Utah Jazz: Nowitzki destroys Jazz with fourth-quarter scoring explosion

Comments

• Wow
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:13 p.m.

This one is on Sloan. I normally back him, but seriously? Memo cannot guard Nowitzki. This makes me not even want to watch. So pathetic. Time for a change.

• Wow
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:14 p.m.

The Jazz are the worst 4th quarter team in the league if not just the worst

• the Mailman
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:15 p.m.

This season is about to get ugly.. sorry uglier!

• JAZZ MAD
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:16 p.m.

Nice of sloan to take a time out. Ever heard of stopping the momentum.

• Nice job Jazz
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:17 p.m.

You allow 44 points in the 4th quarter. That is pathetic. My support is gone for the Jazz until they play like professionals. Show some effort and determination in the 4th quarter for once this year. Jazz will maybe win 30 games this season if they are lucky. Sloan, I hate to say this, but it is time to go. That was a typical collapse from the Jazz. I'll take a no star team like Houston who tries each game over this Jazz team. Atleast Houston would have an excuse to lose, but they never give up. Dirk tore Jazz to pieces. You would think they could guard him after his first 20 pts in the quarter.

• Done.
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:18 p.m.

We should have gone after David Lee. Boozer can't guard his shadow.

• Livid !!!!!
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:20 p.m.

Sloan backer or Sloan hater after tonights game it should not matter. Very telling I thought how he let Dirk get rolling without calling any timeouts. No change of lineup? What a joke. Bottom line he let them fail. He didnt even try anything. It is obvious what one very big problem is. I think things need to change NOW !!!!!!!

• JAZZ MAD
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:20 p.m.

Boozer -27. That is amazing. Wish he would have had a couple more fouls.

• Forrest
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:20 p.m.

Giving up 44 points in the fourth quarter: Ouch. Until that, the Jazz had played great defense.

• scodyshootfight (KC)
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:21 p.m.

The whole game, even when the Jazz were winning, I was thinking to myself, "The Jazz are lucky because they're playing like poo and still up by 15." What happened when Loozer was on the bench? We went up by a bunch. What happened when he got back on the floor? We blew the game. Can't wait to see the plus/minus on that. The Jazz aren't just struggling to start the year. They've been struggling ever since the second half of last season. NOTHING has changed. NOTHING will change unless we make some changes.

• Nevada Fan
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:22 p.m.

This is not a good team. Let's start at the top.
    O'Conner: They gave you praise for bring this team back. I am not sure how you can look at any fan square in the eye.
    Sloan: This team is better with FES at the 5 and Okur at the 4. Why you sit there and look bewildered is beyond any fan.
    Team: When you foul make sure they don't score, and take note of when Fes fouled Dirk. He knock him down and didn't make a bucket.
    Fans: anyone that thinks that this is a good team is delusional.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:22 p.m.

Why not put in Fess to try to plug the middle. We got our lead while he was in. Just pathetic coaching. He sits and watches as the momentum completely swings. I hate sloan, he is a terrible game coach and past his time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• No surprise!
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:22 p.m.

Get rid of Jerry Sloan and his archaic system, period! Thde older he gets the more ridicule he and his system get.
    Nothing good will happen to this franchise until they get rid of Sloan. ENOUGH SAID!

• Jazz are...
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:22 p.m.

Unbelievable. Can't play from behind, can't win with a double digit lead late in the fourth. Get rid of boozer asap, bench brewer, and maybe call a timeout when Dallas is cutting into the lead to stop the bleeding instead of when the lead is completely gone. I'm disgusted. By the end of January this is a .500 ball club with a ton of losses at home. Mark my words

• Come on Coach
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:23 p.m.

I have never complained about Coach Sloan ever! but I have one tonight, I know you should trust your team, I would if I was in your shoes but come on man you should have called a time out when they got within 12 points tonight just to keep their fans quiet, and then told your young ones keep attacking the hoop! Come on coach I sure love ya and have nothing but respect for you, I've coached before not at your level of course but all coaches have to swallow thier pride and call a time out when they dont want to!!!!!

still love ya coach

• Explosion?
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:24 p.m.

In the fourth quarter the mavs hit 5 shots to the jazz's 6. They lived at the free throw line. This was the classic gift from your refs. Mark cuban's whinning is paying off. Jerry could of at least had the decency to tell the refs off and get tossed. I liked the team's defensive intensity.
    I would complain about D-wills lack of assists but looked at the shot chart in the first quarter missed shots of 2, 4, 4, 6, 6 and 12 ft. He can only gift wrap it so much.

• how in the...?!
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:33 p.m.

utah jazz have some serious and major locker room issues that obviously need to be worked out. they cant blame injuries this yr since they only have korver and miles who are injured. unless they make some changes soon then it'll be another 25-30 win season and right back in the draft lottery.

• next year!
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:33 p.m.

looking forward to next season.

• Jazz Life Fan
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:35 p.m.

I have never seen the Jazz in last place in the division. I have never missed a game since 1995. I wish the Jazz could have gotten rid of Boozer before the season. Boozer has shown in the 1st 4 games that he doesn't have his head in the game. He can't defend, he shoots a lower percentage than most high school players, and he turns the ball over regularly. I don't think the Jazz have a prayer of making the playoffs. Sloan doesn't seem to know when a player needs to set the rest of the game.

• Blazers #1 fan
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:35 p.m.

Okay, Deron Williams is the next Allen Iverson. Agreed! The Jazz will not make the playoffs, just watch hahaha. Classic Jazz basketball; melt in the 4th quarter and watch it happen in front of them. Dirk was on fire!

When are the fingers going to be pointed at Sloan? haha. Jazz are as good as Memphis...maybe worse?

They are going to get destroyed by the SPURS on Thurrsady. 1-4 start in first 5 games. Ouch. haha

• Zip Fugleston
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:35 p.m.

Boozer -27
    Millsap +11

Why on earth is Boozer still playing? If the Jazz think they can con someone into taking him by giving him playing time, they are wrong. Accept that Boozer is a bust this season and start playing Millsap. He should be starting and finishing games. We are a better team with Millsap. I'm not saying Millsap is a better player (though he may be). But we are a better team with Millsap.

I'm not sure I've ever been this frustrated with this team.

• Put the blame...
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:36 p.m.

Squarely on Sloan. His coaching staff and he simply failed. They had the squad out there to beat the Mav's and then in come Kirilenko and Boozer. The three smalls with Fez and Okur out there had this game wrapped up. Sloan, you have failed Jazz fans everywhere for the last time. Send the coach out to pasture and replace him with Mo Cheeks or Van Gundy-or anyone else for that matter. Jazz players should be running wind sprints till they are all puking and Boozer is in the hospital tomorrow, but Sloan is too soft (in the head and spirit) to do what needs to be done. You are only kidding yourself if you thing Boozer is trying. He's tanking right now to force the Jazz into a trade. Sloan should have Boozer behind the bench with Miles and Korver. He is more comforatable there.

• Idaho fan
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:38 p.m.

I love Sloan, but this group with this coach is not working. Boozer and Millsap are trying too hard to show he should be the one and are both falling on their collective face. Millsap should have been let go to Portland, he is a REALLY good role player, but not a star that can carry a team, and Boozer can't guard even my own 41 year old overweight and out of shape self, let alone take the ball to the basket. NO Free-throw attempts are you kidding me Boozer??!!! And Sloan needs to wake up after 4 straight games where the team collapses at the beginning of the 4th quarter with Williams on the bench. Give him a break in the middle of the 3rd or wait until the game is in the bag. Gotta do something soon because this line up doesn't get better defensively with CJ and Kyle. That leaves us with no interior presence still.

• JazzHater
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:40 p.m.

GO SPURS!!! THEY ARE GOING TO MESS UP THE PATHETIC JAZZ.

• Ugh
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:40 p.m.

This hurts. My 6 year old and 8 year old said that if the Jazz don't win on Thursday, they won't be Jazz fans anymore.

• usedtobefan
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:41 p.m.

Only positive is seeing Boozer in a contract year proving he deserves about the league minimum. I agree that Sloans got to go. I don't know when he had his backbone removed and therefore can't get in anyones face. Until someone calls these losers out they will continue to fold. If sloan stays trade D willy and let him play for a team that will give at least a fraction of the effort he does.

• Bob2
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:41 p.m.

Jerry Sloan wasn't out on the floor in the 4th quarter. He was sitting on the sidelines. On the court were really well paid professional athletes who have been in this same situation (having a run coming at you with half a quarter remaining) and who simply don't have the talent or heart to get it done as a team right now. Anything Sloan does or doesn't do in the fourth quarter at Dallas makes about half a percentage of difference compared to what the players bring to the situation. This is on THE PLAYERS. They are also the only ones who can dig themselves out of this awful hole. Sloan (or a change of coaches) will not do it and can't do it.

• LightsOut
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:44 p.m.

Can anyone say "lottery"?

• Jazz
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:44 p.m.

need to lower ticket prices 25% an take a comparable pay cut since they only show up for 3 quarters. Maybe this is the 4th year and we fans just won't show up.

• Tonight was tough....
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:45 p.m.

Sloan thinks that everyone should man up and push thru hard times. Well Sloan not everyone can do that. That is when you as the Coach are suppose to step in and be there for them and help them regroup.

Sloan is a good Coach no doubt. But I bet I could get my dog to mind if I kicked it. Point is being a good coach is understanding who your players are and putting them in the best situation possible to succeed. Tonight they needed him to throw them a bone and he kicked them. They learned a hard lesson tonight. Life is hard you can not count on anyone , not even your Coach....

