U.S. & World

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy dies of cancer at age 77

Comments

• The Balance of Power...
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:29 a.m.

May just shift a bit if the Repubs can get his seat!

• rvalens2
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:36 a.m.

Though I rarely agreed with him, I do admire the many years of service he gave to his country.

Rest in peace Senator.

• BD
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:44 a.m.

I disagreed with him on almost everything but the simple reality is that Senator Ted Kennedy was a tremendous part of American history. Where his brother’s light burned bright for a brief moment his was duller but more constant able to stay lit for almost 50 years. It sometimes flickered but his underlying reach is the stuff of academic courses and historical biographies. The latest was his hand up to the current president who was facing a formable opponent. The photo op of Barack Obama and JFK brother and daughter should not be underestimated. Of course his personal life will dog his legacy from Chappaquiddick, to his tumultuous challenge to his own parties sitting president in 1980, to the early 90’s Smith rape case. Liberals loved him his enemies despised him politically but almost all marvel at his effective passionate contribution good or bad to America. Some could say the Democratic Party is more Ted Kennedy’s party than JFK’s or Bill Clinton’s and that Barack Obama is a Kennedy baby a Ted Kennedy baby. Ole Teddy Kennedy is gone but won’t soon be forgotten.

• Aric
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:50 a.m.

Sincere condolences to the Kennedy family.

• jimz
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:55 a.m.

godspeed Sen. Kennedy! Your politics and accomplishments for social justice are admirable. A true liberal, always fighting for the less advantaged. Many (especially in Utah) will try and smear you, no doubt! In death we can forget personal failings and recognize your public efforts (I don't believe in Jesus, but approve of not 'casting the first stone'). God Bless America!

• Canadiandy
    Aug. 26, 2009 2:02 a.m.

While many of us couldn't stand his politics, most of us can recognize his commitment to his party and his beliefs.

My condolences to his family and supporters.

• rightascension
    Aug. 26, 2009 3:24 a.m.

I suspected that the end of Edward Kennedy was near when he did not attend his sister's funeral a few days ago. And now both Eunice and Edward have died in the same year.

Edward Kennedy was the greatest of the Kennedys. Whereas John's career spanned from 1947 to 1963 and Robert's career spanned from 1961 to 1968, Edward's career started in 1962 and ended in 2009.

Most senators come and go and have the moral sense of a cat. Senator Kennedy possessed real integrity -- he had a set of principles and he worked in the senate and conducted his senate career by those principles.

My condolences to the Kennedy Family.

He was one of the greatest senators ever.

• A Warrior's Vision
    Aug. 26, 2009 4:20 a.m.

"The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die."

So Be it.

• So long
    Aug. 26, 2009 5:25 a.m.

Teddy!!! May your influences of dirty politics be taken with you, and may your soul rest in peace!!!

• Good Riddance
    Aug. 26, 2009 5:38 a.m.

Another greedy selfish politician gone. That's a good thing for America.

• shawilli
    Aug. 26, 2009 5:47 a.m.

I believe in term limits, a career politican is like a growth that should be removed as quickly as possible. I did not like his liberal politics, he fully and completly supported the Obama administration in everythng including the massive defecits this country now is facing. I am sure he did alot of good for all his liberal buddies and this nation will now go into deep mourning for the "end of and era" and all the other garbage heaped on a man who overstayed his welcome and who should have resigned gracefully instead of refusing to step down. For a man who claimed to care so much for the "common man" he was power hungry and very vain and a big washington insider who will like the smell of dirty laundry eventually fade away with time.

• Goody
    Aug. 26, 2009 5:48 a.m.

It was more than politics. He was just wrong on most issues, just like most liberals.

• New Yorker
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:12 a.m.

Accomplishments? Cheating in college, Mary Jo's death, affairs, partying with his nephews (one charged with rape while with uncle teddy) and putting his wife away.....now that is what I call accomplishments! If that is what Americans consider to be accomplisments, I hope to be unaccomplished.

• Observer
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:16 a.m.

After reading Ted's biography, I can understand why Senator Hatch loved and admired him...Goodbye Senator Kennedy, you will be greatly missed.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:22 a.m.

I agree with New Yorker.

• RIP
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:30 a.m.

Good riddance!

• Re: New Yorker
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:35 a.m.

I couldn't agree with you more!! Thank you for standing up and calling him out. Just because he's dead doesn't mean we should immortalize him. He's been a senator for a long time...woopdie doo. He thought he owned Massachusetts, and he was nothing but trouble in his past. He's not an admirable guy

• Sanity
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:45 a.m.

Rest in peace Mr. Kennedy. Hopefully in your death people will only choose to remember the good things you did. We all do things we regret. You did a whole lot of good in this world and we appreciate your willingness to serve our country and stand up for your beliefs.

• The Lion of the Senate
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:47 a.m.

There will be a lot of horrible comments on here. I am LDS and I will remind other LDS members on here to be courteous as I am sure they would say very different things if they knew that they were being watched (even though, according to our beliefs, they are- Ironic). I would ask everyone else to be kind as well but we all know that it certainly won't happen from half of the comments on here anyway from anyone. Anonymous Forums=Death-traps

TED KENNEDY-
    I always wanted to meet him- partially to say I had met one of the brothers and mainly because though I disagree with some of his philosophical beleifs I have no disagreement with his desire to do good.

Many Utah-LDS-Republicans forget- not everyone in our government can be LDS, it just wouldn't work that way. Not everyone can be republican as well. When I turned 18 I hated George W. with a passion and now I realize that any president may be amazing. I will always respect that as Joseph Smith's life is often distorted, theirs may be also. Nothing more truthful can be said than that.

• Timj
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:56 a.m.

He died just last night. It would show grace and maturity to speak kindly of him so soon after his passing.
    May his family and friends, including Senator Hatch, be comforted.

• Notable for me-
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:00 a.m.

Were the words at his brother Bobby's funeral, "some men see things as they are, and ask why? I dreamed things that never were and ask, why not?" I still remember the tone and tenor of his voice. I had no stomach for his politics, but I do give him credit for a wonderful memory from my childhood.

• RIP
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:04 a.m.

I do not mourn this man's death. He was a scandal to Irish Catholics as well as the Church with his prominent pro-abortion support and embryonic stem cell research.

