Real Salt Lake notebook: Team must readjust to the turf

Comments

• BitterSweet
    Nov. 19, 2009 12:01 a.m.

As much as I love the success it has been to bring MLS to Seattle, I'm sad to see the Cup Final being played on artificial turf. It has been the consistent complaint from international teams and organizations (i.e. FIFA) regarding American soccer! Why can't we just buck up and play on grass?! It blows my mind that this has not become more of a priority.

Maybe I'm just a soccer snob...Maybe other sports that rely heavily on a ball rolling/bouncing on a surface also settle for artificial turf as an alternative. Let's see, Golf? Nope. Baseball? Generally no. American football is a bit different, but generally when ball's reaction to the ground is paramount (i.e. soccer, golf, baseball, etc.), then it is played on grass! A comparison might be a bowling alley not applying the proper finish on the lanes...and doing this for practicality/cost reasons. Wake up America!

The "World's Game" will never come to the US as long as we keep playing on Turf!

• Exciting RSL
    Nov. 19, 2009 7:51 a.m.

I have been following RSL from over here in Germany. I am crossing my fingers for RSL this Saturday and for US soccer to catching up with this great sport

Greeting from Germany

• nerves
    Nov. 19, 2009 8:08 a.m.

This game is all about the crowd. MLS has made every other recent expansion team have a soccer specific stadium in place before they would accept them into the league. Exceptions were made at every turn for Seattle because they knew they would have a huge crowd and very rich owners.
    The same thing for this game. MLS knew that if they had the final in Seattle that they would have a huge turn out and sell a lot of tickets, so they were willing to overlook the turf for ticket sales.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2009 8:36 a.m.

GO RSL! Beat the Gals!

• Exploit LA's weak defense.
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:00 a.m.

Counter-attacks here we come.

I predict RSL 3-2 LA.

• Nussdorfer AC
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:00 a.m.

The turf is unfortunate, but LA has to play on it as well. Hopefully we will be prepared. Go RSL!

• LA's defense
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:18 a.m.

I wouldn't say it's weak. It's got the last two rookie of the year winners on it, as well as De La Garza who could have won the same award a lot of years.

However it is, other than Berhalter, pretty inexperienced, and it is also, other than Sean Franklin, kinda slow.

That should give Robbie Findley a chance of attacking it.

• Chadders
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:09 a.m.

I hate that this final is on turf. I understand why it is but I still hate it. I sure hope Seattle is planning on getting their own grass stadium soon. I really like our chances. I wish I could go, those that do are very lucky. The team is the star! Win it all RSL!!

• Noah Zark
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:15 a.m.

With the way the weather has been for the past two weeks and with what is predicted for this weekend both squads might be grateful to be playing on the turf and not the sure quagmire of natural grass.

Now, pair off please. Two by two.

Glub-glub-glub.

• Galaxian
    Nov. 19, 2009 11:02 a.m.

3-0 Galaxy. Donovan and Beckham and you think you can win? Give me a break.

• Rooob
    Nov. 19, 2009 11:03 a.m.

That's pretty cool about RSL's emblem being painted on the space needle!

• 11 to protect
    Nov. 19, 2009 11:56 a.m.

If I were the fantasy GM I would protect:
    Findley, Morales, Espindola, Beckerman, Will Johnson, Olave, Borchers, Rimando, Seitz, Cox, Beltran

I'd hope that Andy would get passed on because of age. Instead of Cox & Beltran, I'd consider Mathis or Andy although they might get passed on because of their age.

I would definitely not protect: Wingert, Russell, Campos. Good players, but not fitting of our 11 most important.

I know RSL is retaining the rights to Yura in case he decides to return any time over the next couple of years. Does anyone know if we'd have to use one of our 11 spots to protect his slot?

• jason
    Nov. 19, 2009 12:12 p.m.

re:Galaxian.
    it's gotta be the whole team playing together. not just those too. RSL has this one in the bag. 2-0 RSL.

• Turf Monster
    Nov. 19, 2009 12:43 p.m.

I hate the fact that this gaming is being played on turf. But there's no denying that Seattle is a soccer town - the crowd should be terrific.

Prediction: 2 RSL - LA 1.

Go RSL!!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2009 12:50 p.m.

Did anyone else see the photo of Beckham carrying his kids with a boot on to protect some sort of injury? Whats up with that? Not the kids part, but the injury.

• Chadders
    Nov. 19, 2009 1:05 p.m.

I'm sad we have to protect 11 players again. I'm gonna assume Seitz will be a GA player still so I'd protect:
    Olave, Johnson, Beckerman, Beltran, Borchers, Campos, Mathis, Morales, Wingert, Grabavoy, and Rimando (depending on Sunday's game) or Russell.

I think you have to protect Wingert for a lot of reasons, he cares and gives a solid effort, he is pretty young, he is fairly inexpensive, he cares about the fans, he has a great throw in ability, etc.

I would protect Russell just because he can play so many positions.

We will definetely need Campos next year, because we will no longer have Yura. He is very good at holding the ball and finding other players in the box.

Philadelphia is not going to want Andy. They will be seen as classless if they take a guy who has a wife battling for her life.

I doubt Philly will know how good Cox can be.

I'm gonna be sad to see someone go. We have a great team. I wonder if MLS will ever stop doing this stupid draft or make it a rule that you can't lose a player 2years inarow.

• Go RSL!!!
    Nov. 19, 2009 1:44 p.m.

Everyone here at Stonewall will be right behind you!

• Little Bird
    Nov. 19, 2009 2:37 p.m.

Told me that there is a strong Seattle Sounders fan base that says they are going to cheer for RSL on Sunday.

• RE: Chadders
    Nov. 19, 2009 2:38 p.m.

did you really say we should keep Wingert because he is good at throwing the ball in? holy cow which ayso team do you coach?

• Chadders
    Nov. 19, 2009 3:33 p.m.

HAHA very funny. Wingert can heave a throw in almost as far as a corner kick and waaay more accurate. It might be an underated trait but it is very valuable. It is a reason why pretty much anytime there is a throw-in on his side he is the one to do it.

• Field Turf...
    Nov. 19, 2009 4:07 p.m.

Are you people kidding? It's not ASTRO turf, it's Field Turf. Yes, the game does speed up as a result, but these people are professionals and should be able to adjust accordingly. Man Utd, Celtic, and the National Team have all played on it. There are teams in Europe that have put it in as well. The turf is not an issue unless they can't control the ball.

The last two games have been fantastic for RSL with some fantastic scoring chances and possession. The weather is going to be an issue this Sunday, that will make the game ugly.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2009 4:23 p.m.

RSL will win and change the landscape of sports! Oh wait, we are talking about soccer? Forget it then.

• Re: anonymous 4:23
    Nov. 19, 2009 7:39 p.m.

What do you mean by your comment? Has any one victory by any team in the history of sport ever 'changed the landscape' of sport?

Oh wait, the 1950 FIFA World Cup group match in which the US defeated Brazil may have indeed changed the landscape of sport. It certainly caused a change to the way the English prepared for international matches which in turn resulted in a change in tactics used today around the world. That may have been one of the most important sporting events in history. It involved the United States playing a sport that has been here just as long as it has been played in much of the world. Several years ago the number of players in the US exceeded the total number of players for American football or baseball. Those numbers are available easily online.

GO RSL and GO WORLD'S GAME!!!!

• We will lose
    Nov. 19, 2009 11:30 p.m.

I want more people to predict RSL is going to lose. Being the underdogs in the playoffs has been great for us. I hope everyone keeps dumping on RSL.