Utah Utes football: Bowl game a shot at redemption

Comments

• Utes are better than 25
    Nov. 29, 2009 10:33 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I think the Utes are better than #25. They played the Cougars very close. Yes, the Cougars deserve to jump up a bit, but the Utes shouldn't have fallen below #23.

• MiP
    Nov. 29, 2009 10:44 p.m.

Nothing fixes a nagging loss like a bowl win.

Go Utes!

• MWC - another classic year in 09
    Nov. 29, 2009 11:32 p.m.

Following up on last season's BCS busting season, the MWC can be proud of having three solid top 25 teams-proving once again-it superiority over both the ACC and the Big East.

Agree that Utah and BYU are both legitimate Top 20 teams with all but one of their losses coming to Top 10 teams (TCU + Oregon). Only BYU's still baffling loss to Florida State mars the conferences OOC schedule.

• just one
    Nov. 29, 2009 11:47 p.m.

How many touch downs did the Utes have in the game against BYU?

• RE:MWC - another classic year in
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:36 a.m.

How is a top 25 finish make Utah a top twenty team? I think what the poster meant was he was happy that we have three teams in the BCS top 25.

• RE: RE:
    Nov. 30, 2009 1:35 a.m.

I think he meant that the Utes are underrated. Did Utah really deserve to drop four spots in the poll by losing to another top-20 team on the road by three points in overtime? This just goes to show the bias of the voters in the polls. The consistently drop a non-automatic qualifier farther in the polls than an automatic qualifier after a loss. In my opinion, there still never has nor will there ever be a National Champion in Major College Football until a more-inclusive playoff is instituted. As long as it is determined by the court of public opinion and not by actual results on the field, no one can ever make me think otherwise.

• Robert - St. George
    Nov. 30, 2009 4:01 a.m.

I am a BYU fan but I will be rooting on the Utes to win their Bowl Game. Its important to them, their fans, and our conference that they win.

• BYU
    Nov. 30, 2009 4:38 a.m.

Over rated..........they'll get beat again in Las Vegas. And Motor Mouth Max will vent his hatred towards his opponents once again, and our Commissioner will turn and look the other way and not reprimand him. Go figure!

P.S. I'm neither a Ute or Cougar.......I find it interesting that any other MWC did what Max Hall did, he/they would be suspended. Even after an apology.

• sheldon king
    Nov. 30, 2009 5:19 a.m.

Sylvesters comments that he "hates losing" are an insult to losers everywhere. Such disparaging remarks and strong language about those who do not win is inappropriate and should be reviewed by the conference at once. Sylvester should be reprimanded, if not suspended, for the Utes upcoming game.

• Y Grad / Y Dad
    Nov. 30, 2009 6:13 a.m.

I think that what "MWC - another classic year in" meant is that after Utah demolishes another bowl opponent, they will end up in the top 20.

Here's hoping that BYU will do the same.

• urn tables
    Nov. 30, 2009 7:07 a.m.

told people that utefans needed humbleing. did they humble? nah. BYU has reedemed itself. and utah needs to redeem. tables are turned...

• 3 out of 4
    Nov. 30, 2009 7:52 a.m.

The Utes get last year. Yep, Kruger is still open, open enough to get a great interception for Baltimore last night. Other than last year it's 3 out of 4 baby with 3 phrases that will be remembered for years:

Harline is still open
    4th and 18
    and the new entry into Ute-Cougar smack talk
    Andrew George is still running

• Reality
    Nov. 30, 2009 8:08 a.m.

If the Utes want to win a bowl game the offense needs to show up before the fourth quarter and the stupid penalties need to end. The defense played their guts out at byu, but the offense lost that game. BTW, The Utes only beat one team all year with a winning record. They're probably ranked about right, maybe to high.

• Coach
    Nov. 30, 2009 8:23 a.m.

I take it all back...Bronco is a genius, Whittingham not so much. The Ute's looked more like a poorly coached high school team against the Y, and that strongly suggests poor pregame preparation!

• ediddy
    Nov. 30, 2009 8:54 a.m.