He was not an admirable man, and although I know everyone has faults and I sympathize with some of them, I don't think that he should be held up as a good politician, or a Catholic.

Eunice Shriver was far more moral than Ted and deserves more recognition.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:18 a.m.

Duck for cover! Its now 7:00 AM MST. Conservatives along the Wasatch front are awaking to the news of Kennedy's death.

So begins the hate mongering Utah's un-churched conservatives are known for.

Let it fly. Don't hold back. Show us your true colors.

• Lion of senate@6:47
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:24 a.m.

What are you babbling about?

Why do self described LDS Democrats alaways feel the need to warn LDS Republicans on how to behave.

Democrats are arrogant and condescending. LDS Liberals are all that, not to mention insufferable.

• Bill
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:26 a.m.

Though I never agreed much with his politics, I will always remember that he still stood for the common man. Everyone has their skeletons and everyone makes their own beds but in the end Ted Kennedy was a good Senator. He will be remembered as a great statesman. I wouldn't call him the greatest senator of his time but I would rank him as one of the greatest of all time.

May his family have our condolences and may we all feel we are better people whether we agreed with him or not, just for having known him.

• dave
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:32 a.m.

The man's works and political beliefs were shameful...bad fruit his entire adult life. This country will be better off without him. Now, if we could just rid this country of his kind of corrupt politics, this nation would rise again as the home of the free.

• re: RIP
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:36 a.m.

"I just hope that he repented of these views before his death. I am embarrassed that Sen. Hatch would have anything to do with such a man who was truly a model of the old corrupt politician one reads about or sees in the movies."

If you're looking for corrupt politicians, look no further than Mr. Dick Cheney. The man who turned the Vice Presidencey into a one-man power trip. The man who continually made enemies with is decisions, and was quick to strike back at those enemies who might call him on his immoral movements. The man, along with George W. Bush, who urged the Homeland Security Secretary to inflate the National Alert Level prior to the 2004 Presidential Election, to try and sway voters.

Republicans will see what they want, and ignore what they want. As I'm sure many Democrats do.

This man served his country for decades. He fought the fights that his beliefs pushed him towards. America has lost a true fighter, in a time when too many merely fight for what is popular.

• juneboy64
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:41 a.m.

I also agree with New Yorker. Lets ignore all the scandal that surrounded this man's life. What in is life is worthy of anyone wanting to emulate? I would not want to be in his shoes trying to justify his life actions at the pearly gates.

• John Pack Lambert
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:54 a.m.

If the Republicans can get Kennedy's seat it will indicate major shifts. All 10 House seats in Massachusetts have been held by the Democrats since 1996. Anyway, with Senate seats the initial replacement is apointed by the governor (thus the Illinois selling the seat debacle) and Massachusetts has a Democrat governor, so don't anticipate any quick change.

• to RIP
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:57 a.m.

he will be remembered as a great statesman ... you will not be remembered ... your toxic comments give us a window into a miserable little soul..

• ECR
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:58 a.m.

6:35 said to New Yorker "I couldn't agree with you more!! Thank you for standing up and calling him out."

Calling him out? The man is dead. How brave of you both to make claims against a dead man who has no opportunity to refute what you say. You are both cowards - of the worst kind.

• Instereo
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:01 a.m.

Voting at 18, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title 9 (Women's Sports), and another 300 bills he wrote and 500 that he co-sponsered and you can see that he affected every American alive today and made our country a better place for ALL Americans.

The hate and disparagement thrown at him the day after he dies by many of our citizens here on this forum reflects worse on them then on him. He did something with his life and devoted it to service. He was human like any of us are and made mistakes and had opinions that we may not have agreed with but he still served as best he could and served until the end of his life. Personally, I'd rather follow his example then those that revile him.

May the coming Health Bill be named after him and if it won't pass with a single republican vote, so be it. It's time for republicans to start working for the common man instead of their wallets or fear based ideology.

• InAZ
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:02 a.m.

I disagreed with Ted on most issues, but as a Christian I do not judge him. My prayers are with the Kennedy family.

• Service?
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:04 a.m.

What do you mean "served his country?" He got paid for being a senator. It was his job--a very powerful, prideful one. He didn't "serve" his country. He used his powerful job and family name as a bully pulpit to try to push through his pet socially liberal and immoral policies. Name one policy that he pushed through that actually helped his state or countrymen become a better people?

• KM
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:05 a.m.

This is a great day for all freedom loving Americans. The only service he ever gave was to himself. On to your reward, my friend, on to your reward.

• All Knowing
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:08 a.m.

@Anonymous 7:18 a.m.:

"Duck for cover!"

We shoulda been ducking for cover for years... ever since this guy came on the political scene. It's now time for us to all take a deep breathe of the fresh air of freedom... freedom from not a lion of the senate by a hyena.

• Paul
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:09 a.m.

Thank you for the many years of service. May you rest in peace.

• MM
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:12 a.m.

Wake up star-struck America. This man is a disgrace. Just search Mary Jo Kopechne, Chappaquiddick of Ted Kennedy DRUNK DRIVER and you will see a major problem with America (or at least MA). And we haven't even discussed his politics.

Any one of us would have rotted in JAIL. Ted Kennedy instead lived a lifestyle of lavishness and is now praised as the greatest Senator ever my our President. Shame.

• What in his life?
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:23 a.m.

The question was asked "What in his life is worthy of emulation?" One thing would be his personal support for the children of his brothers who were left without fathers when they were killed in their line of service. Another would be his sacrifice of personal comfort and fortune to serve the American people. How about his willingness to mentor young politicians, like Barack Obama, who was helped by his guiding hand. Then there is his consistent principles of helping the less fortuante to receive the same benefits as more privileged people. He never used his considerable access to the public to downgrade any group, to punish the already weak or to profit from their hardship. Nothing required him to give his life for the public good, he just did it and we are all beneficiaries of his service.

• Ted Kennedy
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:24 a.m.

If you consider him a great statesman---covering up the Kopechne incident, putting his wife Joan aside because she was an alcoholic( that's like calling the kettle black..

He's also a hypocrite for touting green energy and then not wanting windmills around his property because "the scenery was obstructed" is just one of his gems.

I was around when he first began his political career, and anyone could see that his views were liberal and clung to the Democratic line.

