Utah

Editor defends plan to speak about marriage

Comments

• sljournalist
    Sept. 11, 2009 7:16 p.m.

Sorry, Joe... unethical.

• uncannygunman
    Sept. 11, 2009 7:21 p.m.

I'm just like Joe Cannon, I'll speak to anyone, anytime. But if I speak the the Ku Klux Klan, my speech is largely going to be a condemnation of everything the Klan stands for. Similarly, if I were to speak to a convention of anti-gay activists, I would be reminding them of the error of their ways.

So the question really is, what did Cannon say when he spoke?

• logan
    Sept. 11, 2009 10:22 p.m.

open your hearts and minds!!!

• Matthew
    Sept. 11, 2009 11:51 p.m.

Impartial? Newspapers take sides all the time in their editorials. Since when has anyone thought or asserted that they are impartial? A paper can take stands, as can individuals working at papers, and still report the news in a balanced manner. But even with the best intentions and efforts, personal biases will always color the writing and editing of newspapers. To pretend otherwise is naive in the extreme. All people think and have opinions. Some just put a little more effort into thinks and forming opinions than others do.

When did so many people in this country buy into the idea of thought police?

• Utahman
    Sept. 12, 2009 12:07 a.m.

I guess we're pre Civil Rights in thhe 1960's--only it's the 21st Century in Utah.. Sooo sad! But not unexpected from Utah I suppose.

• Digbads
    Sept. 12, 2009 1:47 a.m.

Marriage and families are good, and are the bedrock of our civilization.

• Doug G
    Sept. 12, 2009 7:19 a.m.

I don't suppose you're going to mention it, Joe, but from your marriage perspective we've got the perfect first family in the white house. Say anything positive about obama at the sutherland institute and I imagine you'll be out on your ear,eh?

• wow
    Sept. 12, 2009 8:17 a.m.

gay actiivists dont want Cannon at a "divisive" event - guess it was a good thing that he did not go to a kiss-in. As a homosexual man - such hypocrisy in my name is an embarrassment to me

• Anonymous
    Sept. 12, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Matthew,

Newspapers are privately owned. They aren't subject to the same rules as elected officials.

Cannon is an elected representative of the people in his district. All of them.

He rightly deserves the criticism he is receiving for this. It's bigoted and it's wrong.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 12, 2009 8:58 a.m.

Oops, wrong Cannon.

• Atlas
    Sept. 12, 2009 5:35 p.m.

Support a good cause -- wholesome, traditional, healthy marriages are worthy of support.

• @ Atlas
    Sept. 12, 2009 5:45 p.m.

Does that mean you do not support unwholesome traditional marriages? How about unhealthy traditional marriages?

Why not support healthy marriages whether traditional or not?