Utah Utes football: Win at Oregon helped Utah finish with top-10 ranking

Comments

• I'll be there!
    Sept. 16, 2009 12:04 a.m.

Flight leaves on Friday for Portland and then on to Eugene. I think it will be a hard-fought game. Go Utes!

• ME TOOOO
    Sept. 16, 2009 6:28 a.m.

me and some friends leave thursday, stayin the weekend, hopefully we can give them a good game!! GO UTES !!!!

• S2
    Sept. 16, 2009 7:41 a.m.

First 10-win season in history was in 1994? Wow, I did not know Utah was such a relative new upstart in the arena of successful programs.

What year was the 13-0 season for BYU? Oh, really, ten years prior? Interesting....

Good luck, Ewets. The MWC always likes to see BSC schools/conference matches end in favor of the MWC. But, to tell the honest, this being an away game, I had to pick Oregon in this one in our weekly (no prize attached) "pick 'em" contest.

• A red speck in the green
    Sept. 16, 2009 7:42 a.m.

I think the trip will be worth it.

• distantute
    Sept. 16, 2009 7:56 a.m.

yep my buds and i will be maing the trip too. leaving on fri morn. Hope to see lots of RED just like we did in Ann Arbor and New Orleans, and hopefully with the same result!

• Ugly Oregon Uni's
    Sept. 16, 2009 8:03 a.m.

It's embarrassing that Oregon has an unlimited budget for uniforms and still has some of the ugliest uniforms of any team.

It would be disappointing for Utah to lose to a team with such ugly uniforms.

Go Utes!

• Oregon Bound
    Sept. 16, 2009 8:37 a.m.

Plane leaves Friday morning! We'll be there in red! Go Utes!

• Striker
    Sept. 16, 2009 8:44 a.m.

Since we're writing about the past, remember the last time a MWC team played Oregon? BYU whooped them 38-8, the same year Oregon beat Oklahoma. A young team who has only played a bunch of nobody's will have a hard time getting that W, but the team has done surprising things lately.

• moose on the loose
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:15 a.m.

DRILLED. . the utes are going to get DRILLED by Oregon. 7-5 and the fire whit websites start on sunday morning. Good luck not hurting yourselves jumping off that bandwagon ute fans.

• S3
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:20 a.m.

Has BYU done anything since 1884?

• Cougarfan
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:34 a.m.

I think Utah probably loses this game, but it should be a close one. Oregon is not that good this year and Utah is probably the better team but Autzen is still a tough place to play. If Utah can overcome the many mistakes they made in the first couple of weeks and get some pressure on the Oregon QB, this will be a great game.

This is a key game since it provides the only direct comparison between the top three in the MWC and the WAC's top dog. I hope the margin of victory for the U is similar to the Boise State game, but even a victory will discount Boise's claim as a top ten team based on the Oregon victory.

• GO UTES!
    Sept. 16, 2009 10:03 a.m.

Great article.

That was a fun season back in 94. That and 93 were the back-to-back 34-31 years, beating the TDS. I remember before the 94 season wondering how after losing Jamal Anderson we'd do. We did pretty well.
    This year I wondered how we'd do after losing all the key personnel. Hopefully its another 10 win (or better) season and a win against the Ducks.

Also, the posts on here by the TDS fans remind me why as a kid I developed a real dislike for that team and its pompous fans.

Though I do sincerely wish the "Team Down South" tremendous success and health thoughout this season, that is until that last regular season game in November, making it all that much sweeter when the Utes can utterly destroy and embarrass them.

Good Luck in Eugene! I hope to hear the Utah Man over and over. GO UTES!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 16, 2009 10:07 a.m.

They won the national championship in 1984. Probably 50 conference championships - maybe only 40. I won't waste my time looking up the number of 10 win seasons. The Utes have 2 bcs games and pretty much nothing else. If the Utes can continue what they have done in the last 5 years for 30 more, they will understand the greatness of the cougars.
    Go Cougs.

• re: Striker
    Sept. 16, 2009 10:22 a.m.

