter of preference.

• LA can be beat
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:07 a.m.

with a small line up. HOU showed how to beat LA last year in the playoffs. Maybe Sloan should have watched some film? He does not have Brooks and Scola. But he gets paid 5+ million to come up with something that works better than his same old tired system that the Lakers know how to defeat with little effort.

The problem is with Sloan and the organization. They put this team together and insisted that it was a world beater. They had to know it could not beat LA.

This is what you get from "Continuity". The team last year could not win on the road and could not beat LA. Why would it be any different this year.

The whole organization from Sloan up is afraid (refuse)to make the changes that have to be made.

Sloan and his system can beat weak teams (most of the time) but they consistently lose to good defensive teams because Sloan's system can't consistently beat good teams.

I am sick of losing. Losing needlessly. Dump Sloan and move on. He is an cement collar around the team.

He can be replaced with an innovative coach who will win.

• hahaha
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:10 a.m.

I hate the jazz

• Street Ball
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:20 a.m.

Sloan always complains when the team loses it is because they did not run his system and started playing street ball.

No body in the media will call him on it. The Jazz stop running the system because it stops working when the LA defense stop it from working.

Sloan did not give them plan B to fall back on so they only have their own improvisations.

Sloan only has one approach. He knows it does not work against good teams if they play inside defense. However, he is not about to make a plan B that could win games. He will insist on losing if he can't get his system to work.

It is always the players fault. "They did not execute". Well when the system fails (as it often does) then what are the players supposed to do? Sloan won't call a time out. He has no adjustment to make as he has no alternative plan.

I have never seen an organization as deeply in denial as the Jazz (well maybe GM). They delude themselves into thinking all is well and they are a good team.

You have nothing to lose by replacing Sloan.

• Laker4Ever
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:25 a.m.

It looked like a J.V. team against Varsity in the 4th Quarter. See you again on Saturday.

• cvlfan
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:40 a.m.

Malone ahead of Bill Russel and Tim Duncan? Ummmm.....NO

• MISNOMER
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:43 a.m.

The LAKERS toy with the JAZZ and then b slap them in the 4th Q.

The JAZZ are simply a B LEAGUE team.

GAME OVER.

• Cali Marty
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:44 a.m.

Lakers will win this year as well....
    Kobe & Company.....wrecking Crew

• louisiana jazz man
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:46 a.m.

the reason we hung in there 3 quaters we hit the out side shots. most nights cj is good for 2 shots then misses 6 before being yanked. last night he kept them in the game but 4 quater missed but kept shooting mathews hit nothing and sloan said mathews is the best defender NOT . if we could hit the outside shot we can play with anybody but we caint. if boz plays anybody any good he is shut down. there is a reason why most teams have 2 7 footers . lakers have three. we had okur

• Answer
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:55 a.m.

Sloan has no answer to the LA match up zone because he chooses to not create one. He has 20 years of NBA coaching experience and has seen every defense and know how to break each one.

Adleman knows how to attack LA. The front line of Hayes, Scola and Battier can't be better than Millsap, ?, and AK. The ? is the problem. Even if Boozer plays C instead of Millsap. Utah should be able to do what HOU does to LA.

I give Boozer credit for trying but the Sloan system is not capable of beating LA (except on rare occasions).

DWill is not as fast as Brooks but both he and Brewer are fully capable of attacking LA inside if there is enough space (no outside shooting).

Some rag on Mathews for shooting outside in the 4th but if you CAN'T score inside you have to open up the inside. Sloan set up the players for defeat by not creating a game play that had a prayer of beating LA.

Look at Adleman's game plan. Utah can implement it.

Fire Sloan it is 5million well spent.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:56 a.m.

How could they score only 6 points in the fourth quarter? A freakin' high school team could have done that well!

• PLAY FES AND KOUFOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dec. 10, 2009 11:17 a.m.

WHY DO THE JAZZ NOT PLAY THEM??????????
    WE NEED MORE SIZE AND MUSCLE INSIDE.
    We have 6'8" Paul Millsap guarding 7' plus Pau Gasol
    that makes sense.

• cvlfan
    Dec. 10, 2009 11:24 a.m.

Go ahead and try Adleman's game plan, he hasn't ever beaten LA in any meaningful series.
    Sloan is not your problem. He's your advantage. LA is just loaded.

• Spazz
    Dec. 10, 2009 11:36 a.m.

How pathetic is that. An NBA team who is supposedly comprised of "Professional Players", being totally intimidated by another team. I don't care if it is the Lakers. I live here in SoCal and I listen to ESPN radio, (who is all lakers) all of the time.
    If the Spazz had half the determiantion and half the confidence as the Lakers, they would be a 100% better team.

Yes, I am a very disappointed Jazz fan.

• jbra80
    Dec. 10, 2009 11:49 a.m.

" "Sloanaholics" I think no one here blames Jerry completely for the loss, it was on everyone together as a family that boarded the plane and coming back."

Well Todd, read the comments on here and you can see that everyone is dying to blame Sloan for the loss. I am glad that you realize this one just isn't on him. The players got hit in the mouth and didn't respond. I don't care how good the Lakers are (and they are really good), you have to fight back.

