Utah

Shurtleff drops out of U.S. Senate race

Comments

• Whoa, big surprise
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:10 a.m.

Can't wait to hear "the rest of the story" on this one!

• Joe
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:13 a.m.

Wow! Hot dang! There goes any chances of killing the BCS. I just hope all is well with Mark.

• Utah Proud
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:31 a.m.

Mr. Shurtleff - your announcement comes with mixed emotions. 1) We certainly need you in DC. 2) Releived that we in Utah will have your watchful eye over us somewhat longer.

You are a good man, good leader, and obviously a great father.

You and your family will be blessed.

• David
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:34 a.m.

That changes the Senate race - I wonder who this will all shake out.

• Colleen
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:39 a.m.

I just heard the announcement on Doug Wright's show but came here to confirm it and to offer my condolences for whatever reason Mark dropped out. We hope that we have not seen the last of a very good man whom we respect. Our best to Mark and his family.

• Aimee
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:41 a.m.

Shurtleff is a great public servant, but family comes first and I admire his willingness to put them before this Senate race. Good luck to the Shurtleff family!

• Promise for Tomorrow
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:00 a.m.

You are doing the right thing!! Our children need a Promise for Tomorrow. May your daughter find a way through the encompassing darkness, to the joy that can be found just beyond. Our prayers are with your family.

• Shelley
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:03 a.m.

You got it right Mark. Way to go!!!

• Good for Shurtleff and Utahn's
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:03 a.m.

Good that Shurleff has his priorities right. Good for Utahn's that we don't have another RINO going to the sentate at a time when the republican party is cleansing itself.

• Ben Mathews
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:17 a.m.

There is more than Shurtleff and Bennett in this race. Cherilyn Eagar is a great conservative candidate who would represent Utah well.

• Val
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:19 a.m.

You certainly had my vote. I have always admired your ethics in political life. My best to you and your family, and for you being upfront about your families struggle. When things settle down, I hope to see you in a future Senate race.

• Ruth in Texas
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:32 a.m.

Family First always. I admire you very much for stepping down at this time. Your daughter comes first.

God Bless you all,

I will remember you all in my prayers. I know what depression is. It isn't easy by no means.

• suzyk
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:32 a.m.

You know it never ceases to amaze the sarcasm that is interjected in these comments. Here is a father who loves his daughter more than a race..most likely one he would have won. But my hats off to you Mark Shurtleff and the courage for the right decision you made. There will always be skeptics but I for one know you have earned your present position and will do more later. Good for you....what an example!!!!

Nov. 4, 2009 10:39 a.m.

I'm sorry to hear that Mark Shurtleff is dropping out of the race. Looks like it's time for SuperDell Schanze to step up to the plate and run for senator!

• I wouldn't be quick to judge
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:40 a.m.

I think it ultimately takes experiencing the effects of mental illness firsthand before you can really understand just how quickly and how seriously things can take a drastic turn. As a sufferer of mental illness myself, and having dealt with family members with serious mental illness and sudden suicide attempts and downturns, I'm inclined to take Mr. Shurtleff's reason as legitimate, without passing judgement or trying to read something political into it. If it's truly what one person called a "political blunder", then I applaud his blunder in exchange for being there for his daughter!

• arc
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:55 a.m.

I am wishing Mark Shurtleff the best and his family.

While there are other candidates, it seems pretty cold to bring that up now.

Shurtleff was elected AG through 2012. Leave him alone to handle work and family.

Nov. 4, 2009 10:58 a.m.

Mr. Shurtleff, you would have had my vote and you will again if you campaign for office. My thoughts and prayers to your family; depression and suicidal behavior are not to be taken lightly as you know. To those who do not understand it; depression and suicide attempts affect everyone around the person. You try hard to save them from themselves and realize their mindset isn't healthy or normal. I hope your daughter does well, I hope your family stays close together. This year I lost 1 family member, 1 friend to suicide and another family member attempted. none of us are the same.

• Todd Taylor
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:05 a.m.

I am surprised by the reaction to AG Mark Shurtleff's announcement. There have been many comments in social media questioning his veracity about the reasons for withdrawal from the US Senate race. On a whole series of political matters, I, too, have questioned his honesty from time to time. But not this time. I wish Mark Shurtleff and his family well in dealing with problems that plague far too many families.

• js
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:12 a.m.

I can't believe anyone would write negative things about Mr. Shurtleff dropping out for the reason he has stated. His reasons are for a very important reason, and I applaud him for it, and his family for making this public. Being there for his daughter for those reasons is an act of love. It is the only right thing to do! I wish them all the best,in getting treatment and getting well.

