BYU football: Linebacker crew deep, experienced

Comments

• and SLOW
    Aug. 13, 2009 12:25 a.m.

• The Y
    Aug. 13, 2009 12:47 a.m.

Regardless I still miss Kehl and Poppinga.

• Recruit
    Aug. 13, 2009 7:27 a.m.

Cougs got Drew Phillips from AL! The kid was wanted by a ton of D1 programs! Oh and U wanted him too. boo hoo for U.

"The 6-foot, 174-pound Phillips also received scholarship offers from Wyoming, Idaho, SMU, Central Michigan, Louisiana Tech, Samford and Tennessee-Martin.

Other schools who expressed interest in him were Illinois, Louisville, Birmingham-Southern, Jacksonville State, Memphis, Central Florida, Mississippi State, Florida State, Stanford, North Alabama, UAB, Troy, Utah and The Citadel."

For the next 5 years (minimum) U will be looking up from their backsides after getting run over by the Cougs!

• Drew Phillips
    Aug. 13, 2009 7:45 a.m.

Yes, pretty scary picking up a two-star recruit who was offered scholarships by Wyoming, Central Michigan, SMU and Tennesee-Martin.

• Drew
    Aug. 13, 2009 8:47 a.m.

He was such a bad player that the u made an offer. The only offer that counts was his decision to go to the Y over the one at the u :)

• Drew offer
    Aug. 13, 2009 9:18 a.m.

There was no offer of a scholarship from the University of Utah. Check Rivals dot com. "Interest" can mean anything and usually that means the recruit has interest in the school not the other way around. So Drew had interest in Utah, Stanford et. al but these schools made him no offer so he had to settle for his second choice, BYU.

• What about...
    Aug. 13, 2009 9:18 a.m.

Remington Peck - I thought he would be starting for sure by now. He is much better than any linebacker that BYU has. He is thinking about going pro after his sophomore year.

• Rumor
    Aug. 13, 2009 10:13 a.m.

Jake Heaps will forego his senior season of high school and will start over Max Hall for the opener against OK.

• Phillips
    Aug. 13, 2009 10:13 a.m.

ESPN has him at a 3 star.
    Some evaluations are out-dated.
    He still has his senior season.
    Alabama was really interested in this guy -
    check all their blogs.

But the only stars that matter are the ones the Utes will be seeing after he runs them over.
    Harvey Unga, Malosi Teo, Drew Phillips and the #1 QB, I can see why little brother is lashing out.

• They SHOULD be
    Aug. 13, 2009 10:31 a.m.

They're all like 30 years old.
    Mike

• Ute fans
    Aug. 13, 2009 10:33 a.m.

I'm suprised you folks have enough time to post on here. What with all the gas you've got to pump.

• Re: Recruit
    Aug. 13, 2009 10:36 a.m.

Good job my friend! How is the pokemon game coming along? Have you caught them all yet? Who is your middle linebacker? Squirtle?

• Could start 0-3
    Aug. 13, 2009 10:46 a.m.

Okla., Tulane, Fla St.
    That's a tough start. They better be ready.
    They better score more than 40 points totla in those 3, and that could be a trick in itself.
    Fat Matt

• Anonymous
    Aug. 13, 2009 10:57 a.m.

Remington Peck is thinking about going pro after his sophomore year, and he has never started a game at BYU???? He better do some more thinking!!!!

• CBT
    Aug. 13, 2009 11:29 a.m.

I can wait wait to see Harvey Unga run over Stevenson Sylvester and the Utes all game long in November. I can just hear Sylvester now " I tot I thsaw a puddy-tat..." in the huddle all game long.

• RP
    Aug. 13, 2009 11:41 a.m.

RP has been re-rostered as a DE. There is more needed depth at DL than at LB right now.

The linebacker's will be way better as a unit this year. We were 10-3 last year with a poor defense, and with an improved defense that should make a big difference. I think we'll be quicker around the edges and bring more pressure to the QB. We will also be solid against the run again like we always have been (except for running QB's, but come on, every defense has a problem with those). I think we'll hold teams to an average of 125 rushing yards per game. That's not dominant but it's very solid.

• Utefan4ever
    Aug. 13, 2009 11:51 a.m.

I'm 29 years old, have lived at home since I got sent home from my mission early and work construction for my dad. All my money goes towards my new lifted truck that a park on the road in front of dad's house. I take a class or two a semester but never really finish them cause I change my mind on what I want to do. Now that I have proved I am the typical ute let me just say we were able to win without a qb last year so you know we are good. Are defense is fine without phillips.

• wst
    Aug. 13, 2009 12:34 p.m.

Tough start so far this year. Injuries to three starters and all the team has done is play tag.

They don't don pads until Thursday.