Forget the Utes need to be humble. They'll either get it or they won't. I'll be cheering for them in their bowl game, but what is needed id for the Cougars to find some dignity in winning. Max Hall embarrassed us all. He was classless in victory.

That said, I was once a Utah fan. Went to school there like my father before me. Actually know the words to the fight song which is more than most Ute fans can say. My loyalty finally changed when I could no longer tolerate the fan actions at RES. I deplore Max Hall's classless diatribe, but ironically, his frustration with Ute fans is well based. When I could no longer take my kids to Rice stadium without spilled beer, foul language and physical confrontation, I became a Cougar fan. I know Utes won't like it, but you have earned a reputation that casts a shadow over all.

• Cali Coug
    Nov. 30, 2009 8:58 a.m.

Hopefully the Yewts will not disappoint us in their Bowl Game. I would hate to see them get beat by a PAC-10 team, again. How could you lose to OU? Please don't lose to Cal or SC next month...

• who cares?
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:03 a.m.

Outside of TCU, there is little to no talk about the MWC. Yes BYU and Utah are good programs, but how come nobody mentions New Mexico, UNLV, Wyoming, SDSU, Colorado St and yes, even Air Force when comparing the MWC to the ACC or Big East? A conference isn't only the top teams, it is every team. That is why the MWC struggles in comparison. Add Boise.

• Bowl Champion Utes
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:10 a.m.

We expect another bowl champion Ute team, along with 39 other bowl champions by mid-January, including a mythical, opinion-poll selected national champion. Bring on the playoff and prove it on the field, instead of us always playing teams who don't want to be there, who wish they had been the chosen ones for the title game. Money has corrupted college football.

• words words.
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:15 a.m.

sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me. Did you Ute fans never learn that one?

• 5 out of 8
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:31 a.m.

5 out of 8

• No bowl win for u
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:39 a.m.

OVER-RATED! (Clap clap clap clap clap!)

U guys are going to lose your bowl game, too.

• re: BYU | 4:38 a.m.
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:55 a.m.

"I'm neither a Ute or Cougar.......I find it interesting that any other MWC did what Max Hall did, he/they would be suspended. Even after an apology"

They have - they didnt - get over it

• Enough!
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:17 a.m.

I did my undergrad at BYU, graduate work at Utah, and I have heard enough! People, please grow up and let's take the venom out of the rivalry. The rivalry in the 90's used to be a lot more fun, and a lot less venomous. Now, it's getting ridiculous. Enough from both sides, please! Grow up people!

• Re: words words
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:18 a.m.

The fact that words will never hurt me doesn't give you loudmouths license to say whatever you want.

I remember six years ago when Morgan Scalley called BYU "a bunch of [expletives]"......we're STILL hearing about that from the clueless Y throng. Maybe you should ask your own fanbase the same question.

• Bowls
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:21 a.m.

The only bowl that matters to me just happened in LES and the end result is
    1. 3 out of the last 4 baby
    2. Another rip your heart out lose dealt to the u
    3. Another tee shirt slogan, George is still running!!!
    Ticket to LES $50 dollars, watching the u fan melt down after the game (PRICELESS)

• 3 out of 4...
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:26 a.m.

is irrelevant cougar fans. We are 5 of 8. Or we could talk all time program wins in the rivalry.
    Give it up. You won a great game. Next year will be a different story.

We need all MWC teams to win their bowl games.

• jlhazlewood
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:27 a.m.

The game was nitty gritty. BYU and UofU defenses were awesome. I was disappointed with jawing on both sides and some illegal hits. I thought I was watching the BYU and UNM soccer game for a few minutes there. Both teams need to be congratulated for gut-level playing. The negative comments on these boards show just how much some of us have not moved on in our lives.

• Don't
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:36 a.m.

take your obnoxious classless fans with you to Boise for the bowl game. They will kick your fannys out of town.

• utha u
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:40 a.m.

is a nice third tier mwc team. Hope they get another patsy so they can keep that bowl record intact.

• Re: BYU
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:55 a.m.

"I find it interesting that any other MWC did what Max Hall did, he/they would be suspended. Even after an apology."