Not once did he vere from that even though they were wrong, so for that I call him a coward and a typical politician who was only interested in pleasing his party.

Definitely not "A Man for All Seasons" and anyone you could admire.

• This is a man that
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:29 a.m.

did his best to help those with less. His only fault was that he liked Senator Hatch.

• Here's something good
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:32 a.m.

that I have to say.....................

• S2
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:35 a.m.

While those who extol Sen Kennedy for his passion and years of service are correct, the positive nature of his contributions will always be debatable. He "served" in a highly paid, ego-stroking, protected, pampered 'Old Boys Club' and wanted for nothing.
    Yes, he probably worked hard at it. I am sure his staffers and handlers worked harder.
    His name is well known, his presence long on the stage, but I disagree wholeheartedly with the adulation for the direction of his work, and the way he led and lived his personal life. Even to the end, knowing he was terminally ill, that senate seat meant more to him, and his elitist belief in his presence over that of a healthy and active replacement was self-serving. Rather than gracefully retire, he clung to it instead, and the Commonwealth at home is without representation, while the politicking goes on to change procedures that would have been unnecessary if he could have left the scene gracefully.

Condolences to the family and friends.

• Generation Y
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:42 a.m.

As one who grew up not worshipping the Kennedys, I have often been perplexed what is the fascination with them? Please don't try to explain, it's a rhetorical question. I realize that America needs heroes so we take people, ignore any faults and cast ourselves statues of gold that we may see them without any imperfection. It is what has allowed us to deify everyone from George Washington to Lincoln to Kennedy to Obama. My heart goes out to the family but let us be careful in the future to never put personalities above principles.

• Steve
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:43 a.m.

An event like certainly brings out the best and the worst in us. I am pleased to see generous comments, even from those who disagreed with the politics of the senator from Massachusetts. I am shocked to see personal attacks on his character. This is no time for such pettiness. I am appalled to see sweeping condemnation of everyone on the other side of the political fence. "Democrats are arrogant and condescending." I can't imagine a more ARROGANT statement than that. Petty, just petty.
    Mr Kennedy had his faults, but he was a dedicated servant. I salute him.

• Reason
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:45 a.m.

Mr. Kennedy has been lionized by his length of service and admitted devotion to his causes. However, as with most of us, most of his so-called accomplishments were made possible by sacrifices others made.

Its a theme for his entire political life. He was for the common man...as long as other common men footed the bill and no one touched his trust fund.

He was for renewable energy, unless someone proposed to sully his view at Hyannis Port with wind machines.

I pray for the Kennedy Family as they take another member of the Greatest Generation to rest. However, history may not treat Teddy as nicely as the media are today.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:49 a.m.

The more I read Deseret News the less respect I have for Utahns and Mormons.

I started reading it to find out about how you think. Now I wish I didn't know.

• Greedy, Selfish?
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:52 a.m.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. He was always about progress and equality for all Americans. Nothing like conservative politicians that are about individualism and self service, fighting a progress and social services.
    Kennedy was a fine statesman that fought for those that are oppressed, lending a voice to those that are unheard.

• To New Yorker
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:54 a.m.

I know you, You are most definitely unaccomplished.

• lola
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:57 a.m.

God is a perfect judge....let us let Him do it. As a LDS woman, we understand and believe that those who didn't have the gospel in this life can't be judged as if they did. I wonder how he spent his last days on earth? I'm sure he was reviewing his life as some of us will get to or do. He was probably not happy with some of his choices...just like we won't be with some of ours. But, he was raised to believe as he did and put his energies into it. Do we do the same? Believe me...I didn't like his choices....but my voice didn't come out to oppose his. It is a little late for our voices to be heard about him now. Pray that God comforts his family...then lets use our voices to make sure someone who is so different from our view points doesn't get into or stay in politics.

• I will. . .
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:58 a.m.

. . . shed no tears for Teddy Kennedy.

• New Yorker
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:06 a.m.

What makes idiots think that because you post in the DNs that you are a Mormon? Wake up children, not everybody in Utah or reads the DN is a Mormon.

• Loodie
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:22 a.m.

Everybody has to go out someway! And we all leave our fooprint - big or small, good or bad! In two weeks no one will remember him or speak his name. And we move on.

• DN reader
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:26 a.m.

want to see what non mormons are like read the trib.

• almost a graduate
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:28 a.m.

His tenure as senator working on education was both good and bad. Pell Grants? Good. Americorp? Good. Direct Lending? Bbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddd! Why? Because of Kennedy, students now pay more money for student loans and have a harder time getting them. Tens of thousands of jobs have been lost for which Kennedy so pridefully patted himself on the back. Students, listen closely. Direct lending eliminates competition and you will pay more money for school. Student loan servicers and private lenders used to offer a discount for loans and advantages for paying on time. At one point it was over a 2% reduction in interest. Kennedy has pushed the government to take over student lending, and is close to winning. If the government takes over, and the only option is Direct Lending, be prepared to pay more money toward your education. There will be no discounts as there were with private lending, nor the service that was offered. There will be more frustration, less bang for the buck, and longer lines trying to figure things out. Let alone the cost to schools to change all of their computer systems to accomodate the change. I am glad I am done with school!

• LDS Democrats?
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:37 a.m.

You mean there is such a thing as LDS Democrats??? I've yet to meet an LDS person that is something other than "conservative" republican.

If you don't think Kennedy served his country and stayed in office too long, then obviously Utah's senators aren't serving their country and are staying in office WAAAAAAAY too long. Though I'm sure the vast majority of Utah would love term limits on anyone that is not a republican.

I've spent my life in Utah and it is obvious that LDS people dislike diversity of any kind. If you're not LDS and not republican your thoughts and opinions are automatically wrong. LDS are apparently unwilling to accept different people. Which becomes clear when reading most of the comments left in forums like this that are remotely political.

Well LDS republicans, I'd like for you to know that you CAN be a Christian and a "liberal" democrat, or at least a Christian and not a republican if you can't accept a Christian democrat as a possibility.

• to 8:49
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:47 a.m.

thank you ... yours is probably the most perceptive comment to this story ... i grew up in this culture ... i'm glad i didn't stay..

• Carolyn
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:47 a.m.