• Re: Utefan4ever | 11:51 a.m.
    Aug. 13, 2009 12:52 p.m.

That's more honorable than being 21 years old with 3 kids all of whom were born covered by insurance provided by the honest people of Utah. Mom never finished school because that's her husband's job so she is busing tables at the Heavenly Hamberger shop while dad is home in front of the computer on Deseret News sports boards.

Think about it...Zoobie!

Oh, and good luck without an offensive line and a defense that has not been able to stop pass plays for the last decade.

• To "Ute Fans"
    Aug. 13, 2009 12:55 p.m.

Where in this state is there a full serve gas station?
    Now be quiet and don't skimp on my pizza toppings.
    Mike

• Ute fan
    Aug. 13, 2009 1:11 p.m.

Can't wait until November when we carve up your defense. Nothing funnier than watching a bunch of slow white guys who can't defend anyone. Oh yeah, Max Hall is still throwing interceptions.

• BYU is soft
    Aug. 13, 2009 1:32 p.m.

Before Anyone calls me Ute fan, I graduated from BYU in 2001. I have lived in Utah county for 20+ years.
    But I am realistic.

It goes back to relying, in large part, on untested, unproven RMs. These kids haven't been hit, they have no idea what it's like out there.

I'll bet they get beat the first 3, then settle down a bit for conference play. But this group of Cougars sure gives me a .500 feeling.

S. Jensen.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 13, 2009 1:37 p.m.

First, look at the schedule.
    Ugly to start.
    Counting on even 2 wins there is a reach.
    Kicking might be the difference against Tulane

You have to be realistic, though.
    Only realists see the truth.
    Underdog is going to be a common BYU position.

• Pigster
    Aug. 13, 2009 1:55 p.m.

Reality Check : BYU will go 8-4 or 7-5 this season:

Hope they do better...but too many holes to fill to be able to win against good teams. Figure on losses against OK FSU TCU and one or two other teams. Not sure about the Utah game. Could go either way...as neither team is really that good.

• HOME vs. ROAD games
    Aug. 13, 2009 3:00 p.m.

BYU loses 4 games AT MOST this year!! Who is seriously worried about Tulane!?! Look em up. You might as well be scared of Wyoming or San Diego St.
    Nobody is talking schedule into account. TCU, Florida St. and Utah all come to Provo. When was the last time BYU lost there? 05? BYU's road schedule is CAKE!!! UNLV will be the tuffest. (Not counting OK on neutral site) I will be very surprised if BYU loses on the road. I don't see them droping 3 at home. so worse case senario, BYU is 8-4 and 3rd in MWC.
    I say 10-2 with losses to TCU and OK.

• matt
    Aug. 13, 2009 3:07 p.m.

I saw Ogletree play high school ball. The guy can flat out play ball. He'd kick Bauman's trash if they put him in at the #1 spot.

• Max Hall
    Aug. 13, 2009 3:43 p.m.

Maxie got his knee tweaked today by friendly fire. What happens to the Cougar season when OU knocks him out for the season? 5-7??

• Peck
    Aug. 13, 2009 3:50 p.m.

First off he might be thinking about it but he cant do it seeing how you have to be a Junior to go pro. Peck is nowhere near ready he wont even start this year and maybe even next year Van Noy and with Stout coming in he may not even start next year as well so this puts him at least 3 years until he starts. The guy if I was him would pissed Riley Nelson they recruit you while your on a mission and then get Heaps to come you know he is the future of the program being Heaps. Man that is almost laughable Peck going pro.Richard Wilson will start before Peck.

• "They should be..."
    Aug. 13, 2009 9:25 p.m.

Check your stats. The average age of the Utes is nearly equal to the Cougs. Obviously, the Utes are up against the same hurdle when it comes to time off to serve a mission. Don't think I'd be making too much fuss about that considering you are there too.

• Careful Utes...
    Aug. 14, 2009 6:59 a.m.

After hearing Monson and Graham's assessment of Utah's QB situation yesterday, I'd be more concerned about your Utes...Better watch out for UNLV (remember 27-0 2 years ago)? Eugene Oregon is going to be an ugly experience, as will Ft. Worth, TX and Provo, UT.
    Your Utes will be back to their usual 7-5 selves again, playin in the New Mexico Bowl. Brush off your Sugar Bowl tapes, and bawl yourselves to sleep!

• To Pigster
    Aug. 14, 2009 7:44 a.m.

Don't worry about BYU's supposed holes to fill, pay attention to your Utes and theirs...such as your start QB's...when none of them can step up and make name to lead the revamped Ute offense...not to mention a totally new coaching staff...my predition: BYU 10-2, Utah 8-4...sorry but true.

• To Anon at 1:37
    Aug. 14, 2009 10:25 a.m.

Very slick message, Bud. I wonder if anyone else caught it?
    Alan