• Blazers #1 fan
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:48 p.m.

How can all you Jazz fans not laugh?! This is hilarious!!! Hey look on the bright side, 2 lottery picks next summer...hahaha.

UTAH JAZZ. WHERE WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Again, Deron Williams is the next Allen Iverson.

Thursday's final game score against the Spurs:
    Spurs 104
    Jazz 87 hahaha

• todd from santa ana
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:51 p.m.

When will this state wake up? Force Jerry out that is the only hope. Any emotion should happen tomorrow constructive, because a big day Thursday with A Jazz home and RSL (I would take Kreis to run the Jazz)

Even when the Jazz were up because Dallas could not throw a pea in the ocean, I am thinking "we should be up 20-25". Dallas was not getting inside, living on jumpers. When Boozer was not in, the defense was mostly good. Millsap, and Price in the 1st half, even Okur with the boards and 2 blocks. Charges were taken. Rotations were good.

The first sign of adversity, and the players collapse. Up 76-60 over the final 8:17 we were outscored "36 to 9". only 4 Boozer hoops 1 in garbage time. Several turnovers during this span including 3 by our friend "snoozie". During the Jazz Run, they panic with turnovers and perimeter rushed shots.

Sloan calls no timeouts. Dallas Dirk goes off against mostly single Okur coverage who was lame. Could have tried Koustos in, and AK to guard DIrk.

Dallas played without Howard, Thomas and Gooden.

Kidd hits 3 unguarded all game

I could go forever..

• Can you say...
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:52 p.m.

Conditioning?

• to Ugh:
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:52 p.m.

Tell your sons that might as well stop being Jazz fans now, in case you did not know, the Jazz play the Spurs in Thursday.

1-4 start in the first 5 games. GO BLAZERS!!!

• interesting...
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:53 p.m.

The starters have been getting starter minutes as if the Jazz are in the playoffs. D-Will playing 43 minutes in game 4, a game where Price and Matthews are playing well? Desperately trying to get Boozer back in the game despite his horrendous +/-? Okur hobbling up-and-down the court in the second half contributing nearly nothing?

Well, these are not the playoffs, and we already know these starters need solid bench support and different lineups in order to pull off making the playoffs, let alone winning a series.

• Duh
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:53 p.m.

That's why I don't watch them, that's why I don't care. This club will never go anywhere. Can't get good players. Sure we have Williams but he can't carry this team. It took Stockton and Malone to make this team good but even that was not enough to win a championship. How does anyone even think that the Jazz will ever be good. To small of a market, no one wants to be here except second tier players. I will keep rooting for Boston, they have always wanted to succeed. Can't blame Sloan for that, it's on the players. You can't teach desire, it has to come from within. You also can't teach talent, we just can't get enough of it. We keep making stupid picks every draft. One every 15 years isn't going to do it.

• This Jazz team
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:54 p.m.

is Charmin soft. Until they get a defensive stopper on this team they will never make it out of the first round. KOC and Sloan, you aren't going to create a stopper out of any of these softies. Better figure that out soon.

PS I know Sloan doesn't read.... But seriously, get Boozer into the second row where he belongs. His very presence is destroying this team and is preventing the Jazz from developing the young bigs they have. Fesenko played fairly well, but he needs to play more and heaven forbid if Koufus actually get in the game.
    The Jazz are only four games in and already I am looking at what they could get if they tanked the rest of the season. Not a good feeling.

• Haha
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:55 p.m.

Losing is something that all you lame Jazz fans are going to have to get used to this season! haha!

Jazz are terrible.

My favorite team is whom ever the Jazz are playing.

I was laughing my head off when the game went final!!! hahahaha

• I am glad I worked late
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:55 p.m.

and did not watch this. I did hear Houston radio gloat over Dallas taking a win away from the Jazz. It was over by the time I got home.

I could pile on Sloan/Boozer etc. but why bother. It just is not worth following this joke anymore.

I may adopt the Rockets they at least fix whatever problems they have and try to win.

• Pay for performance
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:57 p.m.

I would give anything if we could take athletes salaries and tie them to performance. Like in the real world, if you or I don't perform at work guess what we get fired. If you or I acted like a premadona at work guess what we get fired! If you or I show a lack in effort guess what happens, we get fired! And surely if you or I blew a sale that was virtually in the bag we would get fired!

Boozer, Ak, Milsap, Williams, Sloan etc... So I wasn't blessed to be 6'7" or have a verticle jumped of 40" but you can be dang sure I know what it means to give it everything you got and then some. You can be sure I know what it means to WIN and you canbe sure I know that NONE of you do! And guess what I do it ALL without my multimillion dollar guranteed contract... You know frankly I don't think Anyone of you could ever do what I do!

• It's almost as if
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:58 p.m.

Sloan was trying to lose the game. Poor coaching. You could just see Millsap's frustration coming out of the huddles in the 4th quarter. Millsap knows the team's better with him on the floor. But what does Jerry do?...keep the same lineup in the game. Loozer is just a cancer on the court and in the locker room. Loozer and Millsap played nearly the same amount of minutes yet...

Loozer -27
    Millsap 11

Put Carlos on the bench!!!!!

• todd to Bob2
    Nov. 3, 2009 9:58 p.m.

Wrong,

What you could do is the following:

Call John Lucas assistant coach of the Clops

Hire him interim basis for the season.

If he does well make him permanent coach. If OK then offer to keep as assistant.

He calls players out questions theyre character. He has worked with Eric Gordon and other young guards in this league. He played with tough guys as a player. Mose Malone, Bob Lanier. He gets in your face and is intense.

He will make these players accountable and you will see a noticable difference in this squad..

• To bob2
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:02 p.m.

did you watch the game? 100% this one on coaching and management. why did they bring milsap back, dump boozer ,and try to unload ak?

• Boozed
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:05 p.m.

Too bad we stuck with Booz this long in the game - time to just eat the salary and let him ride the bench. At least use the time to help the guys that want to try get better.

• Calgary
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:06 p.m.

Finally more and more people are seeing real problem - Sloan. On the other hand it may turn out really good we may have Sloan finally gone from Utah and two lottery picks next year.
    Jazz so far look like new Knicks, 88 mil salary and out of playoffs.

• TXexile
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:09 p.m.

I would rather see the Jazz lose and get to the lottery, personally. As soon as Boozer decided to stay there was just no way this team was going to be good this year. They should have just dropped every contract they could and given AK and Booz a ton of playing time to increase their trade value. Signing Milsap was just plain dumb. He's great and all, but you have to know he is about the 8th man on a championship team. Heck, Okur is (was) a backup on a championship team. Management just seems so happy to prop up other teams' scraps. Why? Just decide to rebuild and get some great draft picks. SLC will never bring in the big free agents, so just plan to draft high. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:13 p.m.

Poor D-Will. Can we lure Chris Bosh here next year via free agency? And politely let Jerry know it's time to take a permanent vacation? One can only hope. I'm already through with this season.

• 100 yard stare...........
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:14 p.m.

I look in Sloan's eyes and I am telling you he has lost the edge. It is just like in "TOPGUN".

Rotations have nothing to with who is playing well or actually making a difference in the game. He is desperate and he is making rash decisions. That spells trouble. And to think we are talkin extension.

• Blazers #1 fan
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:14 p.m.

hey everyone I'm a giant idiot. haha

PORTLAND TRALBLAZERS WERE BEING OVERRATED HAPPENS

HAHAHA

• DWill_8_4_real
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:17 p.m.

Sorry jazz fanz let ya down for rlz tonite

• Spurs #1 fan
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:18 p.m.

The Spurs are coming to town with Manu Ginobili to swat down the Jazz like the bats they are!!! hahaha. Get ready Jazz this is going to be the beatdown of the year for u all. There will be no 4th quarter meltdown, you guys won`t even get started much less finish. GO SPURS!!!

• Angry
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:23 p.m.

I can take losses. No problem. It's not just about winning. But it makes me FURIOUS to see these guys out there not even trying. Where's the passion?

• More on Sloan
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:24 p.m.

What happened to the guy that said he should have been playing Ronnie Price more after the team lost badly to the Lakers in the first round?

• Portland fans
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:25 p.m.

How was tonights choke job and the great signing of Andre Miller and his $32 million contract? Haha. Both jazz and blazers are awful

• Frank Layden
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:30 p.m.

Was a good coach, not a great coach. Frank Layden was still a good enough coach to know that Mark Eaton plugged up the paint on defense and stopped the layups and dunks. Frank Layden would have had Fes in there after Dirks 2nd lay up in the 4th quarter to take back control of the paint and not allow Dirk to get himself going. A Big man like Fes in the paint allows the other players to guard the perimeter better as well. Frank Layden or ANY other coach thats worth their salt would have called a timeout when the momentum changed in the 4th quarter and made some adjustments.

Sloan must go, he even worse than last year. Greg call a timeout and make some adjustments.

• todd to portland
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:38 p.m.

andre stinks...

• Anonymous
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:50 p.m.

I kinda hope the Jazz continue to blow, then have two lottery picks in the 2010 draft. How sweet would it be to get John Wall and Derrick Favors for 2010-11?

• SLOAN, KOC, #5 GOTTA GO!!!!!
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:50 p.m.

