BYU football: Broken pinkie finger won't sideline Unga

Comments

• David
    Sept. 29, 2009 6:33 p.m.

Which hand?

• UteFan
    Sept. 29, 2009 7:04 p.m.

could it get any worse for the poor cougs? Now I have to change the spread to 28. USU wins by 28 with a one handed harvey. happy valley is crying its eyes out about now. give me one good reasdon the cougs beat the aggies this week, just one? didn't think so.

• NevadaCoug
    Sept. 29, 2009 7:16 p.m.

"Unga is the second-leading rusher in the Mountain West, even though he missed the season-opening Oklahoma game due to a nagging hamstring muscle pull he suffered during August camp before the season."

Not to mention the fact that he played rather sparingly in the second game against Tulane, as well. Unga would be a huge loss for the Cougars. Hope he is able to continue to play without a drop-off with that pinky break. You know opposing players will be gunning for the hands. Hope he can avoid the fumbles.

• NevadaCoug
    Sept. 29, 2009 7:23 p.m.

I had this nagging doubt about the claim that Unga is the second leading rusher in the Mountain West. So I looked it up. According the stats at Yahoo Sports, Unga is not the 2nd leading rusher in yards. He is in fact number 6 with 227 yards. He is, however, second behind Asiata in rushing yards per game (75.7 to Asiata's 82.5).

Or was the DNews saying that he's second in yards for in-conference games? I don't really know; but it would be nice if writers would be clear which stats they are using.

• Really?
    Sept. 29, 2009 7:30 p.m.

You honestly think it matters which hand? Now I'm curious - why would you even care to know that?

• R:E: Really?
    Sept. 29, 2009 8:00 p.m.

well take in to consideration what hand he's carrying the ball with...maybe he cant hold it as well then if with the other. I think thats a big point....dont critisize other people who are asking legitimate questions....your statement was by far a lot dumber

• he's the man
    Sept. 29, 2009 8:30 p.m.

He played almost the whole game with it broken last week and had plenty of yards. Plus, we have a whole team, not just one player. BYU 96, USU 3. Wait... we won't want to run up the score quite that much because it would be unsportsmanlike. BYU 49, USU 3.

• Misleading headline?
    Sept. 29, 2009 8:53 p.m.

So he actually has a broken finger. Are they trying to make it sound worse than it really is? And if so, why DesNews? Seriously...

• I've been there
    Sept. 29, 2009 11:27 p.m.

I've had two broken fingers in the past (not at the same time, one pinkie and one ring finger) and I played basketball with one and football, as a reciever, with one (granted not at the NCAA level). Just tape it together, not a big deal.

• read the article people
    Sept. 29, 2009 11:37 p.m.

they said it was a right hand, and he broke it after the game... honestly

• No Big Deal
    Sept. 30, 2009 12:09 a.m.

A hamstring injury is a concern; a broken pinky is a minor inconvenience.

Unga will be fine, much to the chagrin of a few BYU-haters who are desperate for any kind of news that might help the Aggies.

• Re: read the article people
    Sept. 30, 2009 1:32 a.m.

It actually says he broke it the fist play of the game while blocking for tonga, not after the game. Honestly… read the article.

• Honestly
    Sept. 30, 2009 7:26 a.m.

Honestly people... honestly

• Anonymous
    Sept. 30, 2009 8:29 a.m.

I hope this young man in his early 20s heals well and is able to reach his full potential in football as well as in life. I hope that he doesn't have more pain than he can bear. I have found that pain whether physical or emotional helps us to grow - both physically and emotionally.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Sept. 30, 2009 8:33 a.m.

He has more talent in pinkie than any other running back in this state.

• won't matter
    Sept. 30, 2009 9:17 a.m.

Unga could score touchdowns all day long against the gaggies even with a broken leg.

• Re Earnest
    Sept. 30, 2009 9:47 a.m.

Ha ha ha ha good one!!!

• Alaskan Ute Fan
    Sept. 30, 2009 10:05 a.m.

As a Ute fan, I must admit I admire Unga. He is a beast. I really wanted to see the showdown between Unga and Asiata this year...too bad Asiata's out. They both have heart and are very talented. Anyone who has played football, and knows what it is like to try and tackle someone like Unga who is both big and fast, knows what I am talking about.

• Die Hard Ute Fan
    Sept. 30, 2009 1:02 p.m.

I agree. Unga is who is going to beat our team like a rented mule this year. The Cougars are down-right dominant this year and will expose us like the school girls that we are.

I shutter to think of our frail feminine line backers trying to deal with Unga. Unga will probably pause and slap across the face them more out of annoyance than anything.

• Super Duper Die Hard Ute Fan
    Sept. 30, 2009 1:46 p.m.