Also, to everyone saying Jerry needs to call a timeout, he did and it did nothing, in fact it got even worse after the timeout. And to say Phil Jackson called one and look what happened, well they have Kobe who will take that challenge. By the way, anyone who has watched Phil Jackson teams knows that he has the same philosophy as Sloan on timeouts, he likes his players to play through the trouble. Problem is our players don't respond to either.

• When it comes to anything sport
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:01 p.m.

Utahan's cannot face the facts, they are just not that good. They live in a bubble of excuses. They swear by Utah and BYU football, they swear by the jazz. Face it People, the jazz are not good!!!

• alyce
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:10 p.m.

I am blind and count the radio to listen to the Jazz games. I have no idea who has the ball, who scored, what the ball movement, etc. Locke does not even do the comercial so I can understand what he is saying. Thanks to Hornacek I have some semblance of the game.

• fes and kufus
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:13 p.m.

couldnt have done any worse.

• Sokol
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:40 p.m.

Why does Jazz brass have the audacity to keep the status quo and never attempt to try and bring a championship to Utah? I think O'Connor and Sloan
    need to walk the plank and be fired.

• Basketballogy
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:54 p.m.

@Street Ball, Answer & other "Fire Jerry" guys...

I don't want to offend anyone, but perhaps you guys ought to take some more time to actually learn what the Jazz are trying to do offensively before you criticize it.

The Jazz don't need a "plan B," because plan B is built into the offensive system. If one thing is taken away, then other things are supposed to be available and the players are supposed to take advantage of those things. Sloan is right when he says the players need to execute it.

I too am a HUGE fan of Rick Adelman's offensive coaching. In 17 full seasons of coaching, he only had 2 losing seasons, and were it not for him continually running into Phil Jackson's buzz saws, he would have more to show for his career I'm sure.

What people are overlooking in this loss...

Is that for once, it wasn't the Jazz defense on the road that floundered, but their offense.

That's actually a good thing because once they get Matthews straightened out, it should do fairly well.

• cvlfan
    Dec. 10, 2009 1:02 p.m.

I'm just curious as to who Jazz fans think would do better as coach in Utah? The best thing your franchise has going for it is stability at the head coach position. The problem is you do too well and don't end up with great draft picks. Being a smaller market you don't have the revenue or location to bring in the better free agents.

• cvlfanny
    Dec. 10, 2009 1:39 p.m.

Asking who would be a better coach than Sloan is like asking who would be a better play by play caller than Locke. Answer: anyone you can actually understand. My personal pick for replacing Sloan? John Stockton. I can't think of any Jazz favorite that knows the mental aspects of the game and what it would take to get us to the top.

• What ?
    Dec. 10, 2009 2:17 p.m.

Is This? PLAY FES AND KOUFOS JERRY or we will do what ever it takes to get you fired. We've had enough and we can't stand your egotistical, bias, idio syncrecies any longer. WE NEED A COACH!!

• dr
    Dec. 10, 2009 2:18 p.m.

Now I'm not blaming the refs, but from the first few zero contact calls that sent Kobe to the line, to the no calls of the Lakers draped all over Jazz players, it became evident where we were playing. I watched and froze the picture on my DVR of the first call against Matthews on Kobe. At least a foot of air between the players with the ref looking at the same angle, waiting to blow the whistle when the shot rimmed out. The ref that went to prison for fixing games has said the problem is more prevalent than known. 19 to 31 fouls give me a break! I'm sorry but it's getting a bit like pro wrestling. You guys that preach Kobe is the greatest or second behind Jordon need to acknowledge that these guys get an extra step, grab, hold, walk, palm the ball, and go to the foul line if anyone gets around them. Combine that with 35 to 40 shot attempts gives them a huge advantage. The Jazz never had a chance!

• B.R. @ Miles
    Dec. 10, 2009 2:33 p.m.

Good observations Miles. Soon all the C.J. smack talking know it alls will be silenced.

• Sneaky Jimmy
    Dec. 10, 2009 2:39 p.m.

There are no answers people. Lakers are bigger, stronger, faster, smarter. Koufos can barely stumble and Fez needs oxygen after a trip up and down. The Jazz are probably about the 10-12th best team.

• cvlfan
    Dec. 10, 2009 2:54 p.m.

Good coaches have jobs. Former superstars- I consider Stockton one- don't necessarily pan out as good coaches. Look at Bird, Magic, MJ, Isiah Thomas. Their coaching careers were less than stellar, yet they knew the mental aspects of the game. They expect out of their players what they would put into it, and they don't usually get it. That's what separated them from the others during their playing days.

Be careful what you ask for. You might end up with a guy that won't take you anywhere but will piss off your superstars and lead them to demand a trade.

• Jpop
    Dec. 10, 2009 3:10 p.m.

At least the whole game could've been as competitive as the first three quarters, thats all that matters, make some buskets whens they do, thats all.