• mrb
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:26 a.m.

too many naysayers making comments. I salute you Mark for making this decision...it was the right thing to do. You will not regret spending more time with your family.

• bosoxnut
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:27 a.m.

Mr. Shurtleff has my immense respect. I too have a child suffering from mental illness. It's not a fun road. He has made the right choice to support her in her fight against a formidable foe. To those whose knee-jerk reactions are to label all politicians as corrupt power mongers: Show some humanity and quit hiding behind your anonymity like supreme cowards.

Nov. 4, 2009 11:31 a.m.

I know Mark Shurtleff personally. He is a man of high integrity and great wisdom. He would have made a wonderful Senator.

I applaud Mark's decision to put his family first.

To Todd Taylor and those posting above who suggest Mr. Shurtleff has ulterior motives for his decision, I can only hope that neither you nor anyone on your family ever suffers from life-threatening mental illness. Your behavior towards a family that is dealing with this kind problem is really disappointing!

• good luck
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:42 a.m.

Mr. Shurtleff, I have admired your political views and stance. There are those who don't like you for the same exact reason. I was looking forward to voting for you. I hope things get taken care of with your family. I know there are those that will attack, but there are also those who will support. Good luck to you in your endeavor.

Nov. 4, 2009 11:53 a.m.

I wouldn't have voted for him, but having worked on a campaign and how little time a candidate has for his family, I can respect this decision.

Nov. 4, 2009 11:58 a.m.

"I can't believe anyone would write negative things about Mr. Shurtleff dropping out for the reason he has stated."

You must be very sheltered, these are the same people ripping on the President with all their nastiness.

• Lew Jeppson
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:01 p.m.

Family first - good for him!

• Madden
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:01 p.m.

I applaud the decision. A lesser person might have run a half-hearted campaign to feign loyalty to past supporters. I appreciate the honesty and clean cut, it is best for him and Utah.

Nov. 4, 2009 12:17 p.m.

Hope the best for your family.

• CYNIC
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:31 p.m.

I'm going to put a tight lid on my usual dose of cynicism.

I'm saddened by the tragedy the Shurtleff Family has faced and will be facing. The load they have carried and will be carrying can only be known by those who have trod that path.

I will pray for your families health and your daughters recovery.

• Sandy
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:36 p.m.

Mark is a good man and I am thankful for the great example. Mental illness is very difficult to deal with he will not regret putting his daughter first. I am glad that we will still have him to support Utah at home. I wish him the best in this struggle with his daughter.

• geeez
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:55 p.m.

some of you need to get a life, because really what is more important than life? you go mark!

• Todd Taylor
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:59 p.m.

To Anonymous 11:31 - You have gravely misread my commentary. I DO NOT suggest Mr. Shurtleff has ulterior motives for his decision and DO wish him well.

Nov. 4, 2009 1:14 p.m.

"Madden | 12:01 p.m. Nov. 4, 2009
    If he has family concerns to deal with, he is absolutely right dropping out, nothing else comes before that!"

Why did he run in the first place then?

• I care about Shurtleff
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:23 p.m.

I wasn't going to vote for him, but I care about him and his family and wish them well.

• Wish Shurtleff well, but
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:27 p.m.

"Shurtleff said Wednesday he does not believe any of the other current Republican candidates can beat Bennett, and says other conservatives may reach the same conclusion and enter the race. He explained why he feels others now in the race cannot beat Bennett."

That isn't true. Eagar beat Bennett at the Utah County GOP picnic.

• Deseret Dawg
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:29 p.m.

While I prefer Cherilyn Eagar, I'm sorry to hear that Mark Shurtleff has withdrawn from the race under these circumstances. I wish Shurtleff and his family well; he's proven himself to be a true family man who places the welfare of his family ahead of his own political ambition.

Cherilyn Eagar is now in the catbird seat. But she must watch out for Tim Bridgewater sneaking up from behind. Bridgewater is nothing more than a younger version of Bennett - and a "McCainiac" to boot.

Jason Chaffetz needs to stay out of this race - and wait until 2012 to go after Hatch. If Chaffetz goes after Bennett with just two years in the House, he'll look too opportunistic.

• Too much information?
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:47 p.m.

I'll give Shurtleff the benefit of the doubt that his reasons for dropping out of the race are genuine.

But I wonder whether announcing publicly the depths of his daughter's ongoing struggles are really the best thing for her at this very difficult time.

Were I in her position I don't think I would want the fact of my suicide attempts broadcast for all to know. There must be a better way he could have explained this.

• Henry Drummond
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:59 p.m.

