BYU football: 15,000 BYU fans headed to Dallas for 1st game

Comments

• TxCougar
    Aug. 1, 2009 10:53 p.m.

Mr. Scoresby,
    If you're related to somebody in Highland, Utah . . . We need to talk and I can help you lower
    the expenses some! This could be a great trip for you. Way to chase the fun times ! ! ! !

• Japan
    Aug. 1, 2009 10:55 p.m.

If I didn't live in Japan, I'd be there. I hope that lots of cougar fans will go. I'll be watching you all on TV!!!

• Can't Wait
    Aug. 1, 2009 11:08 p.m.

See you guys there!!!!

Aug. 1, 2009 11:22 p.m.

The myth of BYU fans not spending money is just that...a myth. Propagated by the media and yewt fans.

The cougars bring a crowd wherever they go. I can't count the number of "away" games where we outnumber the home crowd.

Should be a great game. Go cougs!

Aug. 1, 2009 11:34 p.m.

I hope the Cougars hand it to Oklahoma. It would be a great win for them, and for the Mt. West. Go Cougars

• Matt in Houston
    Aug. 1, 2009 11:56 p.m.

There are going to be 20,000+. There were about 15,000 at TCU in 2006 and I would say the buzz and commitment from those I know in Texas and otherwise are higher than that TCU game. The BYU fans will certainly be outnumbered, but there will be plenty of us. It'll be intesting to see the interaction between the fanbases, because OU fans can become, at time, shall we say, interesting.

GOOOOOOOOOO COUGARS!

• Hero of Canton
    Aug. 2, 2009 12:00 a.m.

Misery loves company...

• SJ Bobkins
    Aug. 2, 2009 12:01 a.m.

I'm not too sure how the numbers crunch at the end of the day, but 11 of us from Gilbert, AZ will be in Dallas to see our Coug's play with tickets not purchased from the university. If the university sold 15,000, one would think that another 2-3,000 could have been purchased through the Cowboys, and other ticket outlets not reporting to BYU. Dallas may be lucky again, recalling the Kansas State- BYU, New Years Day match in 1997. 23 of us from Gilbert sat will the Wildcat fans, who weren't all that nice or willing to give BYU any credit. With BYU up by 2 TD's a seatmate offered me 3-1 odds on KSU, beliveing his team would roar back and bury the Cougars. After #1, ended any threat, it was very quiet in our section.

Aug. 2, 2009 12:38 a.m.

i hope the cougs can play respectably. they tend to really stink it up against tough opponents. Follow the yewts example against the tide and take the sooners to the woodshed.

• SeattleCoug
    Aug. 2, 2009 12:41 a.m.

I'm traveling to the game from Seattle, WA. I'll sit side-by-side at the game with my brother who is attending from Tampa, FL. This game is as big as any bowl game the Cougars have played in and ranks right up there with games against opponents like Pitt, Miami, and Texas A&M from the past. It should be a blast! What a great schedule! Follow it up with games against Florida St., TCU, and Utah in Provo - it might be the best and most interesting schedule the Cougars have played.

I'm looking forward to future schedules that include home-and-home series against Northwest opponents Boise St. and Washington.

Nothing wrong with playing against the "big boys" of college football even if you are considered the underdog. The MWC teams were impressive against non-conference foes last year that included Michigan, Alabama, and a big chunk of the PAC-10.

• Bet there are closer to 30K
    Aug. 2, 2009 12:49 a.m.

BYU fans in Dallas in September. No matter where they play, they always draw a crowd of local LDS and BYU fans. As SJ described we will never forget the sea of K-State purple going into the Cotton bowl where they outnumbered us by 2-1. BYU fans love their Cougs and support them wherever they go.

By the way our order for five Club level tickets was never filled and we are still desparately looking for at least one or two tix to the game.

Steve C

• I hate the Y
    Aug. 2, 2009 1:16 a.m.

But I really want to see OU go down and boost the credibility of the Mountain West / crush the BCS.

Go Cougs (gulp!)

• Dave
    Aug. 2, 2009 1:18 a.m.

I predict there will be 20,000 disappointed Zoobies at this game. I can't believe you actually think you stand a chance against a BCS worthy opponent like Oklahoma.

• Dave you're a clown
    Aug. 2, 2009 1:33 a.m.

I know you can get some fans to Arizona but don't even pretend you've got a travelling fanbase as strong as ours. Go BYU.

• Dave
    Aug. 2, 2009 1:55 a.m.

How many fans are actually traveling from Utah and how many live in TX? I'm pretty sure it's probably three or four to one on the TX side so don't pretend to think you have a traveling fan base from Provo or from the State of Utah for that matter.

You my friend are the Clown!!

• GO BYU
    Aug. 2, 2009 2:39 a.m.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE BYU WIN... BUT REALISTICALLY SPEAKING, OU IS A POWERHOUSE. GOOD LUCK TEAM! YOU'LL NEED IT, ALONG WITH 50 POINTS TO KEEP PACE. HOWEVER, I DO BELEIVE IN MIRACLES TOO...