Can someone, anyone, please tell me why Sloan will NOT call a timeout when the other team is on a huge run? Really, I don't get it. That's fundamental basketball. You slow down the pace, regroup your team, and get everyone on the same page.

I love and respect Sloan, but his time has come and gone. He no longer commands the respect of these players.

And really, why in the heck does he have Loozer out on the court? We pay all this money to re-sign Millsap and he sits while Mavs players roll past Loozer like a water through sand.

KOC also must go. And please, Greg Miller, don't embarrass yourself, the fans, and this franchise by evering wearing a %5 jersey again like you did on Sunday on KSL. What a joke!!! You're dad would have called it like he saw it. How sad!

• gdog3
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:57 p.m.

A friend of mine said it years ago. Jerry Sloan would rather lose his way than win aside from from it. Tonight was a classic example of that. Dirk goes off for 29 points in the 4th quarter and no double team ever came. Here's my take on this. Jerry is obsessed with life in the paint. I will get specific on the non-Dirk double team after laying the ground work for my non-flexible Sloan argument (no double team relationship). Hang with me. I stopped checking a few years back, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jazz are still atop the NBA in fewest 3 point shots taken/made and most 3 pointers given up in return. They led the league in that for years. Jerry has always let teams beat him from behind the arc. He only double teams in the paint and attacks only the paint on offense. Take a three, outside the big three, and get yanked. Dirk beat the Jazz from everywhere on the court. He faced up, pulled up, and drove as the Jazz played man defense to their grave. Games are only won in the paint eh Jerry?

• Sloan - I'll be your Assistant..
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:57 p.m.

Coach Sloan, I love you and the system - but maybe you need to sign me up as one of your assistant coaches to help extend your career... I would have told you to call timeout when the lead hit single digits, and then advised you to put our $17 million dollar defensive player (AK) on Dirk. I would have reminded Dwill in the Huddle we built the lead with him taking his guy to the hole, and not pulling up for J's. Pretty basic stuff, I could count the deflections for you as well if you can't add an assistant....

• gdog3
    Nov. 3, 2009 11:07 p.m.

Moving on. If you double team the paint, then you make teams beat you from the outside. That's Jerry. What I found odd was Jerry's post game comments. "We didn't double team Dirk because they (Mavs) have good shooters like Jason Kidd who can make three's. Jason Kidd, a good outside shooter? Uh, okay. Do your homework coach. I am not buying this answer though. Kidd could be Reggie Miller and Sloan would welcome the long ball to drop on the Jazz. The truth is that Sloan double teams the post, gives up 3 point bombs, and wants his defense to protect the paint. Well when the scorer hangs out in the paint, Jerry wants to crowd him man to man and force him inside where all the great Jazz defensemen dwell. You know the core crew who says "here come dunk in my grill. It's so funny because Jerry worships the paint on both sides of the ball yet can't get his players to attack the rim or defend it. Dirk dropped shots from everywhere as Memo stood and watched (outmatched on the perimeter).

• gdog3
    Nov. 3, 2009 11:10 p.m.

Tonight's non-double team of Dirk reminds me of whenever the Jazz play the Lakers. You know, when Kobe scores 40+ on the Jazz more than any other team in the league because the Jazz won't double team him. Hey, Ronnie Brewer is a nice defender, but for crud sake, how about giving him some help.

• gdog3
    Nov. 3, 2009 11:34 p.m.

No edit option here. What I meant to say was when the scorer hangs out on the perimeter (not paint), Jerry wants to crowd him man to man and force him inside where all the great Jazz defensemen dwell. You know the core crew who says "here come dunk in my grill. It's so funny because Jerry worships the paint on both sides of the ball yet can't get his players to attack the rim or defend it. Dirk dropped shots from everywhere as Memo stood and watched (outmatched on the perimeter).

• Sythe
    Nov. 3, 2009 11:43 p.m.

I agree with others on this board..I feel like I care more about the Jazz winning than half the players. I bet AK and Booz and Memo are just fine right now, but I'm still upset about this loss. Deron's probably still thinking about it...don't you think? We need more players that hate to lose..like Deron. KOC MAKE A CHANGE PLEASE!!! ANYTHING! I don't care if it makes us worse, I just don't want to watch these guys anymore that don't seem to care.

• William Grace in LA
    Nov. 3, 2009 11:49 p.m.

JAZZ NATION I been begging coach Sloan to call a time out like he did back in 2006&007 when his team was down in back to back years to the warriors one year and Rockets twice and Jazz came back to win all three series. I remember he would not let team be down by no more then seven points and he call a time out and the team would regain the led. Why cant he do this exact same thing when a regular game is getting out of hand??????? Whats keeping him from doing so I don't understand his logic in the regular season. We had the same collapses last year. I'am in Los angeles could someone closer please remind him of those series.

• sad jazz fan
    Nov. 3, 2009 11:58 p.m.

I think I know one reason the JAZZ are doing so poorly. the owners big fancy idea for FSN to be the exclusive broadcaster.Ive been a fan for a long but this year being unemployed I can't afford to go the games or cable. I don't know why it's still called kjzz. I think me and all the other fans that can't watch the gamesw put a curse on the players and coachs. I like basketball when the make cool plays what ever team.

• William Grace in LA
    Nov. 3, 2009 11:59 p.m.

JAZZ NATION please tell me if I'am way off base on my earlier coach Sloan time out comments. Does'nt anyone remember the Rocket series comebacks not to mention the Warriors. He used his time outs to preserve a led or not to get to far behind.

• doomed from the start....
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:01 a.m.

When we resigned Millsap for tons of money and didnt get rid of Boozer I knew this season was over. Lose 50 games jazz, drop boozer, Harpring (old), and Korver. Get Avery Johnson to be the coach get a solid center that can score down low and defend someone and get Corey Maggette. Or a good 2. When we had Derick Fisher we were playing for a shot to go to the finals. I think it speaks volumes that we have gotten worse every year since then. Let Price backup Williams and Let Cj shoot!!!

• re:Blazers #1 fan
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:07 a.m.

How bout them Hawks buddy? At least the Jazz lost to a good team. Enjoy your night!

• Upset Fan
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:11 a.m.

I have always been a Sloan supporter but tonight he was aweful. We talk about slowing down runs. Sloan do you know what a timeout is?

• Take a hike Jerry
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:13 a.m.

Pace Mannion is incompetent. "There was nothing the Jazz could do." Balony! How about playing zone, doubling Dirk, calling a time out or two to stop momentum. Memo cannot guard Dirk. Are you kiddng me Sloan? I hope Jerry does not come back. The funny thing is, up 13 with 6 mins left, I called it, I told my wife and mother in law that the Jazz would lose. Why? Cause when they get a lead, they pull the air out of the ball, run the shot clock to 2 and then jack up a shot. They need to keep executing, and put the clamps on Dirk. Popovich, Phil Jackson, Doc Rivers, would have come up with scheme to slow Dirk. Sloan is a hall of fame coach, but he is done. Let's move on. I am sick of blowing leads, and losing to bad teams at home. No defense, no outside shooting, and no brains from the coaching staff. I am furious!!!!

• Josh W
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:14 a.m.

Sloan is not the problem. The spolied rotten losers on the court are. Sloan asks for each player to come ready to play, give everything they have and work hard on defense. They get that from no one and the great DWill...he is not a leader and this is why he doen not get the attention he thinks he deserves. Go ahead and get rid of Sloan what will another coach demand...hard work, determination, and come to work everyday. The new coach won't get it either. Blame the problems on the ones who can turn it around simply with effort. Gee this team is great when the spolied brats and this includes the pretty boy with a bad knee, simply plays hard each night. WOW how simple is that. Anyone who wants to blame a coach for his players caring more about money (Okur, Millsap, Boozer, DWill, Miles, Korver)is terribly misled.

• Stock2Malone
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:15 a.m.

so I was watching the game and at the end of the third quarter I wasn't sure if I was supposed to feel excited about the Jazz being up by 16 points...

This is too good to be true

Then, as the true Boozer hater that I am, I see him at the start of the fourth quarter and I say to my girl, "watch, the Jazz just lost this game. Boozer is back in the game"

this guy needs to go. Mathews played well, it was good to see him not afraid to drive the hoop. Fes really changes things in the middle for us. Why doesn't sloan consider him to start and okur at pf since both milsap and booze are stinking it up for this team early this year?

Probably because that would mean sitting $20million and change on the bench for too long.

It's just really sad to see the bench and dwill get us a good lead and then to see our pathetic group of starting five come out and lose it
    1-5. not a good way to start...does anyone think this team can beat san antonio?

• Time to make some trades
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:16 a.m.

With the kind of talent assembled on this team, they should at the very least be good enough to contend for a three or four seed in the playoffs but right now they look like a team that would finish around tenth in the conference. First and foremost, trade boozer. He hasn't had a single decent game yet and his body language suggests to me that he doesn't want to be there. I say also trade AK and a few other guys in a package to acquire some sort of veteran that knows how to win on the road because clearly none of these guys know how.

• jbra80
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:18 a.m.

Still only 4 games in...78 more to go. I know it's not looking good but honestly it's not all that bad. What did you all expect from this team? From the start of training camp, and even before, we all knew this wasn't going to be a great year, we didn't fix any of our weaknesses. Just going off of the where teams were picked to finish, we should be 2-2, well we're 1 loss behind, big deal. We'll probably lose to SA, still only 1 loss off of where we should be. It's a long season of ups and downs, be patient.

