Utah

Students, PETA protest animal testing at the University of Utah

Comments

• post1
    Nov. 17, 2009 6:36 p.m.

I love animals. Cats and dogs, even rats, make great pets and companions. They serve humans in great ways. One of these ways is through research. Numerous medical breakthroughs have come from animal testing. In the case of taking animals from shelters to use for testing, only about 25% of dogs and cats are ever adopted into homes. What happens to the rest? They're euthanized. Why not let research centers use them for a good cause?

• Anonymous
    Nov. 17, 2009 9:11 p.m.

I am so very, very pleased to hear that some people
    truly care for animals. Animals have taught me a lot
    and I respect them dearly. I would like to con-
    gradulate all the humans who are helping animals -
    these humans deserve the highest of honor and res-
    pect. God Love the animals and all the humble,
    good humans.

• Evil Humans
    Nov. 17, 2009 10:05 p.m.

Cats and Dogs rule!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 18, 2009 9:47 a.m.

That's great to hear. I hope it all goes down well, because it deserves to. This shouldn't be happening anywhere.
    xx

• Kelley
    Nov. 18, 2009 4:31 p.m.

Post1--The animals which are taken into research labs would be better off being killed before the people who work in these labs get their hands on them. Do you have any idea what the students in the labs do to animals? They are not working to cure anything.
    Animal research is a big business, and nothing more.
    Someday the people who have done this to these animals will face justice. If not in this life, than the next.

• Animals aren't people
    Nov. 21, 2009 10:00 p.m.

I love BYU. Not many left wing loonies there.

• Dave
    Nov. 21, 2009 10:12 p.m.

The members of PETA need to look at every piece of research that has benefited medicine and commit to not partake of any of those advances even if it costs them their lives because that is what they are asking of all of us!

• PETA PEOPLE
    Nov. 21, 2009 10:32 p.m.

You need to be put into an easy maze with your reward at the end. I doubt any of you lunatics could remember your way around twice! These animals provide tremendous research on dementia. But...of course you would not remember to mention that in your article. And...I am going to eat my turkey...my pet turkey in the freezer for Thanksgiving! I will let you kknow the result early. It is delicious!

• Okay
    Nov. 22, 2009 3:54 a.m.

There are some people who, for whatever reason, just don't care about animals. They see animals as nothing more than something to use, abuse, and make lame jokes about.

That's why it's good to know there are some people in this world looking out for innocent animals.

• Biased, one-sided reporting
    Nov. 22, 2009 8:14 a.m.

How about showing the things that the research does for mankind??? How about the 75% of animals not adopted out from the shelters? Why not invest your time and money into adopting them and solving the problem? Because you're all HYPOCRITES who talk but don't walk.

• It's not that I don't care about
    Nov. 22, 2009 9:09 a.m.

animals, I just care for people more. How many of these "activists" are studying biology or are premed? These studies help save people's lives, perhaps your father, your wife, your daughter. Animals should be treated with respect, and that labs should follow a strict code of ethics. Testing should continue, as I value human life more than other animals.

• PETA
    Nov. 22, 2009 9:16 a.m.

It is unfortunate that these people benefit from the very experiments that they protest.

• shame
    Nov. 22, 2009 9:36 a.m.

Shanme on you PETA flakes. You are putting and the rats ahead of the good and benefit of human life. It is one thing to be kind to dog's, cat's, Horses etc. But when you put desease carrying rats ahead of all mankind, you show very little intelligence.
    Get a life. Do something that is turly useful for your neighbors.

• Moderate View
    Nov. 22, 2009 10:20 a.m.

We should treat animals with respect because they are God's creations. But remember that God gave animals to man to sustain and support man. Horses, oxen, cattle, have provided transportation and farming manpower since the beginning. If it were humans, it would be cruel slavery and torture and canniballism. So we shouldn't exhalt animals to the same level of humans, but we should treat them with respect and be wise and accountable stewards. As far as research, it depends on the research. Just using good judgement and ethics should be guidelines enough. PETA has good intentions but they are too extreme and I don't like their M.O. On the other hand, animal abuse does exist and the people responsible should be held accountable.

• ASH
    Nov. 22, 2009 10:31 a.m.

Nothing good comes out of animal testing laboratories unless you believe in BIG PHARMA and that your doctor is a GOD, like apparently some of you here do.
    I am not an animal rights activist, but this testing of animals is just a big business venture, making it pointless as well as cruel.
    I certainly do not take "advantage" of any so-called medical miracle discovered through animal testing. Natural healing is the REAL miracle.
    to PETA PEOPLE 10:32:
    Dementia can be prevented through purely natural means. It is just stupid to do expensive research on a cure when prevention is possible for everyone. Lets have enlightenment and not drugs.

• Re: Animals aren't people
    Nov. 22, 2009 10:45 a.m.

It's true, they are not people. However, society is judged on how they treat the most helpless in their care. I see the need for testing, but I don't see the need for unnecessary testing. Life is sacred, no matter what form it takes and I'd like to see testing animals cared for as much as possible.

What I'd like to see for those of you who are so willing to experiment is for you to volunteer as guinea pigs for these experiments. Then we'd see how long you would be for this; a little pain and you'd be crying out against it.