WIN OR LOSE, I'LL BE ROOTING FOR THE COUGS!

• St Denis
    Aug. 2, 2009 2:52 a.m.

Even the most ardent narrow-minded vindictive Utah fan must realize the importance of this game and be rooting for the Cougars to win. At the end of the season they could then say, "We beat the team that beat Oklahoma," or "We only lost to the team that beat nationally-ranked Oklahoma." It heightens the prestige of the conference and both BYU & UofU. If you can't see that, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Y
    Aug. 2, 2009 4:17 a.m.

Y 50, OU 10

• MizzouBlue
    Aug. 2, 2009 5:48 a.m.

Go Cougs. We'll be there rooting for you. Hope Hall is ready, because our success will depend on him seeing the entire field & not becoming so predictable as he was toward the end of last year.

• S2
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:20 a.m.

C'mon, clowns are funny. Dave's just a blind hater....

• Matt
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:23 a.m.

Hey Dave, Jan. 1 2007 Fiesta Bowl. Shows that everyone has a worthy chance

• BCS Game
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:24 a.m.

Can you blame the BYU fans from being giddy?!? This is the closet they have gotten to a BIG game since 1996.

Vegas postseason beat-down form a mid PAC-10 team
    vs
    Dallas preseason thrashing from #5 OU

At least their fans can enjoy getting smacked around by a ranked team in Dallas on national TV.

• RE: Dave you're a clown
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:30 a.m.

Dave you're a clown | 1:33 a.m. Aug. 2, 2009

--------------------

I guess reading isn't your forte becasue David said nothing about your traveling fan base except he predicted a NIL chance of BYU winning OU.

• Go Cougs
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:43 a.m.

BYU will win this game. It will be another Miami type of game and OU is over looking and under training for the cougars.

• Humpty Dumpty
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:54 a.m.

Look, I'm not a cougar fan, so that said, it cracks me up to see people posting stuff like "y 50, ou 10". I personally think byu is in for a tough game, and if it turns into a blow-out, my guess is that byu won't be on the winning end of it. As for the guy who said ou is overlooking the cougs, how do you know? Have you been inside the locker room at ou and heard them saying stuff? Have there been articles in the newspapers with quotes from ou players and coaches? Or are you just making stuff up? Yeah, that's what I thought.

• oh my
    Aug. 2, 2009 7:00 a.m.

byu doesn't have a chance. save your money and buy a flatscreen tv.

• liberal larry
    Aug. 2, 2009 7:25 a.m.

Let's see 15,000 BYU fans, 10 people per mini van, sleeping on their Aunt Wilma's fold out couch, and taking the gang to Arbys for dinner. I hope Texas is ready for the huge financial bonanza this will create!

• OK?
    Aug. 2, 2009 7:49 a.m.

Not sure how our fan base expects our DB's to slow down OU's offense. Bradford will feel like he is facing his scout team's defensive backfield. Great way for Bradford to kick off his heisman run for 2009. I love BYU, but c'mon folks.

Logic says OU 48- BYU21 & Bradford throws for 400 yards.

As for miracles? They do happen. Lets hope OU turns the ball over 6 times. But, the better team is OU by far.

• aja rizona
    Aug. 2, 2009 7:49 a.m.

BYU may or may not win. They would have to have a Detmer vs. Miami performance to even stay close. Let's wish them well. For the Conference's sake.

Having said that, isn't it interesting that BYU was invited, by ESPN, to play Oklahoma?

Just as the first College game ever televised on ESPN included BYU, so will the first game ever in the new Cowboy stadium include BYU, Why?

Because BYU gets ratings. They are not Notre Dame, of course, but they are a "National Team" with a National following. I think ESPN misses not having BYU on 3 or 4 times a year.

I would like to see the next TV deal with the Mountain, have a clause, whereby, any league school can choose 2 or 3 games a year and then be free to negotiate independently, on their own, with another Network.

Unless Comcast, (which owns one half of the Mountain) offers the Mountain to the "Entire Country" on their own network, this should be demanded by the MWC. Also, CBS should pick up at least 2 or 3 National Network games.

Unfortunately, the Mountain is not even owned by the MWC. Big mistake!

Aug. 2, 2009 8:07 a.m.

Don't feed the troll. Dave, doesn't your team have anything going on where you can worry about your own team instead?
    Who's your QB this year? Not sure? That doesn't sound very promising.... Do you think King Louie will be as good this year? Oh wait! He's gone!? That doesn't sound good....
    Go ahead and cheer against BYU when we play OU. That's fine. Myself and the REST of the MWC fans will be cheering like crazy for them.
    And of cousre, BYU will have the last laugh anyways when they pulverize the Utes in November.

• Re: Liberal Larry
    Aug. 2, 2009 8:32 a.m.

That is one of the funniest comments I have seen posted in a long time... Ha ha ha ha ha

• It's gonna be
    Aug. 2, 2009 8:41 a.m.

a long drive home.

• North Texan
    Aug. 2, 2009 8:45 a.m.