I agree it's a horrible start, with a very bad trend forming that needs to be fixed, but with 78 games left, i think we have a little bit of time.

• RE: Blazers #1 fan
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:18 a.m.

ummm.... didn't you guys lose to Atlanta tonight @ home?? Im just sayin....

• Josh Williams
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:22 a.m.

Sloan is not the problem. Go ahead and fire him and the next coach will ask for the same thing Slaon does. he will ask for his players to come ready to work hard everyday and he will ask them to play defense. They don't do this now and they won't for some other guy. Also it is time for DWill to start acting like a leader instead of moping off the court. He shows no emotion at all. If the Lakers struggle Kobe rips into that player or the team to motivate like a good leader does...DWill has never done this. All he seems interested in is whether or not he is an all-star. Well he better get to work on his teammates because if they don't improve he will not be an all-star. So go ahead fire the coach because his players are out of shape lazy spoiled babies who don't care, I'm sure a new coach will be able to fix all that.

• Long time fan
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:59 a.m.

Sloan is NOT a cerebral/strategic coach. He runs his offense, hoards time-outs, and expects the players to work through game-time situations on their own. After all, they are making millions.

He will only start to call time-outs when it is too late.

If you look at the good coaches (Popavich, Phil), they don't hesitate to call the timeout and regroup. And, in most cases it seems to bring success to those teams.

In this game (pathetic loss), Sloan should have called a timeout the moment that Dallas scored two unanswered baskets in the four quarter. The momentum just kept building and building for Dallas.

I think Sloan is a pretty good coach, and can get a lot of work out of players, but I'm starting to get the sense that he just doesn't care too much if the team wins or loses...and I think that may be spreading down to the players.

• Matty.g
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:23 a.m.

Well that was disgusting. Its obvious that any chemistry we had is so fragile that it can brake in a matter of mins.. whatever the reason or whoever is to blame doesn't matter anymore. we have to make a change or this will just get worse

I liked reading your coments gdog3 but why'd you have to post the same thing 5 times over 2 different websites...? hmm

• todd on avery
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:37 a.m.

You all laughed at me when I mentioned him last year. Is it not ironic, now more and more see the truth. All of you are late. It should have been noted to management at the end of last season. You guys are worried the "poor players" will balk and not listen to a World Champion. I said a "World Champion", except for Okur who played little how many rings are on this roster? there you go. When Avery coached Dallas they were in the upper half of defense in this league for 2 years -the slip in round one of the playoffs to Nellie and his Boys...

Somehow, I could not picture Boozer surviving a week under Johnson. Oh what a shame.. No one made as much of a career as a little 6 foot guard they said could not shoot but ran a title team...Few were criticized in this league more....Also, Maggette is not nearly as bad defensively as many of you think and I watched him here for years.

It is all pointless, because Greg told you what he is going to do

As always "nothing"

• todd to jbra
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:41 a.m.

the eternal optimist. Will the players grow a heart? By the way I guess we might as well send Koustos back to the Flash if he will sit... No if they beat the Spurs and Sacramento we are not cured. After all a road trip starts monday at MSG

• todd to josh
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:43 a.m.

of course he is not the problem... Only a large part of it. ANother relative. It is cool. Tell you why, it is going down every night. For me to post here this late shows I am still bothered by this one it gutted me and frankly it should gut all of us....

• todd to josh
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:50 a.m.

Josh.....No offense...(get the pun) they said the same over the years about a lot of coaches, then a new guy comes in. Oh lets see I remember one Bob Hoskins in Seattle for the 1978-1979 season. He was known to be a wet noodle, players did not like him and he started (3-10). Lenny Wilkins takes over and starts a huge run of success. He changed roles, out Johnny Johnson in to start, demoted Fred Brown to super sub, tweaked a few things and missed beating the Bullets by one game for the title. The next year they came back and beat the same team for the title.

This team underachieves and a new voice can make a difference.

• Jazz Need a Change!
    Nov. 4, 2009 2:01 a.m.

I am no pro coach or GM, but it was obvious that the Jazz needed to get rid of Boozer and they were offered David Lee on a silver platter and turned it down! They could have made Portland eat Millsap's big contract offer, gotten rid of Boozer and been way UNDER the salary cap with David Lee as our starter! BTW, David lee scored 28 and 10 the other night to beat New Orleans for New York!

Now me as a typical Fan was screaming for the Jazz to do this exact scenario at the very beginning right when the trade was offered. If I can see that, why can't Kevin O'conner & Sloan have seen this?

Jazz are not even making the playoffs this year as Phoenix improved and we have gotten worse by remaining the same! (something Sloan campaigned for) Now it is time for a change starting at the top and for Sloan to respectfully retire off into the sunset!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 4:02 a.m.

70+ games left and everyone jumps off the bandwagon. typical jazz fans.

• Different perspective
    Nov. 4, 2009 4:26 a.m.

How can you say Sloan was not the problem? Sure he cannot go out there and play the game and a huge portion of responsibility is on the players, but He is 100% in charge of the game plan. Why carry more than 5 guys on the team if your not going to use them when the guys on the floor are crumbling before your eyes. Why have timeouts?? This stuff is pretty amateur. And that is problem. When the average fan can see what is going on yet management cannot , you will have some problems.

You know food for thought. Jerry demands the best from his players NOW. Yet for jerry it is his past that gets him through. Because if you judged him by his performance NOW , I do not think you could really say alot. I think someone needs to take a couple steps back and really dissect this situation.

• Solution
    Nov. 4, 2009 5:25 a.m.

You can always become a Nugget fan!!

• What's up?
    Nov. 4, 2009 5:40 a.m.

JERRY--- CALL TIME OUT!!!!!

• Builder Bob
    Nov. 4, 2009 6:26 a.m.

Nevada fan has summed it up! I echo those sentiments a thousand times and again!

• John Wicks
    Nov. 4, 2009 6:36 a.m.

Dirk needed to be knocked on his rear end 4 or 5 times hard. That would have been a good job for Koufos but no the Jazz just play way too soft. It's time for the Jazz to get some heart and swagger back in their play. The bench could also show some emotion instead of just sitting there. It's time for Jerry to get fired up and fix things!!!

• apathetic
    Nov. 4, 2009 6:56 a.m.

Its gotten to the point that I've stopped caring. Boozer has damaged this team and left a deep wound with fans to the point that we have stopped caring.

Goodbye jazz.

• nottyou
    Nov. 4, 2009 6:59 a.m.

The only thing more painful than watching this game was the 2 minutes I tried to listen to the game on the radio. It was like listening to an amateur-hour radio contest. Dave Locke is a terrible play-by-play announcer. If I can't watch the game I definitely won't listen to the game. That is a sad commentary on the selection process the Jazz went through to choose Hot Rod's successor. Good luck with that choice.

• Cowboy Joe
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:30 a.m.

The Jazz are fast becoming pathetic. I am tired of everyone just blaming Boozer, I am not a Boozer fan by no means, the problems are way greater. The guards, DWILL BREWER, included can not stay in front of their man if their lives depended on it. Okur looks so out of place playing defense, and playing down low, Millsap is undersized and a major dissapointment, at least Millsap made a Poster with MELO. Slown isn't adjusting.

Same problems as the end of last year. I really think the players have completely tuned out Slown. They lose on the Road at home, on back to backs. They can't beat playoff teams.

Much greater problems than just Boozer. So stop blaming him.

• Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:36 a.m.

@ Bob2: Did you watch the 4th quarter? Jerry, yes Jerry left Memo on Dirk. No one in their right mind would have Memo guarding Dirk. No One. It wasn't even a contest. Memo has no business guarding Dirk. NO Business. Even you Bob can't defend the logic last night. Jerry needs to be fired. He doesn't even watch the game that he is coaching. Price would have done a better job guarding Dirk than Memo did. It was complete insanity last night in the 4th quarter. Jerry is so concerned about who is playing in the 4th quarter instead of who "should" be playing.

• Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:41 a.m.

Wake up people. Dwill is becoming a huge problem. He is playing for himself. He only cares about being an Allstar this year. He plays no defense and is only looking to put up stats, not win games.

• 2 first round picks
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:44 a.m.

It appears the Jazz are shooting for 2 early first-round picks for the 2010 draft. They will already get one from the Knicks and then they will have their own. All they gotta do is keep losing! :)

• Re: Anon @ 4:02am
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:47 a.m.

This isn't just about the 4 games from this season; this is a carryover from the 82 games last season. Get over yourself!

• D WADE
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:49 a.m.

THE PROBLEM JERRY SLOAN his famous system doesn't work no more its garbage, and boozer just horrible he needs to be traded fast, or we are looking at draft one or two kevin o'connor worst management of 09' LETS just stop going to the HOME GAMES and stop watching FSN just to get their attention....
    then something might happen with those two

• Frusterated, but loyal fan
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:53 a.m.

Todd I agree, I think they should have put AK on Dirk, Don't get me wrong I love Memo but he isn't quick enough to guard Dirk, especially on a bad leg, he needed help, and it wasn't there. I was also not to thrilled with D-Will last night, all game long I kept screaming at the T.V "Get on him Deron" but he didn't and the result was three...after three by kidd, wide open. And don't get me started on Boozer, as soon as he came in I looked at my dad and said "Uh-oh, we aren't going to hold this lead" Oh well it's early in the season, I have been a Jazz fan for about 18 years, and I am not about to quit now, that is what a good fan does, stands behind their team, through the good and bad...even really bad times:(

• jbra80
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:57 a.m.