• lucky
    Dec. 10, 2009 4:05 p.m.

to win any games with cj. mathews. manyard. shooting the ball every time they touch it. but caint play kufus and fes because ? make too many mistakes . out of shape. but stick those 3 in and give them the green light. sweeeet

• die hard
    Dec. 10, 2009 4:39 p.m.

AND WHAT DID YOU EXPECT WHEN THE PLAYER OF THE WEEK CAN'T PLAY 'D'?

• Everyone
    Dec. 10, 2009 4:49 p.m.

Hates the Lakers because when you play the Lakers you also have to play against the refs. The officiating was all Love for the Lakers last night. Until Kobe is out of the League you can almost pencil them in the finals because of Stern's love affair with Kobe "the rapist" Bryant. And until Sloan is no longer the coach of the Jazz we won't see the Jazz play for a title. Sloan had and I repeat HAD an effective system. But he doesn't have the fire and passion to coach any longer. He is slow on his subbing and his strategy is laughable. He doesn't develop players he makes them rot on the bench until their love for the game is gone. By the way MAYNOR is awful beyond awful. He had a few fluke games but he is probably the worst shooter the Jazz have ever had. He is a Jason Hart/Brevin Knight clone.

• Miles: Loser
    Dec. 10, 2009 4:54 p.m.

back 3 games,we`ve lost 2 of them,bottom line Miles is a loser

• Mark
    Dec. 10, 2009 5:00 p.m.

I am not sure why we are all surprised at what happened in the 4th. This team does not have what it takes to win on the road. Last year and a recent loss at Minnesota give evidence to that. I am a Jazz fan, but am so disappointed. This is just more of what we saw last year. There is no reason to be excited about this team.
    Sorry, just calling it how it is.

• plyxply
    Dec. 10, 2009 5:06 p.m.

there really is no chance for the Jazz to ever expect to beat the Lakers with the current roster. If you could pick up one legit shot blocking center then they have a chance but not before that. The Lakers are just that much better than the Jazz. Utah has to play their best game and hope the Lakers aren't playing as well as they did last night to have a chance. The Lakers are better definitely, but one piece to the puzzle could put the Jazz on that level.
    Remember the Alamo!!!!

• Miles
    Dec. 10, 2009 5:48 p.m.

is a bum! Trade him and Miles

• Help!
    Dec. 10, 2009 5:52 p.m.

I'd have to agree with the disaster of Maynor and Matthews trying to prove themselves and show their stuff. They've both had a few good outings, but still very green and won't be consistent for some time yet. They got too much build up from the press now they think they are hotshot regulars. Hopefully Ak and Korver will be able to insert some stability soon!

• Hotdog
    Dec. 10, 2009 5:58 p.m.

Wesley Matthews thinks he is in tight and can do no wrong. Since when is a player allowed to throw up shots at will every time he touches the ball. It was sad to see him try to be a star! All those interviews and publicity have overhyped him and he's believing it!I have one word for him "hotdog"! No he certainly didn't lose the game single handedly, but he didn't help either.

• sloan
    Dec. 10, 2009 6:17 p.m.

i think that sloan is too old to even care about the game anymore. He really needs to retire. he wasn't doing anything to stop the lakers run in that fourth quarter. you would think after a team starts to get momentum you would call a timeout to cool them off a little bit. the jazz are trying to play through it, and it showed last night.

• BigJazzgfan
    Dec. 10, 2009 6:35 p.m.

Once again Boozer make no difference.

What a waste of money.

Get a REAL star bigmen, or atleast one that is longer and will play defense.

• Jazzsmack
    Dec. 10, 2009 6:45 p.m.

Some one asked who you would trade Boozer for?

I believe last summer they could have gotten Okafor.

and consiuder the the bad signeings and trades, and the overlooked draft picks,

and with lottery picks this coming summer they would be on the road to a champiomship,

or simply get rid of Oconnor, and his horrible drafts and signing,

and get someone who can recoginize talent and potential.

The number of players, in just recent history, they have missed out on is startling,

al jefferson and cp, opkafor are a few that come quickly to mind.

And please get rid of sloan,

since he is the most responsible for personal and playing decisions.

and Occe again he shows he can NOT game time coach, he is unable to make adjustments or inspire the players.

he simply has one tool a his system, and his negative voice, very limited indeed.

• todd to cvl fan
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:24 p.m.

Sloan is irreplacable, greater than Jackson, greater leader, better person, tremendous motivator, tactician, father figure and leader.

That sounds as silly as your logic. "sloanaholic"

Unfortunately, what happens with the Jazz inconsistencies and the perception of excuses why they will never go anywhere is simple "the fans (except my adminstration and I will add Sokol who I have not seen inawhile--welcome back) ALLOW IT AND REFUSE TO TELL TRUTH TO GREG MILLER.

I guarantee, if I lived in Utah, I would have a very and I mean very high profile and get this issue out much more openly than is being hidden under the covers now.

• Think again, Deron
    Dec. 10, 2009 8:28 p.m.

They have one big run where they go unconscious," he said, "and they did that again tonight."--Deron Williams

It was more about the Jazz than the Lakers. Jazz 2-18 in last quarter, Lakers 7-22. 7-22 hardly unconscious.