I would point out two obvious things. First, the game will be in Arlington. I would encourage those coming to stay in the Fort Worth/Arlington area. Much more fun. Second, OU will likely be ranked number 1 in the nation going into this game.
    GO COUGARS! It will not be like the Christians in the Roman Coliseum.

• Taj Mahal
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:05 a.m.

The OU/BYU game is all about Jerry Jones/Cowboys/his facility. It will be an affair to remember. I am an ardent BYU fan. I do hope for the best, but this game will undoubtably be one sided for OU. They will have the speed and the fact that it is the first game of the season, BYU will not be as game ready as they will be later. Hopefully they will get out of town with a minimum of body bags and use up the clock with a game stragegy of ball possession. A shoot out will not be pretty. BYU need to maintain their composure and not do crazy things to turn the ball over. On paper they are serious underdogs....no doubt about it. I had to change my TV package to DirectTV to get the mountain,.....which I'm glad I did. I don't know how serious football fans without satellite providers can exist in this market.

Cougars....I hope you can get a win vs the Sooners. Best of luck.

• Excited
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:10 a.m.

We are excited to host two families in our home during the game. Our stake is hosting more than 50 different families from all over the country to participate in the festivities. Go Cougars!

• Hey Dave!
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:13 a.m.

I am not a TX resident, nor have I ever been to Texas. I live in Logan, UT and I am travelling to my third road-game experience watching the Cougs. Of course most of the BYU fans in attendance will be from TX. That's kinda the point with a good travelling team - they have fans wherever they play.

• Re: Anonymous
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:15 a.m.

I seriously doubt the rest of the MWC fans will be rooting for your Zoobs. It doesn't matter anyway because you don't stand a chance. Let's be realistic here shall we?

If you can keep the game within 21 to 28 points you have done a decent job. Sam Bradford is gunning for a Heisman Trophy this year and you will be his first victim.

By the way the Utes are still laughing from last year's game and will again this year.

• Ute Fans Don't Get It
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:26 a.m.

Why all the comments from Ute fans that BYU should save their money and stay home from this game because the Cougars are sure to lose? Don't they understand that BYU fans love BYU football, win or lose? I guess not because the UofU fans can't even fill RES on a regular basis, no matter how the team is doing.

Would I like to see BYU beat Oklahoma? Sure. However, even if they lose, I will still be a BYU fan and I will still watch every single game they play this year. And, at the end of the season, I will still a BYU fan, no matter what the season record is.

The only UofU game I will watch (like a lot of UofU "fans") will be when they play BYU.

Go Cougars!

• BYU
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:27 a.m.

Is going to get slaughtered! Save your money.

• DieHardCougar
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:29 a.m.

Ahhh, the smell of college football is in the air! Fall camp starts in less than a week, College Football Live is on everyday at 1:30 on ESPN, and I'm counting down to an absolutely amazing season opener! My family and I will be driving over 1500 miles to Arlington, TX where we will be among the first 80,000 fans to enjoy the new Dallas Cowboys venue. Whether BYU wins or not isn't the point when you have an opportunity to go to a game like this. The real point? BYU is one of two teams to first play in this amazing stadium, the opponent last played in the BCS championship game, they will likely be ranked #3 or better, and BYU has some players that can do some serious damage on the field. If BYU wins the game...well that's just icing on the cake.
    Can't wait for Sept. 5th!!!

• Re; a long drive home
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:33 a.m.

A very long drive,This will be an historical loss,62-10

• Myth Buster
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:38 a.m.

BYU fans don't spend. BYU teams don't play well against tough opponents. BYU players are all 28 years old. All of these statements are obviously false. And yet we hear them over and over and over again.

• C'mon
    Aug. 2, 2009 10:04 a.m.

I'm a BYU fan, but I'm also a college football fan who now lives outside Utah and sees real college football during the season on a weekly basis. It's great to support the Cougs, but pretending that BYU is going to win this game, let alone in a blow-out, makes us look like real hicks. Try to follow what coaches and players say about their opponents: OK is a talented team, and they are very tough, etc.... In order to be in the game, we need to play a perfect game, blah, blah, blah.

• BYU 94 OU 15
    Aug. 2, 2009 10:08 a.m.

As long as we're doing fantasy predictions, reckoned I'd throw out my own.

• Spotlight
    Aug. 2, 2009 10:25 a.m.

Cougars have had forever to get ready for this game. IF it is a blowout it will be on the coaches. I will be watching.

• Utah
    Aug. 2, 2009 10:32 a.m.

• Eugene
    Aug. 2, 2009 10:41 a.m.

Why all the negative Ute fans on this post? Maybe because BYU was invited to play Oklahoma and not Utah?

Like me, BYU fans always cheer for the Utes when they are not playing the Y. Many Ute fans denegrate the Cougs no matter who the Y is playing. Seems like it might be a matter of class.

While OK is going to be a big, tough game, I'm hoping for the miracle. I'll be in Dallas to see the miracle first hand. The Cougs need OK to turn over the ball at least 4 times and then capitalize on the mistakes like they did against UCLA. While this won't be a 59-0 romp like UCLA, if the miracle happens I predicit a 31-24 BYU win.

