Utah Jazz notebook: Ostertag reportedly attempting comeback

Comments

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 10:37 p.m.

knowing the way good ol kevin o'conner does things, he'll probably sign ostertag to a multi year deal. wouldn't surprise me a bit.

• scotland todd
    Sept. 14, 2009 12:03 a.m.

of all the people to make a come back. Ostertag?

• 00 for 1 minute
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:37 a.m.

He might bring in a block or 2.....in 82 games.

• todd from santa ana
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:43 a.m.

to anonymous "hee hee" That and possibly James Donaldson, Felton Spencer has reported his kneee has not felt better in years as he had been training with Real Salt Lake

• the big O
    Sept. 14, 2009 7:32 a.m.

has probably run out of $$$$

• To Tag Haters
    Sept. 14, 2009 8:10 a.m.

Why does he have a bad rap? He mad a lot of money at Utah, so have a lot of other players that have not had great output. Answer me this, why does Utah not have a championship? The answer is Karl Malone! His stats almost ALWAYS went down in the playoffs while all the other big name players for other teams had their stats go up! Ostertag could have a career night and that would not make a difference in the Jazz winning or losing, we ran the ball through Malone! Stop making Tag the scapegoat! Malone could have given up money here to help buy a stronger team like he did in LA. I like most all Jazz players but the one to blame if any is Malone not Ostertag!

• Chadders
    Sept. 14, 2009 9:13 a.m.

Ostertag was one of the worst wastes of talent this league has ever had.
    I think it's pretty funny I had to listen to people all summer talk about what a terrible job KOC and the Jazz have been doing with their personal, draft picks, etc. And the same people kept saying Portland is so much smarter than us but now they are thinking about signing Collins. Haha if they do sign him can we finally stop talking about them as a better franchise than we are?

• awesome.
    Sept. 14, 2009 9:36 a.m.

If he can't come back, I'm sure he'll mention sloan in his HOF induction speech in two years.

• To Malone Haters
    Sept. 14, 2009 9:41 a.m.

In the playoffs, defense steps up and everyone keyed on Malone. This was possible because the Jazz had no one else to step up offensively, not enough outside shooters to start raining 3s when Malone was triple teamed, no one crashing the boards for offensive rebounds. Well rounded teams make you pay when you focus your defense on one guy, but not the Jazz.

• John Wicks
    Sept. 14, 2009 10:10 a.m.

Who next,Luther Wright?????

• todd to chadders
    Sept. 14, 2009 10:28 a.m.

I laughed at that also--Collins? Why? they have Joel P and Oden? Portland though Chadders went after several players as they had more financial space, I think that is the point-aggressive in signing players, although Andre Miller if you look at his career has always played better in the Eastern Conference-i do not think Portland is much better, I am more worried about improved Dallas and Spurs for us to move up

• He did his job
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:11 a.m.

Ostertag did what he was expected - a la Mark Eaton. He clogged the middle and blocked shots, got rebounds. He had butter fingers and did not have any offensive moves or shot. But we did not need that from him. He's a lenky 7' 2" and not strong enough to body-up on anyone, but he'd be better at center than Fez.

• comma man
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:41 a.m.

best center ever,eaton horrible

• He Stinks
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:58 a.m.

Remember when shaq slapped him in the face? What did he do, he just fell on the ground crying.
    The Jazz need a strong presence in the paint, not some guy who can't catch, and will back down from even brevin knight.

This guy was almost as bad as shawn bradley.

• Wonder
    Sept. 14, 2009 12:04 p.m.

how much the Jazz will offer to get him back. He was a better defender than Boozer and a better re bounder than Collins. What a wonderful help he would be.

• Captain Jonathan Beauregard III
    Sept. 14, 2009 12:13 p.m.

Well, if he does come back, that says it all. It will be a horrible season.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 14, 2009 12:23 p.m.

I personally was a jazz fan back when adrean dantley played,and as far as i am concerned they are still a great team,every team makes there mistakes.i am hopeing that the jazz do well this season.

• Skeptical cougar fan
    Sept. 14, 2009 12:49 p.m.

I hate to say it but I am skeptical that the Y will beat Florida State. Playing at home will help alot but the speed factor is going to kill the Y. Florida is so fast and athletic in all positions. Hall will have to have his best game ever to beat FSU because he will see a pressing man to man defense the entire game along with a heavy dose of pressure from the d-line. Is BYU up to the challenge?? I don't think so but I could be wrong.

• Re To Malone Haters
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:18 p.m.

It was either him being triple teamed OR him worrying about wrestling in the WWF! I still have nightmares seeing him running down the court in the championship series flashing the "diamond cutter" to the crowd! I don't think it had as much to do with him being triple teamed as you think!!!

• plyxply
    Sept. 14, 2009 2:11 p.m.

bring O back, I'd love to see it. I used to cheer my guts out for him when he did well, and if the Jazz had someone similar that could clog up the lane and free the others to play more aggressive defense it would help us a bunch.

• The Truth
    Sept. 14, 2009 4:04 p.m.

Ostertag never was much of a work out machine. I doubt he has what it takes from a work ethic point of view to make it back to the NBA. It's not like he has been pumping weights like Karl has during his retirement. Good luck finding a suitable partner, someone who is willing to pay you to watch games from the bench!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 14, 2009 5:38 p.m.

If Ostertag could have visualized the rim as a steak dinner and the ball as desert at the Peppermill Hotel and Casino, I am sure his rebounds and points would have increased dramatically.