Todd the Pessimist (or however that is spelled):
    I thought you had changed a little bit, I saw some of your posts in the preseason and you were looking kind of optimistic, but now its same old same old. It's great you live and die with the Jazz, I can tell you are true Jazz fan, but you need to relax a little bit. I'm not sure of your age but a heart attack seams to be in your future (not wishing it on you, just an observation). When was the last time you supported them with the same emotion that you rip them with every night.

My problem is that you seam to place all the blame on Jerry, like someone else can just walk in and fix this. How long did it take for the Mavs to tone out Avery's annoying voice, their fall was coaching and too many front office moves, not talent. At least spread the blame a little more evenly, because nobody is doing their part at this point. This roster has only 1 defensive minded player, so we can't expect great D, just better effort which is the players problem.

• azrickslc
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:04 a.m.

Jerry Sloan is one of my idols, but what is the point of letting them "play thru" that kind of a run?!!!? We are a veteran team not a bunch of rooks! Again I love J sloan but enough is enough!! Time for a complete make over. New coach, keep deron and the rest can go! With 2 lotto picks next draft we could be right back in a short time. Please Jerry go out with class and with the work ethic you have always had.

• Hugh G. Hater
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:06 a.m.

My fellow Jazz fans-

Think to yourself for a moment. Did you really expect any other result deep down inside your heart of hearts when you heard Boozer would be back and Sloan was on an extension?

Yes, the players have no heart right now it seems but last time I checked, players don't call timeouts or set the rotations (or lack thereof), the coach does.

Again, nothing is going to change unless there is a coaching/management/player shakeup. So stop buying tickets, turn off the tv and pick up a book or something. Until fans quit showing up to the ESA, lil Greggy boy will do nothing.

• Only 4 games in...
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:09 a.m.

Jazz fans. This is a young team that is lacking confidence, true jazz fans will stand behind them.

Dont get me wrong, I have been fuming all morning from that pathetic 4th quarter. I would have liked to see a couple changes.

-No Booze in crunch time, wait, no booze period.
    -I have no problem with sloan, he is a GREAT coach and we need him. But I would like to see some of his old fire, the team will take on that personality, and maybe a timeout would be nice.
    -Deron should have put up 30+, no way that grandpa kidd or that midget barrea can guard him.
    -Put the KUF on dirk, he is althletic and long. I know its risky, but its the spark you need, cause he would have played with heart.
    -This team needs to be better conditioned.

• Sammy sez
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:13 a.m.

Thanks Kevin O Connor for getting the Jazz a center who can score. Would it be too much to ask to get a center who can score and DEFEND as well? Okur might be playing with a bad leg, but he cannot defend anyone whether he's playing on one good leg or two. Boozer has to go, his attitude is destroying the team. I'm wondering if Millsap has gotten lazy now that the Jazz threw the big bucks his way. Greg Miller put a lot of money into this mess and now there is no easy way out. I hear Tyrus Thomas is not happy with the Bulls. Maybe the Jazz can trade Boozer to Chicago for Tyrus Thomas. Boozer said he wanted to go to Chicago anyway. Regardless, the Jazz absolutely must get some players who will lead by example and work the defensive end of the floor. AK, Okur, Boozer, Korver, all of them are soft as butter when it comes to playing defense. The time has come for management to shake things up and get rid of the softees on this team.

• Put Blame In Right Place
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:14 a.m.

Don't put much blame on the players for this fiasco this year and last. The people that have put this team together for the past 4-5yrs through the draft, free agent signings, and trades deserve all of this blame. Now who are they? Not the Miller family, as they are the payees. Not the players because of their short comings, but I would say this coaching staff, and the GM deserve all of the blame! Whatever your system is you have to recruit via draft, trades and free agent signings to get players that fit your system and that hasn't happened. The Millers have let you bozo's put them at the second highest payroll in the NBA by believing that you knew what your doing. I know what I would do VERY soon now that you have failed me, and that is you would be calling a moving van right after my talk with you today! Guaranteed! All of you. This is worse than "Pathetic".

• Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:19 a.m.

Sloan is not the problem? Take your blinders off. Jerry is the coach of this team. A good coach makes adjustments during the game. Jerry decided two nights ago that Memo should guard Dirk in the 4th quarter. Jerry wasn't even paying attention to the game, during the game. He did all his coaching in his room the night before as he laid out his game plan. No need to adapt DURING the game. He is smarter than everyone else.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:19 a.m.

Every jazz fan that is jumping off the bandwagon isnt a jazz fan at all. I am disappointed with my team but I will still listen to every game from here on out. (Listen because the lame U of U doesnt carry FSN in the dorms.)
    I think the one thing that can change this is for Sloan to get in peoples faces and turn into that old sloan that we love. The team takes on the personality of its coach, and right now our coach is acting lathargic. But I know he can turn it around.

• Only played 4 games
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:31 a.m.

And I'm already so disgusted I can't watch any more. You can't coach heart. You can't instill a killer instinct that just isn't there. I'm done with this group of powder puffs!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:31 a.m.

At least we have the knicks 2010 draft pick :)

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:36 a.m.

I hate to say it. But Fes and AK have been two of our top +/- guys so far. I dont like either of them, but as far as im concerned the crunch time lineup needs to be Deron, Brewer, AK, Paul, and Fes. Maybe Memo depending on the match up. PAUL STAY OUT OF FOUL TROUBLE, THEN WERE NOT STUCK WITH BOOZE IN THE 4TH!!

• To all Sloan lovers
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:43 a.m.

I have stood behind him, but his time has passed as a head coach in this league. No double teams on Dirk. He put memo on Dirk, come on. The Rockets had scrubs putting up double figures last game. Gimme a break guys, this loss is all about the coach. You cannot continue to just let Dirk go one on one with Memo. It is not Memo's fault, he is not a perimeter defender, much less on one of the top 10 players in the league in Dirk. I still support the Jazz, but I am ready for a change. Oh, and let's ship out Looooozer. Carlos has got to go.

• Apollo Sun
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:49 a.m.

Why are so many of you still trying to blame Boozer?!?!?! It wasn't him that was the problem against Dallas last night! It was clearly Memo Okur!!!

Memo Okur is one of the worst defenders i have ever seen play basketball! Awful! Slow, no effort, so easy to get past and doesnt even hustle. At least if he put the effort in i would say, he tried his best. Watch the highlights again and watch how many times Dirk Nowitski walks past Okur or shoots over him. Now notice that all slow-ass Okur does is lift one arm up to make it look like he was guarding his man. PATHETIC. Talk about what is costing this team? Defending like that. At least Boozer is a better attacking option. Okur is slow and overrated on offense (with the exception of his 3 shooting) and absolutely poison on defense!!!!!!

Lets start Williams, Brewer, Kirilenko, Boozer, Koufos..... and notice the defensive improvement! We may actually win some games!!!!!!!!!

• todd to jbra
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:59 a.m.

That is the problem. For most of his career, I liked Jerry as a coach because he would go off on the refs, get into peoples faces and called decent timeouts and had a flow for the game. He worked well when he needed to put in Keefe, Shannon or Eisley. SOme of you are right in that he seems to have lost the fire. The only thing I can say it maybe the national tv game tomorrow will bring the best back out of him, because if the players have any pride they know what is being said about them. I would trust they would not want to lay an egg on tv vs the Spurs.

I am 47 JBRA> You are right I get emotional. Why? Because I Think the Jazz talent wise are no worse than #4 in the Western Conference. Having had NBA league pass for the free week watching other teams is making it worse. Now Phoenix plays defense. Richardson, Hill and Steve on fire. Within 2 years Memphis, MInn and OK City could be better than us by 2011-2012 if we stay stagnant. Talent wise they are getting better. We are backwards.

• Morons
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:03 a.m.

Poke him in the eye, kick him in the shin or groin do something to slow him down. It's not rocket science.

Boozer will be lucky to start on any team next year, hope he enjoys his future 2 year 8MM contract he'll get with Memphis. At that price he's worth it.

• todd from santa ana
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:04 a.m.

I have to go, but in closing. The Jazz will NOT FALL APART COMPLETELY. They have enough on talent alone to win 45 and get an #8 seed. Those defining difference of 10-12 wins a team separate the great from the ugly. If we have young talent we need to use it, and Kous could have been thrown in there last night to try something different. Even my reports from Sacramento tell me the Kings organization are in love with the young talent and how Westie is developing them. So obviously, you hear these things and wonder what is the problem with a squad although limitations are a top4 west side?

• Game?
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:18 a.m.

I couldn't watch the game. I don't have cable or dish. Without it being broadcast on KJZZ, I can't follow the team. Also, the team is lame. Thus, I've lost all interest

• WISS
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:19 a.m.

I am disgusted with every member on this team save Williams. Milsap is fine as a backup, as is Brewer, and that is about it. We entered the luxury tax for this? This is going to be a very, very long season unfortunately.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:21 a.m.

THE JAZZ DO NOT HAVE THEIR OWN DRAFT PICK

• See ya Sloan
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:25 a.m.

Why in the world did he bench Matthews????

• Sneaky Jimmy
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:33 a.m.

Todd is right. Why no ak on Dirk. Deny him the ball by getting up in his grill. I really don't get this team.

• John
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:37 a.m.

What Sloan needs to do is put some cheese and maybe some jalapenos and maybe some gaucamole on the Jazz players as the 4th quater starts... I think the Jazz can melt the cheese going down the 4th!!

