Utah Jazz: Team wins in San Antonio for first time in 10 years

Jazz finally put end to decade-long dry spell in San Antonio

Comments

• Kyle
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:13 p.m.

Woo hoo!!! good job Jazz!! This is the best news I've heard all day!

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:14 p.m.

Great relief to get the monkey off our backs in S.A. Give the devil his due -- Boozer's contribution was crucial at the end.

At the same time, beating a Spurs team without Parker and Ginobli is no cause for getting overconfident. We caught some luck tonight with both of them out.

• Ak Fan
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:14 p.m.

Yeah baby. Sweep SA?

• geezer
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:14 p.m.

I remember the last time they won in San Antonio; that was way back when I had all my teeth. Now I just gum my jello or mac and cheese. Go Jazz

• todd from santa ana
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:15 p.m.

It was a "very depleted" San Antonio, Still it is great to get that 23 game including playoff streak end. Finally!

If nothing else a huge hurdle block has been lifted. I have to say this was a good team win, really everyone contributed, although Maynor had problems tonight. I would have been upset losing to a depleted squad, but now getting some road wins.

I realy really hope this buds well for the future and now a good homestand coming up.

Boozer came through big and I am happy that he seems to be making a better effort at least body language that is making "some attempt" to play defense.

• Amen to the Curse
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:16 p.m.

Who cares the Spurs were without Manu and Tony Parker. This was HUGE

• jazz man 98
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:26 p.m.

Jazz are turning it around. End of the month, 11-6 wait and see. Probably even to 14-6. Keep it rolling Jazz, way to end the streak.

• Beavis
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:27 p.m.

Can't believe we beat them in SA. 2-0 against them this year. Parker and Ginobli play, we lose. They shoot better than 20 something percent from the field, we lose. Still feels good though.

• BIG MONKEY CALLING
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:27 p.m.

WOW, IF THIS ISNT A HUGE MONKEY OFF OUR BACKS I DONT KNOW WHAT IS, NICELY DONE JAZZ!

• glad to see a win
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:29 p.m.

I am starting to believe in the Jazz. I am also starting to believe that he Jazz have readjusted to Boozer in the line up. Millsap came thru tonight also. The Jazz are good when DWill, Booz, Sap and AK all play well.

The depth makes a difference. SA may be getting old?

• jazz man 98
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:29 p.m.

By the way, we didnt have memo, cj, or korver so we were equally depleted. So I dont want to hear this depleted spurs excuse. You know what they say about excuses.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:29 p.m.

The jazz aren't the healthiest team out their. We're missing our starting C and SF, backup PG and SG, and the toughest player on the team (Harp).

It's debatably whether those five players are as important as Manu and Tony, but I don't care because we won and the spurs lost.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:31 p.m.

Does anyone else think Koufos looked heavier than he did last year? He's noticeably heftier than last season. Maybe that's why Sloan isn't playing him. Get in shape and get minutes.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:32 p.m.

Nice to Amen. It's NBA with or without some player you have to compete Nobody will give you slack.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:36 p.m.

Hey win is win why somepple whining about depleted team. Even with Paker and ginobli this SA team isn't good just too old.

• TIE GAME IN THE FOURTH
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:39 p.m.

Going into the fourth the game was tied. Jazz still

pulled it out in tough place to play.

• Win is a Win
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:44 p.m.

Parker, Ginobili or not, it will go down in history book as a Jazz win, end of story. And it's a road win! The Jazz have lost to depleted teams before, this time around, they stuck to their guts and beat a nemesis for the second time. That's great news for evryone in the Jazz camp. Did I hear confidence builder?
    Hey give Carlos Boozer credit!

• jazz man 98
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:47 p.m.

I agree, the jazz seamed really tight early in the season. It was like booze, and paul felt like they needed to put up big numbers due there contract situations. Now they are just relaxing having fun, and winning. Ak is playing much better to, and the rookies dont hurt. Cant wait for the shooters to come back.

• nomoresloan
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:55 p.m.

NOTICE HOW THE JAZZ START TO WIN GAMES WHEN SLOAN IS FORCED TO START GUYS DUE TO INJURIES THAT PEOPLE COMMENTING HERE HAVE BEEN BEGGING FOR HIM TO PLAY MORE FOR WEEKS. COACH SLOAN YOU ARE A JOKE!

• WOW
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:55 p.m.