Sen. Kennedy had character flaws but we all have character flaws. He did more good for the common American citizens than most recognize - esp. those who spew hate and thus show their ignorance.
    Condolences to the Kennedy family.

• To some of you
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:53 a.m.

I'd like to look at the lives of some of the writers herein.. I wonder if their accomplishments are even a flicker compared to Ted Kennedy. I'd guess not-- I wonder if their moral lives are better than Ted Kennedy.. Maybe, maybe not.
    I am a Christian and believe our Saviour will judge us each and everyone. Only in Utah will a man that did what he did would be castigated and ridiculed for his accomplishments.
    I feel sorrow for those of you that are so bitter and small of heart that you cannot forgive or attempt to understand..
    And yes, I was raised Mormon. I wonder why I left it????

• New Yorker is right -
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:59 a.m.

Just as not every opinion expressed in these comments is that of a member of the LDS Church or a resident of Utah, we can't assume that New Yorker expresses the views of everyone from his city or state. What a relief to know all that.

• Great Loss
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:02 a.m.

What a loss. He was a great man.

• sad comments vs hopeful comments
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:06 a.m.

you people making derogatory comments are despicable and your comments reflect poorly on you not Senator Kennedy. On a lighter note it is nice to see so many thoughtful comments from those that may not have agreed with his politics but still understand proper decorum. It gives hope that we may someday be able to return the word civil to civil debate.

• Clark
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:10 a.m.

Short memories? 8:52 said, "Remember President Hinckley's funeral when "protesters" stood by the road to the funeral with signs that said he was going to hell? Did any of you people who are cheering Kennedy's death think that was appropriate?"

Have you read EACH AND EVERY comment on this board so far? YES, some people are being disrespectful, but many others who are LDS and GOP are showing respect for Senator Kennedy and offering condolence to his family.

TRUE, bad mouthing anyone (except for maybe Hitler and Saddam) right after they have passed away is WRONG. Which begs the question, if a prominent Republican here in Utah passed away today, would every comment be kind and respectful, or would there be a few at least a few cheap shots by some of your "compassionate" Democrat friends?

True, Senator Kennedy's record is not flawless, but the fact is he held his family through tragedy after tragedy and in the last 100 years of our nation's history, few politicians have been more compelling and influential than Ted Kennedy.

RIP and bless his family at this time!

• God Bless Sen. Kennedy
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:17 a.m.

My condolences go out to his family, the Senate and our country.

Thank you Mr. Kennedy for your service.

• Non-Mormon Utahn
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:20 a.m.

"The more I read Deseret News the less respect I have for Utahns and Mormons."

I must agree with you on losing respect for Mormons. I was born and raised in Utah and am not a Mormon. I know the vast majority of Utah is made up of Mormon/republicans but I am not either.

I think it's disgusting that the first comment was enthusiastically about the possibility in shifting the balance of power back to the republicans. If he was a republican, Mormons would forgive his past mistakes. When McCain dies, I'm sure Mormons will forgive him for the fact that he left his disabled wife for a rich heiress and call him a great man.

Utah needs more non-Mormon/republican people to make our presence known. Even if just in an anonymous forum.

• @what in his life?
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:36 a.m.

Sorry you are so blinded by political views. I will grant you that he did give financial support to those he deemed in need. Albeit, the money was taken from one group and given to another. Never out of his own pocket in true marxists fashion.
    "We are all beneficiaries of his service?" Its self service. Get to the crux of the matter. Politicians of our day are only self serving, they resemble nothing that Washington or Jefferson demonstrated.

• Term Limits?
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:41 a.m.

47 years as a senator! Wow, politics should not be a career choice. 2 terms would be plenty for all politicians.

• Clark
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:51 a.m.

"To LDS Democrats? 9:37" said, "... it is obvious that LDS people dislike diversity of any kind. If you're not LDS and not republican your thoughts and opinions are automatically wrong. LDS are apparently unwilling to accept different people."

OH OKAY, that's why the current mayor of Salt Lake City is a Democrat. That's why the current mayor of Salt Lake County is a Democrat. That's why the residents of the 2nd Congressional District have elected a Democrat FIVE straight times. That's why the late Bill Orton, A DEMOCRAT, was elected three times in the third district.

Shall I continue?

"To some of you 9:53" said, "Only in Utah will a man that did what he did would be castigated and ridiculed for his accomplishments."

ARE YOU SERIOUS? My brother lives in North Carolina, and when Jesse Helms passed away several years ago, he was ripped apart on the Internet and even in some news stories. And what about when President Hinckley passed away? Can you say with a straight face he wasn't "castigated" on the web by many of your fellow "Christians?"

Talk about being narrow minded!

• Cosmo
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:58 a.m.

DNS, I will be nice: I refuse to worship Ted,his turn came, as it does for all. Just because one dies,does not make them a saint! We all are, what we are, when our time comes.

• RE: To some of you
    Aug. 26, 2009 11:02 a.m.

You said, "Only in Utah will a man that did what he did would be castigated and ridiculed for his accomplishments."

I thought that too...until I went to the Amazon forums to see what was being posted there. It's unfortunately very much the same as what you see here.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    Aug. 26, 2009 11:04 a.m.

My 2 cents worth now. Before you DN Utah liberal PC Thought Police cherry pickers get your hot little fingers poised over the keyboard to tell me that none of my comments are never found to be abusive, offensive, off-topic, misrepresentative, more than 200 words, just the truth, then censor me anyway, just because I will not sit here in a pool of tear's and a box of tissue's next to my side, and mourn the death of poor old Teddy, (aka - Sen. Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts), I refuse to be censored. Who cares if liberal tributes are pouring in, from presidents, statesmen, senators, and journalists, not I. You can't cover up the truth's. A book The Bribe was written about his exploits with the Mafia. It's the liberal media that worships the Kennedy Irish mafia. RIP.

• You think D-News is bad...
    Aug. 26, 2009 11:08 a.m.

Read some of the comments about this on some of the national news outlets. I'd say D-News readers are being very restrained in comparison. Mr. Kennedy was not well liked outside of MA.

And I agree with others. To come on this message board and proclaim your loss of faith in the LDS people because of comments you read on a Utah message board is uninformed and juvenile.

• Doug
    Aug. 26, 2009 11:23 a.m.