Congratulations to that BYU team that whipped a 7-6 Oregon team in the 2006 Las Vegas Bowl. I'm sure that Oregon team was the best 7-6 team in the nation that year. The media really took notice, and it showed by all those #1 votes in parenthesis after BYU's place in the polls. If memory serves
    me, I believe that would have been ZERO

GO ZOOBS!

• PDX Coug
    Sept. 16, 2009 10:24 a.m.

To S3 - in 1884, BYU was BYA and didn't have a football team - I'd say they've done a few things since then. Besides, I thought this was an article about the Utah/Oregon game this weekend.

On that subject, I would love to see the Utes pound the Ducks this Saturday. Oregon is the poster child for programs where some sugar daddy donors (Phil Knight/Nike) think they can create a champion by simply recruiting superior talent from wherever they can get it, and opening the roof and pouring piles of money into the program. Utah, BYU, TCU and Boise State play the game the way it's supposed to be played: hit hard, execute on every down, fly to the ball, work as a team, and PREPARE in every facet for each game.

Go Utes! (And go Cougs against FSU this weekend.)

• Steve
    Sept. 16, 2009 10:43 a.m.

"Has BYU done anything since 1984?"
    Been nationally ranked 10 times, played in 18 bowls(albeit with a shabby record in those), and was # 5 in 1996. Not too bad.
    Utah has been ranked 4 times, in the top 5 twice and has a good bowl record during that time, although they have played in less bowls.

• Little lambs have two chances
    Sept. 16, 2009 11:11 a.m.

...of winning: slim and none. Oregon is going to bury the little lambs from the ewe of ewe!

Oregon 34, ewetah 14

• Utah Man
    Sept. 16, 2009 11:24 a.m.

The Utes will win in Oregon. They will be solid and execute well. Thanks for the great article about Utah Football. I'm sorry that soo many insecure Cougs have to comment on anything Utah and when they do its "Anonymous" Go enjoy your Cougars, they're having a great season so far. The UTES are going to destroy all your hopes and dreams in November. Book your Motel 6 in Vegas NOW!!! GO UTES!!!!

• to striker
    Sept. 16, 2009 11:33 a.m.

Oregon looked absolutely pathetic against BSU. No first downs for 3 quarters. If utah can't be them by 50, then who looks bad now.

• andrewute1
    Sept. 16, 2009 11:53 a.m.

Just for the record Kewg fans, Utah has more conference championships in their history than byu if you are going to bring up that subject.

• To the late risers
    Sept. 16, 2009 12:07 p.m.

Utah is notorious for playing their best football at the end of the season. Here's hoping they make giant strides from week 2 to week 3, because they're going to need it.

Of course, Boise State taking out Blount should help. That's the only reason I give the Utes a fighting chance in Autzen. But I doubt they will win from what I have seen with the Utes drop off (as expected would happen) from last year.

The Utes will be good this season, but not great until their bowl game. I must admit, it is always nice for the conference that the Utes can represent so well in (lesser) bowl games most years.

• re: 10:07Am
    Sept. 16, 2009 12:38 p.m.

The "greatness" of BYU exists only in the past. BYU has done nothing on a national stage since 1984, THAT'S 25 YEARS.

The "greatnes" that is BYU football has the same number of MWC titles as Utah (4), has a losing record against Utah since the inception of the MWC (4-6), raised its record versus ranked teams to 2-10 since 2004 with the win over Oklahoma, and is 2-5 in bowl games since the MWC started. Exactly where is that "greatness" you speak of?

The past is the past, especially when you are talking about BYU being relevant when Roland Regean was the President.

Utah has now been undefeated twice in the last 5 years, something BYU hasn't accomplished in my lifetime!

• JB
    Sept. 16, 2009 12:42 p.m.

I love BYU football but some of my fellow fans...?
    Good luck Utes, I will be yelling for you. I grew up a Duck but now it is all about the MWC.

• the yoo will lose
    Sept. 16, 2009 12:47 p.m.

This is just too funny that there are actually yoot fans who think their little team will beat Oregon. And they're basing this on what BSU did to them and their star running back being out.