Hey no one wants anyones head on a platter, JAZZ must have won......... Good game Jazz you did the basics and did it well, and executed what coach told them and you played good solid help Defense, good game fellas it was great to watch tonight, we have seen flashes of this but only for three quarters, its fun to watch you play all four...... I can't wait to get the whole team back and watch them get in sync.....

• feels great
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:08 p.m.

to see the team clicking the plan, winning vs. spurs, showing some freaking emotion on the court. boozer - in every way, shape, & form - appears to be a new man. he sounds human & happy. good for him. good 4 us.

• Still no love
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:12 p.m.

I have not watched one minute of one game since they lost at home to Sacramento, and I do not intend to watch another game all year. No forgiveness for that one. I am a former Jazz fan. I was happy to see they finally won in SA, at least that ridiculous streak ended. No love from me though, this team lost a fan when they played the worst team in the league at home and blew a 16 point lead. IT is just a matter of time until they do that again.

• Ugly Win
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:25 p.m.

I will take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day. Now they can come home and we can enjoy the home wins. Before the home wins were tainted because the team had no heart on the road but these guys have heart.

This game will not have a pretty box score but what is most important to you box score or wins. I get alittle tired of empty stats.

It reminds me of a comment Charles Barkley made a few years ago when TNT was showing a losing teams dunking high lights. He told them to turn it off they would show some high lights when the team got a win.

• Bob2
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:31 p.m.

This win brought out some very funny writing.

"This "buds" well for their future."
    "The Jazz stuck to their "guts"

An amazing win and some amazingly bad writing. Ya gotta lurve it bee bee.

• to: still no love
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:32 p.m.

and how does that feel, married to the hate? more fun to love the wins than hate to lose?

• @Still no love
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:40 p.m.

Yes I was also upset big time about the SAC loss. However, they seem to be turning things around. They may win a couple that they would normally lose and make up for the SAC loss and the HOU loss.

This SA win would normally be an automatic loss, at SA and a back to back. I will take it as a make up for SAC.

I really hope the Jazz win the next 10 games or so. They should be capable but we will see.

When Korver gets back and hitting well, his FT shooting at the end will be worth a win or two. CJ can light up some nights and also play defense some nights.

As long as Sloan plays winning combos and keeps winning I am trying to cut him slack. I like winning. His system works well unless it is disrupted or one or more Jazz players slack. Sloan has enough quality depth to sit slackers if he will do it.

The Jazz should start climbing in the standings. If they beat POR later this month they should be considered a contender.

• it was fair
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:46 p.m.

we were missing korver, cj, price, and most importantly, memo. they were missing parker and ginobli, that makes it fair game in my book. Good win!

• Defense?
    Nov. 19, 2009 11:00 p.m.

Is it possible? The Jazz played good defense against San Antonio, in San Antonio?!?

Oh Yeah! Go Jazz!

• Bankshot7
    Nov. 20, 2009 12:32 a.m.

The Spurs window has slammed shut and the Utah Jazz window is just starting to open. The Spurs have been a thorn in our side for many years and now we can stick it to them. I honestly believe the domination has changed hands. I only hope our Jazz can win a few championships along the way. Go Jazz!!

• jimbo
    Nov. 20, 2009 12:35 a.m.

Great road win.

Boozer, it appears has finally got it. He is playing with emotion, making the extra pass (6 assists I think) and playing Ok D. I am sure he is playing to land a big contract next year, or a trade, but it is a win win situation for him and us. I almost wish he wanted to be here.

Okur, is a good team player. Has a nice attitude and is an offensive spark. Also the closest thing to Dirk Nowitski the NBA has to offer. However, as of late,I am not missing him. It is apparent we need Defense. Either Fes or Kofous should be on the floor at all times. Okur needs to play the same position as Dirk-PF. Leave center play to Fes and Kofous. I would really like it if sloan would try that combination.

Kirilenko, in my opionion was as key in this win as anyone. He made key shots and really provided an energy boost. It is almost like watching AK of old. Unlike Ak of old however he now has the best 3pt% on the team (last I checed). Makes for very entertaining basketball.

• Re: Still no love
    Nov. 20, 2009 12:47 a.m.

Wow, if you really hate the Jazz now, then why are you reading the articles and posting on them nonetheless. Get over yourself. NONE OF US WANT TO HEAR IT.

• Sloan haters...and miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 1:33 a.m.

Boy tough nite for you clowns,we win again!!! todd and miles,you have to hope we lose to prove your point...you`re not really Jazz fans

• Rexburg Jazz Fan
    Nov. 20, 2009 1:39 a.m.