Kennedy said this of Reagan's conservative choice, Robert Bork.

"Rober Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens' doors in midnight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the doors of the Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens for whom the judiciary is -- and is often the only -- protector of the individual rights that are the heart of our democracy... President Reagan is still our president. But he should not be able to reach out from the muck of Irangate, reach into the muck of Watergate and impose his reactionary vision of the Constitution on the Supreme Court and the next generation of Americans. No justice would be better than this injustice".

Really?

The newspapers may call him, "Lion of the Senate", "Defender of Liberalism", etc...Strip away the accolades and you quickly realize he was probably the chief political opponent of conservative, traditional family values.

• RI Reader
    Aug. 26, 2009 11:25 a.m.

I know this is far down the list, but I want to contribute anyway to anyone who may be reading. (I am both a very active Mormon and a very active Democrat - it is possible!)

For many of his years, Ted Kennedy had the personal morals of a pig. But people change. He took his stripes for Chappaquidick, and saw it keep him from the white house. He could have become a bitter, angry - and very rich - man who used his money without morals to get what he wanted. Instead, he turned to serving America in the senate and to seeing that all Americans get an equal shot at all the blessings of liberty and wealth. For those he say: he was paid, how is that service? Remember that everyone in military service is also paid, and no one would doubt that they serve America.

He was a remarkable and kind man. He will have much to answer for, but his good works since Chappaquidick will speak to his desire to be good and to give back the goodness shown to him.

May God bless America, and may God bless the Kennedys at this very sad time.

• Veteran
    Aug. 26, 2009 11:46 a.m.

For anybody who dies I offer my condolecences to their family but I thought Arlington National Cemetary was reserved for war heros and their spouses? Besides Arlington is getting filled up. His brother Bobby didn't want to be buried there and Teddy wasn't a war hero.

• To Non-Mormon Utahn 10:20
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:00 p.m.

I think it is interesting how you cherry picked over the respectful, kind things said about Senator Kennedy, only to focus your attention on the mean-spirited comments and assume ALL Utah LDS Republicans think the same way. Have you read the comments by Orrin Hatch, Bob Bennett and Mitt Romney?

I don't know where you live, but in my neighborhood, the LDS Church members have a good relationship with those of other faiths and beliefs. I have a number of non-LDS friends who have lived here in Utah for many years, and while they may not like some aspects of our culture, they refuse to play the perpetual victim card.

As for me, I AM LDS, I AM from Utah and I AM a Registered Republican. I WELCOME MORE diversity here to Utah. I WELCOME MORE Catholics, Jews, Athiests and yes, DEMOCRATS to Utah.

As for Senator Ted Kennedy, I praise his service to our country. The Lord bless his family during this difficult time. Not only in losing the senator, but in also losing his sister Eunice just a week or so earlier.

• Progressive
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:02 p.m.

Anonymous 8:49, no kidding, I've lived in many palces and a number of countries, Utah is an embarassment and the most uncivilized place I've ever lived in the world. Just be thankful it's irrelevant.

• VF
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:03 p.m.

I remember once back in about 1990 when Senators Hatch and Kennedy came to the Faneuil Hall in downtown Boston to address the missionaries in the Boston Mission. Both speeches were among the greatest I have ever heard to this day. Teddy praised the missionaries and their leaders and also the LDS members who had been so sparce in the area, it was really great and I loved every word said.

I was also in Houston, TX in 1943 when President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, TX. I will never how difficult that had been on all of the people of those days and how much his wife had family had suffered so much.

While I have many differences with the Kennedys my heart goes out to them with all of my heart.

PS to anonymous; My wife and I lived in Utah for 15 years and had 5 children there who we love. Oh yeah I forgot, we are mormons and we love it.

• JAYEG
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:05 p.m.

Re: Service? | 8:04 a.m. Aug. 26, 2009

In response to the 9/11 attacks, Edward Kennedy pushed through legislation that provided healthcare and grief counseling benefits for the families, and recommended the appointment of his former chief of staff Kenneth Feinberg as Special Master of the government's September 11th Victim Compensation Fund. Kennedy maintained an ongoing bond with the Massachusetts 9/11 families in subsequent years.

In response to losses of Massachusetts service personnel in Iraq to roadside bombs, Kennedy became vocal on the issue of Humvee vulnerability, and co-sponsored enacted 2005 legislation that sped up production and Army procurement of unarmored Humvees.

While Kennedy was a staunch liberal, he was able to breach the political barrier between parties, and managed to gain cooperation from Republican Senators.

I could continue as the list of his accomplishments regarding legislation for the benefit of Americans regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation is quite lengthy...but we are limited to length in our remarks.

I didn't agree with everything Kennedy did in his life...but he was a hell of a politician and he served his country throughout his life.

Rest in peace, Senator.

• VF
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:05 p.m.

Another I forgot: it was 1963 not 1943

• Hypocrites in Massachusetts
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:14 p.m.

Back when John Kerry was the Democrat nominee for President, Republican Mitt Romney was the Governor of Massachusetts. Problem? Well if Kerry had won then Romney would get to appoint a replacement for his Senate seat. What did the Dems in Mass do? They changed the law requiring a special election 145 to 160 days after the resignation or death of a Senator, thus ensuring that Romney, a Republican, wouldn't get to appoint a succesor and cost the Dems a seat. That was 2004, now forward to 2009, with the death of Ted Kennedy, the Massachusetts governor (who is a Democrat) is asking the legislator of Massachusetts to pass a law allowing him to appoint a succesor until the special election can be held. Why? Mainly so the Dems still have 60 votes in the U.S. Senate for the health care debate. No word on whether the legislator will go for it, but sad commentary on the thirst for power by Dems in Massachusetts. Simply keep changing the law to protect your power at all costs. Pathetic...

• To Clark
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:15 p.m.

Yes, SLC has a few democrats in office here and there. But according to a popular "best places" to live site, Salt Lake City is only 56% LDS. Provo (and probably the rest of the state) is nearly 90% LDS. Perhaps I just need to move from Provo to SLC.

When was the last time Utah had a non-republican governor? When was the last time Utah voted for a non-republican president? What about Utah's senators? These are rhetorical questions because I know the answers can easily be found online. The point is it's been a very long time.