Hey yoot fans this year your little team isn't even close to how good BSU is. And Oregon has a few more running backs that will be more than capable of getting the job done against the yoo.

I'm just waiting to see how many bandwagon yoot fans jump to BYU's side after they whip FSU and the yoo loses to Oregon this weekend. My guess is it will be around 20,000 with more to come as the season progresses.

Oregon 38, the yoo 10

• Disco
    Sept. 16, 2009 12:55 p.m.

Plane leaves fro Oakland in the morning...see you there Ute fans...wearing red.

Utah By 14...I feel it in my bones!

• re: to striker
    Sept. 16, 2009 1:25 p.m.

They looked pathetic against BSU because BSU has a great defense. Did utah hold either USU or SJSU to only 8 points like BSU did to Oregon? Let me help you with that one: No. If utah had a great defense this season they should have been able to hold both of those doormats to 7 or less. They didn't so they don't. The streak ends this weekend.

Oregon 35, utah 13

• re little lambs have two chances
    Sept. 16, 2009 1:29 p.m.

That was HILARIOUS dude!!!!! Been working on that joke for a while?

Utes will win.

GO UTES!!

• Re the yoo will lose
    Sept. 16, 2009 1:32 p.m.

Thats a cute nickname!!!!!! So funny!

You may get by FSU but can you say TCU???? HAHAHAHAHA its gonna be last year all over again for the pathetic Zoobs. Remember, Speed kills............. and you have none of it.

• Ben
    Sept. 16, 2009 1:45 p.m.

Good luck Ute fans! As a Beaver fan, I win if:
    Oregon wins because Pac-10 vs MWC;
    Utah wins because UO is our Rival, and seeing them lose is aways good.

Note that UO's running offense didn't really get started until the 2nd half against Purdue. Mostly because UO kept trying to get the passing game going with little success. They may decide to try to get the running game going first against the Utes, then complement it with the running. Either way, if they're held under 200 yards passing the Utes have a good chance to win.

Go Beavs!!!

• Re: 12:38
    Sept. 16, 2009 1:45 p.m.

So when was Roland Regean president? They must not teach American History at the U either.

• ?????
    Sept. 16, 2009 1:46 p.m.

I love my Utes, but they better get up for this one, if they mess around like they have been we will be in trouble.

Personally I was hoping Blount would have been there, he looked like garbage against BSU (Fat and slow).... but we have the talent to win!!

YBU fans...... Celebrate now!!! You are so quick to forget your tendancy to fade... I hope we're both undefeated when we meet, but I doubt it!!! GO UTES!!!!!!!!!

• BY Who
    Sept. 16, 2009 1:59 p.m.

Let the koogs talk Nat Champ and how they will run the table only after 2 games. I remember the last time they were this annoying. It was 2001 ranked 8th and they thought they had it in the bag. Guess what? Hawaii came along and dropped 72 points on the koogs. We will see ya at the Vegas bowl again.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 16, 2009 2:00 p.m.

when byu and utah play who has won more games? oh ya thats right

UTAH

go utes

• re: yoo will lose
    Sept. 16, 2009 2:05 p.m.

Funny how shallow cougar fans are.

• re: moose on the loose
    Sept. 16, 2009 2:20 p.m.

The season is shaping up nicely so far. BYU is getting all the early attention (most importantly from TCU) and Utah is quietly doing its job week-to-week. It's going to be even funnier to watch BYU flop this year as it was last year. The greatest part is, once Utah beats BYU, BYU's win over OK will give the U even more momentum moving into the post-season than they had last year from the pathetic TDS.

• hey utes
    Sept. 16, 2009 2:24 p.m.

enjoy your trips to Oregon, I hope it brings as much satisfaction to you and the MWC as my early season trip to Dallas did for me- Good luck (and yes, it pains me to say that).

Go MWC and BYU!

• re: re the yoo will lose
    Sept. 16, 2009 2:25 p.m.

Yes, BYU was really lucky to play Oklahoma who has nothing but slow non-athletic guys so that our slow non-athletic guys could keep up.

Oregon 28, utah 10

• CBS-C talkin junk
    Sept. 16, 2009 2:34 p.m.

