Family

Who knew this guy loved opera?

Comments

• Class act
    Oct. 24, 2009 7:09 p.m.

Larry Miller was class, pure class. Let's hope that Greg Miller is his father's son.

• Erin
    Oct. 24, 2009 8:22 p.m.

Larry and Gail are a tremendous asset to the community. They are wonderful people. We miss Larry and we love Gail.

• Another fan
    Oct. 25, 2009 7:21 a.m.

I attended Larry's funeral. It was an honor. As a community, we don't often have our lives touched by heroes. Larry was a hero for our State and his diversified generosity will allow his spirit to live on in the lives of millions. Thanks Larry, and Gail, and Michael, and all who strive to make the world a better place and put their money (and talent) where their mouth is.

• Good Job
    Oct. 25, 2009 8:15 a.m.

I really think it is neat how they did the Corn Maze in Plesant Grove, this year, I have heard a lot of people that have gone to it this year, and they say it is one of the best ones that they have been to, He will be truley missed , It will be sad to see their seats be not filled at all the games,The Legacy Lives On,

• Anonymous
    Oct. 25, 2009 8:16 a.m.

Oh how we miss Larry!

• Fan
    Oct. 25, 2009 9:39 a.m.

Just when I thought I couldn't like this guy any more. What an example! He is surely missed!

• Anonymous
    Oct. 25, 2009 9:44 a.m.

If you've ever been in the UFO offices, you'd know LHM is a beloved supporter. There's a mural in the office with donors head's painted on cherub bodies, ordered from top to bottom according to level of donation. Yes, you read right. You can go to Logan and see a cherub with the head of LHM sitting on a cloud.

• Dave in AZ
    Oct. 25, 2009 4:04 p.m.

Larry and Gail are down to earth people who just loved to helped the community where they could. This just shows the spread of their reaching out to others. We should do the same and not worship money, material things, etc, because that's not where true happiness is. It's in giving that you show love, and Larry looked to help the worthy causes that would strenghten the family. Way to go, Lar, he was always such a trooper to help all the way through his life. He is missed but not forgotten. May we continue to do better always.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 25, 2009 7:33 p.m.

I had Dr. Ballam last year at USU. We heard about LHM every single day, it was kind of annoying. LHM was a great man, but Ballam kind of took his relationship with 'famous' people overboard. Little to no respect for that man.

• Diligent Dave
    Oct. 25, 2009 11:20 p.m.

Larry was my first cousin. There is a lot about Larry that most people don't know, where I would say, "You don't (really) know (all) about this guy." I don't think Michael Ballam knows a lot of things about Larry. Here and now I won't elaborate.

I am guessing that perhaps there are some "tender eye" genes. My mother, Larry's mom's older sister, was one who was often "tendered-eyed" (and tender-hearted). Larry was "tender-eyed" because he was tender-hearted. He felt fervently about things he deemed not just important–but also sacred. I think this may have come from our grandmother, an immigrant from Tasmania (Australia). She died before I turned two. But Larry was almost 10 years my senior, so he may have known her some. But the tendency seems to be among a very small handful of family members.

Larry spoke somewhat often about the close relationship he had with our grandfather. I wasn't aware of their close relationship until I read about it in things he said in public. My grandfather lived in Salt Lake, where Larry grew up. We lived in the South (cont'd)

• Anonymous
    Oct. 26, 2009 6:21 a.m.

"After Larry died, I realized it would be very easy to be a hermit – to be a rich widow, to do whatever I wanted. But you can't do that. You have to walk in the footsteps that have been laid out."

I've thought before this that Gail was a a complete class act---and that statement solidified it.

Take note, other rich people. The cure for what ails your heart is removing the suffering of others with your blessings. You will end up with less money and a healed soul.

I've lived it--its true.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 26, 2009 8:28 a.m.

Larry and Gail - we love you and are so grateful for your example

• Anonymous
    Feb. 8, 2010 10:17 a.m.

Just give Michael Ballam a whole lot of money, and he'll be happy to remember your birthday too.