It can't be denied that for the most part Mormons are republicans. In my personal experience, Mormons aren't very receptive to diversity and seem very hate-filled towards democrats - even using the word "liberal" as if it were an insult.

• @ progressive
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:18 p.m.

I am not sure what you meant by many palces but if Utah is the most uncivilized place you have lived I believe you left out an a...You meant to say "I've lived in many palaces and a number of countries." Really, despising a man who seemed to dedicate his life to destroying self motivation in the masses and stopping people from becoming wealthy while enjoying his own excesses does not make one uncivilized.

• Gus Talwynd
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:21 p.m.

The flame will forever endure. The legacy of Ted Kennedy continues to point the way.

As with his brothers, America is a much finer place because of him.

• Sally
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:24 p.m.

@New Yorker | 6:12 a.m.

It must be an admirable trait in your world where one can so judgmental and unforgiving. Or does it all depend on one's politics?

"He who is without sin . . . "

• Jud
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:27 p.m.

To all LDS who are spewing hatred on the late Edward Kennedy, listen to President Gordon B. Hinckley: "We can give our opinions on the merits of the situation as we see it, but never let us become a party to words or works of evil concerning our brothers and sisters on one side or the other. Political differences never justify hatred or ill will." Shame on you.

• AndyDad
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:36 p.m.

I just want to say how impressed I am that many in this forum who didn't agree with Teddy's politics are recognize his service to the country and his party.

I can only hope that conservatives and leftists (like myself) can find more time to find common ground then too accuse and bicker. Maybe there's hope for all of us yet.

• Non-Mormon Utahn
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:42 p.m.

Whoever responded to my comment made a good point. It is actually very nice to see so many friendly comments even from those who didn't agree with him. It just sickened me to see some people actually happy about someone's death.

I did read the comments from Romney, Bennett, and Hatch. Romney and Hatch seemed genuinely saddened while Bennett apparently didn't do much work with Kennedy as his response seemed like a boilerplate response.

It's difficult for me to tell if Utah really appreciates diversity based on my experiences and because of hateful comments I read in forums like this and what I hear from people I work with. I'm glad that you are open and welcoming to diversity.

I live in Eagle Mountain which is virtually all LDS. My neighbors assume I'm Mormon but when they find out otherwise, they don't talk to me anymore aside from an occasional "hi". One of them gave me a Book of Mormon.

• mark
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:42 p.m.

God bless you and your family Sen. Kennedy.

• Bill
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:44 p.m.

As I stated earlier I don't agree with Ted Kennedy's politics. I would have voted against everytime if I live in Massachusettes and would do so if he was still running.

That said we are not his judge nor do we have the right to judge him. Sure he made his mistakes and he will answer for them just as each one of us will have to answer for ours.

I'm LDS and a Republican. Still if I would have been in the Senate and tried to get through certain legislation I know that the first person I would try to understand my point of view would have been Ted Kennedy. Why, because without him I probably couldn't get it passed without a partisan vote. Getting Ted Kennedy to side with you all but guaranteed passage of the bill. Regardless of his mistakes, regardless of his life style and definitely regardless of his party affiliation I feel he man deserves our respect and our condolences to his family.

We as an American People are better for him and those who serve our country. I never felt him as an enemy just as a man.

• Larsen
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:47 p.m.

Progressive 12:02 said, "I've lived in many palces (you mean places, right?) and a number of countries, Utah is an embarassment and the most uncivilized place I've ever lived in the world. Just be thankful it's irrelevant."

I'm curious to know, where exactly have you lived in the world, and where in Utah do you live right now? Tooele? Beaver? Millard County?

And if Utah is so "irrelevant," how come website after website is calling for a boycott of Utah, because of Prop 8? How come our economy is continuing to stay above average? How come I just met a family the other day from Israel who came to see Zions and Arches National Park? And how come prominent Utahns like Jon Huntsman are being named to national and international government assignments?

Oh and don't forget that whole Winter Olympics thing back in 2002, along with the nationally acclaimed work going on at the U of U and BYU in the fields of medicine, enginerring and space exploration.

I wish to send my best wishes to the entire Kennedy family at this time.

• This guy.....
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:50 p.m.

Spent his entire life using the tax code to empower himself. And people thank him for his "dedicated service?"

He is the poster boy for term limits.

For a guy who wanted government healthcare for all, it seems a little strange he didn't travel to Canada or Cuba to access their superior healthcare system.

• Cant wait
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:03 p.m.

All the hypocrites here who are demonizing Sen Kennedy will be absolutely furious when Sen Hatch dies and people speak ill of him, or any other conservative that they love but is not liked by moderates or the left. They will demand that the comments be respectful. Why? Your not, why should we be respectful of your icons when your not of ours? Please remember that. You wont, but I do hope.

• @To Clark
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:08 p.m.

Lets put it this way, it was right around the time that Kennedy became a senetor

• hornets nest
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:27 p.m.

You people are ALL nuts.

Who really cares?

Go get a life!

• my slc
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:32 p.m.

To Clark:

When did Utah last have a Dem. Gov or Senator?

I can't say that things were bad for Utah when Gov. Scott Matheson or Sen. Frank Moss were in office. (Jim Matheson is a Representative, not senator).

Gunn McKay was also a great Representative.

Btw: Utah last voted for Dem. Pres for Johnson after JFK assignation.

SLC / County voted for Obama in 2008.

• Say hello to Mary Jo Kopechne
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:33 p.m.

It will be a nice reunion. Rest well.

• sad passing but misguided man
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:39 p.m.

Ted Kennedy's passing was sad for his family and proper respect should be paid. However, I can't think of ANYTHING I actually agreed with that Kennedy did over the years. His policies and his ultra liberal agenda were FAR from good for the country. In fact I would say Ted Kennedy was a force for wrong more than a force for good. His older brother and president (John) and his other brother (Bobbie) were much more moderate and centrist than Teddy. Teddy was off the charts liberal in most cases and was simply wrong on most everything he spoke out on. He did pass some policy which was good but by far the bulk of the work from the "Lion of the Senate" was harmful to America as a whole.

• sad passing but glad he is gone
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:41 p.m.

sad day for his family but as a leader I am glad the ole Lion is gone!!

• lost in DC
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:41 p.m.

