BYU football: Cougars begin bowl preparations

Comments

• AK Cougar
    Nov. 29, 2009 9:53 p.m.

Too bad the MWC does not have an agreement with the Holiday Bowl. BYU when in the old WAC made that bowl. Utah, Wyoming, SDSU all got a chance to go and it was awesome. The Holiday bowl is one of the best bowls outside of the current BCS.

Go Cougars and Go Utes. Win any bowl game you get.

• If. . .
    Nov. 29, 2009 10:40 p.m.

If BYU plays Arizona again, then that means we will have played them every season since 2006. Crazy possibility. I'm hoping for USC. That by far would be the most exciting chance for the Cougars. To be able to play the Trojans and have a chance to beat them. . .wow, if that does not fire them up, I don't know what would bowl wise. Of all the teams in the Pac-10 who would you rather play? I think USC is the obvious choice.

• None of
    Nov. 29, 2009 11:17 p.m.

USC, CAL or AZ are going to be easy.

• Monsieur le prof
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:42 a.m.

None of these teams is going to be easy. They all have fine football traditions and great athletes and will be up for the game. The Cougs are going to need a lot better concentration and execution than they showed Saturday to defeat any of these teams.
    Fortunately, they have time to recover from their injuries, heal, and prepare before then. We seem to have a hard time in the bowl games. Maybe it's the long layoff that makes us less sharp.

• MiP
    Nov. 30, 2009 1:21 a.m.

In most years it's kinda sad for the MWC conference champ to meet the PAC-10 #5 or #6, but this year is different. With TCU likely headed to the Orange or Fiesta, that leaves BYU (10-2) and Utah (9-3) to play against a slew of talented teams. Oregon State, Cal, and Arizona would all be worthy opponents (my guess is USC and Stanford will be picked up before the Vegas or Poinsettia bowls can select).

Personally, here are the match-ups I'd like to see, both rematches from a year ago:
    Oregon State vs Utah
    Arizona vs BYU

Certainly if USC is available, that would be a great chance for the conference to shine.

The Utes are one of the few teams to own a bowl win over USC in the Carrol era, and though it was his first season I'm quick to point that fact out to all of my cougar buddies. And you know what?...it was in the Vegas Bowl.

• Cougar Breath
    Nov. 30, 2009 1:22 a.m.

I think it would be nice to have a change of scenery in the poinsettia bowl in San Diego. But if we go to Vegas, we get the better opponent and we get more money, and its an easier traveling destinations for fans.

• RE if...
    Nov. 30, 2009 1:48 a.m.

"wow, if that [playing USC] does not fire them up, I don't know what would bowl wise."

Fans throwing beer?

• Going to the Bowl
    Nov. 30, 2009 2:00 a.m.

Whether it's the Poinsettia or the Las Vegas Bowl it doesn't matter. We'll be there for our 5th consecutive bowl. I just hope Bronco takes full advantage of the extra practice time alotted to bowl game preparation to get BYU ready to win another bowl game and as a head start to breaking in a bunch of new players for next season.

Last year was a bit of a downer for fans and players. Nobody seemed very excited about the bowl game.

This year seems to have a whole different attitude and I fully expect BYU will be very well prepared for whoever they face in their bowl.

GO COUGARS!

• Dennis
    Nov. 30, 2009 7:26 a.m.

Once again on the national stage BYU will embarass both the institution and the State in another bowl game.
    Big thumbs up a month in advance.

• Winning Records in bowl games
    Nov. 30, 2009 7:28 a.m.

take the game you get and just win baby, just win.

• Doesn't Matter
    Nov. 30, 2009 7:31 a.m.

Bring em on. Go Cougs! Go Utes. It's about the conference now. Most of all, GO TCU! We have to get this BCS system busted down completely. It stinks that they play for 10s of millions while quality teams from the MWC play for peanuts in the non-BCS bowl games....against 4-5-6 place teams. It's wrong!

Of course, we need to beat those 4-5-6 place teams as well.

GO MWC! (Nice apology Max. Nice to see you man up and clarify that you were directing at loser fans..who exist on both fan bases!)

• Prepared
    Nov. 30, 2009 8:40 a.m.

Now that Max has the Utah Monkey off his back he will be able to settle in and have a big game whomever they play against. Go Cougars!

• Who cares?
    Nov. 30, 2009 8:46 a.m.

Thanks, to Max "the Fall" Hall, I don't care who they play. I will be cheering for the other team. Try not to cry max and take losing better than you treated winning.