Goliath does has a weak spot so aim between the eyes and unleash the stone!

• payback time...
    Aug. 2, 2009 10:41 a.m.

It's time for BYU to partially pay back Utah for all the attention the Utes have brought to the MWC. A Cougar win will help solidify the MWC's rightful place among the automatic BCS qualifiers.
    Don't drop the ball (figuratively and literally) on this one cougars. National TV, Top 5 Opponent, Neutral (well, almost neutral) field.

• An LDS Sooner
    Aug. 2, 2009 11:24 a.m.

I may be rooting for my Sooners, but I'm thrilled to see how excited BYU fans are about this game. A new baby prevents me from making the trip south, have a great time in the Big D. I wish I could join you there.

• Grow UP YEWTS
    Aug. 2, 2009 11:37 a.m.

• JD
    Aug. 2, 2009 11:48 a.m.

The truth is..... BYU couldn't beat Arizona with a senior laden very experienced offensive line. How in the world do some of you think you can beat the Sooners with FOUR new offensive lineman? My predicition is HALL is hurt by the second quarter from all the sacks. This is a great opportunity, but reality is that this game is going to cost BYU more than just one game.

• GK from England
    Aug. 2, 2009 11:56 a.m.

It's not just a national fanbase that BYU have...it's an INTERNATIONAL FANBASE that are loyal to them. The YEWTS cannot command such loyalty!!!

• AccraUte
    Aug. 2, 2009 12:21 p.m.

Given BYU's history against ranked teams, I'm impressed with the enthusiasm the fans are showing for this game. Good luck. Though it is painful for me to root for the blue, I'll be pulling for them this time. Kick some butt and don't disappoint 11 million MWC fans.

• Don't miss it
    Aug. 2, 2009 12:22 p.m.

As a Ute fan who attended the Sugar Bowl I wanted to call out the BYU fans who aren't planning on going to this game. Rethink that decision. This is a huge game for BYU and having had a big-game experience live, there's nothing like it. You won't regret it.

Aug. 2, 2009 12:25 p.m.

i take more pleasure in watching byu lose then i do in watching utah win.

• ajwwja
    Aug. 2, 2009 12:26 p.m.

im a Ute fan and im trying to go to this game its goin to be HUGE for the MT. WEST if BYU can win and to just be in the new Cowboys field i cant wait

and as for a blow out i dont think so BYU can score with the best of them so i think its goin to be a high scoring game and a fun one to watch

• jim, cedar city
    Aug. 2, 2009 12:53 p.m.

BYU win's, not going to happen? OU blow's out toothless cougars, maybe? These are question's that will be answered on the 5th of September. Win or lose life goes on for the Cougar Nation. It is not life or death but a game. Seems like we treat it that way as we go through certain phases in our lives. We are here to learn and grow just as these young men (28 years old) learn during practice and game situation's. Much like our practice and game situation's as we grow into adulthood and we continue to progress to reach the highest in us. Sometimes we don't always reach the mark, but that's why we are here and keep trying day in and day out. I'll be cheering for my Coug's that day in Texas, for the upset. The odds are against them. They know that and Oklahoma knows that. Let the pigskin fly and hope its a close one.

• Searce
    Aug. 2, 2009 1:02 p.m.

Anonymous 12:25 P.M.

Then you are not a true Ute fan - you are a BYU detractor. Why are you even on this site? Too bad you have such a negative attitude - try being positive for a change - you will learn to love life!

• utah fan
    Aug. 2, 2009 1:37 p.m.

i for one hate byu but i hate the current bcs system more, as a die hard ute i will be cheering for the Y to win, i hope they do and i hope everyone in the country is watching.

GO UTES, GO MTN WEST, AND GO cougs

UTAH 43 UTAH STATE 17

• Re: Grow Up Yewts
    Aug. 2, 2009 1:42 p.m.

First of all why do you spell Utes with a Y?
    (since you think that the Y is better, why would you want to spell Utes with a Y?)

Is there any point to cheering for the cougs?
    I mean if the local high school team were playing the New England Patriots, it wouldn't matter if the rival high school was cheering for the patriots, because the Patriots are going to win either way.
    Yes, it would make that high school look better if they beat the high school that beat the New England Patriots, but it doesn't matter because no high school team is going to beat the Patriots.

Same with the Cougs. Do you think a defense that gave up 31 points to Arizona (and didn't add anyone this year) is going to hold OU to less than 42?
    Do you think a defense (Oklahoma) that held the National Champion Gators to a season low 24 points is going to give up more points than that to the cougs, especially since that OU defense only lost 2 players?

Does it matter who I cheer for? because BYU will get blown out either way.

• An LDS Sooner
    Aug. 2, 2009 2:00 p.m.

Isn't that an OxiMormon?

• Re: Myth Buster
    Aug. 2, 2009 2:05 p.m.

"BYU doesn't play well against tough opponents."

Fact: BYU is TERRIBLE against tough opponents!