• todd from santa ana
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:41 a.m.

I am a person. Last night, I saw the pained look and frustrated look by Jerry. I am sure he is upset at himself and the way his team responded under pressure. The thing is Jerry as a deserved Hall of Famer needs to start coaching like one. In the off season, I tried to change my attitude without being asked to. The reason, i know I alienated people with at times the overdone "sloanaholic" stuff and complaints. It was a matter of being more respectful to Utah Culture which is different than SO Cal. It is more about the working guy, the values and ethics taking priorities. I thought about it and tried to see you guys have a different point of views about the "winning at all cost syndrome" or to be Nugget guys-jerks. Jerry is not the worst coach in the league. He is not among the best either. I would take Jerry over Karl. The real coaches on Denver are Gregovich and Dantley.

All I want is a team that cares, will work and play and coach to its talent level. All of this now is missing, we cannot have a carryover of last season

• TheWiz
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:44 a.m.

Seriously? Again? Looks like old #5's time is up here! Greg, do your team (and its fans) a favor by getting a good defender for Boozer!

• Cowboy Joe
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:46 a.m.

Who taught Memo to play perimiter defense. Why did he crowd Dirk, Dirk just blew past him. Why didn't Memo back up a foot or two so he could guard against the penetration and get a hand in Dirk's face if he goes to shoot. Is this Slown's teaching or Memo's lack of defensive know how.

• zzzzzzzz
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:48 a.m.

Yawn. If the Jazz continue to operate the same way and make no moves to improve their team, blaming their failures on injuries, why should we be surprised that they continue to achieve the same shoddy results?!

Sloan needs to accept the fact that he is the one responsible for leading and motivating the team. He is the one calling the shots, making the substitutions, determining playing time, calling the plays, approving roster moves, etc. He appears to be unwilling to accept responsibility for most of that, and until something changes at the top, we're doomed to this kind of performance over and over and over this season.

This team needs a big-time shake-up in the worst way!

• David Decker
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:51 a.m.

I agree with most of the comments. Too repeat my comment on another story. Coach lost it. No timeouts. Plus!! Fes and Koufus should have been rotated banging Kirk until they both fouled out. All the Sloan, Williams comments about how great Kirk is are correct. Good thing they never had to face the greatest!! Kareem

• Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:06 a.m.

No CJ.... NO WIN,Miles would have completely stopped Dirk,he`s our only stopper on defense

• What I am tired of:
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:09 a.m.

Is all of the Loan apologists that have been defending him and saying he is a great coach. Was a great coach til the playoffs is more like it. He can not substitute because of his ego and he doesn't know who to play. fire him and save the season. We will not keep going to these games when they show no heart. Not with the economy the way it is. Tell sloan's family to quit getting on here and trying to show support when they to must be tired of the same old stuff

• Illinois Jazzfan
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:10 a.m.

Boozer is horrible and embarrassing. He doesn't play defense, doesn't rebound, and can't shoot. If he's doing it on purpose to try and force an early trade so he can "perform" for his new team and next year's free agency frenzy, then I sincerely hope it backfires on him.

In fact, Sloan should just sit his $12.7M butt on the bench - give him a few "DNP - Coach's Decision" entries in the box scores and see how he feels about that. Seriously - how could it hurt?

• Bye Jerry
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:17 a.m.

You sealed your fate. Don't you remember the hand signal for calling a timeout. Koufos, Fes, A.K., Milsap, or even a zone defense would have been better options than Memo Slowkur. Wes Mathews should have been in there the way he was playing too. Your bias's against the younger players are ruining your great reputation and career. You should retire before you completely blow your reputation and this organization. Do the right thing before Greg is forced to fire you.

• Never EVER
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:20 a.m.

EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER

WILL THIS TEAM WIN ANYTHING WITH OKUR AND BOOZER "GUARDING THE PAINT"!

NEVER EVER EVER!!!

• jbra80
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:25 a.m.

Todd: I'll agree with you that Jerry has lost some of his fire. I remember the days of him nearly attacking opposing players (Rasheed in Portland comes to mind) and ripping officials constantly for 48 minutes, he doesn't seam to have that anymore. I'm just not going to put the entire blame for the poor start on him or overreact at the start of the season. We knew management did nothing to improve. We knew we were returning the same big stiffs that we call our frontline. I thought going in to the year, with everyone opting in, that this was kind of a throw away year because the franchise is handcuffed. I was just hoping for a 4-7 seed and possibly getting out of rd 1, depending on the matchup. It's too early to write this team off. As much as I dislike Booz, I think he is bound to turn it around. AK is playing some good all around basketball, not 18 mil good, but good basketball. What i'd like to see is Fes get about 20-25 minutes a night and let Okur rest more for the stretch run.

• JazzFan4Life (re: miles/todd)
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:32 a.m.

I'm proud of you! Not once did you mention that if CJ was healthy he would have solved all our problems. I figured you were going to talk about how he could have shut down Dirk or how he would single handedly matched Dirk point for point and then hit the game winning shot. It's good to see some progress in getting over your obsession of CJ!

That being said there are a lot of problems with this team. The blame goes to EVERYONE in the organization. At the top, Coaches, players, EVERYONE. Yeah Sloan really messed up but come on! Every player on the court just sat there and let that (Dirk) happen. Until we trade boozer for a decent 2 and 3, and get some interior defence we will always put up results like these. One positive thing about this game is maybe it triggers some moves to be made sooner rather than later.

P.S. Jeeze Todd how long do spend time writting comments on here? I do agree with you about Avery Johnson though. He's a great young coach and is a perfect example of someone who can turn a team around defensively.

• todd from santa ana
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:59 a.m.

The Dallas announcers last night stated (they are homers)after Dirk hit a pair of shots to get going the Jazz should have tried someone other than Okur on him. Those are the things that get us because even they questioned Sloan and said so on the air. Also, they pointed out correctly, the Jazz did attempt to man up and play zone but neither worked. I do not blame it all on Boozer either. Miles. Spare us. CJ on Dirk? That is gong show material...The times I get excited about this team are whem Price and Milsap first come in and change the intensity, defense and energy level. I wish they all could do this for 48 minutes have a good day....

• condon21
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:09 a.m.

I agree with Todds comments and thank him for trying to understand we back SLoan. I can see the frustration we all have and it is filtering through the players and the community. Having said this Jerry needs to do better coaching, the players need more heart and mental toughness and if this happens things will get better. However, if it does not turn around Jerry should see this and maybe think to himself, I do not need this any more. I have a still relatively new wife, grandkids and my health and time to move on...

• Blazers Hater
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:30 a.m.

Hey Blazers #1 Fan - How did Portland do against Atlanta last night. Ouch. Ha. Ha.

• re:pollo sun
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:32 a.m.

Memo is not a great defender. This is true. However, Sloan is the one that put him on Dirk. No matter how bad Memo wants, he cannot defend Dirk. This was a coaching error. Great job Sloan!

• Knew it
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:42 a.m.

After the Jazz had built a sizable lead in the third quarter, my wife said, somewhat suprised, "wow, they are beating the Mavs by 15 points!" "Don't worry," I said, "they still have the whole 4th quarter to blow it." Wow, I am some kind of genius. Or not. Maybe I just know who this team is. They are a bunch of concrete-footed, me-first, overpaid, emotionally fragile pansies. The moment something goes wrong, they are toast. Dirk makes a few shots, start planning for Wed. DWill gets a charge against Houston with the Jazz down by four, make dinner reservations in Dallas. Seriously, blow this thing up. Anyone who thinks that this Jazz team--the 2nd most expensive team in the league, mind you--can compete in the Western Conference, let alone our Division, needs help. If Denver can trade AI for Chauncey, can't we trade Boozer for someone not named Boozer???

• Stop blaming the players
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:42 a.m.

for the most part they are doing what they can. They got a 3 quarter lead. DAL adjusted and Sloan did not.

Why is Memo on one leg defending Dirk? Because Sloan has a veteran bias against playing Fez and Koufos who have 2 legs and can defend better. It is not Okur's fault. He is doing everything he can.

Why aren't Millsap and Boozer playing better? The Sloan system is broken by lack of wing shooting ability and that fouls up the PF offense.

Why can't the Jazz defend fast guards like Lawson/Brooks. Sloan never recruited anybody who could defend them and probably would not play them if he did.

Why can't the Jazz defend the 3 against good outside teams. Because Sloan concedes the 3 to protect the paint with Okur and Boozer who are offensive not defensive players. Is that Okur/Boozers fault? No.

Why wasn't AK assigned to guard Dirk? Who knows. Probably the same reason Sloan did not try a zone. He did not want to.

To claim that Sloan/KOC are not to blame is nuts. Sloan/KOC designed this team and picked each player.

• dana
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:49 a.m.

I watched the game with Denver excited for a new year. But what I saw was the same old slow-footed, weak-inside, and lethargic theam that I saw last year. I have always been a big Sloan backer but fresh blood is needed. Also, I do not understand the love for Okur. He is way too unathletic to compete defensively adn is really a one trick pony. He needs to go a long with half of the roster. It is time to take thier lumps and rebuild. Make some trades and start over. This team as presently constructed is dysfunctional and will go nowhere.

• @Todd
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:00 p.m.