• Zeke
    Sept. 14, 2009 8:30 p.m.

Worst player to ever play for JAZZ. JAZZ brass please don`t sign him to another contract. This wouldn`t surprise me it`s happened before.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:07 p.m.

YOu are all wasting your time ragging on Ostertag,

he was not a top draft choice,

if he actually ever became something

NOW THAT would have been the surprise!

Hew man centers drafted in the lottery make ithave soectacular careers?

Jazz management over paid him, creating undue expectations.

I sloans system gives the Center very little to do in the offnse besides stand out at the 3-point line.

okur succeeds in the system becaue he can shoot the three.

Heres is the real truth of the jazz (with or without ostertag):

They had the greatest point guard,

They had the greatest power foward,

in a sloan system that features the point guard and power foward

and still NO championships.

(and the reality is they only came close because the league was down,

and in one those years thay had to have a last second shot to even make it to the finals,

and when jordon retired they still couldn't win it in a strike shortened season.}

YOu all can be the judge on what all that means.

• Eye Dee Ten Tee
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:43 p.m.

Um... How can you have a comeback when you have never been there?

• Searce
    Sept. 15, 2009 12:58 a.m.

Top: Sceptical Cougar Fan 12:49 PM

I thought this article was about the Utah Jazz and Ostertag, not BYU? Please stay on-topic. Thank you.

• ruthven
    Sept. 15, 2009 6:36 a.m.

You only have to watch the famous 6th game playoff win vs. Houston where Stockton hits the last shot to see how effective Ostertag was for them. He shut down and frustrated Olajawon, enabling the Jazz to get to the finals that year. If you watch that game, you'll see what is missing from the current Jazz team...someone who can stop another teams post scorer.
    You guys can't get past that the guy was funny looking to see how important Ostertag was. Fortunately, Sloan realizes it.

• pastor88
    Sept. 15, 2009 2:03 p.m.

Good for Tag. He could give any team a respectible 10-15 minutes of interior defense.
    His stats with the jaz show what he was allowed to do. Dont fault him for what sloan wouldnt let him do.
    Shaq was once asked who his toughest match up was and he sadi Ostertag from Utah. Obviuosly Tag made an impression, so much that Shaq blindsided him and Karl just stood and watched it happen. A real team mate would have stepped up and got involved.
    Tag had more than basketball to worry about when in Utah he had to make sure he bowed to Malone and if he didnt he was reprimanded by the bully sloan.
    Maybe he could have worked harder,but why if you only get to stand around on offense.

Best wishes to Tag and his family. After meeting Tag and sharing popcorn at a revue I and My son still have much respect for the second best center the Jazz have ever had.

• todd to pastor 88
    Sept. 15, 2009 6:29 p.m.

I happen to like and respect Greg a great great deal. Far as the best center ever for the Jazz, in my opinion, it would have been Felton Spencer who was improving and became a 10-11 pppg scorer, until the fateful night at Boston Garden he tore his knee.

For those that think I rip Jerry on every issue, he did a good job improving Felton from when he first got to the Jazz to then.

Strangely enough, I agree Greg could outproduce Collins, Fes at least now. Sure he had bad hands. But he could play most centers, Shaq would be better but Greg held his own. he played fundamental good defense, clogged the paint and at least made teams think twice before walking in for layups or taking to the rim at will unlike now.

Believe it or not, If Jerry wanted to resign him for this year which is unlikely I would support it. He could give solid backup playfor Okur and give us a different look or play both together. I trust Tag enough he would be in shape and give a professional effort,.

• Chadders
    Sept. 16, 2009 10:21 a.m.

I have to disagree with most of the people on here. 'Tag was one of the worst players ever to put on a Jazz uniform. Best Center the Jazz have ever had is easily Okur, he would kill Felton, Tag, Eaton, etc. Okur is a nontraditional Center for sure but he has improved every year and played a vast majority of his games and played with effort. I think it is funny that people act like AK is a financial black hole but praise Ostertag. If that guy ever even played one season like the $$ he got the Jazz could have won a ring easily.
    re:ruthven
    You are wrong no one ever shut down Hakeem. The only thing that stopped him was injuries. He was in my opinion the most underrated players ever to play in the NBA. He had the best year ever for anyone in 1994. He was the regular season MVP, Defensive player of the year, Finals MVP and he won the ring. No one else has ever done that, not Mike not Russell, not Kareem, not Kobe, etc.

• todd to chadders
    Sept. 16, 2009 11:42 a.m.

Chadders, even Brad Rock in Lindys discusses how the Jazz have now low post threat at the center position, that is why we did not include Mehmout because to me he should be a #4

• Pastor88 to Chadders
    Sept. 17, 2009 8:12 p.m.

Given the opportunity to, I elieve Tag could have had better numbers. But under Sloans system there was no Real opportunity.
    Of all the JAzz players I have watched none has endured as much open beration as Tag. Yet he showed up every night to do what he was allowed to, to the best of his ability. The mental side of the game is important and if you have a coach constantly berating you in public, you will not perform to your potential.
    Mark Eaton was another team player in a system that did not use the 5 position for offense. He did what was asked of him and more. How many blocked shots?
    How many blocked shots as a team did the jazz have in 2008?
    Tag was more mobilr than Mark and broguht a added defense to the interior. He also did better than Felton on the perimeter. Blocked shots?
    Of course both of these centers would have had more rebounds had it not been for Malones needs and being put at the three point line on offense.
    Okur is a #4 no doubt about it. Apples,pears, and oranges.