I really like what I see right now, and the reason why is because the Jazz are finally starting to play the way I knew they were capable of playing. Ever since the pleasant surprise discovery of Matthews and Maynor the whole squad has played well and more importantly, played unselfishly. Let's hope that once Okur, Korver, and Miles get back it won't disrupt the rythym that they've established. GO JAZZ!!

• Sloan haters...
    Nov. 20, 2009 1:42 a.m.

Boozer averaging 18/11,Millsap 10/6,not bad from our "washed up power forwards" ...Great time to be a real "JAZZ FAN"

• Anonymous
    Nov. 20, 2009 6:51 a.m.

There is no "asterisk". Don't be ridiculous.

• louisiana jazz man
    Nov. 20, 2009 7:17 a.m.

he owes it all to boz and williama? 21 points williams 18 points boz what about millies 20? millie pulled the defence second half. boz missed i think 6 lay ups but he played harder. but atleast give millsap a mention at 20 points. not he owes it to boz and williams. if boz and williams played the spurs i dont think they would win. HOW YOU DOIN

• re:sloan haters:
    Nov. 20, 2009 7:49 a.m.

One thing about Sloan is he is consistent. Someone will not go fill up his coffee or not salute him as he enters the locker room and they will be benched for a month, so don't go getting all giddy. He is about himself and this will not last. Still need him gone big time. All this shows si the players can play through it.

• Doc
    Nov. 20, 2009 7:50 a.m.

Wes Matthews knocked down Tim Duncan instead of giving him a layup. Little things like that have been missing on this team for years.

Also Matt Boner was sent in to floor Stockton. But Stockton got up and continued to play instead of whining about it. I am seeing a little more toughness. Toughness is contageous.

Memo, Korver, AK and Boozer are not really the definition of toughness. You put a man like Matthwews in there and he can provide some physical and mental toughness and it kind of catches on.

• Doc II
    Nov. 20, 2009 7:54 a.m.

I said Stockton. I meant Williams. It kind of seemed like Stockton last night. Williams was really a tough leader last night. Even Booz was playing tough (for Booz that is). It wasn't like Maurice Lucas or Buck Williams or anything, but we'll take it if that's all we've got.

• These same "Depleted" Spurs
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:06 a.m.

Were good enough to take the 9-3 Mavericks to OT in Dallas the night before, so how "depleted" were they?

Jazz were also short-handed. Bottom line, in sports you gotta win with who steps on to the floor or field.

Enjoy the win!

• Contender?
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:07 a.m.

Contender for what ? 8th place in the playoffs and a 1st round sweep exit at the hands of the Lakers. Some contender.Thats if they even make the playoffs .

• Miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:13 a.m.

It's about time that the team decided they wanted to play basketball. Took them til the 12th game of the season to do so.

Fes, Matthews and Maynor combined for a total of 5 points in 47 minutes of play.

Brewer decided to show up and AK has been playing excellent basketball so far this year.

My question is: Where has Millsap been all year?

• Laughing Matter
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:23 a.m.

Sure Doc....let's get rid of Memo, Korver, Ak and Boozer. Matthews can handle it all by himself! What a laugh you are to try to diagnose the Jazz.

• Memos Stat Line
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:39 a.m.

Did you see it?

He was sick at home with the flu but his stats were still almost as good as if he had played...afterall the game was on the road.

• @ Miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:42 a.m.

You clearly do not understand the game. You should find something else to do with your time!

• Doc
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:45 a.m.

Wialliams sets TONe in San An-TONe! Maynor, Mattews and Fess all contributed to the win, but the "Starters" did the heavy lifting last night.

• C-Booze!!!
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:46 a.m.

I don't understand why Deron was going to Millsap down the stretch in the 4th quarter.

Afterall he is our new go to guy right?

Sure Millsap scored 20 (for a change this season) but there is a big difference between scoring 20 down during the course of a game and scoring on almost every possession in the final 4 minutes of the 4th quarter.

This team will drop into the abyss after Boozer leaves.

On an unrelated note..now you know why they call them rookies. Here one game and gone the next. They didn't make too many mistakes but at the same time our two rookies did not make a showing like they had. Maynor had a couple of nice assists though.

AK is sick right now and I mean that in a good way. He had his hands all over that win..deflections, steals, hitting jumpers to spread the floor, and crazy assists to help his team mates.

We are not even in that game without AK's play throughout the game.

I love seeing more and more of the old AK. Sure beats watching Miles log 25 minutes/game with 1 rebound!!