The Jazz need better defense and outside shooting. They need a new coach. I think Sloan is a hall of famer. That said, his time has passed, and his schemes just are not working. Let's go get Avery Johnson. Utah is his type of team. Let's trade Boozer. (Tyrus Thomas would have been nice, he is a good defender and can put up 15 and 10) Let's get the Knicks draft pick and not waste it like we have on Koufos and Maynor. Next year with Boozer gone, couple good defenders and a new coach, this team could do something. I say that with due respect to Sloan, he has earned his stripes over the years, but it aint workin anymore. What do you think Todd?

• Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:03 p.m.

@Jazzfan4life: Don't worry, Houdini (comma man) will do that post for me sometime today. He gets a thrill out of writing garbage under the name of "Miles". Even I know that CJ is not the right person to be guarding Dirk. I would have tried AK or Boozer on him or at least a double team as soon as he caught the ball.

• Houdini to Todd
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:04 p.m.

Relax a bit man,we have the pieces in place to turn this around,and we WILL,yes Sloan messed up,but so did the team,including Williams,I really believe Fes needs to get 25 minutes or so,especially against teams with Dampier type centers,less time against the Duncan`s and Amare`s,think about it

• All roads lead to Sloan
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:11 p.m.

Why is this obvious to everyone but Greg Miller? Sloan calls the plays. Sloan picks the roster. Sloan calls (or not!!!) the timeouts. Sloan makes the substitutions (like bloody freaking clockwork, regardless of who's head is or is not in the game!!!)

In Sloan's defense, he did not wreck Okur's ankle or Korver's knee or Miles's thumb. But Sloan needs to react to each of those circumstances and get out of his "coaching by remote control" mode.

Also, I noticed from the box score that Fesenko, Okur and Koufos did not foul out of the game. Sloan, if you want to stop Nowitzki, use up the remaining 10 fouls from those three players. Yes, Dirk's a great FT shooter, but if you could tell your players to foul him, at least that would show us that you're alive and into the game.

Something's gotta give before I get any more interested in this team.

• Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:12 p.m.

@Todd: Aren't you smart enough to know by now that Houdini is writing those posts about CJ? Come on, you know Houdini as well as anyone. Have you seen him comment today? He prefers to lurk under other names. Soon he will be Magnus and you.

• RE Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:29 p.m.

Boozer on Dirk???? now that`s funny,and you claim to know the game??? clueless

• DW8>CP3
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:34 p.m.

Been a Jazz an for 25yrs now, I have supported the good the bad and the ugly for a quarter centry now and Im sad to say that this is by far the worst I have seen any Jazz team play. Sloan I have admired you for years and feel you deserved coach of the year a few time but cmon your play style is not gonna take this Jazz team anywhere. The NBA has changed and so has the game, its sad to say the game has advanced while your stuck in the 80s and 90s coaching style that couldnt get it done with 2 of the greatest. Its time for a changed and time to start seeing the true talent on your bench instead of paying the soft hearted big man such as Boozer who scared to take the ball to the basket at crunch time or Okur who couldnt cover my grandmother with a cane on the perimeter. We need some heart and guys who are gonna give it there all every night on the court.
    Sincerely a very disappointed Jazz Fan.....

• Elite teams
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:34 p.m.

1-Lakers
    2-Celtics
    3-Spurs
    4-Cavs
    5-Nuggets
    6-Magic

Those are the six best teams in the league, bar none. What do they all have in common? Size, speed, good outside shooting, good big men, good defense. What do the Jazz lack? Speed, good defense, outside shooting, and they need a couple more big men that will play "big."

The Jazz need to add a couple shooters, get some more size and athleticism. I like Fes on the floor more than Memo, and the reason is because he bothers shots and finishes with dunks around the hoop. I am eating crow, because I used to dis on Fes, but I like what I see. Build around Deron,Millsap,Korver,Miles,Fesenko. That gives you some shooters, a slasher in Deron, and a decent big man in Fesenko. Now lets add some like Marcus Camby and Tyrus Thomas for defense and then a Rudy Fernandez or Travis Outlaw, or John Salmos that can slash and shoot the ball. The Jazz have some nice pieces. Let's make some changes on the court and then bring Avery Johnson to coach! That's my take folks.

• Batman
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:38 p.m.

Even if we oferred to trade the whole Jazz team for dirty dirk I don't think Cuban would take it, and that says a bit about how Williams is playing lately. The whole team needs to pick up its play. I don't think there is much hope that AK will ever learn to shoot, however. Pathetic.

• The Real Miles Re Todd
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:39 p.m.

Come-on Todd you`ve got to pull it together,when Houdini posts,he uses his name...Houdini,which refers to "miles " pulling his disappearing act,game after game. You seem confused,you really need to get it together

• Boozer
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:41 p.m.

I would keep starting Boozer, but I would want Millsap in the game for the bulk of the time. What would be ideal is to ship Boozer as soon as possible.

• Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:51 p.m.

@Houdini: Playing Fes for 25 minutes a game? Clueless Did your Mamma write that one for you? We have none of the pieces to turn this around. Boozer doesn't want to be here. Millsap got his fat contract and now doesn't have to work hard. Dwill is in it only for him. Memo is Memo and Brewer can't shoot. Yea we have all the pieces for a losing season.

• STOP GOING!
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:54 p.m.

The only thing that is going to get anyone in the Jazz management team to sit up and do something is if ticket sales drastically decline!!! Let's make it happen. In this economy, I have a lot more pressing places to spend my hard earned money then on players who are making millions of dollars and not even trying. WOW!! Hey Boozer, you still struggling financially?????

• comma man
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:54 p.m.

korver scored 30 last night,korver is the best,i love korver, trade williams,korver to point,

• Todd to Houdini
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:57 p.m.

Relax man,we have the parts in place to turn this around,and we WILL, Sloan messed up,but so did the team,including Korver,I really believe Matthews needs to get 25 minutes or so,especially against teams with Dampier type centers,less time against the Duncan`s and Amare`s,think about it. love you

• Houdini
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:01 p.m.

korver played his butt off last night,he was unbelievable,relax HE will score 50 on sunday,i love his game,todd you do not know what you are saying most of the time,stop your jibber,jabber,

• FREE D-WILL
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:08 p.m.

When FISHER retires, send/give D-WILL to the LAKERS.

EASE HIS PAIN.

• Worn Out by the 4th!
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:11 p.m.

The Jazz have put an emphasis on Defense this year. But, playing on both ends of the floor has made these guys good for three quarters and then OUT OF GAS in the 4th. They have nothing left, in the 4th because they aren't used to playing both ends of the floor, for a whole game!

• Loveld
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:13 p.m.

Maybe we should start cheering for ourselves to lose----Rather than the Knicks, since we both have the same record now----Wouldn't it be great to have TWO top 10 picks?----Seriously, I hate that I'm a Jazz fan. I have never been more dissappointed in my life with the quality of their play. And the quality of charachter of the individuals that play for the Jazz. They don't care on defense. Defense is about effort and no one on the team gives the effort consistently. Sloan should be ashamed that he's even considering signing an extension. They (the players) have tuned him out. We need new blood from the top down. Maybe Stockton would come back and coach. Somebody new needs to light a fire under these overpaid sissies.

• D Will ain't no leader
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:20 p.m.

To all you die hard Jazz fans, myself included, snap out of it and realize that D Will is no leader. All he does is blame everyone else whenever he makes a mistake, bad pass etc. It is easy to nit pick the Jazz now because everyone stinks. Any point guard in the league can get his points including D Will. But what success has he lead the team too? The Western Conference Finals? Not. That was Derek Fisher's team. We need a true leader on this team because currently, we don't have one.

• What?
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:20 p.m.

Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, too, was thinking afterward about what might have been done differently.

"There wasn't anything, obviously, we were able to do with Nowitzki," he said

Jerry,
    HOW ABOUT SCORING!!!!!
    HOW ABOUT LESS TURN OVERS!
    HOW ABOUT MAKING THE CHANGE FROM OKUR TO KIRILENKO TO BE OVER NOWIZKI. OKUR WAS RIDICULOUS SLOW!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:21 p.m.

its only game 4, but you reap what you sow. the jazz obviously different "learn" how to step up their defense to be competitive for a full 48 minutes. The Jazz are sorry defensively. Sloan needs to evolve his 20 year rotation system and make decisions on the margin.

• THIS IS ON OKUR
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:23 p.m.

MY GRANDMOTHER WHO IS ALWAYS 100 YEARS OLD COULD GUARD DIRK NOWITZKI BETTER THAN OKUR. THE KID WAS RUNNING LIKE A LITTLE BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:29 p.m.

The best part of watching Jazz games these days is to see what AK's hair is gonna look like

• Jazz Guru
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:33 p.m.

The Jazz need a bigger front court, Millsap and Booz are undersized and Memo is a 2 guard in a 7 footer's body. Fes is looking ok, we will see how he plays. Koufos in my opinion was a mistake, but we will see how he plays. The Jazz need shooters. Brewer and AK cannot shoot consistantly outside of the paint and Boozer is not hitting much of anything. This means Williams and Okur from that first group are the only consistant shooters. That is why the Jazz struggle. Korver and Miles will help a little bit with the outside shooting, but the Jazz need someone that can shoot well. How about trading our first round pick and a player to be named to Sac. for Kevin Martin. How about trying to bring in a Marcus Camby, a Tyrus Thomas, get some shot blocking and athleticism. I look at this team and see a superstar in Deron Williams, and some other nice pieces but the Jazz need speed, athleticism, height, toughness, ouside shooting,defense. They are not getting much of any of that.

• double lotto picks!
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:39 p.m.