Guys on CBS-C are saying that both Utah and BYU will lose their games this weekend. They said that Florida State is too fast for BYU and that Florida State played a similar opponent last week in Jackson Ville State (who Florida State won against last week 19 - 9)... similar in defense/offense. They also said that Oregon is going to be too strong and will win against Utah. I don't think you can compare a 19-9 win over a crap Jackson Ville State team with BYU. I think Oregon will be a challenge for the Utes if the Utes play similar to last week, otherwise I think the Utes will win.

• fades?
    Sept. 16, 2009 2:36 p.m.

Yeah, BYU didn't do so well in a few games last year but they sure didn't fade during the 2006 & 2007 seasons. Bad news for utah and TCU this season: BYU is back and better than '06 & '07.

Oregon 24, utah 6

• Big 10 Country
    Sept. 16, 2009 3:06 p.m.

I'm an alum of Utah and OSU (say what you will about OSU, but does your team have 6 national championships?). I still live in Big 10 country. Purdue is absolutely horrible. I feel good about the Utes beating a team that lost to Boise State and struggled against Purdue.

Utes by 14.

• Moose on the Loose....
    Sept. 16, 2009 3:17 p.m.

Is the lamest moniker of all time. Probably an Orem High grad.

• Excited to be there!
    Sept. 16, 2009 3:42 p.m.

Cant wait for kickoff! heading up w/ my dad!
    Go Utes!!!

• Oh mike...
    Sept. 16, 2009 4:09 p.m.

Blah, blah, blah... enough about the past. Not a very interesting article at all. Do some more research about this year's Utes.

• Too Much Time....
    Sept. 16, 2009 4:48 p.m.

It's obvious that the majority of you people have way too much time on your hands(both Utah and BYU fans). Do any of you work or go to school? Maybe someone pays you for sitting on your computer and writing meaningless things all day. Don't get me wrong, I love sports, but don't you think arguing about things that you have absolutely NO control over is a little over the top? Maybe it's just me. Have fun posting your little hearts away.

GO COUGS!!!

• Boise State Fan
    Sept. 16, 2009 5:25 p.m.

RE: The Yoo will Lose! 12:47 p.m
    This is just too funny that there are actually yewtie fans who think their little team will beat Oregon. And they're basing this on what BSU did to them and their star running back being out.

Hey yewt fans this year your little team isn't even close to how good BSU is. And Oregon has a few more running backs that will be more than capable of getting the job done against the yoo.

I'm just waiting to see how many bandwagon yewtie fans jump to BYU's side after they whip FSU and the EWEs loses to Oregon this weekend.

Oregon 38, the yewts 10

• Re: Too Much Time....
    Sept. 16, 2009 5:36 p.m.

Yet you have time to reply... Hypocrisy??

• Re:S3
    Sept. 16, 2009 5:43 p.m.

...Has BYU done anything since 1884?...

Yes, they have:
    --they had Crowton
    --they had Quest for Perfection
    --they had several losses, few wins in Las Vegas (soft noodle) Bowl

Have I left out anything?

CoolCalUtahFan

• Deja Vu
    Sept. 16, 2009 6:03 p.m.

The BYU and BSU fan posts that are intended to put Utah down crack me up... these jokers were saying the same things a year ago. Can you come up with anything orignal or should we expect you to write the same crap in September 2010?

• South Jordan Ute
    Sept. 16, 2009 6:20 p.m.

RE: 12:38

I can't find the humor in your American History comment. Ronald Reagan (was) President from 1981 to 1989. Will you help me out here with your superior intellect? Am I missing the joke? If not, please brush up on American Hstory yourself before you look like a fool to thousands of readers and further discredit your overated school, with respect to its academic and athletic programs.

• Yo
    Sept. 16, 2009 6:57 p.m.

Let's all join in a prayer huddle for Utah this weekend. What can it hurt?

• Almost you convince me
    Sept. 16, 2009 7:05 p.m.

Just when I think I might root for Utah and thus cheer on the MWC, I only have to read the lame logic and hatred spewing from these comments to once again convince me to cheer on anyone who is playing them.