• C-Booze
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:47 a.m.

meant to say "was not" going to Millsap in the 4th

• Houdini
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:58 a.m.

6-6,awesome record,

• Too bad
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:59 a.m.

People like No Love only hurt themselves. And SACTO won four games in a row after playing here, so maybe they aren't the worst team in the league -- we can all hope that the Knicks are and remain so because of the upcoming draft.
    Last night's was a fun game to watch and a real thrill for Jazz fans, so having one less fan didn't hurt us, it hurt him/her.

• GoodGuyGary
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:03 a.m.

"Well," the Jazz coach said, "it was nice from my standpoint to get a win in this building before I die."

I found it very funny.

Also, wnning ont he road in NYC and SA are huge for the Jazz. Hope these are good signs that we will do good on the road this season.

Go Jazz!

• Utah Jazz Fan
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:03 a.m.

I hope several of you so called fans didn't go to school in Utah. It really gives our education system a black eye. Let Jerry coach, sitting in front of the TV drinking a beer doesn't qualify you to give advice to a hall of fame coach. Maybe they should have an IQ test before allowing someone to blog. Go Jazz.

• Am I wrong?
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:06 a.m.

I didn't see or listen to the game.. but judging by the score, there was a lot of defense played by both teams. Are the Jazz starting to play defense?

• Cowboy Joe to Doc
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:06 a.m.

I guess I missed Stockton playing last night. When did the Jazz sign him?

The Okur extension was the dumbest thing O Connor could do. Memo has peaked and is on the decline. They could have signed him for 6 million if they had any patience. Way to go KOC you win the worst GM award

• Whats up Doc?
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:10 a.m.

How the heck are ya? Hey it's no laughing matter. The young rooks have shown some toughness and desire no question about it. It seems to have helped wake up two of the 4 softies you mentioned. I still haven't seen much toughness from Memo and I'll wait until Korver gets back to full strength before I evaluate his softness or toughness which ever it might be. The toughness of the rookies has definatly rubbed off on the the team as a whole. Peace out.

B.R.

• @ still no love
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:15 a.m.

I was upset at the loss to the Kings as well. But SAC is not the worst team in the NBA right now. SAC is actually tied with the Jazz in the standings and is in the playoff picture (were the season to have ended yesterday). Having said that, the Jazz still should not be losing to them.

• @ Laugh........................
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:16 a.m.

diagnoses are not funny. Sometimes they are very disheartening.........very sad! I think you should make an appointment as soon as possible. I do not like what I can see from this angle. The Jazz however seem to be making progress. The rooks have really provided a lift.

• Whoa- Wait Before Celebrating
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:23 a.m.

Most of you are getting giddy over a very sloppy played game by both teams. D-Will still forcing the play, not letting it come to him, Brewer casting up bricks(only scores on dunks), A.K. wanting to show he's a three point threat(which he isn't), and Boozer missing lay up after lay up. How does that equate to a contender? Right it does not! I'm afraid D-Will is so caught up in making the All-Star team that he has forgot this is a team game. That All-Star crap is just that! Leave it be buddy and just play the game the way you always have. We don't need this turning into a two man game again, play like Maynor and Mathews and involve everyone PLEASE! Also don't read too much into Boozers enthusiasim because we all know he's playing for a contract next year with someone else. I personnally like our team without Booze, Brewer, and A.K.

• Miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:32 a.m.

LeBron, Kobe and CJ all came right out of high school! Sloan does not play guys like that. New York will love to have CJ. If CJ was there last night the Jazz win by 25.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:34 a.m.

Why all the hate toward Millsap. He is not as good offensively, but his defense is much better than Boozer - And Boozer is putting a great effort on defense, he is just a poor defender. I don't even know if Jazz fans even watch defense. So I will break it down

Millsap opponent Adjusted field goal percentage 41%
    Boozer opponent Adjusted field goal percentage 57% Now considering that the opponents PF are averaging 14 shots per 48 minutes. If you play Millsap 48 minutes instead of Boozer the opponets PF will score 4.5 more points less. Second, Millsaps help defense is much better than Boozer, He comes over and blocks shots, take at least one charge a game (he had 2 against SA) - and his defensive rotation is much better than Boozer. Defensively, with Millsap on the floor we allow about 6 to 8 less points per 48 minutes than when Boozer is on the floor.