Exactly, just like Scalley or Kruger were for their similar 'hate' comments. Oh wait. . . they weren't suspended.

Stop seeing things with a double standard Ute Fans.

• BEER....
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:56 a.m.

Once and for all people, there is NO BEER sold as RES. Stop saying you keep getting beer spilled all over you when you go to a football game there. It is not sold there. You must be going to Jazz games and think it's at RES merely because it's in SLC.

Educate before you pontificate.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:02 a.m.

One out of two, three out of four, three out of eight. The constant in the three wins is that BYU has needed to pull off an extremely unlikely play to snatch victory from defeat, with two out of the three wins in Provo. I'm pretty sure these two teams will play each other on next year's schedule in late November, in Salt Lake City. On a modern football field where the difference in team speed will be even more glaring than ever, instead of the cow pasture they played on Saturday afternoon. Go Utes.

• akk
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:06 a.m.

Max Hall is an embaressment... If BYU doesn't suspend him they are too. If having players like him is what it takes to win. Then I have to say winning isn't that important.

• who cares
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:27 a.m.

it the king of the ant hill bowl anyways!!

• 3rd place
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:45 a.m.

Hey yewt fans how's the view from 3rd place? Again?

• RivertonCoug
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:49 a.m.

To utha u. First of all, learn how to type. Secondly, if beating Alabama is a patsy, then I wish BYU would get a patsy as well. We lose to Arizona (please!!) and should have lost to UCLA (please!!!). Utah is beating Alabama, Louisville, etc. BYU will never get more respect until is gets back to solid bowl victories. It has been a while since we beat a quality team in a bowl game (I think the Cotton bowl was the last decent win)

• 5 of 8?
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:51 a.m.

Hey yewt fans, you're selective "5 out of 8" stat means very little since you are choosing to selectively include the awful Crowton years from 2002-2004 in there. Well, maybe that's the only way u can feel better about your little program. The recent trend now that BYU has their ship righted is much more relevant, and that would be the most recent 4 years. BYU has won 3 out of the last 4 and that's what matters most. Or if you want to be selective then let's look at your win-loss record against BYU since 1970. Yeah, u probably don't want to go there.

• Rick78
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:51 a.m.

I am a BYU fan and bleed blue, But Utah played a better game Saturday, we were lucky to win it and I will take a win no matter how ugly it is. We made more mistakes but Utah was caught more offen by the ref's. I hope the Ute's win their bowl game and I will be rooting for them. I also think Max should do some community service in the Ute locker room, handing out towels and what not to make ammends for shooting his mouth in the heat of the moment.
    Go Cougars, and please win the bowl game this year.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:52 a.m.

Utes don't lose bowl games. Hopefully it's against a challenging team.

• BEER...
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:58 a.m.

Stop begging the question- there is BEER and other alcohol inside of RES, whether it's sold or not (plastic flasks, rum and coke, anyone?). Anybody who has stood within five feet of the Utah student section can affirm this simple fact.

I don't think Max made this up. I know for a fact that the most vulgar, and bigoted comments I have ever heard at any sporting events come from Utah fans at RES. I did my grad work at a Pac-10 school and never heard anything remotely as trashy as I have heard at the games at RES.

The sad fact is that some minority percentage of U fans are great. Unfortunately, the majority of their fanbase is made up of BYU haters, anti-mormons, and people who glom onto the university because they believe it stands for partying and sticking it to the (mormon) man. These are the Ute fans that are horrible, and good Ute fans should recognize this.

• Re: Beer
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:01 p.m.

Nobody has ever said it was beer bought from the stadium.

It really isn't that hard to sneak something into a stadium, and it happens at every stadium I have ever been in. Simply slide it up the sleeve of your hoodie, or in the back of your pants covered by a jacket, or maybe under a blanket. There are many ways to get things into the stadium. I have personally seen beer at LES, and if they can get it in there, I would bet they can get it into RES.

Think before you pontificate.

• Dave
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:05 p.m.