• Big 10 Country
    Sept. 16, 2009 7:10 p.m.

So, even though I love OSU I am embarrased to tell people I went to Utah. OMG, we (Utes) are so scarry bad this year.

• Ute Fan
    Sept. 16, 2009 7:11 p.m.

I'm a big Utes fan but I am very worried. I think we are in over our heads this year.

• Utefan
    Sept. 16, 2009 8:29 p.m.

I love reading all these comments, it gets me ready for the game. We're going to the Oregon game this weekend because we love to watch football, If Utah wins I want to watch it!

GO UTAH!!!!

• Re:Almost you convince Me
    Sept. 16, 2009 8:31 p.m.

I feel the same way about BYU. Greatly dislike the fans. Nice grammar by the way. BYU Grad?

• It's gonna
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:24 p.m.

be a long ride home! Utes will bleed and bore!

• UteFan in Oregon
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:34 p.m.

I want Utah to win like you all, but I've seen this team and they are mad and looking to take it out on Utah. Bad time to play them. I'm not sure it will be pretty for us.

• Oregon Fan
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:40 p.m.

utes shouldn't even be on the schedule of a PAC10 powerhouse. Gimmie a break, barely beat 2 WACy teams.

• Duck Foder
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:42 p.m.

utes are going to be just what we need to turn things around. But too bad utah isn't a contender this year, otherwise beating them would put us back in the rankings.

• Sad Thing
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:45 p.m.

Too bad the utes aren't any better this year. It would have made for a great year for the MWC. I guess two great programs will have to do--BYU and TCU.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:46 p.m.

fades? | 2:36 p.m. Sept. 16, 2009

---------------

Love how they now define greatness at BYU by barly beating Utah. Reminds me of a time when I was a kid when Utah defined their season with a win over BYU.

Now at Utah it's defined as 2004 12-0 and in 2008 13-0.

• Who leads?
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:55 p.m.

Oregon is 17-8 in the series overall.

• re: Oregon fan
    Sept. 17, 2009 9:53 a.m.

How'd that game for Oregon go against a WAC team last year in Oregon, and this year in Boise?

That's what I thought.

Oregon - The team who is always a "spoiler" in the mediocre Pac-10 and annually falls flat on their face.

Yeah, Utah is scarred to face that kind of program!

I do agree with you though. Utah shouldn't be wasting their time facing Oregon. Utah is 6-2 in their last 8 meetings with mighty Pac-10 teams. Why are we wasting our time playing you? Utah should step up their scheduling and play a real conferenece, or USC.

• re: Sad Thing
    Sept. 17, 2009 9:54 a.m.

Utah fans know that feeling. That's how we felt last year when BYU fell flat on their face and was destroyed by TCU and Utah. It made our dismantling of the Cougars not look as impressive.

• re: Duck Foder
    Sept. 17, 2009 9:57 a.m.

Funny, you would have thought that being completely embarrassed at Boise, showing no offensive ability whatsoever, then imploding after the game and slugging a Boise player, would have been just what Oregon needed to get going?

Watching that game last week with Purdue, I think Oregon got going as much as they are going to. If it wasn't for 2 defensive scores on bad Purdue plays you would be 0-2 right now.

Back in the rankings???? Hahahahahahah. Yeah, that team who got worked by Boise sure seems like a ranked team don't they! Pac-10 is overrated year in and year out, as evidence by the MWC 6-1 record against them last year. USC is in a league of their own, much like Boise is in the WAC!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 18, 2009 7:25 a.m.

Who cares about pre season rankings

• Every Avid Fan
    Sept. 18, 2009 9:05 a.m.

"Who cares about pre season rankings ...?"

Don't kid yourself.

EVERY avid fan of college football cares about pre-season rankings, not only from an interest standpoint, but because the pre-season rankings establish THE pecking order for the rest of the season.

If a team started out the season ranked #1 and went undefeated, it would be almost impossible for unranked team to pass the pre-season #1 in the polls to get into the national championship game.

That may not be fair, but it is REALITY!

• Zombie Kid