Boozer is an unbelievable rebounder and a great offensive player, but if the Jazz really going to have Okur at center (a bad defensive player) we need a good defensive player at PF

• @SloanHater and Contender
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:35 a.m.

We love winning. Sloan is finally making some adjustments that allow this team to win more.

There are more 3s because there has to be so the paint is not packed.

He is playing rookies because he has to. Fez/Okur/Boozer/Millsap also give him quality depth so he can sit slackers. His system does not work if one player slacks off, or won't set hard picks.

Pace. He has enough depth now at PG so he can rest DWill. The Jazz have a pace that they hustle best at. If it gets to slow or fast the Jazz usually lose.

He can run the 2 PG offense so teams can't jump DWill early and destroy the offense.

The Jazz are trying to play D.

Sloan is experimenting with combos and lineups. He is adjusting. His rotations are not predictable and set in concrete. He has enough good players to win on the road and in back to backs.

If the Jazz keep playing like this AND if they figure out how to beat the fun/gun and inside/out 3 teams they will contend for the Western Conference.

LA is still a problem.

• Jim Murray
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:44 a.m.

" Standing in one of the maze of hallways at the AT&T Center here in San Antonio, Jazz coach Jerry Sloan looked over his glasses and smiled after scratching one off his bucket list."

That was one of the all-time great sentences!

• Millsap is still learning
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:45 a.m.

how to be effective at the 3 position. He will come along as the season progresses. Boozer's presence this year is giving Millsap time to develop moves that will make him a much better player next year. Playing 3 also makes him a much better player.

I will give Sloan credit for cross training. That is one thing he does very well.

I wonder if the Jazz have a combo that can beat LA. They are still vulnerable to Gasol,Odom and to some extent Bynum. CJ and maybe Brewer/Mathews may be able to slow Kobe down?

To bad Koufos is not ready to go at PF against Gasol/Odom. I think AK/Millsap can handle Artest unless he is far out shooting 3s. Moving AK to PF to defend Odom/Gasol may be worth trying part of the time. That would put Boozer/Okur on Bynum and Millsap/Brewer on Artest.

The big problem is who will stop Gasol when Odom is in the game? Can Fez handle Gasol?

• Comic Duo
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:52 a.m.

"Standing in one of the maze of hallways at the AT&T Center here in San Antonio, Jazz coach Jerry Sloan looked over his glasses and smiled after scratching one off his bucket list."

That was so funny I almost never made it to "Well, it was nice from my standpoint to get a win in this building before I die."

You've joined a distinguished list of comic duos:

Jerry and Dean
    Jerry and Elaine
    Jerry and Tim

Seriously -- loved it!

• Re Houdini
    Nov. 20, 2009 9:52 a.m.

we`ve fought back to get to 6-6,you`re a troll

• Miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 10:26 a.m.

The Jazz are playing 500 basketball. It's not like we are at the top of the standings. This team is like a roller coaster. You get some thrills but they always fall like a rock. You never know if they are going to show up for the next game.

When they learn to play some D then the odds of winning every game goes up drastically. Over the course of a season, players miss a lot of shots, but you can play D every night.

The team goes as AK Boozer and Millsap go. Dwill is a constant when he isn't be greedy. There is a reason the 4 of them make the bulk of the money.

• Contenders
    Nov. 20, 2009 10:30 a.m.

normally get shooting from the 2, 3 and 4 positions. The Jazz have (until recently) had most of their shooting from the 1, 5 and 4 positions. That has been a major weakness of the Jazz.

Wings who can't shoot are an anvil around the ankles of the Jazz.

Mathews and Maynor are starting to change that. AK also has improved his shot and Brewer to some extent. When Korver and CJ get back the Jazz should have enough depth that Sloan can play the hot combos.

If the Jazz can get enough good shooting out of the 2,3 and 4 positions it opens up the inside game. It also compliments their shooting at 1 and 5. If the Jazz outside shooting percentage goes up the opponents fast break points go down.

If the Jazz are taking and making good outside shots Sloan's phobia against outside shooting subsides and the team runs better.

The acid test is PHO who feasts off of fast break points.

Hoopsworld is suggesting that at this moment in development Mathews may be a better find than Maynor. They like Maynor. They really like Mathews.

• plyxply
    Nov. 20, 2009 10:44 a.m.

ok, does anyone here agree with me that this is no way to get two lotto picks?