• Our chances
    Nov. 30, 2009 8:58 a.m.

Both BYU and Utah's chances to win are based on the Pac-10 5th and 6th place team being disappointed for not finishing higher. We need better bowls than to play 5th and 6th place teams. I guess we can "brag" win we win those big games though.

• Re: Dennis
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:00 a.m.

Nice try troll. BYU was won 2 of it's last three bowl games...

I hope they don't get Arizona. I'm sick of that match up. AZ is good, but I just don't care to see us play them again. USC, Stanford, OSU would all be cool games.

• Brilliant Dennis
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:04 a.m.

Once again, on the national stage, BYU embarassed both the yewtie fans and their so called mighty team.

• to Dennis
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:11 a.m.

Oh, I'm sorry - did we just beat your team?

Yep, BYU sure looked bad against Oklahoma in the biggest TV game for MWC this year ...

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:28 a.m.

Wherever they go, they should go with Max on the side line. After his tirade on Saturday, I have lost all respect for him.

• USC fan
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:41 a.m.

We don't care were we will go we would crush any MWC team period end of story.

• BlueBoy
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:45 a.m.

Max's mouth was hotter than his arm. Too bad. Had it been the other way around, BYU would have won handily and no controversy would have happened.

Let's hope Bronco's learned enough lessons that he's able to prepare this team properly for a bowl win, instead of learning another lesson in a loss.

• Ideal matchups
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:48 a.m.

If Cal stumbles against Washington, any chance of the Golden Bears going to Las Vegas? My preferred choices for the Cougs and Utes are:

LV: Utah vs. USC or Cal
    Poinsettia: BYU vs Oregon St, AZ or Cal

I think a USC-Utah match-up would be better for the MWC because both teams play well in bowls, and Utah has better athletes to counter USC future NFL players. And wouldn't the downtown casinos and restaurants in Vegas stand a better chance of making $$ with Utah fans in town?

• Moe
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:53 a.m.

It's time to forget the Max comment. The man was simply defending his family following the heat of a competitive game. Go-TCU, BYU, UTAH, AIR FORCE, & WYOMING.

• RE: Dennis
    Nov. 30, 2009 9:55 a.m.

Dennis, grow up. What BYU does doesn't reflect on Utah and vice versa. What BYU does reflects on BYU and what Utah does reflects on Utah. Why don't you try just being happy for your own team instead of trying to put down BYU. Your attitude is pathetic! The Bowl games are no longer about battling each other, so it's time to drop it and realize we are all on the same side here now, the MWC!

• royal blue
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:01 a.m.

I think we should keep the royal blue jerseys. They look so much better and stand out much better than boring navy blue.

• Re Brilliant Dennis
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:08 a.m.

Embarrased? A tie in regulation, in an away game isn't embarrasing. And your mighty Max was almost outplayed by a freshman.

Good game from both teams

Go Utes, get the 10th win

• RE: AK COUGAR
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:08 a.m.

Not so fast! Utah never played in the Holiday bowl.
    The first bowl they attended after going bowing in 1964 was the now defunct Copper bowl. Fassel lost his job for not getting the Utes to the WAC's premier bowl. Long term Ute fans regret not having the chance to go the the Holiday bowl, but are exceeding happy to be a part of the Fiesta and Sugar bowls.

• LOYAL Cougar
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:29 a.m.

Go Cougars AND Max Hall!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:37 a.m.

Where is Bronco Mendenhall in all this controversy. He is noticably absent from showing any leadership. Also, it seemed odd that someone would say that the bowl game is all about filling seats. I think the emphasis is all about cash, not honoring the players. When it comes right down to it, its the almighty dollar.

• Cynic
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:38 a.m.

Re: Anonymous

Sorry, you already had your shot at putting Max Hall on the sidelines Saturday. He apologized for his unsportsmanlike comments, which many Cougar fans didn't approve of. He'll be leading BYU on the field in the bowl game. How happy would you be if people threw beer on your mother?

• Arizona Dave
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:38 a.m.

I'm a long time BYU fan. I live in Utah in the summer. I have heard many fans from other Mountain West teams say how bad they were treated by UTAH fans. Even Wyoming fans don't like to go to Utah.

Now does that tell you something about how classless
    Utah is. Several people I know have told me that the
    hate and drinking at Utah games are very bad.

So what I see is out of control Fans at Utah. Not all BYU fans are all that good either, but I have never heard of anyone having Beer poured on them.