I am terribly sorry to hear about the problems with Mark's daughter. Mark has taken many children into his home and I believe has saved many lives by doing so both figuratively and literally. My thoughts are with the family as they work to help their daughter.

• PDX
    Nov. 4, 2009 2:10 p.m.

Shurtleff has set a wonderful example by putting family first. He deserves praise not criticism. Shame on those of you making political hay out of his family's circumstances.

• Back off people!!!!
    Nov. 4, 2009 2:18 p.m.

For all those slamming Mark for backing out of the race I would suggest that perhaps one day you will face the same thing Mark is now facing with his daughter and if you do I guarantee you will understand then (if you don't now) that NOTHING takes priority over helping your daughter. It is so easy to set back and suggest Mark is running away from his record and using his daughter as an excuse but I can say from personal experience as a father of a teenage daughter suffering from Anorexia that there are some things you can't plan for and depression and its ugly cousins don't conveniently schedule themselves into your life. No some things just blow up in your face over night without warning and the only thing you can do is go into survival mode and that is what Mark is doing now. Give the guy a break!!!

• From Cherilyn Eagar
    Nov. 4, 2009 2:35 p.m.

At the earliest opportunity today, I contacted Mark Shurtleff and expressed my best wishes to him and his family at this difficult time. He is a FATHER first, just as I'm a MOTHER first.

I let him know my sincere concern and my respect for his decision.

I especially respect him for getting in this campaign early and for allowing people to get to know him, as any candidate should do in a serious Senate race.

This would be a difficult time for any family. I encourage everyone now to leave this family to their privacy. Who among us does not have any challenge in our families?

Cherilyn Eagar

Nov. 4, 2009 4:26 p.m.

He would have been schooled by my man Bennett anyway.

• Joseph Banks
    Nov. 4, 2009 4:37 p.m.

I'm proud of all your efforts and accomplishments, Mr. Shurtleff! Don't view this as a set back but a step forward. Besides, I think you'd be a much stronger candidate and likely successor to challenging Orrin Hatch! Go Shurtleff and we'll see you again in a few years!

• Right Priorities
    Nov. 4, 2009 5:36 p.m.

As much as people want to believe otherwise now that this came out, everyone knew he was the other big dog in the race.

You guys are despicable trying to make political gains off of a family tragedy. Seriously, there is a difference between being skeptical and being downright base.

Nov. 4, 2009 6:54 p.m.

Good luck to both of them.

• Ashamed
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:09 p.m.

I am embarrassed that any Utahn, of any political persuasion, would try to take advantage of this personal lifethreatening challenge for the Shurtleffs for cheap political gain. Todd Taylor and all democrats for whom he speaks ought to be ashamed and should apologize publicly. As ahould those within the Republican party who are taking their cheaps shots while someone's life is in the balance. Shame, shame, shame.

Nov. 4, 2009 7:33 p.m.

I wish them well. Frankly, I was surprised he ever ran in the first place. His daughter's issues are well known, (desnews did a story on teen depression and suicide a few years back, and Shurtleff's daughter was highlighted) and I was floored to learn he threw his hat in the ring, just because I thought it would be too difficult for his family.

• anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:42 p.m.

I've worked with Danielle. This isn't exaggerated at all. And when he announced, she was doing well. We all watched her start crashing again. He's made the right choice and those of you who say this is politically motivated haven't had a seventeen year old daughter in that kind of pain.

• Donate
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:14 p.m.

I just wish Shurtleff would take some of that campaign money and donate it to help with depression and suicide-prevention!

Some of us understand exactly what you are going through, Mark. If I believed in god, I would pray for you and your family. Since I don't, you have my best wishes.

• Utah Liberal
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:52 p.m.

I take my hat off to Mark Shurtleff, he has my respect & admiration.

The snide political remarks, comments & speculation here are disgusting. Obviously they've never struggled with this type of illness. Grow up & look beyond your own biases & prejudices.

I disagree with Shurtleff's politics, but he has my heartfelt respect.

• to donate
    Nov. 5, 2009 3:29 a.m.

I don't think he can legally do that...
    Anyone want to clear that up?

• Sarah
    Nov. 5, 2009 5:56 a.m.

What a great dad! Our prayers are with your family!

• dislike politicians
    Nov. 5, 2009 6:19 a.m.

not to many politicians in this country that would put family over career and politics. i salute you sir.

• Jenny
    Nov. 5, 2009 6:23 a.m.