Regardless, can someone please explain to our new radio voice Locke that he is turning people away who are embarrased for him as they listen on the radio. It was so uncomfortable listening last night that I could not finish listening to the game and until now did not know who won the game. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, realize we are tuning in to listen to the Jazz game, not the David Locke variety show. Is the game available somewhere in Spanish I could at least tell if they were winning or losing without having to expose myself to the current "entertainer/announcer person" Locke? Please Help!

• The Truth@ Miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 10:49 a.m.

It's not always about points,Matthews and Maynor didn't shoot very well, however, they still stayed within the offense. Fess is just huge, he is looking like a steal in the draft as well at this point. I thought that although he got in foul trouble, which hurt his minutes, he played Duncan pretty well. Other teams just don't shoot it as well around the basket when Fess is in there. My only concern is Jerry seems to be incapable of coaching momentum. D-will hits a couple of threes the jazz go up by 10, Hill goes out of the game with foul trouble and Jerry pulls him. D-will was upset, Jazz lose the lead and then Jerry puts him back in.....Jerry stay with the hot hand and throw your watch away. Other than that, Jazz seemed to be playing as a team which is fun to watch. AK bashers and Boozer bashers have nothing to post about these days. For the record, I'd still like to see Booz get traded for an all-star type 2 guard. Booz probably has the Jazz thinking about the Memo extension? until he gets hurt....

• YEAH!
    Nov. 20, 2009 11:07 a.m.

Our out of touch mult-millionaires won! I am so excited. I think I will go celebrate. Woot, woot, woot,

• Anonymous
    Nov. 20, 2009 11:33 a.m.

The Jazz are a joke, they still won't be able to compete with the other great teams in the NBA. Because they can't stay healthy and they find ways to sit out of games over little stupid injuries the jazz needs to grow up and play basketball and then they will have respect. From the rest of the teams.

• TO early
    Nov. 20, 2009 11:57 a.m.

for me to get excited however, the promise of young,hardworking talent with a desire to defend seems to be rubbing off on a few of our lazier defenders. If the Jazz contiue to play D-fense look out here we come!!!!!

• re: whoa
    Nov. 20, 2009 12:00 p.m.

"sloppy game"?

Your comments are so on target. NOT!!

The Jazz had 9 turnovers on the road in the 2nd game of a back to back.

Ya really sloppy and Deron must have really been "forcing it".

"Boozer missing layups".

Ya we all watched as he repeatedly missed possession after possession in the final 3 minutes when the game was on the line. I think he was an appalling 4-6 with 2 3 point plays.

Ya, terrible.

Please stop posting. We have no idea what game you are watching but it clearly was not the win at the Alamo.

• Snoozer
    Nov. 20, 2009 12:41 p.m.

Get ready to set your watch. Boozer should get his annual hangnail any day now. I know, I saw him picking up 15 Armani suits from the dry cleaners, ready to wear and a shiny new pair of 10 full karat diamond ear studs. I'm pretty sure I heard him tell the jeweler he wanted to look his best when he tells the ESPN reporter this year that he's getting a raise "no matter what".

• DRob was a Mermaid
    Nov. 20, 2009 1:19 p.m.

The Spurs have won championships with circumstances similar to last night -- i.e. the other contenders depleted in one way or another.

Nobody seems to care about that, so why would an asterisk apply to a Utah regular season win over the same franchise?

• The Jazz have 2 major
    Nov. 20, 2009 1:24 p.m.

hurdles to jump.

They do not have a good approach to fun and gun teams. They are slow in getting back on defense and in transition.

They do not have an answer to an healthy LA. They will have to win with production from the 1, 2 and 3 positions. They do not have a defense for Gasol and Odom.

Mathews (38.9 %, 18 shots), AK (38.5 %, 26), Okur (37.5 %, 24), and DWill (35.9 %, 39) are the primary 3 point shooters. Price, Brewer and Maynor are below 23 %.

That is enough to keep defenses somewhat honest. However, the 1 and 5 positions are shooting too many 3s. Korver and CJ are missed and the team will improve when they return. Some of DWill's 3s are coming from the 2 position.

Missed jump shots really hurt on the transition defense. The Jazz have to find a way to stop fun and gun teams (PHO).

LA presents a whole different set of problems. The Jazz are very weak at C/PF when it comes to defending LA. CJ/Mathews/Brewer may slow down Kobe somewhat.

The Jazz need a PF who can defend Odom/Gasol.

• Kevin
    Nov. 20, 2009 1:29 p.m.

Couple of things: To the hater that said he hasn't watched a Jazz game since Sacramento, give the Jazz a break, it had been an awkward off season and they hadn't fixed those chemistry issues yet. Also our bench was completely depleted, and the rookies The Kings also aren't as bad as they've been in years past!