GO Max

• Carl
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:39 a.m.

Back when I was at the Y the rivalry was a fun thing. Pranks were done to get laughs. It is the sportswriters who have, over the years, whipped up the frenzy by attempting to make a big deal out of nothing. Gotta have something to write about, I guess. Now that the on-line columns are opened up to bloggers all the juvies, trolls and nasties can have their say and the rivalry is not fun anymore. A few fans have gotten completely out of hand.

• Please start
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:40 a.m.

Nelson. Send a message to the world that BYU does not tolerate what Max did. Max threw his team and school under the bus. Consequence=start Nelson.

• got my tix to Vegas
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:45 a.m.

I just bought tickets to the Las Vegas Bowl so I hope BYU goes there, but if not, I'm glad it will be the Utes, either team will be fun to see there.

• Why do the Utes
    Nov. 30, 2009 10:49 a.m.

• Shecky
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:11 a.m.

Hey...it was nice to see BYU playing in their REAL colors, instead of dressing up like the Aggies. I guess now that this will become something of a 'special' uniform like Notre Dame and the green jerseys they wear when they need a miracle. By the way...why do the Cougars have a three stripe pattern on their pants and jerseys and a two strip pattern on the helmets. The two stripe pattern looks much better than the overly busy three stripes. So much for football fashion. Hope the Utes and Cougars both have bowl games and win. Please wear the right blue in the bowl game.

• AZ Coug
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:19 a.m.

I root for the Cougs and the PAC 10. The PAC 10 is the most competitive football conference this year. The top 5 teams in the PAC 10 are in the BCS top 25 and Arizona is only slightly out of the rankings. A matchup with any of those teams would be awesome. I would rather hang in SD, so here's to hoping for the Poinsetta Bowl.

• MWC commissioner
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:33 a.m.

I find it truly pathetic that the best the MWC commissioner can negotiate is the MWC 1st or 2nd place vs. PAC10 5th place? What a joke. It is a lose-lose for the MWC. How about matching up with the best representative from the WAC? or even an at large team from any other conference. But to lock in the 5th place team from the PAC is just plain ridiculous and embarrassing.

• Cougar
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:38 a.m.

Why are we only being considered for these bowls? BYU should be in a BCS bowl and deserves a chance to play for the national championship.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:40 a.m.

I'd bet tds goes to Vegas and gets destroyed by USC or Stanford while the Utes go to San Diego and play Cal or UCLA.

It will become clearer after Oregon & Oregon St play Thursday and the USC/Arizona Saturday.

• Probably Stanford in LV Bowl
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:40 a.m.

Unless the Poinsettia bowl could get Boise State, BYU should go to LV. They'll get a higher ranked team, but probably not USC, Oregon, or OSU. Either Oregon or OSU will be in the Rose Bowl, and USC or the loser of the Oregon Civil War game will be in the Holiday Bowl. We're probably looking at Stanford.

Any PAC-10 team will be tough to beat but BYU has a decent record against the PAC-10. Should be a good game anyway. I would hate to play Oregon, though. They'll have a good memory of the whuppin' BYU laid on them last time.

• wyoming fans
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:52 a.m.

I live in Wyoming and fans here hate BYU with a passion, and would love to see BYU lose every game they play in- BUT, many of them are starting to dislike the utes more in recent years, primarily due to Whittingham's antics a few years ago, but also because they've had some bad experiences at RES themselves.

I don't condone what Max said, but it's about time the issue gets out in the open. The problem is that it will probably be even worse for BYU fans next year.

• $$$
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:58 a.m.

It's all about the bowl $$$. Tickets, T-shirts, Bowl gear. BYU fans are tired of Vegas. They aren't excited about traveling down again.

Look for Utah in Vegas and BYU in San Diego.

And look for Utah Fans to be continuely posting as BYU fans asking Bronco to throw Max under the bus.

• 25th Anniversary
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:32 p.m.

I think it would be cool to complete the 25th Anniversary of the 1984 National Championship to have BYU play in the same stadium that they won their final game of that year. Is Michigan bowl eligible this year?

• BYU alum and Oregon Doc
    Nov. 30, 2009 12:59 p.m.

RE: Why do the Utes...always get invited to a worse bowl than BYU unless the BCS is forced to take them? Why don't bowl games like the Utes?