BYU has lost their last 12 games against ranked non-conference opponents, and they are just 2-15 against ranked teams since the MWC started.

Bust that myth!

Oklahoma - 55
    BYU - 9

p.s. Utah is 9-6 against ranked teams in that same time frame. Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

• Love the game
    Aug. 2, 2009 2:28 p.m.

Hey Liberal Larry, Arby’s doesn’t have a very good dollar or value menu. It’s Taco Bell and Macdonald’s for us.!!! But, we are going. You enjoy your red seats and root for your “home” team in front of the TV (you probable yell at FOX and KSL, too). We will be yelling at the refs like a good zoobie, and having a lot of fun no matter who wins!

GO COUGS!!!

• To All:
    Aug. 2, 2009 2:57 p.m.

This is as close as BYU will get to a BCS bowl. No wonder why they're so excited. Let them enjoy their early bowl game. Please, BYU, make it respectable.

• Lets just face it...
    Aug. 2, 2009 3:05 p.m.

BYU fans are the best!

• PurpleIdaho
    Aug. 2, 2009 3:07 p.m.

I drive down to SLC, as a Ute season-ticket holder. Utes are clutch. Cougs just don't have the system or personnel to be reliable when facing quality teams. My son is at the Y, so I kind of have a vague hope that the Y will, if nothing else, represent the MWC well. I just hope they don't horribly embarrass themselves, their punch-drunk fans, the state of Utah and the Intermountain West. But where my hope flickers, my expectation blazes the the Sooners will embarrass the boys from Provo.

• Hooray
    Aug. 2, 2009 3:08 p.m.

This will be a fun experience for all you BYU fans. For all of those in the story who think BYU is going to win, you are out of your mind and should not get your hopes up because it will just ruin your trip.

• Re: Grow Up Yewts 2
    Aug. 2, 2009 3:14 p.m.

If you are going to say Utes fans should grow up I suggest you grow up as well and spell it correctly. As a Ute fan I realize how important a game it is for the MWC. Hopefully BYU can best TCU's effort against OU last year.

Similar odd for BYU as there were for Utah beating the Tide so there is a chance!

• Hmmmm
    Aug. 2, 2009 3:17 p.m.

I live out of state now (OH) but like to keep up with the Sports sceen in Utah by reading these online. I just shared the part about the law student graduate that is paying $1500 to go despite being in debt and struggling finanacially. Her comment was "what an idiot". I responded, "what do you expect, he's from BYU". :-)

So much for heeding the prophets advice. Enjoy the game. I truly hope BYU crushes them for the sake of the Mtn West Conference and the national respect for our teams and conference.

Go Utes!!

Aug. 2, 2009 3:45 p.m.

Re: Its gonna be...

• Big Rock
    Aug. 2, 2009 3:47 p.m.

I hope Max doesn't throw it to the guys in red again this game.

• Non-Okie from Not-Muskogee
    Aug. 2, 2009 3:50 p.m.

And Jonny Harline is STILL open!!!

• Big Rock
    Aug. 2, 2009 4:12 p.m.

Paul Kruger is stilllll open!

• California Cougar
    Aug. 2, 2009 4:13 p.m.

Make that 15,001 BYU fans going. I got my tickets from Ticketmaster, not through the BYU ticket channels ... and I am sure there are many others like me. I bet 15,000 is an underestimated number of people that will be wearing blue there.

• Yewt Fans
    Aug. 2, 2009 5:02 p.m.

If yewt fans had any brains they would be cheering for a byu win, because it will be good for the conference if byu does win. Then again Yewt fans and brains just dont mix.

• UTE ALUM
    Aug. 2, 2009 5:18 p.m.

I hope the Cougars smash them Sooners like how them Utes smashed Alabama!!.....I just want all the conference teams to beat all the non conference opponents.....GOOOOOOOO UTES!!!!!!

• Anth
    Aug. 2, 2009 5:44 p.m.

Oklahoma 72 BYU 14! Have fun Y fans. I'm sure the stadium will be cool.

Aug. 2, 2009 5:45 p.m.

The yewts on here once again show that there are no real yewt fans, just BYU haters.

Aug. 2, 2009 5:48 p.m.

Let Cougar fans enjoy this experience, besides, this will be the closest thing to a BCS experince that they will ever have, plus it will be something that they will tell their grandkids about. Although they will surely not mention the final score when they get pounded. Utah is the only team that would make me nervous playing them in average at best conference. GO OU!!!

• utah fan
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:25 p.m.

i dislike byu....yeah i said it. i'm a diehard ute fan that hates our rival. i'll cheer for all the other mwc teams to do well, but not byu. yes Y fans.....its true! i do not like watching byu win...in anything! you know whats funny? is that my own elders quorum president said today that it "warms his heart" when utah loses. its probably true! its a rivalry, we dont like you and u dont like us. we dont cheer for you. go get pounded in texas.

• Wayne Rout
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:26 p.m.

I agree with the article. I have been fortunate to attend several important games. They are memories that I will never forget. If you are a real fan...you need to be there is there is any possibly way. Go Cougars.

• AZUte
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:47 p.m.