Who cares that Parker and Ginobli weren't there? We beat them in Utah when they were here and now our 10 year losing streak is broken!

I'm a little worried that the rookies might not be as for real as everyone thinks they are but Miles and Korver are coming back, so that should fill in any gaps in talent if the rookies should start playing like rookies again.

• The JAZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
    Nov. 20, 2009 1:32 p.m.

...will win just enough games to miss out on the lottery. Boring NBAzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• todd from santa ana
    Nov. 20, 2009 1:35 p.m.

thanks for deleting my post last night,. Cowboy: Thanks for the low blow 2 nights ago about Miles and me. Let me make something clear. I like Fes and want to like Koustos also, Koustos is still inconsistent and raw but I am pulling for him. Houdini as USUAL was right: He asked I should not harp so much on letting 3pointers go up unopposed, because I will see that every night with CJ when he comes back.

Very very true. Further if CJ does not do more than be "a one trick horse" He may be out of the league

wehave options now

hee hee

• Forget the *
    Nov. 20, 2009 1:41 p.m.

A win is a win. They've beaten us when they've been short-handed and we've been short-handed. And yesterday we were both short-handed. As for "Still No Love", get over it, already!!

• Re Miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 2:18 p.m.

sure miles,anything you say,you know it all

• Re CJ vs Kobe
    Nov. 20, 2009 2:22 p.m.

miles slow kobe down...what a laugh!!!!

• Re Miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 2:24 p.m.

you`re a clown,you can`t even mention cj in the same sentence with kobe and lbj,your clueless,,,still

• re c booze
    Nov. 20, 2009 2:41 p.m.

they dident go to millsap as much in the 4th because after he scored 15 in the first half they doubeled him. wich left boz singeled up. and he missed about 6 lay up blocked several times on layups. by duncan. and boz will not be gone next year they will sign him for about 15 mil. then he will be hurt next year. but sloan loves him some boz

• PurplePeopleEater
    Nov. 20, 2009 2:43 p.m.

Small ball, boys, small ball!

Seems the Jazz do better when they have quicker players on the floor. Duh.

Looking forward to the growth of the two rookies. Seems they're doing well enough that Sloan won't hesitate to use them a lot.

And with Maynard and D-Will on the floor at the same time, dynamite!

• I am not Miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 2:57 p.m.

In the past CJ has done a decent job of defending Kobe (at least part of the time and at least as well as anyone on the Jazz). I am not a CJ fan. However, I give him credit when he plays well.

The pressure is on him now to step up his defense and too rebound and act like a real 3. Mathews can play and has been getting national attention.

@Todd Many times I agree with you. I wish Koufos were ready for prime time. I am a big fan of his. However, he needs a year or 2 of development.

Koufos rebounds very well. He plays pretty good defense but needs experience to get really good. Those 2 things insure he will stay in the NBA (think Camby). He will need a couple more years to develop his offensive game (Millsap, Fez).

Last year we wondered if Fez was going to get dropped. This year he is crucial. He still can't do much more than dunk but he is crucial. Koufos will be the same. Sloan will play him when he has to.

I hope he goes to D league just to get experience.

• I love the Sloan Haters
    Nov. 20, 2009 3:01 p.m.

These guys are hilarious. The Jazz have a bad start

and they pour onto the msg boards with torches and a

hangmans noose. The Jazz come up with a big win,

regardless of who SA was missing, and the Sloan

haters pat themselves on the backs by saying "See,

it's because of the adjustments we have been saying

to make." Sloan has forgotten more about basketball

than any of you haters could possibly know in your

lifetimes as a casual fan. Lets not become like

every other team in the NBA and fire a coach because

it is the easiest aspect to change.

• Cowboy Joe these trades work
    Nov. 20, 2009 3:25 p.m.

Jazz trade Harping and eithe Brewer or Korver to the Warriors for Monta Ellis, or trade Kirilenko and Harpring to the Rockets for Tmac.

Or they can make both trades and be set for a deep playoff run

• The Jazz do not need to
    Nov. 20, 2009 3:56 p.m.

make any trades right now unless it is to get a better PF who can beat LA. They have enough talent and depth at 2/3 that they can play the hot hands and DWill can fill in at 2. He is as good or better than anyone they could trade for.

AK is virtually untradeable.

Why in the world would you want TMAC if HOU does not want him? I live in HOU.