Funny, he is dropping out for family reasons but he is going to use the family reason to write a book and make money at the expense of his daughters mental illness. He is against health reform then again he can afford the expense it takes for his medical needs so does not relate to the little guy. Could his self driven needs put his daughters health on the line

• My only question
    Nov. 5, 2009 6:36 a.m.

is why did he even announce and get everyone's hopes up that we could finally get rid of old man Bennett who writes books to get votes and hasn't had an origihal idea in years. For Shurtless to blame himself is a useless exercise. It makes him look weak and ineffective. His daughter has had this problem for years. He knew this going into the race. I am not unsympathetic but I am irrated by this entire exercise. First it was his knee and then his daughter. This guy need to completely retire.

Nov. 5, 2009 8:22 a.m.

I know the hardships & heartache you face with your daughter-As I have walked in your shoes with my own daughter.

Valley Mental Health has helped my daughter, but with the huge budget cuts, and layoffs at VMH I don't know if my daughter will be able to find help - I have stood behind you and I would stand behind you to fight for a stronger budget in mental health-
    God Bless you and your sweet family.

• cb
    Nov. 5, 2009 8:25 a.m.

Last week his pollster called me to see who I am voting for. I told them anybody but Shurtleff or Bennett.

• Dale
    Nov. 5, 2009 8:38 a.m.

Too much drama. Mark did what any good father would do, nothing more, nothing less. No shortage of senate candidates. My sympathy is with his daughter and family.

• Club for Growth
    Nov. 5, 2009 8:39 a.m.

Who is going to beat that RINO Bennett now?

• SLC gal
    Nov. 5, 2009 9:12 a.m.

Sad on so many levels. First is that his daughter has those issues. It's good that he cares about her and is getting her the help she needs.

Which, secondly, a man that devoted to his family is an even better canidate then one who has been sitting around DC far too long.

• The Authority
    Nov. 5, 2009 9:19 a.m.

To Jenny:
    Grow a heart, you're life will be much happier with one than without.

I've met Mark several times, and he's a good man. I totally respect his decision.

• columnist
    Nov. 5, 2009 9:22 a.m.

When Shurtleff family passes through this valley I hope they will turn back and share insights for others enduring challenges of mental illness. Mr. Shurtleff will no doubt have a powerful voice in the healthcare arena regardless of his elected office. I would especially like to see a closer FDA inspection of how psychotropic medications INCREASE the risk for suicide (this is well documented but public awareness is desperately needed).

• Congrats
    Nov. 5, 2009 10:28 a.m.

Congratulations for actually being a parent.

Well, IF that is the real reason.

• Kerry
    Nov. 5, 2009 10:33 a.m.

Mark,

I've know you for many years. You were courageous when you chose to adopt your daughter and add her to your family. You demonstrated that courage once again when you dropped out of the race to spend your time with her and your family. At the end of the day that's what matters. My best to you.

• Matomand
    Nov. 5, 2009 11:05 a.m.

Mr. Shurtleff,

Brave and powerful choice. You will never regret it.

Nov. 5, 2009 11:05 a.m.

Good for him.

• Robin
    Nov. 5, 2009 11:20 a.m.

While I simpathize with the AG's family problems. It would be nice if he cared about other families that his AG's are bent on destroying by supporting the unethical attitude of Child Protection of DCFS

• MarkJensen
    Nov. 5, 2009 12:58 p.m.

...will be relieved.

Nov. 5, 2009 1:31 p.m.

best wishes to the Shurtleff family. I had no idea until yesterday who Cherilyn Eager was. She won't get my vote. To suggest that it's too late for another candidate is egotistical, fearful and shows a lack of respect for the election process. A vote for Mr. Shurtleff would have not necessarily been a vote against Bob Bennett.

• Concerned
    Nov. 5, 2009 1:39 p.m.

I am that you have decided to not run for the Senate seat. We need a change.
    I have seven children: 37 to 24. Three of my children and spouse are Bi Polar. It was a zoo. Getting them to stay on meds was a joke. One child was hospitalized over 13 times between the age of 15 and 26 - has been in all of the area hospitals. This child (30) is married and doing well, although still has problems. This child demanded attention. If attention wasn’t given the threats of suicide and attempts brought instant attention, but not improvement. It took the 4th psychiatrist to confront this child about wanting attention to take self- responsibility for her actions.
    The more attention given, the more the actions persisted. Prayerful guidance is vital. There were other children, a non profit to run (which kept me sane) and a very public position in education. It was hard, but the balance was necessary. Books: Depression, by Dr. Burns-by far the best; When Madness Comes home - became my second Bible; Family to Family, Utah NAMI-vital. Live the life you need to live. God Bless. I do hope you will re-consider.

• To Mark:
    Nov. 10, 2009 5:33 p.m.

So long, liberal. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.