Please represent the MWC well and beat OU and FSU.

• MiP
    Aug. 2, 2009 7:09 p.m.

Why is it when there are negative comments a good share of the Y fans are quick to say they are U supporters. A great share of the comments are from individuals who don't state their allegiance. In fact, many ute fans who have, have also stated they would like to see BYu win. So enough with the whole Y fans are a class above thing.

Having said that I cannot stand OU, their coach or their stinkin tradition. I would like nothing better than to see the Y win.

But I'm not dumb.

OU should win by at least 14. At what point cougar fans will you suggest a moral victory?

• No Secondary
    Aug. 2, 2009 7:14 p.m.

The major constraint keeping BYU from winning is BYU's DBs. Not enough speed to do man to man coverage, the atheletic receivers and a great QB will exploit this. BYU will score but just wont be able to to contain OU's offense. Therefore 3 touchdown loss. As a Ute fan I want BYU to win but don't think it will happpen for the reasons above. The label, BYU's defense: slowest D1 defense in the country. If you can't cover slot and wide outs man to man tremendous disadvantage.

• LDS Texan
    Aug. 2, 2009 7:19 p.m.

Hope it will be televised. Can't wait to see BYU LOSE!!!!!!

• FL UTE
    Aug. 2, 2009 7:41 p.m.

Go Cougs. Give your best, BCS is not that great, and we'll scrap with each other in November.

Prediction...
    OU 38
    BYU 21

By the way, remember:
    Utes 31 Bama 17
    and
    Utes 48 BYU 24

• Sorry, BYU
    Aug. 2, 2009 8:34 p.m.

How well does BYU do in "BIG" games? It looks like 15,000 fans are going to leave unhappy! At least they can't make the excuse that they didn't have any fans at the game. The quest will end on the first day.

• Henry Drummond
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:07 p.m.

Very impressive. Both Utah and BYU "travel well" and that is good for the conference. I'm a die hard Utah fan, but this is one where you got to root for the team down south. After Utah stomping on Alabama, BYU clobbering Oklahoma would be great.

• National title game
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:20 p.m.

This is it, no pressure, win this game and this is your national title, you go in with no injuries (which you may not be able to say at end of season.)
    I love byu and I also love the Sooners, both schools have great coaches. OU scored 60 points a game for something like 5 or 6 games. I want byu to win, and our defense will have to play perfect to do so, and much of our defense is back, and I like Tonga as FB who is back, but I do not see byu winning this. Yes, we have a shot, it may be close at halftime, but OU's coach is probably the best in the country, if OU makes an error, their coach knows how to fix it quick. Go Blue.

• Road
    Aug. 2, 2009 9:29 p.m.

BYU does not play on the road well nor do they play well early in the season. It takes 3 games for the offense to jell.

The big weakness is the secondary. They do not have the speed needed to stop OU. That tends to open up the running game. OU tends to run up the score.

BYU has the O line, the QB and enough running and passing offense. They will never win another championship without a defense (a much better defense).

The reason ESPN choose BYU is simple. They do not want BYU to win or even get close to a BCS bowl. They know BYU is a lousy road team and a slow starter. Tag them with a lose early and take them out of national contention late. ESPN hates BYU and always has. They are afraid BYU's easy schedule will allow them to move up in the rankings late.

BYU will benefit even though they get kicked. It will help their recruiting and they will be on national TV. They have to get better TV exposure to get better recruits.

If this were at Provo they may have a chance.

Aug. 2, 2009 10:25 p.m.

This Utah fan hopes BYU plays well and wins. End of story.

I predict BYU will play better offensively than Oklahoma expects, and that BYU's run defense will surprise as well. I don't know how BYU's secondary keeps Bradford and mates under control, unless some monster pass-rush lurks somewhere.

Also, what would it take to calm down most of the people who post on these comment boards?

• Chester
    Aug. 2, 2009 10:37 p.m.

BYU will get a big boost this week. It will be announced that D-lineman Russel Tialaveia will leave on his mission after the 2009 season sometime in January which will undoubtedly elevate the Cougars chances at an upset bid. They can do it. Boise State did it and so can BYU. GO COUGS!!!!!

• Y Fan
    Aug. 3, 2009 8:52 a.m.

One of the funnest things for Ute fans is to rile up BYU fans by making negative comments about BYU and then watching the fireworks. They say that BYU fans are "all the same" and then make their negative comments knowing that any fan will make comments and thus they have a self fulfilling prophecy.
    BYU fans: JUST INGNORE THEM!
    While it would be great if BYU won this game; it is true that we have not played well against the big time teams since the inception of the MWC. Most people in Oklahoma are against Mormons and they will have an easy time "getting up" to play BYU. OU has one of the best teams in the nation right now and they will put up a lot of points on us.
    Unless Max can pass to a number of DIFFERENT receivers this will not even be close. I hope we can keep it close, but I don't expect it from the current team. Perhaps we can get back to it and start taking on some power houses with the expectation of winning some of them in the future. Yes, I will root for them. Go COUGS!