Well because there are at least 1000x more BYU fans in and around the city of Las Vegas, then there are Utah fans. The same can be said for any city outside of the state of Utah. Fans of the little sister in SLC will always have a hard time with this little morsel: BYU and its respective fan base is bigger than the state of Utah. Utah is a decent consolation prize for all of you who received BYU rejection letters, though. Go Cougs, Go Max, Go home Utah.

• BYU to Vegas
    Nov. 30, 2009 1:16 p.m.

Please, Tina. You want a team with honor to play in your bowl. The Utes are a joke. Our team is well-behaved in every way and our fans will fill the place. No one should ask the Utes - let's boycot them and leave their dirty players and fans home watching TV!! Actually I think the Coogs could play in both the Vegas and San Diego games. They are good enough.

• Predictions
    Nov. 30, 2009 1:46 p.m.

USC would be great for either team to play, but I predict they will win this coming weekend and not be available. Oregon and Oregon State are the top two and will be gone. Stanford will be gone, because suddenly they are a hot team and will get selected. So Arizona and Cal seem the likely opponents for the Utes and Cougars. Both bowls are great locations for all four teams, so I don't think it really matters what bowl the teams go to. I would actually like to see the Utes play Arizona and BYU play Cal. Does anyone know if there is a different payout for these two bowls?

• BYU fan
    Nov. 30, 2009 2:27 p.m.

I think we need to let all of the honky tonk go between BYU and utah and focus on getting ourselves a bowl game victory for once! They've had a regrouping season this year and we all know that their team only gets better the longer the quarterback's been playing. And I'm sick, I mean SICK, of all the utah fans bragging about how they've won two big BCS bowls in the last four years, won eight consecutive bowl games, and won the national coach of the year award last year. To me that's nothing! I would take a consistant sencond place victory in the MWC over there success anyday! Plus we won the nation championship back in 1983! Beat that! Now lets go get ourselves a win and leave the this lame BCS hype where it belongs...at the U. Plus red's an ugly color anyway! haha

• cowboy
    Nov. 30, 2009 3:06 p.m.

Go cowboys and BYU, Utah, airforce and really get it done TCU. The mnt com needs to look very hard at crowd and fan control period. It is out of hand all over and seems no one can go without calling some kind of name. 'WHY are we matured in our football knowledge or just plain juvenile in life.
    If you use foul language, throw stuff at opponents,or refs fight you should go to jail, pay a large fine and never be allowed back into another game. College or Pro sports are a family intertainment not what a few make it to be so lets get rid of the foul vulgar folks and bring in the families. Every School needs to get the fan thing in hand NOW! or someone needs to go to jail because much of what is done is criminal. Public schools owe the public that and private school owe their supporters that too THAT: a safe and sane place to cheer and support a team of their choice

• ramper
    Nov. 30, 2009 4:00 p.m.

It takes a 32 member panel to decide which schools to choose? That is a lot of darts to be throwing in a small room.

• Knocking on Vegas?
    Nov. 30, 2009 4:06 p.m.

People knock on the Vegas Bowl but there is a reason that it goes to the MWC Champion. (Which this year is BYU by proxy since TCU is probably going BCS Bowling). The Vegas Bowl has the highest Bowl payout for any MWC team at $1,000,000 and BYU has the privilege to keep going there. I think the Poinsettia Bowl pays half that. . .or at best $750,000.

• BillyRed
    Nov. 30, 2009 5:31 p.m.

Anybody but AZ! I had never before seen such classless fans as those that attended last year's Vegas Bowl. My family was taunted walking into the stadium. I had always admired their basketball fans and assumed it was a classy school. Not so much.

• re knocking on vegas
    Nov. 30, 2009 5:38 p.m.

What about last year?? utah goes to the sugar bowl.
    Byu finishes 3rd after getting smoked by both utah and tcu. Following your reasoning tcu finished 2nd in the mountain west and should have gone to Vegas.

• re:usc fan
    Nov. 30, 2009 5:40 p.m.

Ha ha big win against stanford again this year! yup you sure tore it up! everywhere you went like washington and oregon and even at home against stanford! Well done!

• AZ Coug
    Nov. 30, 2009 5:48 p.m.

I love the Ute fans that pose as BYUer's and say that BYU should play for the national championship. I also love it that some of the fans still say TDS like they remember Urban Meyer. The little sisters to the north (LSN) should show more respect to Bronco, who has become their daddy with 3 of the last 4, and his team.

• AZ Coug II
    Nov. 30, 2009 5:52 p.m.

