Utah

White substance spurs scare at storage vault

Comments

• Timothy
    Oct. 7, 2009 2:57 p.m.

The employees that discovered this substance perhaps just returned from a trip to Peru,high in the Andes..

• was it...
    Oct. 7, 2009 3:39 p.m.

snow? It was in the mountains.

• Fran Farny
    Oct. 7, 2009 3:49 p.m.

Was Rush Limbaugh sighted nearby?

• CALL
    Oct. 7, 2009 4:15 p.m.

GLENN BECK.

He can solve any CONSPIRACY.

• Fox News
    Oct. 7, 2009 4:38 p.m.

needs to be in on this..It is obviously a pinko commie plot to turn Utah into a haven of socialistic Darwinism...Where is Dick Cheney when you need him;He would of had made G.W. take care of this right away..I would call the President but I think he is still bummed out about the Olympics..Maybe Mitt has a spare moment!!!

• Cats
    Oct. 7, 2009 4:45 p.m.

What idiotic blogs. The story doesn't say how the substance was found, but it must have been found under a circumstance that warranted concern. Why don't you people (Who know nothing about the situation) just wait until the whole story comes out.

• Well
    Oct. 7, 2009 4:59 p.m.

after some of the comments I have read from Cats on occasion,I must say she is calling the kettle black; as some of her observations and conclusions have been a little premature also...

• To Cats
    Oct. 7, 2009 5:06 p.m.

Because "we people" have the same right to pontificate as you do...

• Dear Cats
    Oct. 7, 2009 5:30 p.m.

This is NOT a blog.
    It is a public comment forum.

• Sent Cannon an Email
    Oct. 7, 2009 6:00 p.m.

Just sent Cannon an email along with my DNEWS subscription cancellation;;;I shared two of my posts that you refused to post vrs those that you allowed and told him your paper is too liberal for me to read......feel the heat?? Its coming !

• Anonymous
    Oct. 7, 2009 6:27 p.m.

sounds like a little early fall snow.

• I feel it also
    Oct. 7, 2009 6:49 p.m.

Boy I am so heated up that I am almost trembling in anticipation for the next assault on the DR by posters who have had their feelings hurt..As for this paper having a liberal bias,that is a astonishing conjecture to anyone that reads this paper on a regular basis...I myself consider myself lucky if fifty percent of my comments escape the censors attention and condemnation...By the way I thought some of the comments were very funny and a delight to read,as this article certainly opens itself up to fair spirited parody..

• That
    Oct. 7, 2009 7:05 p.m.

darn Bigfoot, sniffing again while lurking and roaming around, and leaving the left-overs behind........LOL!!

• JB
    Oct. 7, 2009 7:46 p.m.

There are many enemies of the church. I think this is just sad.

• Wowwww man,
    Oct. 7, 2009 8:02 p.m.

This is really far-out, strange and way heavy, dudes. You dudes and dudettes up there better cool it before all the feds bust ya buns.... LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    Oct. 7, 2009 8:09 p.m.

I think this is a dumb article.

• I have no clue
    Oct. 7, 2009 8:23 p.m.

how or why powdered fiberglass got into a shipment of anything being delivered anywhere. BUT my husband worked with industrial fiberglass for a number of years, and believe you me, powdered fiberglass can really irritate the skin--to the point that some of the workers broke out in sores that were very hard to heal. So I wouldn't call the stuff harmless, although there may be a logical reason for its presence.
    That's what I'd like to know more about.

• uncannygunman
    Oct. 7, 2009 9:38 p.m.

So how do you tell a suspicious powder form a nonsuspicious powder?

• zig
    Oct. 7, 2009 9:40 p.m.

Cats is always right on. I'm with you Cats. This is a relevant story and there are people out there with intent to do harm.

• Spence
    Oct. 7, 2009 11:38 p.m.

This sounds like a good demonstration about what to do with a suspicious substance. The material found might have been from a broken desiccant packet, depending on where the material was shipped from. Some kind of humidity control material. When the bags break they can have a odd collection of materials.

• Personal Day
    Oct. 8, 2009 6:28 a.m.

This is simply a case of church employees needing some time away from work. Pretty creative. Ten bucks the powder comes from a Krispy Kreme.

• Powdery Substance
    Oct. 8, 2009 7:38 a.m.

I would have responded sooner but I couldn't stop laughing over the idea of someone dropping the DN because it is too liberal. If you are that sensitive to liberal bias, I am finding it hard to imagine what you would find acceptable to read. Even the ingredients on a cake mix box could have potential for offense. But to the topic, there have been some funny comments but the "personal day" comment is offensive. The Church should be commended for having a plan in place and employees who knew about it and followed. The emergency services who responded should also be commended. This represented a serious potential threat and tragedy could have resulted if it had been handled casually.

• Cats
    Oct. 8, 2009 8:32 a.m.

this is really embarassing for the Church.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 8, 2009 9:09 a.m.

Is the Church going to pay costs and damages to the city and county efforts for this over reaction.

• John Pack Lambert
    Oct. 8, 2009 5:29 p.m.

To the 9:09 commentator,
    The people involved said that the response by the employees was the correct one. So your claim that people "over reacted" is clearly not the view of anyone who was actually involved and actually knows something about dangerous substances.

• SFC RET DENNIS
    Oct. 8, 2009 5:39 p.m.

Anonymous | 9:09 a.m. Oct. 8, 2009 I wonder how you and other nay Sayers would say if this had happened at a government facility or some other church. I don't care where one is you find a white powder substance when opening a letter, box or whatever report it this is nothing to laugh or joke about it could have been deadly. After 21 years in military service you can a real respect about how deadly bio warfare can be and you learn how to protect yourself and the archive members done just what they should have, good work to them.