• D. Ecks
    Aug. 3, 2009 9:37 a.m.

re: Utah | 10:32 a.m. Aug. 2, 2009

//I am a huge Utah fan but I really hope that BYU plays well against OU and represents the MWC well. Go Cougs!//

Yeah, but what about the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th qtrs when OU has the game well under control?

re: Grow UP YEWTS | 11:37 a.m. Aug. 2, 2009
    //Hey Ute Fans grow up...You want BYU to win. You want them to put it up so it helps the MWC and then you can beat the Cougs and it looks better. I can't believe how ignorant you fans are. I went to the game and BYU fans cheer for their team and the YEWT fans cheer against the BYU fans. It was pretty sad to see. Class baby. Class//

A lecture on maturity from key jingling, tortilla throwing, popcorn popping on the apricot tree singing Zoob? Now thats comedy & irony all wrapped up in 1 pretty little package.

• Bring your Maalox
    Aug. 3, 2009 9:53 a.m.

Better bring your Maalox or barf bag if you are a BYU fan. This is going to be a slaughter. I am guessing 55 to 14 for Oklahoma! I guess it will be fun to see the new Cowboys stadium and all but don't expect much of a game - BYU doesn't match up with OU. Sam Bradford - probably the best QB in the nation against BYU's high school defense? YIKES!!!!

• Hey Matt
    Aug. 3, 2009 10:00 a.m.

The Cougs will probably lose the game but the experience of heading out to Texas with Family and Friends would be Awesome. I'm envious of all who are going out. Should be a memorable experience. I know a lot of LDS youth groups from the region are organizing to go to the game. The Cougs will be well represented.

• Its a W if....
    Aug. 3, 2009 10:07 a.m.

I'll consider it a Win if BYU keeps the loss within 14 points.

OU = 41
    BYU = 27

BYU WINS. WOO-HOO! That is TOTALLY a win if BYU can keep the score respectable.

• Andy
    Aug. 3, 2009 10:46 a.m.

You think the BYU-TCU game was ugly last year? This will be worse. BYU will be breaking in a new O-line. Oklahoma's D will be all over Hall. The only hope will be to get Unga running early and try to keep the defense honest. But Anae will try to throw. Maybe some quick routes to Pitta will help ease the pressure. Still, it will be a slaughter.

• Crimson Club
    Aug. 3, 2009 10:49 a.m.

Miracles happen!

Aug. 3, 2009 11:11 a.m.

re: Anonymous | 3:45 p.m. Aug. 2, 2009

//Ute fans may take the bus to away games, but BYU fans can afford to fly, thank you.//

Large families and can afford to fly? Really? The MLM's must be doing well in a shady economy.

Explain the caravan on 1-15 southbound last christmas.

re: Its a W if.... | 10:07 a.m. Aug. 3, 2009

But, there go the BCS hopes & dreams and then we get the spin how the goal is and always was to win the conference and go to LV and get trounced by a mediocre Pac10 team.

• CrimsonUte
    Aug. 3, 2009 11:13 a.m.

"15,000 BYU fans headed to Dallas" - If only they would stay there after the game ;)

Y, please do the conference proud.

• D. Ecks
    Aug. 3, 2009 11:53 a.m.

re: Hey Matt | 10:00 a.m. Aug. 3, 2009

//If we can handle the Wyoming fans in Laramie we can handle the OU fans in Texas.//

Not even the Longhorns can handle the OU fans in the annual Red River Shootout.

If memory serves, Alot of Zoobs are scared to go to Rice-Eccles because of the heathen yewties.

Imagine how psychologically scarred some Y fans will be after dealing w/ fans with less than ideal morals outside of Zion. It'll make the grunge listening dirt balls in Seattle seem like Nirvana (pun intended).

• Why so many Utes here?
    Aug. 3, 2009 12:24 p.m.

Why are there so many Ute fans leaving comments on a story about BYU? Are the Utes disapointed that they did not get picked for this game? Any fan in the Mountain west should hope that all confrence teams win non confrence games! Come on, in a way we are all rooting for the Mountain west.

• jefe57
    Aug. 3, 2009 12:42 p.m.

There are a few that would love to see BYU get thrashed. Personally, I would rather see a thrashing than see us play a 1-AA team. I also think BYU underachieved last year. Swollen heads may have played a part in that. The O-line doesn't return a lot of starters, but the guys playing aren't inexperienced. The defensive secondary is what scares me against a Heisman trophy winner. I don't expect BYU to win, but I expect them to play tough. The national exposure will be worth it if BYU can keep the score respectable. A win just makes the future (2010) look that much brighter.

• Utes
    Aug. 3, 2009 1:04 p.m.

As a Ute fan I was severely disappointed at number of BYU fans who hoped the Utes would do poorly in their BCS appearances. Too many of them said they secretly wished to see Utah lose, even if it hurts the conference.

Now that the shoe is turned (for one game) I am appalled to see the same BYU fans using the same argument Ute fans used for cheering for the conference.

So, which way is it? You can't have it both ways.

• Big Deal?
    Aug. 3, 2009 1:32 p.m.