This team is killing me. how can you be so bad in the 4th quarter. I say we call it good for the year and get 2 lotto picks. between us and the knicks we've got a shot at the number one pick!

• kb
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:42 p.m.

who cares! The JAZZ organization did not care about it's fans when they gave all the tv rights to FSN leaving many of us unable to see any of the games this year.

• Houdini
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:46 p.m.

Watching the game yesterday,Sloan looked almost scared,something is wrong,can`t put my finger on it,we quit last night.Todd,you seem obsessed with A very,but what did he do as Mavs coach other than get embarrassed by Nellie,he`d probably make a good assistant,that`s about it,if he was all that don`t you think someone would`ve snatched him up,kinda like Barry...the coach I like is Doc Rivers....Oh and don`t let miles mess with you,he``s always posts using other alias`s

• Cowboy Joe to Todd
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:54 p.m.

When someone posts and says they are Todd we can tell you are an impostor. The real Todd is hard to follow with many grammar errors.

Miller is going to move the team to Boise. I say trade the Jazz to Boise for the Boise State Football team. Then we could have a winner.

Greg told me taco bell will give free Chalupas in Boise if the Jazz can hold an opponent under 110.

Dwill is no leader. Fire KOC for keeping Slown and Picking DWILL ahead of CP3.

• Houdini and Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 2:03 p.m.

Houdini`s posts are passionate about the jazz,miles posts are passion about cj,pretty easy to tell them apart

• nothing to lose
    Nov. 4, 2009 2:55 p.m.

for-real changes = smarter mgmt & mktg than turnstyle handshakes & #5 jersey wardrobe malfunctions! fans see thru the cosmetics. it's time for laser surgery.

fans & season already ugly. rescue us with sloan's hof gran finale year. transition for real to a fresh minded coach, with gametime finesse & freedom to bench the booze.

at this point, there's not much more to lose. is there? jerry can't coach forever. unless miller brings in ghosts of jerrys past (corbin, phil, layton).

• Almost done
    Nov. 4, 2009 3:01 p.m.

I've been a Jazz fan for 28 years now. I've stuck with them through the good (2 finals appearances) and the bad (pretty much anything that had to do with Greg Ostertag), and all I can say is that I'm just about ready to hang up my Jazz fandom. Don't get me wrong, I won't go rooting for another team. But there is no way I'm going to waste my time with a team that strives to be mediocre.

Kevin O'Connor is the most clueless GM in the league. And Jerry, love ya dawg, but the game passed you by about ten years ago. I know the blue-collar game the Jazz used to play was good, but even if the players were willing to play that style now I don't think it would be enough. Jerry doesn't want to play up-tempo ball, and will start a bad veteran over a good rookie any day of the week.

So for now I guess I'll just have to get by watching my favorite college team. Too bad, this used to be a proud franchise, I'll miss that.

• todd to houdini
    Nov. 4, 2009 3:45 p.m.

games being played, I did not post that last item children grow up

• Sokol
    Nov. 4, 2009 3:57 p.m.

Why watch this sorry contingent of losers, BAD COACHING and poor management (KOC)? I think the team has no leaders, period...There is no heart in this bunch of Utah Charmin....Milsap is pathetic...

KOC, Williams, Boozer, Sloan are showing us that Stockton and Malone were really the ones that made the Utah Jazz success happen? The coaching is miserable and the management of the Jazz really is inept, deficient and untalented.

• Miles
    Nov. 4, 2009 4:11 p.m.

Todd: Are you so naive to not know that Houdini is the one posting under "Todd" and "Miles" and then answering his own posts?

• NYJazzFan
    Nov. 4, 2009 4:18 p.m.

Why didnt Sloan have AK guard Dirk? and why didnt he have AK guard Gasol last year in playoffs? I love Sloan and what he has done for the franchise but it may be time for him to move on.. Ill reserve judgment until the season is over..

• houdini
    Nov. 4, 2009 4:31 p.m.

is a troll

• Fire Kevin O'Conner
    Nov. 4, 2009 4:48 p.m.

This man has a history of bad decision making. He only made 3 good or great moves in the draft and he never thought of defence when making a frontcourt. He did not trade Boozer over the summer and is plain arrogant! As a Jazz fan I cannot watch another game with this disaster!

• Tiberias
    Nov. 4, 2009 6:40 p.m.

The Jazz should be ashamed of themselves - 44 points in the 4th quarter. Players and COACHES stunk in the 4th quarter. Call a time out and put Fez in the middle and double team Dirk. It's time to step up Sloan!

• eb
    Nov. 4, 2009 6:52 p.m.

So the love affair with N-D-Will is over, huh? He is still a decent guy and a good all-around ball player. He is just not anywhere close to Stockton.

• Fire Jerry
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:52 p.m.

Fire O' Conner, and Dump Boozer. That's the only solution. Do we really want Jerry and O'Conner making our draft selections next summer? Can you actually stand to watch any more of this garbage?

• pathetic fans
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:13 p.m.

you jazz fans are the most pathetic fans in the world, once something goes bad all of you are bad mouthing the jazz. but when they go on a winning streak you are all praisin them and jumping on there band wagon. its no wonder why free agents don't want to come here to utah. all you so called fans always say how your not going to support them, and yet i bet everyone of you either goes to the games or turn on your t.v to watch them.

• I HATE SLOAN TOO
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:03 p.m.

PLEASE, the jazz is all I have sense 1982...really. And I just cant belieive Mr Miller Jr is puting up with all this. Is the car biz he was a KILLER tough manager and got the job done. Greg get involved and can oconner put Scott Laydon in that spot and Make Phil Johnson Head coach and Ty Corbin Asst coach next in line. Bottom LINE....Sell cars or get fired ....Win games or get fired REMEMBER GREG?????

• todd from santa ana
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:25 p.m.

Miles. If he is doing that it is beyond childish, but who cares.

To answer earlier: No I am not obsessed with Avery. That is why yesterday, I suggested John Lucas, or whoever we can get in here and teach, get the message across and change this chemistry. There are good people out there. Have this talentd squad utilized to it's best ability.

The jazz are entertainment "pathetic fans 813 post"

many here do not or cannot go to the games. Turning on the TV unless you are part of the ratings groups like Nielsen, Greg would not know if I turned on the game or not.

Having said that, in 32 years of following the Jazz, I have never seen players lack such mental toughness, negative attitude, panic under pressure. It is a virus going throughout the whole squad. It is like get into a rut and hope DWIL and OKUR can bail us out with miracle shots or close to it...In 55 60 loss seasons, the Jazz played harder and usually lost a game eventually to attrition and being worn out by better squads but rarely outworked and strategies were not nearly as bad as now...

• todd on Phil
    Nov. 5, 2009 1:47 a.m.

Phil Johnson? Ty Corbin?

The Answer?

Sure..

I want to put this out. Having spoken several years ago to Phil over the phone, he is one of the nicest, most knowledgable basketball men there is.

He is a great guy. Very faithful to Jerry.

When Johnson coached in Kansas City and Sacramento his teams played together, had good cohesion and communication with each other.

However, one problem. This was largely 25 to 35 years ago. Phil was very young at the time.

I would always want Phil once eventually retiring as Assistant or being replaced by a potential new regime, to remain here as consultant, scout or whatever he wants.

However, not as Head Coach. Has been part of this regime too long and doubt he would be any different.

• the Mailman
    Nov. 5, 2009 4:53 a.m.

Seriously how many times can you keep making the same mistakes

It's true its not just the coaches fault, the players have to take responsibility too but if Jerry has nothing to do with their woes then what is he there for?

No timeouts? How many times has he sat there mute while a team makes a run?

No double on Dirk? How many times has someone lit up and Jerry just sticks with the same game plan.
    Memo on Dirk? Are you kidding me!! What is AK there for?

And the excuses! He's just a great player. We couldn't stop him. We felt sorry for ourselves.

What would the players think when the hear this defeatest attitude from their coach time and time again? Of course there going to give up a little easier.

Just think about it, if your boss made serious errors over and over again are you going to believe in the message he preaches? Of course not. Truth is he lost the players long ago, and these results are just further confirmation of that.

It will just get worse while Sloan is still at the helm. 22 YEARS IS ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 5, 2009 8:06 a.m.

Recall that last season many players had CAREER HIGHS against the JAZZ.
    The trend will continue this year.
    You're welcome Dirk.

• JAZZ MAN
    Nov. 5, 2009 9:28 a.m.

They need to get it into gear

• Sokol
    Nov. 5, 2009 11:32 a.m.

Sloan is pitiful....When has he outcoached anyone?

• gdog3
    Nov. 5, 2009 3:44 p.m.

Here is Jerry in a 3 point nutshell. Give up a three by doubling up on in the post. But don't do it by doubling the perimeter. He is obsessed with the paint. I get it do a degree. But the paint is not the be all and end all Jerry. Not evolving with the times has won you many regular season home games over the last 20 years, but giving teams open threes on their homecourt kills you on the road. In the playoffs were you play the same team 4 to 7 times, allows that team to actually coach your Lambardi sweep. Regular season games don't usually involve pre game prep as teams travel city to city, day by day. Anyway, there is more to ball than just feeding the post and defending it. Shooting threes is okay, and so is taking them away. So why did Jerry actually attempt to take them away in the fourth quarter against the Mavericks? Because it meant sending the defense out on the perimeter away from the sacred post. What a contradiction from within Sloan's inflexible core.