As a lifelong cougar, you seriously have to give the Utes some credit for their string of bowl wins. And for those of you who want to say it's only because of the "patsy" teams they have played, go talk to Alabama who could very well be playing for the title this year.

And no, I am not a troll, we just need to give credit where it is due, I can honestly say I wish my team had this type of bowl record.

• Cougars!
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:08 p.m.

Do linebackers wright and stevenson realize that although they don't lose bowl games, as seniors they are 1-4 against the cougars. What a legacy, boys!

• Searce
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:23 p.m.

To: BEER / 10:56 a.m.

I have no doubt in my mind that fans smuggle beer into RES. I would have, when I was a student there and was in the U of U marching band. I would have probably brought it in in my trumpegt case. I didn't think about it. I don't drink, but might have brought beer in, if it was not allowed to have it in there, just because I would want to show it could be done. And yes, I might have even thrown beer onto some BYU fans, if I had a chance, not thinking about the consequences that might follow. I was very immature then. U of U was my school, & so I disliked BYU. Now, since serving an LDS mission, and attending BYU, taking classes towards receiving an advanced degree & other desired classes, I have come to love that institution (BYU). There is a certain spirit there that is not at other schools, which I feel and love. I cheer for both schools except when they play each other, then I cheer for BYU. I like the U of U, but love the spirit that is present at BYU.

• No Bowl will redeem you
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:25 p.m.

Sorry, but you showed poorly in Provo. I and many other Utah fans are disappointed with the coaches and team.

• re: 3rd place
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:52 p.m.

Looks about the same as it did for the mighty Cougars last year.

If Utah is in 3rd like BYU was last year, that must mean BYU finished 1st and is headed to the BCS like Utah did last year....oh yeah, my bad. Guess I won't ask you how the BCS feels.

• utwingnut
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:52 p.m.

Maybe the "Holy War" should take a two year break to let things calm down a bit. Instead of playing each other for the next two years they should schedule another OOC game with the same school. Just a thought. Things are getting out of hand.

• re: BEER
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:58 p.m.

Funny that only RES is getting hammered after what took place Saturday night.

Turn a blind eye Cougs. That's what you do best.

• re: Searce
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:59 p.m.

Is that the same love and spirit that Maxie displayed Saturday night?

• BYU Grounds
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:59 p.m.

Nothing wrong with people drinking adult beverages, big problem when they pour it on you. Nothing wrong with friendly trash talk, big problem when you call a man's wife and threaten to kill or maim him (that's also called a felony). Nothing wrong with celebrating your team's victory, totally "classless" to celebrate the rival's loss. (Beer spit in the face of BYU players, that's just stupid anywhere!)

• re: BYU Grounds
    Nov. 30, 2009 2:15 p.m.

I agree with you completely.

You forgot one.

Nothing wrong with storming the field after beating your rival in OT. Big problme when your fan wants to take pictures of Whit's young daughters because they are crying and ends up hitting Whit's wife in the face.

Guess you forgot that one. Would expect nothing less from Cougar fans.

• Re: Rick78
    Nov. 30, 2009 2:32 p.m.

How does being down 14 points in the 4th quarter and having a lucky comeback to force overtime mean the U played better? It only makes sense that if a team is down 20-6, they are getting outplayed. Utah was very lucky to come back and force overtime, simple as that.

• Airwolf
    Nov. 30, 2009 2:50 p.m.

Utes conference finish the last 5 years.....2009-3rd, 2008-1st, 2007-tied for 3rd, 2006-tied for 3rd, 2005-4th......Dynasty?????????
    BYU conference finish the last 5 years......2009-2nd, 2008-3rd, 2007-1st, 2006-1st, 2005-2nd......Winners!!!!!
    National Finishes...BYU 2009 - ?, BYU 2008 - 21, BYU 2007 - 14, BYU 2006 - 15, BYU 2005 - Unranked.....National Power
    Utes 2009 - ?, Utes 2008 - 3rd, Utes 2007 - Unranked, Utes 2006 - Unranked, Utes 2005 - Unranked.....National Wannebe

• utesugar
    Nov. 30, 2009 2:56 p.m.