There were 50,000 Utah fans at the Fiesta Bowl.

And almost 12,000 at the Rose Bowl to face UCLA.

Why is this news?

Aug. 3, 2009 2:22 p.m.

When it comes to college football loyalties in this fans opinions its the SEC (Auburn, LSU, & UGa primarily), the Utes, & the rest.

I despise Stanford, Notre Dame, & Ohio St. Don't feel bad Zoobs I am completely indifferent to the Y... their fans well that is another story altogether.

• James M. Brady
    Aug. 3, 2009 5:45 p.m.

This will be Max Halls first and last game of the season. That's to bad because I would have loved to see Utah clean his clock again this year, but OU will knock him out of the game with a season ending injury.

• Vegas Baby
    Aug. 3, 2009 6:34 p.m.

If you Ute fans are so certain of a BYU drubbing, I have a wagering suggestion. Come to Las Vegas and wager your next house payment on Oklahoma and the over. That would be easy to cash if the score is 62-10 and you have a house payment left over. If not, just remember not to erase the 2009 Sugar Bowl game from the DVR--it will be the Ute Football highlight of the year.

• Remember Boise State
    Aug. 3, 2009 9:52 p.m.

Oklahoma is NOT invincible. Look what happened in the Fiesta Bowl when the Broncos took it to them in Phoenix. It very well could happen again in Dallas.

Aug. 3, 2009 11:01 p.m.

Hey Defense-

How about a really solid sack in the first quarter? Make their QB see stars, and then the rest of the team will finish with solid discipline for the win.

• Long way to go...
    Aug. 4, 2009 7:30 a.m.

...to watch a lousy BYU team get stomped.
    Mikey

• Ok not invincible is right..
    Aug. 4, 2009 9:15 a.m.

..but it will take a good team to beat them. BYU is not a good team. A bunch of soft missionaries ain't gonna get it done.
    Try to keep them from scoring 70. That in itself will be a victory.
    Joe

• G.K. Willington
    Aug. 4, 2009 9:17 a.m.

re: Remember Boise State | 9:52 p.m. Aug. 3, 2009

It seems like the only place OU loses is the Fiesta Bowl.

Anything is possible but the Sooners losing on 9/5 is very unlikely.

After the game, I same sure Maxie could get a job as groundskeeper @ the shrine to Jerry Jones' ego as he'll have numerous opportunities to inspect the turf.

• To the Utes
    Aug. 4, 2009 11:07 a.m.

For all the Ute Fans who keep saying BYU will get wiped off the Field on 9/5....what is your prediction for your game on 9/19? Are you so sure that you will beat Oregon?

Lets just cheer for each other for the sake of the MWC conference. I cheered for the Utes last year along with all the MWC teams when they played out of conference. I hope the Utes will beat Oregon. I hope the MWC teams will win all their non-conference games this year. We can bag on each other in November for our game but lets hope for the best for each other until then.

• UteFire
    Aug. 4, 2009 11:32 a.m.

Good Luck Cougars. It will be interesting to see what happens... but anything goes in college football. I would feel more comfortable if Lavell was at the "command post" playing a game like this but maybe we will see if Bronco has it in him and is not just playing the cool "command general" part like he seems to be.

Really... good luck.

• To "The Utes"
    Aug. 4, 2009 1:16 p.m.

No...I'll not pull for BYU just because they are in the conference. They didn't do squat to help the conference last season.
    They are weaker than last year, with a bunch of battle-UNtested RM's, a panicky QB, a mealy coach.
    This is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

OK is going to show you what real football is all about. This is going to be a lesson. I hope there are no big injuried, but would still keep the first-aid kit and golf cart handy.
    And I'll give the Cougs 44 points.

Good luck in your rightful position of doormat this season.

Ute fan in Seattle.

• 15,000?
    Aug. 4, 2009 2:05 p.m.

Any chance they can stay in Texas?
    Mike

• twisted yootie
    Aug. 4, 2009 9:15 p.m.

re:payback time... | 10:41 a.m. Aug. 2, 2009

//Here's one Ute that will be cheering for every Max Hall completion, Harvey Unga rush, and Dennis Pita touchdown.//

Sellout. But MWC commish Craig Thompson beat U to it by capitulating and signing the contract to observe and keep the status quo exactly that.

• Bender Rodriguez
    Aug. 5, 2009 9:39 a.m.

re: 15,000? | 2:05 p.m. Aug. 4, 2009

//Any chance they can stay in Texas?//

Depends on how big the ranch in Crawford is.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Aug. 6, 2009 10:37 a.m.

I wonder if Jesus will be going to the game to watch His team play?

• You are out of your mind!
    Aug. 6, 2009 1:59 p.m.

Someone made a comment that there were 50,000 Utah fans at the Sugar Bowl. Seriously?

There was a total attendance of 71,872 at the 2009 Sugar Bowl. Are you really claiming that Utah fans outnumbered Alabama fans by more than 2 to 1?

I dont think so. Everyone stop making stupid comments, especially self righteous comments envoking the words of the Prophet.