I wonder what he said to Mary Jo Kopechne if he met her on the other side.

• Brothers and Sisters
    Aug. 26, 2009 2:01 p.m.

I want to urge my fellow brothers and sisters of the LDS Church to please be sensitive and kind and respectful towards the Kennedys during this very sad time. Let's not forget how his brother John F. Kennedy spoke in the Mormon Tabernacle on Temple Square on September 26, 1963. I would ask that you respect the Kennedy family the way the Kennedy's have respected the families of fallen LDS Prophets including Gordon B. Hinckley. Please brothers and sisters. Try to be kind just this one day.

• KJB
    Aug. 26, 2009 2:03 p.m.

It's too bad that Kennedy wasn't a seminary teacher who had sex with a minor. These boards would be much kinder to him if he did...

Rest in peace, Senator.

• whatabunchofweasels
    Aug. 26, 2009 2:03 p.m.

Kennedy got paid for his service? Yeah, a 170 grand a year and what could he have made by not being in the senate? You gotta be kidding me - to say he made no sacrifice is a bunch of bs. He could have resigned his senate seat a quarter of a century ago and sat on the boards of 10 corporations at $2 million apiece per year. I couldn't have disagreed with him more on public policy but to trash a guy the day he dies is the lowest form of cowardice. You weasels would have drug him out of his house and tarred and feathered him if you could have gotten away with it. If you disagree with his policy, say so, but when you start making calls as to his place in heaven or hell you know you put yourself in a seat that you are way underqualified to sit in.

• He will be missed
    Aug. 26, 2009 2:16 p.m.

Senator Kennedy always worked for the good of the "little guy" and, in doing so, spent over 40 years atoning for his actions at Chappaquidick. His work in the Senate was ALWAYS for the good of the country and its people, and was infinitely better than those seeking to block and bad-mouth his efforts. He will be missed.

• lets start over
    Aug. 26, 2009 2:29 p.m.

For the first time in my life I can honestly say that I wish many other members of the House and Senate would follow his example

• Clark
    Aug. 26, 2009 3:12 p.m.

To those who believe this kind of thinking, I wish to point out there are MANY websites and blogs aimed at attacking LDS Church members and leaders, and that many of these are filled with language which would make a sailor blush. Should I assume by these websites and blogs that MOST if not ALL Utahns outside of the LDS Church hold similar hateful and bigoted views of LDS people and leaders?

If someone writes a disgusting on-line comment about Thomas S. Monson, the Salt Lake Temple, BYU students or LDS women in general, would I be correct in assuming ALL individuals who are friends, co-workers and neighbors of this person hold the same views?

We MUST be respectful of Senator Kennedy and his family at this time. I don't like reading some of the dirt being thrown around. By respect and understanding of others is NOT a one-way street.

Aug. 26, 2009 3:23 p.m.

Just drove by the Capitol in SLC, the flag was at half-mast. I know that Pres. Obama requested that. Just proud that Utah did what was right.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 3:52 p.m.

"So let me get this straight. Because there are pockets of LDS people who jump on-line and rip on Democrats like Ted Kennedy, that makes ALL LDS people judgemental, which in turn makes Utah a TERRIBLE place to live?"

No, Clark.

It's the sum of about a year's reading on a variety of topics of which this latest is altogether typical and predictable.

• Hatch loves government
    Aug. 26, 2009 3:54 p.m.

I was sick to hear Sen. Hatch on radio today speak how he is such a conservative and Kennedy such a liberal and "that they could get along." No, you both are liberals. Hatch is only conservative when in Utah or on Utah radio. Hatch has lived off government salary and pension since 1976 and yet he is against "all these programs that the Kennedys championed." If Sen. Hatch is against so much government involvement, WHAT IS HE DOING IN WASHINGTON DC??????? He collects a paycheck and doesn't think the government should do anything.

• wow....
    Aug. 26, 2009 4:47 p.m.

Some of you people are really sad....Would you insult a brother the day after he died? Even if you viewed him to be "immoral", would you abuse his name and his life publicly the very next day? Just because the man was a public figure doesn't justify your abuses now that he's dead...

• hoodoo1
    Aug. 26, 2009 4:50 p.m.

Sorry at the passing of any person, tho, he is probably better off, considering his illness.
    Just read his bio about his early life: cheating, lying,school expulsions, etc--then make your own judgments. I personally think any person in the Senate more than 2 or 3 terms has been there too long. Fresh blood, fresh thinking, fresh ideas: no political alliances, no tainting of clear thinking.
    Hatch & Bennett take note

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 5:48 p.m.

Some of you people are really, really harsh in your comments about Kennedy.

The man had his flaws. But, you don't have to agree with his politics to admire his dedication and loyalty to our great country.

I think some of your right wing heroes are completely wrong in their thinking and politics but I can at least respect their commitment to democracy and doing what they feel is best for the country.

• Lion of senate???
    Aug. 26, 2009 5:50 p.m.

Yeah, he was a lion alright - and we were his prey as he would chew us up & spit us out! Whatever Ted Kennedy did was for Ted Kennedy.

I can't honestly say that I am sad because he was not one of my favorite people. He did several things that I did not agree with, but I do understand that he had a family & I am sorry for them, but I am not sorry for our country....I do not feel that he "was the best Senator that we have ever had" as the news people are reporting. The praise that they are giving him I do not feel he deserves. I hope Mass. can get an honest (pushing it, I know) Senator that will follow the Constitution, not one that will change it & make up laws that go against what our forefathers wanted.

I really to not think he deserves the "praise" that he is getting because I think he was about the most socialist-thinking Senator that we ever had.

I am sorry, but I do not shed any tears for him. I do not think he deserves the praise he is receiving.

• Anonymous @8:49 am
    Aug. 26, 2009 5:54 p.m.

"Less respect for Utahns & Mormons...."

What makes you think that just because the DN is a Mormon publication that it is only Mormons or Utahans (the correct spelling)? Believe it or not, we are NOT all Mormons or Utahans! Shame on you! "Judge Not that ye be not judged!"

• Clark @ 10:51 am
    Aug. 26, 2009 5:56 p.m.

"it's obvious that LDS people dislike diversity of any kind....."