8 Straight bowl wins in a row for the utes longest in the nation.. let's hope Byu can pull there weight this year and show up for are confrence and get a bowl win.

• blah blah blah
    Nov. 30, 2009 4:09 p.m.

Good luck Utes in your bowl game. Good luck Cougs in your bowl game. Aggies, we still don't care about you.

Go Frogs, Falcons, and any other MWC team in a bowl game. All for one, or something like that...

• Re: re: BEER
    Nov. 30, 2009 4:15 p.m.

"BYU fans seem to ignor the fact that Kyle Whit's wife was hit in the face by a BYU fan on the field Saturday. The BYU fan was trying to take pictures of his little kids who were crying with his cell phone. When asked not to photograph them, pushes were exchanged and K Whit's wife was hit in the face by the BYU fan."

That's a somewhat different story than the one she told on KUTV's Talking Sports on Sunday night. Interesting.

KUTV could put this controversy to rest if they just posted the video for all to see.

But then people would also see someone who had no swollen lip or marks or blood on her face.

Oh, and in a football stadium anyone can take pictures of you, even if you don't want them to: The courts have repeatedly recognized that there is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

• BYU Fan who also likes Utah
    Nov. 30, 2009 4:52 p.m.

Go Utes! Make it nine Bowl wins in a row!

GO BYU! Please don't play stupidly so you can win your Bowl game this year. It is kind of embarrassing to look at your Bowl win-loss record (9-17-1).

• Boise Fan
    Nov. 30, 2009 5:39 p.m.

I have been to RES and know for a fact that there is BEER there!!!!!

I'll stay with my Broncos.

I would never ruttttttt for a Ute football team!

• BleedCougarBlue
    Nov. 30, 2009 6:48 p.m.

Any BYU fan who claims that Utah is a bad team is in la-la land.

I love my Cougars as much as anyone else but to say that Utah sucks is beyond stupid.

One big thing that opened my eyes as to the talent in the UofU football program these days is their win/loss record in bowl games and games against ranked opponents (looking at those stats within the last 10 years or so).

I love BYU to death but our win/loss record against ranked opponents and in bowl games in the same timeframe is really nothing to boast of.

So, as football fan who calls the state of Utah home, I sincerely hope the UofU wins their bowl game and so do my beloved Cougars.

GO BYU!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2009 7:14 p.m.

Thank Hall, you just guaranteed byu a big time lose in whatever bowl you go to. you team mates will not play for you...............

• Ahhhh
    Nov. 30, 2009 8:37 p.m.

Boise....I love you.

See you all in the Bowl Game!

• Redemption?
    Nov. 30, 2009 8:48 p.m.

There is only one source of redemption and it is not the Bowl Committee. The only source of redemption is to be your arch rival.

Try again next year.

• Hope
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:22 p.m.

whoever you play in Boise doesn't have tight ends. You guys cant cover them. Harline is still open. OOps George just slipped by your senior stars!!!

Oh well you were just rebuilding this year.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:43 a.m.

How many catches did pitta have?

• RE: Redemption?
    Dec. 1, 2009 3:24 p.m.

You mean the only redemption is to BEAT your rival.

But the Utes did not do that.

Try THAT again next year.

• ANSWER
    Dec. 1, 2009 3:25 p.m.

Dennis Pitta had enough catches to break the all-time reception record at BYU, and to beat the Utes.

That's all you need to know.

• Re: anon:
    Dec. 1, 2009 3:28 p.m.

Two more than you, fool!

• Hey:re beer
    Dec. 1, 2009 3:30 p.m.

Did you want to say you are sorry for misrepresenting what happented to Mrs. W. Turns out she wasn't punched after all bue caught in the middle of a scuffle cause by a UTAH supporter!

Have a beer and say it: I'm sorry!

• Bowl game win
    Dec. 1, 2009 3:32 p.m.

not nearly as important ask whipping the U again 3 of 4, and 2 of three for MAX. He owns U!

• Re; Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2009 3:34 p.m.

How many football games did U win saturday> Two less than the number of passes Pitta caught.