To Biased: I do adopt my animals from shelters. You're the one who needs to take a look at yourself.

There is a lot of research that can be done that does not require animal testing. If we use animals, let's use them carefully and treat them as humanely as possible.

• dianahiguera
    Nov. 22, 2009 10:57 a.m.

Animals can not speak ,they only have they owners ,who can help them, who can speakloud for their rights.

• To ash from PETA PEOPLE
    Nov. 22, 2009 2:00 p.m.

Yea, dementia can be prevented through purely natural means...like falling over dead before you hit 50! Do your research about the human brain. You people who think everything can be healed with "natural" remedies, are the reason we see cancer patients wait until they are terminal, because they took the advice from some know-little holistic healer hooked on herbs, instead of getting early treatment. Talk to a survivor.

• TEST THE STUPID OWNERS
    Nov. 22, 2009 2:11 p.m.

How about testing the brain power of the owners who have animals which end up at the shelter? Or, you can take the person who walks their dog past my lawn everyday. When it craps, the owner suddenly has some beautiful sunset to gaze at in the opposite direction, before walking away. There are some great animal lovers and owners...but here in Utah there are a lot of idiots buying pets for the wrong reason and they are often irresponsible. Just this morning a woman was walking her yellow lab through City Creek. It crapped and she waited for all cars to pass then just started her jog. If you confront a person like this woman, they are abusive and defensive...even while breaking the law. We are turning into a big city without a clue how to manage these problems. If bad owners were fined...enough...there would be plenty of money to feed and house all of the homeless pets. Bad owners are the problem..Test what little brain they might have.

• Man Was Not Made For Animals
    Nov. 22, 2009 2:42 p.m.

You people from PETA do realize that these animals are taken from kennels and will be put down anyway, right?

And you do realize that the medical procedures and tests done on their bodies helps, oh....I don't know....people LIKE YOU with improved medical procedures and abilities to help YOU live longer, happier lives?

You do realize that animals were made to bless the lives of people and not the other way around, don't you?

If not I've just found the reason behind your foolishness....

• Omnivore
    Nov. 22, 2009 3:25 p.m.

I am an omnivore. There, I said it. I eat plants, and I eat animals. Just like animals do. Animals eat animals:

Cats eat animals.
    Dogs eat animals.
    Rats eat animals.

So, if I eat an animal I am no worse than the animals peta worships.

Plants are alive. They respond to their environment:

Flowers open when the sun comes up.
    Grass moves from east to west following the sun.

They also brighten our day, put a smile on our face, make our world more livable and beautiful. I've seen plants tattooed on people.

Perhaps plants are sentient, too.

I propose that peta stop eating plants as well as animals.

• Elaine
    Nov. 22, 2009 8:19 p.m.

The video doesn't lie. Anyone who watches the undercover video knows that this isn't science, this is cruelty.

• the amazing taylor
    Nov. 23, 2009 2:54 p.m.

So testing chemicals on animals?? um what if those chemicals kill the animals? have you thought of that? animals have feelings to. So stop killing them. im against animal cruelty. I love deers, dogs,cats,rats, ANY ANIMAL! so stop. you guys are being dumb!!! i'll make a difference. if you guys don't.

• ocean girl
    Nov. 23, 2009 2:54 p.m.

Why would you test chemicals on animals? Why not care for the animal? Hey, i love animals and I say that they should not be tested. Animals have feelings and they dislike being used as a sample or holder for chemicals. Protest!!!!

• PETA
    Nov. 24, 2009 6:40 p.m.

People Eating Tasty Animals!!!!!!

• Mel
    Jan. 14, 2010 2:44 p.m.

What I think people are failing to notice is that this photo of a cat has been photoshopped - there was a photo of "Robert" (The cat's name) on their site recently that suddenly had eyes. Most of the time the photo they have used his eyes have been badly painted over (you can see some of the yellow.

It's not the first time that PETA has manipulated footage - there has been video where they claim a monkey is begging for water, but the photo still clearly shows a full bottle within easy reach. They claim Odessa sold cats to Texas Tech University, producing a receipt that not only has missing information, but uses a Midland Zip code as the address of said shelter (not to mention that Lubbock is nearly 3 hours away from Odessa and has a shelter of its own).

Now, true animal cruelty I want to see get stopped; however, PETA's producing misleading information. You want this stopped? - You MUST start giving unedited footage - and all of it. That's the only way people will believe you guys instead of thinking it's another publicity stunt.

• Ashley
    Feb. 8, 2010 2:40 p.m.

people who test on animals should be tested on them selves. I think they should be killed if they treat animals badly, animals havent done a thing to you and all they want from you is love and respect and people in labs cant even do that. ANIMALS HAVE FEELINGS!!!! SO LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!!!!!

• Wendy
    March 30, 2010 9:50 a.m.

I think it is horrible that is happening to these animals. Please stop the torture!! This is terrible that humans are doing this to animals. I am so disappointed in the human race!!!! May you all suffer the way you are making these animals suffer. Don't you see they are suffering?? Shame on YOU!!!!!!