Huh????? You cannot judge a whole church because of a handful of the people that belong to it! EVERY church has it's bad apples & problems, no church is immune from it. Diversity works both ways, Clark.

• Clark @ 10:51 am
    Aug. 26, 2009 5:57 p.m.

Thanks for the excellent response to "to some of you @ 9:53 am! Couldn't have said it any better!

• to whatabunchofweasels 2:03
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:13 p.m.

I guess the truth hurts. This isn't anything new! There have ALWAYS been disagreements about Ted Kennedy! Now he died, and the people are just stating the truth....what about when President Hinckley died? The protestors all around the conference center saying he was going to burn in hell! Sorry sir or madame, that in my book is very disrespectful. Were they qualified to state that? So WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

• A Very Sad Legacy
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:57 p.m.

I am sorry for his family, but I cannot say that I will cry for his passing. His death marks the end of an era and provides a time of reflection about what America's political leaders should be standing for regarding family, human sexuality, and parents' rights and most of all upholding the great Constitution of our country. Kennedy's showed efforts to improve education and help the uninsured and the poor, but he neglected to acknowlege his Catholic roots by protecting the rights of unborn children. He was a champion for abortion, later on a champion for same-sex 'marriage' and the pushing of the homosexual agenda in our public schools. I will always remember him for Chappaquiddick. That's a very sad legacy.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 7:59 p.m.

What is wrong with you horrible people?

• Neil
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:41 p.m.

According to the news Kennedy did a remarkable deed. An infant in Russia needed medical care that was unavailable in her country. Somehow Senator Kennedy knew about it and arranged for her to come to the United States. She is now 30 and a beautiful women living in NYC. Without Kennedy's intervention she would have died as in infant in Russia. Always try to look for the good in people and forgive faults.

• newbie
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:36 p.m.

God Bless MaryJo!

• Lion of the Senate defence
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:56 p.m.

So I gave my comment not defending Kennedy's beliefs and EVEN stated that I disagreed with him. I stated simply that we can be respectful and that these forums often bring out the worst in people, including LDS members, and that it ought not be that way. I also stated that many members would act differently depending on who 'may be watching' even though according to our beliefs they ARE being watched.

I said this to pay respect to a politician who served the country.

NOW to my REAL defense. I did not state political party and your assumption of my political stance is also wrong. I am a republican and furthermore his close friend was ALSO a republican. His name is Orrin Hatch. See there are intelligent republicans and those who just sound incompetent. Sarah Palin at very least- gives off an impression of incomptetance for the republican party which is such a shame as being Republican, Christian, or Conservative should not be views as ignorant as there are many intelligent 'thinkers' in the GOP which are getting ignored because of the short sighted comments like at least one made against mine. (And all incorrectly..gee golly)

• Re to Neil@8:41 p.m.
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:36 p.m.

I agree, we should look for good and forgive faults. What I find a "remarkable deed" is that Kennedy, 30 yrs ago' had sense enough to realize that the USA had the best health care in the world that could care for the Russian infant and give her 30 yrs and the priviledge to live here in the USA. What I fail to see is where the health care has declined in the past 30 yrs? But yet Kennedy was out in front on wanting to make us a nation where this little infant was 30 yrs ago in terms of medical care! Hopefully there are leaders out there today, like Kennedy was 30 yrs ago, that still believe's in the greatest health care in the world where anyone can come and truly recieve a "remarkable deed" that socialized medicine, seldom or even, can provide! God bless Ted and his family! But God bless us all if we let government run our health care! I know!! I had to come from Australia to experience the same "remakable deed", America's current health care provides! Again, God bless Mr. Kennedy and his family!

• principles and values
    Aug. 26, 2009 11:31 p.m.

I am ashamed and embarrassed to read some of the hateful comments about a man who served his country. One may disagree with Ted Kennedy's politics, but he served in the military, served his community, and his three brothers were killed while serving our country. I am conservative and LDS, and for those with hatred for a man who just passed on, you do not share my principles and values.

• In All Honesty...
    Aug. 27, 2009 10:34 a.m.

We are only human. We have a tendency to judge when we shouldn't. I feel that some of the remarks made here are emotional as we have watched our country slowly be destroyed by those who have swore to uphold the constitution! Mr. Kennedy had become one of the most "socialist" Senators that we have ever had! He wanted complete control of the people, just look at his voting record, it doesn't lie! I can totally understand everyones frustrations & inability to show any sympathy at his passing, yet I understand that we must also try harder to be more Christ-like & show compassion. I didn't really like the man, but I am sympathetic to the situation.

• Lance
    Aug. 28, 2009 6:48 p.m.

After reading and hearing all the horrible comments by my fellow LDS and Utahns, I am ashamed.

I would rather go to hell with Ted Kennedy than to heaven with all the heartless, self-righteous hypocrites any day!

• Anonymous
    Aug. 29, 2009 3:03 p.m.

Amen, Lance.

• Expectations Met
    Aug. 30, 2009 8:38 a.m.

Just dropped in to see what the readers of the D.N. would be saying about this defender of the disenfranchised.

Yep, as usual, my expectations were met with another dose of nasty mean spirited blather.

Thanks to "Principles & Values" and "Lance", maybe some of these readers actually have a heart and some measure of compassion?

• Anonymous
    Aug. 30, 2009 2:58 p.m.

For all the good he did, it is still such a sad story about Mary Jo who might have been saved if someone had gotten there quickly and she wouldn't have had to suffer. He no doubt was intoxicated and certainly disoriented...and worried about political things...it is just really unfortunate.

• Lance@6:48 pm 8 28 09
    Aug. 31, 2009 6:57 p.m.

Too bad you feel that way, oh, everyone else is just expressing their FEELINGS! What makes you think that everyone posting here is LDS or Utahans? Who's judging now? BYW, I live in Idaho. Are you active in the LDS church? I have found some that post are not active & try to get a "rise" out of those that are. Don't you think that Ted Kennedy was a hypocrite? You need to look at how he voted & then make your statement. Some of us DO follow what Congress is doing & he, Sir, was a hypocrite with a capital H! Don't accuse or JUDGE when you don't know anything about the people that are posting! There is a lot of anger because Kennedy was leading this country down the road to SOCIALISM!! Again, check his voting record, it is public knowledge!

Tell Teddy hello when you get there.