LV bowl or Poinsetta would be great. Those who say the 5th place team in the PAC 10 sucks has not been following the PAC 10 this year. It will either be Cal or AZ who have both been hanging in and out of the top 25. That hardly suckes. PAC 10 is up this year any any team that beats them in a bowl will get a feather in the cap.

• AK Cougar
    Nov. 30, 2009 6:02 p.m.

Sorry I missed and thought that Utah was actually in the Holiday Bowl. I guess they are not as good historically as I thought they were.

After the BCS rankings came out last night and BYU at #14, I thought the BCS has dubs on BYU. They will get released to a the Las Vegas Bowl or San Diego Bowl anyway. Can't wait for the pairings that come out next Monday.

• Don't worry Utah
    Nov. 30, 2009 6:41 p.m.

You still have women's gymnastics.

Scoreboard: BYU 26 - Utah 23

• TheHailstorm
    Nov. 30, 2009 6:49 p.m.

Well , back to the Dust Bowl. Why not help your program and quit embarrassing the MWC and actually win one. Maybe you could have Bronco's stirring fireside another night and start Riley.
    I'm pretty sure Max doesn't want to show his face and get creamed, again, and again, from a team that read of his Hate Mail !
    Max your a real jerk , but not even I can say hate to another.

• Boyy
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:22 p.m.

Utah fans must have short memories. During the Bronco era, the Y has won every bowl game except last year.

Keep holding on to your bowl record, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I always hope the U wins their bowl game (it brings more respect to the MWC). But don't be surprised if your sitting at home on Christmas with a bowl winning streak of 0.

I am still waiting to hear any Utah fan express where they hope to go bowling. Just a few weeks ago you were talking about upsetting TCU and then creaming the Y and possibly making it to the BCS. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I think I see Andrew George still running with Utes chasing him. 26-23

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2009 6:45 a.m.

Location doesn't matter. I'd rather have a good matchup.

• Re: Boyy
    Dec. 1, 2009 11:48 a.m.

As a Ute fan with little money I would like to see the utes go to the vegas bowl so i could attend...
    congrajulations on your very classy win by a very classy team. and to all of you Byu fans i would much rather go to a BCS bowl once every 5 years than consistantly be really good and get 10 wins every year. BYU will never under Bronco go undefeated but they will always have high aspirations and be in or close to the top 25 almost every year....YAY!!!

• @ boyy
    Dec. 1, 2009 12:10 p.m.

I don't remember any Utes chasing George. The only Utes in the picture tackled each other and were watching George walk into the end zone.

As for 1 BCS game every 5 years vs 10 win seasons each year, I beg to differ. The U did the MWC well by getting to the BCS and winning big each game, however, I think a winning season each year means more at the end of the day.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2009 5:51 p.m.

Stick to the old "Royal Blue"!!!!!! (it's lucky!)

• USC fan | 9:41 a.m.
    Dec. 1, 2009 8:35 p.m.

Bring it SC fan. I want SC vs. BYU.

• Cougars Fan
    Dec. 1, 2009 10:14 p.m.

I would like to get some revenge on arizona after giving that game away last year. But playing usc would be exciting and intruging as well. USC, Cal, or Arizona would all make for a quality matchup. I dont think oregon or oregon state is in the mix both those teams will finish in the top 3

• To TheHailstorm
    Dec. 1, 2009 11:58 p.m.

You need to join Dennis as co-poster child in the, "Max was actually right," campaign. You can also help out in the "name Utah honorary second place," campaign so you can prove how great the 2009 Utes really are by beating USC.

• BleedCougarBlue
    Dec. 2, 2009 12:52 a.m.

Hey yewties, isn't Robert Johnson in the picture above your super-stud Free Safety who was supposed to single-handedly clobber BYU's offense?

I mean, that is him over-pursuing Andrew George AND missing the tackle as George is hauling in the game winning TD pass in OT.

That is the correct Johnson, right???????

Just checking......

• BleedCougarBlue
    Dec. 2, 2009 12:58 a.m.

I gotta admit that playing USC would be awesome!

Sure would be great to add a win over USC to our records books. Would be a tough, tough game.

GO COUGARS!!!!!!!!!

• Mike
    Dec. 2, 2009 7:28 a.m.

What about a BCS bowl for more money for the Mtn West? Anyway we can hold off to fill the top 14 spots for the BCS bowls?

• L D Gammon
    Dec. 2, 2009 4:10 p.m.

I don't care who yoy Zoobs play you will lose anyway but before you do I'd like to see max laid out on the field a time or two.