I'm more die hard than you. just look at my name. If unga didn't break it this week, he would have broken it against the Mighty Utes. I think he'll sit against the aggies and byu will lose by 28.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 30, 2009 2:08 p.m.

Jack Youngblood played in the NFC Championship Game and Super Bowl XIV, with a stress fracture in left leg. He played with a broken leg. When asked how he felt after the game, he said he felt like he played a football game on a broken leg.

"I remember one time when a guy stepped on Merlin's hand with those nylon cleats," says Youngblood. "Ripped it wide open." He came back to the huddle holding it. I looked over, and I could see all the bones. I almost fainted. Merlin said, 'Aw it's all right.' "He held it together and stopped the bleeding a little bit. That was first down. He stayed out there two more plays before we went to the sidelines."

It's a Pinky FINGER...

Play ball.

• Scott_Farkus
    Sept. 30, 2009 2:10 p.m.

Re: Ute Fan

You are right. I can't give you just one reason BYU will beat USU. I can give you many reasons:
    1-QB Advantage. Max Hall is a better QB and more experienced than whomever takes the field for USU. BYU's 2nd string quarterback Riley would have been USU's starter this year.
    2-RB Advantage. Unga, Tonga and company are bigger, stronger and more experienced than USU's backfield.
    3-OL Advantage. Bigger by far than USU's defensive line. Sure USU can try speed to get around them but Tonga will just knock any down who get through.
    4-TE's and Receivers - no contest here. Current All American at TE and likely future All American (Jacobson) at WR. O'Neil is probably better than anything USU has as well.
    Should I go on? I didn't think so.

• Give the Ags some credit
    Sept. 30, 2009 2:53 p.m.

After all, they have more conference championships in the last 30 years than the Utes!!!! HAHA

• USU by 28!
    Sept. 30, 2009 2:56 p.m.

Honestly people! Does anyone really believe Utah State even has a shot at winning this game? Come on People....

BYU 38
    USU 17

The score would be higher but our 4th string players will be playing in the 4th quarter.

• re: Scott
    Sept. 30, 2009 3:11 p.m.

Add that USU hasn't beaten BYU in Provo since the 70's and over the last 9 games or so, BYU has beaten USU by about 18 points on average.

It's a tough way to start conference weekend for Aggie fans.

Also add that SUU scored 30 plus points on USU. Name me one upper division team that has allowed that many points vs a lower division team in recent history, except App State at Michigan.

• WaAggie
    Sept. 30, 2009 3:41 p.m.

1-Scott, you don't know what you are talking about. Riley is not even an option for our system. Borel is quicker and more mobile that fits our systme better now. Maybe the Lord told him that while on his mission!!!

2-Our backs are quicker and will make your backs look like they are stuck in cement If we can get around your big D-Line. Our O-Line will be over matched.

3-A given

4-At TE yea, but we have some quickness that may surprised you.

BYU Wins, but if you have TO's, we may wake you BYU fans up a litle.

• #1 die hard super delux UTE fan
    Sept. 30, 2009 4:03 p.m.

I'm afraid Unga will break us like a...twig. No, no, like a grape. No....like a pinky.

We are in for some pain in November. I wish our team was as good as BYU.

• Die hardy hardiest Utefan
    Sept. 30, 2009 4:11 p.m.

I'm worried about Unga. He's a beast and would have beaten Asiata head to head regardless. Asiata plays with heart but not like Unga. I heard that our guys revere him - even his name sounds tough. I watched the mention of him send a shudder through some of our new guys in the locker room when they first saw him on tape. There's a long season to go but I'd just as soon not have to play him in November.

• Bill
    Sept. 30, 2009 9:14 p.m.

I am also afraid of Unga. I think BYU will dominant the Utes this year, and probable next year as well when Unga is a senior. They are certainly to get my vote for best team in the MWC. A worried Ute Fan.

• Rock-Solid-Super-Diehard UteFan
    Oct. 1, 2009 6:37 a.m.

Not only does Unga make me wet my tighty-whities just thinking about him, but because of the likes of Hall, Pitta, Jacobson I am now wearing Depends. Less I forget Jorgensen, Clawson, Pendleton, and Rich - I may have to jump off the bandwagon again like I did in 2005.

• From WA
    Oct. 1, 2009 1:03 p.m.

As a BYU fan, these posters making lame childish remarks while posing as Ute fans need to grow up, bring something worthwhile to the discussion or go home. And honestly, no idea if they are BYU fans or Aggie fans making it look like BYU fans irritate Ute fans (sadly my guess is the former).

• Get It Fixed.
    Oct. 1, 2009 9:25 p.m.

Harvey you might as well fix your finger. This season is pretty much over now.

• Speed Rules