You do not want TMAC.

Maybe if he were free but certainly not at 23 M (expiring or not). HOU is going to collect as much insurance on TMAC as they can. They do not think he can play defense (at all) after the surgery. He may be 70-80% of what he WAS offensively. They might trade TMAC if they can get a dumb taker but they plan on not playing him so they can collect the insurance.

That is what the fight was all about. Alderman does not want TMAC messing up his chemistry with an 7-5 start. Further, TMAC is costless as long as HOU does not play him. The insurance just kicked in after 41 consecutive games missed.

• Korver and CJ are
    Nov. 20, 2009 4:13 p.m.

probably better than TMAC at this point in their careers. They are also a whole lot cheaper and do not have the IA ego syndrome.

The problems at back up PG and SG are being solved with depth and time. The PF and the defense are the last things between the Jazz and a conference title.

Resting Brewer on the game before a back to back helps a lot. Having Fez to rest Okur also helps. The depth of Boozer/Millsap also helps.

Most important, if DWill is not run into the ground in the first night he can maintain the right pace on the second night.

As Maynor and Mathews progress and Korver and CJ return while the Jazz can rotate Okur,Boozer,Millsap, and Fez the Jazz can beat a lot of teams if they run the offense, play defense and Sloan keeps the hot combos on the floor and benches any slackers.

The Jazz have quality (improving) depth. They have never had that before.

• @Sloanaholics
    Nov. 20, 2009 4:23 p.m.

It does not take a rocket scientist to see the Sloan tendencies that have lost the Jazz countless games.

We are not saying anything that has not been said by countless NBA coaches and professional commentators who have coached or played in the NBA.

As long as Sloan wins we keep quiet. However, when his tendencies and biases start losing games then someone should point out that changes are needed.

The SL press never do their job when it comes to Sloan. He is a good coach. If he were a great coach he would have a ring to 2 by now.

• Re: No Love
    Nov. 20, 2009 4:24 p.m.

Have you looked at sacramentos record lately? They are a decent team so far. If you didn't have any love for the jazz you wouldn't be posting on here so nice try.

• RE cowboy
    Nov. 20, 2009 4:42 p.m.

how do you come up with these stupid trades,do you stay up all nite? why in the world would we need or want M Ellis???

• Re: I am not Miles
    Nov. 20, 2009 4:44 p.m.

we can tell you`re not miles....your post actually made sense

• todd from santa ana
    Nov. 20, 2009 11:11 p.m.

Montae Ellis?

nahhhhh

Sacramento has become a better team mainly because of Westphal. Udrih, Nocconi were journeymen last year, many other like Thompson, Hawes, Greene were there., They all are picking up theyr'e games, the offense is a lot more crisp and a better effort is being made defensively with MUCH THE same players

Called motivation, focus players willing to learn and a positive, focus teacher at the helm

• THEeyepatch
    Nov. 21, 2009 5:23 a.m.

For all you Jazz haters out there, the Jazz of this morning are 6-6.... wait.... 6-6.. really..... nevermind.

• STEVE-O
    Nov. 21, 2009 1:02 p.m.

I watch ESPN every night for 3 reason!!

1- Watching to see if the Knicks lost again. And I'm usually NOT disappointed!

2- Hoping Kobe Bryant, Pao Gasol, and/or Andrew Bynum tore their ACL/MCL and are out for the season!!! No luck yet, but it's a long season!

3- Watching for Jazz highlights (if they've played)

• STEVE-O
    Nov. 21, 2009 1:36 p.m.

And by the way....

Sacramento has become a half decent team because K. Martin is injured. That guy jacks up shots from anywhere on the court no matter who's gaurding him. He scores points because he takes 30 shots a game. Now that he's gone Evans is running the show. He can score, but is also willing to give it up to open teammates! Once Martin comes back the Kings will fall into the toilet again.

Same goes for the Rockets. T-Mac ruins the team chemistry because he shoots B.S. shots all game. Once he comes back they'll fall out of the playoff race. (If they LET him come back.. ha ha ha)

• BORING!!!!!!!!!
    Nov. 23, 2009 7:05 a.m.

NBA= National Boring Association. Great for people who have trouble sleeping. Other than that useless. I hope someday SLC/UT gets a sport that is not oppressed into not playing on Sunday's at home. I feel so bad for the abuse the people in UT. suffer. One day I hope you will find the courage to stand up to your oppressors and demand to be treated as adults and not have to settle for the farce that is the NBA.